Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 9 hours ago
[Official] We’re conducting a test on faves - updated with test results!
Latest: 3 weeks ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 5 months ago
[Official] Flickr requesting that some Pro subscribers update their subscription information
Latest: 6 months ago

Current Discussion

How to load all pics from a collection into organize?
Latest: 46 minutes ago
No Paypal (not a new subscriber)
Latest: 4 hours ago
Selling my Pics on Flickr
Latest: 5 hours ago
Cannot login
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] Pandas
Latest: 10 hours ago
How to share "larger" images
Movies failed to upload
Flickr photo editor
Latest: 13 hours ago
[Investigating] Site is Still Slow
Latest: 17 hours ago
Not Pro - Will my 3500 photos be deleted?
Latest: 17 hours ago
Logging On
Latest: 23 hours ago
Google "Licensable".
Latest: 23 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official] We’re conducting a test on faves - updated with test results!

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Today we’re kicking off a test on Flickr to see how people might use different icons in place of the current star icon that indicates faves. For the next day or so, some signed in and signed out visitors to Flickr.com on the web will see a heart, thumbs up, or animated star in place of the current star icon. There is no change to the functionality or what happens after you click the icon.

This test is one step in getting feedback from Flickr members about the fave action and the star icon, and the potential for a lightweight signal of appreciation that doesn’t save to your faves. We also recently conducted a survey with ~300 Flickr members to get their feedback on this topic.

We’d love to hear your feedback on this icon and the fave action. If you’d like to share, please let us know your answers to the following questions, which were part of the survey that I mentioned earlier:

Question 1: Think of the last time you appreciated a photo on Flickr, but did not fave it. What is the biggest reason you chose not to do so?
(a) I can’t control who can see my faves list
(b) It’s hard to organize my faves list
(c) I don’t want it to save to my faves list
(d) I prefer to express appreciation in a comment or message

Question 2: Currently on Flickr, all of your faved photos are shown in a publicly viewable list. If you could set viewing permissions for your faved photos list, which would you choose?
(a) I would keep my faves list public
(b) I would restrict my faves list for Flickr members only
(c) I would restrict my faves list for People I Follow only
(d) I would restrict my faves list for friends and/or family only
(e) I would make my faves list completely private
(f) I would keep some of my faves public, but would make others hidden
(g I don’t know

Question 3: When did you last look at the faves list of another Flickr member?
(a) Today
(b) In the last week
(c) In the last month
(d) More than a month ago
(e) Never
(f) I don’t know

Is there anything else we should know about how you currently use the fave icon?
Posted at 1:21PM, 28 September 2020 PDT ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Sapporodan says:

Never really had any problem with the star, but don't care if you change it or not as long as its clear to see.

Answers

1) C

2) A

3) E
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Icy SL says:

1- B

2 - F

3 - A

The star is fine, but more control over the fave list would be a bonus

view photos

Glapatamear says:

Ditto what Sapporodan said: "Never really had any problem with the star, but don't care if you change it or not as long as its clear to see."

1) C

2) F

3) A

view photos

rysgam says:

1) A
2) F
3) A

Really like the idea of hiding some/all favorites. There are times I favorite something so I can quickly find it but would rather not have everyone see it.

view photos

mikerofoto says:

1- A
2- E
3- E

view photos

littletinperson says:

1-None of the above
2-A
3-A

view photos

jschumacher says:

Q1-None of the above
Q2-A
Q3-B

Somewhat related to Q1- There are more reasons to fave a photo than appreciation. For example, I often use a fave as a bookmark. Sometimes it's a quick way to let a contact know I saw their photo. Sometimes it's to acknowledge a shared experience, such as a photo walk or a vacation/party/work outing, etc.

In other words, for me, faving a photo often has very little to do with the qualities of the photo itself and much more to do with what the photo represents.

view photos

Fletch in HI says:

Question 1:
(e) N/A, If I like a Photo I fave it.

Question 2:
(g) I don’t know, I never thought about it.

Question 3:
(a) Today

view photos

ashwani2310 says:

1(c)
2(a)
3(d).

view photos

Lost Runes says:

I think you should have a choice between a heart or a star, to express the degree of how much you like it.

1 I thought it was good, just not what I love.
2 (A)
3 (A)

I use faves to appreciate friends, reward those who fave mine, and collect beautiful photos of other Flickr members, and to see if a potential contact faves things I consider inappropriate before I make them a contact.

view photos

decembre says:

Question 1:E

As an user said: N/A, If I like a Photo I fave it.
And too as an another user said:
"Sometimes it's a quick way to let a contact know I saw their photo."
In this case, i unfave and refav , if i return on the shot since a very long time

Question 2: A - I would keep my faves list public

Yes, because i hope find more superb authors in the favs made by other user and vice and versa....
If Favs became private, we lost one of simple and powerful way to discover others work.
Pool are a great way too, but more specialized and need to be more promoted in future.
Like Galleries which are a good tool (limited by the fact we can't add all shots - Privacy and permission restriction:
Maybe a change for Galleries should more accurate than in favs?

Question 3: A - Today

Like i said, it's my perfect way to discover other shots:
When i like an author, often i go to see what he/she appreciate in their favs...
I an other side, it's a way to know if i add or not this user as member to my pools:
An user with a stream with nothing i appreciate particularly, can show in favs something i appreciate.

About the Fav Star:
I noticed your change about the star... and revert back by CSS ....
:-)
So let it like it was before: that's good for me.
Just make it reactive, because sometime it is slow or need a refech

decembre edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

1: -
I often appreciate, but not enough to call it a "fave". I guess people probably use faves differently and needs "individual level" of appreciation before they faves a photo. Or some use it just to give a "polite appreciation", thanks or favor/fave returned. Some also use it to get attention to own stuff. But for me it is "appreciation at high level" - or for being very inspirational. Worthy for my own "faves slideshow". But I don't feel I "opt out" faving anything (as I feel the question is about). When not faving it is just because it doesn't fulfil my criteria for faving.
2: A
I don't mind it's public.
Actually I have some concerns towards the idea of private faves. I say it raises the risk of people collecting "pervert", maybe illegal, photos gets more attracted to Flickr.
2: B
The day has just started here, so haven't yet today. But usually I do it several times each week, in periods close to daily. Surfing other peoples faves is my kind of "Flickr Explore" (I have actually considered making a service or browser extension to extend on this "concept" of exploring).
Stig Nygaard edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

dbrothier says:

1 - (d)
2 - (a)
3 - (a)

view photos

philk_56 says:

1- c
2- a
3- a

view photos

littletinperson says:

cabb88:

btw ... what's the motivation for making this change and why is it such a high priority? it doesn't appear to be a feature that is in particularly high demand, at least not based on the current wish list active on the HF.

view photos

gill4kleuren - 22 ml views says:

1- a
2- f
3- a

view photos

decembre says:

Stig Nygaard:

Surfing other peoples faves is my kind of "Flickr Explore" (I have actually considered making a service or browser extension to extend on this "concept" of exploring).

Haha, yes good idea!

view photos

ajhaysom says:

1. None of the above.
If I like a photo I hit fave, as others have said sometimes it is to do with the photo, sometimes the maker of the photo, sometimes other things.
2. A.
I agree with others, making Faves lists Private would further decrease the discoverability of photos.
3. A.

view photos

Franks Photos! says:

1. A
2. E
3. A

view photos

CarlaFrancisco says:

1 (c)
2 (b)
3 (e)

view photos

Hobbyknipsel says:

1 - c
2 - a
3 - a

view photos

Jane Statham says:

I don't mind the star, but if it was something else I'd be fine as long as it wasn't animated.

1. b
2. b
3. a

The problem I'd have if they were private is how would you remove your faved photos, if you didn't want someone else to fave half your photostream?
I often remove my photos from someone's Favourites if I feel that they're being a bit creepy in the number they've "gathered" of my work. How about a restriction of 10 faves from another person?

Edited to add: And an easier way to unfave your photo if you want it removed, rather than having to wade through pages of photos.
Jane Statham edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

mcnod says:

1. c
2. a
3. b

view photos

Walkuere123 says:

1.c
2.a
3.a

view photos

Viejito says:

1 d
2 a
3 a

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

littletinperson:

We've received feedback here in the help forum and elsewhere that members would like a more "lightweight" way to show that they like a photo or comment. This project also aligns with our 2020 goal of improving engagement across Flickr and gives us an opportunity to make sure this functionality is straightforward for all members. For example, it's not immediately clear that when you fave a photo that it saves to a publicly viewable list.

view photos

ShellyS says:

Question 1: Think of the last time you appreciated a photo on Flickr, but did not fave it. What is the biggest reason you chose not to do so?
(c) I don’t want it to save to my faves list

Question 2: Currently on Flickr, all of your faved photos are shown in a publicly viewable list. If you could set viewing permissions for your faved photos list, which would you choose?
(a) I would keep my faves list public

(c) In the last month

Also, I love the idea and have been wanting a way to like a photo without adding them to favorites. I don't always have something to say in a comment, but usually just say "Nice photo" in lieu of a "like." And I often fave photos while viewing Explore so I can find photographers later whom I might want to follow.

view photos

littletinperson says:

cabb88:

thanks for the reply. i looked through the wish list here and only found 3 instances of anyone requesting this feature. not sure i understand how that amounts to high subscriber demand. i guess internal desirements and demands are driving the priority on this feature request. also, it's not immediately clear how this will improve engagement, but what do i know.

fwiw ... the messaging on changes always seems a little spun. just my perception.

wouldn't complain if you burned this comment after reading.

view photos

etherflyer says:

(d) I prefer to express appreciation in a comment or message

(f) I would keep some of my faves public, but would make others hidden

(d) More than a month ago

I tend to use faving more as a way of bookmarking a picture so I can find it again. If I want to express approval I'll do that with a comment or message. Given the number of times I've had pictures faved seconds after posting, without them being in any groups or having any artistic merit, I tend to view favs as not representing much. YMMV, of course.

In terms of icons, I like the star. Really don't want an animated icon.

view photos

helmet13 says:

1. C
2. C
3. B

However, there's a quiet wide range of how Faves are used / understood:

- just to like a picture
- to like and to mark a pic (as a reminder) for an easier return to a certain member later
- as a quality criterion - the more faves / the "better" a picture is
- as a kind of threshold / to get permission to add a pic to a certain group's pool - there are a couple of 5+/10+/50+Faves etc groups out there

view photos

and_ras says:

Q1) B
Q2) B
Q3) B

In addition to usually polite expressions of appreciation, it would be meaningful to elicit constructive comments.

As far as the icon - offer two types of icons - one for "fave" without comments, the other one with constructive comment. This might encourage the viewers to consider some photos more carefully.

view photos

Images George Rex says:

Please don't use a thumbs-up or an animation - too much like the social media apps. Flickr's big strength is not being like FB, Insta etc. A star is good.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

littletinperson:

Thanks for the feedback. I think it's important to address. The help forum is one of several sources of feedback and information that we consult when we make decisions. The survey I mentioned is another source, this test that we're conducting is yet another. All of these sources of information help us come to conclusions about what to focus on as a team. And while this may not be the most "popular" request, we have heard this feedback from members time and again and again, we believe that it aligns with the goals we've set for this year.

If you have more feedback on this, please feel free to send me a FlickrMail or reach out to our Support team so that we can keep this thread on-topic.

[Edited for clarity.]
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

landandwater says:

1: d
2: n/a
3: c

I don't fave pics because I prefer to leave a comment on things I like. I beg of Flickr not to impose animated thingies hopping up and down, honking and shrieking at us. The frequently hideous group icons seen in 'comments' are an awful warning. The modest little star does its job very adequately.

view photos

ernstkers says:

1-c, 2-a, 3-f

During the over ten years I'm a member on Flickr, I have faved just over 60 photos. That's on average one fave every two months. I'm faving them to find them back again. And that doesn't work when having too many faves.

cabb88:

heart, thumbs up, or animated star

Thumbs down for a thumbs up icon. Avoid everything that reminds to Facebook.
Even worse: distracting animations. They are the horror on many internet pages.

view photos

karen leah says:

1-a 2-c 3 -e

view photos

JEO126 says:

1 - none of the above
2 - a
3 - b
I'm happy to have all my faves public and don't see a reason to assign different privacy levels to different faves, although I can see how others might. I do think it would be useful to have options for sorting or organizing faved (and unfaved) photos for my own reference, but I don't think there's necessarily a reason to make that organization or sorting visible to others. The solution might be as simple as adding the ability to make galleries (and albums) private.

In terms of multiple icons for faving, please don't. The stars are simple and elegant. The activity feed is already cluttered enough with the addition of the sidebar, and multiple icons across the bottom of each photo would just add to the clutter and further distract from the photography. Between faves and comments (with or without emojis) there's already infinite scope for engagement from simple acknowledgment to involved commentary.

Thanks

view photos

pongo 2007 says:

1 - C
2 - A
3 - D

view photos

billdroadrunner1 says:

1 - d
2 - a
3 - c

view photos

Crusty Da Klown says:

1-B
2-A
3-A

view photos

I.T.P. says:

Lost Runes:

Your photography Is excellent , I have favourited one of them :-)))

view photos

f0rbe5 says:

Answers:

1 - c
2 - a
3 - b - I always look at new followers' About, Photostream and Faves pages - partly to ensure they're not leeches (no photos of their own) but also to see what they're about.

I agree with Images George Rex above that keeping a distinct differentiation between flickr and other social media's gimmicks should be continued - if this site looks/functions like everyone else's, why bother coming here?

view photos

Stewie1980 says:

1: c
2: a
3: d

view photos

victoria espinar says:

1 - d
2 - a
3 - d

view photos

StarlightHope says:

1. C
2. E
3. E

view photos

Tony / Guy@Fawkes says:

1 D

2 I rarely use them

3 E

view photos

Stefano Rugolo says:

1) -
2) a
3) a

view photos

BillsExplorations says:

1) C
2) A
3) E

view photos

Impatience_1 says:

1) None of them
2) F
3) A

I take as favorites, each photo i like or comment... I also take as favorite each photo i invite in my groups ...Then it is also a bookmark...

I would appreciate having two levels of favorites...

For the moment, my true favorites are in my galleries...

view photos

Gerard Hermand says:

1/ -
2/ a
3/ a
Gerard Hermand edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Jan 130 says:

I think it's fine as it is - can't understand why anyone would want to change this.

I 'fave' photos because I like them. I don't care who sees my fave list.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Jan 130:

Thanks for sharing your feedback. There's more information about what's informing this test here.

view photos

Jan 130 says:

1 - c
2 - g
3 - e

I just use the star - AND a comment.

view photos

janetfo747 ~ Dreaming of Africa says:

1-C
2-A
3-B

I think it is just fine as it is.
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Imagik1 - Adventure before dementia says:

1. C
2. F
3. A

view photos

The North West Of Nowhere says:

Question 1: Actually all of them in a particular order:
C- as I sometimes like a photo but liking a photo does not mean I want it to be seen as "a fav". To me, and I guess I'm not the only one as this is a subject that I've seen around here a long time aago, "faving" a photo should mean more than "liking" a photo.
Then A and B (A leads to B) - I don't understand why my list of faved/liked photos should be public by default and with no option to change that. I think there should be more granularity to that. Maybe when clicking on the star (or whatever) you should be given the option to add it to your public list of favs or to your private list of favs. Or, now that we are at it, maybe two different icons with that action implied, only that public favs should also belong to the private favs list, but obviously not the other way around.
D - When I like a photo, when it really has that "wow factor", I usually leave a comment.

Question 2:
F - as I said before. Maybe B,C,D would be nice to have, but F is the way to go.

Question 3:

B - as in "by mistake". Every single time I've seen someone else's favs it's been by mistake. When someone favs/comments my photos I usually click on their profile to see their photos. I may not like them or whatever, but since they've spent some time/effort with my photos, chances are I like what they do and, maybe, I want to take a photo of something they've published.

However, under the description section of a photo page there's this "this person and ... faved this" which I always forget that whenever you click on a name there, it takes you to that user's fav page instead of their photostream or about page. I find it odd, but I always forget. And that is why every now and then I see someone else's faved photos, other than that, I'm not that interested.

view photos

keithhull says:

1 D
2 G
3 D

view photos

dccradio says:

1 - None of the above
2 - A
3 - D

view photos

ER's Eyes - Our planet is beautiful. says:

1) None of them
2) A
3) F

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

Question 1: not applicable, if I like a photo I fave it

Question 2: A

Question 3: A

view photos

cnmark says:

1) not applicable, if I like a photo I fave it

2) A

3) A

view photos

hoteidoc says:

I don't care What symbol you use, just get Favs Back !!! Most of my Favs are a reflection of some experience in My Life, but occasionally it's just a Great Photo. They are ALL Nature tho. Don't shoot people & very, very rarely a Fav a "human"

view photos

alapmi says:

Do not change Fav. It is not broken, so do not fix it. I always check Fav when browsing. Many times Fav are better than the photostream. If photos in the stream or Fav are blanked out I donot waste my time. I quickly move on. There are many other photostreams avaliable.

view photos

Crisp-13 says:

1) C
I use faves (probably wrongly) as a place to bookmark pictures that I want to try myself either because it's somewhere I'm going to be visiting or just as inspiration for a wet Saturday when I want to do some indoor photography. Having been here a while I now realise I should have used galleries for that. I would appreciate a "Like" button that would just tell the photographer I like their work but wouldn't add them to a "Likes page" or anything more

2) F
I don't think I'd ever have private faves but who knows it might be useful e.g. So that it gives me 2 separate sets of faves. However, maybe it would be better to add functionality to allow better organization of faves but not worry about making them private?

3) A
I find looking at other's faves is the best way to find new stuff and it's often it better than trawling through groups because a filter has been applied for me by the person who has added them.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but personally, I think that Flickr should adopt some of the other social platform standards just for ease of use and more familiarity of what things on the site do. This would help encourage new Flickr users to stay and not get put off because they don't know what to do.

view photos

eagle1effi says:

What is wrong with Faves?
I see no change.

view photos

hn. says:

Personally i think many people fave to draw attention to themselves.

Please do make the icon as inobtrusive as possible, certainly not animated.

I thought other things on Flickr needed more attention than the Fave icon.

view photos

_ghosty_ says:

1) B
2) A
3) A

view photos

overthemoon says:

1 c (and d)
2 a
3 f (by mistake or because I want to check out the tastes of a new follower)

I would not welcome the introduction of different levels of faves. Keep it simple. Encourage comments.

view photos

decembre says:

About the favs:
Why not incorporate them in the feeds" pages ?

view photos

ERIK THE CAT Struggling to keep up says:

I only fave when I want to enjoy the photo again.
I have no problem with the way things are.

view photos

sh@ron0 (no ️fav without com) says:

b
e
a

I would like the ability to remove my photo from someone's fav list if I so choose, without having to scroll through their fav photos or doing a soft block.

view photos

Mick Herbert says:

The 'heart' or 'star' (not animated, def not animated) either really, what I would like to see, and apologies if anyone else has mentioned this, I haven't read all of the comments, is for the icon to turn 'yellow' instead of white. I think it would stand out more.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Thanks for sharing your feedback here. Here’s a summary of how you responded to these survey questions:

(1) Think of the last time you appreciated a photo on Flickr, but did not fave it. What is the biggest reason you chose not to do so?

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 12.53.10 PM

(a) I can’t control who can see my faves list - 8.8%
(b) It’s hard to organize my faves list - 10.5%
(c) I don’t want it to save to my faves list - 38.6%
(d) I prefer to express appreciation in a comment or message - 14.%
None - 28.1%

(2) Currently on Flickr, all of your faved photos are shown in a publicly viewable list. If you could set viewing permissions for your faved photos list, which would you choose?

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 12.49.05 PM

(a) I would keep my faves list public - 59.6%
(b) I would restrict my faves list for Flickr members only - 5.3%
(c) I would restrict my faves list for People I Follow only - 3.5%
(d) I would restrict my faves list for friends and/or family only - 0%
(e) I would make my faves list completely private - 7%
(f) I would keep some of my faves public, but would make others hidden - 15.8%
(g) I don’t know - 5.3%
None - 3.5%

(3) When was the last time you looked at the faves list of another Flickr member?

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 12.48.36 PM

(a) Today - 45.6%
(b) In the last week - 15.8%
(c) In the last month - 5.3%
(d) More than a month ago - 12.3%
(e) Never - 15.8%
(f) I don’t know - 5.3%

We were delighted that so many of you visit the faves of other Flickr members so frequently. For those of you who do not, checking out the faves of people that you follow can be a great way to find more photography and content that aligns with your interests. Here are a few faves pages that we recommend:

- Monika Müthing's faves (check out her galleries, too!)
- Ronny Rocket's faves
- Vanessa Violet's faves

So, what’s next? We have ended the icon test as described above. The results of the test showed us that people were more likely to click the thumbs up over any of the other icons. We’re continuing to analyze this data as we plan how to proceed.

In an effort to continue testing, we have temporarily rolled out the animated star to 50% of all signed in and signed out visitors to Flickr. The animated star performed well, doesn’t seem to distract from the overall experience on Flickr, and...it adds a bit of fun!

Thanks again for your feedback.
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads