Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] (Updated 2019.03.20) Temporary Video Downtime
Latest: 6 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 31 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Update on Creative Commons licenses and “In Memoriam” accounts
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Official Thread] Timeline extension for free Flickr accounts over 1,000 photos + videos
Latest: 11 hours ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 36 hours ago
[Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans
Latest: 2 days ago
[Official Thread] Updates on speed & stability so far
Latest: 2 days ago

Current Discussion

How to change the date i've joined on Flickr?
Latest: 5 seconds ago
How many photos do I really have here?
Latest: 41 minutes ago
y
Latest: 2 hours ago
Rescuing pictures
Latest: 4 hours ago
[ FLICKR STAFF PLEASE HELP! ] A Photo sharing web site have my works for free download which I never gave permission
Latest: 5 hours ago
Flickr Uploader
Latest: 6 hours ago
Buddy Icon How to find or create
Latest: 7 hours ago
How long does requested Staff review take?
Latest: 9 hours ago
Password
Latest: 9 hours ago
Flickr discussion groups not working
uploaded a video but it is appearing as just a picture
Very slow!?
Latest: 12 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here

Flickr Staff

helencho1 says:

From the day we announced Flickr was joining SmugMug, the single most requested feature by our community has been overwhelming and consistent: a new login. After months of careful development and testing, our new, secure, and simple login is ready and we’ve begun rolling it out to members today.

Due to the massive number of Flickr members, this process will take a little time, but over the next few weeks, we’ll introduce more and more of you to our new login.

What to expect:
The first page of the login experience has already been updated with a new look, but you will continue to log in to your Flickr account with your Yahoo credentials as you always have until the rollout reaches you. Once the update is available to you, you’ll see a grey banner at the bottom of your screen inviting you to update your account. Click it and you’ll be led through a simple process that will allow you to select your new login email address and a new password.

Initially, you’ll be required to use either your Yahoo sign-in email address or your primary contact email address. If you like, you can update the primary address by following these instructions. The address you choose will be the only email address used by your Flickr account, for both login and all correspondence. In the near future, you’ll be able to change the address you’ve chosen in your account settings.

If you have questions or need help with the new login process, please post here or visit our help pages.

We hope you love this new, simpler login experience. We’re still hard at work on performance and stability improvements across the site (as discussed here), but we’re delighted to check this key item off our members’ wish lists.
Posted at 9:10AM, 4 March 2019 PDT ( permalink )
helencho1 (staff) edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4
(1 to 100 of 398 replies in [Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here)
view photos

arbarus says:

Is this the reason that there is currently NO login available for my second flickr PRO account? I've attempted to login but just hit a blank screen. Obviously I would contact support but can't log in to do so...
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads says:

arbarus:

Can you please share your OS version and Browser name and version?

(By the way, you don't need to log in to contact support. Please feel free to contact them at help.flickr.com and provide the requested info to help them identify your Pro account. They'll be happy to help.)

view photos

mag3737 says:

Congratulations Flickreenos!
*Holds breath*
*Grabs popcorn*

MARCH FO(U)RTH from Yahoo logins!

view photos

sincere sense says:

So exciting! One question, when will users be able to create a new account that is non-yahoo?

view photos

kmacgray says:

Smoker Smoker:

That question is answered in the initial staff post above.

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads says:

Smoker Smoker:

So exciting! One question, when will users be able to create a new account that is non-yahoo?

I suspect you mean creating a brand new account with no link to Yahoo, and the answer is... soon! I don't have an exact date yet. It's mostly ready, but we've prioritized helping existing accounts move off Yahoo login before we roll out the process to create brand new Flickr accounts via our own sign-up flow. Hopefully, a few weeks or even less, but no promises yet. As soon as we know, we'll communicate it here.

view photos

"Just an ol' nature boy takin' a picture" says:

helencho1:

Thank you for the update.

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

adstads:

Maybe I am dense.

Question: is it possible to use a login email address but a different primary email contact address?

view photos

mcnod says:

sorry, maybe misunderstanding the question.

view photos

naturum says:

Thanks for the update.

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads says:

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito:

Maybe I am dense.

Question: is it possible to use a login email address but a different primary email contact address?

You're not dense; this is a change. But no -- you'll have a single email address for your account, for both login and communication. From Helen's original post:
"The address you choose will be the only email address used by your Flickr account, for both login and all correspondence."

The old way of having multiple email accounts per Flickr account was necessary since Yahoo (for a long time) required members to sign in with a Yahoo email address that they didn't actually check for email. This multi-account setup caused an astonishing amount of confusion and is one of the main reasons so many people have gotten locked out of their accounts (or mistakenly created duplicate and triplicate accounts) in the past. This simplification eliminates that opportunity for error. It's obviously not without tradeoffs, but I think we'll find that reducing these types of issues will makes things better for the vast majority of members.

view photos

spuddie7 says:

If we want to can we still use Yahoo as our primary address?

view photos

kmacgray says:

spuddie7:

Yes.

view photos

adstads:

You're not dense; this is a change. But no -- you'll have a single email address for your account, for both login and communication. From Helen's original post:
"The address you choose will be the only email address used by your Flickr account, for both login and all correspondence."

Ah okay, thank you so much Andrew for emphasizing that bit.

(Turned out I didn't close read Helen's post....)

view photos

dididumm says:

adstads:

Since I do have the same problem: is there anything like minimum requirements to use flickr? If so, what are they (OS/Browser etc.)?

view photos

safoocat says:

I never have to log in, when I open flickr it's right at my photos; maybe that's because I never log out?

view photos

kmacgray says:

safoocat:

Correct.

view photos

dididumm:

If so, what are they (OS/Browser etc.)?

Windows, Mac .

For supported browsers, see this Help Article:

help.flickr.com/en_us/supported-web-browsers-for-flickr-r...

It does not list Opera, but that works from version 15 and higher.

It does not list some other browsers which are also built upon the Chromium open source project, like Vivaldi and Yandex. I use all both (now and then) without issues.

Then there is Epic, which is usable, though the last time I used it, was somewhat quirky.
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

RV John says:

When Logging in from the new page, I still need to do the work-around when trying to login with latest version of Firefox (65). If I put my Email address in and click next it just comes back to the same page.
The work-around is to click the "sign up Here" on the new login and that takes me to the Yahoo sign up and at the bottom of that It has "Already Have an Account" and clicking that take me the Yahoo Sign-in page. I have try with Firefox in the safe mode too, so as to disable all add-ons. I am running Windows 10 Pro.

When using Microsoft Edge I think the new sign-in page is doing what you want, by taking me to the Yahoo sign-in when I put my Email in and click next.
Do I have something wrong, or is this the way it should go for now?

view photos

mcnod says:

RV John:

is this the way it should go for now?

This, until you see the gray banner at the bottom of your screen inviting you to update your account.

view photos

RV John says:

mcnod:

Thanks for the reply, So, when in Firefox it should just loop back to the same page where it ask for the email?

view photos

guidowerner says:

RV John:

Thanks for the reply, So, when in Firefox it should just loop back to the same page where it ask for the email?

No. If You haven't been invited to update Your account it should redirect to the old Yahoo login page. If that doesn't happen for You something might go wrong. For me the redirect to the old yahoo login page works without any problem when using Firefox. But I remember that other users have reported Your problem, too. What operating system are You using?

view photos

RV John says:

guidowerner:

Window 10 Pro. Version 1809.
RV John edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

guidowerner says:

RV John:

Hm, that is odd. I have Windows 10 Home, Version 1803. And I have no problems when using Firefox 65.0.2. You have already tested with all add ons switched off. So add ons shouldn't be the problem. Have You taken a look at the privacy and security settings of Your Firefox browser? Maybe some site element is blocked by Your Firefox browser?

view photos

RV John says:

guidowerner:

Thank you for the reply, yes I did look at the privacy setting and played around in there a bit changing setting but I could not find any that would fix the problem.

view photos

Andy Lea Photography says:

Since Fickr's revamp my wife has been unable to log into her account despite several attempts to contact support she still has not heard anything some help would be appreciated

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

adstads:

you'll have a single email address for your account, for both login and communication. From Helen's original post:

I've only ever had one account here and with Yahoo because of the connection between the two. I'm not planning to close my yahoo email as some will.

My question, will I be able to use the same Yahoo email address that i use on this account on a second Flickr account if i choose to open one? Or will i need to use a different email address than the one I'm using on this account now that I want keep using?

view photos

spuddie7 says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

My question, will I be able to use the same Yahoo email address that i use on this account on a second Flickr account if i choose to open one? Or will i need to use a different email address than the one I'm using on this account now that I want keep using?

No, if you have 2 accounts you'll need 2 different email addresses. I have 2 and use two different browsers. Then I don't have to log-in and or log-out every time I go from one account to the other.

view photos

spuddie7 says:

kmacgray:

Thank you.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

spuddie7:

Is that under the new login away from yahoo? Im not likely to signup for another flickr account through Yahoo.

view photos

simonov says:

I have five Flickr accounts and I just went through and updated the passwords and verified phone numbers and back-up e-mail addresses.

The unique linked (not back-up) e-mail address for four out of the five accounts is of course a Yahoo address (a different one for each account, of course). I never, ever use the Yahoo e-mails for anything except their connection to Flickr. The non-Yahoo back-up e-mail accounts are used to, for example, verify password changes and the like. It actually works pretty well, I've never had to open any of my Yahoo e-mail addresses to use Flickr.

Oddly, one of the accounts has a non-Yahoo linked e-mail address. I don't know how that happened, I thought you had to have a Yahoo address.

I have a vanity domain so I can make up as many unique e-mail addresses as I want. Once this changeover happens I'm going to go back through my Flickr accounts and change the linked e-mail addresses to some new unique vanity addresses, and say good-bye to Yahoo forever (I first used Yahoo when it was still on a stanford.edu server back in 1994).

view photos

ernstkers says:

simonov:

Oddly, one of the accounts has a non-Yahoo linked e-mail address. I don't know how that happened, I thought you had to have a Yahoo address.

Not for the contact email address(es). The Yahoo email address is only required to log in to Yahoo and with that also to Flickr. The (primary) contact email address(es) could always be a non-yahoo one and different from the (yahoo) login email address.

simonov:
Once this changeover happens I'm going to go back through my Flickr accounts and change the linked e-mail addresses to some new unique vanity addresses

You can start with that already. As soon as you can change over, you can choose between your current yahoo login email and your (current) primary contact email.

After the change only one email address will be tied to your flickr account that is both for login and contact. So to accomplish that email address is the one you want to use, then now make already that to the primary email address.

view photos

jane.statham says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

Is that under the new login away from yahoo? Im not likely to signup for another flickr account through Yahoo.

I presume so, as you will still need 2 log-in address via Yahoo or any other email address you choose to use.

view photos

simonov says:

ernstkers:

You can start with that already. As soon as you can change over, you can choose between your current yahoo login email and your (current) primary contact email.

After the change only one email address will be tied to your flickr account that is both for login and contact. So to accomplish that email address is the one you want to use, then now make already that to the primary email address.

I'm a little skeered to do that before the changeover, but . . . YOLO! Imma gonna do it today!

view photos

k_mob says:

I'm getting ready for the move off Yahoo for authentication, so as instructed i've tried to go and update my primary email. But when I do so, I get the following error:

The email address you entered is already associated with an account.

I own and control both the current primary email and the new one I'm trying to add, so I'm a bit surprised by this.

It appears there's no way of figuring out WHICH account the new primary I'm trying to add is associated to, as I can't log in using it either.

Anyone hit this problem? know how to resolve it? Can't seem to find a way to log a ticket, despite being a pro user.

view photos

k_mob:

You are being responded to here:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157703855319802/

(Please provide further follow up there to avoid confusion.)

view photos

mag3737 says:

simonov:

It all worked fine for me with two accounts. I already had (unique) contact emails assigned to them on my own domain -- same as your situation will be.

view photos

RV John says:

Update; to the above post about Firefox not going from new login page to the Flickr login page. I had to uninstall Firefox and my Firefox profile than reinstall Firefox, all is working as it should now.
So bean me up Sumgmug(give me the "grey banner"), get me out of here!!
Thank you to those who responded to the above post.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Viejito says:

RV John:

I had to uninstall Firefox and my Firefox profile, then reinstall Firefox, all is working as it should now.

May I assume that this is because your old profile had some higher privacy settings? I use Win10v1809 and Firefox 65.0.2 as well, and have the same problem you used to have. I always assumed, but got no denial or confirmation from staff, that this problem was caused by not allowing flash or javascript or not giving the green light to some of the many outside websites that take a look at us while we are on Flickr. Apart from Flickr and Yahoo, I see Adobe, Facebook, Google-Analytics, SiftScience, etc. all getting involved when I am on Flickr!

view photos

Rabican-BUSY says:

How about authentication using OTP? i never use a Yahoo password, i get an OTP on my phone to login and that's how I control where and when my yahoo account is logged in.

Now that the Flickr and Yahoo are no longer the same, i will have to create a regular Flickr/SmugMug password associated with my Yahoo email (assuming that I will still want to use the same email for my Flickr/SmugMug account)?

view photos

This Lighthouse Says says:

helencho1:

It’s not off the checklist until it rolls out to all of us. One in, all in...

view photos

mag3737 says:

Rabican-BUSY:

Now that the Flickr and Yahoo are no longer the same, i will have to create a regular Flickr/SmugMug password associated with my Yahoo email (assuming that I will still want to use the same email for my Flickr/SmugMug account)?

Yes, that's correct. That password will be specific to logging in to Flickr. It will have no connection to Yahoo (or to anything else for which you use your Yahoo address as a login).

I don't use OTP authentication so I can't help you with that part of your question.

view photos

RV John says:

Viejito:

I tried starting Firefox in Safe mode (which disables all add-ons ) and that did not help

Not sure but ... I do a bit of messing in Firefox's "About:Config" for privacy and I am thinking maybe it had something to do with that. .
The uninstall and reinstall was a last move for me, but it did work.

view photos

bulldog1 says:

I received an email from flickr and had a video and said something about when ready be in Browser? The video was small.....
I want to keep yahoo address but am not understanding when time comes how to go about it and scared to have loss of my site.
Is there a future notice to come and hopefully will be in my regular email and nothing one has to search out. Confused

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads says:

RV John:

Thanks for all the troubleshooting you've done, and for sharing the details. I'm glad you've got your browser working properly now, as it's a current version and should be working fine with the page.

Do you run Avast antivirus? We've found a handful of members who were being blocked by that, and disabling it (or whitelisting flickr.com immediately made everything work properly).

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads says:

bulldog1:

Please don't worry -- it will be easy and straightforward.

We're gradually inviting members to update their logins. When it's your turn, you'll see a grey banner on the site inviting you to upgrade your login. Click it and you'll be asked to select the email address you want to use to log in to Flickr from now on, and to set a secure password. That's it. Nothing to worry about. And until you see the grey banner, there's nothing to do but take photos!

view photos

HBarrison says:

helencho1:

Once the update is available to you, you’ll see a grey banner at the bottom of your screen inviting you to update your account.

Is it the same for those that never need to log in because they always logged in?. . .and on every page when scrolling on a desktop computer?!

view photos

LuckyToby says:

helencho1:

Will the grey banner appear on mobile app?

view photos

bulldog1 says:

www.flickr.com/photos/adstads/
Thank you . When you say a gray banner comes to my site it will have all the instructions....
One question....once selecting my email address ( have a password to that on my email ) do I just keep that password or is flickr requiring their own password or just use my email and password presently have?
Want to be fully prepared and not make a mistake.
Love flickr!

view photos

jschumacher says:

bulldog1:

It's never a good idea to use the same password on different systems. When you log in to Flickr you are not logging in to your email. Your email address is simply what is being used to identify you. Choose a separate password for Flickr that you only use for logging in to Flickr.

view photos

ernstkers says:

bulldog1:

Want to be fully prepared and not make a mistake.

This is how it works:
Step 1: a screen with the choice between your current Yahoo login email and your primary contact email. Select the one you want and the Save button will turn blue. Click this.
Step 2: a screen to type your new password. The password requires at least 8 characters of which at least one is upper case, one is lower case, one is a number and one is a special character. Below the field are the five requirements. They will give a blue indication for each one that's ok. If you are ok and all five requirements too, then click the blue button.
Step 3: this is a message that the login is changed and you only have to click the blue button that you got it. You will still be logged in and can continue with whatever you want to do on Flickr. There is no need to login again.

view photos

arbarus says:

adstads:

I have emailed support but have not received a reply.

I'm using firefox 48, Chrome 49, safari 6 plus others on a laptop but cannot actually load a login page. I can view my account from 'outside' so assume it is still extant (and I have just been billed $99 for it)

All the standard links in the automated 'support' reply email just hit blank pages or a ssl encryption error.

Any ideas? I'd assumed it was a temporary glitch but now seems to be ongoing...

view photos

simonov says:

Okay, I did it. Turns out I have seven accounts, one of which I completely forgot about (and is empty). I'll probably delete a few of these accounts later, but for now I created a number of new unique e-mail addresses and set them up as my primary e-mails for each of the seven accounts.

It's slightly disconcerting that after you do this your original Yahoo e-mail address is still shown as your "login e-mail" on the account settings Personal Information tab, even though you have deleted from your listed e-mails in the Emails & Notifications tab. I'll just hope and trust that will go away once the transition occurs.

So far every thing seems to work well. I created new passwords for each Flickr/Yahoo account and I can get into and out of the accounts at will.

view photos

kmacgray says:

arbarus:

All three of the web browsers you mention are very old. I would recommend upgrading them if you can.

view photos

arbarus says:

kmacgray:

Hi kmacgray.
As with all things it's a matter of finance and what works. I need to stick to the OS I'm currently using for quite a number of apps that won't run on newer systems. All the browsers I'm using worked with Flickr until last week so I assume there is an issue with the new setup.
I'm currently logged in of Firefox with my this account (it is an alternate account I can't access) but it seems there to be issues with accessing the HELP links etc.

view photos

jschumacher says:

arbarus:

It is very confusing for you to continue a discussion here that you started in your very own topic, www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157679193227708/.

But, yes, you're using very old versions of those browsers. As time goes by you will find those browsers will become less and less compatible with more and more websites as those websites get updated to conform to contemporary web standards.

view photos

ernstkers says:

simonov:

for now I created a number of new unique e-mail addresses and set them up as my primary e-mails for each of the seven accounts.

So you are prepared for the migration, but you can only migrate if you get the grey bar that invites you to do it.

simonov:
It's slightly disconcerting that after you do this your original Yahoo e-mail address is still shown as your "login e-mail"

With the Yahoo authentication for you still in place, that's how it should be. Read two posts above yours where I told how the migration works if you are invited to do it. If that's done you will find only one email address that's both to log in and contact.

view photos

simonov says:

Well, in that case I better record those yahoo.com addresses, in case they ask for them for each account (I know the Flickr login asks for an e-mail address, but for all my accounts I use an account name to login).

view photos

RV John says:

adstads:

Do you run Avast antivirus?

Thanks. "Do you run Avast antivirus?" No.
I am near sure it was my goofing around in the "about config" setting that broke Firefox. I wish I could remember what it was I was messing with in "About Config" but I can not remember. I like to play around with settings so if I manage to break it again in the future, I will let you know how I did it!
Looking forward to the new Login.

view photos

RV John says:

adstads:

Update: I found the particular setting in Firefox's "About:Config" that caused the new login page to loop back to itself.
I had changed the "network.http.sendRefererHeader" setting from "2" to "0" and that broke the login page.
Hope this help you trouble shoot problems of other dummies who like to play to much like me!

view photos

Viejito says:

RV John:

changed the "network.http.sendRefererHeader" setting from "2" to "0"

Full of hope, I changed mine from 0 to 2, cleared cache, restarted Firefox, but both my login with and without @yahoo.com still return me right back to login.

Edit: For good measure, I also told Avast that flickr is safe and disabled NoScript, all to no avail.
Viejito edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

rmassart says:

simonov:

Once this changeover happens I'm going to go back through my Flickr accounts and change the linked e-mail addresses to some new unique vanity addresses, and say good-bye to Yahoo forever (I first used Yahoo when it was still on a stanford.edu server back in 1994).

I've been using Yahoo since 1997 and like you the only reason I haven't ditched my Yahoo email is because I used it for Flickr. I still use my Yahoo email account for emails, because I couldn't be bothered to switch somewhere else if I still needed it for Flickr. Once I've switched to another account on Flickr I can finally close my Yahoo account... I'm glad I am not the only one thinking like this!

It's not that I don't like Yahoo in fact, but as web services company they have completely lost their way in the last 10 years and I am concerned Yahoo email may disappear one day as well...

view photos

RV John says:

Viejito:

I do use the full yahoo.com address. Have you tried to uninstall Firefox and profile and than reinstall?
I run Noscript too but I only enable the "Flickr.com and ying.com" and all goes well, after the Firefox reinstall.

view photos

Viejito says:

RV John:

Have you tried to uninstall Firefox and profile and than reinstall?

No, as long as I can still log in to Flickr via Yahoo, I am not going to undo all security or privacy settings I have set and forgotten about. I hope that by the time I am forced to log in the new way, Flickr will have modified their login to the point that it will be compatible with my Firefox settings, or they will have some solutions that I can apply.

view photos

D. S. Hałas says:

I'm one of those Luddites who haven't updated their OS in years (I'm on a Mac, still running OS X 10.6.8) which means every web browser available to me is several years out of date now. Yes, I realize I should update, but I'd rather not unless I absolutely have to, given that several programs I still need won't run on newer versions of the OS. Flickr has, until now, worked for me without any problems whatsoever in Firefox 48, the most recent update that I can install on this OS. However, the new login page is blank for me, in Firefox 48, in Chrome 49, and every other browser I try. The only reason I'm able to leave a comment here is because I don't log out of Flickr in Firefox. Surely you can modify the new login page so that it will work on older browsers as well? I'm having a really hard time believing that the new login system is the most sophisticated, cutting-edge aspect of the whole website.

view photos

kmacgray says:

D. S. Hałas:

Surely you can modify the new login page so that it will work on older browsers as well?

Staff have stated elsewhere they aren't going to do that.

I'm sort of in the same boat, but not quite as old as you. I'm running OSX 10.9.5, which is way out of date at this point, but I have my reasons, including running older software like yourself. Fortunately, the latest version of Firefox, 65.0.2, still supports OSX 10.9. But that won't be the case forever.

Eventually I'm going to have to upgrade the OS, as will you.

view photos

RV John says:

Viejito:

Here is a link with some of Firefox's privacy and security settings you can play with if you like. After I get the new login, I will try these setting again.

rationallyparanoid.com/articles/firefox-about-config-secu...

view photos

ernstkers says:

D. S. Hałas:

given that several programs I still need won't run on newer versions of the OS.

So that software isn't supported by its makers anymore. Otherwise they would have updated it to work on newer OS versions.

D. S. Hałas:
Surely you can modify the new login page so that it will work on older browsers as well? I'm having a really hard time believing that the new login system is the most sophisticated, cutting-edge aspect of the whole website.

One reason that software is updated is security. Outdated versions of browsers don't meet the current security requirements. If it's about login to a website, then there is one major thing written in bold capitals: SECURITY.

view photos

tommi.lalu says:

D. S. Hałas:

I am having same issue with my Mac Pro. Works well no mather if I sign in to gmail or other services, has 10.6. system running.
Now unabale to sign in to flickr. Don´t believe they can´t fix the sign in for older systems.

view photos

kmacgray says:

tommi.lalu:

It's not that they can't fix, it's that it doesn't make sense to fix it.

view photos

tommi.lalu says:

kmacgray:

Many services works fine with older browsers and systems what comes to security (ok, not explorer 5). I would call that customer service.

view photos

Viejito says:

RV John:

some of Firefox's privacy and security settings

Thanks. It would be nice if Flickr could tell us which of those settings not to use, and whether we need to allow Adobe, Facebook, Yahoo, Google-Analytics, SiftScience, etc., etc., allow cookies from unvisited sites or trackers, not send Do-Not-Track, not use private browsing mode nor block pop-up windows, etc., etc., so we would not have to leave ourselves wide-open in order to be able to use Flickr.

view photos

Rick Berg says:

Viejito:

My privacy tracker has been blocking adobedtm, scorecardresearch, and siftscience for quite awhile on Flickr, and I haven't had any issues. Your mileage may vary (I'm on Chrome).

edit: spelling

view photos

tt.pix says:

Most recent version of Firefox, 65.0.2, using NoScript and uBLock does not allow login to flickr.

Only login with Firefox without protection, e.g. without NoScript, without uBlock works.

On uBlock, NoScript enabled, attempt to login with current flickr/yahoo - account, got redirected to a site "grass could be greener on this side" asking to use recent version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

On clicking "No thanks, take me to the site anyway" I am ending at the original login site which -surprise- gets me again to this site.

If I may ask - this is not some sort of reenactment of the UK House of Commons attempts to decide about the Brexit?

There is a hidden URL identity.flickr.com. Even adding this to NoScript as trusted site does not help. Probably some hidden sites do not appear in NoScript and are blocked by default.

@Viejito @RV John:
I had all the privacy guzzlers (e.g. Facebook, Scorecardresearch, Google Analytics, Siftscience etc.) blocked for a long time, it worked fine until some 12 hrs ago.

edit: Using SRWare Iron works. Used this for posting here.

view photos

Aamir Bilal says:

Why I haven't received it so far? Am I missing something?

view photos

kmacgray says:

Aamir Bilal:

You haven't received it yet because it takes a while to roll it out to hundreds of millions of members.

view photos

kmacgray:

hundreds of millions of members.

That many?

In 2014 Flickr had some 92 million users.

view photos

kmacgray says:

That's the number I have in my head, but I'm old and forget things a lot. 😂

view photos

guidowerner says:

tt.pix:

There is a hidden URL identity.flickr.com. Even adding this to NoScript as trusted site does not help. Probably some hidden sites do not appear in NoScript and are blocked by default.

It seems that the redirect from identity.flickr.com to login.yahoo.com doesn't work for You. Probably it won't help but have You tried adding login.yahoo.com as trusted site?

view photos

kmacgray:

Fair enough

view photos

pweeeeeer says:

Hello,I cant get my real self back on Flickr. Happens every time I get a new computer.It puts me on another name I had but dont want. I wish this one would be gone You newest owners actually did it a few months ago then my computer crashed. Got a new computer and when I log on Im dumb old BOB SMITH again. Just want old name. What to do? Oh,and my Flickr acct I want back is -https://wwwflickr.com/photos/12186907@N06/favorites/.
pweeeeeer edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

guidowerner says:

In 2014 Flickr had some 92 million users.

Don MacAskill recently has talked about "more than a hundred million" users:

twitter.com/DonMacAskill/status/1102625745929625600
guidowerner edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

Viejito says:

guidowerner:

have You tried adding login.yahoo.com as trusted site?

I did, a couple of days ago, to no avail.

view photos

Louis Ramirez Photography says:

can't get my flickr page working ! I can upload but no luck enlarging photos ! no way to join groups no sign in or sign out!
HELP!

view photos

tt.pix says:

guidowerner:

thanks for the suggestion. Tried that, however to no avail. OTOH without adding explicitly login.yahoo.com the login to yahoo worked before.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

guidowerner:

Don MacAskill recently has talked about "more than a hundred million" users

I'm not sure if that is users, or registered accounts. Many users have two, three, or five registered accounts. Then there are likely millions of orphaned accounts. And millions of inactive accounts. I would take that number with pinch of salt.

If Don were to talk about the numbers of active accounts and individual users, now that would be interesting.
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

~andre says:

tt.pix:

Modern sites, especially large ones, are far too complex to configure for script blocking by a 3rd-party plug-in. Just look at this domain name soup that the browser reports warnings for while loading the photo stream page, because Flickr misuses Content Security Policy guidelines.

s.yimg.com
cdn.yahooapis.com
yui-s.yahooapis.com
de.adserver.yahoo.com
radar.cedexis.com
*.braintreegateway.com
*.sandbox.paypal.com
*.paypal.com
*.paypalobjects.com
*.google-analytics.com
*.facebook.com
*.facebook.net
*.atdmt.com
tagmanager.google.com
www.googletagmanager.com
assets.adobedtm.com
*.2o7.net
api.digitalriver.com
cdn.siftscience.com
*.flickrpro.com

There is likely more in what is not being reported. Figuring out which one those script sources should be white-listed and which ones should be blocked will be quite a challenge.

view photos

bulldog1 says:

Firefox does not work as a server for me.....I see many use it. I use Microsoft and hopefully that will work.
Hope it does.

view photos

Pacdog says:

I'm a Yahoo and have been sense 1994. That said I have been hopeful Flickr would move off Yahoo servers for many years as they are just slow. AWS servers are much faster and more stable, but I have no reason to change my email account associated with my Flickr account for now.

view photos

~andre says:

bulldog1:

Firefox does not work as a server for me.....I see many use it. I use Microsoft and hopefully that will work.
Not sure what you mean by "server", but assuming you mean as something that "serves" your pages from various websites, FireFox is a very common browser and it certainly works with Flickr in its common configuration. If you have any problems, it's likely that they are caused by add-ons you may have installed or your anti-virus software.

Chrome is about 60% of the desktop market share, Firefox is about 10%. Microsoft is still holding 10-15% across all of their browsers, but they abandoned Internet Explorer in favor of Edge and they recently abandoned Edge's internal engine in favor of the one used in Chrome, so it's just a matter of time until Microsoft-designed browsers disappear from the marker and they will just run a rebranded Chrome going forward.

view photos

~andre says:

Pacdog:

I have no reason to change my email account associated with my Flickr account for now
Flickr said a bunch of time that you will be able to use any email address, so your Yahoo account should work just fine.

view photos

♞Jenny♞ says:

for the past few weeks or so, Flickr keeps logging me out of my account if I haven't looked at flickr for a bit of time, say 15 minutes. Only happens on my phone. Anyone else have this problem I've looked in setting for both flickr and my phone and find nothing to which i can set to stop it from doing this. Help?

view photos

bulldog1 says:

www.flickr.com/photos/37984442@N02/
Andre
It is browser Microsoft Edge .cam acessflickr and my site. Firefox does not work at all. Is it the Browser how we will find our flickr after they leave yahoo....have yahoo email.
Hope you take a long time to change my site until nephew travels this way and he is computer smart. Have a very good anti virus program which is needed in these times. Wish I could just always use my email and that password to get on flickr….
trying to understand these changes coming up.
bulldog1 edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

tt.pix says:

~andre:

Hi andre

to some extend I'd agree about the complexitiy of websites. However -and this is a big however- why does a website need webbugs of all sorts including 3rd party cookies/scripts to function? IMHO this is lesser a question of complexity but more an issue of poor or even bad website design.

A proper website -especially if it provides a paid service as this here- must (!) work without webbugs enabled.

Enabling webbugs such as *.2o7.net has an additional monetary or operational benefit for the website's operator at the cost -be it in terms of privacy or usability- of the user. This is debateble at free services such as google (which we all are paying with our privacy data) but I dare say not on a paid service site. In other words, at least if a website provides a paid service, then there should be no room for mandatory acceptance of webbugs, foreign scripts such as from Adobe etc. Up to know, this did quite work well as far as I can say, flickr on my firefox installation with blockers enabled had no hiccups from blocked webbugs.

Please forgive me my bluntness, considering this case of a login function ending in a circulus vitiosus, IMO this indicates lesser a question of complexitiy but of a decidedly ++undesign of the current login part of the website (as Orwell might have put it :-) )
tt.pix edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

kmacgray says:

tt.pix:

A proper website -especially if it provides a paid service as this here- must (!) work without webbugs enabled.

What you are asking for is impossible. Every website and / or web service encounters bugs at some point.

Paying has nothing to do with that. There seems to be this myth that if someone pays for something, that thing should just work flawlessly forever and never have a single issue ever. I'm not sure how this thinking gets started, but it's not at all based in reality.

view photos

~andre says:

bulldog1:

Firefox does not work at all. Is it the Browser
I use FireFox to visit Flickr daily. May be some specific activities that you do and I do not are not working.

If you are talking about new login, it still has not reached my region and I'm still using the Yahoo login, so may be something is broken in that area for Firefox. May be somebody who tried new login in Firefox can comment here.

view photos

mcnod says:

~andre:

May be somebody who tried new login in Firefox can comment here.

Worked flawlessly for me.

view photos

~andre says:

tt.pix:

why does a website need webbugs of all sorts including 3rd party cookies/scripts to function?
3rd-party cookies and 3rd-party scripts are two different things. The latter is the new way the web works and there's not necessarily any nefarious intent behind that - I may build with a chart similar to Flickr's stats in minutes by pointing to a charting package provider and having to code only the stuff around this chart.

Granted, not all scripts are as useful or even privacy-harmless and this is indeed where we need to rely on Flickr to be on our side. There is a lot of Yahoo-mandated stuff running right now and some of it definitely shouldn't be there, like pulling a script from Yahoo's ad servers for Pro accounts. This is where we need to give Flickr some time to clean-up their act and code.

3rd-party cookies, on the other hand, are leaking our privacy left and right. Firefox gives us good control over those and I usually disable all 3rd-party cookies, even though this may break some sites, like Facebook sharing. As things are now, every page you visit on Flickr sends your Facebook cookie to Facebook (provided that you are logged in on that computer). Unless one is happy with Facebook knowing which pages they visited on Flickr, it's better disabled.

tt.pix:
There may be less bugs or more bugs, but there cannot be no bugs. It's just reality. Every site has bugs, but what maters is how hard it is to reproduce one. Good sites will have bugs that are triggered by some intricate sequence of steps that were missed in their code reviews and testing. Bad sites will have bugs in mainstream areas because their developers are either sloppy or not experienced or bought into the new mantra of writing code that can be easily thrown away and doesn't have to be good quality, etc.

Flickr indeed has gotten worse quality-wise since my first years here. Bugs with bad character encoding, mixed up time zones, scripts appearing on the page in wrong places, conflicting HTML constructs, etc, are indicative of sloppy development and Flickr shows more of those now than before. My hope is that under Smugmug they will start paying more attention to software quality because now it will directly affect their subscribers and their revenue, as opposed to Yahoo's policy of attracting as many users with free half-baked goodies to please their advertisers. Time will tell.

view photos

~andre says:

mcnod:

Thanks for checking it out.

bulldog1:

There must be something else in your environment that prevents Firefox from functioning properly. Try restarting it without Add-ons:

* Press the Alt key - you will see the menu appear on top
* Click Help
* Click Restart with Add-ons Disabled
* When a pop-up window shows, click Restart in Safe Mode

See if it works then. You can re-enable your add-ons following the same steps.

← prev 1 2 3 4
(1 to 100 of 398 replies in [Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads