Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 36 seconds ago
[Official Thread] (Updated 2019.03.20) Temporary Video Downtime
Latest: 29 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Update on Creative Commons licenses and “In Memoriam” accounts
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] Timeline extension for free Flickr accounts over 1,000 photos + videos
Latest: 10 hours ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 35 hours ago
[Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans
Latest: 35 hours ago
[Official Thread] Updates on speed & stability so far
Latest: 2 days ago

Current Discussion

How many photos do I really have here?
y
Rescuing pictures
Latest: 3 hours ago
[ FLICKR STAFF PLEASE HELP! ] A Photo sharing web site have my works for free download which I never gave permission
Latest: 5 hours ago
Flickr Uploader
Latest: 5 hours ago
Buddy Icon How to find or create
Latest: 6 hours ago
How long does requested Staff review take?
Latest: 8 hours ago
Password
Latest: 9 hours ago
Flickr discussion groups not working
uploaded a video but it is appearing as just a picture
Very slow!?
Latest: 11 hours ago
Problem with geolocation in a group
Latest: 11 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Windows Explorer 11 not showing images on the "flickr" page

SilverStack says:

Today Internet Explorer on my desktop machine gave up displaying images on the "flickr" page after 12 years of almost continual use.

I know there is a nag screen indicating that IE-11 is not guaranteed to be supported at some point in the future (so please upgrade) - which I have steadfastly not done.

Has something happened today to intentionally stop IE-11 displaying these images, or is this likely to be something else?

Note: The "flickr" page shows up very well in Firefox, and on my vanilla Android phone. Also, all other apps are working on WE-11 as I would expect.

SilverStack
Posted at 10:57PM, 4 March 2019 PDT ( permalink | reply )
SilverStack edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

mrd0707 says:

I noticed the same thing.
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Mel Low says:

I am having the same problem today. I am using Windows 8.1.

view photos

SilverStack says:

Also, the Photostream is viewable, but not clickable.

view photos

Linda 2409 says:

I am using Windows 10 and I can see my Photostream but cannot open individual photos by clicking on them. If I try to view my albums page they flash for a split second on the screen then disappear completely. My "Recent Views" graph on the stats page is also blank

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

I just called up my own photostream with IE 11 and nothing is clickable. I guess Flickr finally axed IE 11.

Also: logging in is not possible, the login screen does not appear after clicking on "login", only the 'Grass could be greener on this side" screen.

view photos

That Hartford Guy says:

So what is the fix?

view photos

kmacgray says:

That Hartford Guy:

Use a different web browser that Flickr fully supports.

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

Even Microsoft says you should stop using Internet Explorer:

mashable.com/article/microsoft-stop-using-internet-explor...

view photos

Cheltonian1966 says:

I get a message to update my browser. I have downloaded Chrome but still cannot access my photos or any information on Stats.

view photos

Linda 2409 says:

I downloaded Chrome too. I cannot save Flickr as a desktop icon via Chrome, which means I would have to log onto Chrome then log on to Flickr to sign in and get my account on screen. I've always just clicked on my desktop icon to go straight into my account, but at the moment I cannot view my albums, individual photos or stats

view photos

Viejito says:

Stig Nygaard:

Even Microsoft says you should stop using Internet Explorer

Indeed: they tell you to use Edge, which loses all its favorites every time Windows 10 has a major upgrade...

view photos

The Searcher says:

"This. This is what I've been trying to tell you." - IE11 Not Supported Nag Screen

view photos

Hanzy2012 says:

for this issue in IE11 you could try to add "?details=1" to the end of your page URL to get back to the really old layout if you at least want to be able to click and see images through IE11.

example:
www.flickr.com/photos/hanzy2012/?details=1

Not a great workaround as that layout is really dated, but the script monkeys have not messed up the code on that page yet. Remember all the complaints when it went from that format to the current one (although the white space issue was really bad in the first iteration) and now we are so used to the current layout till it stopped working on some browsers.

view photos

Hanzy2012 says:

Scratch that, even though you can click on a picture every page afterwards is the new broken code.

view photos

SilverStack says:

Well, thanks to those who have posted. Now I know that IE-11 and I must part ways. There is enough chatter to suggest that this is a "flickr" vs IE-11 issue, and not something local to my workstation.

I'm going to try Chrome (wife uses Firefox for logging in to flickr so that we do not trip over our own logins). Edge is not a great flickr experience for me - I get many images drop on top of each other near the top left of the screen

SilverStack

view photos

James Iceleaf says:

I'm glad I found this post. I've been having the same issue. The only site that I have any issue with now on Internet Explorer 11 is Flickr. Not the wisest thing for them to do to alienate a portion of their user base.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

SilverStack says:

James Iceleaf:

I agree whole heartedly with your sentiment, and also realise that as Microsoft has given up on IE for their own (good) reasons, then we can't really complain too much at flickr (although I suspect there is something of a business agenda about this move).

Nikon (as an example) has the new "Z" mount, while still producing "F" mount lenses for DSLRs. At some point in the future I will (probably) be forced over to the "Z" mount - but as a personal protest I'm stalling the inevitable until the last possible moment.

Abstracting these two examples - despite all efforts to the contrary, you can't stand in the way of progress!

SilverStack

view photos

The Searcher says:

SilverStack: For sites to remain compatible with old browsers, they literally have to maintain and also create new code for that one browser. At some point newer browsers "branch", they use newer algorithms, better security, faster data handling. Also web sites develop new display technologies, user interface features, things that older browsers (especially browsers abandoned by their creators) can't functionally use. A company can't maintain an all-in-one website for all modern browsers, and then have an entire development team maintain essentially a whole SEPARATE site for one dead browser.

I mean, unless those folks using IE11 were willing to pay a premium subscription, something to offset the costs of maintaining a "shadow" site just for them. $400 per year might sway them.

view photos

barryjameswilson says:

Does anyone know of another good site to display your photos .
Have just lost the last 9 months of sets i put on Flickr .
I am a pro user

view photos

Marta "999 Photos" Wojtkowska says:

barryjameswilson:

another good site to display your photos
See this thread:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157703109362795/

view photos

mcnod says:

barryjameswilson:

Have just lost the last 9 months of sets i put on Flickr .

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this, maybe we can help? Follow or participate in this thread:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157707346041884/
mcnod edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

frantic rate says:

What's going on? Clicking a flickr page from IE I can no longer view the selected image/album. I have no wish to use firefox or any other browser. Is this the end of my use of flickr after years? So much for freedom of choice.

view photos

kiwirat says:

alexcarey2909:

So much for freedom of choice.

You have plenty of choices, move to a supported browser, delete your account, ignore any advice you receive here, etc....

view photos

Niko S90 says:

Can anyone tell me why these changes were made? They seem to have deleted links at random, presumably just to annoy users of older browsers. I have not seen any improvements when I tried Firefox, quite the contrary, it is slower, you get more "black" or half pictures and have to reload very often. This is progress? $50 + tax for that? You've got to be kidding. Maybe kiwirat is right, forget flickr and move on. If I cannot use my old browser, which has worked very well until now (better than Firefox), is not able to work as before by the weekend, flickr leaves me me no choice but to move on.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Niko S90:

Can anyone tell me why these changes were made?

See earlier replies in this thread.

view photos

john a d willis says:

Just an old guy who gets used to computers rather slowly . Now Flickr is going pear-shaped on me . (using IE 11) . I`ll just have to get some professional help ....as I did enjoy Flickr over 12 years .

view photos

john a d willis:

I`ll just have to get some professional help

Would it be very difficult for you to download Chrome browser, by following clear instructions?

Here is the link to the official site of Chrome:

www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/

Do you have a family member, relative (in the vicinity) or a helpful neighbour possessing some computer savviness, who can assist you with it?

view photos

mrd0707 says:

Niko S90:

If you read the recent topic on "Speed and Stability", I would suspect the reason is this: "We’re moving everything at Flickr out of Yahoo’s datacenters and into Amazon Web Services (AWS), the best cloud service provider in the world" Now it would have been nice to get a warning from Flickr that IE would no longer work at all and it would have been nice for someone from Flickr to respond.

What's not nice are snarky remarks towards people who are using IE11. These comments are not answering anyone's questions. The "Outdated Browser" message has been displaying for months, and IE11 has been working, so there has been a change that happened. But it is obvious that IE users will need to use a different browser from now on.

I actually prefer using Chrome with this site, but don't like it for other sites I visit and hate way they do bookmarks. So if I'm surfing the web, I'm usually not on Chrome. I've tried Firefox, but never got into it. I remember hating Edge, but can't remember why. Hate Safari.

Chrome is easy to setup and use, and works for older browsers (which Edge doesn't)

view photos

mcnod says:

mrd0707:

it would have been nice to get a warning from Flickr that IE would no longer work at all

mrd0707:
The "Outdated Browser" message has been displaying for months

view photos

mcnod says:

The Outdated Browser warning was sorta like the date on a carton of milk. Can you drink the milk a day after the date? Most often, yes. How about a week after the date? Well, maybe. It might be tasting a bit funny, but you probably will not get sick. How about a month later?
"I'm not gonna try it, let's get Mikey ..."

The day that warning went up was the day that flickr was done with IE11, the fact that it still worked for a long time is immaterial.

view photos

kiwirat says:

mrd0707:

I actually prefer using Chrome with this site, but don't like it for other sites I visit and hate way they do bookmarks. So if I'm surfing the web, I'm usually not on Chrome. I've tried Firefox, but never got into it. I remember hating Edge, but can't remember why. Hate Safari.

Have you looked into Vivaldi?

vivaldi.com/

view photos

mrd0707:

Have you tried Opera? Supported by Flickr (from version 15 onward, at least that used to be so, when I last had a look at the"Supported Browsers" page).

This is the latest version of Opera: 58.0.3135.90

By the way, I use Vivaldi, for some years now, to full satisfaction. It behaves pretty much like Chrome, built on the same technology (Chromium) - the differences (huge) are mainly cosmetic.

view photos

mrd0707 says:

kiwirat:

Don't think I've heard of Vivaldi, will check it out, thanks.

view photos

Willys Watson says:

Stig Nygaard:

Not true at all. IE 11 comes fully installed on Windows 10 when you buy a new pc. When Windows 10 was free at first to download it came with IE 10 as part of the free download to Windows 10.

view photos

Willys Watson says:

mrd0707:

Google Chrome is also a data miner that shares your personal information with advertisers. So beware when using Chrome.

view photos

Rick Knepper says:

Flickr get this thing fixed or face a lawsuit. There is no technical reason why this browser works one day and not the next.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Rick Knepper:

Good luck with that. You might also want to sue Microsoft as well for no longer supporting their own web browser.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Rick Knepper: What legal requirement does a company have to support a 3rd party expired program?

You may as well sue Amazon because they won't sell you a copy of Avengers: Endgame on VHS.

view photos

George Socka says:

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito:
Quite condescending aren't we? You seem happy with Google tracking your every move maybe.

view photos

George Socka says:

The Searcher:

restraint of trade? Conspiracy to restrain trade? Anti competitive? Racketeering maybe?

view photos

George Socka says:

Becoming less and less likely to start paying for this.

view photos

George Socka:

Quite condescending aren't we?

What on earth are you talking about?

Do you need help with anything?

view photos

Rick Knepper says:

kmacgray:

Different circumstances. Plus, the folks that my want to come see my images who use EI 11 may not want to change browsers just to do so or have you not thought about that?

view photos

Rick Knepper says:

The Searcher:

If this were actually true which it is not, proper notice of reason and commencement date would be a legal requirement at least to its Pro members. But, the fact that the account works properly one day, then doesn't the next demonstrates an arbitrary decision.

The Help Forum seems to work fine under EI11. This should suggest to you that it is not an expired program.

view photos

Rick Knepper:

Flickr get this thing fixed or face a lawsuit.

Are you serious?

view photos

ernstkers says:

Rick Knepper:

If this were actually true which it is not, proper notice of reason and commencement date would be a legal requirement at least to its Pro members.

Official statement about supported browsers: help.flickr.com/en_us/supported-web-browsers-for-flickr-r...

Rick Knepper:
he fact that the account works properly one day, then doesn't the next demonstrates an arbitrary decision.

Wrong. Flickr makes changes to their code on an almost daily basis. They test if the site still works properly with the supported browsers. With unsupported browsers it might work, but Flickr will not test it and likely will not make changes to get it working with unsupported browsers.

Rick Knepper:
The Help Forum seems to work fine under EI11. This should suggest to you that it is not an expired program.

Wrong again. The Help Forum is very old code with few changes made later. So good chance it still works with outdated browsers. It might even still work with Netscape Navigator.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

George Socka:

restraint of trade? Conspiracy to restrain trade? Anti competitive? Racketeering maybe?

Since you agreed to refrain from using flickr to sell anything, I think your case would be quickly thrown out.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Rick Knepper:

The Help Forum seems to work fine under EI11.

The Help Forum is built using different technology that the rest of the site. Old technology that is creaky and buggy.

the folks that my want to come see my images who use EI 11 may not want to change browsers

Well, they might have to.

This should suggest to you that it is not an expired program

IE 11 is not an "expired program". It's a web browser that is no longer supported by many websites. As noted earlier, even its creator, Microsoft, has abandoned it. Maybe take it up with them.

I know you don't want to, but you just might need to make a change. And the idea of a lawsuit is, quite honestly, a losing proposition.
kmacgray edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

Quatrelle4ever says:

what disgusts me is that Flickr does whatever the fk they want, and not even cares about their paying customers (without whom they are nothing). A simple notification would be appreciated communication is key.

view photos

mcnod says:

Quatrelle4ever:

A simple notification would be appreciated communication is key.

help.flickr.com/en_us/supported-web-browsers-for-flickr-r...

Last Update: Mar 4 2019 7:14pm

Internet Explorer - IE is no longer a supported browser.

view photos

len firecrest says:

Not very computer savvy as I,m getting on a bit , but should the fact that internet explorer is no longer supported affect Flickr on my IPad. Flickr only mentions IE in it,s warning as far as I am aware..? Using Safari BTW.

view photos

kmacgray says:

len firecrest:

Internet Explorer doesn't run on iPads, so you have nothing to worry about. And as you say, you aren't even using it as your browser anyway.

view photos

len firecrest says:

Just to clarify,Flickr is not working on my IPad at the moment, can't open any photos , my own or contacts even though I.m NOT using IE. Sorry for any misunderstanding

view photos

kmacgray says:

len firecrest:

Try restarting your iPad. I'm typing this on an iPad Air 2 and am not currently seeing any problems with Flickr.

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

Willys Watson:

Not true at all. IE 11 comes fully installed on Windows 10 when you buy a new pc.

I haven't said it isn't included with Windows 10. But it's mostly included to support legacy corporate intranet sites. For surfing the internet a modern browser is recommended. Not IE.

Not only is IE11 regarded an insecure browser for internet use. IE11 doesn't support modern webstandards either, and it is a lot time-consuming extra work to keep sites compatible with it. Time I much rather saw f.ex. Flickr use to improve the site in other ways...
Stig Nygaard edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

haroldito says:

IE11 is fine security wise, especially with secure websites like Flickr. Absolutely no problem.

IE11 doesn't work with Flickr anymore because Flickr decided so, not because IE11 can’t display a grid of pictures.

IE11 is unsupported because of a few flashy css effects that are not important *at all*. Once again, any 2010+ browser can display pictures on the web without any problem. Stop making it as if it was a state-of-the-art technology.

Flickr has a heavy website and wants people to use particular browsers so that said heavy website stays heavy.

I’d rather have IE11 support and a lighting-fast Flickr website without all the scripting going on.

Why IE11? Because on Windows 8, as a full screen browser, browsing pictures feels/felt really nice. It’s really annoying that people think that they know how people should enjoy something. I’m looking at pictures. I shouldn’t have to change anything compared to 5 or 10 years ago.

view photos

frantic rate says:

Thanks kiwirat.
My choice is IE. I don't have that choice anymore. I've got Firefox. I've tried to download images from flickr with it. It's not happening and I admit I don't know why. I'm used to choosing a size and clicking 'save' direct to my own chosen folder. Simples.
So could you share your wisdom with a 70 year old with minimal understanding of this? I'd really appreciate a little help without the smug attitude.
Thank you.

view photos

frantic rate says:

And how come I can contribute here (flickr) using IE.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

alexcarey2909:

change browsers. I doubt IE will work with the new login, so you're out of luck if you want to continue using it. It's insecure, vulnerable mess that even Microsoft warns against using. You can choose to continue to use flickr by changing your browser, or you can choose not to use flickr.
Яick Harris edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

haroldito:

IE11 is fine security wise, especially with secure websites like Flickr. Absolutely no problem.

Based on what? It is absolutely not secure. Microsoft admits it. Saying it is "fine security wise" is patently false, and misleading. It is vulnerable and insecure.

view photos

alexcarey2909:

What operating system are you using?

Which version of Firefox do you use?

view photos

Pacdog says:

I really wish Flickr would come out and talk about why they will no longer support IE and older OS's. Some Staff member could write up a blog post for Flickr to explain what is going on. We will keep seeing these threads. Many people cannot afford to upgrade their systems. I really feel for them.

view photos

simonov says:

Pacdog:

I really wish Flickr would come out and talk about why they will no longer support IE and older OS's

No website can support legacy browsers forever, for the reasons explained in detail above. This is not a new problem nor is it remotely exclusive to Flickr.

view photos

jefffarley154 says:

SilverStack:

I have exactly this problem.

view photos

kmacgray says:

jefffarley154:

See the advice provided in this thread for the solution.

view photos

jefffarley154 says:

For anyone who is looking for another site to show their work you might try Ipernity.com. I have been with them for several years and there are no problems at the moment !!!

view photos

tadichgrill2 says:

SilverStack:

Windows 7 pro not showing photos.

view photos

kmacgray says:

tadichgrill2:

Windows 7 Pro is not a web browser. Which web browser are you using?

view photos

The Searcher says:

Pacdog: "haroldito" explained it pretty well up there. Flickr hasn't supported IE11 in many months (thus the popup telling everyone for many months that IE11 isn't supported). What that means is, Flickr continued to utilize new and modern display technologies to make the site work. At some point those display technologies ("flashy CSS effects", etc) were something IE11 couldn't display (again, because it's a dead browser and Microsoft is no longer updating it).

It's as if you were at a video cafe and used their VCRs to watch your movies. Then the cafe put up a sign that said "We are no longer supporting VHS format. We will be phasing out the VCRs and replacing them with DVD and Bluray players".

For a while, they still had VCRs, so you could still watch your VHS tapes. But eventually, the last VCR was replaced with a bluray player. Your VHS tape doesn't fit in it, so it can't play your tape. If you brought in a DVD or bluray of that movie, you could watch it, but for some reason you just really don't want to stop using VHS tapes.

The world moves on, technology moves on, and if you choose to stay behind, it'll move on without you.
Posted 1 week ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

simonov says:

Don't get me started with 8 inch, ​5¼ inch, and ​3½ inch floppy disks. I've used them all. All obsolete now.

view photos

kmacgray says:

simonov:

You should be getting your Flickr CD-ROM in the mail any day now.

view photos

frantic rate says:

Like me my system is an old clunker, I'm running Windows 7. I installed Firefox about a month ago, haven't a clue other than that, presumably it's their latest version.
Don't tell me I should be shelling out for a new laptop. Whatever happens, it will have to see me out as like many other things; I can't afford it, and I'm on borrowed time anyway LOL.
I'm hesitating cancelling my flickr account, but can't see things improving from my point of view. There's plenty of other stuff to look at using what I've got. My take is, flickr is broken and though I've enjoyed the ride, it's time to get off.
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

simonov says:

alexcarey2909:

Like me my system is an old clunker, I'm running Windows 7. I installed Firefox about a month ago, haven't a clue other than that, presumably it's their latest version.

Windows 7 and Firefox works great for me. I have no plug-ins, it's a clean browser.

Apparently Microsoft is going to force an upgrade to Windows 10 soon. I use that on my PC at home, and it seems to work okay. I think Win 7 was a little more robust, though (definitely fewer reboots without so much as a "by your leave").

view photos

Oldt1mer - Keith says:

simonov:

"(definitely fewer reboots without so much as a "by your leave")"

There is a free program called 'Stopupdates10' which you can use to turn on or off windows updates. This means that you can let your PC do its updates when you want it to, rather than when it wants to.

Hope that helps

view photos

mrd0707 says:

Яick Harris: I doubt IE will work with the new login,

And that day has arrived. I tried accessing the site while on IE (I forgot I wasn't on Chrome) and the logon screen will only allow you to logon with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge. I could look at the picture that I shared, but that was about it.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads