Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 5 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

Spam e -mails from Flickr
Latest: 47 minutes ago
Photo,s not showing Problem
Latest: 52 minutes ago
How to Block an Admin of Pool which troll it since many yeras
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] View counter fixed
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Staff Response] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 3 hours ago
pending queue problem
Latest: 4 hours ago
Layout of Photostream
Is there a way to delete myself from all my groups at once?
iOS app fails to scroll/display 2nd ‘page’ of faves
Latest: 6 hours ago
Favourite lists
Latest: 7 hours ago
What has happened last night?
Latest: 14 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] Difficulty logging in
Latest: 14 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Feed page vs. People page

mag3737 says:

The Feed page does not show the same photos as the People page. It goes both ways: Sometimes a photo is on one but not the other, and sometimes it's the other way around.

Whenever I've seen a photo on Feed but not People, I've noticed that the Upload date is far in the past, so I've guessed/assumed that it turned up on my Feed now because the person has just made it Public. That was strange at first, but I've gotten used to it (and probably "benefited" from it myself as I sometimes keep photos Private for some time after uploading).

But I cannot explain the other way around. Today there is a brand new image from one of my contacts on my People page, but it is not on my Feed.

Is this a bug, or is there another explanation?

The photo in question is from Flickr's own account. www.flickr.com/photos/flickr
Is this the explanation? Even so, it diminishes confidence in the completeness of the Feed, which I understand that we have been encouraged to prefer over using the People page.
Posted at 10:19AM, 21 October 2021 PST ( permalink | reply )
Melanie0426 (staff) edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

ernstkers says:

I see something similar. Of the a member I follow, the most recent photos in the Feed were uploaded on October 19th, but I never saw those photos on the People page.

At the other hand of that same member are three photos on the People page uploaded October 20th, which fail in the Feed.

So to be sure to see all photos of people I follow, apparently I have to check both pages. And perhaps also their photostreams in case their newest uploads don't show up at all in the Feed or on the People page. I didn't do that yet, so I don't know what I might have missed...
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Richard Harvey UK says:

A Flickr member I follow quite frequently doesn’t show up on either feed so I have to remember to go directly to his photostream, which I’m unlikely to do very often. As he’s based in Europe (as am I) it seems he might be uploading at very unsociable hours of our morning (not sure what difference that would make as I see uploads from Australia ok)…
I did mention it to him at one point, he was aware of it.
Richard Harvey UK edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Since I'm comparing closely today, I've found another example in each "direction": one that is in Feed but not People, and another that is in People but not Feed.

The one that's in Feed but not People has an upload date of about 9 days ago, and the member has uploaded several photos since then, and so this photo does not make the "top 5". (I don't think I realized that the People page only shows the newest 5 photos AT ALL from each contact. I always figured it was something more like "5 from now, 5 from their previous batch, 5 from the one before that, etc.". But this is an aside.)

(Edit: Meant to add that this photo still apparently conforms to the "newly made Public" hypothesis.)

The one that's in People but not Feed makes me confused, as noted in the OP. This one is not from an official Flickr account, but just an ordinary member, so that rules out that (already seemingly improbable) possibility.
mag3737 edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

littletinperson says:

i suspect this is related to reduction in views some people are talking about. i suspect many people rely on activity feed. if images aren't showing up there, they aren't getting views.

hey flickr ...

view photos

mag3737 says:

Found another one that is in Feed but not People, and also the first time I've seen that the "upload date" hypothesis has been contradicted. The photo was uploaded yesterday and is currently this member's 2nd newest (public) photo. So much for that idea.

Flickr staff, is this a known bug?

view photos

triciabeardow says:

mag3737:

I'm having this problem too ,just found another post in the feed but not people .I suspect my photos are not visible to my contacts either until the next day ,judging by my views !
Plus the time posted in the feed is always wrong , of my two photos today one was posted during the night while I slept and the second this afternoon says 11 hours ago !
Still happening on my photos ,contacts not seeing my posts until the next day ,not everyone uses the feed !
triciabeardow edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

ernstkers says:

I just got an email notification that somebody I follow uploaded a picture in the last two hours. I went to the feed, it wasn't there, the most recent uploaded from somebody else already several hours old. I went to the "people" page, there it was, at the top as the most recent anybody I follow uploaded. I went back to the feed, it still wasn't there.

Remark, this is about a picture of the same member as I reported earlier:
ernstkers:

Of the a member I follow, the most recent photos in the Feed were uploaded on October 19th, but I never saw those photos on the People page.

At the other hand of that same member are three photos on the People page uploaded October 20th, which fail in the Feed.

Obvious there is a bug that makes that photos that should be in the feed never make it there.
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

Hi everyone,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have alerted our engineers since I was able to replicate the issue on my end.

I will follow up in this thread with any updates.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Melanie0426:

Thank you Melanie.

view photos

mag3737 says:

More examples of "People but not Feed" today (apparent brand new uploads). I can provide links if it is helpful.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Today: 3 photos from one contact in People but not Feed; that contact's newest 3 uploads.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Update: 2 more photos from a different contact, in People but not Feed. These are the contact's newest 2 uploads, within the past hour or so. His previous 2 uploads (yesterday) do appear in both People and Feed.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

mag3737:

Thanks! I will let the team know.

view photos

mag3737 says:

There have been more. It seems to be that there are a couple of new ones every day. I have not noticed any patterns (e.g. whether it is always the same person), but I have not been meticulously recording any info, either.

Should I be recording any info? If it would help, please let me know.

view photos

Kaometet says:

I noticed this a long time ago, I thought it was engineered like this.
I always check the people page, never the feed.

view photos

my.travels says:

This issue still keeps continue. When I go to my "people" page it is shown that there are 745 photos on that page. However, I can only see 48 of them.

Update: Now more photos but still not 745. Since the introduction of new notifications I have been using the feeder to follow. Just a couple of minutes ago, I noticed that I missed many uploads by the users in my following list.

I have a feeling that all the DB or the script running the DB is messed up.
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )
my.travels edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Still noticing this anomaly, maybe not every day, but most days. Usually only about 1 photo, maybe 2, on days that I notice it.
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

my.travels says:

mag3737:

Same here.

view photos

OzGFK says:

Melanie0426:

Hi Melanie,

Can you please make the feed page the same format as the people page? The feed page is very inefficient to view updates to groups.

view photos

littletinperson says:

Melanie0426:

what's the team doing about this? an update would be appreciated.

view photos

mag3737 says:

OzGFK:

Can you please make the feed page the same format as the people page? The feed page is very inefficient to view updates to groups.

This issue is not related to the topic of this thread. You should post your suggestion in the "ideas" thread here:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157714720744427/page12/
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

mag3737 says:

Meanwhile, I'm just popping in to report that I'm still FOMO-in' every time I visit the Feed page. Almost every day that I check the People page by comparison, I can find photo(s) on my People page that are not on my Feed.

view photos

OzGFK says:

mag3737:

Thanks mate.

I still feel it is relevant to the feed homepage and how you can find photos from your contacts / people without having to go into the actual people link.

Having one feed page and swapping between contacts and groups within that feed (which is tries to do already) would be great.
OzGFK edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Basic LA says:

What and where is a Feed Page?

view photos

mag3737 says:

Basic LA:

What and where is a Feed Page?

This is Flickr's name for what they consider to be your home page -- the page that shows for you when you (are logged in and) visit just plain "flickr.com".

view photos

Basic LA says:

mag3737:

Ah, I never knew that. Thanks!

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads