Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 25 minutes ago
[No Action Required] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 23 hours ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 6 months ago

Current Discussion

Subscription changed to Free account after making annual payment
Latest: 9 minutes ago
Deceased members.
Latest: 24 minutes ago
Translations of texts
Latest: 39 minutes ago
Organiser Map - Lack of blue dots
Latest: 52 minutes ago
The titles when uploading are truncated. Happens a lot.
Latest: 64 minutes ago
Not receiving email notifications
Latest: 73 minutes ago
[Resolved] 'Uploading Failed' All Day
Latest: 2 hours ago
Can't make video public.
[Monitoring] Return of the Bad Panda.
iphone 12 video overexposed on Flickr
Latest: 4 hours ago
Cannot re subscribe at the end of my pro subscription.
Latest: 7 hours ago
Uploading from Lightroom - lots of different error messages
Latest: 8 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Google has just disappeared my flickr presence

Mark Berthold says:

There are closed discussions on specific tagged photos from one's flickr site not showing up on google and blame not unanimous though a point made is that the search should include the name of poster's site - which would not by definition be known to somebody searching for eg 'leopard'. I do recall some of my photos showing up in old google searches not identifying me but with detailed subject tags (eg species) but those days long gone. Anyway, my present query is more generic. Its that until the last month my flickr site would come up on the first page on a search for my name (Christian and surname shared apparently by some 30 others). Well it has 540 pics and plenty of views and many pics on others' groups. It was not merely gratifying egotistically but because at my age former contacts may wonder what one has been up to and indeed in this way I have over the years been contacted by a nephew, a former gf and a former wife (and not for alimony). Youtube still there but all reference to my flickr site has disappeared from first page of those sharing my name and I gave up after p 10 of google results. A tectonic shift? It is disconcerting personally but it will further reduce general awareness of flickr. Its true that my current photography is snapshot style compared to my earlier Canon toting globe-trotting incarnation but still. I am wondering if my experience unique?
Posted at 1:27PM, 19 November 2020 PST ( permalink | reply )
Mark Berthold edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

simonov says:

The Google service sucks and they are evil. Have you tried Bing? Microsoft still less evil than Google.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

John Frattura says:

If I enter: Mark Berthold Flickr, links to your Flickr images are the first things I see. It would be nice to not have to include the word Flickr in that search, but without it, the odds are stacked against you.

I read on one website that there are currently over 17,000 people with the surname Berthold. Berthold is also a given name (Bert), so the name Berthold probably applies to millions of people worldwide. The name Mark probably applies to tens of millions of people (past and present. Dead people still get included in Google search results if they're noteworthy). It's very possible that a lot of those Bertholds have been mentioned on different websites that were indexed by Google.

It is impossible to say why in the past Google would point to you on the first page, and now doesn't. Any time I search for a name, I always seem to see LinkedIn in the first few returns. Maybe certain companies pay Google to have their site listed ahead of others?

As far as searching for a common word like "leopard", you really should never expect to show on Google's first page, unless you've taken a worldwide famous photo of a Leopard. There are WAY too many results, including Leopard Slugs, Leopard Frogs etc.

view photos

Viejito says:

simonov:

Microsoft still less evil than Google.
How about DuckDuckGo, which I have been using instead of Google for the last ten years or so? Are they evil, too?

Mark Berthold:

When I search for "Mark Berthold" images on DuckDuckGo, without even mentioning Flickr, I see one of your favorites on the top row and two of your photos on the second row..

On Google I see one of your photos on the third row and one on the fourth and fifth rows.

Remember that everyone sees different results on Google, depending on who they think you are and what they think you are interested in.

view photos

Mark Berthold says:

Hey thanks Viejito for alerting me to DuckDuckGo though I now have a lot of editing to do! Thanks folks for these comments and even checking out my pics though its my albums that really matter to me at least and quite different from recent phone stuff. My original point remains though expressed too unequivocally and though indeed evil google is so pervasive and its other searchers that I am focusing on.
Mark Berthold edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

HaarFager says:

John Frattura:

As far as searching for a common word like "leopard", you really should never expect to show on Google's first page

Search for "Monarch Butterfly" on Google. My picture comes up first and I don't have to include my name in the search parameters. Here's my post here:

Monarch

view photos

Foxy Who \(^∀^)/ says:

It's always hard to search a certain photo on Google. I know that feel.

view photos

John Frattura says:

HaarFager:

Search for "Monarch Butterfly" on Google. My picture comes up first and I don't have to include my name in the search parameters
That's like hitting the lottery. Its mathematically possible, but I wouldn't come to expect it.

view photos

wildhareuk says:

HaarFager:

Could that be because it's on wikipedia and doesn't have any Flickr related credentials?

It is credited to you, of course, I can't see that Flickr is the source.

view photos

simonov says:

Viejito:

How about DuckDuckGo, which I have been using instead of Google for the last ten years or so? Are they evil, too?

They can't be as evil as Google (almost no one is). I use it on one of my machines and don't really care for the search results (I thought I read an article somewhere that said they use Google for their searches, but I can't find that now).

But that brings up an interesting point about search engines. I just read a couple articles that said, "Google still gives the best results, bla bla bla;" while I have seen other people abandon Google for Bing because Bing gives them better results. And I don't like DuckDuckGo. Which all tells me that search results preferences are as individual as aesthetics. Apparently people want different things from their search engines.

For whatever it is I am trying to find, Google is too cluttered. Too many websites trying to game Google. I find what I want much more quickly with Bing. And while I don't use DuckDuckGo very often, it seems to take me longer to find what I am looking for.

Doubtless other people, with other priorities, have completely different experiences.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads