Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 4 hours ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 2 months ago
[Official] Flickr requesting that some Pro subscribers update their subscription information
Latest: 3 months ago

Current Discussion

Views being Deleted
Latest: 9 minutes ago
[Investigating] View counts stalling... Again & Again &Again
Latest: 26 minutes ago
Geotagging went wrong
Latest: 5 hours ago
moving images
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] Bad Panda on tags
Latest: 6 hours ago
Odd Behavior Viewing Contacts Photos
Latest: 8 hours ago
Group disappeared
Latest: 9 hours ago
notification icon sometimes has a box around it
Latest: 9 hours ago
"Social ban" bug is "spamming" in group queues
Latest: 11 hours ago
Site Status Page Not Reporting Issues
Latest: 22 hours ago
'Flickr Series Number: CIO-GG-619002 award' - Is this a scam?
Latest: 24 hours ago
I would like to see updates to display statistics
Latest: 26 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

If you have an idea that can help us improve how Flickr works, share it with us here. If you can, please provide details about how this idea would improve the experience for you and other Flickr members.

I’ll be monitoring this thread and sharing your feedback with the rest of the team. Please be respectful of everyone’s ideas and keep our forum guidelines in mind when posting.

Thank you!
Posted at 8:21AM, 15 June 2020 PDT ( permalink | reply )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 2 months ago.

1 2 3 4 next →
(301 to 327 of 327 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
view photos

StevenM_61 says:

Do away with galleries. Flickr should be about photographers showcasing their own photos, not users making albums of other people's photos. I had to block a couple of people recently who put some of my photos into their galleries but did not have any photos of their own on Flickr. Faving a photo is supposed to be telling a user that you like their photo although that feature has often been abused but when you put another user's photo into your gallery, you are using that other user's photo.

There are many users who have marked their streams as All Rights Reserved who may not be aware that other users can take their photos by putting them into galleries, which is a violation of copyright.
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

mcnod says:

StevenM_61:

Do away with galleries

You have the option to stop others from using your photos in their galleries:
www.flickr.com/account/prefs/galleries/?from=privacy

view photos

mcnod says:

StevenM_61:

Flickr should be about photographers showcasing their own photos

So why does your stream contain so many "photos found on eBay" ??

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

StevenM_61:

There are many users who have marked their streams as All Rights Reserved who may not be aware that other users can take their photos by putting them into galleries, which is a violation of copyright.

In addition to the points accurately made above by mcnod...
No, it is not a violation of copyright.
Photos in galleries, as elsewhere on Flickr, are merely links back to the one copy of the photo, on its photopage.
A photo in a gallery has not been 'taken' from its owner, it is just a link, and clicking on it will take you straight to the photopage.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

jlavila says:

Where are all the comments in the sidebar?
The last time I logged in there were 9 pages with comments against the sidebar.
The page design looks more and more like Ebay!

view photos

bwilliamp says:

From my older post.

Wish list.

Mine starts with a meaningful update/upgrade to an actual functioning of maps.

A virtual photo/video tour feature... How many times do we see on the internet or gets asked by someone going on a trip for a list of things to see or do? It would be great to create something for those people or for anyone who follows a Flickr member (Or group) who's photos they love. Something that gives a guided tour. Or even if someone comes across a photo they like online somewhere other than Flickr and they want more... With a update/upgrade maps, I'd would love some sort of stories/adventure/virtualphototour feature. Where a Flickr member/group could create a personal mapping of a tour of their photos and create a link to share.

Or a side thought on that. What if Flickr curated photos from Flickr members for a virtual "walking" tours where they featured members/groups photos using a new mapping feature. Say someone is going to Kyoto, Japan. They could select a Flickr virtual walking tour and be lead on a highly curated tour (using members photos of a country, city or even just a neighbourhood.

The Flickr map feature is over a decade old and hasn't been given any tlc by previous owners. I would love the new owners to fix that and have a functioning maps feature to allow Flickr members to get creative with maps.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katiekoberger says:

jlavila:

I think this is the thread you're looking for:

[Official Thread] We’re rolling out a new Flickr activity feed

The thread has since been closed, but you can still check out past comments!

view photos

OzGFK says:

bwilliamp:

That's a great idea. Flickr introduced me to geotagging when I joined in 2007 and I love looking at my map.

I agree it would be awesome to see this feature expanded on, walking tours or before and after comparisons of locations from different years. Either curated yb a human every now and then or AI curation with user intervention / correction for AI learning.

view photos

POsrUs says:

I'd like to see fixes for the following things that used to work but don't now.

On the Organize map: allow entering a place name (city, state) without getting "No results found"

Editing portrait pictures (Staff have been "investigating" this issue for four months.)
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

jschumacher says:

POsrUs:

For the map just type in the city name and hit return. That will bring back a list of “city, state” options and you can then click on the one you are interested in. That works for the US, I’m not sure about other countries.

BTW, this is a change Flickr made 2-3 years ago but never bothered to announce.

view photos

OzGFK says:

On infinite scrolling pages, please relocate the bottom hyperlink bar, which is useless when the page continues to load and infinitely scroll. This should be on the top bar.

view photos

Aktive Pupille says:

Aktive Pupille edited this topic 6 days ago.

view photos

dccradio says:

As part of the stats, I'd like to be able to have stats regarding what cameras I use the most. Like the number of pictures I've taken with each camera. Maybe tie it in somehow with the camera finder to show others pictures with that same model camera. I have used a number of cameras over the years. It would be interesting for me to know what cameras I use the most.

I have always enjoyed the camera finder and would like to see that updated more regularly with newer cameras. It also seems that some older cameras are missing from that feature. I know at least two of mine show the camera in the exif, but no link for more on that particular camera.

view photos

Lensjoy says:

1) I'm a big fan of the current justified view, I hope you keep it that way. The old layouts, with small thumbnails, lots of white space, text, subfolders etc. were unattractive, clumsy, and messy by comparison, and browsing through numerous photos "the old way" took forever. I'm sure most Flickr users (the silent majority) prefer the current layout of the photostream. If someone wants to browse tiny thumbnails in a castrated (cropped) grid square format, I suggest they check out Instagram.

2) How about opening Flickr Explore to older uploads? It could also be a mix of new and older "unexplored" images.

3) Currently, Flickr groups can only be filtered by name, latest photo, and latest post: www.flickr.com/groups Please, make it also possible to filter them by numer of members, photos, and topics.
Posted 5 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

s0340248 says:

Search in the app (mobile):

When I search for a date in the app, I always get my own pictures presented. I don't want to see them at this point, I have other options.

The extent of Second Life is rampant. With a search result in the app, please create the option to hide Second Life. It is clear that Second Life is art. But I want to see pictures.

Recently, when I was searching for an app, I got hundreds of pictures that were uploaded by a local authority and a sports club - probably from Brazil. In an app search I would like to have a maximum of 5 pictures of one person displayed.

Flickr communication:

What does Flickr actually do with all the suggestions that users - and most of them are paying customers - made here? Flickr communication is underground or non-existent. Does this behavior actually correspond to your business policy? I expect a list of the suggestions, an evaluation of whether it makes sense or not, and communication of the results when implemented. This is now the third attempt for a results table.
Posted 5 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Simon Tinguely says:

When I share an album using a link, the way the pictures are displayed on a mobile device is very poor: no full screen mode, painfull navigation, etc. Of course it's much better when using the App, but most people won't install it just to view an album.
I'm considering leaving flickr only for that reason...
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

German Vogel says:

1) Scheduled uploads - so I can focus more on interacting with the community rather than on daily and individually dedicating time to get uploads right.

2) Photo description automatic template - to avoid having to manually insert a copyright notice every time I upload.
Posted 2 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

kong niffe says:

Some groups are picky. I was banned from one such group, (propably) because I reposted a shot that had recently been rejected. Problem is, I just forgot I had posted it there, so that's why I sent it back in. It would be helpful to get a short notice of the rejection, so as to help not reposting and rather try to shoot better next time.

Sure, someones anger might be triggered by a rejection of their photo, but it can also open up a discussion on how to improve. And it's not a good feeling either, to just get an unexplained "you're banned"-message in Flickrmail.

view photos

Linda DV says:

About the 30/60 limit.
I think the idea to start with was not bad because there are so many people posting the same shot to 100 groups in one day.
But I think it would be better to introduce a limit of 'groups per day' you can send your photo to.
That way people can still post their pictures to any group they like, but over a longer period, not every group the same day.

Do something about the abandoned groups.
Like introduce a volunteer thread where people can propose an abandoned group they wish to take on. I have seen lots of groups hijacked by dumpers.
I volunteered to take over a group. Actually the admin of that group himself had requested for someone to take over. Unfortunately I saw it too late and he already left. So I mailed Flickr staff but they could not promote me, so they said, no explanation given. But they proposed help to start my own group. I do not need help, nor do I wish to add yet another group. I already manage several groups, some of them I started myself. My only purpose was to take over one of the numerous abandoned groups, so it wasn't abandoned anymore.

On the subject of galleries
I would like to be able to change the order of my galleries, like it is possible with albums.
Right now the galleries always stay in the same order they've been created. I don't mean the order of the pictures in the galleries, but the actual galleries themselves.
And to clarify things, I don't have galleries with this account. For administrative purposes I do have a second account where I create the galleries to showcase the winners in our group contests.
Linda DV edited this topic 2 days ago.

view photos

Lensjoy says:

kong niffe:

Some groups are picky. . . . It would be helpful to get a short notice of the rejection,

Absolutely, great idea and I have also thought about it! After a couple of days, let alone months or years, it's very difficult to remember if a particular photo was submitted to a moderated group but was not accepted or was deleted by the moderators. I don't want to break the group rules (do not re-submit photos), but I don't always remember if this is my second attempt at adding a particular photo to a moderated group. Please, give us some clue on the photo status with the selected groups.

view photos

Stuart Smith_ says:

My idea:-

Being an Australian and a Western Australian at that, how about Flickr change its mapping description to "Western Australia" instead of "West Coast Australia".
Posted 34 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

BlueVoter - thanks for 2.9M views says:

The "Add this photo to your map" feature is badly broken. It used to be excellent, allowing you to specify details down to a street address and display the map properly so that you could geolocate your photo if you didn't have GPS on your device.

Now it is basically useless. Two examples:
1) If you search for "san francisco, ca", the search reports nothing found. You have to type "San Francisco, California" for it to find the city. But then you have to scroll over the map to find the location you want, since it doesn't recognize either street addresses or landmarks, as you can do in Google Maps (for example);
2) If you search for "San Jose, California", you get three results. The first option places you 300 miles away to North Pomona, CA. The second option places you 75 miles away near Novato, CA. Only the third one places you in downtown San Jose.

Same problem with almost any other location, and it's worse when you are trying to locate a place where names do not use a Roman character set or where there are multiple spellings for a place name.

I would say let's "Make Flickr Maps Great Again" but that would probably make everything worse.
Posted 31 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

BlueVoter - thanks for 2.9M views says:

jschumacher:

But it doesn't really work. Try San Jose, California, and you will get three different locations, only the last of which is the real San Jose. The whole Maps feature is badly broken from what it was 5-10 years ago, and needs a complete rewrite plus an improved location database. It would be great to match the location search capability of Google Maps or Apple Maps.
Posted 31 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Hans Kerensky says:

Would love to have an opt out option for the Flickr Blog that is shown to me every time that I do log in. Really don't like the more and more political messaging that is presented there. No need for that on Flickr.
Posted 26 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

kristian_cruz says:

cabb88:

On Flickr iOS app, pls include an option to edit our profile (About section). There is no option to change our bio, which seems to be an option in almost all online platforms.

On the app, pls also allow us to easily change our cover/banner photo.

I do not own a laptop or desktop, just my iPhone. It is annoying why I am unable to change something as minor as a bio/profile description.

Pls help
Posted 17 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

kristian_cruz says:

cabb88:

Also, sorry forgot to add, on the iOS app, pls include Flickr mail there. As i don’t own a laptop or desktop... just to check FlickrMail I would have to go to a web version of Flickr on my iPhone just to check if I have mail.

Would have been easier if Flickr Mail appeared in my notifications on Flickr iOS app
Posted 17 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

OzGFK says:

BlueVoter - thanks for 2.9M views:

If I search "san francisco" and then hit enter, it brings up all the possible locations, and California is one of them.

Mapbox is much better than what we used to endure. It is still not great, in that searching for suburbs within major cities doesn't work, but that hasn't worked in a decade.
Posted 4 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

1 2 3 4 next →
(301 to 327 of 327 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads