Latest: 2 days ago
[Official Thread] (Updated 2019.03.20) Temporary Video Downtime
Latest: 4 days ago

Current Discussion

updating photos gets deleted
Latest: 3 minutes ago
Flickr not generating zip file
Latest: 38 minutes ago
Why won’t my photos delete or remove from my album?
Latest: 44 minutes ago
What is going on Explore now?
Latest: 50 minutes ago
How to upload RAW file formats (.DNG, .NEF)
Latest: 61 minutes ago
cannot log in on ipad 2 and flickr app
Latest: 67 minutes ago
Uploads Timing Out Error - Which part is timing out?
Latest: 2 hours ago
Upload from iOS
Pictures disappeared and are now white or blank
Replacing images
Latest: 3 hours ago
Why is a photo appearing as a blank?
Latest: 3 hours ago
Picture suddenly broken/not appearing
Latest: 4 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Linking to deleted files

R&G Lorthiois says:

Hi. I manage a website that uses photos to describe plants and pictures to help people garden and discover and love nature. I always try to link back to the original photo and flickr website.

I discovered that sometimes the link is broken and visitors land on a 410 error page.

example:

Beet by gainful button

My questions are:
- is this the consequence of a picture and/or account being deleted?
- does the "legal" requirement of having to link back to flickr for a picture disappear?
- is there any way to get in touch with the photographer of a deleted account?

I imagine that any picture once shared by its author under a certain license cannot be "unshared".

- How can this be proven if the sharing platform removes every trace of past pictures and accounts?

I'd be happy to have your ideas on this.
Posted at 10:53AM, 14 April 2019 PDT ( permalink | reply )

view photos

micael18 says:

R&G Lorthiois:

If the picture or the account is deleted, then there of course isn't anything to link to.

It's always best to upload the pictures from your computer, to the website. Then, you have the control over them. But if wanting to use other Flickr-users' pictures, ask them first. If no answer from them, don't use their pictures.

And you can't contact a deleted user.
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

The Searcher says:

R&G Lorthiois: That user deleted their account. There is no legal requirement that people must keep accounts open. If they had a license on that photo that allowed sharing (a Creative Commons license) then all that means is you are allowed to COPY that image and use it in the ways the license allows.

If you just link to the creator's image, you have no control over the image. The responsibility of securing a copy of a licensed image is on you.

Also Creative Commons licenses usually require the license and attribution to be displayed with the image. So if all you did was link back to Flickr, you weren't complying with the terms of the license anyway. And unfortunately for you, if you had complied, you would have had proof of the license on your blog, and a name of the photographer that you could have used to track them down and request a copy of the image.

So unfortunately, due to several missteps of your own, you are out of luck.
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

R&G Lorthiois says:

Hi The Searcher and
micael18:

Thanks both of you for your inputs which were very helpful.

Actually I had done exactly what you suggested, storing the photo on my own side, and adding both name and license type (with link to the photo on flickr and to the license type on CC) to the credits for the picture. It's just that I would have liked to get in touch with the author, which I hadn't yet been able to do. So it's a shame I won't be able to share the link of the page to him or her. I'll try tracking them down with the name which I have, but it's sometimes hard when there are dozens of them.

I do understand though that since the photo isn't hosted on flickr anymore, the "flickr" requirement to link back to their website is obsolete. I would be surprised if we're required to link back for pictures previously hosted but now not anymore.

And the CC license usually recommends linking back to the "original" url, but that disappeared. I wonder how CC envisioned that.

In any case, thank you for your clarifications and help. I'll really try to get permission before/upon posting. Tracking responses is difficult but worth it. Thanks!
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads