Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 10 hours ago
[Official] We’re conducting a test on faves - updated with test results!
Latest: 3 weeks ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 5 months ago
[Official] Flickr requesting that some Pro subscribers update their subscription information
Latest: 6 months ago

Current Discussion

How to load all pics from a collection into organize?
Latest: 45 minutes ago
No Paypal (not a new subscriber)
Latest: 5 hours ago
Selling my Pics on Flickr
Latest: 6 hours ago
Cannot login
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] Pandas
Latest: 11 hours ago
How to share "larger" images
Movies failed to upload
Flickr photo editor
Latest: 14 hours ago
[Investigating] Site is Still Slow
Latest: 18 hours ago
Not Pro - Will my 3500 photos be deleted?
Latest: 18 hours ago
Logging On
Latest: 24 hours ago
Google "Licensable".
Latest: 24 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Photo sharpness problem.

Brian Rempel says:

Just curious. Has something been changed on the Flickr website? When viewing photos on my desktop or laptop, photos that use to be crisp now appear to much softer, slightly out of focus. I’ve checked on other computers and monitors with the same result. It started about 2 days ago. I posted the some photos to Flickr and the same ones to a social media site and the ones on the social media site did not have this problem.
Posted at 11:29AM, 30 September 2020 PDT ( permalink | reply )

view photos

egil.orvedal says:

Yeah. I have the same problem. When clicking on an image it used to display the image 1:1 super crispy and fine, but now it displays it as if its scaled and not at all sharp. But when I go to "wiew all sizes" and select Large 2048 it displays it correctly.
Having this issue on all my windows machines both in chrome and edge.
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Brian Rempel:

egil.orvedal:

Hi there,

I am sending over an email now to email address tied to your accounts to get some more information.

Thanks!
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Ashley Stevens images says:

Mine has the same issue which has been happening for a month or so now. Sometimes I could click on the + icon to expand the images about 10 times and once it would be sharp, now its never sharp.
Chrome and Edge are blurry.
When I change my max resolution within flickr (How large should Flickr display your photos) to Large 1024 the images are sharp. However using Large 1600 & 2048 they are blurry. I have always used Large 1600. I don't want to use Large 1024 as the images are then blurry on my android phone.
What has happened?

view photos

egil.orvedal says:

Ashley Stevens images:

Same here. Had the issue for a month or so.

view photos

egil.orvedal says:

Ashley Stevens images:

Same here. Had the issue for a month or so.

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Ashley Stevens images:

Hi there,

I am shooting over an email now to grab some more information.

Thanks!

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Hi all,

We have been busy digging into this, and were unable to find any systemic issues related to photo sharpness.

Generally, when members run into issues with photos appearing blurry upon making them larger, it means that the image didn’t quite fully load.

I advise on checking your internet connection and clearing your cache. If you need any guidance on how to clear your cache, I recommend taking a look at the following link here.

Thanks

view photos

egil.orvedal says:

R L Catlow:

Hi. This is defenately not the case here. Funny I have the exact same issue on 3 different conputers.

This is a scaling-issue. I've done some more testing and it turns out that I can get to display the image properly, but it is very randomly. It looks like it's depending on where in the image I click. Lets say I click and get it sharp, if I then hold the mouse completely still I can click in and out, in and out over and over again, the image always come out correct. BUT if I move the mouse ever so slight and then click to zoom it most defenately will get blurry.
If I get the image sharp I can also pan around and the image will stay sharp.
egil.orvedal edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Ättestupa says:

I still have this issue since my forum post on it. On the same computer photos are always sharp on firefox but almost never on chrome. Strangely they are sometimes sharp on chrome. But if moving the mouse (and image) zoomed in it will become blurry and zooming out in in again makes it more blurry.

view photos

egil.orvedal says:

Ättestupa:

Just tried out the old Internet Explorer, and its all sharp.

view photos

Ashley Stevens images says:

Since the issues with flickr yesterday, I now don't have the issue with sharpness. I can view them in full sharpness after clicking the + button to enlarge.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

OzGFK says:

500px used to have issues with Safari, images were not sharp, I had to use Chrome and it was a huge difference, not sure if that is still an issue. Perhaps Flickr is running into a similar problem.

view photos

Ättestupa says:

The issue is still there for me. And just like egil.orvedal said clicking on the right spot makes the image load correctly. Really odd.

view photos

egil.orvedal says:

Still same issue here as well.
But for Internet explorer, it now says Flicker is no longer supported for IE explorer and automaticly opens Edge.

view photos

Ättestupa says:

Now it is working better. When an image is clicked for a closer view it is still a bit blurry. But as soon as the mouse is moved to pan in any direction the correct sharp image is displayed.
Posted 10 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

egil.orvedal says:

Yes, The sharpness-issue seems to be gone. Just like Ättestupa reports, it sharpens up when moving the mouse. I kinda think that this is how Flicker used to bahave.
Posted 9 days ago. ( permalink | reply )
egil.orvedal edited this topic 9 days ago.

view photos

Eric Bonner says:

I do not think this is fixed at least for me. My photos are much softer. When i hit the magnifying glass to zoom in nothing happens as far as a zoom.

It is easy to see on the last photo i uploaded - it is 8256 x 4644 and i can clearly see the pupil of the ducks eye if i download it from Flickr again but in my photostream it is no visible.

Link to the photo: www.flickr.com/photos/ericbonner/50501640758/in/datetaken/
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads