Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

My Group Disappeared
Latest: 2 minutes ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 31 minutes ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 56 minutes ago
No photos in Camera Roll .
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Resolved] Stats Sources Not Showing
Latest: 5 hours ago
private photos in albums
Latest: 6 hours ago
Flickr Support?
Latest: 6 hours ago
[Resolved] 504 Bad Gateway
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Pictures from account I dont follow in my Feed
Latest: 7 hours ago
Please, help! I'm not receiving any email notification about activity on my account.
Latest: 8 hours ago
Faves
Latest: 8 hours ago
Not able to log in/migrate my account all pictures lost?
Latest: 13 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Second Life artwork are not photos

Miata Jo says:

Sick and tired of seeing second life images in my search results. I have chosen not to see artwork in my global settings, yet these images keep appearing.

When is the Flickr staff going to fix this?!?!?!?!!?
Posted at 11:16PM, 3 November 2021 PST ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Viejito says:

No matter how many of us dislike those images, Flickr officials have specifically stated that they want Second Life to find a home on Flickr.

The least they could do is recognize it as a separate category, just as videos are categorized different from photographs.
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

CarlaFrancisco says:

Viejito:

Yes, Flickr really should do something about this, it's very annoying to see that c**p all over the place...

view photos

mikerofoto says:

Miata Jo:

It’s been on for years, your best move is to find groups that don’t allow them if you really don’t want to see any.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

This is a Pipe by Thomas Hawk

Ceci n’est pas une pipe.

view photos

etherflyer says:

I seem to recall that used to be an an option to classify an image as "Illustration" rather than "Photograph". If it every existed, it seems to have vanished now, but something like that (if people actually used it) would solve OP's issue…

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Miata Jo:

Sick and tired of seeing second life images in my search results.

What Flickr really needs is for people to be able to *permanently* block people from their search results. Then the first time you see someone posting things that you don't like, second life, commercial spam, 7,000 photos of their kids little league game in a row, etc. you could just block them once in search and get much better results in the future.

But I doubt Flickr ever implements that useful feature.

In the meantime the best workaround is to *temporarily* "hide all photos from this person" (click on the three dots on a photo in your flickr search).

Then after you are done searching save that filtered version as your future start page for searching flickr.

Instead of your search for "neon" looking like this: www.flickr.com/search/?text=neon

It now looks like this:
www.flickr.com/search/?sort=date-posted-desc&media=ph...

It's not the best work around but by bookmarking your *temporary* filtered search term you can exclude a lot of accounts that you don't want to see in the future.

The only problem is that this hack sometimes inexplicably breaks and won't load anymore, so you have to save the bookmark a lot of the time and different versions in case your modified search link breaks or stops working.

view photos

mikerofoto says:

etherflyer:

Illustration/Art / Animation/CGI

That’s in “content type” in group “administration”.
Only group admin can change that, if they don’t want their group to have CGI.

view photos

Jon Siegel says:

I'm kinda with the OP on this, I wish there was a filter to hide them from search results. I'm fine with others considering them as art, I mean, after all, art is subjective. However, I'm on flickr for photography, not screenshots of computer generated arrangements of customised 3D models.

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

Thomas Hawk:

The only problem is that this hack sometimes inexplicably breaks and won't load anymore, so you have to save the bookmark a lot of the time and different versions in case your modified search link breaks or stops working.

That's an interesting hack, and updating and remembering the search url with blocked ids, could eventually be done by a browser extension ;-) ...
But any idea of why your hack/bookmarks sometimes fail?
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )
Stig Nygaard edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Stig Nygaard:

But any idea of why your hack/bookmarks sometimes fail?

I wonder if maybe one of the accounts that I've "temporarily" hidden has maybe been deleted or somehow changed rendering the url incomprehensible somehow? The url itself obviously gets longer and longer and longer every time you hide another account.

Most of the time I have my base "temporarily" blocked search bookmarked and as I search I keep hiding more and more and more, each time I see something I want to filter out.

Eventually it always breaks, but if I hit the back key, sometimes one, sometimes two sometimes 10 pages back, which I think is just undoing what I've already hid one by one, it eventually usually loads again and I just keep going from there until it breaks again.

It sure would be a cool browser extension if somebody who knows what they are doing under the hood could make one. :)

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to mention that if the person uploading content does not select the screenshot or art/animation filter during the upload process, their content can show as a result while searching. This will happen even though you have selected that you do not want to see screenshots or art/animation in your search results.

It is up to the person uploading their content to distinguish their content type.

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

Melanie0426:

It is up to the person uploading their content to distinguish their content type.

Actually, in the old days Flickr would NIPSA members who failed to correctly categorize their content.

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

Melanie0426:

I just wanted to mention that if the person uploading content does not select the screenshot or art/animation filter during the upload process,

But it could be required. And(/Or) the setting could be less hidden when uploading? I only use web-uploader, so don't know about alternatives. But in the web-uploader you have to open "Owner Settings" in left column too see the setting. When open you can select License, Privacy and Content Filter (Safety filter and Content type) options. When closed it only shows your choice of License and Privacy (Visibility). Not Content type choice.
Stig Nygaard edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Loverdag - unedited - says:

Fist of all I have no horse in this race, mine are "screenshots" so nobody who search for "photos" should see them.

But in general there are two (or maybe 3) great issue related to this. The main one Stig already described:
Stig Nygaard:

And(/Or) the setting could be less hidden when uploading? I only use web-uploader, so don't know about alternatives. But in the web-uploader you have to open "Owner Settings" in left column too see the setting. When open you can select License, Privacy and Content Filter (Safety filter and Content type) options. When closed it only shows your choice of License and Privacy (Visibility). Not Content type choice.

Another issue is: once the picture if already uploaded, we dont have access to this setting in Photostream, its not listed in the menu below picture between other options, (speaking of Chrome / Win, Im not familiar with other app ect): gyazo.com/1e62f79157cfe3c5c1dfab5f5cdb3751

And third possible issue is that new Flickr members most likely are not offered any proper tutorial guide showing them these hidden settings with no easy access in Uploader and Photostream.
And / or showing them they may change the default setting in the general account settings, not for each picture in particular.
On the top of that in the general settings it can be found in the tab called "Privacy & Permittions" - which is not logical, because content type "art / photo / illustration" has nothing to do with permittions or privacy. So its again hard to find, not really intuitive.

view photos

Loverdag - unedited -:

But in general there are two (or maybe 3) great issue related to this

Or maybe *four*.

In Organize at least *content type* is represented under tab "permissions" (for Albums in the long menu under tab "batch edit") BUT in Camera Roll "content type" is conspicuously absent (for those who know of this category's existence), after you click on the thumb to edit in the white strip at the bottom.

(At least I have not been able to find it.)

view photos

etherflyer says:

mikerofoto:

The option to define an image as "Art/Illustration" in the uploader is pretty buried — I suspect that many people don't know it exists. (I also suspect that many don't care, but that's a separate problem).

Maybe I'll start flagging Second Life images that are misclassified, and let Flickr sort it out.

view photos

etherflyer says:

Melanie0426:

So if they don't, does Flickr care? Should we report them like we do for other types of miscategorized images (wrong body bits displayed, etc)?

view photos

kundun59 says:

In my poor understanding of how things work on Flickr , group creators can choose what type of photos they accept , uploaders should define what kind of photos they upload at the moment of uploading , a feature FLICKR does not provide right now as the default uploading type is Photo .
I would like to thank Flickr for providing a home for those creators' content

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

etherflyer:

That's an interesting thought to report mis-classified CGI's; if you test this concept, please let us know how it works out.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

AI could easily figure all this out, but that's probably beyond the scope here.

I would add that each user is different in terms of what they want to see in their search results.

I search for "neon" every day looking for more vintage neon signs. While I don't want to see all the SL stuff in that search query, I also don't want to see all the commercial imagery advertising neon signmakers from Mumbai, or the user that uploads 175 in a row badly made Android photos of the non neon Chevron sign down on the corner at the gas station by his house.

A better solution would be to allow us to PERMANENTLY filter users out of our search results. We already can do that temporarily, but what good is that if the same person just keeps coming back day after day after day tagging things with neon that I don't want to see in the future. Why make the user temporarily filter results out of search 100 times when they could just do it once and be done for good with the problematic account?

There may be other users who are annoyed by vintage neon signs but LOVE second life screen grabs and that user could in turn permanently block vintage neon signs in THEIR search results.

Permanent search result blocking would be wonderful.

Ebony and Ivory, living in perfect harmony.

view photos

mcnod says:

etherflyer:

So if they don't, does Flickr care? Should we report them like we do for other types of miscategorized images

According to this article (updated one month ago):
www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/4404058750740-Set-th...

it does appear that flickr terms and guidelines expect second life images to be properly categorized as screenshots and that you would be within your rights to report these as violations when they are classified as photos on flickr.

When you upload content to Flickr, you need to choose where it "fits" in these categories. For example, if you want to upload a screenshot of an online game (e.g. Second Life), you can, but you need to flag it as a screenshot.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

etherflyer:

So if they don't, does Flickr care? Should we report them like we do for other types of miscategorized images (wrong body bits displayed, etc)?

Like I said upthread , in the old days Flickr took action against accounts who passed their screenshots off as photos (either unintentionally or willfully):

view photos

I still think that to punish people from incorrect setting which is
1/ easy to miss hidden in Uploader,
2/ impossible to correct (or even to see!) in their own Photostream (Win, internet browser, I dont know about apps) does not sound right.
In the first step Flickr should fix these hidden issues and to give access in this menu below each picture in Photostream
gyazo.com/2aecae42911a4ad5102241927448ad73

And the definition above of SL as "sceenshot" is misleading - when you hit on screenshot button, save the file and upload it here, then its, indeed, defined as "screenshot". Thats what I do myself, but virtual photographers as myself are most likely minority on Flickr.

After it started with the screenshot as the first step and then people worked on it for hours in photoshop, its not "sceenshot" anymore and should be defined differently, possibly as "artwork" and / or "illustration", depends what edit was given, what technique was chosen.

view photos

And speaking about proper content category, current Flickr is full of collages of real photography, or photography so edited in Photoshop, thats is for consideration if it should be still defined and accepted as "photohraphy" either. (Speaking of real photos, not virtual ones).

To me its not photography anymore if on photo of the forest was photoshopped in deer and fog what was not there when it was photographed.
And thats just very gentle example, on Flickr can be found morphs between real photos or illustration or several real photohos morphed into one and many others "heavier" edits.

Do you consider these "photograpy" still?

Because if you want to start hunt for incorrectly selected content, you need clear definition of the categories first.

view photos

mag3737 says:

The fact that the functionality to set content-type to "screenshot" is downplayed and/or hidden (depending on where you're looking) might imply that Flickr considers this distinction to be unimportant nowadays.

This in turn might imply that they are not going to respond, react, or even care if improperly designated content is reported.

But I said "might" in both cases. We don't have any way to know.

view photos

Mark McDonald [blueelise] says:

Melanie0426:

There are some really useful and constructive comments on how Flickr could improve the user experience both for uploading and consequentially searching in this thread.

It would be nice for Flickr to acknowledge this is an issue and indicate they will look to improve it.

I have nothing against digital art but I also have no interest in seeing it, so I also object to being unable to filter it out of my global searches.

view photos

Mark McDonald [blueelise] says:

Loverdag - unedited -:

Another great point.

I look to Flickr for inspiration for my own photography.
I do modify contrast, saturation, sharpness and exposure balance.
On the odd occasion I may clone out something small but I state this normally.
This may be too much for some.

For me, a blend of locations or adding in things that were not there would be too much, as I would be looking to be inspired to something that would be unachievable with my own ethics.

But I understand it would need to be a big filter to account for everyone's ethics and taste.

However, I do think photography and digital art are fundamentally different.
Nothing wrong we either but one I am interested in and one I am not.

view photos

mcnod says:

Loverdag:

Do you consider these "photograpy" still?

Perhaps we should take it to the limit - perhaps analog film is the only true photography on flickr. No, wait, there are darkroom procedures and techniques that alter the end result there as well.

view photos

mcnod:

Perhaps we should take it to the limit - perhaps analog film is the only true photography on flickr. No, wait, there are darkroom procedures and techniques that alter the end result there as well.
Some people maybe didnt understand my point, so let me exaplain one more.
My point was: show one picture to several people, they will label it differently, its subjective.

And do we need these categories? Mostly outdated not reflecting todays technologies, when heavy edit can be done even on phones and the borders between different types or artistic techniques are blurry - why to try to put labels not really covering all options then?

We all probably agree that real photography + artworks based on real photography should be separated from other types of virtual artwork. But I dont think we need all current categories to do so.

My suggestion how to solve that would be to dismiss current content types and to replace them by two categories only + to fix the access to this settings as I said above.

It would give the option to search for real photography based works only OR to search for other types of artworks (not based on real photography) only.

view photos

Mark McDonald [blueelise]:

I have nothing against digital art but I also have no interest in seeing it, so I also object to being unable to filter it out of my global searches.

Thats perfectly understandable.

And we - on the other side of situation - would may welcome option to search only for virtual artworks. Which we dont have right now. For the instance when I search for name of particular virtual place in Second life, I get real photography results, event when the name is not usual and I though it does not exist in real life - so basically for our purposes the current search does not work at all.

About that we are on same page.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

I use search on Flickr every day and aggressively use the "temporarily hide all photos from this person" feature.

Temporarily Hide All Photos From This Person by thomashawkblog

I bet that 99% of my use of that feature is used on free accounts vs. paid Pro accounts.

As a perk for paying for Pro, why not give us a simple toggle filter in advance search where we can toggle to only see free accounts or only see Pro accounts in our search results.

Imagine how much better Flickr Search Results could look without all the spam in them.

view photos

mcnod says:

Loverdag:

Fist of all I have no horse in this race, mine are "screenshots" so nobody who search for "photos" should see them.

Here are your images marked as "photos":
www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=89022498%40N04&view_al...
1230 items

Here are your images marked as "screenshots":
5523 items

Here are your images marked as "art/illustration":
0 items

I do think it was a flickr mistake to remove the classifications from the individual photo pages.

view photos

mcnod:

Here are your images marked as "photos":
1230 items

Yes, they are old ones posted many years before there was the staff statement quoted above. And most likely before I back then discovered this hidden option in my settings. Im sure you did notice they are all from my early years after I joined back then 2012.
Thats why I repeatedly pointed out earlier in this thread the options need to be fixed to be less hidden.

Idk about today but "photos" were back at 2012-2015 set as default, so it happened with every upload the user didnt change manualy. If it remains today, one more reason Flickr should look at it and help new users in this regard.

gyazo.com/02f37cc04af64eb0a0f4d7edb035c78b
It says zero, I dont understand the point.

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

Loverdag - unedited -:
What I'd like to understand is the motivation for posting the SL images at all. From the random samples I've seen, the images resemble screen captures from older video games. Is it a deliberate stylistic choice to adopt that look or is SL not designed to create photorealistic images?

view photos

ThatEerieEric says:

Gray Lensman QX!:

Why do people take photos of their food?

Why do people take photos of their dogs or children?

Why do people do anything at all?

You all are getting up in arms about SL photos being posted on a website that doesn't really give two shits and a hand grenade. This entire thread is pointless and serves no purpose other then to give people a reason to complain. I love actual photography and SL photography, I observe both on this site and I for one, am thankful there is a place for me to express my own creativity, even if its SL photography.

view photos

xxmoonwitch says:

I've gone to university and studied Fine Arts; part of my study involved photography. Second life is an amazing social platform, but it also has some amazing photography tools that mimic actual camera functions. It's a great tool for experts and beginners alike to learn photography, who might not be able to afford a DSLR or any other sort of camera IMO.
And honestly, I've seen better artists who are SL photographers than some of the people who are literally frothing at the mouth in this thread. If you don't like it, maybe don't follow groups that allow work that involve Secondlife. Flickr shouldn't to be forced to remove a load of content just because it makes -you- angry.
Honestly, this just comes across as nick picking and elitism for the most part, though I can agree that categories might help the 'issue'.

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

ThatEerieEric:

No need to get testy. If you don't post SL images, my question wasn't directed at you. I'm genuinely curious as to why they post those images. Is it an SL community tradition for example (everybody is expected to post their images on Flickr)?

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

xxmoonwitch:

I'd be interested in seeing some of those photorealistic SL images you mentioned. Would you please post a few links?

view photos

etherflyer says:

xxmoonwitch:

Flickr shouldn't to be forced to remove a load of content just because it makes -you- angry.

I don't see anyone saying that they should be removed. People are saying that they should be classed as 'screenshot' or 'art/illustration' rather than 'photograph'.

view photos

ThatEerieEric says:

Gray Lensman QX!:

I clearly do though and who its being directed at doesn't matter, this is a public thread. You took the time to reply, just as I did to you. Its how threads work.

and rather then look at me being testy, read what was said; Why do people do anything? Why do you post photographs of fake dinosaurs and airplanes? Why do you post videos of said airplanes? I'm gonna take a stab at this.

You take photographs of those things because they look cool to you, or maybe it holds importance? Maybe you are trying to keep a portfolio or maybe even... just you know for fun? We do the same thing, literally. Except I use this account purely for SL shots and ideas.

Just because it's not the traditional method of something doesn't mean it doesn't belong. This thread legit has no meaning other then 'Flickr needs to update its search features and or people need to type out what they are searching for rather then one word.'
ThatEerieEric edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

Stacy Alpha says:

Gray Lensman QX!:

There are a good amount who take somewhat realistic photos like heres a few that come to mind immediatelly ::

www.flickr.com/photos/vnat/
www.flickr.com/photos/193042327@N04/
www.flickr.com/photos/154309032@N05/
www.flickr.com/photos/110898173@N04/ [More sci-fi oriented but still great]

People here may think it doesnt take much to post these kind of screenshots,but I assure you, it takes hours and years to get better at taking these pictures along with editing them to each of their tastes. There is alot of talent and expression hidden among the community that has grown here on Flickr...
I do wish that Flickr would make it easier to properly set pictures to not spam people with things they're not interested in...But trying to trash a whole community is just disrespectful to their work...
Anyway , thats my hot take kbaiii

view photos

Gray Lensman QX!:

No need to get testy. If you don't post SL images, my question wasn't directed at you. I'm genuinely curious as to why they post those images. Is it an SL community tradition for example (everybody is expected to post their images on Flickr)?

Why do people take real photos of ... whatever they picture? Each photographer has some reason, probably not exactly same as you do - each of us is unique and has our own unique reasons why we do what we do. There is no difference between real photographers and SL ones in this regard. And as SL users we are individuals having different reasons as well, thats not like Second life community has hive mind or something.

Gray Lensman QX!:
Is it a deliberate stylistic choice to adopt that look or is SL not designed to create photorealistic images?

SL is not even designed to look as good as it looks like on my not realistic pictures.
- It is 18 years old
- The content is not created by some gaming company. Its created by us users, each little piece by someone else. Its kinda miracle it all fits somehow together.
- Majority of the creators are not proffessionals, they are hobbyist with different levels of skills.
- Last but not least SL is extremelly demanding in performance optimisation regard because unlike pre-downloaded games (or games which are installed localy and not online) SL renders everything in real time. Compare to games or 3D renders artworks this is completelly different situation and the content needs to be limited for that.
- And being "not game" SL has big part of users not having gaming laptops or other expensive performace focused HW, they cannot really afford to render in real time better graphic settings, so they remain on the low ones.

In given circumstances I think many of us does really good job with both, the content and the pictures. I dont know any 18 years old game/virtual platform looking that good.

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

ThatEerieEric:

Did you bother to read my post? Do you know if there's an SL community tradition of posting their images to Flickr? No? Nor do I.

You should be less defensive on this topic.

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

Stacy Alpha:

Thanks so much for posting those links. The first two are excellent. The latter just not my taste, but they definitely belong. I wish those random samples I'd seen elsewhere rose to those standards.

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

Loverdag - unedited -:

Thanks for explaining.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

One other option for people to consider (not that it's ideal and you miss a lot), but you can always filter your search results by your contacts.

Sometimes when I get tired of all of the spam, or SL, or thoughtless photography in general, I'll start doing my searches and restricting them to people that I follow:

www.flickr.com/search/?sort=date-posted-desc&contacts...

Whiles these searches exclude a lot of good content by people I haven't discovered yet, it does provide a MUCH cleaner search experience on Flickr.

view photos

Alan.Rust says:

Stacy Alpha:

I must admit that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between some (not all) of those examples and photographs. It seems strange to me that members get so upset about this subject (as in the photographic sense), or that subject should not be allowed on flickr. Birds, buses and aeroplanes to name a few "rants" I have seen in HF. Live and let live I say.

view photos

Alan.Rust says:

Gray Lensman QX!:

Yes I agree, the first 2 links are amazing.

view photos

mcnod says:

The more realistic CGI imagery becomes, the more essential (in my opinion) the need to have the creators adhere to the filter system that is in place. I agree with an earlier thought in this thread that overly edited (sometimes broadly referred to as "photoshopped") imagery should be removed from the photo category and placed into either "art/illustration" or maybe a new forth category, but when or where to draw this line would be problematic. For the record, I believe all of the above has it's own place on flickr, and in a perfect world, we would be able to choose what we want to see by filters.

view photos

Alan.Rust says:

mcnod:

Good point, more than one of my photos would fall into this category.

view photos

mcnod says:

Alan.Rust:

more than one of my photos would fall into this category

Mine as well Alan. When I first began to experiment with heavier processing and editing, I asked for guidance from a few long time members who's knowledge of flickr I trusted. The general answer provided at that time was if it came out of a camera, and the photo page clearly indicated this, it could be safely filtered as a photo. This was the course I have followed, but we can (for example) easily turn a photo into a "painting" today with one click. Is it still a photo, I'm not so sure any more, and I would happily adjust some of my filter settings if there were updated, clear, and concise guidelines.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Categories are so problematic that that's probably a huge part of the reason that Flickr has never (publicly) attempted to improve upon the ones that exist, as well as likely a huge part of the reason they more or less abandoned using the "screenshot/illustration" one.

view photos

Hobbyknipsel says:

Miata Jo:

SL promoted by Flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/flickr/galleries/72157719808906461/

and Flickr Staff:
www.flickr.com/groups/flickrsocialmedia/discuss/721577196...
Posted 1 week ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Skell Dagger says:

As a Second Life user of Flickr, all of my images are categorised as 'screenshot'. It may be useful if - when a user's photos are reviewed by Flickr (at the same time they're checked to see if 'safe' or not) - they could be auto-categorised as screenshots, thus the general photography community would not need to see them if they exclude screenshots from their searches.

I'm sorry that many of my fellow Second Life photographers don't tag their images to the OP's liking. I wish they did, as our work - while acknowledged by Flickr staff (and even by the CEO in a previous thread) as just as valid as traditional photography - does still technically comprise screenshots, albeit heavily edited in some cases.

It may surprise some to know that many Second Life photographers take as much care with their shots as traditional photographers. Many of us use specialised viewers that include typical settings (and even more granular options) that one might expect to find on a high-end camera, and many of us use Photoshop to post-process our images. Most of us don't just press 'print screen' and then upload the result.

My own feed is mostly focused on SL fashion, and I don't take anywhere near the same amount of time in post for my images as some other SL photographers do. Many of them create beautiful works of art, whereas my focus lies more in the creative process prior to the shot being taken. It's been a fun creative outlet for me for about the last 13 years.
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )
Skell Dagger edited this topic 8 days ago.

view photos

inSL: Kytteh Wytchwood says:

etherflyer:

I have flagged numerous screenshots and videos that are not filtered correctly, or videos that are filled with pornography. I've done it before the new reporting system and after it was implemented. My reports go unnoticed. It would be a waste of time for you to do reports, when Flickr staff does nothing. I have also checked back in a week, to see if the porn videos have been taken down or the account, and content/ account still available. Reporting again also did nothing.

view photos

inSL: Kytteh Wytchwood says:

xxmoonwitch:

You do know how the SL community on Flickr will post screenshots to unrelated groups, especially to real life photography and art groups. This can make these members upset with the spam that is sent to their groups on the daily, numerous times per day.
These same people may follow SL TOS, in fear of having their account deleted. They do not show the same respect here with Flickr's TOS, even though this website graciously hosts the content and expects each registered user to comply with the guidelines.
Don't put blame on the members of the real life content but to those people who refuse to click links from the website to read and learn about the website they upload their screenshots and videos to.

view photos

inSL: Kytteh Wytchwood:

You do know how the SL community on Flickr will post screenshots to unrelated groups

"Community" is not doing that. Some people do that.

And they are on both sides of the situation: there are real photographers posting their photos into SL only groups as well. Or not having them properly moderated etc.
Because SOME people just dont care (or dont understand the settings).

But please dont call them "community" because both communities SL&real photographers come with Flickr users of all types, the ones who follow rules and the ones who dont.

"SL community" is not responsible for them, same as "real community" is not responsible for them either.
Each of them is responsible for themselves.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Icy SL says:

Some SL stuff is art. We also use photographic techniques and/or post edit. All of us, SL, life, decide for ourselves what our work is. SL work can fit into various categories.

There are junk images from SL and junk images from life. Somehow I have managed to filter out 90 percent of what I think is garbage.
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads