Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans
Latest: 32 minutes ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 2 hours ago
Mobile app update: stats on the go.
Latest: 33 hours ago
Has the Gift Option been re-instated?
Latest: 2 days ago
[Official Thread] CEO Don MacAskill responses to Free and Pro account threads
Latest: 5 weeks ago

Current Discussion

How do I mass download my 18000 pics now that I can only have 1000?
Latest: 4 minutes ago
tags
Latest: 9 minutes ago
US Pro = $49.99. Non-US Pro = $59.99....Why
Latest: 42 minutes ago
AFTER De-duplication
Latest: 67 minutes ago
Comments not posting
Latest: 2 hours ago
The "All Activity" page doesn't display in Firefox, only the "Let's be candid..." announcement
Latest: 3 hours ago
Flickr seems unduly slow lately
Latest: 5 hours ago
Can I merge two flickr accounts?
Latest: 5 hours ago
Photo Editor not working
Latest: 6 hours ago
How to find the galleries that contain my photos
Latest: 10 hours ago
Will SmugMug honor Pro memberships purchased prior to their acquisition of Flickr?
Try to delete a photo but it doesnt show up in my camera roll
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug - Discussion Post

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

Hi Flickr Fam,
As you may have read by now on the Flickr Blog, in the press, or via the service email we’re sending to every Flickr member, today is a big day. Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug.

We are very excited by the news and look forward to providing more specifics as we have them. After nearly 14 years at Yahoo and Oath, we’re moving to a smaller, more photography-focused family, which we think will be great for Flickr and for you. SmugMug is dedicated to photography and to photographers, and has been since 2002.

At the staff level, they are quirky like us, funny like us (at least I like to think I’m funny), and they are committed to the power of visual storytelling. Many of them have been Flickr members for as long as you and I have, and they are thrilled to welcome us into their world.

Ok, dude, yada yada, let’s get to the questions already! Looking forward to your comments, questions, and musings in the thread below.

thanks,
Matthew Roth
Flickr Team

What’s going to happen to my Flickr account?
At present, nothing. You will continue to log in with your current credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience you are used to. If things do change in the future, we’ll be as transparent as possible about the process and give you as much notice as we can about the issues that will matter to you.

Will anything happen to my photos or will they be moved?
You’ll still be able to access your photos as you do currently and they’ll retain the same flickr.com URL as always.

Wait, what exactly is SmugMug?
SmugMug is a photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers. SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, photographers can create beautiful portfolios, use a powerful e-commerce platform to sell their photos, preserve their memories, and stand out with great options for showcasing their work.

I got an email saying I have until May 25, 2018 to opt out of SmugMug’s Terms of Service and then my Flickr account will be governed by them. Explain please?
As part of the acquisition, all Flickr accounts will move to SmugMug’s Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. You have until May 25, 2018 to either either accept their Terms or opt out. If you do nothing in that time, your account will simply transition from the current Yahoo Terms of Service to SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy. If you don’t want to make this change, you can delete your Flickr account through your Account Settings. If you want to preserve a copy of your photos, be sure to download them from your Camera Roll first!

We encourage you to read SmugMug’s Terms in detail, as you would with any site where you host your photos. It is worth noting that SmugMug has prided itself on having very photographer-friendly terms without some of the standard verbiage and licenses that many platforms grant themselves to use your data in a way that best suits them. This is one of the reasons we’re thrilled to have found a new home at SmugMug.

What are SmugMug’s plans for Flickr? Will the products be merged?
SmugMug loves Flickr and they want us to keep on being Flickr. There is no plan to merge the products. As we spend more time with the SmugMug team, we hope to find ways to coordinate our development work and provide two great destinations dedicated to visual storytellers and creatives.

Will my Flickr Pro subscription change?
You’ll remain a Flickr Pro member and continue to enjoy all the benefits of a Pro membership. We’ve just started offering a 45-day free trial for new Pros who sign up for a yearly subscription. We’re also extending this offer to folks who may have been Pro in the past and want to come back to give it a try. Learn more on our Pro page.

Will Flickr continue to have free accounts?
Yes. When Flickr joins SmugMug on May 25th, we will continue to offer free Flickr accounts.

Do I still have to log in to Flickr with my Yahoo login?
Yes. During our transition process, you will continue to sign in using your existing login credentials. Over time, Flickr’s sign-in will be separated from Yahoo’s and when that happens, you’ll have the ability to choose how you log in.

I actually can’t remember what my login is -- can you help me?
If you are unable to log in to your Flickr account, please start by going through the Yahoo Help Page for Flickr and click the “Contact us” link on the lower left. Follow the prompts there to communicate with a Customer Care agent.

I have a SmugMug account -- will my accounts be merged?
No, your SmugMug and Flickr accounts will remain separate and independent for the foreseeable future.

When are you going to fix Explore?
Ha! Nice try. You know the first rule of Explore is that we don’t talk about Explore.

Honestly, though, there are numerous parts of Flickr that we plan to improve and SmugMug supports our desire to make your Flickr experience better. Before making any significant changes to the Flickr experience, SmugMug is committed to spending time getting to know the community and listening to your needs. We will share updates as we map out our future together.

What happens to the Flickr staff that we all know and love?
You can’t get rid of us that easily!

How can I keep up to date on the changes?
For any significant changes to your Flickr service, we will send you a service email like the one we’re sending about the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy changes noted above. For other updates, we’ll make announcements in-product, on the Flickr Blog, here in the Flickr Help Forum, and on Twitter.
Posted at 2:45PM, 20 April 2018 PST ( permalink )
adstads (staff) edited this topic 8 months ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(1 to 100 of 904 replies in [Official Thread] Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug - Discussion Post)
view photos

RailwayScene says:

This is VERY welcome news. Hopefully this is onward and upward for Flickr, and an improved experience for members.
Posted 8 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads says:

Yeeeeeehawwwwww! This is going to be great.

view photos

ucumari photography says:

Let's hope this is a good acquisition for everyone. Hopefully nothing radical will be done with our photostreams.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY excited about this, I was beginning to worry about Flickr....but based on my experience with Smugmug so far, I feel like you/we are in good hands.

So when are you going to fix Explo......oh, uh...nevermind.

view photos

Viejito says:

Now you are telling us! Just after I agreed to the Oath nonsense!...

view photos

Carol (Nona) says:

This sounds very exciting and I am so glad we will have our same Flickr staff!!!

view photos

aenee says:

I hope this will make Flickr better because lately I had some problems, I'm worried

view photos

simonov says:

This is good news for Flickr and Flickr members. Not that the existing management are bad guys, I'm just not convinced Flickr had a rosy future as part of Oath.

view photos

JamesWired says:

My fingers and toes are all crossed.

view photos

Robert Drozda says:

On the surface this sounds like a good thing. I don't know anything about SmugMug, but some questions were answered in this post.
Also,FYI, I didn't receive any "service email" about this.

Good luck and best wishes!

view photos

mag3737 says:

Holy cow! (Slides onto edge of seat and grabs popcorn.)

view photos

mimbrava says:

I sure hope SmugMug will retain our albums, groups and galleries.

view photos

Dick Shattuck says:

I'm a new (less than a year) SmugMug member, so I don't have the time
or emotional investment there that I do here, but one thing I've learned about SmugMug... they have absolutely terrific customer service. I've emailed questions several times and, without fail, have received a response within an hour.

Not a knock on this help forum at all, but obviously, the higher-ups at flickr haven't cared about the product for a long time.

I think this is great news.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Norby says:

Robert Drozda:

Emails are on their way, we can't send them to all of you at once :)

-/\/

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

Ok, first person to guess who is in the Panda suit from the promotional shot in this photo gets a free year of Flickr Pro (if you're already Pro, you can give it to another member of your choosing).

Together is Better

view photos

mimbrava says:

Dick Shattuck:

Good to know. Thanks.

view photos

mimbrava says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

You?

view photos

johncpiercy says:

Congrats to Flickr and SmugMug , I hope this is a seamless and hassle free merge !
What Exciting News !

view photos

An_Anteros says:

Don't know much about SmugMug, but I'm happy to see very positive attitude here, finally. So that gives me the confidence that is is something quite positive. Fingers crossed for all of us!

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Dick Shattuck:

they have absolutely terrific customer service. I've emailed questions several times and, without fail, have received a response within an hour.

+1

When I was first setting up my Smugmug website, I emailed customer service, and they helped me customize it every step of the way...at one point, I wanted something specific that I showed them an example of, and they literally went under the hood and did it all for me. They surely went above and beyond.

view photos

An_Anteros says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Don MacAskill?

view photos

Mendip Wildlife says:

Anything the removes flickr from the nonsense of Yahoo has got to be a good thing and as a smugmug account holder, I now feel flickr finally has a better future.

view photos

excellent start says:

Good luck.

view photos

mimbrava says:

The first change: Flickr logo's blue and pink balls on one's home page have become donuts.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

guess who is in the Panda suit

Eric Willis?

(the body language matches the facial expression in his profile pic ;-)

view photos

mag3737 says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Stewart.

view photos

shandrew says:

Matthew Almon Roth: (Panda)

I know this one :)

This is super exciting for me. Flickr taught me all about photography starting in 2006, and led me to SmugMug just a few years later!

Andrew (not in a panda suit)

view photos

Michele*mp says:

Matthew Almon Roth

Champagne !
(French champagne of course, not California champagne.)

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

....and "Flickr" is trending on Twitter!

view photos

qt flickr says:

I, too, hope this will be a positive change for all of us long-time Flickr users. Many of my former contacts bailed out when various unannounced changes were made to Flickr. I only decided to stay because I have made a network of contacts (many of whom I have met in person) that I did not want to lose. I guess we shall see!

view photos

Charles G. Haacker says:

I've been around long enough to remember the last major change in Flickr that drove many of my old friends off the site (probably to SmugMug). It seemed everyone was furious and hardly anyone liked the changes, we just bit the bullet and got used to them. It's been long enough now that I am very, very comfortable with the way things are and I sincerely, devoutly hope that things do NOT change. Change for the sake of change is rarely a picnic. I came to Flickr in 2009 when the Kodak site went defunct along with The Great Yellow Father himself. I now have more than 10,000 photos up and the last thing I want to have to do is take them all down and move them. I've been assiduous about captioning. Would I lose all that? I see where a lot of folks are excited. I am less excited than anxious.

view photos

Mister Day says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Jared Kushner?

view photos

teh resa says:

I had a smugmug account way back in...2007? Anyway, I didn't keep paying it and I *think* they may have deleted all my pictures, not sure. Could find the name and login, possibly. I'd like it back if it is just in hiding, waiting for me to subscribe again.

I liked how you could use a smugmug account to power a personal photography website, but couldn't justify the cost.

view photos

Love Life - Take Photos says:

Does Oath now own both Smugmug and Flickr? Or has Oath since sold Flickr to Smugmug?

view photos

teh resa says:

Love Life - Take Photos:

good question

view photos

teh resa says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

George? ( I can't remember the rest of her name, early staff involved in creating flickr commons)

view photos

Pacdog says:

Love Life - Take Photos:

Does Oath now own both Smugmug and Flickr?

No! SmugMug bought Flickr from Oath..

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

An_Anteros:

Don MacAskill?

You got it! I'll send you a coupon for a Pro membership via FlickrMail.

Incidentally, we were really excited when we were discussing the marketing materials for the launch and SM told us their plan for that shoot with the clowns on the Harley from the video. www.smugmug.com/together/

Not only did they mention that they would have a person in a panda suit (unfortunately who doesn't know about Flickr pandas), they also suggested playing on the theme of donuts. Super impressed they knew about our culture to do that unprompted. www.flickr.com/groups/wedemanddonuts/

So yeah, SmugMug's CEO got in the panda suit for the photo shoot.
:)

view photos

Pacdog says:

teh resa:

George?

George Oats.
www.flickr.com/photos/george/

view photos

Surely Shirly says:

My memory is SmugBug has no free option. I have a free account on Flickr. Is it turning into a pumpkin

view photos

waferbaby says:

What?! Why wasn’t I consulted?! Change it back! Everything works fine as is in my 32-bit custom version of Firefox!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

IamJim6:

I have a free account on Flickr. Is it turning into a pumpkin

see the Q&A above.

view photos

shadowshador says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

I hope we all get to keep the sets and collections?

Im a taxonomist of marine malacology of the class: gastropoda, mostly working with the order: neogastropoda. I use Flickr as a database to list the scientific classifications which are hyperlinked to each set and collection of there taxon ranking.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

waferbaby:

What?! Why wasn’t I consulted?! Change it back! Everything works fine as is in my 32-bit custom version of Firefox!

We wanted to let you know, but we knew you wouldn't be able to contain your excitement and then no exclusive with the USA Today.

view photos

waferbaby says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

I made a blood oath, you KNOW that.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

waferbaby:

Flickr's been going downhill ever since SmugMug took over..they turned Explore into a shoddy collection of buses and birds ;-)

view photos

_Shervin says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

I'm very happy about Flickr not being part of Verizon, Yahoo, et. I want to be able to cut off from them 100% starting with my log in credentials. Is Flickr free of Verizon/Yahoo yet? They are the reason I stopped using it and was about to delete my Flickr account.

Can I delete my Yahoo log in? Is Verizon/Yahoo going to know my log in credentials?

view photos

Michele*mp says:

waferbaby:

What is Firefox, I only use Netscape !

view photos

mag3737 says:

_Shervin:

All of your questions are answered (or implied) in the message at the top.

view photos

jschumacher says:

Well, this is an interesting and exciting development!

view photos

An_Anteros says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Hehe, that was easy... Thanks! Now you may get Don out of the costume, although he is looking kind of cool in it... :)

view photos

teh resa says:

Shervin:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Do I still have to log in to Flickr with my Yahoo login?
Yes. During our transition process, you will continue to sign in using your existing login credentials. Over time, Flickr’s sign-in will be separated from Yahoo’s and when that happens, you’ll have the ability to choose how you log in.

One of the benefits of a help forum thread is the interactive back and forth. Yes,l there are details buried in the main post, and in the terms of service, but the Q&A thread with answers to individual questions works better for keeping people up to speed. Frankly, I have a hard time ploughing through TOS and long posts

view photos

Elliott Cowand says:

Dear SmugMug,

Please leave even a very limited free version of Flickr intact!
(I'd even accept popup ads over a paid account).

view photos

Shiny moniree in sl 5 says:

Will SmugMug fix all the bugs and errors?

view photos

mag3737 says:

teh resa:

the Q&A thread with answers to individual questions works better for keeping people up to speed

I disagree. This is only practical if all involved/interested parties are sitting on the page hitting the Refresh (or Reply) button every 37 seconds. It's useless for a temporary/short-term visitor to the page.

view photos

simonov says:

An_Anteros:

Don't know much about SmugMug, but I'm happy to see very positive attitude here, finally. So that gives me the confidence that is is something quite positive. Fingers crossed for all of us!

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to find something to complain about.

view photos

waferbaby says:

Someone hold me.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric Willis says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

view photos

Kitty Yamabushi < dokitten in SL > says:

I noticed SmugMug is an all-pay platform, any account has to be paid. Will Flickr dump the free 1 TB and free accounts?

view photos

Flickr Staff

alexseville says:

waferbaby:

I hold you in my mind always

view photos

Elliott Cowand says:

:

Viejito,
Thanks for the SmugMug.com link:
Will Flickr continue to offer a free version? Will Flickr’s price change?

Absolutely. Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers. We are not making any changes to Flickr plans or rates at this time. We’ll let Flickr Pro customers know if that changes.
Elliott Cowand edited this topic 8 months ago.

view photos

Viejito says:

IamJim6:

I have a free account on Flickr. Is it turning into a pumpkin

I do not really see this answered above, but it says here:

Absolutely. Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers. We are not making any changes to Flickr plans or rates at this time. We’ll let Flickr Pro customers know if that changes.

view photos

waferbaby says:

Will the Tuna Blaster remain free, or will that change going forward?

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

Congrats to all involved. Looks like a great move.

view photos

Kitty Yamabushi < dokitten in SL > says:

Thanks Viejito for finding that for us!

If funny though how "Absolutely." Answers both questions in there, offering an exact oposite answer for each ... lol.

I supose we can just hope that "at this time" extends to "ever" in what concerns the free ones. *hunts for falling stars pics to make a wish...*

view photos

teh resa says:

mag3737:

I disagree with you too

view photos

HaarFager (Pro) says:

Oh, great! (Spoken sarcastically so my meaning will hopefully come through.) Flickr imploded in May 2013 just two days after I had renewed my Pro membership. Looks like something unknown is going to happen again at about the same point in time. Well, we shall see what happens....

view photos

Flickr Staff

Norby says:

waferbaby:

*Blood Oath Offer only valid in the lower 48 states and territorial United States. Must be present to redeem. Australia is right out.

-/\/

(P.S. Tuna Blaster sold separately)

view photos

coloursofthemorning says:

Everything is awesome
coloursofthemorning edited this topic 8 months ago.

view photos

HaarFager (Pro) says:

An_Anteros:

happy to see very positive attitude here

They had a positive attitude in May 2013 as well. And how did that work out for ya? I'll answer for you - not very well.

view photos

teh resa says:

_Shervin:

Is Verizon/Yahoo going to know my log in credentials?

probably...not? Or not any longer?

view photos

mag3737 says:

This answer on Smugmug's FAQ about the acquisition could use a little spit and polish:

Will anything happen to my photos? Will they be moved?

No, you’ll still be able to access your photos as you do currently and they’ll retain the same Flickr or SmugMug URL as always. Over time, we’ll be migrating Flickr onto SmugMug’s technology infrastructure, and your Flickr photos will move as a part of this migration—but the photos themselves will remain on Flickr.

"your Flickr photos will move"
but also
"the photos themselves will remain" ?

view photos

Temari 09 says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Ok Matthew - Tag You're IT! (I think you make a really cute Panda)
:D

view photos

pedrik says:

I think/hope this is good news for Flickr. At least the new owners are lovers of photography, that's a lot more than the previous owners..

Overall I think this is good news!

view photos

Temari 09 says:

If our images and groups are going to SmugMug, then WHY do we have to sign that long Oath thing???

Is it because it's only for Yahoo users???

view photos

HaarFager (Pro) says:

simonov:

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to find something to complain about.

Thank you.

view photos

Viejito says:

mag3737:

but also

Flickr will move, and the photos will move with Flickr, remaining on Flickr... I think...;-)

view photos

teh resa says:

Temari 09:

If our images and groups are going to SmugMug, then WHY do we have to sign that long Oath thing???

Do you still have the option to "do this later"?

view photos

* RICHARD M (Over 8 MILLION VIEWS) says:

Damn!

Does this mean that in future, old codgers like me won't have as many reasons, and/or opportunities to moan & groan and whinge & whine in the help forums?

Heh, heh, heh.
//8^)

view photos

HaarFager (Pro) says:

I actually came here to complain about seeing an ad for a thing called "Smug Mug" when I am a paid subscriber and thought I wasn't supposed to see ads. But, now I see what all the hoopla is about. Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

view photos

teh resa says:

Viejito:

Flickr will move, and the photos will move with Flickr, remaining on Flickr... I think...;-)

flickr servers...which will be owned by smugmug?

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

Man, it actually sounds like great news. I hope I'm not wrong...

> When are you going to fix Explore?

LOL.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Sounds good.

Good luck with the move. :-)

view photos

Flickr Staff

alexseville says:

* RICHARD M (Over 7 MILLION VIEWS):
It wouldn't be the Flickr Forum without at least a little moaning & groaning and whinging & whining 😀

view photos

Elliott Cowand says:

Viejito:

I do not really see this answered above, but it says here:

Yes! Just what I wanted to hear.

view photos

simonov says:

mag3737:

but also

It's hard to imagine supporting two separate infrastructures would be cost effective long term.

My guess is that Flickr and SmugMug features will merge and overlap in time, so SmugMug has only one platform to support. Whether or not they maintain the Flickr branding after that is anyoen's guess, but it's possible it will no longer matter.

view photos

ClairelyClaire says:

What will happen to Flickr Pro users grandfathered in with unlimited storage? Will we still be allowed to retain that benefit?

view photos

bhautik_joshi says:

chaaaaaannggeee iiiitttt baaaaaaaccckkkkk

view photos

bhautik_joshi says:

Seriously though, congrats folks :D

view photos

agoodfella minifigs says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Another Panda.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

bhautik_joshi:

chaaaaaannggeee iiiitttt baaaaaaaccckkkkk

wait, you want to come back and work with us?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

mag3737:

but also

You will still access your photos through your account. The backend infrastructure will change from Oath/Yahoo to the stack that SmugMug uses (AWS).

view photos

kmacgray says:

Do we get an upgraded help forum with SmugMug that has all kinds of shiny new dinguses??

;)

view photos

kh1234567890 says:

shifuimam:

What will happen to Flickr Pro users grandfathered in with unlimited storage? Will we still be allowed to retain that benefit?

That is an interesting one - what will happen to our accounts ?

view photos

kmacgray says:

kh1234567890:

It's all explained in the first post.

view photos

jschumacher says:

kmacgray:

Why would someone read the first post?

view photos

kmacgray says:

jschumacher:

Some things will never change.

view photos

teh resa says:

shifuimam: The answer to your speculative question "explained in the first post" might be this bit here:

Matthew Almon Roth:

If things do change in the future, we’ll be as transparent as possible about the process and give you as much notice as we can about the issues that will matter to you.

view photos

Bebopgirl1969 says:

Wowzers! Exciting!

view photos

teh resa says:

I remember when yahoo photos were merged with flickr photos. Because I had more than one yahoo account, I ended up getting several free flickr pro accounts when I transfered my yahoo photos to flickr. I was even able to start up new yahoo photos accounts just for the purpose of transitioning to a free 3 month flickr pro account. Good times!

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(1 to 100 of 904 replies in [Official Thread] Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug - Discussion Post)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads