Images blacked out
Latest: 3 hours ago
Cannot reset Yahoo password
Latest: 3 hours ago
View count: The total number of views are not showing
Latest: 4 hours ago
How do I delete a photo?
Latest: 6 hours ago
Workaround to get back to the old Stats display??
Latest: 6 hours ago
Tagging not working
Latest: 7 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

Hi all,

Today we announced important changes to Flickr’s Pro and Free accounts. I also posted an update on all of the wonderful improvements we’ve been hard at work building. I know this is a lot of change to take in, and we blogged about why we’ve made some of these important decisions. These updates allow us to focus on Flickr’s strengths as the world’s largest photographer-focused community where you can discover and connect with the best photography and photographers on the planet.

These changes are significant and important to the future of Flickr, so I’m here to discuss them and answer questions where I can. I believe it’s important that the community understands where we’re coming from and how hard we’re working to build amazing things for photographers using Flickr. I believe this is the right path forward to build a bright, exciting, sustainable future for Flickr and ensure the platform can continue to shape the world of photography for years to come.

Don MacAskill
Chief Geek & CEO
SmugMug & Flickr

The Changes

New Simple Login!
Coming in January, there will be no need for a Yahoo account to use Flickr. Login is the number one complaint we receive through our Help Center, so we’re happy to free you to use any email you prefer to access Flickr.

Flickr Pro Accounts
Flickr Pro is better than ever. At less than half the cost of Apple, Amazon, or Google, it’s the best deal in photography — hands down. In addition to access to the world's largest photography-focused community, Pros receive these perks:

Unlimited Photos
All Pros may now upload as many full resolution photos as you can take. As always, photos can be up to 200 megabytes each, and videos can be up to 1 gigabyte.

Ad-Free Browsing.
Focus on what matters with a fully ad-free Flickr experience for you and your visitors.

Advanced Stats. See which of your photos are trending now, and which have performed the best over the life of your Flickr Pro account.

These are the new Pro-only features:

Premier Product Support.
Flickr Pros now receive priority assistance from our new world-class support team. You’ll go right to the front of the line when you need us at the Flickr Help Center.

More Partner Discounts.
We’ll be rolling out a suite of new discounts from our partners, including Creative Cloud from Adobe, 50% off a custom portfolio site on SmugMug, gear from Peak Design, and more. Be sure to check your Account Settings for all the perks available to you.Coming November

Advanced Stats on Mobile.
You’ll be able to track stats on your photos and your account for the first time from the Flickr apps. Coming November

Increased Exposure.
All Pro members as of January 1, 2019, are eligible for priority exposure in the next iteration of Explore. Coming early 2019.

New 5K Photo Display Option.
Your images will be beautifully optimized for any screen with display at resolutions up to 5K. Coming early 2019

10-Minute Videos.
Pros will be able to play back videos for up to 10 minutes, far more than the standard 3 that comes with free accounts.Coming early 2019

Learn more about Flickr Pro.

Flickr Free Accounts
Flickr Free members are essential to a vibrant, healthy Flickr. So we are determined to provide a free tier that allows anyone who is unable or unwilling to pay for Flickr Pro to meaningfully participate in, and contribute to, the Flickr community. Free accounts on Flickr are now for sharing and displaying your 1,000 best photos and videos.

If you fall in love with photography and Flickr, and want to store and share more photos, we ask you to upgrade to Flickr Pro, which gives you an unlimited number. To make this easier, now through the end of November we’re offering you 30% off your first year of Flickr Pro. This is without question the best deal in photography.

Free members with more than 1,000 photos and/or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over that limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, Free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos and/or videos will have content actively deleted—starting from oldest to newest date uploaded—to meet the new limit.

Read more about the Flickr Free decision here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don MacAskill replies in this thread:

1000 photo limit
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702923034264/7215769...
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702923034264/7215767...
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702923034264/7215770...

Deleting photos over the limit

Cost of storage and Amazon S3

Flickr Commons accounts

Grandfathered Pro pricing change

Flickr and SmugMug as separate products
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157703121536394/#reply7...

Financials

Flickr Pro compared to competitors

Flickr Support

Flickr community vs storage backup

Lapsed subs

Second Life and virtual photography

Flickr API, RAW storage, feature improvement

5K photo size

Non-Yahoo Login

Easter Egg for old school Pros
Posted at 5:48AM, 1 November 2018 PDT ( permalink )
adstads (staff) edited this topic 6 months ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 88 89
(1 to 100 of 8,831 replies in [Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans)
view photos

Bob90901 says:

Bye Flickr!
Posted 6 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Billy '76 says:

Rest in peace Flickr.

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Don-MacAskill:

10-Minute Videos.
Pros will be able to play back videos for up to 10 minutes, far more than the standard 3 that comes with free accounts.Coming early 2019

I can't even successfully upload a 90 sec. 500 MB video now. So should I believe the situation will be much better with a 10 min video? Who in the world has patience to watch a 10 min boring video. 10 min videos are for cinematographers who know what they are doing. It's not for watching the same clip.

Don't you have more pressing things to fix? I mean, even though I would never upload a 10 min video (people tend to skip videos), I would be very happy if a less than a min long video would successfully upload without me having to degrade it from my original 700 MB to 250 MB!.

I think long videos are better left for Vimeo. They know what they are doing in that department.

If the site works flawlessly and you guys run out of ideas, then maybe you can play with the video thing.

As far as beautifying Explore, great; but it's also not the most pressing fix to do or idea to implement.

But whatever....

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

ColetteSimonds:

I can't even successfully upload a 90 sec. 500 MB video now. So should I believe the situation will be much better with a 10 min video?

Thanks for the feedback. This is definitely a problem. Uploading, fast and error-free, is something we're hard at work on. It's something *I* am personally hard at work on. I wrote a blog post about exactly this a few days ago.

view photos

justingreen19 says:

Allowing free users to only upload a 1,000 images is a bit tight, but at the end of the day, its a business and you have to make a profit.

I used to be a pro member, but I got nothing back from my subscription, and the community spirit that Flickr had, slowly diminished. Personally, I can't see it coming back either.

view photos

stagedoor says:

It looks like some reasons to stay with PRO are coming through, but Ihope these (especially the discounts given the removal of grandfathered rights) are not just for new sign-ups, ignoring the faithful who have stuck with flickr for many years.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Don-MacAskill:

Hi Don!

Thanks for spelling all this out. I'm a SmugMug Premium member and aware of your excellent customer service and overall product, so I have confidence Flickr is in the right hands. I figured some big overdue changes were bound to happen, I mean, for a while now Flickr has been far cheaper with more features than virtually every other photo sharing site in the space (excluding places like Facebook where WE are the product).

I wish Flickr well and look forward to the new focus. I'm certainly here to stay, I hope my fellow Flickrites are able to come along for the ride too.

Onward!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

justingreen19:

I used to be a pro member, but I got nothing back from my subscription, and the community spirit that Flickr had, slowly diminished. Personally, I can't see it coming back either.

Thanks for being a Pro member in the past, and thanks for the feedback. We're all hard at work invigorating the community, so my fingers are crossed that we might win you back. Certainly trying hard!

view photos

Billy '76 says:

Is this going to be like the old days when only your latest 200 photos were displayed, but the others were still stored on the site (but inaccessible)? Or are the oldest photos going to actually be deleted from the server?

view photos

justingreen19 says:

Don-MacAskill:

I wish you and the team all the best in turning this around Dan.

view photos

Lensjoy says:

I'm really worried that your decision to cap free accounts at 1K photos will decimate your membership and, consequently, Flickr will quickly lose its relevance. There are still many great photographers (including renowned professionals) with free accounts over 1K photos--I highly doubt the majority of them will start coughing up for pro accounts, they already have their content duplicated elsewhere (own websites, Instagram, FB, 500px etc.). Don't make them go away, you will greatly diminish the attractiveness of this site!
Also, this will restrict the CC photo archives donated by public institutions (many use free accounts).
Lensjoy edited this topic 6 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

stagedoor:

It looks like some reasons to stay with PRO are coming through, but Ihope these (especially the discounts given the removal of grandfathered rights) are not just for new sign-ups, ignoring the faithful who have stuck with flickr for many years.

I'm extremely grateful for all of the old school Flickr Pro customers. They got us to where we are today. In fact, just between you and me (shhh!), there might be an easter egg hiding in your account settings just for you because we love you so much. Thanks for coming on this journey together, I promise it's going to keep getting even better.

view photos

handy turn says:

This is utterly disgraceful and means the end of Flickr for free users.Flickr should be ashamed of themselves.Money matters more to them than continuing a photo sharing site.

view photos

BlueisCoool says:

What a stab in the back to the free account holders.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

I wish Flickr well and look forward to the new focus. I'm certainly here to stay, I hope my fellow Flickrites are able to come along for the ride too.

Thanks for your vote of confidence! You rock and we love you. :)

view photos

kmacgray says:

Billy '76:

It sounds like content will actually be deleted and not hidden.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

susie495:

Money matters more to them than continuing a photo sharing site.

Actually, it's the opposite. Photo sharing sites don't grow on trees, they require money to support and grow, and I deeply believe the Flickr community wants to see Flickr grow again. That's what I hear constantly from the Flickr members I've talked to over the last few months. We're excited to be a big part of that future growth and I hope you will be, too.

view photos

guidowerner says:

kmacgray:

Quotation from the original post:

After February 5, 2019, Free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos and/or videos will have content actively deleted—starting from oldest to newest date uploaded—to meet the new limit.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

Billy '76:

Is this going to be like the old days when only your latest 200 photos were displayed, but the others were still stored on the site (but inaccessible)? Or are the oldest photos going to actually be deleted from the server?

In my post opening the topic, I said: "Free members with more than 1,000 photos and/or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over that limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, Free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos and/or videos will have content actively deleted—starting from oldest to newest date uploaded—to meet the new limit."

view photos

stagedoor says:

But the site HAS to make a profit to survive and 1,000 is fairly generous, five times that when under Yahoo.

It just means that the minority (according to above) who have more than that will have to curate their content, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

view photos

Miss Blackflag says:

kmacgray:

according to the blog in feb they will begin deleting old images until you reach the new max

view photos

pretty mandible says:

I have to disagree with flickr's decision to delete photos from existing free accounts. Flickr has become an wonderful Repository for some amazing photography. It would be a crime to see many photos, including family memories, deleted forever. Please do not delete any photos. You can still deny them the ability to upload additional photos. It would be a crime to delete even a single image.

view photos

Miss Blackflag says:

how can we access the ability to download our content? i would like to get my stuff off of here as soon as possible so i do not risk losing it (some images i no longer have thanks to hard drives failing over the years). i have been a long time user of flickr, as a place to store my photography as well as a place to showcase my digital artwork and found a thriving community that taught me so much about mastering that artwork, you will find you have alienated a very large swath of your users with this decision. i can easily make a gallery on my own domain to show off my work, i was only here for the community, and now that will cease to be.

view photos

Christopher Elliot Taylor says:

RIP Flickr. This is a death knell for sure. Seems kinda random and exceedingly low and a greedy grab to get folks to sign on to pro. I feel like if I have to pay for something, I should get something in return, not necessarily more ways to spend more money (i.e., discounts on partners). Is this new exposure going to be in the form of google hits or just more exposure within Flickr? I understand that there are costs involved in running Flickr, but this seems like you just want to do away with the free accounts by making them so unappealing that people will either pay for pro, or just leave, already! I think I may finish out the year with my current projects and in the mean time, try to find another place to put my photos. This makes me sad, but maybe it's a good thing and kick me in the ass and finally find a pro site that is really pro; you know, one that can host a website that is searchable in the real world, like google or bing and not just Flickr world.

Thanks for the memories and so long!

view photos

handy turn says:

Flickr claim this is a step forward.No it's not,it's a money making scheme which will earn them money but stop amateurs posting photos.
As soon as one of my images is removed I will leave.

view photos

Daire Quinlan says:

I've always been in it for the groups. I've had some ... esoteric ... interests over the 12 years or so I've had a pro account. Between here and APUG/Photrio there's almost always someone who has had some experience doing something similar and, if not, it's time to start a group. That said, that 100% increase is a bit of a wet finger in the ear moment...

view photos

Belfast Bus and Coach Photos says:

i am absolutely disgusted with Flickr I have been a long time free user of Flickr as I don't have the funds to pay for a Flickr Pro account and I free users are being punished and are being Blackmailed in to signing up to Flickr Pro I think it would be safe to say that Flickr will lose a lot of users and will shot them self s in the foot

view photos

~ john ~ says:

I have a Free account
I have over 15,000 images here.
I have a keen interest in photography
I run a couple of large'ish groups here.
Not all of us can or want to be Pro users but yeah I get that storage is expensive.
I have to decide now whether to whittle down my images to 1000 or just leave. My gut feeling says leave, which is a shame as I've been a paying and free member since 2010.
Surely online sharing is all about exposure and the more exposure a person can get the better. I think this might just decimate the membership, which can't be good can it?

view photos

Jakub Z says:

This is the end of Flickr, the end of what has up to now been the photo hosting website of choice for myself and so many others.

Yes, they will make a profit, but at the cost of thousands of customers never using it again and switching to other platforms. Today is a sad day at least for me and my friends who will also stop using Flickr.

view photos

Photographybyjw says:

The system will not take my updated CC, is there a problem?

view photos

Freggs says:

1000 Photos? 80% of the users I've encountered are free users with well and beyond 1000 photos in their accounts. This is a clear shot in the foot tactic used by SmugMug they likely had planned for Flickr for when they took over it, i cannot foresee a different future for Flickr than a baron wasteland of a website ecosystem.
If you have any ideas of a good alternative to Flickr please do reply as ill most likely need them.

If by some miracle this update is reverted i will be happy continuing the positive experience on this website so far, it's just not going to be *as* fun knowing there's downgrades like these looming above our heads that could drop at any moment.

It's been very good to me but from what i can see this looks like a goodbye.

view photos

davidmold says:

I think it's fair enough that Flickr wants to make money, but this move seems to actually cut off the very resource which offers that possibility. It seems highly implausible that Flickr will be able to attract new users with an offer like "host up to 1,000 images for free!" and you guys at Flickr must be painfully aware of that rather obvious truth.

view photos

Rabican-BUSY says:

So long Flickr.

I get that you have a business to run, I get that $50/year is not a big deal but.. How on earth can you force people to PAY for such bad service? I mean, really now.. Force me to pay even ONE PENNY for getting pandas 10-15 times per day? for comments that are not posted?? c'mon.

do you REALLY think that forcing people to go Pro after all these years that the Free edition was offering a TB of storage is the right way to revive this slowly dying community? REALLY?

bye bye Flickr.

PS: i did pay Pro for a couple of months. I never felt like I was getting anything more so I quit. I am not going Pro for something that sucks so bad. I am not willing to pay for "Bad bad Pandas". You guys should FIRST fix all these problems and THEN ask people to go Pro.

BAD BAD decisions.. not just Pandas..

view photos

Jakub Z says:

Freggs:

f you have any ideas of a good alternative to Flickr please do reply as ill most likely need them.

Yes please, any nice alternative would be most welcome

view photos

Christopher A. Dominic says:

What will happen to accounts that have >1000 images with a CC license, which have greatly contributed to the CC image library on Flickr today?

view photos

guidowerner says:

Freggs:

If you have any ideas of a good alternative to Flickr please do reply as ill most likely need them.

Do You mean an alternative where You get 1 TB, can upload high quality original photos and have to pay nothing?

Sorry, but I don't think that such an alternative exists.
guidowerner edited this topic 6 months ago.

view photos

~ john ~:

I think you're right about the online exposure, but is Flickr really good exposure anywhere else except on Flickr? A google search will not yield Flickr pictures (unless you type in Flickr along with the image search) so how is that good? I have loved Flickr because of the seemingly complete lack of trolls and overall good nature of peoples' comments and what not so I will miss it!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

Canadian with a camera:

Flickr has become an wonderful Repository for some amazing photography. It would be a crime to see many photos, including family memories, deleted forever. Please do not delete any photos.

I believe most people would pay $50/year to keep their priceless photos, like their family memories, safe. And many, many people do that on Flickr today. Flickr is a place for people who care about photography, and typically you pay something for the arts & crafts you're passionate about.
adstads (staff) edited this topic 6 months ago.

view photos

generalstussner says:

I read about the changes and got excited.. finally some improvements to flickr?
I read on and it felt more like a stab in the back for me as an "old" Flickr Pro user.
I am here since 2009, loved the site and community.. there were a lot of changes, many not for the better.. but I stayed loyal. The interaction got way less (pretty good blog post about this btw).
Recently I was using flickr more again, but then the old pro accounts got a massive price hike without any benefit...
So i quit pro after years of paying for it.

Now there are some improvements which are a good start I guess.
But.. for me as an old user, with about 1600 images on here.. more than a third will be deleted next year if I don't pay..
What is that nonsense about?!
I am using WAY less storage than I could.. Maybe about 1GB or something like that?
For ALL of the pictures on here.. I could upload 1000 pictures in Full Res.. which would cost flickr way more to host..

Personally I dont care about the unlimited storage. Some people use flickr as their photo dump which I absolute hate.. it should be about the photos on here.

Why dont you make different tiers?
Free
Pro
Unlimited Pro

Not all users need "unlimited".. or those other Boni you offer..

Or at least make an offer to the loyal! older users. So they can keep their older pictures to a certain level of storage.. not to the amount of those pictures..

I put in so much work to build something on here and stayed loyal.. but the changes force me to pay for pro or lose a LOT of my work and making my account unusable because I can't upload more pictures...

Not a good way to treat loyal members...

view photos

ToriAndrewsPhotography says:

1k is a joke. I won't be renewing

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

Miss Blackflag:

i would like to get my stuff off of here as soon as possible so i do not risk losing it (some images i no longer have thanks to hard drives failing over the years).

Seems like a great reason to pay for Flickr Pro. We'll keep your photos safe so you don't lose any to failing drives any longer.

view photos

pricey crate says:

Happy to hear Flickr is finally separating from Yahoo, especially the login. Thanks!

view photos

Peter CS65 - 1990 to 2000 says:

Looks like Adobe Creative Cloud wins.

view photos

pokemonprime says:

This is disgraceful, the retail community has hundreds of users who relied on Flickr's ability to host large amounts of photos. I am personally subscribed to many non-Pro members who have thousands of photos. I currently only have 390 photos but have well over a thousand that I have in the backlog to upload. Another fear is preservation, we don't want a Photobucket Mark 2, when come February old accounts with owners long retired or even dead start having their pictures deleted because they didn't cough up $50/year. I'm a high school student who can barely afford his camera or find the time to photograph what I want or need to, where do you think I'm gonna pull $50/yearly from? I was hoping the Smugmug might help revitalize the site, but now you're kneecapping a large part of the community you intend to bring back in pursuit of the almighty dollar. Bringing the limit down to say, 500, or even 200 GB would be more logical, but no, a hard limit of 1,000 photos. I am enraged and incensed, and will be looking to move my photos to another less money-hungry site. Me thinks all you want to do is make Flickr a "professionals only" site.

view photos

davidmold:

I think they are aware and it's more like, "go pro or leave, already!" in my opinion. I know they want to make money, but this is like telling a HUGE swath of potential customers to go away! I feel this way because 1000 images is just too low in my estimation. I think they know this as well, I mean they know the average amount of photos on free accounts and this is surely way low, but whatever, I will finish this years projects and in the mean time, look for an alternative.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Miss Blackflag:

according to the blog in feb they will begin deleting old images until you reach the new max

Right, I understand that. I was clarifying it for the person I was replying to.

view photos

Miss Blackflag says:

Don-MacAskill:

you failed to answer my question where do i access the ability to download my content so that i can remove it from your website as soon as possible. i have no interest in staying longer than needed to download my content.

view photos

Miss Blackflag says:

kmacgray:

yeah that was my fault, i hit your reply instead of his

view photos

briangeerlings says:

The 1000 photos thing is rough. I've trimmed my collection a lot lately so I'm under, but it still sucks, and will mean thousands of removals for my girlfriend, who has been a long time (and previously PRO) member.

Actually deleting photos, ample time or not, is brutal. As others said, some people do not have back up copies anymore. I realize people chose to use a site that could 'die' just like any site can, but it may mean people losing memories of loved ones or trips they went on. It's just really brutal.

Bonus points for me. I love playing with adapted glass, which has no EXIF. I use flickr tags to track what lens took what photo. I have to what, make an excel sheet now and go back through hundreds of photos to do so? Or use an EXIF program and slowly tag each one? CAN'T WAIT.

Also... if you pay, you will hit Explore more. Seriously? I mean I know it's like 99% brownie points, but still, my photos will get shoved out because someone else paid for a spot?

So yeah. I guess I'll just go antisocial and do Google Photos or local storage and ignore the world :D

view photos

Billy '76 says:

Miss Blackflag:

I think you might be able to put all your photos in one folder. Then you can download that folder as a zip file.

Go to your profile, click on 'Albums'. Select 'New Album'. Then click on 'Select all' and drag them into the the big white space. When the folder is made you'll be able to download everything. I think that should work.

view photos

Miss Blackflag says:

Billy '76:

oh wow thank you! i shall try that. i have over 3k images on this site.. this is gonna be a big download

view photos

pokemonprime says:

Not to mention they're demanding this when their site and apps still have major problems. Many of my friends have to swap and jump between browsers just to get the Uploader to work.

view photos

guidowerner:

I wouldn't expect a TB of storage, but 1000 images? Come on! I have 2419 images and use 2.4% of the 1TB limit! How is 1000 images even reasonable? That is crazy low in a blatant attempt to make people go pro or go away.

view photos

G.Schweiger says:

The deleting of content will cause thousands or millions of broken links across blogs/forums/sites. There will be huge amounts of valuable information and photos lost not only to Flickr users and viewers, but millions of people that see flickr hosted images all over the internet.

view photos

Don-MacAskill:

The cost for pro isn't unreasonable, what seems to me unreasonable is the 1000 limit. I mean I have 2419 images and use 2.4% of the 1TB limit! How did they get the 1000 limit? I suspect it's their way of saying 'go pro or go away' period. It would feel less like a betrayal if they would just come out and say we are no longer going to be a free site at all and are going to start charging everyone. You know, like Smugmug.

view photos

personne.de.chandigarh says:

Miss Blackflag:

Please click on settings and click on the link for downloading your Flickr data.

view photos

MONUDET says:

For many years I have been a very large free account now. At the same time, I record most of the documentary pictures of historical buildings and other monuments both in my Czech homeland and in many other European countries. I want photography to serve the protection of the historical heritage, but also to teach students or scientists. Photos I regularly share in blogs on Wordpress.com and elsewhere. If I do not go to the PRO account, will these links with other sites disappear? Sometimes I share a preview from another free account. If this other author does not move to PRO, will his previews disappear from my blog?
In my opinion, Flickr is already part of the cultural heritage of humanity. It is a giant source of documents about the life, cultural interests of people from all over the globe. Finally, it is also related to the Flickr Commons project. What plans do you have with him? It was created with the LoC, with large archives, libraries and museums of the world, as well as monumental institutions.
Finally, I added royalty-free photos that have been uploaded by Wikimedia Commons.
My opinion is that long-time users with similar archives, such as I am creating them, watching urban environment changes, etc., should have some support, perhaps with some loyalty bonus.
Jan Sommer

view photos

Rabican-BUSY says:

i also just read the part about the Pro accounts and their priority on Explore.

Really LOFL. Explore was supposed to be a showcase of interesting photos and now if you pay you get to have priority there no matter what you post? even if it's crappy pictures? LOL

so long Flickr.. may you RIP!

view photos

Mind Meld says:

It's not worth the hassle for the free account any longer. The service is horrid with more Panda's all the time, or no loading of comments, etc. Sadly, after all these years, it's time for me to leave. Thanks for the heads up.

view photos

sonic182 says:

If I were a new user and saw that the limit is constant 1000, I would not sign up, since it is highly likely that I will reach it on the long term. I do understand that you need money to run the site, but I think a limit that varies over time would be more reasonable. Something like 20 photos per week, or 200 photos per year, etc. This way free users would still have to limit themselves, but they could keep using the free service on the long run.

view photos

pokemonprime says:

Guess I'll never get those Explore traffic spikes again, guess I should be lucky for the few I got.

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Don-MacAskill:

Uploading, fast and error-free, is something we're hard at work on.

Well...there is hope then!

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Don-MacAskill:

Uploading, fast and error-free, is something we're hard at work on.

duplicate. Don't know why a response generates a duplicate sometimes.. Weird.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Don-MacAskill:

Flickr Pro Accounts
Flickr Pro is better than ever. At less than half the cost of Apple, Amazon, or Google, it’s the best deal in photography — hands down. In addition to access to the world's largest photography-focused community,

A suggestion for those who question this statement is to research for yourself. All the main photo sharing sites out there have a slightly different feature offering and overall thrust, but in a fair comparison, Flickr wins hands down.

Of course, maybe Flickr Pro has features that you may not want or need...and that becomes a personal decision to find the right product out there that suits your particular needs......but it's simply not fair to Flickr to expect them to continue to offer services for free that virtually every other service charges for.

In fact, no wonder so much stuff is broken or unfinished on the site - they had no money coming in to pay for staff to fix!

I get that it's an abrupt change where you have to now choose to pay or have photos deleted....and yes, that does suck. But I blame circa 2013 Flickr for that, not 2018 Flickr. I thank 2018 Flickr for finally taking the necessary steps to get back on track and hopefully beyond.

view photos

StrikeEagle492 says:

I'm a free user with no need or desire to upgrade to Pro - I currently have 4500 photos uploaded, but looking at my account settings, I'm using 0.1% of the 1TB limit.

If you must cut something, cut the storage limit in disk size rather than the number of photos in total.

Under your new proposals, I could upload 1000 full-size shots straight from my camera unedited at 4.5MB per image, or I could upload 1000 100x100px avatars at 20kb each, but I still hit the account limit at the same point based on numbers uploaded, not storage used.

How is that a fair or sensible system?
StrikeEagle492 edited this topic 6 months ago.

view photos

LSW2020 says:

So am I going to have to buy the $50 dollar account or am I still going to be able to pay for pro month to month like I have been doing

view photos

Freggs says:

ColetteSimonds:

Probably Flickr's fast and error free service.

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Don-MacAskill:

Flickr Free Accounts

Good decision, finally. Thanks and it's about time!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

Christopher Elliot Taylor:

How did they get the 1000 limit? I suspect it's their way of saying 'go pro or go away' period. It would feel less like a betrayal if they would just come out and say we are no longer going to be a free site at all and are going to start charging everyone.

Nope, not going to happen. Flickr Free members are essential to a vibrant, healthy Flickr. So we are determined to provide a free tier that allows anyone who is unable or unwilling to pay for Flickr Pro to meaningfully participate in, and contribute to, the Flickr community. After talking to members and digging into the data, we feel like 1,000 photos is the right spot to make that happen.

view photos

roadscum says:

Meself i see this as a move back toward what we had here before the fragrant Ms Meyer made Flickr awesome (did i spell that properly). When she gave it all away for free I happily cashed in my Pro account and spent the refund money on beer. Now it's actually worth paying for an account again i will happily pay. I've no doubt there will be one or two people who won't and i wish them all the best as they cheerfully go in the general direction of away.

Mr MacAskill you have my very best wishes as you continue in your work to save this place and repair some of the damage done by the yahooligans. Good luck to you sir!

view photos

Flcikrheit 451 says:

Really, really sneaky move.

Let people upload lots of photos then hold them to ransom by deleting potentially thousands of their shots they've uploaded over 12+ years unless they cough up?

And you claim it's the greatest deal in photography? Based on what? Instagram is free and would get everyone here 10x the audience. It's clear most people think the site has slid downhill over the past 5 years. Most people I know in the real world have left Flickr, and judging from comments here, loads more will follow?

I personally think 50 dollars is fairly reasonable fee for the storage, but I quit my PRO account in protest at two things couple of years back:

1) the deliberate vagueness of paid Flickr staff telling us the new photo editor would be ready 'any minute' when it took 5-6 months to materialise.

2) the vicious condescension of the 'unpaid' regulars - who you've given moderator privileges to.

All the best!
Flcikrheit 451 edited this topic 6 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

Rabican7-Catching Up:

Really LOFL. Explore was supposed to be a showcase of interesting photos and now if you pay you get to have priority there no matter what you post? even if it's crappy pictures? LOL

Nope, not going to happen. We're still working on all the details for these changes, but beautiful, interesting photos will always be a requirement, including in the improved Explore interface.

view photos

pokemonprime says:

Don-MacAskill:

Oh bullcrap it's the right spot to make it happen. 1,000 photos may seem like a lot but in the real world it's a puny limit. The resounding backlash you've just gotten should show that your research was flawed. You want a vibrant, healthy Flickr, but one full of high end photographers who can flaunt their money.

view photos

ONINOT says:

I have been pro for years but I consider it absolutely unjustified to find the charge of $ 99.98 and find out from the credit card sms that the renewal to PRO costs three times and without even a communication ?! in fact I have not renewed and I do not think to renew !!!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

I get that it's an abrupt change where you have to now choose to pay or have photos deleted....and yes, that does suck. But I blame circa 2013 Flickr for that, not 2018 Flickr. I thank 2018 Flickr for finally taking the necessary steps to get back on track and hopefully beyond.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

roadscum:

Mr MacAskill you have my very best wishes as you continue in your work to save this place and repair some of the damage done by the yahooligans. Good luck to you sir!

Thanks! We're hard at work doing just that. :)

view photos

DM Transport Photos says:

I may have over 12,000 photos uploaded in the past few years but this is not very good. I used 5.01% of the 1TB as well.

I guess this could be the end of flickr

view photos

Lensjoy says:

The Sacked Mr Mell:

Lets be honest - all PRO users only pay because they are addicted to the Stats page.

Sorry, no--I've paid solely to ensure ad-free experience (for myself and visitors to my photostream).

view photos

Flickr Staff

Don-MacAskill says:

ONINOT:

I have been pro for years but I consider it absolutely unjustified to find the charge of $ 99.98

Flickr Pro is $50/year, so this sounds like a mistake. We'd love to fix it for you. Would mind contacting our Support Heroes? We'll get right on it.

view photos

AZ_Michael says:

Wow. To think I was kind of excited to hear Smug Mug took over, thinking there may be some easier way to do photo books and such.

It’s nit even the money, it’s the slap in the face. I’ve spent hundreds of hours uploading as backup to Flickr over the years. A way to show grandkids the trips etc. And now you are going to not only stop the uploads, your going to delete my photos! Wow.

I would have been a customer for the Smug Mug products. Now, I’m just going to have to duplicate the uploads I have done to my Amazon Prime and my One Drive accounts.

Total disrespect for all the time and work. And three months before you delete! I wish the best for the employees of Smug Mug, May you find a future company that has a management and board that respects its customer base. And just common human respect overall.

view photos

Holden Richards says:

I think the benefits of being here a very low compared to how it used to be. I would like a 25 dollar level like before 10,000 photos. I really don't want to pay more than that.

view photos

AZ_Michael says:

AZ_Michael:

and b the way, for Pros, I and those that come to Flickr for my pictures originally will no longer be seeing yours.

view photos

pokemonprime says:

I'm going to look into hosting my own site. It may not be cheaper, but I won't give any money to a company that does something like this and backstabs a large majority of it's community.

view photos

guidowerner says:

The Sacked Mr Mell:

Nothing personal Don, I'll assume you're just the messenger

He is not the messenger, he is the CEO of Flickr.

The Sacked Mr Mell:
Lets be honest - all PRO users only pay because they are addicted to the Stats page.

How do You know what motivates other PRo users? For me the most relevant advantage of the pro account allways was adfree browsing.

The Sacked Mr Mell:
- No one wants 5k photo display.

Wrong. I want 5K photo display.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Don-MacAskill:

Free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos and/or videos will have content actively deleted—

That a real shame as many group photos willl just disappear and any insentive to tag and add disriptions will not be worth the bother, even for pros that let pro subscription lapes for a while. There will be no point in paying latter again as you will have deleted all there work after the 1000 number.

I think its time now to delete my groups and most of my photos way down below 1000 that I've upload since 2007 ..

It will also be a shame to see one or two members that have died that have some very exalent rare location photos that i go back to from time to time just deapear for good.
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 6 months ago.

view photos

MONUDET says:

When I think about it, I think it would be advisable to keep free the photos that were or will be uploaded to a date. I think this is necessary due to a lot of links to other sites, etc., which I mentioned (including, for example, links on other social networks, which also bring Flickr's potential to an account). I would consider it almost ethical for barbarity if all this was swept away.
So I thought it would be acceptable to keep available content that has been uploaded through free accounts, and the payments were only for the newly inserted images. Otherwise, it is totally unreasonable, as the pictures of already ill-lying photographers, who would like to pay, but disappear instead, will disappear? (At the same time, they fulfilled the licensing terms as they were in the time of their activity!) Cultural heritage scientists whose pictures are needed for further work. Perhaps those who are interested in such an older abandoned image might be paying for their use.
But I do not know about 90% of the content of the local unparalleled treasury of world memory, I think, perhaps, as proof of misunderstanding or even of non-culture.
But I still believe in some revision.

view photos

kh1234567890 says:

G.Schweiger:

The deleting of content will cause thousands or millions of broken links across blogs/forums/sites. There will be huge amounts of valuable information and photos lost not only to Flickr users and viewers, but millions of people that see flickr hosted images all over the internet.

I suspect that the new greedy owners had not thought this one through. It is the equivalent of book burning. By all means delete all the porn and (after due warning) private images from the free accounts, but keep the stuff which gets accessed.

Crazy times we live in ...

view photos

personne.de.chandigarh says:

StrikeEagle492:

cut the storage limit in disk size rather than the number of photos in total.

There are so many ways feebie accounts can be downsized including what you have suggested. But, it may be necessary to put such suggestions in the "Wishlist" thread on the Help Forum or by using Feedback.

view photos

Petunia_2011 says:

The changes for non-paying members seem already in effect
When I use SEARCH, 50% or more of my photos are not displayed even when I use ADVANCED SEARCH with TAG. I had a feeling Flickr was taking away some of the rights of the non-paying members. For now, I'll remove some of my pix, but if I still cant see all of the photos I should see with SEARCH, I'll have to find another solution.

view photos

masimage says:

Cheerio Flickr!

Just another cash grab. Give users a 1TB limit and then pull the rug from under them.

view photos

Lensjoy says:

Don-MacAskill:

I'm extremely grateful for all of the old school Flickr Pro customers. . . . there might be an easter egg hiding in your account settings

Is the easter egg hidden in all grandfathered Pro accounts? I haven't found it...yet ;-)
I know it's not this, but It would be great if you enabled higher resolution display sizes (above 1024 pixels) for photos uploaded before March 2012, at least on Pro accounts.

view photos

Joanne 1967 says:

CANCELLED - YOU CANT JUST DOUBLE MY SUBSCRIPTION LIKE THIS.

Your Flickr Pro plan has been canceled.

Your Flickr Pro benefits will end on February 4, 2019
Joanne 1967 edited this topic 6 months ago.

view photos

MONUDET says:

It is also a bit tragicomic that even the documentary valuable images on the account should be deleted according to the indicated plan, even if the author loses interest, he / she will lose his / her health or die. So he does not have to finish his own plan, but by chance the cultural benefit he has created will disappear.
Even this moral and cultural accident is solvable in the way I previously proposed. So leave the old photos after you have finished making the payments for your account to your account.
Alternatively, it might be worth considering that both free and account owners could make a higher one-off payment to make their data contribution permanently protected as the options allow, or could be moved to archive.org or the like.
But it would also be appropriate if the various "orphaned" accounts could be sponsored by sponsors. That is, the announcement of the "expiration" of the accounts, which could be supported by the sponsor, the community on the hithit, etc. Finally, many programmers are supported in this way. Historically valuable accounts could thus be supported or needed for their own archiving museums, archives, etc.
I see a cultural and logical solution.
Jan Sommer

view photos

designwallah says:

Don-MacAskill:

How many of the Flickr members you talked you wanted the Pro accounts to be priced at almost twice what they previously paid? (I've been paying $24.95 Can. a year for the past few years). And how many members with free accounts asked you to reduce the maximum number of photographs to 1000?

Heed Lensjoy's comment, "this will restrict the CC photo archives donated by public institutions (many use free accounts)".

Were we not lulled into a false sense of security that nothing major would change?

How long did the "New Simple Login!" feature take to develop?

"Premier Product Support" - You're arm-twisting more people to go pro, which means more people in the line at the help centre.

I don't see much of interest in the "Partner Discounts".

"New 5K Photo Display Option" - How will you prevent people from downloading these 5K photos?

I was expecting improvements to the existing interface, e.g.:

- autocomplete tags, and maybe multi-word tags without having to use double-quotes

- the Flickr map is atrocious - it needs to be replaced completely. For example, search for "eiffel tower". Guess what the result is... "No results found".

- Many more improvements, not bells and whistles like "Partner Discounts"...

view photos

neverbe says:

I understand your point - flickr became photography dump, no search could help digging through this mess.

But, at the same time your 1000 photos limit is a strange troublesome miss. I am experienced user who digs special lenses groups that hosts examples of photos and see that most decent users host from 10.000 photos (usually around 20.000 - 100.000).

I think that you should make a different game - use ad-statistics and limit unpopular personal accounts, giving a 5000 or 10000+ limit for those, who have many viewers, meaning they contribute to your system by showing ads. It is not very cunning to kill a milking cow or it is?

It means that most of those sharing and caring users will have their valuable galleries deleted. That will be fair, as I believe.

Flickr will survive, but that thing is gonna be like a shooting in leg to cure a headache.

Subscription system is a dangerous thing - most people do not want to pay at all, even if they earn money by photography.

I spent money on pro account as a support gesture, I am not real "pro" and never needed its benefits. Now account price doubled (I have no 30% discount feature) and I feel no need for paying for it twice.

Please make a donation feature or introduce no-ad account for viewers (I do not need statistics and all the other pro features).

Sorry for your decisions, but in my opinion you are not making smart moves, you are just turning flickr into smth like 500px, smugmug and etc, losing flickr open world thing.

I love flickr and feel sorry for it.

view photos

abstracted skin says:

Bye Flickr......

view photos

designwallah says:

Lensjoy:

You can replace any individual photo with a higher-resolution one from the "Edit photo" function.

view photos

red trade says:

Don-MacAskill:
I believe most people would pay $50/year to keep their priceless photos, like their family memories, safe. And many, many people do that on Flickr today. Flickr is a place for people who care about photography, and typically you pay something for the arts & crafts you're passionate about.

What about the countless accounts where the user is now gone or maybe they have forgotten/lost their login? There is this irreplaceable treasure trove of photography on Flickr. I strongly feel that Flickr/SmugMug has a responsibility to preserve these images. Mass deletion of thousands ... hundreds of thousands .... maybe even a million photos for the sake of a irresponsible business model is so very wrong. I am sure there are other options available where old legacy accounts are left untouched that will still allow for a successful business model to move forward.

view photos

yuki_alm_misa says:

I have signed up for 2 years now, but in the next renewal I will sign a contract for 1 year and say that we will raise to the price we announced this time?

view photos

G.Schweiger says:

kh1234567890:

I don't fault Flickr for needing money to keep the lights on. They are a business, it is necessary. But I agree in that they appear to be giving short shrift to how Flickr has historically been used. A huge amount of users simply upload images to host and embed/link them on outside sites. This was a valuable resource for countless websites. By removing all of the legacy images, a huge amount of information is going to be lost completely. Surely there could be some more options available. Some ideas: cutting free account disc space to 1/5/10 GB; a lower tier of payment to keep legacy images available; simply keeping legacy images available for linking, but requiring payment to continue an active account; spinning off all legacy content into it's own site.

Don mentioned there was input from users on the decision made. Can we be privy to such discussion?

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 88 89
(1 to 100 of 8,831 replies in [Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads