Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 9 hours ago
[No Action Required] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 22 hours ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 6 months ago

Current Discussion

Organiser Map - Lack of blue dots
Latest: 12 minutes ago
The titles when uploading are truncated. Happens a lot.
Latest: 24 minutes ago
Not receiving email notifications
Latest: 32 minutes ago
[Resolved] 'Uploading Failed' All Day
Latest: 70 minutes ago
Can't make video public.
Latest: 84 minutes ago
[Monitoring] Return of the Bad Panda.
Latest: 84 minutes ago
Subscription changed to Free account after making annual payment
Latest: 3 hours ago
iphone 12 video overexposed on Flickr
Latest: 3 hours ago
Cannot re subscribe at the end of my pro subscription.
Latest: 6 hours ago
Uploading from Lightroom - lots of different error messages
Latest: 7 hours ago
Deceased members.
Latest: 9 hours ago
How should I attribute images on mobile?
Latest: 10 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

If you have an idea that can help us improve how Flickr works, share it with us here. If you can, please provide details about how this idea would improve the experience for you and other Flickr members.

I’ll be monitoring this thread and sharing your feedback with the rest of the team. Please be respectful of everyone’s ideas and keep our forum guidelines in mind when posting.

Thank you!
Posted at 8:21AM, 15 June 2020 PST ( permalink | reply )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 6 months ago.

1 2 3 4 5 6 next →
(501 to 584 of 584 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
view photos

maniacal fish says:

Check out Pexels and Unsplash. Their UI/UX on both web and mobile app is superb. I get far more views and downloads on those free sites than Flickr Pro.

Flickr should break into three sites: one for photographers, one for people who want a storage service for their rough snaps, and one for the toxic people who love to patrol and police these help forums.
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Carol Ginsberg Brown says:

cabb88:

I was very discouraged to learn that when I direct people to an album, they're able to see my entire photostream by clicking on my name/profile. This is very problematic. Please allow users to hide their photostreams when directed by link to an album.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Carol Ginsberg Brown:

Please allow users to hide their photostreams when directed by link to an album.

You can do that:
1. Make sure your photos are all private. Photos that are marked poblic can be seen by everybody. On this moment you have 28 public pictures.
2. Send a guest pass for the album to the people you want to see it. They can only see the photos in the album.
help.flickr.com/en_us/create-or-delete-temporary-guest-pa...

view photos

monii_19 says:

Hello everyone! I am new here and I registered recently, because I am a 4th year Creative Business student in the Netherlands, and I am seeking for your feedback on my project :)

My task was to change the business model of Flickr to a decentralized one, and seeing all of your comments and struggles, I came up with the idea of fractionalization - other Flickr users would have the opportunity to own a small share of your content, which would bring revenue to the creator of this content (therefore worth paying the $50 per year), and these other users would be able to print your content to show their appreciation of your work, not only with faves and comments here on the platform.

Please do let me know what you think of the idea! My pitch is in a couple of days :)
Thank you!

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

Thinking ahead ...
The Apple community is abuzz with rumors about new Macs based on Apple chips, and thoughts about convergence of the Mac and iPad operating systems. BUT ... I notice that Flickr is very different in Safari on iPad than it is in Safari on Mac. Some good things are just not possible on iPad; e.g., drag and drop for geotagging or for re-ordering Albums; adding tags with more than one word, separated by spaces. Some nice features on iPad don't exist on Mac; e.g., larger preview of photos posted in group submission queues. I really have to use both iPad and Mac to get the best experience from Flickr. Is there anything Flickr can do, now or in future, to preserve functionality as the Mac hardware and OS evolve?

view photos

lacavale55 says:

Hi,

I'm Pro member for some years now and I share the photos with my client frequently through flick albums.
The problems are always the same:
1. They are not able to download any photos over mobile browser.
2. The downloading of a full album is impossible, because the flickr cannot make a compressed file from the files or the downloading is always terminated.

No one will register, if these simple needs cannot be satisfied.

Suggested solution:
1. Please allow to download at least the 2Mpixel resized versions over mobile browser. It is enough for them on Instagram and facebook and it is not a big effort for the servers.

2. Why do not you introduce a torrent option instead of the downloading via zip in browser download option?
Benefits:
ZIP is not longer needed. If more than one sharing is available, it reduces the load of the server a lot. You can scale the bandwidth, if there are too many parallel downloading.
It can be continued later if there is some problem (e.g. user shut down the PC or there was some network issue, the browser crash is no longer relevant).
Currently if someone wants to download a whole album, if the ZIP can be created at all. The downloading is terminated almost all the time and the downloading must restarted several times and the server must send the same bytes as before. This is not necessary if you support magnet links or torrent protocol.

Please consider these.
Thanks, Laszlo

view photos

Fletch, pls don't fave alot of photo if I faved U. says:

cabb88:

How often are staff required to acknowledge members suggestions if at all? It's been 5 weeks since a staff person even made a comment here. Wouldn't a check in of at least once a week show us that staff is at least reading all of our silly ideas.

view photos

monii_19:

and these other users would be able to print your content to show their appreciation of your work

Would these other users be able to use our Photos in Commercial applications without contacting us and paying us for the use of our Photo? If yes then No, I do not agree with this.
Fletch, pls don't fave alot of photo if I faved U. edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

colink. says:

So it’s been 10 months since your blog post saying that your priorities for 2020 are:

Goal #1: Make Flickr cash-flow positive
Goal #2: Increase exposure and engagement on public photos
Goal #3: Foster community discussion

And what’s happened since then, at least from a public perspective?

1. Some filtering controls added to the feed
2. Replacing the old mapping control with a new provider
3. Maaaaaybe starting to think about not making Liking something part of your permanent public profile. Maybe. Or at least changing the icon.

Even taking into account the 2020 factor, that’s the type of progress that really makes me think that Flickr is now so loaded down with budget constraints and technical debt that it’s just going to shuffle for a few years bleeding users and trying to plug complaints from the Help Forum before eventually pulling the plug.

So it would be really nice to see a compelling roadmap of where things are going. This is what I’d like to see:

Goal #1: Make Flickr cash-flow positive

I don’t have the research you do, but I have to imagine that 95% of the people paying for Pro right now are doing it because they don’t want to lose their photos and want a nice place to show them. I can’t imagine there’s too many people wanting to pay for additional stats or services to increase their exposure on the Flickr platform compared to the exposure they get on any of the social media platforms.

So: To increase your revenue, or at least stop the bleeding, the #1 priority would be to not lose the people that have their photos already here. Which would mean, make this a compelling and attractive place for your photo portfolio.

The absolute basics of that would seem to be letting people put albums and collections on their homepage. SmugMug presumably knows what people will pay for after that since nice portfolio sites are their business.

I would like to see a Flickr nice enough to say “this is my portfolio page”. I would like to see it way more attractive than the current Yahoo-era design and with customizability worth paying for. I would like to see a roadmap saying this will happen.

Goal #2: Increase exposure and engagement on public photos

If Flickr is serious about accomplishing this, it needs to act like a social network from 2020 instead of a social network from 2003. Doesn’t it seem weird that the Share button doesn’t provide a way for share on Flickr? Doesn’t it seem weird that adding to your Favorites or adding to a Gallery doesn’t share anything anywhere on Flickr? Most of Flickr is still locked down in these weird silos that aren’t shown anywhere in the feed. You really like this photo and want to share it with your friends? Go somewhere else.

The fact is that for more users, Flickr is a depressing place to post photos and a disappointing place to look for good photos, especially if you don’t know anyone on Flickr (or they’ve already moved on to other sites). If you want to change that, there needs to be way more engagement, and to get that, you need to make it so that sharing isn’t something that happens somewhere else. Give even people who aren’t taking photos regularly a reason to log it, check their feeds, and like things, instead of being a site where most people log in, upload their latest photo, and then disappear.

Goal #3: Foster community discussion

Frankly I’m not sure what the goals would be for this. But if you want to foster communities about photography, look to where they are now: curated hashtag sites like JJCommunity on Instagram (or, before that, Lensblr on Tumblr). Communities built on mutual inspiration and even some competition, built on bare minimum simple tools like hashtags and reblogging. Think what sites like that could be like when combined with Flickr’s community features.

Flickr needs to change if it wants to regain its relevance. There are things - like sharing photos that aren’t your own, or letting people be leaders, teachers, curators or (dare I say it) “influencers” - that people on the forums will whine about - even if you provide the options to hide them from the feed. But I think those are changes are necessary if the "social" side of Flickr is to remain relevant. Just sharing photos isn't enough to keep the site thriving.
colink. edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Raed Shorrosh says:

cabb88:

Simply add a ‘like’ option to a comment

view photos

bacon.dumpling says:

I would advocate for exploring integration of Microsoft's Azure Cognitive Services (azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/cognitive-services/) with Flickr's auto tagging feature. I don't know what happened to that feature but it seems like it has gone by the wayside. In recents upload, none of the images had tag suggestions. Is tagging even still turned on?

According to Microsoft, their AI is capable of describing an image better than a human can (blogs.microsoft.com/ai/azure-image-captioning/) and they're now offering access to their API for developers. It supports all kinds of languages, so whatever Flickr's techstack is, it should be possible to take advantage of it.

Are there other features/issues that Flickr should take care of first? Possibly, although if Flickr had an outstanding tagging system, it would mean images can more easily be found and in turn, resulting in more traffic to Flickr. More traffic should translate into more business I would assume. So I'd think this could be worth bumping up the priority list.
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

abstractartangel77 says:

Have you ever thought of changing this Bad Panda image? We had it in the Yahoo days. Surely it's time for a change.

view photos

The North West Of Nowhere says:

I don't know if someone else has suggested this but it's late at night and I don't feel like looking for it.

What about adding a "if you liked this photo/user you may as well like this other photo/user" section?

For photos it would be under the albums section and for users it would be both on every photo page as well and on the about page.

It would show some thumbnails of different photos related to the current photo/user based either on tags (be it for the tags for that photo or globally as a user) or on location, be it location of the user or the photo. And they could be ordered by also date (recent) or "interestingness" or whatever.

Yes, that is something that anyone can go and see by themselves using the search function and the map. But making a suggestion is making things easier and start exploring other users photos that you might have never known about otherwise.

view photos

SGarriott says:

Photo-order in "Albums"

At the moment, while Photostream always shows most recent photos first, when interested people click on my Albums, they get to see my oldest shots and have to browse WAY down to get to my recent stuff. I have improved over time and really don't want my oldest stuff getting pushed to the top.
I do cull some of my older shots from time to time as my standards rise, but I would MUCH prefer to have album material ordered the other way 'round: most recent first. Maybe the Flickr account-holder could specify one of: "oldest first, newest first, or random" so there is a degree of control for the member. It is, after all, their album for showing their work.
Thanks for the consideration!

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Scheduled publication. Set a time for an uploaded photograph to be published.

view photos

macsimski says:

cabb88:

I think it is time for the timeline to take a backseat, but as an option so first time users have time to get familiar with the flickr world. for me it acts as a staging area when I post them to some groups. it will only be show in the organize window.

The ideal workflow for me would be a system where uploaded photos end up in the timeline and they will be initially added to the new "general" album, visible to all visitors when they visit flickr.com/photos/name or click your user avatar. this option is configurable in the settings page of your profile. so it is possible to have a photo in your timeline not visible in the general album but visible in another album at your will.

In the right (or left) column next to the photo list are the other albums shown. or some kind of tabs layout with the album names in a tab bar.

As for notifications and following other users, pictures are only shown from the general album ot the group you are a member of.

This way you can more clearly differentiate topics as my timeline shows pictures of people, buildings, experiments and scans of documents and only I know why they are in this order (upload time) and why they are there in the first place. someone following me for my portraits gets disappointed when i post eight pictures of an urban exploring sesiion and vice versa.

view photos

macsimski says:

SGarriott:

this is possible in the organizr:

-go to a album. at the top of the page there is a link called Edit in Organizr.
-click it. you end up in the organizr with the pictures of this album already in the staging area.
-drag them in the order you want and click save, middle left.
-done

view photos

gainesp2003 says:

cabb88:

Please remove the auto upload function on the app. It seems to have turned itself on and it is a serious pain in the butt to delete the photos it uploads. I've tried to follow the instructions posted online for doing so, but they don't work, and I'm left trying to delete loads of auto-uploaded images one at a time. I've since deleted my flickr app on my iphone, as it only adds annoyance. This whole experience makes me want to leave flickr, where I've been a member for over 15 years.

view photos

mcnod says:

gainesp2003:

Please remove the auto upload function on the app

You could have just turned off your auto-upload.
help.flickr.com/en_us/about-the-auto-uploadr-in-the-flick...

view photos

lisoidkotov says:

Revolutionary events and demonstrations are now taking place in Belarus, which are closely watched by the whole world. But Belarusians are a very poor people. This Flickr service is not popular in Belarus due to its high cost for residents of Eastern Europe and the former USSR. I propose to give the residents of Belarus a free subscription for a year so that the Flickr service has more relevant and unique photo reports from Belarus. With this action, you will support the people of an entire country in their struggle for democracy and human rights.

view photos

mcnod says:

lisoidkotov:

I propose to give the residents of Belarus a free subscription for a year so that the Flickr service has more relevant and unique photo reports from Belarus.

Anyone in Belarus can upload 1000 photos to a free flickr account provided they have access to the internet.

view photos

Stinkee Beek says:

Please please please implement 2-factor authentication for logins.

view photos

Rich Levinson says:

Thank you all of you for sharing an knowledgeable post, I found it very cool.

neutron star gravity

view photos

Elliott Cowand says:

Cabb88:

The manually curated selection of images from the BLM protests that made up Explore for June 10th was a great idea.

How about something similar in early November just of Halloween costumes?

view photos

Deborah Fishburn says:

Can you please update your Help section to ensure people can look up gifting FLICKR Pro? Details here - www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157716659861296/
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

PNWPhotoWalks says:

colink.:

So it would be really nice to see a compelling roadmap of where things are going.

+1. Thank you! Excellent post. I’ve been waiting patiently since the back-end infrastructure move to AWS was completed to see whether Flickr plans to make some additional improvements (investments) of significance. However, my patience is waning and my annual subscription renewal is coming up... I’ve also resisted the urge to post a negative review of Flickr’s mobile app in the Apple’s App Store, but I think that time is also approaching. If Don drops a PR on 12/19/2020, I sincerely hope it’s positive news and not another plea.

Now, in the spirit of offering suggestions for improvements - I previously posted this in the Help Forum but now I cannot locate it.

(1) Collect all of the positive suggestions/recommendations your customers have made since your CEO’s announcement, (2) then organize, categorize and rate them in terms of delivery, (3) then send us a well-designed questionnaire/survey to get our feedback.

I know this is just product program/project management 101 stuff, but I haven’t seen much evidence publicly that this is happening. Back in May when the migration to AWS was happening, I said I didn’t see much evidence of ITIL practices being employed, either. I don’t mean to sound harsh, but I’m genuinely interested in seeing Flickr remaining viable. And again, I’m a late in my reading and responding, so maybe the idea of the questionnaire has already been suggested.
PNWPhotoWalks edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

cabb88:

I'm not sure how many users there are on Flickr as some have multiple accounts, but the total number of users vs the number that get picked for the Explore feature is a tiny amount.

I've been selected a number of times so I am not complaining about how often I am picked but rather that so many others are not picked due to some of us being selected so often.

I think in the interest of fairness to everyone you should spread around the Explore feature to more of the users. The time out period between selections should be a minimum of 6 months.

view photos

womboyne7 says:

Fletch in HI:

it is nice that you are thinking to share the experience a little more Fletch, even to extend the timeout to one a month would increase people's chances of enjoying a moment in the spotlight.

view photos

womboyne7:

Thanks, with approximately 500 photos a day selected, 180 days means 90000 members would get an explore in a 6 months time frame.

view photos

SJH Foto says:

The ways in which I use flickr seem to be in the vast minority here. I am not saying that other people's ways are incorrect, and indeed, you really should gear it towards the majority of your users. For me, I don't care about explore. I am a professional photographer (which is not a put down for others, it just means that my photography is my method of income). As such, I don't care how many views my photostream has (I mean I like answering comments, but views and favourites for the sake of having them don't mean much to me), so it doesn't matter to me to have random people see my photos.

My suggestion to flickr though is to root out pervs and make it safer. What I mean by this is as follows: the VAST majority of my work involves photographing minor children (usually teenagers, or tweens) playing sports. We sell onsite at events, and shoot games for schools. Because girls are MUCH more interested in photos than boys, the overwhelming number of our photos are of young girls. This is primarily either girls volleyball, or dance competitions. I have SO MANY pervs trying to favourite my images, that it is unbelievable. I would say in the dozen or so years I've been on flickr, I block about 4 people a week on average.

Whenever I mention this, people on these forums tell me to either not upload the photos, to make them private, or to use another website. None of this is helpful-flickr is a VERY ideal website for my work. The parents (and grandparents, and coaches, and aunts, and other legitimate people) can find it easily, and it is quite inexpensive to have an unlimited supply of images (and that is true, as I literally have hundreds of thousands of pics, and almost 10 terrabytes of data on flickr!)

I can't make them private because, these tournaments have thousands (pre-COVID of course) of spectators who are part of that legitimate group that will buy photos. We do sell them onsite, but some will go back later to an album, and then contact me to make a purchase. On top of that, flickr is a good way to showcase my abilities to new clients. None of this is feasible to have the images private.

So, again, my advice to flickr is to delete accounts that have no photos and just favourite images of half dressed people (especially minors). I mean some of those photos are legit, but when people make favourite collections of them, 99% of the time they are disgusting pervs that should be banned, and preferably taken off the streets!

view photos

Gösta Knochenhauer says:

I have two wishes for albums in the Organizer:

1. I want an option to sort items by the number of views, and maybe also by the number of faves.

2. When I have made a selection of items, I can now add them to an album. I would like to be able to remove them from an album.

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

Its very nice there's now license meta-data embedded on photopages, so f.ex. Google Image Search can show licencing information (www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157716443852828/).

But I think it would be nice if licensing meta-data was also added to Flickr's embedding-code for albums (and possibly other types of embedding, but I have personally only used Flickr's embedding-code for albums).

When you embed an album with Flickr's embedding-code, a script from Flickr creates an iframe running slideshow of images in the album. I think it would be relatively easy to add licensing meta-data in the content of the iframe?

Even though the iframe is created from a piece of included javascript, I have noticed the Google Image Search spider is clever enough to detect all the images in the album when embedded on f.ex. my homepage.

view photos

~Jany~ says:

cabb88:

I would love to see a function that every day you log into Flickr you get to see a 1 year ago today 2 years ago today... 10 years ago today etc. and it would show all the pictures that have been shot on that day throughout the years. Also wish that when I enter into the search bar Nov 1st it would show all my Nov 1st pictures throughout the years. But it only comes up empty until I type in the individual years.

view photos

If you're going to have ads on Flickr to help pay the bills why not get real ads from places like Adorama, B&H, and the multitude of Photography magazines out there. These ads that are by flickr I doubt you make anything off them in fact it's costing you the money you could be making from real adverts.

cabb88:

view photos

M.P.N.texan says:

Is there any way to become a moderator in a group abandoned by the administration in order to keep the group pool clean of photo-bombers?

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

M.P.N.texan:

Is there any way to become a moderator in a group abandoned by the administration in order to keep the group pool clean of photo-bombers?

Yes, there is.
Use this form to get in touch with staff about it:
help.flickr.com/contact

view photos

flexible fotography says:

something about FLICKR that bugs me to no end is that when i upload 4 or 6 photos to a group, they never - and i mean NEVER - appear in the same order as i added them. even adding just 2 at once, sometimes the left one will be first and sometime the right one will.

to be clear: on the screen to add photos, they are added 1,2,3,4, left, right; left right. but when they appear on the group photo pool, they MAY be 1342. or 1243. or 2431 -- it seems to be just random. and if 6 are added at one time, the randomness is increased by 1/3!!
maddening, i tell ya.

does anyone have any insight on this particular programming peculiarity?
is there any way to fix this buggaboo???

m-lc

view photos

OzGFK says:

I would like a way to view photos from my groups, in the same way that that I can view photos from my contacts (You->People). Currently the only way to view a selection of photos from my groups is via the main Flickr splash page, but I have no control over how many photos from each group to display.
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Blaise Tobia says:

Navigation could be better! There are many paths that have no easy return route. For example, if you go to a collection and then into an album there is no link back to the collection - just to the albums page.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Blaise Tobia:
Can't you simply use the 'back' button on whatever device/browser/app you're using?

view photos

Mad_T says:

Camera finder - this has stopped like 4 years ago? Camera nerds (like me) are always interested in trends, camera, lenses, brands - etc.

view photos

My Journey Mexico says:

cabb88:

Can you please do something to prevent accounts like this one which has no block icon. www.flickr.com/groups/1383915@N25/

view photos

ernstkers says:

My Journey Mexico:

accounts like this one

That's not an account, it's a group.

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

My Journey Mexico:

Can you please do something to prevent accounts like this one which has no block icon. www.flickr.com/groups/1383915@N25/

As mentioned by ernstkers, it is a group. But if you get an invitation to a group, you can see what user has invited you to the group. At least in the note you receive in flickrmail or as email-notification (Unfortunately inviter cannot be seen in notifications dropdown). But in the email/flickrmail for group-invites there's unfortunately no direct link to the user inviting you (neither in email-notifications nor in flickrmail). You will have to search Flickr to find the user having the (display)name found in the invitation, to find the actual user inviting and block him/her.

(Above is actually difficult to explain/write understandable, which I think is just a symptom of something that needs to be redesigned/optimized).

I vote for Flickr to improve those group invite notifications, so you easily can block (and eventually report) the user inviting. Right now it is too much trouble.

But also would be nice if you could block invites to specific groups no matter who tries to invite you too it.

Group invites has become spammer's favorite tool on Flickr, and current design of invites-flow and notifications are probably mainly to blame for this.
Stig Nygaard edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

OzGFK says:

I would like to see intelligent albums, similar to the Dopiaza plug in, but something that works live. So when I upload photos with certain tagsk or exif data, or upload / capture dates etc, they will automatically appear in those albums, in addition to the albums I add manually.

view photos

Polar Noire says:

Please re-instate possibilty to pay Pro-accounts via Paypal or at least normal bank transfer. Otherwise i will have to cancel my pro account. And i doubt i will be the only one. You fail to understand, that credit cards are not particularly popular in many countries.

view photos

Jorge Lascar says:

Album View - They should display the total number of the views of the pictures they contain

view photos

Robert GLOD (Bob) says:

How to Share a Link to a Flickr Slideshow?
- the old "/show" suffix no longer works!
- the new "#" suffix did not start the Slideshow!
Is there a way to link to a Flickr Slideshow?
There should be! If not --> Feature request.

view photos

Flawuer says:

como es posible la subida de flikr cuando el año pasado pague 40 euros????

view photos

Robert GLOD (Bob) says:

Album organization:
The selected "Arrange"-ment should be memorized, and successive additions should be made in the specified order!

view photos

spelio says:

cabb88:

someone has started a com.au website for Family Heritage type use.

memories.com.au/

I have many Albums on Flickr for families and it works well for me, except nobody can ad images unless they log on as me which is a risk and maybe against Flickr Rules. I can give them an account to use to add comments but the only way they can contribute images is by sending them to me.

I have made a Group for Bettie, an Aunt, but nobody has posted there, even to a FB Group I made for her.

Many people have to be more dedicated than me, and computer literate to join these sites.

Not sure if you could make a User interface like Memories that is easy and attractive for families. Easier than Facebook where they all seem to be!

I made a Group for my ACE Mob friends, you can see some of it, but nobody has contributed their images of children and Grandchildren just for us to see!!!

I wonder on the success of Flickr members in doing this.

Perhaps the Flickr Blog could show some examples. I have never stumbled on any. I often search for family, wife or home to find out a little more of contacts?

cheers, Bill
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

spelio says:

Gösta Knochenhauer:

1. I want an option to sort items by the number of views, and maybe also by the number of faves.

that would be a good idea..

You can now move and delete, but the only way to sort by views would be to give a hashtag to each as you come across them in Activity or in your photostream, then you can find them in Organizer to move around!
spelio edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

spelio says:

Carol Ginsberg Brown:

but they can only see Public ones. They could find you anyway by a search..

Don't you like people seeing the rest of your images? That is what Flickr is for...

as soon as you comment on someone's image they can click on your icon and enjoy the rest of your photos....

view photos

spelio says:

Stig Nygaard:

I just click on the inviter icon and there they are!

view photos

spelio says:

flexible fotography:

this has been a problem for years. I gave up .. even select from right to left , BUT you can re-arrange them in the uploader to how you want them, but I have forgotten now if the first one comes up last, but at least they are next to the other image on each side as you selected.

That is how they appear in the Album you send them too, but other shots from a different date or theme sent to another Album will break up the order in the Photostream, but the Album order is preserved, until you sort that Album by date!

I would like a feature, seems to work sometimes, that if I'm looking at an image from a search deep within my photostream, if I then click my icon or see Photostream, I'm taken to that point in the Photostream where I was looking, and not back to the latest Photostream post. An option to select one or the other would be OK.

view photos

spelio says:

WalrusTexas:

convergence of the Mac and iPad operating systems. BUT

The MAC OS would never fit on my MD510X/A iPad. I and running out of room all the time now with Version 10.3.3 only have 245Mb left most of the time, even after deleting dozens of Apps, and some that fail to run on the old OS... Keeps locking up, so just use it for some FB, viewing on Flickr and some posting to Flickr and IG and some navigation apps.

Otherwise I have not noticed specific difference between Safari o the iPad and Chrome on my PCs.. I notice I have to search in different places sometimes, but at least the Forum looks the same!

view photos

spelio says:

macsimski:

thanks for the tip in Organizer...

view photos

spelio says:

Robert GLOD (Bob):

Is there a way to link to a Flickr Slideshow?
There should be! If not --> Feature request.

Just www.flickr.com/photos/spelio/albums/72157623866543466#

Then click the Slide Show icon that looks like a little TV on the far right in the Edit in Organizer menu line...

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Off-setting comments introduced today:

I believe this is a wasted effort: it could lead to slowing the system.

If it ain't broke, why need to fix.

My sincere suggestion.

view photos

ponzü says:

Ability to easily find one's own posts across Group Discussions. Sorted chronologically. Possibly, ability to find any user's posts, although any user should have an option to opt out of having their posts discoverable in this fashion.

Thank you!

view photos

Flawuer says:

Es una pena que a una sola pregunta que hago y no se me contesta, es sobre el pago tan desorbitado que han puesto.
flawuer

view photos

Joe Shlabotnik says:

spelio:

I have many Albums on Flickr for families and it works well for me, except nobody can ad images unless they log on as me which is a risk and maybe against Flickr Rules. I can give them an account to use to add comments but the only way they can contribute images is by sending them to me.

I've been asking for shared albums (as well as smart albums, auto-sorting albums, private albums, custom album URLs, and a whole host of album improvements) for nearly 15 years now. I'm beginning to think that none of that might ever happen.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Clement Tang *:

Hello. If you're referring to this change, this was an accident on our end that should now be corrected. Let me know if you're referring to something else, though!

view photos

IkTom says:

What would be really great, is if we could get periodic updates about how Flickr is doing. The discussions and rumors regarding Flickr's imminent demise are still flying all over the place.

The last we heard, Flickr needed help bringing in more Pro subscribers, which of course fueled the idea that financial collapse is right on the horizon.

Those of us that are Pro subscribers, and are truly enjoying the site and looking forward to more cleanup of the mess Yahoo left it, would really like to hear such updates.

Maybe this is already being done someplace, and I'm just missing it.

Thanks.

view photos

dsbaars says:

Its 2020, please add 2FA or any alternative mechanism which helps secure your account, like sending an e-mail when a new login happens or an overview of sessions with IP-addresses.

view photos

Striderv says:

Unfortunately the search function does not allow (to the best of my knowledge at least) to search for peoples albums or sets. Instead I have to look thru images posted and look at each image individually to see what albums or sets members have stored them in. I would love to be able to look just for peoples sets or albums on specific searches. I wonder if this could be a possibility some time in the future?

view photos

flyingfoto's says:

Raed Shorrosh:

That is a great idea!!

view photos

flyingfoto's says:

Raed Shorrosh:

Great idea!

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

cabb88:

Thanks a lot, I've noticed that. It makes sense!!

Best regards.

view photos

riki123metz says:

cabb88:

Hi,
I've heard that every e-mail has a carbon footprint, and that even cutting an e-mail a day can save carbon emissions. I receive notifications from Flickr every time I there is activity in my account. Could I receive just one notification every24 hours mentioning the number of likes, faves and follows during that period of time.

Flickr would be doing a great service to the environment by sending fewer notifications to its members, or giving them a choice of how often they would like to be notified.

Please let me know if that could be done.

Thank you,

Riki.
Posted 10 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

ShellyS says:

riki123metz:

I get one email a day. You can choose how often you get email notifications by going into your Account Settings, then Email and Notifications, then click Edit for each of the two types of notification emails.

You can get to your settings by clicking your avatar pic on the right of the top navbar. This is on a PC. I'm not sure how it looks on the app.
Posted 10 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Allyndon - Capturing things great and/or small says:

It would be nice to have hidden files. I don’t like having all my photos visible as it gets overwhelming. I have just started using my iPhoto’s for that reason.
Posted 9 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

mcnod says:

Allyndon - Capturing things great and/or small:

You can make any photo "private", and you can view your photostream by "view all" or "public". (There are several private categories.) As public, I only see 209 photos in your stream. Look for the switch upper left of your photostream when using the full site on a browser.

view photos

Jon in ON says:

Changes to the Flickr editor gave me one of my requests; now I can crop to native 3:2 format.

Thank you!

There is a bug though. When I select 3:2 ratio, it defaults to 60 x 40 pixel resolution, the size of a postage stamp. It should not default to a setting nobody would ever want.

Please "unselect" the radio button by default.

view photos

spelio says:

cabb88:

for some reason the edit comment tool using an iPad, now returns me to the top of the page and the image.

happens at any depth down in the comments stream...

has been happening for a week now

there is no previous help from a search for edit comment iPad fail on the Forum!

view photos

mcnod says:

spelio:

This is a known issue with Safari, or are you using the flickr app?

This is the Idea Thread, not a place to report a problem, you should post here:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157716935055806/

view photos

spelio says:

We are not sure if this is possible with Flickr's system. When in a conversation on the Help Forum there is no notification of additional comments after our most recent one as in conversations in groups. When there is a conversation going on in a group there is a notification we receive for recent entries. When we click these notifications 'on' it takes us to these recent comments which are at the end of the conversation. Thus we don't have to page through ....

this idea is still waiting to be acted on!

Adding a LIKE button would also help staff to notice popular ideas!

The Reply button has disappeared from earlier posts here, I got the impression the Thread was closed. (edit.. Looks like it is only offered in the last pages of the Thread! )

While swapping from the iPad to the PC I have lost the permalink for the above idea! And whose idea it was!
Just found it from another Chrome Tab..
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157714720744427/7215771...

cabb88:
spelio edited this topic 9 days ago.

view photos

spelio says:

mcnod:

There was no help elsewhere.... or they were closed!!!

Not a known bug to me.!!

It has worked in Safari for years before..... Just stopped working on the iPad, a week or two ago!!!

view photos

spelio says:

When I use Organizer, which is frequently, sometimes I want to, for example, add the same TAG to 3,000 of my pictures. Frequently a Flickr Notice will pop up saying that my ENTIRE selected batch will not go through, because a certain number of my pictures already have the limit of 75.That's all fine and makes sense, but in
all these years, Flickr has never said WHICH ONES that have reached 75
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157714720744427/7215771...

Why can't the Organizer just skip those files and continue??

cabb88:

view photos

agentGav says:

Please bring back Magic View and auto-tagging. I was very sad to see it disabled but thought I'd give you a good while to do the 'handover' from Yahoo...

Was very relieved to see the (essential) camera-roll back, thank you.

I saw on a now-closed thread that you thought magic view had 'very low use' but it's super-useful to find images in your own portfolio... the fact it had 'low use' could be a sign that it actually worked extremely quickly for those using it (it did for me)!

It would also be great to externalise it as a general ML-based search function, especially when searching for CC-licensed images from others of a 'type'.
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Mat Mayer says:

There are so many marketing ideas I have which I am baffled haven't already been introduced. I am so disappointed by the current marketing I have deleted all but 1k photos and given up being pro as I can't see the team making it work. So my 1st tip would be to replace the marketing team

1. Replace the marketing team with a new digital marketing agency who has experience monetizing content.

Adding to the team is probably the best thing to get the experience of the current team. Investing in some specialists who can make things happen and bring new ideas to the table that they know how to execute is essential imo.

The begging for money was all well and good but I subscribed because I appreciate the platform and hoped you would improve marketing- that didn't happen and the begging continued. Maybe Flickr can survive with begging as Wikipedia does. But I am not going to invest ever-increasing subscription fees and my time uploading my photos in a platform which doesn't appear to be successful.

2. Get serious about revenue streams. Get a clear plan and execute it.

I really don't think you are making your money back on the free accounts, so Pro's are getting higher and higher subscriptions and begging emails. Pros have a good service, but there are lots of ways it could be improved which I am not going into now- I assume others have covered them. I don't know if anything has changed since Smug Mug took over.

With the printing, there is no pricing and I had to ask on here to get an answer. That is a very clear message that you are not taking printing seriously as a revenue stream. The service needs optimizing for conversions and that probably means having at least pricing for the USA. I saw zero reasons to try the printing over what I currently use- apps that show me pricing and paper quality upfront.

Advertising to non-pro members seems very light. I assume because of the begging emails that ads do not make enough money with free members. This revenue stream needs fixing or replacing.

3. Change the adverts to a revenue stream that works.

This is a big one. I travel a lot and rarely ever saw adverts when I wasn't pro. Maybe it was because I wasn't in the UK or another rich country. But I suspect it is a bit weakly done- again it needs optimising with split testing different options to balance out ad earnings whilst not being too invasive. It is so non-invasive from what I have seen that you can try doing more invasive advertising imo.

One revenue stream which may work would be to partner up with DPreview. That website is a gear review site with gear forums which are very active. It is owned by Amazon, has Amazon ads and probably makes a load of money from selling camera gear.

4. New revenue stream example- a joint venture for affiliate sales on camera gear and phones

There are groups here for every camera and every lens but you aren't monetizing them. You could have standard Amazon affiliate links or banners in these groups. Or you could partner up with someone with mega gear traffic like DPereview and integrate Flickr with their poor gallery system -

DPreview allows people to upload photos but they aren't stored in galleries by default- they just go in a forum thread. There must be a way of integrating Flickr so that people have a much smoother experience. People would spend longer on their site and yours. Maybe scrap current discussions for gear groups as most are dead anyway. And let DPreview provide the discussions.

If you can get the gear heads on camera forums looking at examples of photos taken with certain cameras and lenses, then you can monetize their purchases online with Amazon. DPreview could be happy with this as it may keep users on their site longer and you could handle the hosting costs and provide a superb gallery service where people discuss lenses and cameras endlessly- they all buy at some point and when they spend $1k on a camera you get a nice cut.

And of course, everyone buys smartphones- you should be getting affiliate commissions on that too- by monetizing the groups for each model and Flickr could be marketed as the new better alternative to Instagram, which absolutely ruins photos, just like Facebook does. Flickr is so dead that people put up with the terrible resizing and compression on Instagram and Facebook....

5. For Gods sake stimulate the discussions. Every group is abandoned or dead.

There are very few groups that have lots of discussions, which means people are just looking at photos here instead of lingering discussing photography and gear. Again this may require partnering up with someone e.g. get people logging in with their Facebook account or Twitter account. Twitter is probably more likely as Facebook owns Instagram which is a competitor.

Twitter might be ideal for sharing new photos with tags and if the comments/tweets could show on both sites then you have just tapped in to many more users.

6. Become the alternative to Instagram.

As mentioned above Flickr should be marketed as the better alternative to Instagram. And the benefits of Flickr are obvious- e.g. full quality photos.

You also have the opportunity to position yourself as a Google Photos alternative now that they aren't offering unlimited photos forever. Photos can be made private on here. But you need users. That's why partnering up with a site like DPreview or a social network like Twitter is important- you need massive traffic.

Flickr should stay alive and I really hope it does. But I think you need to at least make this the place photographers come to share and discuss photos.

Summary:
This site needs traffic which sticks around and then you need to monetize people's camera gear purchases and possibly phones- at least camera-centric phones.

Big changes need to happen and I see that occurring with a partnership with a platform which already has massive traffic, as you obviously don't have the money to invest in doing it solo with a mega marketing campaign.

So you are going to have to give a chunk of the ownership away, but in the long run, monetizing gear purchases should make Flickr profitable. Affiliate links can be embedded in text so they don't need to look like adverts- that way you can show them to all Pro members.

Join forces with someone with mega users- Apple? DPreview (not mega traffic but decent numbers and affiliate sales proven to work), Twitter? There must be more options to approach.

The unique selling points of Flickr are great: full quality image uploads and storage. You need to get people sharing from Flickr every day on their other platforms, especially Whatsapp.

Maybe privacy could be a USP if you are just monetizing Amazon sales? Lots of people are concerned about how much data Facebook and Google share- this is why I mentioned Apple as a potential partner- they seem more privacy-friendly.

Maybe blogging could be a thing- at the moment we can make galleries here- wouldn't it be cool if we could add text and videos too? So that a gallery could be shared as a website/portfolio.

Another thing is getting Vloggers to sell gear on here, but I am a bit tired to go into this now. They should be on here as they often link to lens samples on Flickr- pay them some of the affiliate sales- make it worth their while to be on Youtube and Flickr, or just here.

Maybe you could sign up some exclusive deals to get the ball rolling- gear vloggers like Kai would be big news if he became an exclusive Flickr video creator and maybe get some photographers to only share their photos on here? Like Joe Rogan on Spotify -which is going to take tens of millions of viewers away from YouTube every day.

Making Galleries editable with text and videos and code could be massive. A far cheaper and more featured and easier to use alternative to Squarespace.

Good luck guys. Please make Flickr successful. I have always appreciated the excellent, seemingly too generous service for free accounts.

ps. get camera brands on here. When they launch new cameras get the news here. Have them release their product launch videos on here. Cameras are going to need to start sharing photos online soon- make sure you are available as the full quality alternative to the poor resolution photos on Instagram.
Mat Mayer edited this topic 8 days ago.

view photos

Slow Turning says:

SGarriott:
This is possible, but with one 'catch' that I wish flickr would fix. Here's how:

* Go to your list of albums and select an album
* From the white horizontal toolbar near the top, select "Edit in Organizr"
* After all the tiny thumbnails load (it takes a few moments), select "Arrange", found at the top left of the group of thumbnails
* Select your preferred order from the drop-down menu
* Click "SAVE", located beneath the vertical yellow-shaded box on the left hand side of that page

Here's the 'catch' ... while your existing images will now be ordered in the way you wish, every time you add a new image to that album, it will still get added at the end -- argh! So you have perform the foregoing every time you add a new image to an album, in order to have the newly-added image appear in your chosen order. I hope this helps, and I hope the flickr folks see this post and make the adjustment that will allow user-initiated changes to the order of images in their albums to remain 'sticky'.

view photos

Glenn Losack M.D. says:

re: Frames
instead of that brown outer layer
how about black which is usually the classic frame
around a white matte.

that's my 2 cents
Posted 5 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

david.dale53@yahoo.co.uk says:

I do a lot of inviting to my groups by sending a personal message. Recently I sent out one and got a reply in return saying that the owner of the photo had passed away and the Flickr account was left in sito as a memorial account. I am aware that Flickr is in the process of pruning free loaders down to a maximum of 1,000 per free account, yet after more than two years I still see hundred of members still have over the limit free account. Is Flickr behind in the task or are these accounts in Memorian. If so perhaps an identification against the name of the photographer stating that that particular member had passed like eg TOM JONES R.I.P.
Seeing R.I.P or other known lettering against a name may prevent those of us who send out personal invites sending out one that may be received by the bereaved family and causing more upset to that family. Thank you.
Posted at 8:06AM, 30 November 2020 GMT ( permalink | reply | edit )
Posted 9 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

1 2 3 4 5 6 next →
(501 to 584 of 584 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads