Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 6 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

Gallery - What's this view of it ? (reply: Design before the 2018 Gallery page re-design.)
Latest: 3 hours ago
Search box top right anomaly
Latest: 5 hours ago
Does Anyone Know ?
Why.
Recently uploaded albums only partially displayed
Latest: 7 hours ago
Group Cover Photo Can't Be Changed in Beta version
Latest: 9 hours ago
4K Apple TV - Flickr App not working
Latest: 19 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Feed page vs. People page
Latest: 20 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] panda........
Latest: 21 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Sudden drop in overall views.
Latest: 26 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 26 hours ago
No New Notifications
Latest: 2 days ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

why my safe photos are beeing restriced by the bot?

♛ゆきお♛ says:

safe picture are beeing rated as restricted i wonder why? i heard from someone when this happens is because someone denunced if it is that why they do this ?
Posted at 12:08PM, 13 October 2021 PDT ( permalink | reply )

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405279492500-The-Fl...

Partial quote:

"What if the bot is wrong?
Mistakes happen & we realize the bot can sometimes miss the mark and over-restrict content that is actually "Moderate", or even "Safe."

If your photo is incorrectly flagged by the Moderation bot, you may manually override it by changing your content back to the appropriate safety level. Please keep in mind the guidelines when doing so.
We will continue to monitor bot performance & make adjustments as necessary.
"
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

mag3737 says:

More highly recommended reading (also linked from the article that Mabel quoted):

blog.flickr.net/en/2020/12/16/using-auto-moderation-to-im...

view photos

xhello my name isx says:

I'm having the same problem! I just uploaded a photo of my tattoo, a mermaid tail, on the face. It's a zoomed in closeup shot of the face. How is this restricted???
It's not like a realistic tail, more like an animal marking. I was inspired by a cat markings I saw.
The bot needs to be reprogrammed.

view photos

mag3737 says:

xhello my name isx:

As noted in both of the articles mentioned here, Flickr knows this. Help them improve the bot -- send Flickr feedback about your false positive by using the direct contact form:
www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

view photos

xhello my name isx says:

mag3737:

I've just submitted my issue via the contact us under the help page.

view photos

xhello my name isx says:

mag3737:

I wanted to reply to this thread, since it's also happening to another member.

view photos

Adrian Royle says:

It happened to one of my photos a few minutes ago, totally ridiculous as I've uploaded many thousands of very similar photos for the last 13 years with no problem whatsoever. I manually changed it to Safe.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Adrian Royle:

totally ridiculous as I've uploaded many thousands of very similar photos for the last 13 years with no problem whatsoever.

The bot has not existed for 13 years, and it seems to be primarily focused on new uploads. Read the linked articles above (one posted by Mabel, one posted by me) for more information.

view photos

SJH Foto says:

I deal with several of these errors per job. I know we are suggested to inform the flickr staff when this happens, but for months now, I just get a generic acknowledgement that they are working on the problem, without much of a change. Don't get me wrong-I really like flickr-it is a good platform for my clients to see their photos, choose them, and purchase them.

I just think that the flickr staff spends their time and energy on the wrong things and not enough on genuine errors and problems
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

conall.. says:

SJH Foto:

i think the expectation should be that your reports of false positives are used to continuously refine the algorithm rather than that you will get some direct feedback specific to your false positive report.

Adrian Royle:
a bot like this will never be 100% accurate in identifying unsafe content (whether from positive or negative predictive perspective). Complaining that it is "totally ridiculous" that it is not 100% accurate is just unreasonable. In any case it is so easy to fix and report the false positive.
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

arthuralex says:

♛ゆきお♛:

I tried to post a picture of CLAMS and the bot tagged it restricted. Given the number of people suddenly having the same issue its obvious something's VERY wrong with the bot and it needs to be recalibrated.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

conall.. says:

arthuralex: it is an algorithm. Look at your clam picture. I can see exactly what it "thought"

How much effort was it to reset the safety level on your photo to safe and submit a report to help improve the algorithm (assuming you did actually do this??).

What evidence do you have that regarding "Given the number of people suddenly having the same issue" ?

Using a bot to find inappropriately flagged unsafe images seems a good initiative for Flickr to put in place - false positives are inevitable and to me pretty unimportant. "Recalibration" is also a good idea but will be a gradual and iterative process.

the 5 folk in this thread appearing indignant about individual images generating false positives and them having to reset it manually seems to me to be very self-centred and totally missing the bigger picture and greater good.

Just submit a report that helps gradually improve the algorithm.

arthuralex: that picture looks more like a barnacle than a clam to me?

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

arthuralex:

I tried to post a picture of CLAMS and the bot tagged it restricted.

Clams are incredibly sexy.

Anyway, where are these sexy clams in your stream?

Edited to include questionmark
MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest edited this topic 7 days ago.

view photos

Coyoty says:

If the clams were geoducks, I'm not surprised. Even if they're tastefully geopositioned.
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

conall.. says:

Coyoty:

they seem to have structures that look like cirri (legs) so thats why i thought they looked more like goose barnacles rather than any kind of mollusc.

view photos

mag3737 says:

There's an article in NYT today about how the Vienna Tourist Board is now on OnlyFans because of the ability to display nude fine art online (in their social media). This quote -- which was referring explicitly (no pun intended) -- to FB, IG, and TikTok) struck me as interesting:

Despite the flexibility of the platforms’ guidelines, museums and other institutions that post photos of art have found that instances of nudity have not always been deemed acceptable. Part of the reason could be that on social media, censorship is less a matter of public opinion than the sensitivity of artificial intelligence, which is used to flag content that violates a site’s guidelines.

My two immediate thoughts:

1) OMG all the other social media use AI to flag content? Well, I am shocked I tell you!

2) I hope all these organizations such as the Vienna Tourist Board know about Flickr's many years of liberal support nude art.

The article in NYT.

view photos

Viejito says:

mag3737:

the Vienna Tourist Board is now on OnlyFans
This means, of course, that many art lovers will not see the Vienna art because of security settings that they, their browser, their anti-malware programs or their internet provider have chosen to apply...

view photos

mag3737 says:

Missing an art institution's social media might not be as significant as if the institution itself (or its own web site) were unavailable. But the NYT article is a little more about the challenges raised by AI "censorship".

view photos

conall.. says:

Viejito:

mag3737:

poor goose barnacles getting caught up in all this

view photos

SJH Foto says:

conall..:

Conall, I don't expect an immediate fix, but it is irksome that this has been going on for MONTHS with no appreciable improvement. Flickr doesn't even bother to change their reply. It's like they get an error, and the bots copy and paste a reply. Frankly, this reminds me of the annoying "Please continue to hold-your call is important to us" speech.

Apparently, I am not the only one who feels that way.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Hey, folks. Thanks for offering support and some helpful links here. Just to reaffirm what others have said in this thread, the moderation bot can and will make mistakes. In those cases, we strongly encourage you to change your content back to the appropriate safety level.

We've also removed a few comments that were beginning to get away from the topic of this post. Thanks for your understanding and have a good weekend.

Carol
Posted 5 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

conall.. says:

cabb88:

thanks Carol,

good to get that clearly stated by staff (even though it is actually obvious to anyone that thinks about it for more than 10 seconds)

sort of glad i missed the "beginning to get away from the topic" posts that got deleted. ...maybe i am imagining them worse than they were!
Posted 5 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Pierre Wayser says:

Algorithms are probably made by puritans, saudians or mormons! The Venus of Milo, which is in a way, the symbol of Europe is censored by stupids algorithms ! Poor XXIth century !
Posted 3 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

wildhareuk says:

Pierre Wayser:

For some strange reason, when artwork so resembles real life, a computer seems to have problems distinguishing between the two. It has nothing to do with any of your somewhat dubious suggestions. The age or notoriety of artwork also has nothing to do with it.
Posted 3 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads