Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 days ago
[No Action Required] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 2 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 8 months ago

Current Discussion

Can not sign in to existing account
Latest: 22 minutes ago
How do I switch on notification for update to a group discussion?
Latest: 33 minutes ago
cannot delete comments and other people photos
Latest: 5 hours ago
Flickr, I was charge twice a short while ago for my Pro subscription
Latest: 6 hours ago
[Resolved] Sorry, we don’t recognize this URL.
[Resolved] Groups: pending photos: broken link
Deleting group invites
Latest: 11 hours ago
Faved photos not showing up in that user's list of Faves?
Latest: 13 hours ago
No stats to be seen, Is my #MyFlickrYear legit?
Latest: 14 hours ago
Uploader adds literal comment "binary comment" to every photo
Latest: 14 hours ago
[Investigating] Has flickr disappeared from Google?
Latest: 15 hours ago
Posting photos that appear in Flickr gallery "Comments"
Latest: 17 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Tags are being mangled when uploading new photos to Flickr

Travis Estell says:

I add tags to my photos in Lightroom CC, export them to JPEGs, and upload the JPEGs to Flickr in a browser (Chrome or Safari).

Using exiftool I can see that the JPEG is tagged with: Nikon F6, Salinas on film, Kansas, Airliner Motel, Salinas, The Darkroom lab, Kansas on film, motel, Kodak Portra 400, perspective corrected

However on Flickr, the tags get mangled to: "Salina Kansas United" "States Nikon" "F6 Salinas" "film Airliner" "Motel Salinas The" Darkroom "lab Kansas" "film motel Kodak" Portra "400 perspective" corrected

This started happening recently, perhaps the last 2 weeks or so. I have been using the same workflow for at least a year and this wasn't happening before.
Posted at 7:03AM, 13 January 2021 PST ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Torben* says:

Have you tired using quotes around you tag terms, i.e. "Nikon F6", "Salinas on film", "Kansas", "Airliner Motel", and so on...
Seems like Lightroom uses commas as delimiters between the tags but Flickr does not really honor them.
Posted 10 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

mcnod says:

Torben*:

but Flickr does not really honor them.

that has never been the case for me, commas have always worked

view photos

Viejito says:

The only times I have seen tags mangled like that, I figured I had misplaced a quotation mark.

view photos

PaulO Classic. © says:

The only problem that I am having with tags at the moment, is whilst I am uploading, I normally add tags, groups etc during the upload.

Well as of the past couple of uploads, in order to make a tag stick, I have to type it, then click out before it appears - normally a click is all I need.

It's also stopped giving me options - foe example, I usually just have to type P and Photoshop, PicMonkey etc pop up, well that is no more as well.
Posted 9 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Travis Estell says:

When adding tags *on Flickr* I always use quotes around multi-word tags. However that is not my current issue. The issue is that tags which were already applied to the JPEG prior to upload are being mangled. My process has not changed, this worked before but has just stopped working suddenly.

view photos

Flickr Staff

jess.n.d says:

Travis Estell:

I did some testing with the image you referenced here, and can see that the uploader is pulling tags from all over the place. I forwarded this on to our engineers to take a look in case we made any changes on the backend that affected tags.

I'll follow-up here when I know more.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Travis Estell:

One thing you could try (by way of investigation) is to download the "original" size of your photo back from Flickr, after you upload it, and check out what the tags look like in it.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads