Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 22 hours ago
[Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings
Latest: 6 days ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 8 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 14 months ago

Current Discussion

Retrieving old personal photos
Latest: 3 minutes ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] My total views
Latest: 17 minutes ago
Can't save Group icon
Latest: 47 minutes ago
remove account
Latest: 69 minutes ago
Deleting words from the stored tags after uploading a new image.
Latest: 3 hours ago
Lightroom 6.14 export errors with jfFlickr plugin
[Identified] Error when I try to add tags in Batch editing
Adding tags to multiple pictures
Latest: 18 hours ago
How to restrict website viewing to only the shared photo
Latest: 18 hours ago
maplogs.com :(
Latest: 24 hours ago
photo totals in a few albums listed wrong
Latest: 28 hours ago
unresolved issue with searching for tagged images
Latest: 2 days ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Defaulting to Contact s' Faves instead of Contacts' photostream

Thru My Shutter says:

I couldn't find another thread about this. Whenever I click on a contact who has FAVED my pictures, it takes me to the contacts' faves instead of their photostream. It's very confusing because I end up commenting on what they've FAVED and have to click on the contact's PHOTOSTREAM to see their pictures instead of photos they have faced.

No problem with the ones who leave COMMENTS. When I click on those names it takes me to the PHOTOSTREAM of the person left the COMMENTS on my pics.

Anyone else having this problem? Is it being addressed? Thanks!
Posted at 8:02AM, 21 July 2021 PDT ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Viejito says:

I guess they assume that you might want to see in what kind of company your faved photo has landed. If it was changed and took you to their photostream, you would have to click on Faves to see their faves.

Commenting on a photo you like is not a problem, whether they faved you or not.

A website cannot behave totally the way different users would naturally expect, so it is best if the users just get used to the way it is.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Thru My Shutter says:

I understand, but when they fave it only seems natural you want to see that person's photostream to see if you want to follow them, reciprocate, etc. I just noticed this today so I'm not sure I've not interacted with the person I intended to interact with. Is this something they surveyed before doing? It just seems to add another step (if you remember) to finding what you expect to find when you click on a contact's name.

view photos

Viejito says:

Thru My Shutter:

Is this something they surveyed before doing?
I am not aware of it having been different before.

view photos

mcnod says:

Thru My Shutter:

it only seems natural you want to see that person's photostream to see if you want to follow them, reciprocate, etc.

Actually I have seen other perspectives on this idea. It might be somewhat dependent on the main subject matter that is being photographed. One perspective is a photog wants to see exactly what another member is collecting in their favorites first and foremost. This criteria is more important to them than what the other member shoots (or doesn't shoot).

view photos

mag3737 says:

Thru My Shutter:

I understand, but when they fave it only seems natural you want to see that person's photostream to see if you want to follow them, reciprocate, etc. I just noticed this today so I'm not sure I've not interacted with the person I intended to interact with. Is this something they surveyed before doing? It just seems to add another step (if you remember) to finding what you expect to find when you click on a contact's name.

This has not changed in several years (if it ever has).

There are two other "fave-notifying" places where if you click on the person's name, it goes to their photostream: Notifications and the Recent Activity page.

In a way this seems to add strength to your comment that clicking on the name should go to the photostream. And this is a basic design principle anyway.

But I think Flickr has made (many years ago) a deliberate and conscious choice to override that on the photo page. I suspect the reason mentioned by is a big part of that decision. I think another factor is a desire to keep all information (aka clutter) on the photo page as absolutely brief/concise as possible.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads