Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Updated March 4th] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 27 hours ago
[No Action Required] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 3 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 9 months ago

Current Discussion

Picture stuck in moderation Queue
Groups
Instagram and Flickr ... Instagram sharing icon not there!
Website query
Embed slideshow issue - Not Displaying Album Correctly
How to find comments left by other members? And my own comments?
frequently images faved stop showing as faved
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Investigating] Auto Upload Album Disappeared
Disappeared Favs
Pro account with adds
Flickr removed from Google Chromecast Ambient Mode
Latest: 6 hours ago
Mobile App out of sync with Website
Latest: 6 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

If you have an idea that can help us improve how Flickr works, share it with us here. If you can, please provide details about how this idea would improve the experience for you and other Flickr members.

I’ll be monitoring this thread and sharing your feedback with the rest of the team. Please be respectful of everyone’s ideas and keep our forum guidelines in mind when posting.

Thank you!
Posted at 8:21AM, 15 June 2020 PST ( permalink | reply )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 9 months ago.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next →
(701 to 764 of 764 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
view photos

ramonrt says:

I would like to add text boxes between my public gallery photos to separate them by year, like this:
goo.gl/photos/6VUPLNT26NZrzZtR7

More generally I think that flickr would benefit a lot from the possibility of customizing the gallery with things like choosing a custom layout for some contiguous photos (like making a collage but inside the gallery) or adding a frame to a group of photos with a title (like "23th birthday", "Visit to ...", etc)

Thanks
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Photos By Dlee says:

cabb88:

You’re welcome and thanks for the response 😁 yes I’m familiar with those and yeah something a bit more highlighted and easily accessible like Explore would be great!

Is two factor authentication something that’s being worked on?

view photos

wineprof91 says:

cabb88:

I would like to organize a number of albums into a collection and share the collection with friends and family. Please add the share option to collections.
Thanks.

view photos

Das Boot 160 says:

OzGFK:

Thanks for info, appreciated

view photos

edross says:

My idea: in the mobile app, in the "Share" options when sharing an album, "Share public only" should be the default option and "Share all items" should be after that as a non-default option. It is too easy to accidently share a complete album publicly, when actually all you wanted to do was share the public photos. In fact I'm not really sure how "Share all items" was ever thought of as the right default, let alone given as an option. If I have gone to the trouble of marking some album photos as private, there is a reason for that and I don't appreciate the ease with with those photos can accidentally be exposed.

view photos

fusrodahdude says:

I run a group where people post their top 3 faved photos. Every week or two, I go through the top 5 poster list and remove the post pics below that are not their top 3 faved photos. I also make sure that they only have 3 photos total in the group. I looked at the admin option to allow only 3 photos "ever" to be posted, but don't know if that is 3 in the group at any time (being able to remove and add) or 3 photos added to the group (and not being able to remove one and add another). My main issues are:

1. The number of photos a person really has in the group, is not represented in the number of the top 5 photo posters.

2. It would be really helpful to have at least a tab with all of the members' photos that are in the group. So, if they have over 3, I can remove all but the top 3 faved photos. Having only the top 5 isn't enough to keep the group cleaned up.

Thank you for this consideration.

view photos

XPhotoartistX says:

Yeah fix your moderation bot would be a good start.

view photos

losy says:

Replace the Panda against a sloth....!!

view photos

yabberdab says:

How about offering newspapers the opportunity to run features on selected groups of Flickr members photos? eg Your Best Shot 2020 or even they set up their own group on a subject of their choosing eg The Times 2021 Climate Change photo group which members can choose to post to and the newspaper select from. Would increase awareness of Flickr and hopefully increase membership as well as increasing viewing exposure of members photos. Just a thought.

view photos

Bright Expression says:

whenever i go to editing an album and save the changes, i cannot simply click on the browser's back arrow to get back to the album. WHY? obviously just a programming oversight.
so i have to reselect you>albums and then search for the album again; WTF?

view photos

Striderv says:

Flicker needs to protect its members from other members who add others Flicker photos to there own account and mark it as there own. We should not have to rely on other sites to find out when a Flickr member has copied our Flicker photos and posted as there own in there own account. Flicker could add a reverse search engine for just Flikr photos to root out these bad apples.
Why do I have to use Google image search or Tineye to find out that our copyrighted images are copied on Flickr. I had to do a report to Flicker when I found out using an outside site that another Flickr user was hosting my images as there own on Flicker. Will Flicker give us the ability to check for infringements on Flickr instead of us having to rely on outside sites?
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Richard Harvey UK says:

That thing where if you click/tap your profile picture and it tells you how to greet people in whatever language. A) it’s incorrect in such languages as I know. B) it’s unnecessary.

Today’s example (English), “Yo”.... Seriously, no. Not unless I’m a character in Grand Theft Auto. Which I’m not.
Richard Harvey UK edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

Albert T. Harmsel says:

My idea is this:
When I receive the weekly notifications about uploads of the people I follow I would like to receive notifications about the uploads in the groups that I joined too.

That would help me enormously in following the interesting uploads on flickr!

view photos

Richard Harvey UK says:

Albert T. Harmsel:

You can do that now. You hover over “people” top left and can then select “groups”. Hope that helps

Edit: sorry, misunderstood your post. You are referring to the weekly email update which I don’t personally use.
Richard Harvey UK edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

Terry_NYorks says:

cabb88:

I attach links to a Group Mapping issue:

www.flickr.com/groups/2031425@N22/pool/map?mode=group&amp...
or
www.flickr.com/photos/terry_browne/50922822167/in/datepos...

Photos of a map result within the group facility (using search available via url above).

Given the current design of Flickr, the band at the middle obscures items behind, which in a 40 object+ page can be quit busy - thus defeating the assistance the facility provides.

Clearly the design can be improved - try it with just 'Brazil' in the URL!!

Also the (floating) middle band can cover the 'plus' sign in the lower slider, thus making it inoperative! (This, when the page is not full screen).

Cannot the middle band be lowered to overlay the black stuff (which is nearly always not required)?

(FYI : Apple Macbook Pro 2017 using OS X v10.15.7, Catalina using Chrome Version 88.0.4324.146 (Official Build) (x86_64)
Terry_NYorks edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

Terry_NYorks says:

Striderv:

Very good point, well said !!

As my main use of Flickr is curating a group, contributors photos are "reflected", rather than added, thus linking right back to the original owner's photostream - which of course are under the photo owner's copyright and name.

Where people have not contributed after invitation, then good practice in my view is NOT to copy.

Occasionally some folk have asked me to copy on my own photostream page, where I always acknowledge their permission. That to me is best practice in such circumstances.

With the above comments therefore, I agree with you!!

And in the meantime - thanks again for your contribution so far, to date, to this group, in this link, though we haven't seen you for a while : click here ... ...
Terry_NYorks edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

i _travel_therefore_i_am says:

Seventh Heaven Photography - (Fauna):

To be able to move images from one account to another without losing comments and favs.

+1

Like many users, I have more than one account, and I would love to merge them into a single Pro account, but only without losing the metadata (views, comments, followers, etc).

A 'merge account' function would be really neat.

view photos

frattonparker says:

Here's an idea, stop putting upskirt videos in Explore. It's 2021 and there really is no need for it.

From Flickr;

"Things to do.

Don't be creepy.

You know the guy. Don't be that guy. If you are that guy, your account will be deleted."

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

frattonparker:

Report the account in question.

If anyone on the Flickr Abuse Team is awake, understands Flickr's own rules and is paying any attention (not terribly likely in my personal experience, unfortunately) the account should be deleted.

But you will need to report the account for anything to happen.

view photos

divewizard says:

Group Slide Show Function

flickr long ago hid the group slideshow feature that allowed automatic full screen viewing of all photos in a group. However one could still get it to work by adding "pool/show" to the end of the group photo page URL. This method utilized Adobe Flash and worked well. However Adobe Flash's functionality was shut off on January 12, 2021 so slide shows of group photo contents are no longer available.

I would like to see flickr add same slide show function that is available in albums because I really like looking at group photo contents in a slide show mode.

view photos

Striderv says:

Image size settings.

I would like to see Flikr offer lower display sizes in the options. Right now the lowest setting you can choose is Large 1024. I have many i would like to set at a lower size so they are less likely to be stolen.

Same as I would like to see implemented a choice to set the maximum size I can allow to a download of images in my stream. Lower file sizes helps deter photo theft.

view photos

Striderv:

I would like to see Flikr offer lower display sizes in the options. Right now the lowest setting you can choose is Large 1024. I have many i would like to set at a lower size so they are less likely to be stolen.

Er, why not just upload smaller images? I resize mine to 600x800 (for 3:4 ratio) before uploading. Then max download image is 600x800. I don't rate the builtin resizing function, much better to do it yourself with proper image editing software, down to the size that you are happy sharing.

There was a lengthy discussion many years ago about optimum size v danger of theft, and basically if someone wants your photo, they'll find a way, so you should only upload as a public image at a size that you are comfortable with being 'grabbed' for whatever purpose.

view photos

frattonparker says:

Nionyn_:

Video now gone from Explore.

view photos

Striderv says:

i _travel_therefore_i_am:

Thanks. Since I also count on Flickr as one of my photo backups (along with keeping them on discs and two separate hard drives) i have been hesitant to do that but it may have come to that being the best solution.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

frattonparker:
Nionyn_:

Thanks, folks. In the future, as Nionyn_ mentioned, please use the "flag" button on the photo or video page to report this content to us.

view photos

Nazunderground says:

Why does a "flicker blog" take up a third of the screen when I have zero interest in it? The old format of Flickr used the entire screen space for images....you know.... photos; the thing you go to Flickr to see, post, and comment on. But now a third of the screen is wasted on a blog that nobody actually cares about.

view photos

mcnod says:

Nazunderground:

a third of the screen is wasted on a blog that nobody actually cares about

You opinion is valid - for you. To say nobody cares is a bit over the top.

view photos

Striderv:

Hi, you could of course do both! Given that you've already decided to maintain your flickr library as an archive, then upload to that as normal (full size), and for those images that you want to make public, resize offline, and upload again as public at a size you are happy sharing. It's a bit of a faff, but achieves both objectives, albeit separately.

Even if flickr introduced a feature whereby you can select max download size, there's nothing to stop anyone screenscraping the max displayable image, if it's public, so the download function only works for those with honest intent - which of course image theft isn't...

view photos

John Edward says:

Flickr MAY NEED A PARADGM SHIFT...

Recently looked at my contacts and surprised by the number of inactive members. I presume some have stopped because they are already over the 1000 post limit.

The social media world is free and ad-supported. While I hate FB for trampling on people's privacy and pushing engagement down people's throats with cutting edge science, Flickr may need to join the bandwagon to survive.

The trend for many folks who pay the pro sub is use Flickr as online image storage. That's an area you can double down on if the unit economics make any sense.

You can also look at strategic partnerships with the likes of Reddit and other rising names.

Strive to own the smartphone camera app space.

THE POINT IS FIND YOUR SPACE OUT THERE AND PLANT YOUR FLAG ON IT...!

Tap fresh capital and get something going. Then go public to sustain whatever strategy works.

I have a funny feeling, keeping the status quo will spell the end of a beloved internet property.
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

bunchadogs & susan [OFF AGAIN] says:

I would like flickr to provide a way to delete all favorites in one swoop. I've been on here for over 14 years and my favorites are unwieldy.

view photos

ernstkers says:

John Edward:

Flickr MAY NEED A PARADGM SHIFT.

For answers see the thread you opened with the same text: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718279164738/

view photos

Mr Mikage (ミスター御影) says:

Would be good if people could show what they think about albums. Not necessarily being able to "fave" an album (although that wouldn't be bad), but being able to leave comments on someone's album... much like you can with a gallery.

view photos

Clare A was W says:

cabb88:

organise albums (sets) easier. I have many many sets and I would like to be able to rearrange better in organise.

Be able to delete the auto upload folder.

view photos

Clare A was W says:

bunchadogs & susan [OFF AGAIN]:

yes!

view photos

RobReb says:

Tweak the phone app to be more like the old defunct "PhotoExplorer 3.15". This app gave me access to tags, album collections, better sorting controls, searching, groups, etc.

view photos

Aktive Pupille says:

losy:Replace the Panda against a sloth....!!

Yes!
Aktive Pupille edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Aktive Pupille says:

Please give us a chance to disable pictures in the comment section
Aktive Pupille edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

mixytampa says:

cabb88:

I need to be able to group people by there face like in other sites. Is this in the works will we ever get this update. I have 90k on here and this will help me get rid of all the duplicates

let me know when this will happen it is long over due I have been a member since 2010
mixytampa edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Female beauties says:

I would like to suggest a change in the way notifications are being presented. Now the latest activity is presented first, and scrolling down the list you get to see the history of people reacting to the photos.
However, it would help me enormously if invitations to post a photo in a group were presented first, then the comments that some were kind enough to provide, and only then all the faves.
Right now I have to search for invitations and comments - and if I use the mobile version it often means finding a few invitations, approving one, then go scrolling again because the list starts NOT where I left off, searching the next invitation, etcetera. Tedious. And since I have a pretty active account I stopped using the mobile app, because of this, and only check on my computer.

view photos

mikerofoto says:

add the full option for when searching within the group pool you admin/moderate.
the only thing on pciture is 3 dots which foncyion is "hide temporarily"

replace that by the normal option you find on picture:
- 3dots for remove/ban member with or without their pictures from the group;
-X top right to remove the picture from your group pool
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

matti.heikkurinen says:

Sorry if this is already discussed, but I'd have two somewhat related suggestions/comments:

-It seems that the guest pass functionality (at least when sharing a stream) can get broken if the person you're sharing with is using a mobile phone. I don't have access to the phone and remote diagnostics is not feasible (time/patience limitations), but I presume the app is installed on the phone but not signed in.

-The bigger issue: account creation should be possible with just a phone number (like Signal, WharsApp, Viber, Instagram,...).

Both of these issues make sharing with family and friends hard - everyone is viewing content primarily on a phone or a tablet, and email addresses are becoming less of a "must have".

view photos

StevenM_61 says:

Block faving photos by bots or other automated means. Also limit the number of photos someone can fave from another' user's photostream per day. The fave feature has been abused for too long and I am tired of seeing my photos faved right after they are uploaded and no views registered and users going to my photostream and faving dozens of photos in a short amount of time and not marking me as a contact.

Even better, make it the only way someone can fave a photo is to go to the photo's page and the person manually clicking the fave button. That will cut down the abuse of the fave feature a lot.

view photos

Ronald D Morrison says:

I liked it in the old days when I clicked on a group I belonged to and see the photos listed that I had already contributed. Memory of who I posted and where is kinda getting away from me.

view photos

pongo 2007 says:

Mr Mikage (ミスター御影):

Would be good if people could show what they think about albums. Not necessarily being able to "fave" an album (although that wouldn't be bad), but being able to leave comments on someone's album...

You used to be able to do that a few years ago until all the big changes, I don't know what happened to the old comments, probably deleted forever.

view photos

mcnod says:

pongo 2007:

I don't know what happened to the old comments, probably deleted forever.

No, not deleted, not yet anyway:
www.flickr.com/photos/pongo2007/sets/72157594535716351/co...

view photos

pongo 2007 says:

mcnod:

Thanks for that link.

view photos

mikerofoto says:

make pages load in group pool, seem to be a big issue and most pages never load and all you get is "oops, seem we're having some issue"
(edit) or this: We're having some trouble displaying this group at the moment. Please try again.

give some control / option to admin to search and remove pictures from group pool.
mikerofoto edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

deannathomson says:

When I create a search and gather a specific group of photos from various albums, I want to be able to slide show them, but can't seem to do that? I can slide show the albums, but not the collection from the search . Thanks!

view photos

Barri Olson says:

It is my feeling that groups are a very important part of the Flickr experience. I am a moderator of one group. Since Adobe flash is gone, there is now no way that I know of (Used to use the "show" work around after turning off the Beta on group) So now moderatorss are supposed to moderate a group, clicking one photo at a time, through thousands, or else do it on a phone/tablet app...Knowing of one which works flawlessly. But. Belonging to a group(s), to many people, is very important in the bigger picture, and seeing slideshows of the groups you are in, not only for enjoyment, but seeing what others are doing, what others have seen, seems to me to be the thing that Flickr has had, even with workarounds, that set it apart from other photo sites..It would be nice. Maybe I'm missing something?

view photos

Barri Olson says:

divewizard:

YES!

view photos

Stuart Smith_ says:

Mapping should show "Western Australia" not "West Coast"

view photos

Garry Johns says:

cabb88:

Remove !&^*# from Group names. It would be nice to have groups sorted by alphabet and not by symbols. I think symbols are being used to get their Group name at the top of the list

view photos

carrettamarco89 says:

Hello cabb88, I can't find a way to see which favorite photos I have commented on and which I haven't. We hope not to have too much meat on the arms and not to put two topics in your post.
Posted 10 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

fjordaan says:

Like 8 months ago, I'm going to agree with Stig Nygaard regarding layouts again: provide an alternative to the justified photo view.

I agree with the suggestion to offer layout options. Specifically a grid view that includes more metadata like the title, and that lists collections or albums along the side.

Agree with all the other requests to improve the treatment of Collections. Fix the thumbnails, make it more prominent in the navigation, bring them to the app. It's one of Flickr's best features!

Improve Album descriptions. It's terrible how long album descriptions are truncated currently. They are also absent from the app.

I agree with the other old-timers who miss the context strips. Also the archives.

If possible, make it easier to integrate with other tools. I have to use a crappy IFTTT process to copy my Instagram photos to Flickr, which doesn't work very well. I'd also love to have a good Flickr slideshow app on my Roku smart TV box.

Please never, ever remove or change Organizr

Thank you!
Posted 10 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Koos Fernhout says:

Will you please please please improve the maps?

I want to be able to see my photos only in the maps view.

Just one "show only my photos' button would be the difference between anger and happiness, after all these years.
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

OzGFK says:

Ronald D Morrison:

Hi Ronald, you can still do that, go to the group and select the photos link, in the right hand side there is a pull down menu called "contributors" you can then select your name which will appear at the top, and then you will see all your pics you have submitted.

view photos

brianewen says:

cabb88:

Allow people to filter out Second Life posts that have nothing to do with the searches you are performing on Flickr, or make the blocking of users that post these work.

view photos

Bill Rosmus says:

Treat the paging behaviour of photos in the 'Featured" and "Most Popular Photos" in the About pages, like an album or similar.

* Scenario: you view a photo in either Featured or Most Popular Photos, and then hit the next button to see the next 'Featured' or 'Most Popular Photo'
* Desired Outcome: take me to the next 'Featured' or 'Most Popular' photo
* Actual/Current Outcome: instead of taking me to the next 'Featured' or 'Most Popular' photo, it sends me to the next photo in my photo stream. That is relative to where the photo lives in my photo stream, not relative to where it is in the featured or popular group.

This is frustrating and counterproductive to allowing people to view what I would like to feature. And please be aware that I actually noticed this problem when trying to look at other people's featured/popular photos. The necessary steps to be able to look at these photos at size was so frustrating and slow I just stopped. Basically, the current functionality kills any practical use of the feature. It really is an almost pointless feature unless this is fixed. Why would you want to look at a visual artform that people highlight for you to see, but only make it practical in thumbnail size?

I think the intent is a really, really good idea. The execution ruins it.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

ashwani2310 says:

ernstkers:
”see the thread you opened with the same text”

The thread you mentioned was closed by staff with advice that issues of that nature be posted here.

There may actually be a need to review the 1000 photos limit and to examine the feasibility of a graded product range on paid accounts.

Flickr should certainly thrive, but it need not necessarily adversely affect the Flickr community experience of all those not served by the present “1000 photos or unlimited” model.

view photos

tgeyes says:

A small improvement to the pop down under the "Bell" might be to keep a background color in every UN-clicked box and change it to white background only after it's been clicked.

view photos

Photocatvan says:

brianewen:

Amen to that idea. It seems the second life stuff is popping up in almost every search I do!
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Nancy Lazar says:

The link for our name when we favorite a photo should go to our own photo stream NOT our other favorited photos. I don't know why you would send viewers interested in a particular photographer to a page filled with work that has nothing to do with them?

Here is a question left un answered 80 months ago. www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157644626338687/?search=click...

Basically: that's just the way it is? But I know some links do go to peoples own postings. So there is a way.
Posted 5 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Viejito says:

Nancy Lazar:

I don't know why you would send viewers interested in a particular photographer to a page filled with work that has nothing to do with them?
Some people prefer to know when their portrait ends up in someone’s favorites page filled with inappropriate stuff. And it is only one extra click from there to go to the person’s photostream.
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

StevenM_61 says:

To add to my above post about favoriting other members' photos, a user must have uploaded images to Flickr in order to use the fave feature. Also, non-pro members should have a limit to how many images they can fave while pro members would have no limits. I am tired of users who have no photos coming in and faving dozens of my photos and having thousands of other faves. Yes, I am now blocking such users. Having limits to faves would also limit users who fave for nefarious reasons such as That Guy building his perv collection.
Posted 27 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next →
(701 to 764 of 764 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads