Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[investigating, staff reply] Stats, Statistics, Lost Views!
Latest: 5 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Flickr downtime on May 22 and site issues since then. (PLEASE REPLY HERE)
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Official Thread] Scheduled downtime on May 22, plus more updates on speed & stability
Latest: 2 days ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 2 days ago
Thank you Flickr tech people!
Latest: 3 days ago
[Official Thread] A new way to stay informed about site performance issues.
Latest: 4 days ago
[FIXING – FIND PHIL!] Anyone else see part of a moving face with a mustache?
Latest: 2 weeks ago

Current Discussion

Using pictures not your own
Latest: 2 minutes ago
Camera EXIF data missing or incomplete
Latest: 52 minutes ago
In Memoriam
Latest: 68 minutes ago
[Investigating] Facebook and marking Flickr links as spam
Latest: 87 minutes ago
[Fixed] - Not getting push notifications from app
Can't Save New Group Icon
Inconsistent publishing from Lightroom Classic CC
A mysterious place with no name
Where can I find the address of photo in photo stream to copy and paste to a spreadsheet?
Latest: 4 hours ago
Incorrect Photo count
Latest: 4 hours ago
How many photos do I really have here?
Latest: 5 hours ago
switching to a classic page view when browsing search results?
Latest: 7 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

Hi all,

Today we announced important changes to Flickr’s Pro and Free accounts. I also posted an update on all of the wonderful improvements we’ve been hard at work building. I know this is a lot of change to take in, and we blogged about why we’ve made some of these important decisions. These updates allow us to focus on Flickr’s strengths as the world’s largest photographer-focused community where you can discover and connect with the best photography and photographers on the planet.

These changes are significant and important to the future of Flickr, so I’m here to discuss them and answer questions where I can. I believe it’s important that the community understands where we’re coming from and how hard we’re working to build amazing things for photographers using Flickr. I believe this is the right path forward to build a bright, exciting, sustainable future for Flickr and ensure the platform can continue to shape the world of photography for years to come.

Don MacAskill
Chief Geek & CEO
SmugMug & Flickr

The Changes

New Simple Login!
Coming in January, there will be no need for a Yahoo account to use Flickr. Login is the number one complaint we receive through our Help Center, so we’re happy to free you to use any email you prefer to access Flickr.

Flickr Pro Accounts
Flickr Pro is better than ever. At less than half the cost of Apple, Amazon, or Google, it’s the best deal in photography — hands down. In addition to access to the world's largest photography-focused community, Pros receive these perks:

Unlimited Photos
All Pros may now upload as many full resolution photos as you can take. As always, photos can be up to 200 megabytes each, and videos can be up to 1 gigabyte.

Ad-Free Browsing.
Focus on what matters with a fully ad-free Flickr experience for you and your visitors.

Advanced Stats. See which of your photos are trending now, and which have performed the best over the life of your Flickr Pro account.

These are the new Pro-only features:

Premier Product Support.
Flickr Pros now receive priority assistance from our new world-class support team. You’ll go right to the front of the line when you need us at the Flickr Help Center.

More Partner Discounts.
We’ll be rolling out a suite of new discounts from our partners, including Creative Cloud from Adobe, 50% off a custom portfolio site on SmugMug, gear from Peak Design, and more. Be sure to check your Account Settings for all the perks available to you.Coming November

Advanced Stats on Mobile.
You’ll be able to track stats on your photos and your account for the first time from the Flickr apps. Coming November

Increased Exposure.
All Pro members as of January 1, 2019, are eligible for priority exposure in the next iteration of Explore. Coming early 2019.

New 5K Photo Display Option.
Your images will be beautifully optimized for any screen with display at resolutions up to 5K. Coming early 2019

10-Minute Videos.
Pros will be able to play back videos for up to 10 minutes, far more than the standard 3 that comes with free accounts.Coming early 2019

Learn more about Flickr Pro.

Flickr Free Accounts
Flickr Free members are essential to a vibrant, healthy Flickr. So we are determined to provide a free tier that allows anyone who is unable or unwilling to pay for Flickr Pro to meaningfully participate in, and contribute to, the Flickr community. Free accounts on Flickr are now for sharing and displaying your 1,000 best photos and videos.

If you fall in love with photography and Flickr, and want to store and share more photos, we ask you to upgrade to Flickr Pro, which gives you an unlimited number. To make this easier, now through the end of November we’re offering you 30% off your first year of Flickr Pro. This is without question the best deal in photography.

Free members with more than 1,000 photos and/or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over that limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, Free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos and/or videos will have content actively deleted—starting from oldest to newest date uploaded—to meet the new limit.

Read more about the Flickr Free decision here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don MacAskill replies in this thread:

1000 photo limit
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702923034264/7215769...
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702923034264/7215767...
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702923034264/7215770...

Deleting photos over the limit

Cost of storage and Amazon S3

Flickr Commons accounts

Grandfathered Pro pricing change

Flickr and SmugMug as separate products
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157703121536394/#reply7...

Financials

Flickr Pro compared to competitors

Flickr Support

Flickr community vs storage backup

Lapsed subs

Second Life and virtual photography

Flickr API, RAW storage, feature improvement

5K photo size

Non-Yahoo Login

Easter Egg for old school Pros
Posted at 5:48AM, 1 November 2018 PDT ( permalink )
adstads (staff) edited this topic 8 months ago.

(8701 to 8800 of 8837 replies in [Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans)
view photos

Nionyn_ says:

:
Flickr should somehow be preserving those photos threatened with deletion.
Who do you suggest should pay for that?
At the moment it's paying members like you and me. Are you willing to pay more for your account here in order to "save" those photos?

Otherwise the murder of the photographic record...
Seriously?
You do understand the meaning of the word "murder"?

Thousands or millions of photos are going to be wiped out.
Which is it, then - thousands or millions? There's a significant difference.

This action of willful destruction...
Get a grip.
Nothing is being destroyed. We're just talking about digital photos.
Unless the photographer is an idiot they (or their families) will have backups.
They're just being removed from Flickr.
Posted 4 months ago. ( permalink )
Nionyn_ edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

Irina Anko says:

Hello, anybody could help me to find an answer? I tryed to write to support center, but unfortanutely...Being a Flickr member from 2011, I just have uploaded about only 400photos-it is written in my profile. Now I can not upload anything, because Flickr is telling me, that I reached 1000 photos limit. Where you get these numbers???

view photos

hoxtonboy says:

Hi Irina. You have to be a pro member now if you want more then a 1000 Photos. It's been advertised for ages now. Pro is a paid service. Hope that helps. As for the support, don't get me started!!

Sorry I didn't reply directly, guess what the reply link didn't work.

view photos

Marta "999 Photos" Wojtkowska says:

Irina Anko:

I just have uploaded about only 400photos-it is written in my profile. Now I can not upload anything, because Flickr is telling me, that I reached 1000 photos limit.
First make sure that you do not have any private (non-public) photos. Go to your photostream page and carefully select [View all]. Does the total change?
If not, then your problem is caused by a glitch in Flickr's databases.
It was discussed here on HF several times and confirmed that nobody but Flickr's Support Heroes can help you. Contact them:
help.flickr.com/contact/contact-us-rkBc7roJQ

view photos

monkeyc.net says:

It always makes me laugh to see people holding google up as some bastion of freedom or right while they are basically data mining you for all you're worth. Seriously you think they make all that money from adwords?

view photos

Deepereyes says:

What is the deal with the supposed new and improved stats? I notice nothing new. Just the very poor stats they’ve always had for pro users.

view photos

Ashley.R.G says:

My free account is on 996 photos and it's staying there LOL

view photos

Jay Berg says:

I have two accounts - A Pro account and an old free account the I haven't been able to access for years and don't even want..

Now when I try to upload a photo to my Pro account the uploader loads the photo into the 'old' account. I have notified Flickr but have not yet received an help with this.
So i have paid for the pro account but am unable to use it. Any ideas?

view photos

ernstkers says:

Jay Berg:

A Pro account and an old free account the I haven't been able to access for years and don't even want.

You post her using a free account, so you are now signed into a free account.

Jay Berg:
when I try to upload a photo to my Pro account the uploader loads the photo into the 'old' account.

Photos are uploaded to the account you are signed in. Apparently you are now signed into your old free account.

Jay Berg:
So i have paid for the pro account but am unable to use it. Any ideas?

Sign out complete (including from Yahoo) and then sign into your pro account using the credentials of that account. Type those credentials in yourself, don't rely on credentials eventually stored in your browser or another file on your computer.

view photos

Kombizz says:

Don-MacAskill:

I try to put tags for my newly upload images. Unfortunately each time that I try to add tags or put them in an album it gives me an error, and do not add it.
I wonder what is going on?
Thanks

view photos

florriebassingbourn says:

Nionyn_:

I imagined that the commercial value of Flickr in the Yahoo days was all those interesting photos (as opposed to "me and my mates getting drunk") which have been uploaded to the site over the years - photos of places and noteworthy people, old photos scanned and made available and nicely tagged so users could search a tag and come up with eg shots of a particular military hospital circa 1917 from multiple contributors (an example I took part in myself - there must be hundreds of others). I supposed that whoever owns Flickr gets income from showing ads to casual visitors who drop in for information. The casual visitor might even open a free account and contribute his own photos on the subject and just leave them there for posterity.

As someone who has supported Flickr by being a paying member since Old Skool days, I think it would be a crying shame to discard such a wonderful database, which will include my own contributions when I drop dead. Such short-sightedness astounds me.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

florriebassingbourn:

That would all be wonderful, but someone would still have to pay for it.
My understanding is that Yahoo never managed to make advertising pay enough when they owned the place - and Yahoo were all about advertising.
SmugMug are not currently using or intending to use advertising to bring in money on Flickr.
So, again, it's down to you and me and the other paying members. How much more would you be willing to pay annually to keep other people's photos on Flickr forever?

Such short-sightedness astounds me.
It would be lamentable and far more short-sighted if Flickr were now to be run as a loss-making enterprise. That way the site would shut down and everyone's photos would go.
Nionyn_ edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

Quelab_NM says:

Is there any expanded option or lower price for Non-Profit Community organizations?

view photos

florriebassingbourn says:

Nionyn_:

I notice you're in Wales, so you might understand if I say the photo database, like many other resources, ought to be nationalised (on a global scale of course), or what they call in the US, a Not For Profit enterprise.

Given that's unlikely:

How much more would you be willing to pay annually to keep other people's photos on Flickr forever?

That's an ill-formed question. I'd be prepared to pay a bit more, like I pay my National Trust subscription even though I'm no longer able to visit their properties, but we're talking about when the original posters are dead, or similar, and no longer capable of making annual payments. I hope at least SmugMug will not literally delete the photos, just hide them, so that they could be used later on if someone comes up with a viable model. Then again, when we've used up all the fossil fuel, the electricity will dry up and nobody will be using computer technology.

view photos

Mr.LeeCP says:

Don-MacAskill,

In your announcement you tout the stats as an important element of a pro account. However your stats don’t work well. Over a month ago I sent in a help request regarding stats. The reply indicated that fixing stats was a top priority. A month has passed and there’s still problems. How long does a fix take?

Last night I uploaded a new photo to my page. Today when I look at the stats page the daily view is twice the total views. That doesn’t even make sense but is typical of what happens. And the question is which information is accurate?

If you are going to use stats as a benefit, then please make sure the information provided by the stats is correct. If it’s not, I wonder what I am paying for.

view photos

mcnod says:

Quelab_NM:

Is there any expanded option or lower price for Non-Profit Community organizations?

See this help article:
help.flickr.com/en_us/discounts-for-non-profit-organizati...
Click the link within that article and fill out the form to see if your organization qualifies.

view photos

Kombizz says:

Kombizz:

I am REALLY FED UP with these ERRORS that comes out more often that before.
EACH TIME that I try to add a tag, it gives me the following message:
==>Oops!
Error adding tag <===
WHAT IS GOING ON here !!
I NEED HELP.
Thanks

view photos

kmacgray says:

Kombizz:

This topic is not discussing problems adding tags. You are being replied to in your own topic for that issue:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157678516118088/

view photos

Oleg Kr says:

kmacgray:

This topic is not discussing problems adding tags.

Perhpas it is one of ongoing "improvements" discussing here, like hordes of bad pandas and other glitches introduced last weeks. Really, so bad service forced me to pay for 500px for the first time .

view photos

janetfo747 ~ Dreaming of Africa says:

When are we going to see explore photos that are chosen from all members? As a Pro in long standing i feel this is a fair question, one that i have asked for over and over.....Please advise. After all it is only fair.

thanks JanO

view photos

Kelly Cheng says:

It was announced that among the improvements in the pipeline would be getting rid of the Yahoo login requirement in January, however, it is February already. Any update please?

And the statistics, if that is touted as a Pro benefit, please improve on it. Right now if there is a spike of views, what I know is that 90% of the views come through Android or iOS, that is totally useless information. There must be a link somewhere to those photos and we need to know what.

view photos

k.broeste says:

I just found out that my pic before 2015 has been deleted, that was all my son's baby photos :( I have now upgraded to a pro version today, so can I get my pic back form before 2015?

view photos

Marta "999 Photos" Wojtkowska says:

k.broeste:

See www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157676293604137/7215768...

And please, try to stick to one thread.
Otherwise it really muddles the matter :)

view photos

Jin.H says:

why still use yahoo account??
where is "New Simple Login"

view photos

kmacgray says:

Jin.H:

It hasn't been released yet.

view photos

light amount says:

OK, I could use some help here from the Flickr staff. I've had accounts previously, back before the new rules, so admittedly I was a little spoiled once I came back last month. But what's frustrating is that I keep running into limits that are not publicized anywhere -- like only 20 flickrmails (temporary), only 3 groups, etc. Also, I've been unable to invite people to private groups; is this related to the temporary limits on new, free accounts?

All the press releases just talk about the 1,000 photos and the loss of 1 TB. But there are clearly many more limits.

So, please, what is the complete list of "limits" that are imposed on free accounts, especially the temporary ones related to flickrmail, groups, and more?

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

Pete P:

So, please, what is the complete list of "limits" that are imposed on free accounts

The limits that you speak of, groups, contacts, Flickr mails, sometimes also the number of pictures you can comment on or the number of Favorites you can add, apply to BOTH Free accounts and PRO accounts.

Those limits are put in place to prevent spammers doing their thing freely on here and have always existed.

Simply continue using your account in the normal way, uploading photos, commenting on people's stuff, adding favorites (but nothing like a rapid succession of comments and Faves, called "chain faving"), adding your photos to groups, sending out invites for your groups (some of those invites are actually received by the recipient) and in due time the spam filters will be lifted.
Staff does not publicize details seeing obviously those details would provide a handle for spammers to game the system.

belated edit to fix stupid typo
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

light amount says:

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito:

Thank you Mabel, but I'd really prefer to hear from the Flickr staff about this.

view photos

Pete P:

Thank you Mabel, but I'd really prefer to hear from the Flickr staff about this.

Then use this form:

help.flickr.com/contact/contact-us-rkBc7roJQ

(BTW, the fact that you would "prefer" to have a staff response is no reason to stop your fellow members from responding to your posts, seeing this is in fact mainly a user-to-user forum, put up for the purpose of users assisting each other - staff pop in now and then for pressing issues, but really nothing to count on.
As it says top left on page 1 of the Forum: " The Community Help Forum is a great place to start etc.")

view photos

light amount says:

I used that form 19 days ago, about the inability to invite people to groups, and have yet to receive a reply. A pretty simple question. Then I posted my own question here in the forum, and you (Mabel) were the only one who answered. So, 19 days in, I feel like I'm still in limbo. Hence my question here.

view photos

Pete P:

I feel like I'm still in limbo. Hence my question here.

Which is why I responded to you just now, telling you of my knowledge about limits imposed on (new) accounts (derived from previous questions in the past posed by users who encountered similar issues as you).

Pending any staff reply forthcoming, perhaps try following the advice I handed out, about using your account as an active user, and give it some time for the restrictions to ease. That has always been the counsel on here for those in your situation (judging from your reports).

EDIT: New members might even call themselves lucky that they are able to post in the Help Forum at all, with a view to an erstwhile measure where brand new accounts could not create new posts on here and had to wait for an unspecified time.

edited "new"

view photos

Culling Colas says:

Just got this email:

"Because we know how important that decision is, we’re giving free Flickr accounts with 1,000+ photos and videos another month to make a decision, whether it means upgrading to Flickr Pro (with unlimited storage) or downloading your photos onto a computer.

On March 12, 2019, any photos and videos over 1,000 on free Flickr accounts will be at risk for deletion."

Guess what that means?
People are not signing up because what Don said after buying flickr and waiting to preserve "billions of photos on it" and then doing an about face with a 'pay up or else' is a jerk move and most people saw right through it and are not paying up or supporting it.
They still haven't even got the login worked out and it is now well past due and you think promises will be kept? Sorry but flickr will fail due to this but the Pro people just keep defending him, ignorance isn't always bliss.

view photos

The North West Of Nowhere says:

janetfo747 ~ Dreaming of Africa:

When are we going to see explore photos that are chosen from all members? As a Pro in long standing i feel this is a fair question, one that i have asked for over and over.

I got three explored photos in the last three months... mind you I had only had two in the previous twelve... years.

I still don't know how it works and I actually don't care that much as, no matter what, whatever the algorithm, it will be somehow flawed.

view photos

Those limits are put in place to prevent spammers doing their thing freely on here and have always existed.

Incorrect.

view photos

Culling Colas:

Guess what that means?

Nope, but I guess you're about to tell us...

Culling Colas:
People are not signing up because what Don said after buying flickr and waiting to preserve "billions of photos on it" and then doing an about face with a 'pay up or else' is a jerk move and most people saw right through it and are not paying up or supporting it.

Right. I would actually love to see (although I guess it's virtually impossible) what were the conversion rates before SM bought flickr, after they bought flickr but before this thread begun, and finally since this thread/anouncement took place and today.

But, in contrast, also the rates for account deletion by the user, photo deletion by the user and "gone into dormant state" accounts (say more than a month of inactivity) for those three periods as well.

Culling Colas:
They still haven't even got the login worked out and it is now well past due and you think promises will be kept? Sorry but flickr will fail due to this but the Pro people just keep defending him, ignorance isn't always bliss.

Well, we all know these kind of things may always have some unexpected trouble along the way and, all in all, we're talking about millions of accounts, therefore I would give them some room for that.

However, it's their own word. They said they wanted to keep the photos but then this thread showed up. They said the new login would be ready for january (although it's a feature I couldn't care less about, but hey, it's one many people want) and it's not only not ready but it seems it's unknown when that will happen.

Well...

view photos

stevend5687 says:

Why am I unable to share photos on a message board on Chrome? What is going on? The share button that used to be located on the lower right hand corner below the picture is no longer there. Why???

view photos

light amount says:

"Simply continue using your account in the normal way ... and in due time the spam filters will be lifted.
Staff does not publicize details seeing obviously those details would provide a handle for spammers to game the system."

Do you speak from authority here? And if what you say is true, why couldn't flickr at least say as much? Because in my entire life I have never encountered a system where the parameters or limits are undisclosed and only arbitrarily relaxed. And I don't care if it's some sophisticated algorithm, it's still arbitrary to the user.

view photos

light amount says:

The North West Of Nowhere:

"MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito:

Incorrect."

Please explain further

view photos

kmacgray says:

Pete P:

where the parameters or limits are undisclosed

The anti-spam parameters are intentionally not disclosed to us members for obvious reasons. If they were publicly known, then they could be gamed and worked around by said spammers.

view photos

Pete P:

Do you speak from authority here?

If you continue doubting the responses from experienced members who have been hanging around here for many years and thereby picked up a thing or two (from inside knowledge, and from observation), then why post in this forum at all? Because this is a member-to-member forum, where staff only occasionally pop in, and if they do and then certainly not to provide the answers to these kinds of questions.

Pete P:
And if what you say is true, why couldn't flickr at least say as much?

For the obvious reasons that I already stated and repeated by kmacgray in post above.

Flickr typically won't issue messages like "Hey, you could be a spammer, sorry, but just wait a fortnight and then you can do your thing!"

Pete P:
I have never encountered a system where the parameters or limits are undisclosed and only arbitrarily relaxed.

How would you know?

Edited to add "Flickr typically etc."

view photos

GazH [ExPro] says:

Thanks Smug Mug (in case you read this) for the download all data option to get my photos rather than downloading everything through Organizr. This is appreciated and may lead to me returning to Pro at a date of my choosing (but not your deadline).

This is a positive step forward that they are taking the changes seriously and there is actual customer service.

view photos

Pete P:

OK, I could use some help here from the Flickr staff.

Do you speak from authority here?

See this post authored by me in a thread where people reported being limited when using certain Flickr features:

"From the reports mentioning a specific number of comments they can post, it sounds like some spam filter has been triggered on a large number of accounts."

See this post confirming my suggestion from the same thread, authored by staff:

"Thanks for fielding questions / suggestions.

We found the root cause (bad code check-in). The change is being reverted now. Basically, everybody was being limited as if they were a brand new user (which you all obviously aren't)"

[My bold, my underlining]

Post dating back to 2015, but limits as spam prevention have not changed (which you have noticed)

view photos

Pete P:

Please explain further

Those parameters have not been the same along the way, and some of them, such as the number of groups you may add your photos to, are only about 14-15 months old now.

Now, you can see she has not replied to me yet, therefore I might be right.

view photos

Those parameters have not been the same along the way, and some of them, such as the number of groups you may add your photos to, are only about 14-15 months old now.

The limit against creating groups has been in place for some three years now (and I bet my boots I could find even earlier threads):

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157668572471371/

Incorrect.

YOU are incorrect.

Here is a thread from 2009 dealing with limits to prevent spam:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/97765/#reply640591

Quote:
"I've been told to "slow down partner." What's up with that?

Welcome new member!

If you're reading this FAQ entry, it's very likely that you've bumped into one or more of the limits that we've had to put into place to combat spam on Flickr.

The fact that you're reading this makes it highly unlikely that spamming the Flickrverse was your intent and we don't mean to cast aspersions about your character. This message should clear by waiting a little time and trying again.

In the meantime, please feel free to continue to upload new photos, create sets, share your photos in groups and otherwise Explore! The more you share, the less likely you'll be to experience similar road blocks in the future.
"

There are more of those threads, dating back to well before 2009, those restrictions were in place when I joined, summer of 2007.

EDIT: Here is a thread dating back to 2007 where specific restrictions pertaining to groups were already introduced and discussed with staff:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/61332/

However, I am not going to waste my precious time to supply you with further proof, which will be impossible anyhow, after observing your ways from a variety of threads here and my opinion about you has been made up.

The person who questioned the limits has receive received the correct answers, backed by staff, from me, and that is all that counts.

Edited to add buddy icon and quote plus some typos which I had not noticed, nothing else changed

view photos

The limit against creating groups has been in place for some three years now (and I bet my boots I could find even earlier threads):

Did I mention any limit against creating groups? No, I did not. I mentioned the 30/60 groups per photo, and that limit was set in late 2017. You know it, I know it, we all know it. If you want to talk about something else, go ahead, do it, but it's not what I was talking about.

I was going to reply further to your comment but, all in all, with just that example it's enough for me to say, and prove, that you were incorrect.

P.S. Thank you for having an opinion about me. That's more than what I got about you.

view photos

Did I mention any limit against creating groups? No, I did not. I mentioned the 30/60 groups per photo, and that limit was set in late 2017.

Ah, well in that case you were totally off the mark since Pete P. was asking about the limit for creating groups, see his question here:

But what's frustrating is that I keep running into limits that are not publicized anywhere -- like only 20 flickrmails (temporary), only 3 groups, etc

That question is related to his original issue, in the topic he started fairly recently here:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702723610752/#reply7...

view photos

guidowerner says:

I mentioned the 30/60 groups per photo

But that isn't the kind of limits Pete P was talking about. He mentioned a limit of 20 flickr mails or the limitation of group creation to only three groups. These kinds of limits to my knowledge have allways been in place on Flickr for new users in order to prevent spam.

The 30/60 groups limit might be seen as some kind of spam prevention too. But it isn't a specific limit for new users and was officially announced by Flickr. Pete P. was talking about non-disclosed limits and was given accurate answers by MabelAmber and kmacgray.

view photos

I guess your opinion about me makes you not reading my comments properly. I said:

That means I talked about that particular limit as an example. I think it's obvious.

I'm yearning for your next comment.

view photos

guidowerner says:

That means I talked about that particular limit as an example. I think it's obvious.

Maybe it is a little bit pedantic. But the words "Those parameters" in Your comment referred to the parameters discussed in the preceeding comments. But then You gave the 30/60 limit as an example allthough it was not meant by the other users.
guidowerner edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

guidowerner:

But that isn't the kind of limits Pete P was talking about. He mentioned a limit of 20 flickr mails or the limitation of group creation to only three groups. These kinds of limits to my knowledge have allways been in place on Flickr for new users in order to prevent spam.

This.
Thank you.

guidowerner:

Maybe it is a little bit pedantic. But the words "Those parameters" in Your comment referred to the parameters discussed in the preceeding comments. But then You gave the 30/60 limit as an example allthough it was not meant by the other users.

This.
(Not pedantic.)

Thank you.

view photos

light amount says:

guidowerner:

"But that isn't the kind of limits Pete P was talking about. He mentioned a limit of 20 flickr mails or the limitation of group creation to only three groups. These kinds of limits to my knowledge have allways been in place on Flickr for new users in order to prevent spam.

The 30/60 groups limit might be seen as some kind of spam prevention too. But it isn't a specific limit for new users and was officially announced by Flickr. Pete P. was talking about non-disclosed limits and was given accurate answers by MabelAmber and kmacgray."

Well, thanks to all for the past few answers, and for opening the window a crack. But the issue is, when does a new user get full access to everything? It's the vagueness and arbitrariness that drives one crazy. I've kind of received vague general answers, but there must be some defined policy at flickr WHICH THEY ARE NOT DIVULGING. At least they could divulge the policy, rather than having us waste time speculating.

I have lots of old friends here at flickr. I can't reach out to them, or contact them, without flickrmail. I can't collaborate with them if I can't make a tailored group. So each day I twiddle my thumbs, send out a few more dead invitations, try (and fail) at sending out a few more flickrmails, wondering when the hell things will change.

And Mabel, while I appreciate your helpfulness, understand that I created several accounts four weeks ago and a few of them have been very active. Yet ... still unable to make invitations to private groups, still have limits on flickrmail, still this and still that. So unfortunately, it challenges your assertion that if you just prove you're not spam, flickr will eventually turn off the limits.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Pete P:

when does a new user get full access to everything

When the anti-spam limits ease.

At least they could divulge the policy

They do. From a long time ago, but still applicable today:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157629853963393/7215762...

view photos

guidowerner says:

Pete P:

I have lots of old friends here at flickr. I can't reach out to them, or contact them, without flickrmail. I can't collaborate with them if I can't make a tailored group.

I think Your situation is quite special because You are not new to Flickr although You created a new account. Usually a new user doesn't sent 20 Flickrmails per day or create more than three groups because new users at first will have to learn how Flickr works and then will need some time to find contacts. So Your activity pattern probably was quite different to the usual activity patterns of new accounts and therefore the spam prevention measures stopped You.

I fear that You must simply wait a little bit until the limits are lifted. It is typical for spam prevention measures that the exact behaviour is'nt revealed.

view photos

Pete P:

So unfortunately, it challenges your assertion that if you just prove you're not spam, flickr will eventually turn off the limits.

Are you actually "active" on your main account from which you are posting now? Are you indeed uploading pictures? (So far I only see nine) Are you commenting on your contacts' (13) pictures? Are you adding Faves? Are you adding new contacts?

(And as I said before, you will surely hit the limit if you go about sending Flickr mail, adding comments, adding faves, adding contacts at a rate which will trigger the filter.)

You may feel duped, and challenge our responses, but we cannot get much clearer, links to staff posts and all - are you reading those posts?.

view photos

janetfo747 ~ Dreaming of Africa says:

Feb 12, 2019
Here is my suggestion,

flickr;s new layout to adding a photo to a group is quite nice

I would like to see one enhancement added to it

If your photo is in a group, and you click on that group it automatically removes you photo from that group
I would like to see a pop up that confirms that is what you wish to do.

Thank You JanO

view photos

janetfo747 ~ Dreaming of Africa:

For suggestions you need to post in the Wish List where members add their own ideas, that is the thread staff are watching. this one:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157666189625037/page14/

view photos

light amount says:

guidowerner:
kmacgray:

Well, I thought I'd close out this discussion. Everything opened up after 30 days. No more restrictions. Wow, such a "sophisticated" algorithm. It opened up for all my new accounts (I created three), some of which were mostly inactive.

Thanks for the vigorous discussion anyway.

A final point. KMacGray, you said that Flickr divulged the policy and cited an old link. But don't you see that a comment from an admin 83 months ago does injustice to the verb "divulge"? I sent out a help desk request for a simple answer 26 days ago which was never answered; I had a vigorous one-on-one with Mabel in another forum stream, during which we tried this and that; and then I had to look for other forum streams, found this one, and wasted more time trying to get to the bottom of things. That is a lot of time wasted, by about 5 individuals, asking questions about things that Flickr already knew.

Sometimes I think that Flickr has lots of money and many talented hard working staff, but without enough adult supervision. Trust me, I've seen this elsewhere, smart young people working vigorously but with no view of the forest for the trees. They are like gerbils in a cage, spinning the cage vigorously but making no progress getting down the road.

Here's how a policy might read:

"Flickr imposes restrictions on the use of all new account in order to restricting spamming and other abuse. We deliberately do not divulge the details of these restrictions so the spammers cannot game the system. These include restrictions on the number of contacts you can make, the number of groups you may join, and the number of flickrmails you may send. Do not let these limits discourage you. They will be lifted once it is clear to our staff, and our internal algorithms, that you are a real human being using Flickr according to our use guidelines. So, please use your account and be as active as you can, uploading photos, joining other groups, commenting and faving other photos, and be patient.

"And, recognizing that all new users will be looking for a timeline, we do not have a fixed number of days, but most new accounts are fully unlocked between 15 and 60 days after account creation. This could be longer if the account is inactive.

"Finally, a warning to spammers is also appropriate here. If your new account shows evidence of spamming or otherwise being used in a fashion that doesn't adhere to our use guidelines, it will be deleted without warning."

view photos

kmacgray says:

Pete P:

Again, if you want to suggest a change in how a policy is spelled out, best to do it in the wish list thread which staff are watching.

view photos

Pete P:

I had a vigorous one-on-one with Mabel in another forum stream, during which we tried this and that; and then I had to look for other forum streams,

Um... just to have it right: it WAS established by me in that thread that you had run into the anti-spam filter.

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702723610752/#reply7...

The question then was simply how long you had to wait before they were lifted.

ED: As noted, best to post your suggestion about the "policy" thingy in the Wish List thread.

edited typo and "by me"

view photos

Arte da Tribo Produções says:

Não consigo contratar o Flickr PRO pelo Paypal - a opção de pagamento não funciona, quem pode me orientar?

view photos

Arte da Tribo Produções:

Google Translate is your friend:

translate.google.com

view photos

martian cat says:

I have a question...

I will have to renew my PRO soon.

How much is the annual fee to renew my PRO account?

A PRO account with Flickr last year was...
1 Year Flickr Pro... $24.95

What will a PRO account's annual fee be with SmugMug?

view photos

kmacgray says:

martian cat:

See the official topic, posted way back in August, where the changes to grandfathered pro account pricing were explained:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157699931347474/

view photos

The Searcher says:

martian cat: Your discounted Pro rate (50% off) expired last Fall, so you will now pay the same rate everyone else has been paying since 2015; $50 for one year.

If you live outside of the U.S., it'll be a bit more, depending on your local taxes.

view photos

martian cat says:

Thanks...

I think that now... I am set up for an automatic renewal for my PRO account.

view photos

Fergal... says:

Any change you could improve something about Flick.
Anything would do at this stage as a show of faith that your intend to make it better

view photos

light amount says:

kmacgray:

The wish list thread? I didn't know it existed. Is that better than sending in a help request? And if it is, then why isn't the wish list publicized under the "get help" tab?

view photos

kmacgray says:

Pete P:

The wish list thread was started by a member, then pinned to the top of the help forum by staff so they could keep an eye on it.

The contact form to reach customer support includes a feature request option.

You can use either of these options to present an idea or suggestion. Neither method will result in any guarantee of it being implemented. It might happen or it might not. Features are introduced based on business needs and usage data.

view photos

Irrational Photography says:

Hello Don-MacAskill kmacgray:

Can you please address the following?

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157706909654494/

Taking away the 1TB of free storage and limiting the uploaded pictures to 1000 is an obvious cost-cutting measure that will affect a small percentage of users

But can you please give a *detailed* rational for increasing the price on Pro accounts (doubling!?) soo much without giving value for money?

You tout discounts - for EXPENSIVE products people either already have or don't use, for products that bring SmugMug revenue, for products you get obvious kickbacks for

These are not discounts if you have to pay for them You are doubling our subscription and offering coupons in return.

You tout advanced stats, but see the link - the advanced stats are next to worthless and should actually be free as it appears that the analytics are available for everyone but are limited/excluded to free accounts (think of on the disk day 1 DLC you have to pay to receive a 65kb unlock file) - if not than there are obvious improvements you can make that should be on the top of the list that I have enumerated in the link and actually talked to support a year ago and have never seen any follow up.

There are a lot of things we bring forth, that support has said "Sure!" to but received silence.

Now we are seeing a Magnanimous price increase for features we have been using for a decade with Nothing more to show for

We Do not want a pittance of discounts with other companies - save that and improve your own platform,

Thank you
Irrational Photography edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

~andre says:

Irrational Photography:

If a restaurant you frequent doubles their prices, you don't picket that restaurant with demands of seeing full details of their books, but you just take your business elsewhere. Yes, it may be a great inconvenience to walk a few blocks to another restaurant, but it's their business and if most people consider such price hike unreasonable for their food and service, that restaurant will eventually close.

What's happening to Flickr is no different. Yahoo was giving away free "meals" for years and SmugMug cannot. Nobody can, really, even Yahoo couldn't, but Marissa Meyer was just too dumb on her high horse to understand that.

It is absolutely good for the site and the community to make your voice heard, but at some point each of us has to make a choice to either make the best of what we were offered for the price or take our business elsewhere. These are the choices.

view photos

~andre [www.flickr.com/photos/donmacaskill/] Don-MacAskill:

There is no other alternative

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157703109362795/

Aside from from Analytics - this does not address the doubling of the price.

This is not a restaurant, but to put it in your terms - I am making the food and serving it to them, and paying them for the privilege. They are also getting revenue out of the foot traffic.

I am hoping that the food I make attracts people to my cooking.

I am paying for a service and foot traffic to have analytics of who what and where people come from to better understand my market and capitalise on that. I would like to say that PRO members have better visibility - but look at any of the dozen threads discussing that no, no they do not and the system is not functioning.

The establishment is doubling its prices and offering nothing in return other than coupons for me to spend more and bring the restaurant more revenue. It's insulting.

So yes, it is a VERY good question and one which demands answering "Where is the money going? We are not seeing any improvements"

Even worst, we are scuffed at for even asking these questions and bringing up all the issues.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Irrational Photography:

this does not address the doubling of the price

The price didn't double though.

You were getting a 50% discount from when the prices changed for new pro accounts in 2015.

Staff said at that time you'd be getting that discount for two years, but you ended up getting it for three.

So since 2015, you were paying half of what first-time pro accounts were paying. In 2018, the price didn't double for you. It's just that your discount ended, so now you (and me) are paying what everyone else has been paying.

That's only fair.

Where is the money going? We are not seeing any improvements

Have you read the very first post of this thread, which spells out major changes that are in development?

view photos

kmacgray:
Don-MacAskill:

I have, So let me address them point by point, most of these have already been addressed by others:

New Simple Login!
A Returning to how it was before, this is not new, this is how it originally was, but sure, pat yourself on the back

Unlimited Photos
Pro photographers do not upload their full resolution photograph, do not upload tiffs and keep them as jpegs, 1tb goes a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way. (More details below)

Ad-Free Browsing
As far as I am concerned this is not new. You'd also be hard pressed to find people without an ad blocker

Advanced Stats.
Call it what you want, they are just "stats" and do not touch anything outside flickr, even though they are able, see my previous posts. I don't need Stats to figure out that 95% of search terms are "boobs" "nude" "teen asian girl oil panties Vietnam naked"

Premier Product Support.
That rests to be seen, I am expecting a lot more than the standard "Your concerns have been noted" lets not kid ourselves, responses like that are BS.

More Partner Discounts.
Again, you are offering coupons for expensive products people either already own or shy away from because they are still expensive. Specifically Adobe, you can not use them on individual products, you have to buy EVERYTHING including InDesign and others people don't use for photography. We don't care about printing our pictures on tote bags and mugs - we can just do that at CVS or Costco and save on time and shipping. These are coupons we get for paying a lot more. It's insulting and useless and has been adress by other users.

Advanced Stats on Mobile
See above comment

Increased Exposure.
See the dozens of threads in regards to that

New 5K Photo Display Option
No professional will use this because nobody wants their photos stolen. Even if you block downloads all you have to do is inspect element and copy paste the direct image link into your browser, this is not rocket science, I have had MANY pictures end up on Russian and Indian sites that charge users to download my photos. How about you secure your site instead of making it easier for people to steal your images?

10-Minute Videos
Okay? Thanks I guess, but try sharing a flickr link to prospective clients "What, I need to sign up to something else?" I know you don't need to but everyone uses and recognises YouTube. This is the Zune of features. Ms Soccer Mom will not load up a video from flickr on her iPad. It's new strange and confusing. She will do so for YouTube. And lets be frank, I have seen VERY few flickr videos. Not saying they do not exist, but YouTube has this covered with a lot more features than flickr could ever, or even want to, implement.

view photos

~andre says:

Irrational Photography:

I am making the food and serving it to them, and paying them for the privilege. They are also getting revenue out of the foot traffic.
Yes, customers of a pot-luck style restaurant would feel the pain much more because many will think that they co-own the place, but they don't. It's still a business and they don't own their contributors anything.

Having said that, I will add that any business that cultivates community style operation and then change their policies will suffer more than a regular business because people who think they are co-owners of sorts feel betrayed, as it is happening now, but it never was the case really.

Irrational Photography:
"Where is the money going? We are not seeing any improvements"
When SmugMug becomes a publicly traded company, yes, they will publish their earnings. Until then, they are a private business and users are not entitled to see their books. No matter how much they think they contributed.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Irrational Photography:

Why are you including me in your replies to Don?

view photos

~andre:

I do not really care or asking about earnings - and this may just be me - I am specifically asking "You are charging us more. We are not seeing a concurrent increase in quality. Why is that?"

I have addressed the "Better flickr" point by point just above this post.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Irrational Photography:

We are not seeing a concurrent increase in quality.

In your opinion, when should the improvements outlined in this topic be completed?

You still do not appear to understand what is happening with the site here, even after it has been spelled out in detail.

view photos

~andre says:

Irrational Photography:

"You are charging us more. We are not seeing a concurrent increase in quality. Why is that?"
They don't owe anybody even that. Vote with your feet if you don't feel you are getting your money's worth of service. .

I can tell you from my own experience what they are likely going through, but this is just my speculation, so you can just ignore everything that follows.

They have a huge code base in the order of a few million lines of code that spans decades. Some of the code is brilliant and some of it is crap and only a couple of people, if they are lucky, understand it all. They also move all of their infrastructure from Yahoo servers into a completely different infrastructure that operates under different conditions and rules. Until they move all of it completely, they cannot introduce anything new or even fix much - that would be a wasted effort. This means that for months we will be seeing sporadic outages and no new functionality until they are done. In fact, we are seeing far fewer outages that I would expect for this kind of an epic move.

So, if you feel like continuing your crusade, good luck. Everyone has the right to make their opinion heard.

view photos

kmacgray:

Then make me understand

I have detailed grievances we are having - I am not the only one, LOOK instead of telling people to post elsewhere, Not respond, and when you do exclaim " You don't understand" is incredibly insulting and bad consumerist support which would get your written up in any retail environment. IF we don't understand, YOU have not being explaining it correctly. It is YOUR job to communicate the company's intentions succinctly

The responses have been "Read the post, you don't understand" - The post is the problem.

Help me understand why you thought I was a good idea to spend time changing where to access FlickrMail from, Why you do not have any way to immediately know if you actually have new mail like EVERY single other Forum or Platform on the web

"Just click your profile icon" - No. No that's not the point - The Point is that you're supposed to have a Visual Notification that you have Mail WITHOUT having to do any extra clicks. The Previous system worked, this one does not.

view photos

~andre:

But they find it a good idea to spend time going through said code and changing where to access FlickrMail from? So now you do not have any way to immediately know if you actually have new mail like EVERY single other Forum or Platform on the web.

Time well spent. (That was sarcasm)

view photos

ernstkers says:

Irrational Photography:

It is YOUR job to communicate the companies intentions succinctly

You are not addressing staff, but another member just like you are.

view photos

Irrational Photography:

IF we don't understand, YOU have not being explaining it correctly. It is YOUR job to communicate the companies intentions succinctly

kmacgray is not staff, but a member like you and I.
Staff are clearly identifiable by the gray-blue background to their posts and the word "Staff" written in blue and underlined by pink below their buddy icon.

view photos

ernstkers:

Then he should stop masquerading as an authority figure - heck, his testimonial even says that he is a Contact with Flickr "for years". He may not say he is one, but he sure acts as though he does.

----

And that a problem I have been mentioning over and over - Where is the Staff!? - We are directed to post in these forums but are getting no answer or support! Only other users!

view photos

kmacgray says:

Irrational Photography:

It is YOUR job to communicate the companies intentions succinctly

Why? I don't work for Flickr.

Help me understand why you thought I was a good idea to spend time changing where to access FlickrMail

Okay.

With the old method, the link to FlickrMail was located in two different places. On old stack (pre-2013 site redesign) pages, the link was under the buddy icon menu.

On new stack (post-2013 site redesign) pages, the link was under the notifications bell menu.

So, depending on what type of page you were on, you'd have to remember where that link was. This is bad UI design.

With the change, they have now made it consistent so that no matter what type of page you are on, the FlickrMail link is always under the buddy icon menu. This is good UI, because the user no longer has to remember where the link is on different pages. It's always in the same place now. This is an improvement in usability.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's now consistent.

Then he should stop masquerading as an authority figure

Just an FYI that comments like that could be reported as abuse.

heck, his testimonial even says that he is a Contact with Flickr "for years"

It doesn't say that at all.

Since you are looking at my account, that comment in my testimonial is from one of my Flickr contacts, who is just another Flickr member, not staff. The comment means HE AND I have been Flickr contacts for years.

(Contacts is what Followers used to be called in case you didn't know.)

view photos

ernstkers says:

Irrational Photography:

Then he should stop masquerading as an authority figure

You can post here your opinion. Any other member can post their opinion too. It's not required that other members agree with you or keep their mouth if they disagree with you. You are not in the position to tell others if or what they post here.

view photos

Irrational Photography:

This is how a staff post looks - notice the gray blue background and the word staff underlined by pink:

Flickr staff post</a

view photos

~andre says:

Irrational Photography:

I've been critical of many of the Flickr's changes since 2013 and wouldn't defend many of their design choices and could point out a few technical blunders without thinking much. Yes, they have problems, but this is not the point here. Is this the hill you are going to die on? Is it really worth losing your sleep over?

view photos

~andre:

okay, we're going around in circles now.

My issue is that I and many others have several grievances with the site that are not being responded to or addressed.

In efforts to get heard (because posting in "official" pages leads to nothing) Yes, I am making more noise.

And all we are getting is the same couple of users essentially telling us to be quiet.

By telling us to post elsewhere and then be ignored

By responding that "we just don't understand"

By attempting to discredit us

By attempting to make us question our own motivations.

It is VERY easy to see why issues are not getting though single posts in regards to an issue go unanswered or directed elsewhere, the vast majority of people baulk at the responses and not push further.

So this is what I am doing.

Pushing the issue further.

ADDED:

BY DELETING OUR POSTS when they are caught being hypocritical (upload of screenshots happening soon)

Deleted Comment

Veiled Threat

Hypocritical comment if also Deleted

Showing this same thread with my comment mysteriously gone.

EVEN MORE DELETIONS:

Comment deleted after calling out Deleted Comment

When directly called out about deleting my comment

Guy, you're digging yourself further.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Irrational Photography:

Please also note that it is a weekend and staff do not typically respond here on weekends unless there's an emergency.

You are welcome to push, but there's no guarantee of a reply.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Irrational Photography:

Where is the Staff!? - We are directed to post in these forums but are getting no answer or support! Only other users!

This is primarily a member to member forum, as noted on the front page. Staff do pop in from time to time, but there is unfortunately no regular staff presence here (which is something I've been requesting for years). In the old days, they used to be here more often.

If you wish to have a one on one conversation with customer support to report an issue of whatever, you need to contact them directly.

view photos

~andre says:

Irrational Photography:

It is VERY easy to see why issues are not getting though single posts in regards to an issue go unanswered or directed elsewhere, the vast majority of people baulk at the responses and not push further.

So this is what I am doing.
You will be more successful in this if you focus on the technical aspects of what you are fighting for and ignore side conversations. At the end of the day, Flickr staff will likely hear those who attracts more users thinking the same and not the few loudest ones. Keep that in mind.

view photos

~andre:

That's exactly what I am saying. Most people will stop after being deflected, being easy to ignore. If staff actually responded and participated in user issues being raised, there would be no need for this as those issues would already be addressed.

But Deflecting and ignoring is easy to do and does not require addressing.

The very first thing I posted in regards to flickr, the very first comment was deflected and then buried in another thread until I started pushing the issue further.

And when I responded point by point directly to them about me "not reading the post" - it was ignored and instead answered by "You just don't understand"

This is a problem. Can't you see?

And when all else fails - Start Deleting Comments I guess?

view photos

~andre says:

Irrational Photography:

Most people will stop after being deflected, being easy to ignore.
I think you are missing me. A lone protester in front of a building (brick or virtual) will not make a difference. A lone and extremely loud protester will be sanctioned. Only a large group of people protesting against the same thing will be heard. if you want to get something changed that is not a bug, but a conscious design decision that you don't agree with, only a bunch of users saying the same will make a difference. Not a single loud and continuously being more and more aggravated voice.

view photos

~andre:

Those other protesters are being told to "protest over there" because they're more ignorable, then they shrug and give up.

When more people show up they are being told "it has already been addressed" by the same people who were deflected. So yeah, no wonder there are no protesters when they are being fanned away.

Sanctioned? For what? it seems as though you are telling me to stop raising issues people are dissatisfied with "or else"

Excuse me? Am I getting that right? Not only am I doing as directed and posting in this thread, but there is an insinuation that wanting to be heard shall result in punishment?

Can we instead address the fact they are deleting comments as proven here:

And I am the one being told to "stay quiet or you will be reported"

view photos

~andre says:

Irrational Photography:

Excuse me? Am I getting that right? Not only am I doing as directed and posting in this thread instead of spamming, but there is an insinuation that wanting to be heard shall result in punishment?
It was just a suggestion of what actually might work in your quest. I tried and it didn't work. Have it your way.

view photos

Pianowerk says:

Irrational Photography:

read your observations, comments etc. You can carp on endlessly in the forum but it's unlikely to get a staff response. Those who help in the forum have given you many hints, answers etc. Chill a bit. I would say that your chosen name is apposite.

view photos

i eaт sтars says:

Is there a way to bulk download all photos past the 1,000 mark?

I just logged into Flickr for the first time in awhile and was shocked to see this. I was not notified at all and have valid emails hooked up to the account. Quite an eye opener...really glad I came by.

view photos

kmacgray says:

i eaт sтars:

On your account settings page, you can request all of your Flickr data. This can take a while if you have a lot of stuff and there are many reports of it not working reliably.

You can also download in bulk using Camera Roll.

I was not notified at all

Every Flickr member was notified by email back in November. Perhaps try checking the spam / junk folder in your email application.

view photos

pacfolly says:

Such BS and I'm glad that at this point all of my photos are now transferred over to Tumblr. It took so many hours but I'm not paying to be extorted. That doesn't mean that my contributions to the community aren't valid, either. I never used Flickr for a dumping ground but instead as a repository for the very best photos I've taken but that still means I'm over the limit. This site is going to slowly die even faster now and the already mass exodus is only going to get worse. Congrats to all users willing to pay likely higher and higher fees to keep all your content alive here but know that it doesn't mean it's any better or more deserving than a great deal of the photographs from free users who are simply unwilling to play the acquisition upgrade game. It's been a nice (over a) decade but see you later, Flickr. Good luck; you'll need it.

view photos

NDLineGeek says:

Don-MacAskill:

My belief that the change to the free accounts should have been announced as 'the greater of 1000 pictures, or X GB (say, 50)'.

That would make a lot more sense to savvy folk. I can't fault Flickr / Smugmug for having to get on top of storage costs, given its size (ipernity recently had to do a similar space reduction), but I wish it could have been handled a bit more gracefully.

(8701 to 8800 of 8837 replies in [Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads