Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] An update on Flickr search
Latest: 26 hours ago
[Official Thread] Updates to the Flickr Android App
Latest: 4 days ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 5 weeks ago
[Official Thread] A new home for your events
Latest: 6 weeks ago

Current Discussion

Fashion Photography
Latest: 85 minutes ago
Photo in maximum number of groups
Latest: 3 hours ago
Tagging
Latest: 4 hours ago
Safe search is always moderate
Latest: 4 hours ago
Album Covers
Latest: 5 hours ago
Group stats photography counter going nuts
Latest: 9 hours ago
Pro account cancelled but not by me. Why? and how do I make contact with Flickr?
Latest: 11 hours ago
embedded photos and embedded profile icon don't show in discussions
Latest: 11 hours ago
Smugmug terms for photowalk group photos be careful
Latest: 12 hours ago
Support full EXIF data for PNG files
Latest: 15 hours ago
Flickr modifying exif data when displaying
Latest: 19 hours ago
What’s the deal with moderated groups?
Latest: 21 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Flickr grandfathered Pro subscriptions

Flickr Staff

adstads says:

Hi Flickr fam,

We’ve started sending notifications to grandfathered Pro members who are due for renewal that we’ll be renewing their Pro memberships at the current market price.

For grandfathered members, the cost of the 1-year plan has remained unchanged since it was introduced in 2005. The 2-year plan has actually gotten cheaper by $3 over the years. When we re-introduced Pro in 2015, we guaranteed that existing Pros would continue to receive the old price for at least 2 years, and we have honored that promise.

When grandfathered subscriptions next come up for renewal, they’ll be charged the current Pro rate, though the plan duration and billing cycle will stay the same. New Pros currently pay $49.99 per year or $5.99 per month, depending on the plan. Therefore, 2-year Pros will pay $99.98 bi-annually, 1-year Pros will pay $49.99 annually, and 3-month Pros will pay $17.97 every three months.

Pro subscriptions now support a completely independent, family-run photography business that is committed to sustaining and investing in Flickr long into the future.

Flickr Pro at the current price is an excellent way to manage and upload your photos while participating in a vibrant global photography community. For $49.99 a year, grandfathered Pros will still get unlimited, full-resolution uploads; ad-free browsing and no ads served on your photos; advanced stats; great industry discounts; and the strength of the Flickr community.

Thanks for being a part of what makes Flickr so special to us all!

Andrew
VP of Flickr Product
Posted at 2:35PM, 16 August 2018 PST ( permalink )
adstads (staff) edited this topic 16 months ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
(1 to 100 of 1330 replies in Flickr grandfathered Pro subscriptions)
view photos

FlyButtafly says:

adstads:

I remember when a pro account cost nearly that much (I think it was $48?) before Yahoo! bought it. I gladly paid it back then. I don't know what the new ownership has in store; I have a while before my account is up for renewal so I guess I'll wait and see what happens over the next several months to decide whether to re-up. TBH my usage of flickr really declined again over the last few years, but I would like to think with SmugMug's investment, they can actually do something to make this a vibrant place agin. We'll see...
Posted 16 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Well, I won't renew for that price and for what I get out of this site now. No way! My 2 pro accounts got renewed at the old price very recently. I will delete one and keep this one as free account.

I don't mind paying if I get my money's worth. But with the stats the way they are, how easy it is to get images stolen, no, I don't want to renew. This site is dead for me with no activity anymore, that is activity such as what I used to see. I won't pay for groups that are dumping grounds.

As said above the site used to be vibrant. It won't happen anymore because times are changing, and most good photographers have left, that is those who interacted with others in a constructive way. This site will not be more vibrant because people are paying more for it.!

So that's for me. In a way, I am glad I will have an opportunity not to pay.

As far as Smugmug, just checked it out again recently, and I still hate it.

Addendum: I think $25.00 /year was plenty to pay for a site that basically sucks now. I don't understand why, when service declines, we should be asked to pay more....Makes no sense.

view photos

Viejito says:

ColetteSimonds:

If both your pro accounts renewed recently, you still have almost a year to think it over, see how SmugMug improves the site (or not) and decide then.

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Viejito:

Sure, I have no plan to cancel pro before expiration. But it's true that i have been using the site less and less because I am more and more bored with it!! The problem though is that a vibrant site depends on vibrant users. Those are gone for the most part and have been steadily going at a faster pace. The stats are horrible, and security on the account is not that good. So, if Smugmug fixes that, then perhaps I will pay. But I am not extremely confident.

view photos

The Searcher says:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157692729336502/
"Will my Flickr Pro subscription change?
You’ll remain a Flickr Pro member and continue to enjoy all the benefits of a Pro membership."

I guess in hindsight that was very specifically worded, to avoid any mention of cost. I'll be very curious how you pull this off, doubling the price of Pro while still offering free accounts that are practically the same thing.

You're gonna have to either offer a LOT more features for Pro accounts, are go back to crippling the features of Free accounts. I predict.

view photos

AllisonStein says:

I tried to use the Adobe discount that is supposedly a pro account benefit, but the link says the discount has expired. What's up with that?

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads says:

AllisonStein:

That should not be the case. Could you please contact support at help.flickr.com so we can get it sorted for you?

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

adstads:

I'm sure a lot of grandfathered members will stll find pro good value. Not sure this will go down well for quite a few though. Flickr has lost its way with so many groups in a dead state. Shearch results with more spam than photos. Also seconded life cartoons instead of photos. Screenshots instead of photos.

Free accounts will stay free i'm sure, but downgraded at some point i'm sure. Even if flickr improves in functionally i can't see the once bubbling community that flickr had returning as it once was, the very reason members joined flickr in the first place.

view photos

Pacdog says:

I kinda knew this was coming.. I'm done. Sad.. Yeah I'm pissed.

PM me!!

Fucke......

*sad face* Look I cannot afford the current price, but I have sense 2005..

view photos

Pacdog says:

Most of you make 3 digit paychecks and your asking the long term members who have been loyal to double up on subs? I'm really sad..

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Pacdog:

Most of you make 3 digit paychecks and your asking the long term members who have been loyal to double up on subs? I'm really sad..

Yeah, they talk about "market value" just like for my rent!!

It doesn't sit well with me and I won't pay more for less service. Right now we do have less service. It really is not about being loyal or not . It's what you get for what you pay. If I paid double, I would feel cheated.

I'm glad I downloaded everything when I did. I knew it was coming too~
I wonder why they don't double the price for people who use Flickr to sell their stuff.... and leave those long time members alone, those who don't use the site to sell...

But yes, 3 figure income from the Bay Area as if this applied to most people. Oh, but I forgot..the economy is good, that's what Trump says, so that we can get exploited by just about anybody who can do it like the phone companies for example!

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

adstads:

Flickr Pro at the current price is an excellent way to manage and upload your photos while participating in a vibrant global photography community. For $49.99 a year, grandfathered Pros will still get unlimited, full-resolution uploads; ad-free browsing and no ads served on your photos; advanced stats; great industry discounts; and the strength of the Flickr community.

Are you delusional or what. Or maybe you are just joking! Great stats? haha!!! Flickr standard I suppose.

view photos

fireweed41 says:

Pacdog:

"Most of you make 3 digit paychecks and your asking the long term members who have been loyal to double up on subs?"

Well, that's a fine little non sequitur !

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

adstads:

Andrew,
As a Vice President, you should be aware that users/members don't expect announcements about their account to appear in a help forum. Information such as this price change is always conveyed via banner, notification and/or email. Burying it in a help forum in response to users' angry inquiries merely increases our dissatisfaction.

view photos

kmacgray says:

InnAtElmwood:

Information such as this price change is always conveyed via banner, notification and/or email

In the first sentence of Andrew's post:

"We’ve started sending notifications to grandfathered Pro members ..."

view photos

Pictures from the Ghost Garden says:

kmacgray:

"We’ve started sending notifications to grandfathered Pro members ..."

Actually he says "We’ve started sending notifications to grandfathered Pro members who are due for renewal..."

It's that "who are due for renewal" part that is significant as this suggests that people only get notified when their subscription is about to expire.

So I am inclines to agree with InnAtElmwood: that there are probbaly better ways to break the first news about this to those affected than by posting it in the Help Forum (and only in the English language version I think?).

Having said that this announcement does not surprise me and provided that SmugMug reverse the decline then I am happy to pay the same rate as other non grandfathered Pro members.

However, my subscription is not up for renewal for some time so I can wait and see. Others may just have to take a leap of faith in the short term (or not, should they so chose).

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

adstads:

I remember it being a fight to get the Adobe Creative Cloud discount when renewing an existing Flickr Pro-account. Adobe does whatever they can to offer you short-term alternative discounts which probably are better offers if you are ready to fight for your discount again when the short-term discount ends. But obviously Adobe speculates you don't have energy to (or forgets to) go through the same fight again when their special short-term discount ends.

And I'm sad to say, Adobe won in my case. I don't have energy to fight again and I'm currently paying full price for my Adobe Creative Cloud Photographer subscription.

And btw, it is a big price increase for grandfathered Flickr Pro users, but I have big hope for Flickr under SmugMug ownership. I'm renewing again next time, and hoping my investment will be rewarded :-)
[Please make my uploads prior to March 2012 become available in display sizes >1024px! ;-) ]

view photos

mcnod says:

InnAtElmwood:

members don't expect announcements about their account to appear in a help forum

Timeline:
This thread was posted, and then made a Hot Topic per request:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157698664310561/

Andrew's topic replaced it as the Hot Topic less than an hour later.

view photos

EHBusman1958 says:

Lucky my pro account isn't due renewal for another nine months, so I will wait and see if SmugMug improve and expand features for Pro accounts, plus improve fixing the system bug crashes that are to plentiful,,

if this happens then I may consider renewing my Pro account, if it doesn't then I will not, ill just swap my account to a free account.

view photos

b.cx says:

I can’t tell you how I feel disappointed about this doubled price. I have been using Flickr since 2006. Though I don’t have a lot of photos to upload and no activity at all, I still keep paying my subscription. I understand the subscription fee has never changed for a decade for the grandfathered old account like me. It’s acceptable to increase the price for a little bit like perhaps $5 or $10. However, the price is doubled now all of sudden and it’s not really affordable for me. I was really shocked when I saw the email and I thought that was a mistake until I found this post on google. There was no announcement, no explanation in the email and all I can see is a bill. I think for the long term loyal users like me or many people like me, it is really disappointed.
b.cx edited this topic 16 months ago.

view photos

Pacdog says:

b.cx:

I'm as pissed as a long time member of Flickr can be. They will lose many old school members. Guess this was a SmugMug decision. Bad idea guys and girls. Bad Bad Bad!!

view photos

Pacdog says:

Hey SmugMug? Change Flickr over to AWS and then ask Members like me to pay double. Fuck!!!!!!! Also change the login to Our accounts off of Yahoo.. Is anybody in there (Flickr Offices) listening?

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Looks to me that they should have waited to fix the huge amount of problems on this site before asking for more money. Why does it work in reverse with these entities? Since when do people get raises before they deliver the goods?

Pacdog:

They will lose many old school members

They have already left. We are some of the few who are lazy enough to stay on this platform. I know that I am lazy, but this will probably change as I am getting sick of this site by the day. I constantly have to reduce my images to minuscule sizes because of theft.....I don't want to appear like I'm whining, and I have always been a firm defender of Flickr, but I'm getting tired.

I dislike Smugmug's model, truly dislike it. Has anybody tried to search images on that site? If you think Flickr is bad, it's not with respect to searches. I got nothing that I wanted when I tried search for stuff , not logged in, of course, because I have no account. Stuff returned was totally irrelevant. I contacted their "heroes" through their form, I got a response quickly, but the response was completely stupid, polite, but didn't shed any light at all. They pride themselves on having help, quickly, through humans, but the responses are just exactly like the stupid responses we got from Flickr, generic forms full of nonsense. And yet they have real "heroes" that are certainly more expensive.

For some reason, I think Flickr was, is many ways, more advanced even though many parts of the site are dysfunctional. I have hated Smugmug from the first time I tried it, 3 years ago, and it looks like I might end up truly hating Flickr now. But I knew that when they acquired Flickr and everybody was soooooo excited! We will never return to Flickr as it used to be in the early days before 2013. Too many solid members have left after 2013 and continued to leave after that date. So we will be paying for those who sell stuff, or dump a zillion pictures on the site and are entitled to stuff. We, as oldies, don't count!

view photos

JillnRod says:

Ive never heard of a company asking for a 123% increase at renewal. I understand it was cheap at $44 for 2 years, but compared to the free accounts I do not understand why we are being penalized. Just not see banners?

view photos

JillnRod says:

JillnRod:

So many competitors offer free cloud storage or better pricing including raw backup...This photography community is dead, this is only a cloud storage site now. IF your plan is to loose paying customers you are on the right track.

view photos

jschumacher says:

ColetteSimonds:

I dislike Smugmug's model, truly dislike it.... have hated Smugmug from the first time I tried it, 3 years ago

Then you should not get a Smugmug account.

For about the gazillionth time this is Flickr, not Smugmug. The two have a common owner but the websites serve two very different purposes for overlapping but separate audiences. The poor results of Smugmug's search tool have nothing to do with Flickr raising the subscription costs for long-time Flickr Pro members so why bring it up?

view photos

gigi4791 says:

OK, you doubled the price. Let's hope that you double the qualtiy of your service. Flickr still has apps, which are broken for years without any fixes (e.g. Apple TV app), removes features without any reason (full screen slideshows with an option to see picture titles and descriptions were introduced in 2005 and removed recently when the site was "updated"). If you want to charge more, please work harder. It is that easy! If you are for some quick cash, it won't work well for you. You own Flickr for three months, show us some improvments and then double the price!

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

jschumacher:

Then you should not get a Smugmug account.

I didn't get one. I wanted to point out that if their model comes to Flickr, it's not good news. And their model is obviously coming to Flickr because Smugmug is expensive, and they want Flickr to become expensive. You actually believe they will leave the free accounts, free? Seriously. Currently there is no significant difference between the free and pro account. Charging 50 dol is too much for what we get here.

Smugmug and Flickr might come down to share the same bad ideas and that's why I brought Smugmug up. For example, we were told they have a super duper help service and that Flickr will have one too. Well, so much for the fake help I got. If that's the help we are going to get on Flickr, thanks. It's no different than the generic forms we used to get, and except that we now will have to pay more.

So, if you paid attention, there was a reason why I brought up Smugmug. Stop being naive and think they are separate. They won't be separate when it's a question of making members pay.

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

gigi4791:

Let's hope that you double the qualtiy of your service. Flickr

Yeah, in 5 years from now it might work, and then we will have to pay $100/year , that is, if we are still hanging out on this site, which I don't think I will.

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Mr.Filmguy:

You would have to be an idiot to pay for Flickr.

I think you are right, and everything else you said I agree with. Flickr has lost its community a long time ago. Now it's a dumpster for stupid images. It's no place for pros and yet so many on this site act as if they were pros.

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Mr.Filmguy:

My pro account just got renewed and I paid before they raised the price. But I have no more desire being here and I feel I'm wasting my time. It used to be great and I met many good photographers, but they have left long ago. I should have done that too.

I am going to look for alternatives. I am not using this site for storage. I have some time to look for a different platform, or create my own website. It will keep me busy!! I don't sell my stuff, but I do craft each image, and I 'm not going to throw them here anymore together with the other trash.

I have to say though, I will miss Flickr as it used to be, no doubt about that. And I'm not the only one.

I believe none of this BS saying "we will bring the community back" because they won't Actually, they don't care about it anyway....

view photos

Oldt1mer - Keith says:

Having been with Flickr for ten years now, I have always felt that the $25 p/a was a lot but was worth it because, like them or not, I have always had pleasure out of using groups.

Unfortunately, when Flickr made the big changes, admins of many of the best groups felt so bogged down by the lack of Flickr support for them that they closed the groups. Many new groups have since sprung up but Flickr is not the place it used to be for many reasons not just the group situation.

The whole setup of Flickr has caused slow downs, lack of pagination, justified viewing to mention just two.

I'm not daft enough to use Flickr as storage, I use it for pleasure and I would still continue to pay the $25 p/a for this but I'm sorry, there is no way I will pay what is now the new going rate. I have 8 months left on my grandfathered pro account so it really is up to Flickr to get sensible about this.

Flickr/Smugmug have just changed the title 'How to win friends and influence people' to 'How to lose friends and alienate people'.

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

adstads:

2-year Pros will pay $99.98 bi-annually, 1-year Pros will pay $49.99 annually, and 3-month Pros will pay $17.97 every three months.

It might be fair we pay the same as everybody else with Pro accounts, but it is a very big sudden price increase, which undoubtedly will fell very provocative to a lot of grandfathered Pro users. It would be a good idea to give a least a little bit back at the same time...

I mentioned it briefly in a previous comment, but giving it more thoughts I actually think it would be such a logical step, that I needed to repeat it and argument further for it...:

1) In 2012 when 1600px and 2048px wide browsing sizes was introduced, only photos uploaded from March 2012 was updated with the new display sizes. Thus leaving the majority of most peoples photos lost in display sizes which many will consider as much too small for general use and presentation today.

2) Grandfathered Flickr Pro accounts are "uninterrupted" Flickr Pro subscrptions created in 2013 or earlier...

Thus, many, and probably most, grandfathered accounts has uploads pre-dating March 2012 of which display sizes larger than 1024px is currently NOT available.

So, as an excuse or compensation for the more than doubling of subscription prize for us grandfathered subscribers, wouldn't it be natural to finally make all of our photos available in the larger display sizes?
Stig Nygaard edited this topic 16 months ago.

view photos

Mike Slade. says:

I've just come across this thread so let me get this right I have to put up with stats that are at best a joke --- an organiser that is barely up to the job and with a crap mapping system --- and of course the famous panda.

And I'm going to be asked to pay double the annual subscription? I think Smugmug has just gone and shot itself in the foot.

I have until late October to make up my mind to decide about this but I think I know which way it will go. A bad bad move Smugmug.

view photos

mcnod says:

I fail to see why a brand new owner should be expected to continue to offer a discounted rate to members who paid for additional services which they received from the old owners. The old owners were the ones who said keep the additional services or lose them forever (and then later reversed this rule offering the same rate to old members who wanted to regain these services when Pro was reintroduced. Where was the uproar over this?). I hope the next step will be to throttle back what members are getting for free, specifically unlimited monthly uploads. This alone would relieve some of the load on the servers. I also see the need to quickly offer Pro members new features and benefits, and here I mean actual enhancements, not just discounts on partner products. I agree the timing of this increase might be considered premature, but in fairness, newer members who pay the full rate are also subject to the limitations of some of the Pro features and the multitude of bugs, both large and small, that will seemingly not be addressed until total freedom from Yahoo is attained. They promised the former rate for two years and in reality it's been over three years already and some additional time for those who made it in under the wire by the luck of the timing of their renewals.

view photos

jschumacher says:

mcnod:

Agree completely with everything you wrote. If there are going to be free and paid accounts there needs to be a significant difference in the features and benefits available to those accounts. The current differences are worth the $24.95 grandfathered subscription price but I'm not sure they are worth $49.99.

As long as we're talking fees, I'd love to see a nominal, like five or ten dollar, one-time sign-up charge for all new accounts. The fee could be applied to the first year's subscription if a member started with a free account and wanted to upgrade to pro. Having a sign-up fee would end the creation of almost all spam and sockpuppet accounts and give everyone with a free account a little more incentive to stay active on Flickr.

view photos

mcnod says:

jschumacher:

Having a sign-up fee would end the creation of almost all spam and sockpuppet accounts and give everyone with a free account a little more incentive to stay active on Flickr.

Agreed, but it seems to go against the current SmugMug thinking. What I mean is, you can sign up for SmugMug for a short "try before you buy" term and you are not even required to provide a credit card.

view photos

Pacdog says:

jschumacher:

Not a bad idea..

I really do not have a issue with $49.99/yr, but not at Flickr's current state. As mentioned fix Free accounts. 1 TB of free storage is nuts.. Maybe 50 or 100 GB's?? Fix stats and RA and logins.. Then I'll listen.

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

mcnod:

Yes, I've read that other closed thread. My point is that announcements don't belong in a help forum.

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

kmacgray:

Do you recall if this notification was an email?

view photos

kmacgray says:

InnAtElmwood:

I didn't get any notifcation at all as my account was auto-renewed on August 1, before this announcement. So I don't fall into the group of people they are trying to contact at the moment.

My point is that staff are contacting members.

view photos

Pacdog says:

My point is this seems to be really bad timing on Flickr. In context this is one of the largest data based moves in the history of social sites with all the other issues at this time like double billing and other site wide issues it seems to me not the right time for this...

view photos

b.cx says:

InnAtElmwood:

No. All I received was an renewal email saying my account will be expired next week and the subscription fee is $49.99. I didn’t know what was happening until I found this post on google.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

The strange thing viewing flickr from a free standpoint members that pay to say they have no ads, yet pro members see ads in there thousands in shearch results. How is paying to use flickr better than a free account ?

And paying for stats are unreliable as can been seen in the help forum most days. How is paying to use flickr better than having a free account?

view photos

kmacgray says:

Mr.Filmguy:

MacAllister family

MacAskill.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Mr.Filmguy:

The new owners are against allowing people to make money unless they buy a crappy smugmug account.

No SmugMug account is required to make money using Flickr. They made significant changes to their policy regarding commercial activity for Pro members in late 2017, well before the SmugMug acquisition.

"You can link directly to a shopping cart, checkout page, or pricing pages on other sites, and you can list prices for your images in your Flickr photo descriptions."

[Official thread] New commercial use section of Flickr Community Guidelines
www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157688094017033/

view photos

kmacgray says:

Mr.Filmguy:

They no longer honor those changes made in 2017

Can you point or link to where that is stated? The commercial use policy is still described in the same detail in the current Community Guidelines.

www.flickr.com/help/guidelines
kmacgray edited this topic 16 months ago.

view photos

abstractartangel77 says:

Very disappointing. SmugMug haven't wasted much time in upping the cost of Grandfathered Pro accounts. It was bound to happen at some point but I didn't expect it to so soon.

Perhaps they're hoping we'll all go on free accounts; I'd imagine there's far more money to be made in advertising than there is in charging for Pro..

view photos

skagitrenee says:

I too am sad and annoyed at such a huge jump in membership. I am due for renewal in just a couple months and will not benefit to see if Flickr improves.

That said, I am part of a community of many digital artists and enjoy participating in friendships (built over the last 11 years) and entering contests that further my artistic growth.

I will likely renew at least for another year to see and hope the new price is still worth it.

Sadly I have two good friends (who help admin in my groups) who will not be able to afford this price.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

abstractartangel77:

Perhaps they're hoping we'll all go on free accounts; I'd imagine there's far more money to be made in advertising than there is in charging for Pro

Maybe but ads are only seen on free accounts when signed out. There is plenty of ad spam though seen on both free and pro account when searching flickr. It makes any ads that flickr produce look non-existent in comparison.

view photos

skagitrenee says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:
Long time pro...never any ads all these years.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

skagitrenee:

You don't see these spam ads as i do ?

www.flickr.com/search/?text=Sale%20shoes

www.flickr.com/search/?text=Sale%20shirts

view photos

kmacgray says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

Those are not ads that appear on the Flickr website. Those are Flickr accounts being used to sell items. Two different things.

These are the ads that appear on the site:

www.flickr.com/gp/bar-art/E8X1YJ
kmacgray edited this topic 16 months ago.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

kmacgray:

I no but it makes flickrs ads look invisable when signed out compared to seeing all the spam ads.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

skagitrenee:

I'm a long time free member but never see any of flickrs ads ..They are only seen if sign out. I never view flickr often when signed out.

view photos

skagitrenee says:

kmacgray:

These are the ads that appear on the site:

I never see this.

view photos

skagitrenee says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:
I never sign out, not sure why one wants to.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

skagitrenee:

So why pay for pro when free accounts see no ads too when signed in?

view photos

kmacgray says:

skagitrenee:

I never see this

As a test, I picked a free account at random from the help forum, and browsed through their photostream while signed out. While I didn't see the ads I linked to above, I did see a Flickr house ad every 3 to 6 images as I advanced using the right arrow on the photo page.

view photos

Pacdog says:

I also only see Flickr ads when in my other free account when I browse Flickr...

view photos

Marta "999 Photos" Wojtkowska says:

kmacgray:

Incidentally my Opera (@Android TV Box) refuses to display those adds (even when I am not logged in). Sometimes I wonder what incredible offers I am missing... sigh...

view photos

~andre says:

abstractartangel77:

I'd imagine there's far more money to be made in advertising than there is in charging for Pro..
They tried that and it didn't work out very well. Pro subscriptions provide a steady revenue stream. There's a reason Google, Amazon and Microsoft clouds use the subscription model, not relying on ads revenue.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Pacdog:

I also only see Flickr ads when in my other free account when I browse Flickr...

Do you see them on your free account when signed into it? I don't on mine and have not in years the same as others have reported. What winds me up is all accounts that use flickr as for spam. Every shearch result is full of it.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

view photos

Pacdog says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

I meant only ads for Flickr.. No other ads from other companies.. Most are "upgrade to pro.. I'll go get a sample..

brb..

view photos

jschumacher says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

I'm trying to wrap my head around what you are saying.

Putting together your comments above, you say that when you are logged out of Flickr you search for a phrase that includes the word "sale". Said search returns results from accounts that show items for sale (thus misusing Flickr). Because you're logged out the search results that show "bad" ads are mixed in with the actual "good" Flickr ads that free accounts see. Because the "good" and "bad" ads show up in search results (when you are logged out and specifically searching for ads), you can't tell the difference between the "good" and "bad" ads.

However, you rarely use Flickr when logged out and you admit, after initially implying that Flickr ads and accounts that sell things are the same, that the two are different and you know the difference between the two.

Is that an accurate summary of what you're trying to say? If so, what is it you are trying to say? What you're saying doesn't make much sense, seems to be intentionally confusing and you're weighing in on an issue, a price increase for grandfathered pro accounts, that doesn't affect you.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

jschumacher:

Those sale spam ads are seen signed in or out. And they must also be seen by pro members when signed in or out too. Weather members see flickrs own ads or not the spam ads swamp flickr so much that that flickrs ads look nothing. I don't have shearch sale for spam ads to appear as they show a random in most shearch results. Sometimes they take up hundreds images in each shearch that doesn't have any words related to the word sale or buy.

Why pay for pro not to have ads when flickr is flooded with ads anywhy pro or not?

view photos

skagitrenee says:

adstads:
Please give me specific details of the difference between Pro an Free accounts.

Also how you see Free accounts changed in the near future (if at all).

view photos

Pacdog says:

Ads like this.. Only ads for Flickr in my free account..

ad2

view photos

~andre says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

Those sale spam ads are seen signed in or out. And they must also be seen by pro members when signed in or out too.
Not sure why do you keep bringing up these spam accounts. Do you complain to your email provider that you get spam? Mail providers fight it as hard as they can, same as Flickr, and some spam still gets through. It has nothing to do with the sales model of the primary service.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Pacdog:

I can not not remember the last time i saw one of those. Isn't that on the home page?

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

~andre:

The reason i go on about it is that i most often see more spam ads than photos. But i don't see flickrs own displayed ads to sale what ever.
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 16 months ago.

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Pacdog:

Advanced stats, indeed,haha!!

view photos

~andre says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

The reason i go on about it is that i most often see more spam ads than photos.
Well, it takes away from this discussion because seeing spam contents has nothing to do with Pro vs. free accounts and a bunch of effort for a bunch of people was spent to point out that spam contents is not the same thing as Flickr ads for free accounts and that all accounts suffer for this spam.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

~andre:

You are right but why pay for no flickr ads when there are no flickr ads when browsing flickr when signed in on free accounts. And seeing flickr flooded with spam ads and growing, why pay?

view photos

Pacdog says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

Isn't that on the home page?

Yes..

In my free account. No other ads seen there..

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Pacdog:

In my free account. No other ads seen there..

Its been like that for years..

view photos

~andre says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

You are right but why pay for no flickr ads when there are no flickr ads when browsing flickr when signed in on free accounts. And seeing flickr flooded with spam ads and growing, why pay?
It's like asking why eat breakfast if there are pick-pockets on your way to work. I guess there is no convincing you that one thing is not related to the other.

view photos

Pacdog says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

Its been like that for years..

No it has not..

I used to see normal non-flickr ads up to last year in the home page feed then they went away.

Well not for me in my free accounts.. I should of got screen shots, but I knew that was the deal..

view photos

jschumacher says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

It's not clear why you are so invested in how other people spend their money. This announcement only affects long-time paid accounts. Those of us with grandfathered Pro accounts, and we make up only a very small percentage of Flickr users, will, as the announcement stated, "still get unlimited, full-resolution uploads; ad-free browsing and no ads served on your photos; advanced stats; great industry discounts". Grandfathered account holders will need to weigh whether maintaining those benefits is worth the extra cost.

I'm going to guess that people who have been paying for an account for over five years are well aware of the value of Pro vs. free accounts and will be able to make the best choice for themselves as to whether or not to pay the higher subscription fee.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

~andre:

I see no reason to pay for somthing not to be there when browsing that doesn't even exist anywhy. I'm sure im not the only free member that sees it this way.

If the spam ads continue to grow at the fast rate as they are right now no one will want to use flickr free or pro.

view photos

Pacdog says:

jschumacher:

I'm going to guess that people who have been paying for an account for over five years are well aware of the value of Pro vs. free accounts and will be able to make the best choice for themselves as to whether or not to pay the higher subscription fee.

I have been a Pro account holder sense 2005. I'm not happy. Read my other comments here I have posted. As far as I'm concerned the timing sucks to hike up grandfathered accounts..

view photos

ernstkers says:

Alas the Help Forum is a very old part of Flickr, so staff likely has no option to limit this thread to those who it concerns: people with grandfathered pro accounts. That would keep out people with free accounts spamming this thread with their favourite off-topic subject.

view photos

Pacdog says:

ernstkers:

I'm sure staff can remove any spam as they see fit here. I will admit it would be nice to have a group just for all the grandfathered account holders.. =o)

view photos

jschumacher says:

Pacdog:

I am in complete agreement. I would have been much happier if the price increase were accompanied by some improvement in services.

That said, I'll grumble a bit and almost certainly renew at the higher rate.

view photos

Pacdog says:

I'm still at a loss why they did away with pro gift subs. I spent over $300 buying others pro gifts.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Pacdog:

I'm still at a loss why they did away with pro gift subs.

Five years ago Yahoo choose for a business model with the emphasis on free accounts and ads. New pro accounts couldn't be bought again, so that was the end of the gift too. I guess Yahoo expected that most existing members with pro accounts would let expire their pro status and after some time the pro accounts would be ended all. It didn't work like that. I think the majority of the pro account holders renewed and the ads hardly came. So after a few years the ability to buy pro returned, but it was all half-hearted. Perhaps the new owners will return the gift too. Did you ask for it in the wish thread?

view photos

Pacdog says:

ernstkers:

Did you ask for it in the wish thread?

Yes. A few times.

I spent over $300 so I can imagine many others did also. That was fun back then (2005-2009) to gift others with pro accounts. I know a few I did are still pro.. Not sure how much longer... *sad face*

view photos

~andre says:

One silly thing Flickr is doing is keeping Pro at one level, so somebody like me, who uses inly 7GB of storage pays the same who fills up their 1TB. Flickr's costs include storage, computing power for scaling, inage recognition, etc and networking and all of these costs are much lower for many users and Flickr could keep those users as subscribers if they had Pro levels based on image sizes.

view photos

Bebopgirl1969 says:

My renewal isn’t up for another year, so like some others I’ll also wait and see if any improvements are made before I decide what to do. However, if I’m going to be expected to pay double the price in future, then I really would like to see some incentives and improvements, for instance:
—the ability to shut off auto-tags completely (and make that a choice, so people who like them can keep them)
—stats that are based in actual clicks on photos
—a site that runs more smoothly and actually takes pages out of beta (how long has the Groups page been beta, anyway?)
—and easier way to leave a lot of groups at once, or at the very least a more stable Groups page that loads consistenly
—site fixes that would make the place look nicer (for instance, on iPad using Safari the photo page is all out of whack, the header is farther to the left than the photos, and when you look at an individual photo the icons overlap the thumbnails, making it hard to, say, delete a photo, because it will jus pull up the thumbnail under the icon)
—update/fix the app so Safari isn’t needed in the first place

I have to say that for what we’re getting now, I feel no desire to double my payment. If improvements are made or Pro accounts are given more “perks” for paying, then maybe. But doubling the price when nothing has been fixed yet and the servers/company are in the midst of a huge change feels like a cheap shot.

view photos

Pacdog says:

~andre:

I'm at 18 GB's. that is .018 of the TB limit which I have unlimited so please tell me why I should pay $50? I'm not sure what is going on, but I'm still really pissed.

view photos

Pacdog says:

What is SmugMug going to do next? Tell Us We are also loosing Unlimited storage? I'm really pissed.

How pissed do I have to say I'm am? Where are the Hero's ? Yeah kinda busy moving Flickr. Look I'm a Flickr Fan, but Smug? Bad move !

view photos

kmacgray says:

Bebopgirl1969:

how long has the Groups page been beta, anyway?

A little over five years.

view photos

Pacdog says:

Every old school member of Flickr knows SmugMug bought you from Verizon / Yahoo / . But We also know this site We love needs some love from you and not this. I know just me. Dammit.. Bad timing and a really bad move.

Talk with the Alpha group!! That had to be said!

view photos

Pacdog says:

Mr.Filmguy:

I'm not sure what they wanted at this point.

Super Hero's is not what I'm seeing at this point.

I have a few months before I have to make my decision to stay Pro sense 2005 or not. At this point I'm leaning towards leaving. deleting all my accounts and just walking. Yes! I'm really pissed.

view photos

Pacdog says:

If I leave every photo will be deleted.

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

You can all expect to have to pay more for less because it's the trend now. Doesn't matter how much of the system you are currently using. Yes, greed is taking over. Oh, but I forgot, they want to "revive" the community. Remember those big empty promises that everybody believed when they took over Flickr? How many believed that they are such a nice "family" and that they care about Flickr!! I never believed that. They won't revive anything, and actually, they might even kill more. I don't know, but actually most of the people I interact with don't have pro accounts. They seem to be doing fine for now until they change things to try forcing free account holders into paying.

After all, Smugmug itself is an expensive site. Oh, but I forget there are so many "brilliant" photographers using that platform. Great photographers were found years ago on Flickr, not Smugmug. Those great photographers have found a way without resorting to either Smugmug or Flickr. If we don't want to pay for this lousy service, then that's what we will have to do. Complaining is not going to change a thing.

It never made sense to me that they would want to maintain 2 sites. Why would they do that? They will force Flickr members to pay more, get less so that these people eventually migrate to Smugmug. And who knows, down the line they might kill Flickr. But if they don't, they will be sure to get everything they can from us fools using this site.

Yes, the site gets your information and makes your work available for anybody to steal it. That's what we pay for.

Actually not only do I want to get out of Flickr, but also out of the internet entirely.

It's incredible that with all the problems this site has, we are asked to pay more. And they wont' fix it. But actually it's not so incredible because that's what the phone companies do too. I have basic internet, am not using it that much per their allocation, and yet they raise their price. As long as people accept this, corporations will indulge...

view photos

Viejito says:

Pacdog:

I'm leaning towards leaving. deleting all my accounts

Is a free account so terrible without stats?

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Mr.Filmguy:

Flickr was always aimed at hobbyists, which is not necessarily bad, but it doesn't attract serious professionals.

That's not entirely correct. I know working pros who post on Flickr. In fact, working pros will use any platform they can to be known and sell their stuff or services. And the professional photographers I'm talking about are not BS photographers! They make a living from their work, have published books, teach classes regularly etc. (I have attended some...).I would even say some are even quite prominent.

Now, it's true that there used to be a greater number of pros on Flickr, but they have not all disappeared.

view photos

pamelaadam says:

I thought this would happen eventually. I have had problems since 2004 back then it was pretty cheap with a strong pound. I have a few months left of my subs to think over the cost now the eejit brexiters have done a number on our currancy
pamelaadam edited this topic 16 months ago.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
(1 to 100 of 1330 replies in Flickr grandfathered Pro subscriptions)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads