Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Updated March 31st] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings
Latest: 19 hours ago
[No Action Required] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 4 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 10 months ago

Current Discussion

Vanishing Photos when Uploading
Latest: 3 hours ago
Photos don't show up in albums
Latest: 11 hours ago
Microsoft Edge - Log In to Flickr
Latest: 11 hours ago
Is it possible to see larger photos in the Organizer than the default?
Latest: 20 hours ago
how to get rid of a group invitation
Latest: 31 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Linking to Twitter via Sharing & Extending isn't working
Latest: 31 hours ago
Description link?
Latest: 35 hours ago
Problems posting pics in mu groups due to weird layout
Latest: 2 days ago
Newer Redefined
Groups take a very long time to load
[Staff Response] Why is Flickr blocking my IP adress??
[Investigating] Search doesn’t return my own photos
More...

Search the Help Forum

How can you get thousands or tens of thousands "followers" ?

Natimages says:

Hi to all.

I was wondering, while viewing hundreds of fine photos here at Flickr, what is the "procedure" to get more followers (read: "thousands of followers").

I see some members who have astronomical numbers of followers ... there must be a way to achieve this, right?

I try my best to follow people who return "comments" on my own photos.
I do not too often follow members who just give me a "fave" without comment(s) though.

What am I doing wrong here??

Thanks !!
Posted at 8:30AM, 31 March 2021 PDT ( permalink | reply )

view photos

John Frattura says:

Natimages:

What am I doing wrong here??
Maybe you're not doing anything wrong. You at least are putting some thought into who you follow.

Personally though, I disagree with this philosophy:
Natimages:
I do not too often follow members who just give me a "fave" without comment(s) though.

I've seen that kind of thing written in a lot of people's profile. Some even say that they will block anyone who faves without commenting. In my case, I probably only commented on a third of the images that I've faved. I really like all of the images that I've faved, but don't always have anything unique to say about them. My fave is my way of saying "I like this image".

Of course you may have a good reason for not following someone who didn't leave a comment, but if you didn't automatically reject those people, you would be following more, and probably more people would be following you. But tens of thousands of followers seems unrealistic.

If someone has that many followers, it's likely that one or more of these reasons are true:

1. Has been active on Flickr since day one. Not just on here, but actively engaging with others.

2. Has world class images.

3. Uses scripts / bots to "engage" with others simply to drive their numbers up.

Even if you never achieve tens of thousands of followers, it's almost guaranteed that the more you engage with others, the more followers you will have.
Posted 1 week ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Natimages says:

John Frattura:

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Yes, I think that I should review my way of doing things around here.
I will definitely start "faving" for a while and see what happens.
Of course, I will continue commenting as that really makes the photographers happy!

I have been here for quite some time, 2011 that is. Around 2611 photos, some good, some great and a lot of "so-so" pictures.

Cheers for now.

BTW, as I explore "Explore" on a daily basis, amazing photos in there as usual.

view photos

John Frattura says:

Natimages:

BTW, as I explore "Explore" on a daily basis, amazing photos in there as usual.
"Explore" does have some amazing photos, and almost always generates extra attention for the people lucky enough to appear there. How the images are chosen is a bit of a mystery though. Something about a Magic Donkey.

view photos

OzGFK says:

I would say don't treat Flickr like a popularity contest and don't try to validate your work through gaining more followers. Flickr is not instagram. Flickr is about photography and not popularity. I have been on Flickr since 2007 and I enjoy the relationships that I have with my contacts, and I enjoy taking time exploring groups, other people's faves and my contact's photos, trying to find stuff that I like and that I can learn from. Through that process I meet people and I prefer to have genuine contacts that I interact with, rather than just gaining more followers who I don't engage with.
Posted 9 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

As someone with thousands of followers on Flickr, I'd say really and truly, don't focus on that.

Instead think more in terms of engagement. There are many reasons people have thousands of followers -- they have been active on the site putting up high quality photography and engaging for years -- maybe they are famous or popular outside of Flickr -- maybe they've been promoted through Flickr over the years or other sites and channels.

Meaningful engagement and connections with good people and photographers are what matter much, much, much more.

Fortunately Flickr is a wonderful place where that can happen whether you have 10 followers or 10,000 followers. These days I'd especially stress finding some good active groups with active discussion threads. Even more than photos it's the discussion threads where many meaningful connections and friendships oftentimes are made.

There are some basic things you can do to gain a bit more attention in general though through Flickr which also would likely increase followers -- not by thousands or tens of thousands though. It's been over a decade since I've blogged about that but most of the ideas in this post still hold true today.

thomashawk.com/2010/05/top-10-ways-to-get-attention-on-fl...

Good luck and I hope you get as much out of Flickr as I do.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

_ghosty_ says:

There are too few users on Flickr having 'thousands of followers' according to their deserts. Mostly they use either bots or any other unsophisticated 'tools' to gain attention. One of them confessed to me he used special 'hot-keys' to leave different comments to hundreds photos during a day.
Or if you see someone faves each and every of your photo and has more than a million faves in his profile, that would be some reason to just ban him.
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

breathnach85 says:

I don't think Flickr is the place is try acquire thousands of followers. Those on here who have thousands have been here a long time and their strategy has worked out well for them.

It is better to have a hundred followers who engage than 1000 who don't. Right now it seems that Flickr has gone very quiet with little to no action. Wonder what is happening behind the scenes.
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads