Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 10 minutes ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 35 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Updates on speed & stability so far
Latest: 74 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Timeline extension for free Flickr accounts over 1,000 photos + videos
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] (Updated 2019.03.10) Temporary Video Downtime
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Official Thread] Update on Creative Commons licenses and “In Memoriam” accounts
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans
Latest: 3 days ago

Current Discussion

Not possible to download uploaded videos during migration
Latest: 17 minutes ago
Geo-tagging on an iPad
Latest: 58 minutes ago
Remove This Thread - Sorry!
Latest: 59 minutes ago
How do I highlight multiple photos in Organize in minimum steps?
Latest: 75 minutes ago
[ATTN: STAFF, ISSUE NOT FIXED] Comments not posting, slowness, bad pandas, bad gateways.
Latest: 86 minutes ago
My albums have disappeared
Counting to 1000: Lapsing Pro Account, Creative Commons and Photo Privacy
My early morning waking up
Latest: 3 hours ago
Lost new videos [BUG]
Latest: 5 hours ago
Bug - Tagging photo with a phrase
Latest: 6 hours ago
Want to buy a download but cannot reach owner
Latest: 6 hours ago
Uploading Question
Latest: 9 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Updates on speed & stability so far

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

Hi everyone,

I’m SmugMug’s Chief Geek & CEO. Together with the Flickr team, we’re the people that are hard at work improving Flickr. One of the most important pieces of feedback we got from Flickr’s members was that we had to stabilize & speed up the service.

We’ve been working on that for many months now and I wanted to update everyone on our progress. I know there are still speed and reliability issues, and I experience them too. I get incredibly frustrated when my uploads error out and I have to retry. It’s not fun. :(

The good news is that we’re fixing them at a deep, fundamental level: we’re re-engineering Flickr’s underlying infrastructure, and we’re making really good progress. We’re moving everything at Flickr out of Yahoo’s datacenters and into Amazon Web Services (AWS), the best cloud service provider in the world.

Re-engineering Flickr’s infrastructure is staggeringly complex. Flickr is a huge service and it powers an amazingly large percentage of the Internet’s hyperlinks. It’s like swapping out a jet’s engines while still flying. This takes a lot of time and hard work to get right.

Just how huge is the scale? Monstrously huge. We have more than 100 million accounts. We store, render, and serve tens of billions of photos. Our storage footprint alone is hundreds of petabytes (that’s hundreds of millions of gigabytes). We have hundreds of databases. The list goes on - all the numbers are enormous. They’re so big that we’re often literally hitting the limits of physics, such as the speed of light and the rotational speed of disks, as we try to move faster.

Flickr is a very large platform built out of a number of smaller internal services. Together, those services deliver the Flickr experience you know and love. I’m happy to report that a number of services have already moved to our new infrastructure 100%, and more will finish in the next few weeks and months. Each time a service moves, the error rate drops dramatically and the performance jumps. Fewer Pandas are seen.

One of the major services that is in mid-move right now, and easily the most requested by our members, is the new Flickr Login. No longer will you be required to log in via Yahoo; instead, you can log in directly with whatever email address and password you prefer. If you haven’t received your invitation yet, stay tuned: you will. It takes awhile to move 100M accounts.

The next wave coming, starting in the next few weeks, is an entirely new set of services for uploading, storing, and serving both photos and videos. Our internal testing is going very well, and this new set of services should deliver much better performance, far fewer errors, higher quality, and a lot of really great new functionality.

As we continue to move these services over, one-by-one, things may continue to be a little bumpy. Occasionally, we may even have to schedule small amounts of downtime for particularly large or difficult services. I’m sorry about that - I wish this was smoother for everyone, including myself. As I said, though, this is a very difficult problem and the bumpiness will be worth it - we’ll soon be on a much faster, much more stable Flickr.

Thank you for your continued patience and support. We couldn’t do any of this without the passionate Flickr community and its valuable feedback. As a company, SmugMug has spent more than 16 years listening to our photographers, building better experiences based on that feedback, then listening again. We’re re-engineering Flickr’s infrastructure because you asked us to, so it’s important to get right.

Once we’re done with this re-engineering project later this year, and we’ve made sure Flickr is faster and more stable than ever before, we’ll get to work building the next wave of great Flickr experiences you’re all asking for.

We’ve been listening, we’re very excited about the future, and the world’s largest photographer-focused community will be better than ever.

Don MacAskill
Chief Geek & CEO
SmugMug & Flickr

Learn more:
- Help Forum: Getting ready for the new Flickr login
- Blog: A Sharper Focus For Flickr
- Blog: Leaving The Yahoo Login Behind
- Blog: Putting Your Best Photo Forward
- Blog: We Can’t Stand Spam Either
Posted at 5:12PM, 23 February 2019 PDT ( permalink )
adstads (staff) edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 157 replies in [Official Thread] Updates on speed & stability so far)
view photos

littletinperson says:

thanks for the update, mr. macaskill. please continue to keep us informed about the good and the bad as the service migrates. yes, the service can be frustrating at times, but it's even more frustrating to those of us who have no real information about what's going on, why it's going on, and when we an expect it to be resolved. kudos to you for taking a step in the direction of keeping us better informed.

now, if you could push the information out to us rather than require us to dig ... :) ciao!!
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Don-MacAskill:

Excellent!
Thanks for the work and for this update.

More regular updates would be good, even minor ones - if only to reduce the numbers of pointless "when's a, b, c happening" and "why hasn't x, y, z happened yet" posts here. ;-)

view photos

kmacgray says:

Don-MacAskill:

Excellent, thanks for the detailed update! I will also echo previous sentiments about more frequent communication. We know you are all very busy but even a tiny update here and there really does help.

Looking forward to emerging out the other side of this huge transition ...

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

Don-MacAskill:

Thank you for the explanation about the various "bumps".

Indeed, dropping some clues in some threads would be a good idea, so that members are not getting the idea Flickr is totally ignoring them.

view photos

Pacdog says:

I'm very pumped to see what you do with Flickr Don. Thanks for the update.

view photos

jschumacher says:

Don-MacAskill:

Thanks for the update! I also suggest having someone on staff pop in to appropriate discussions on the Help Forum.

There have been a number of issues (display of Groups page and display of People You Follow being the most recent) where having staff come in to acknowledge the problem and indicate whether or not its a quick fix or something that will need to wait until the transition is further along, that would prevent a lot of frustration and wasted effort (as we try to troubleshoot the problem) on the part of us customers. Doing so would, I assume, also cut down on the workload of the Support Heroes who would not need to field repetitive requests.

view photos

Pacdog says:

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito:

kmacgray:

Nionyn_:

and

littletinperson:

I understand your frustrations, but at the same time I understand Flickr hears your voices. They are not ignoring Us as much as they have no new updates. Please remember this is a User to user help forum. This is Not a Forum for Updates to the site. That is why they have a blog. Don has said Flickr hears Us! Let him sort this move.

view photos

Pacdog says:

jschumacher:

Sadly I missed you!!

=o)

view photos

Pacdog:

I understand your frustrations

What would we do without you...

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Pacdog:

I don't think we (those you mentioned) are asking for more updates for ourselves. We (like you) understand how Flickr works, have read the announcements so far and have a pretty reasonable idea of what's going on behind the scenes and why.

Read my post above again, and you'll see what I meant. ;-)

view photos

"Just an ol' nature boy takin' a picture" says:

Don-MacAskill:

Thank you for the update.

view photos

aussiejeff says:

Don-MacAskill:

Mucho gracias Don ;O)

For sure, it's better for us to feel we are kept "in the loop" than hanging at a loose end..

Good luck with the ongoing upgrades!

Cheers,
aj

view photos

abstractartangel77 says:

Don-MacAskill: Thanks very much for this update and for going into such detail; it's much appreciated. Yes, it's a huge job - I didn't realise Flickr has more 100 million accounts! Your analogy of it being like swapping out a jet’s engines while still flying is a good one. Downtime, if necessary, is fine as long as we get notice of it and the end result is a more stable and usable Flickr experience.

view photos

Stefano Rugolo says:

Good to know about the plans. Good luck with the heavy work.

view photos

my.travels says:

Don-MacAskill:

I think this message should be placed on the login page so that everyone knows the issues and knows that you really work hard. Now, I am satisfied with this message against my frustration. Please do so what I propose here. Put the message on the login page.

God help you!

Best regards

view photos

ernstkers says:

my.travels:

I think this message should be placed on the login page so that everyone knows the issues and knows that you really work hard.

Your assumption that everybody will see a message on the login page is wrong. I always stay logged in and never see that page. I'm sure it's the same for many other people.

view photos

my.travels says:

ernstkers:

Well! A place where everyone can see this easily.

view photos

Aamir Bilal says:

If someone wants to go PRO, there MUST exist an in-app purchase option. Sadly, it doesn't. Please allow it in app stores for both OS. We love the good work you are doing Don. :)

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Don-MacAskill:

All well, then. I will believe when I see it! And I'll renew my pro only after I see those changes, not before...

view photos

skagitrenee says:

I'm happy to get your explanation. Thank you for giving us feedback.

I look forward to the time beyond the changes.

view photos

janecumming33 says:

Someone by the name of Lesly Kamai has put a photo up on my about page and said it was me. I noticed the name on my notice bell and did not click on it. How do I remove the photo? Do you remove it or do I and how do I do that? I didn't know were else to post this complaint.

view photos

kmacgray says:

janecumming33:

You need to start your own topic. Please do not take this thread off-topic.

www.flickr.com/help/forum/new/

view photos

Jeƒƒ says:

littletinperson:

now, if you could push the information out to us rather than require us to dig

This, yes. Users shouldn't have to search/monitor/look/dig for important status updates and announcements. It's simple common sense. Alerts need to be active, not passive.

view photos

Irrational Photography says:

Hello Don-MacAskill

Can you please address the following?

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157706909654494/

Taking away the 1TB of free storage and limiting the uploaded pictures to 1000 is an obvious cost-cutting measure that will affect a small percentage of users

But can you please give a *detailed* rational for increasing the price on Pro accounts (doubling!?) soo much without giving value for money?

You tout discounts - for EXPENSIVE products people either already have or don't use, for products that bring SmugMug revenue, for products you get obvious kickbacks for

These are not discounts if you have to pay for them You are doubling our subscription and offering coupons in return.

You tout advanced stats, but see the link - the advanced stats are next to worthless and should actually be free as it appears that the analytics are available for everyone but are limited/excluded to free accounts (think of on the disk day 1 DLC you have to pay to receive a 65kb unlock file) - if not than there are obvious improvements you can make that should be on the top of the list that I have enumerated in the link and actually talked to support a year ago and have never seen any follow up.

There are a lot of things we bring forth, that support has said "Sure!" to but received silence.

Now we are seeing a Magnanimous price increase for features we have been using for a decade with Nothing more to show for

We Do not want a pittance of discounts with other companies - save that and improve your own platform,

Thank you
Irrational Photography edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Jeƒƒ says:

jschumacher:

There have been a number of issues (display of Groups page and display of People You Follow being the most recent) where having staff come in to acknowledge the problem and indicate whether or not its a quick fix or something that will need to wait until the transition is further along, that would prevent a lot of frustration

+1. That particular issue is new, and has just been ignored, with people being referred to generic troubleshooting steps that don't actually solve it.

view photos

Jeƒƒ says:

Pacdog:

Please remember this is a User to user help forum. This is Not a Forum for Updates to the site. That is why they have a blog.

That makes no sense -- you're right, it's not a forum about announcements for updates to the site... so why do they use it that way? And then the blog... they don't use that consistently that way either, it's a slick general-interest mish-mash of marketing posts with some announcement info mixed in. It also requires that users check it: info about changes should be pushed out to users, not require users to come to it. Flickr communication needs a major overhaul along with everything else.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Irrational Photography:

You need to post in the official topic instead of taking this one off topic:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702923034264/

This thread is for site stability and migration issues, not the price change.

view photos

Irrational Photography says:

kmacgray:

Don-MacAskill

Nobody is listening to us

Nobody is responding

It has become the "You may protest within the marked lines between 1 and 5" thread.

It is 88 pages of noise in a filled assembly room and no one at the podium.

Added:

You also appear to be an official flickr contact, I have done as you requested (both times), but it seems that no answer or mention is forthcoming, I have read through the thread and it seems that you address people to address their concerns to other threads - but do not receive any more support or mention. It's the same as the flickr Facebook page: To response to any messages, just an automated message to post here, but we are not receiving support. I have sent an email through the "Superior Pro Support" and await to see the response from there.

The only people who respond to grievances are other users who DEBATE them instead of addressing the issue.

The deflection can not continue forever. People are upset and want concrete honest answers, not doublespeak.

Do not let the internet's collective eye turn towards flickr.
Irrational Photography edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

FYEphoto says:

Will Flickr extend the payed period for the months needed to fix all the problems to all pro users to compensate for the reduced experience we have in the meantime?

view photos

kmacgray says:

Irrational Photography:

You also appear to be an official flickr contact

Who are you addressing with that comment, myself or Don? You've included both of our buddy icons in your reply.

view photos

conall.. says:

Don-MacAskill:

Thanks for this. Really useful and informative to get this update. And very encouraging too I think. I would echo the comments of others that more regular updates like this (either here or on the blog) would be helpful. I think that every couple of weeks wouldn't be too frequent, even if there was not much new to report. It lets users know things are actually happening in the background and that they are being listened to.

view photos

Jan.Timmons says:

Thanks for the update. Lots of work!

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

While you're reengineering, please consider moving the Help forum link that is currently on the bottom of the screen to the top where it can be clicked without having to wait for a constant stream of images to load first.

view photos

East Texan the original says:

Gray Lensman QX!:

Until they do..the old edit details page is still available and better navigation too.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Gray Lensman QX!:

This is the correct thread for feature requests:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157666189625037/
kmacgray edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Wulf Dieter Vogl says:

And, Mr MacAskill, because you are improving so much, today I not even could log in to my flickr. Got a blank webpage. The last year flickr became worse and worse, but more expensive. Prices up and service down: an interesting business-model!

view photos

guidowerner says:

Wulf Dieter Vogl:

At what precise step of the login process do You get the blank page? Does it happen when You enter Your email-adress on the new login page and then tap "next"? Or are You redirected to the old login page and You get the blank page when You enter Your password on the old Yahoo login page and tap "next"?

Which browser on which operating system do You use? For me login works fine on both Firefox and Chrome on Windows 10 and on Android.

view photos

guidowerner says:

Wulf Dieter Vogl:

By the way: It would be better to post questions about the new login system in this thread:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157703312884302

I suggest that You repost Your question there and include we additional information I have asked for in that repost.

view photos

luckyphoto2010 says:

I've been searching, but unable to find a thread about the new photo display design. It's difficult if not impossible to tell if a photo is worth viewing. Is there an alternative to go back to the old design where the whole photo is displayed?

view photos

kmacgray says:

luckyphoto2010:

Your question has nothing at all to do with what is being discussed in this topic, so I'm not quite sure how you chose this thread. Best to start your own so this one doesn't go off topic:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/new/

view photos

Buddha's Ghost says:

luckyphoto2010:

I've been searching, but unable to find a thread about the new photo display design. It's difficult if not impossible to tell if a photo is worth viewing. Is there an alternative to go back to the old design where the whole photo is displayed?

That’s not a new layout for the photo display. That’s yet another Flickr malfunction that is pissing a lot of members off. It’s been going on for a week and is affecting the groups page and the contacts new uploads page. It is intermittent, but messed up more often than not for a lot of members, making the site unusable. It has yet to be fixed.

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157689859270263/

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157705440648591/

view photos

Silanov says:

Don-MacAskill:

Thanks for the information about the ongoing progress.

It's already an improvement that the CEO keeps Flickr users up-to-date, as I never saw Marissa Mayer dropping in here.

view photos

bulldog1 says:

When you say going to Amazon does that mean one needs an amazon account? Have tried to email about my yahoo email and how I get to flickr and can I still use it ?? Is it wise to pay ahead on one's yearly membership just In case it might be hard to find as you change everything around
Please don't make it difficult to get on our sites or understand what you are changing. A paid member since coming on in 2004.
Hoping when all is completed it will all work out....
The membership has grown by leaps and bounds from earlier years and think you know how important it is to so many around the world.
Thanks

view photos

Silanov says:

Irrational Photography:

We Do not want a pittance of discounts with other companies - save that and improve your own platform,

Some might want the discounts. Or do speak on behalf of every user?

view photos

simonov says:

bulldog1:

When you say going to Amazon does that mean one needs an amazon account?

No, he means Flickr is now hosted with Amazon Web Services, a cloud service provided by Amazon. Flickr used to be hosted on Yahoo's infrastructure. Completely transparent to Flickr users.

view photos

chris.greek says:

Any more updates about the speed? Because if you noticed its not too fast, instead sometimes Flickr is very slow.

view photos

bulldog1 says:

www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/
Thanks and my flickr account is my cloud as many years of memories on flickr and have no idea how to use clouds. Is it wise to pay ahead on membership if it comes up sometime in April or May? If flickr is acting up and can't get on to extend my membership. Also can I always use my yahoo email to get to flickr or will you require something else with the change?

view photos

simonov says:

bulldog1:

You're asking a guy who's been paying since 2006, so I'm not exactly an objective source.

Can't help you with the Yahoo e-mail question.

view photos

jschumacher says:

bulldog1:

Also can I always use my yahoo email to get to flickr or will you require something else with the change?

You will still be able to use your Yahoo email to access Flickr. The upcoming change will allow people who do not want to use their Yahoo email to associate their Flickr account with a different email address.

view photos

bulldog1 says:

www.flickr.com/photos/79119304@N00
Thank you.....if one wants to change password to account can it be done on flickr ??

view photos

bulldog1:

if one wants to change password to account can it be done on flickr ??

If you wish to change your password, you need to go to Settings, look under "login" top right hand side:

www.flickr.com/account

But I daresay that this moment is not the best time to change password, what with Flickr cutting the login ties with Yahoo.

view photos

bulldog1 says:

www.flickr.com/photos/mabelia/
Thank you for the advise. Had gone to settings two days ago and was not the same for changing password like before so thought to ask here.
Thanks again for the help here !

view photos

Karsten Gieselmann says:

Very much appreciate your statement, Don-MacAskill. Personally, for me it's easier to accept such problems, if I'm informed about what it is and why. I believe keeping customers informed is key to build trust and intimacy. Same as with flight or train delays.

Please keep up with this, and let us know what is going on behind the scenes!
Karsten Gieselmann edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

keithhull says:

Don-MacAskill:

Its good to finally have a detailed account of whats happening Its not be a lot of fun being a user these past few months hopefully soon things will work like clockwork
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

George Plakides says:

Do these forthcoming changes have anything to do with the way all group photos since this morning are displayed scrabbled or is the problem with my Mozilla Firefox? I have always used Firefox with no such issues.
The photos are all overlayed over each other so that only a part of it is showing.
Everything else in my account works fine, just the groups.

This question may be posted in the wrong thread but I don't know how this system works to find the correct place.

Thanks
George

view photos

George Plakides:

This question may be posted in the wrong thread but I don't know how this system works to find the correct place.

The thread to which I am linking below has become the place where most of the reports and follow up are collected, plus staff is updating members who are experiencing the issue:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157689859270263/page2/#...

view photos

George Plakides says:

Thank you your prompt reply, I will try the link.

view photos

Clint Everett says:

Thanks for all your hard work Team Flickr!

view photos

Miro Collas says:

Don-MacAskill:

Thanks for having posted this. However, it would be really nice if status updates were posted when the site is impacted in some way, And I don't mean buried in the forums, but via a status bar across the top of each page, very visible, so people are informed.

Like right now, there are problems uploading, uploaded images don't show in photostreams, comments on images are not being displayed, comment counts are wrong, adding photos to groups fails for invalid reasons.

If this is expected as a result of work being done, let people know! Maybe it would ease load on you guys too if we all stopped trying over and over to get things to work.

view photos

spelio says:

I shared this Forum thread here..
flic.kr/p/RecRWZ

How a normal person tells a story:

www.flickr.com/people/donmacaskill/

This was not meant to be my thoughts on how Don or the flickr team are developing flickr, but how I wander around all the Contacts, links and fine postings I find from my photostream comments to searches I make and interesting people and great images I find as a result... edit 04/03/2019
spelio edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

Oscar.Beins says:

I understand it's a lot of work. However i hope the upload problem is fixed soon. This whole weekend i keep getting " This Failed To Upload" Error. I use the album sharing links for my clients. So its frustrating that i can't do anthing right now.

view photos

Rob Keulemans says:

I am happy to read this now! I had the same experience as Miro Collas www.flickr.com/photos/ffabris/ the whole morning and didn't know what was happening.
When will this been fixed?

view photos

my.travels says:

Over 20 hits to see a friend's Photostream...no action.. images do not show.

view photos

spelio:

Sorry, but I am not clear about your post - what does it have to do with anything on this thread?

view photos

spelio says:

I just enjoy the spirit of help and comradeship amongst so many of the Pro members here. and see my edit above!

view photos

اسد اللہ خان says:

all downloads are crashing,

view photos

Pacdog says:

اسد اللہ خان:

Working fine for me. Chrome, FF & Edge.

view photos

spelio:

I just enjoy the spirit of help and comradeship amongst so many of the Pro members here. and see my edit above!

Ah okay, thank you for your kind observation!
Yes, indeed, we should count ourselves lucky to feel this spirit surrounding us all :), free members definitely *not* excluded, because we are all Flickrites, those few lousy dollars some of us forked out, cannot change that.

view photos

Bear Dale says:

Fantastic news and thanks for the update.

view photos

ellenm1 says:

Thank you!

view photos

ccoutreach87.com says:

littletinperson:

Thanks for the update- it helps

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

kmacgray:

Oh, I'm sure they know about it already, It's been a pain for users for years now. They just don't care enough to fix it.

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

East Texan the original:

Thanks, but I refuse to use workarounds to access help. Such bad design just offends my sensibilities.

view photos

chris.greek says:

I know that Flickr staff, engineers working hard to solve serious problems like the speed, but today (right now) is very bad! ...like someone switched the button to off

view photos

Gray Lensman QX!:

Start typing "help" in the search box at the top, a bunch of search results will appear at "Hel", at the bottom is the link to the Help Forum.

Sorry for the "workaround" but just thought I'd give it anyway, and there might be others reading this thread who don't mind using it.

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

Thanks for the tip, there are probably some who will use it.

It just says so much about the user experience on a website when using Help is more frustrating than the problem that sent you to help in the first place.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Gray Lensman QX!:

Or click the help link in the footer of most pages.
Or click the help link under your buddy icon in the upper right.
Or click the Help Center link in the upper left of the help forum front page.
Or bookmark the Help Center in your browser.

Lots of ways to get there.

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

kmacgray:

That's the cruelest tip I ever read. It's what makes trying to access Help from the main page so painful.

That's helpful. You know I tried clicking everything on the top for the help menu but the buddy icon. You'd think they'd put it under the flickr menu.

That's funny. I've been on flickr forever, yet this is the first time I've learned that there's more help than the Help forum.

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

kmacgray:

That's the cruelest tip I ever read. It's what makes trying to access Help from the main page so painful.

That's helpful. You know I tried clicking everything on the top for the help menu but the buddy icon? You'd think they'd put it under the flickr menu.

That's funny. I've been on flickr forever, yet this is the first time I've learned that there's more help than the Help forum.

view photos

The Spirit of the World ( On and Off) says:

Thank you for this update and a preview of up coming changes.

view photos

Boaz Guttman בועז גוטמן ГУТМАН says:

Thanks for the updates

view photos

Oxbow_Lebach says:

Don-MacAskill:

Yawn... Let me know when it's over. I'll be waiting here for my two videos to finish processing, hopefully by sometime next month.
Posted 10 days ago. ( permalink )

view photos

urbandispute says:

You're doing a heckuva job
Posted 9 days ago. ( permalink )

view photos

ME-101 says:

MORE BAD PANDA BS? Photos, again - not video.
Sure stuff stuffs up now and then. But this is just tooooooooo often now.

If you've been working on this for months with no improvement, tell us what is going on. It may be complex but it's been months. So why is it crashing so often still months down the track?

Perhaps it's planned but you forgot to tell us? Perhaps you think it isn't in YOUR peak timezone? If you have to land the damned plane, pick a date up the track a short way, tell us and just do it. I'd rather be included in the planning process and go a day or two with zero access cos it's down for the big upgrade then all this seemingly random crashing all the time.
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink )
ME-101 edited this topic 8 days ago.

view photos

janetfo747 ~ Dreaming of Africa says:

This reconstruction is really causing frustration

flickr is very slow and difficult to work on right now,
its slow, will not display very quickly, and freezes, the wait time for any comment is long......long......long. it is always taking me to BAD PANDA, but i open another window and am in.

I know we all have to do the best we can right now, but I sure hope your team gets it fixed.

Funny how is always gets really bad during the weekend....

thanks Jan
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Alex1N says:

I have a couple of ‘workflow-speed’ problems, on the details page - my MOST USED interface with Flickr (98 % of stuff) I am getting the following since a few weeks ago and no doubt an “improvement” somewhere or other:

When I upload a photo from the iPhone or iPad, I get a second, ‘video‘ upload with the same title. Easily deleted but an annoyance, particularly if I’ve uploaded a number of images;

Another interruption to my workflow is that if I add a description, and save it, the ‘saving...’ task doesn’t ‘ complete’, and requires a hard page reload. Again, not the end of the world, but a definite frustration and a real encumbrance.

Latest iOS on both devices (12.1.4).

Here’s a screenshot of the first item:

Flickr upload stupidity, Feb-March-? 2019 by Alex1N

Dr Alex.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink )
Alex1N edited this topic 7 days ago.

view photos

chris.greek says:

^^ Speed problems are still here. Flickr couple minutes ago was not only slow, it was not working. Every page, groups etc was broken for at least 5 - 7 minutes.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Alex1N says:

Alex1N:

Anyone else seeing something like this?
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink )

view photos

antonychammond says:

Still having to reload all the time but kudos to Mr MacAskill for taking the time and trouble to put us in the picture!

view photos

nolehace says:

...uploadr totally broken at this time...zero functioning...so frustrating to pay for this service and it doesn't function way too often...dammit...

view photos

splattergraphics says:

I just killed the last 20 minutes waiting for pages to load, and when they did, there were many blank images. The home page alone (after login) took over ten minutes to fully load.

view photos

saint magenta says:

nothing's working. `sigh. i pay for this.

view photos

┼ Morgana Hilra♥ says:

Not sure what is happening but, today, has been especially horrendous.
Lag, unable to ad to group at some points, no updating, unable to use the share functions...
I am not sure what is going on..
Is anyone else having these issues?
Oh, and photos showing as broken links ON flickr.

view photos

┼ Morgana Hilra♥ says:

saint magenta:

that's the other thing... flickr has had issues in the past but, idk. it seems like since they were taken over ...oops, i meant, sold... the lag has gotten a ton worse.

view photos

┼ Morgana Hilra♥ says:

Oxbow_Lebach:

yesterday... i posted a 58 second video... waited 6 hrs... and it still hadn't processed. I just gave up on it and posted it to youtube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTa2YNQql8g

view photos

Hermanistan says:

┼ Morgana Hilra♥:

Why yes, others are having issues too.

I have been a v-e-r-y casual user for ages, had a free account, just played around with a few photos, really super-minimal use (I think I have about a half dozen small test photos uploaded), not sure I wanted to mess with flickr at all. I decided today to give it a try, signed up for a month of "Pro" but first impressions are not good....browser just sitting and spinning, nothing showing, looong lags....as I said, not a good 1st impression. Fortunately, I'm just playing with it now,so I can afford to shut it off and try again tomorrow. But...my first impression make me very, very wary. We'll see how it goes.

view photos

Paul's World Tour says:

Don-MacAskill:

Home page collections do not show the mosaic images. Also other t;lower levelt; collections do not show mosaic images.
I have never seen this issue before.

I'm using Chrome.

www.flickr.com/photos/nikonimages/collections

view photos

hitbijuru says:

!!!
hitbijuru edited this topic 5 days ago.

view photos

HereIsTom says:

Sorry to say, but almost nothing is working!
All pages are loading very very slow and then show no pictures!

view photos

alex.tiper says:

if that's make you all happier, well, know that facebook is not working either :)
alex.tiper edited this topic 6 days ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 157 replies in [Official Thread] Updates on speed & stability so far)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads