Latest: 16 hours ago
[Official Thread] Flickr partners with Pixsy to fight image theft
Latest: 2 days ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 2 days ago
[Official Thread] (Updated 2019.03.20) Temporary Video Downtime
Latest: 4 days ago

Current Discussion

Why won’t my photos delete or remove from my album?
Latest: 4 minutes ago
What is going on Explore now?
Latest: 10 minutes ago
How to upload RAW file formats (.DNG, .NEF)
Latest: 21 minutes ago
cannot log in on ipad 2 and flickr app
Latest: 27 minutes ago
Flickr not generating zip file
Latest: 68 minutes ago
Uploads Timing Out Error - Which part is timing out?
Latest: 83 minutes ago
Upload from iOS
Latest: 88 minutes ago
Pictures disappeared and are now white or blank
Latest: 2 hours ago
Replacing images
Latest: 2 hours ago
Why is a photo appearing as a blank?
Latest: 3 hours ago
Picture suddenly broken/not appearing
Latest: 3 hours ago
Zip Downloads - Not Working
Latest: 6 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Partial refunds should be given due to the amount of outages

Bear Dale says:

Partial refunds should be given due to the amount of outages and down time that there has been on Flickr, if not via law, via common decency.

Its currently a substandard service and has been for months.

I know the Flickr fanbois will come in en masse and boo hoo this, but Flickr is a service that we have paid up front for.

What service would you be happy to pay in advance for and receive such a poor service and not expect some type of restitution?
Posted at 3:54PM, 15 April 2019 PDT ( permalink | reply )

view photos

kmacgray says:

Bear Dale:

Why insult other members in your request? Is that really necessary? It reflects very poorly on you.
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

Bear Dale:

What service would you be happy to pay in advance for and receive such a poor service and not expect some type of restitution

I don't think that such "refunds" would promote Flickr's financial health.
we should be glad it even survived.

ED. And yes, why the snide?
Besides it reeks of sexism.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Bear Dale:

You also agreed that Flickr will not be giving you a refund. We all did.

Flickr reserves the right at any time, at its sole discretion and without notice, to suspend, modify, discontinue or permanently cancel the Flickr Pro Services or any portions thereof, including the Subscription Plans and any policies, features and terms applicable thereto. If the Flickr Pro Services, or any part thereof, to which you subscribe are permanently discontinued or canceled by Flickr, your Subscription will terminate, and we will have no further liability to you. You acknowledge that the Flickr Pro Services may be interrupted from time to time, with or without notice, for maintenance, upgrades, system updates or in the event of equipment failure or for any other foreseeable or non-foreseeable cause.

SMUGMUG WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY INTERRUPTION, SUSPENSION, DISCONTINUANCE OR UNAVAILABILITY OF THE FLICKR PRO SERVICES FOR ANY REASON, OR FOR ANY LOSS OR INABILITY TO ACCESS ANY MEDIA OR MATERIALS ON THE SERVICES.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Bear Dale: What will you do with your $1.87 refund? Have any big plans? Supersize your next meal maybe? Splurge on the air freshener at the car wash?

Boi it sure is exciting to think about all the possibilities!

view photos

Bear Dale says:

Its been months and months of poor substandard service.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Bear Dale: Have you renewed your subscription recently? Because if you haven't that's a bummer, because even six months of "poor substandard service" would only get you $12.50 (ooh a matinee of Captain Marvel maybe!)

And if you have renewed since then, and are on the new $50 plan, I guess the question is... why? If you've been enduring "months and months" of this substandard service, why would you re-up? You kind of paid for this substandard service knowingly and willingly then, didn't you?

view photos

Bear Dale says:

It would take a very special kind of half glass full personality to honestly say with hand on heart that Flickr has been par excellence.

They haven't been and customers have a right to say so.

view photos

mcnod says:

Bear Dale:

Flickr fanbois

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157669238768038/#reply7...

A quote from Bear Dale in another thread,

"I don't get all the Flickr negativity, its still the absolute best photo sharing platform on the internet by far.

And I'm just super positive that the folks at Smugmug are going to do nothing but bring more positiveness and improvements for us.

view photos

Germán Vogel says:

You can... predict the future :o

view photos

kmacgray says:

Bear Dale:

It would take a very special kind of half glass full personality

I take it your opinion has changed since you stated this then?

"The whole interview and the answers that Don gave where great ...
... it does feel exciting doesn't it!"

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157669238768038/

view photos

Bear Dale:

Seeing you yourself proved to be a super "fanboi" of Flickr, perhaps you should now "boo-hoo" yourself, no? ;-))
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 6 days ago.

view photos

kiwirat says:

LOL, this is why I jump into the HF, for threads like this......

view photos

Bear Dale says:

kmacgray:

I take it your opinion has changed since you stated this then?

Ya think

view photos

East Texan the original says:

Speaking of folks who went out of their way being a fanboi and berating the free folk...anyone see BD's buddy TH lately?

view photos

Skyline:) says:

I agree it hasn't been good but do you really think for one minute they would give you a refund?

view photos

Rex Block says:

Bear Dale:

Yeah. That's not gonna happen.

view photos

Rex Block says:

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito:

At least the OP did not call them "influencers."

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Bear Dale:

Flickr fanbois

boo hoo

view photos

mcnod:

A quote from Bear Dale in another thread,

But but but...HE HAS SEEN THE LIGHT! HE HAS BEEN DELIVERED FROM EVIL..He fell under the spell of a wannbe journalist bloggist type who mesmerized him into berating free folk ,some easily led minds do work that way.Have you no mercy or grace ?(TIC)

In fairness Flickr laid out a schedule and I figured a contingency + and so we most likely are Oct.Nov.before the all the bugs from the switchover are dealt with..Flickr does deserve a chance and as for refunds ...not likely.

view photos

simonov says:

Bear Dale:

It would take a very special kind of half glass full personality to honestly say with hand on heart that Flickr has been par excellence.

I guess I'm that special guy.

Flickr is going through some huge changes, very positive moves after a half a decade of what I consider mismanagement and poor decisions. Software is involved, and from my 15 years in high tech I understand there's nothing really predictable about migrating legacy systems. I can live with some period of dodgy service while the SmugMug people work to put Flickr on a better permanent footing.

It's easier for me, I admit, because for some reason I am not having a lot of these problems that seem to be bothering so many others. Oh, sometimes Flickr doesn't load for me, and the other night my Android app wouldn't work at all; but apparently I am either better able to tolerate a little downtime than others, for for some reason it's just worse for them than it has been for me.

I don't think it's fair for folks to mock you for a positive attitude in the past that has since gone sour. Everyone has their breaking point. Since you bring it up (with the glass half full comment), I am nowhere near my personal breaking point yet.

I do agree that demanding a refund is a bit silly, and I also enjoyed The Searcher's mild snark.

view photos

simonov:

I don't think it's fair for folks to mock you for a positive attitude in the past that has since gone sour. Everyone has their breaking point. Since you bring it up (with the glass half full comment), I am nowhere near my personal breaking point yet.

I think he is being criticized for berating free folk more than being unwisely positive and drinking the koil aid.Most folks anticipated problems and understood why flick was changing but sympathized with folks who could not afford Pro.Others did not need pro and took a "wait and see" stance.

view photos

Pictures from the Ghost Garden says:

Refunds might be unlikely but extending all subscription renewals by, for example, three months, might help to restore a lot of goodwill.

view photos

Rex Block says:

Pictures from the Ghost Garden:

Refunds might be unlikely but extending all subscrip

I'm still wondering if there will be one price for Smug+Flickr membership. That probably has a mid-2020 rollout.

view photos

mag3737 says:

East Texan the original:

Speaking of folks who went out of their way being a fanboi and berating the free folk

Up to the point you made this comment there was only one person being "berated" in this thread, and he is (at the time this thread is occurring at least) a Pro member.

view photos

mag3737:

Your point.?..my comment was on BD's and TH's comments in previous threads that had been referenced here.keep up...
East Texan the original edited this topic 6 days ago.

view photos

Bear Dale says:

What would the help forum be without all the usual snark replies.

Hopefully one day Flickr sees the light and cleans the HF up.
Posted 5 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

kmacgray says:

Bear Dale:

An endless stream of negativity and angst.

Oh, wait ...

view photos

The Searcher says:

Bear Dale: Your first post set the snarky tone, so careful what you wish for.

view photos

Bear Dale:

What? :

Bear Dale:
I know the Flickr fanbois will come in en masse and boo hoo this

Couldn't be *you*, no?

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

It's been good to get away from flickr most of the time now and do more worth while things since I've been locked at 1000 photos. Each time i have logged in though its bin a very bumpy ride. If i were ever to pay for pro it will be only when flickr has fully updated the site and its stable most of the time, and seeing a return to when members were active here in good numbers. I'm not seeing any of that at present.

view photos

Bear Dale says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

Each time i have logged in though its bin a very bumpy ride.

Yes there's some major problems here that they are charging full freight for.
Just out of customer respect they should compensate all paying customers for the shoddy service that we have received now for months. Flickr shouldn't be forcing people to change from free to a paid service if the service that they are providing is second rate and not what they themselves are even happy with.

Loyalty and respect is a two way street.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Bear Dale:

Flickr shouldn't be forcing people to change from free to a paid service...

But they aren't.
They're not forcing anyone to do anything.
We are all free to pay nothing for our accounts (with certain limits on what we can do), to pay for our accounts (with some additional things that we can do), or to leave.
Nobody is being forced to do anything.

view photos

Bear Dale:

Loyalty and respect is a two way street.

Indeed, so before you accuse others of snarking, give the guy in the mirror a good look...

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel:

. If i were ever to pay for pro it will be only when flickr has fully updated the site and its stable most of the time, and seeing a return to when members were active here in good numbers.

I wait to see what happens also ,but I was under 700 images at the time of the change and was not effected.That does not mean that I lack empathy/sympathy for those who cut back to under a 1000...A relative self deleted a few years back as he had enough of YAYHOO Flickr..It was difficult for him.He made no annoucement here just hit the delete button ...He does sneek a peek at the forum periodically ..He gets a smile on his face when one of the MCs complain about the new leeway in the forum.Says something like "karma for 2013" and walks away.

Folks who did not cut back have showed compassion for those that did and were made targets by BD and TH along with those who did cut back.In the spirit of community others who pushed for alternative stop gap measures were also made targets for various reasons ...As to activity returning to Flickr I doubt that it will return to past levels but as long as a sense of community exists growth is possible..

view photos

Bingee says:

Where is the love ?
Let's look to the future , Flickr could have just been dumped
The powers to be , walked into a real mess to salvage this program
From destruction

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

East Texan the original:

As to activity returning to Flickr I doubt that it will return to past levels but as long as a sense of community exists growth is possible

The flickr community in my local area is very fin on the ground. I can't see it coming back unless people giveup facebook or Instagram. And on a side note netficks is an ongoing growing trend. People im sure will be sidetracked spending time with that.. Ive just looked at the trend sites. Though flickr was on the rise a few mouths back its now on a continuing nose dive.

view photos

mag3737 says:

East Texan the original:

He gets a smile on his face when one of the MCs complain about the new leeway in the forum

"MCs"?

view photos

East Texan the original:

BD and TH

"BD" and "TH" ?

(Now that we're on the chapter of mysterious abbreviations....)

view photos

Bear and Thomas

view photos

mag3737:

2 of the folks who gave people who gave folks so much problems for criticizing the 2013 changes. You have yet to answer my question as to your point in a previous question.WHY?

view photos

mag3737 says:

East Texan the original:

You effectively added me to the list of people you were insulting. I did not anticipate any productive result from replying further.

view photos

mag3737:

Not intended...but you make snarks at me.You once indicated that my position on a Pro gift thread was a loser .But the little box still waves..I never took offense but rather kept on attempting to do the work before me ..Picking up offense on the net is non productive as a genuine resolution can never be reached...

"Speaking of folks who went out of their way being a fanboi and berating the free folk...anyone see BD's buddy TH lately? "

How does that relate to you.?

view photos

guidowerner says:

Seeing you yourself proved to be a super "fanboi" of Flickr, perhaps you should now "boo-hoo" yourself, no? ;-))

I have sympathy for people who are willing to learn and change their opinion for good reasons in contrast to people who are always sticking to their opinion regardless what happens.

By the way: I don't think that paying single digit refunds would be a good idea. But what about giving all pro members one additional month for free as a gesture of good will? I am quite sure that that wouldn't kill Smugmug financially. But what do I know?

view photos

jschumacher says:

guidowerner:

I agree. Giving Pro members one month free is much more likely than a refund. Their accounting system may not be set up to give refunds. SmugMug would also take a substantial one-time financial hit sending $4.17 to every Pro member. A one-month extension as a thank you once the transition is complete and the major bugs are squashed only affects future income for SmugMug.
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

mag3737 says:

East Texan the original:

As I've suggested once already, I don't think there's anything productive to be gained by continuing our exchange here.

view photos

HaarFager (Pro) says:

mag3737:

East Texan the original:

He gets a smile on his face when one of the MCs complain about the new leeway in the forum

mag3737:
"MCs"?

I think he means the self-appointed Masters of Ceremonies.

view photos

HaarFager (Pro) says:

East Texan the original:

folks who gave people who gave folks so much problems for criticizing the 2013 changes.

I was another one of the users who criticized the sweeping changes in May 2013 and was derided furiously because I was "against change" and progress. Well, now that we ALL know those changes killed Flickr and caused two companies to have to unload Flickr to get out from under it, I guess we have officially been vindicated.

This doesn't require a response because we all know this to be true.

view photos

mag3737 says:

East Texan the original:

but you make snarks at me.You once indicated that my position on a Pro gift thread was a loser .But the little box still waves..I never took offense but rather kept on attempting to do the work before me ..

I said I did not want to continue our discussion, but this comment from you was still bothering me.

I suppose you are referring to this thread.
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702371762031/

I can't find anything snarky that I said to you. I'm curious which comment(s) you are referring to.

I guess I also do not understand your comment that I "once indicated [your] position ... was a loser". In fact, in that thread I seem to have agreed with your opinion that the pro-gift-box should be hideable.

Are you confusing me with someone else?

view photos

mag3737:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702371762031/page4/

YOU missed the earlier thread.
About 3 comments down....A battle to a draw but the victory was in saving some great images.

Again how do yiu feel insulted?
East Texan the original edited this topic 4 days ago.

view photos

HaarFager (Pro):

I criticized the same 2013 changes as did many of my friends.but some who have berated free folk in the 1000 cut thread praised the very changes that led to the cuts.Those folks at best have at best a record of poor judgement and lack of foresight.

view photos

guidowerner:

I have sympathy for people who are willing to learn and change their opinion for good reasons in contrast to people who are always sticking to their opinion regardless what happens.

But you have no proof that the OP
has changed nor does anyone have proof one way or the other.We have proof that he has berated free folk.We have his own words that he was not in great condition on a Sunday from the activities from the night before(in reference to a beer drinking remark).When that thread was timed stamped it indicated he could have been in his cups and on Flickr berating folks during a period of inebriation.

As to "change" no one has proof one way or the other but as to behavior we have a history in his own words..Bottom of the page:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702923034264/page17/

view photos

jschumacher says:

East Texan the original:

Just a suggestion. This is a discussion forum not a trial. The OP merely changed their opinion and contradicted an earlier statement they had made. They didn't do anything wrong, let alone commit a crime, so maybe ease up on the prosecutorial zeal and the digging up of ages-old statements and move on with your life on Flickr.

view photos

jschumacher:

Why ?Your suggestion carries no gravity.The OP made many statements to deride free folk .You too have no proof of actual change.His own words defy your stance and furthermore the lack of a contrition statement on the OP's part would indicate he has not changed.He just expects folks that he derided to accept his words as truth..or he is just trolling..You insist on opinion which is not fact based ,I see history and the actions he brings here as well as no statement that would indicate a change .Keep your suggestion.. I am not buying what you or the OP are selling. Thanks anyway.

view photos

mag3737 says:

East Texan the original:

Again how do yiu feel insulted?

"Keep up". Patronizing is insulting.

view photos

mag3737:

So was your statement to me in the thread I cited but I chose to not pick it up.Insult on my part was not intended just that when you quote partially as you did with a statement of mine there was some confusion that needed direction.Your statement to me in the thread I cited was a pop out of nowhere snark..

We can continue this via email or agree to never address one another again..To be so irrationally insulted in a entertainment venue is a bit out there but folks are different. At your pleasure.

view photos

The Searcher says:

I wish this thread could get back on track to seeing what everyone will spend their $7.45 refunds on.

I was thinking of going full Venti with my mocha tomorrow, just cast all caution to the wind.

view photos

mag3737 says:

East Texan the original:

Your statement to me in the thread I cited was a pop out of nowhere snark..

Ok, I can see that it meets the dictionary definition of snark (because I just looked it up in the dictionary). It was a "sharply critical" remark, and I intended it that way. I had thought of "snark" as referring more specifically to snideness/sarcasm, and I still think my comment was not that.

To be clear, I am now referring to this comment of mine:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702371762031/7215770...

I stand by the sentiment I expressed in that comment (that you should not have been pressing the point you were pressing), but I will not respond to any further discussion of the topic that was being discussed at that time.

view photos

Bear Dale says:

jschumacher:

I agree. Giving Pro members one month free is much more likely than a refund. Their accounting system may not be set up to give refunds. SmugMug would also take a substantial one-time financial hit sending $4.17 to every Pro member. A one-month extension as a thank you once the transition is complete and the major bugs are squashed only affects future income for SmugMu

That is a well thought out post and it would enable Flickr to acknowledge paying customers that it's been a rocky road but it's over now and here's a thank you for your support.

view photos

mag3737:

but I will not respond to any further discussion of the topic that was being discussed at that time.

mag3737:
I said I did not want to continue our discussion, but this comment from you was still bothering me.

mag3737:
I did not anticipate any productive result from replying further.

Hope you mean it this time.. see above.Stand by anything you desire.I have long suspected that your past statements on other threads indicate a underlying double meaning or scofflike position but never considered it a genuine insult but rather statements of opinion not based in fact.An individual who takes a genuine position on a issue usually comes to that opinion by fact not "sentiment" only .You failed to perform due diligence and jumped into the fray and got busted ..Just about everyone in the Forum has done that (myself included)..It is not terminal it just proves we are human.
East Texan the original edited this topic 3 days ago.

view photos

guidowerner:

"Changing your opinions' has nothing to do with actually insulting people. "Willing to learn" can be done in a polite way.
If you do not see that then I cannot help you further.

(Then I have my own idea about the true reason for your comment which might have less to do with OP than you would care to pretend... )

Good luck with your "sympathy" and, obviously, the kind of sympathy for dressing up changes of opinion in snarks and insults.

I am moving on, carry on if you feel like it, perhaps not surprising, and have a nice day.
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 4 days ago.

view photos

simonov says:

The Searcher:

I wish this thread could get back on track to seeing what everyone will spend their $7.45 refunds on.

I wish the Help Forum had an Ignore feature.

view photos

HaarFager (Pro) says:

East Texan the original:

lack of foresight.

I agree with you.

view photos

HaarFager (Pro) says:

simonov:

I wish the Help Forum had an Ignore feature.

Yeah.

view photos

iansand says:

mag3737:

Ok, I can see that it meets the dictionary definition of snark (because I just looked it up in the dictionary). It was a "sharply critical" remark, and I intended it that way. I had thought of "snark" as referring more specifically to snideness/sarcasm, and I still think my comment was not that.

This is wrong. A snark is a boojum, as any fule kno.
Posted 3 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads