Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 4 hours ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 2 months ago
[Official] Flickr requesting that some Pro subscribers update their subscription information
Latest: 3 months ago

Current Discussion

Views being Deleted
Latest: 3 minutes ago
[Investigating] View counts stalling... Again & Again &Again
Latest: 45 minutes ago
Geotagging went wrong
Latest: 6 hours ago
moving images
[Monitoring Fix] Bad Panda on tags
Odd Behavior Viewing Contacts Photos
Latest: 8 hours ago
Group disappeared
Latest: 9 hours ago
notification icon sometimes has a box around it
Latest: 9 hours ago
"Social ban" bug is "spamming" in group queues
Latest: 12 hours ago
Site Status Page Not Reporting Issues
Latest: 22 hours ago
'Flickr Series Number: CIO-GG-619002 award' - Is this a scam?
Latest: 25 hours ago
I would like to see updates to display statistics
Latest: 26 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Group functions and behaviours - how to avoid them?

James Ogilvie Photo says:

Hi there..

I administer some groups here in the aid of helping new photographers learn. Groups are invaluable to this effort. However, there are two group behaviours that I find get in the way of running the group smoothly.

First, when removing a member from the group, the option to remove that members contact has never, ever worked for me. Not once. Since I regularly use groups and cycle through new students, removing the old ones - this becomes a constant hassle to remove each photo individually. I feel like I ask if I am doing something wrong, but it sure seems straightforward. Is this an issue for anyone else?

Secondly, as I teach classes over Zoom, we often use groups for students work and when sharing out flickr over Zoom, things are very, very slow. I can't really blame Flickr for this. However, it seems very hit and miss whether the EXIF data will actually appear on a photo. The viewing options are all correct, and a refresh of the page fixes it. But since the refresh is slow and painful, it is quite wasteful of time and ruins the flow of the discussion.

Can anyone offer any tips for this, how to up the chance of EXIF data showing up on the first try for viewing an image?

thank you!
Posted at 12:47PM, 30 July 2020 PDT ( permalink | reply )

view photos

John W Little says:

Just to clarify, by "the option to remove that members contact " do you mean "that member's content"?
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Jane Statham says:

James Ogilvie Photo:

I have the same problem in the two groups I run. When I go to admin and want to remove photos and or someone from the group(s). The button that asks you if you want to remove the person's content doesn't work. Hasn't done for ages.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

This function of removing all of a member's content when removing or banning the member from a group has been problematic for as long as I've been a Flickr member (2007).

Basically, it works perfectly with some groups and not at all with others - it is entirely group dependent.

The size of a group, the number of members it has or the number of photos in the group's pool is irrelevant (though it can slow things down a bit for large groups where the function does work).

Whether you remove/ban members from the 'manage your members' admin page or using the ellipsis in the corner of their photos makes no difference.
If one method works in your group the other will also work.
Likewise, if one method does not work in your group the other will not work either.

Over the years I have worked with a number of excellent and very helpful members and also Flickr Staff to try to figure this out and get it sorted.
The problem has been reported to Flickr's engineers/coders on at least two occasions (maybe many more).

All to no avail.

Basically, in a group where this does not work you are stuck with manually removing a member's photos one by one. No options.
If you admod a group where this works, well, lucky you!

view photos

Coyoty says:

Sometimes it takes awhile for changes to go through a system, especially one with a high volume. Have you checked a day or two later to see if the removals are just slow?

view photos

mikerofoto says:

Coyoty:

Sometime it take some away but will not removed them all, it or miss like Nionyn_ said.
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads