Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Updates to the Flickr Android App
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Official Thread] An update on Flickr search
Latest: 15 hours ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 5 weeks ago
[Official Thread] A new home for your events
Latest: 6 weeks ago

Current Discussion

Flickr modifying exif data when displaying
Latest: 2 hours ago
I am unable to renew my PRO account in the account page
Latest: 2 hours ago
Sensor Dust
Latest: 3 hours ago
Smugmug terms for photowalk group photos be careful
Latest: 4 hours ago
"Invalid email or password"
Latest: 8 hours ago
What’s the deal with moderated groups?
Latest: 13 hours ago
Batch moving images between albums.
Latest: 16 hours ago
cover photo
Latest: 18 hours ago
There was an error: flickr.collections.createIcon #4
Latest: 29 hours ago
Safe search is always moderate
Latest: 32 hours ago
Photo in maximum number of groups
Group stats photography counter going nuts
More...

Search the Help Forum

Stats Questions

adamopal says:

How come the all time views don't match visits number?

For example the all times stats could say 350 but the visits number could be 2032/
Posted at 8:01AM, 15 April 2019 PST ( permalink )

view photos

mag3737 says:

Well known error, reported in dozens (maybe hundreds?) of threads here over the years. No known solution.
Posted 8 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Marta "999 Photos" Wojtkowska says:

adamopal:

This question has been asked many times with no apparent explanation other than the numbers are harvested from different counting algorithms.

view photos

kmacgray says:

adamopal:

Yes, try searching past topics. It's been discussed to death.

view photos

~andre says:

Common misunderstanding. Visits and views should never match, except for the first view, because they are completely different things.

When I look at somebody's photo, I visit that account, so the visit count and the view count goes up by one. When I refresh the page or view other things on Flickr and then come back, my visit is still one, but the views will be two.

view photos

mag3737 says:

~andre:

Those sound like sensible enough definitions of the terms "visit" and "view", but has there ever been any assertion by Flickr (or analysis by users that confirms) that the commonly-perceived-as-contradictory stats do indeed reflect the quantities you've described?

view photos

kmacgray says:

Photos don't even need to be displayed within the viewport to register a view.

Weird.

view photos

This Lighthouse Says says:

But the real mystery is how can today’s views be, say ‘250’, but all time views be ‘77’. Only in the flickrverse...

view photos

~andre says:

This Lighthouse Says:

But the real mystery is how can today’s views be, say ‘250’, but all time views be ‘77’. Only in the flickrverse...

Different issue - that one was covered in discussions before and it seems to be caused by lack of good synchronization in their distributed infrastructure, so total views are not aggregated properly or on time (not sure if it ever catches up).

mag3737:

Visits vs. page views are common terms in web traffic analysis, so it would make sense that Flickr used them this way. Years ago I tested views and I could see them counting up when I refreshed the photo page. I don't think there was (or may be I didn't notice at the time) a visit count in the original stats.

One note on the visit is that the common technique in web traffic analysis is to observe a visit timeout for sites that don't kill sessions, like Flickr. That is, a series of HTTP requests that are closer apart than the visit timeout, which is usually about 30 minutes or so, are considered as one visit. Then another series of requests, say, an hour later, would be another visit.

It would be easy to verify - one would have to share a guest pass to a private album/photo and refresh the photo page a dozen times, then give it a couple hours and do it again. The stats should reflect two visits and a bunch of views. I just never got around to do it.

view photos

mag3737 says:

~andre:

Hmm, I never noticed the word "Visits" in the stats before having this discussion. I guess it's plausible that number could be counting visits in the web traffic sense, but considering Flickr's erratic historical track record for UX, I'm afraid it feels at least as plausible that they just carelessly interchanged the words.

view photos

conall.. says:

i have noticed frequently (not always but at least half the time or more) that for pictures uploaded the same day, the number of "all time views" is precisely half the views today.

Capture

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads