Flickr not generating zip file
Latest: 69 seconds ago
Images Missing
Latest: 2 minutes ago
updating photos gets deleted
Latest: 5 minutes ago
Placing images on the map not working
Latest: 13 minutes ago
Why won’t my photos delete or remove from my album?
Latest: 59 minutes ago
What is going on Explore now?
Latest: 66 minutes ago
How to upload RAW file formats (.DNG, .NEF)
Latest: 77 minutes ago
cannot log in on ipad 2 and flickr app
Latest: 82 minutes ago
Uploads Timing Out Error - Which part is timing out?
Latest: 2 hours ago
Upload from iOS
Latest: 2 hours ago
Pictures disappeared and are now white or blank
Latest: 3 hours ago
Replacing images
Latest: 3 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

serious performance issues, timeouts, errors over past several days

Retronaut says:

What is causing the horrendous performance over the past several days? Every aspect of the service is unreliable at present. Photostreams won't load, or won't load completely, and individual images won't load completely, including album and group information. I am constantly having to refresh an image in order to update a description, a tag, album information, etc.....due to incomplete loads. What is the issue and when can a fix be anticipated? Thank you.
Posted at 9:07AM, 12 February 2019 PDT ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Center for Burma Studies says:

Yeah it's been ridiculous. Especially after paying so much for Pro and now it's acting horribly.
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

ucumari photography says:

Agreed, it's performing horribly right now.

view photos

abstractartangel77 says:

Retronaut:

Every aspect of the service is unreliable at present.
I totally agree with you.

view photos

Timur Sonnar says:

Yes it's very bad, I cant post awards getting errors, tags......

view photos

pgoeltz says:

Retronaut:

thank you if it works at all no uploads pages missing, no CS

view photos

Allan Jones Photographer says:

Why are no flickr staff commenting. Currently so buggy I cannot use it

view photos

mikek666 says:

Getting worse here. For the first time the log out took ages to work! Flickr should spend less time deleting photos and more time fixing problems.

view photos

Carla@ says:

I agree, it's very bad.

view photos

ronnie.savoie (off on a cruise) says:

Now I can't even add my photo to a group off of the photo's page, because groups won't load at all.

view photos

the foreign photographer - ฝรั่งถ่ says:

Yes, I agree. It's very frustrating to be on Flickr these last few days. No fun at all.

view photos

keithhull (Offline ) says:

I have been with flickr for over a decade and I have never known it to be working so poorly > In a twenty minute session trying to comment on contacts photos I had to reload a page at least nine times

Its been about 48 hours since anyone from the staff took the time to comment or do they think its fixed

view photos

Flaushi & Friends says:

keithhull:

Keith, ditto for me and my friends as well!

Under another thread on here, I discovered that the staff claimed all the issues were fixed three days ago. Everyone on that thread has kept reaching out to the staff to let them know that nothing has been resolved, but the staff has labeled that thread as fixed so maybe they are not checking it anymore:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157703646762594/page7/

view photos

steved5660 says:

I worry for Flickr. I think what we see here in the forums is just the tip of the iceberg. Only those that really care about the ongoing success of the platform will come here and post their issues (or submit the bug form) in the hope that things will be fixed. Everyone else will see the problems and just go somewhere else regardless of the functionality.

I did have over 3,500 photos in my stream. Many of those were linked to my long term blog and posted in other interest forums I frequent. Rather than pay another subscription (I can afford it but they all add up) I spent the time to host my photos on my own blog and then reduce my photos here to well under 1,000 and see how things go. So far I'm just seeing way too many issues to keep me here for too long. It seems that even Pro accounts are not receiving the service they have paid for.

I sincerely hope that Flickr can get their act together quickly. People will lose patience and leave if they're not careful.

view photos

my.travels says:

It is Panda time for Flickr. I just do not understand why I am paying for this bad service.

view photos

pgoeltz says:

my.travels:

right and i just found out i cant join any group??? no uploading 1000s picture and folders gone, no CS and paid.

view photos

helmet13 says:

Dear Admins:

@retronaut: Thanks for high-lighting this again because each and every activity needs minimum 1 reload since days:

- comments / awards
- faves
- opening one of my own pictures
- opening a contributor's image
- opening my own statistics
- opening the list of groups I am a member of

The following messages appear randomly:

- Pandas
- Bad Gateway
- we are currently unable to open the picture - please try again
- comments cannot be displayed - please reload again
- your comment cannot be posted
- it is currently impossible to fave
- this is not the link you wanted to open

I'm using Windows 10 Pro + Firefox... but the same happened on Edge and Chrome.

Please solve this.

Thanks,
helmet13

view photos

supreme afternoon says:

Did Flickr staff take our money and decide to spend it on a long vacation filled with cocaine and hookers? Did nobody stay behind to make sure the service works as advertised?

view photos

kmacgray says:

TGuruAvinash:

Your account is likely to be deleted for filling it up with stuff you've taken from other sources anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
kmacgray edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

fogline says:

Yup...grim!

view photos

NDLineGeek says:

The way I figure, there are many, many other users like me who are currently whittling down their photostreams to get into compliance with the new 1000 picture threshold for free accounts.

Constantly refreshing to see how many pictures remain, bouncing in and out of Organizr, opening multiple tabs at once to review deletion candidates, deleting a number of pictures consecutively, etc... surely that must be putting a bit more strain on the server farm than normal?

view photos

~andre says:

Flickr is moving their infrastructure from Yahoo services to AWS and most likely are doing it a few services at a time. The differences between how the old and new services behave will trigger all sorts of issues and will cause a lot of headache for Flickr and us, users.We have to brace ourselves for a few months of things going up and down. It's just reality - a system this complex cannot be moved smoothly from one platform to another.

view photos

Steven Tyrer says:

Retronaut:

I sent the Flickr team an email asking the same question, basically, they are moving servers and are trying to keep disruption to a minimum, quick response and a reasonable answer.

view photos

wildhareuk says:

NDLineGeek:

You have a pro account, why would you need to cut your image count. Just curious. :)

view photos

NoVaBeth says:

Retronaut:

Yes, ever since the changeover and hike in price, Flickr has been slow and frustrating to use. We are not getting what we pay for!

view photos

Pacdog says:

As has been mentioned Flickr is moving to AWS from Yahoo servers. This is a huge Database move from Yahoo farms to AWS farms. All those links have to be changed. I would guess this move might take another year.

view photos

jbdodane says:

Same stability issues with the API, I can barely upload 10 photos in a row.

Either "502 bad gateway, nginx/1.7.6" error, or sometimes the API even returns bad bad pandas.

Have you noticed some combinations that work better? E.g. a particular time of the day with a particular region?

view photos

micael18 says:

jbdodane:

"E.g. a particular time of the day with a particular region?"

Perhaps, it's worse in weekends, where the whole world is on Flickr, and in combination with that, the site is moving to other servers?

Have you tried uploading on other days? Mondays to fridays to avoid weekends?

Denmark
Windows 7
Google Chrome

I also have sometimes slowness-problems, and Pandas, and Gateways here in Denmark!

view photos

jbdodane says:

micael18:

Perhaps indeed. And if the whole world is actually on Flickr today, it's a rather positive sign that it's worth keeping the platform running :)

These errors have been recurrent for me these past weeks, including weekdays in the evening (EU time). The errors I get are the same as the old usual ones, just way way more frequent. I end up with photos not uploaded, or uploaded but with missing dateTaken, tags, or album.

I can only hope that they are linked to the Yahoo infra, and that moving data and services to AWS will solve them for good, and for the brightest future.

view photos

micael18 says:

jbdodane:

Try uploading monday to friday, if you haven't tried on these days, but is it the same?

view photos

NDLineGeek says:

wildhareuk:

Temporary arrangement so I can see the stats (such as they are), as I have my primary photostream elsewhere (since the 2013 overhaul).

If I hadn't had several of my pictures make it into Explore (and two of them hitting 10K+ views), I would have simply deleted my stream and walked away.

view photos

Jeff Lack Wildlife&Nature says:

Its been ongoing for weeks now, nothing is working as it should....You cab put up with glitches for short periods, when you know your issues are acknowledged by Staff, which they rarely are, which causes more anger and frustration....as paying customers we are almost treated with disdain and ignored all too often....

I don't know how many so called "Heroes" have been engaged but it would be a good Management decision to have someone stay tuned to the so Called "Help Forum" and to offer some help now and then!!!

view photos

kiwirat says:

I'm going against the grain here, Flickr has been flawless for me the last year, been running smooth as silk. In fact the last 2 years has been very good........

view photos

FYEphoto says:

I'm experiencing all what described here before from days, and going worst... slowness, pandas, bad gateway, etc... all this with pro account near double expensive as before...

view photos

fogline says:

It would be nice to be able to add to groups

view photos

~andre says:

fogline:

It would be nice to be able to add to groups
Might be regional - I can add to groups. I'm in Ontario, Canada.

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

kiwirat:

I'm going against the grain here, Flickr has been flawless for me the last year, been running smooth as silk. In fact the last 2 years has been very good........

What's your secret Dave :) ?

view photos

fogline says:

~andre:

hmmm...you're probably right...it's intermittent. After writing this entry, it was fine.

view photos

~andre says:

fogline:

I saw a few Bad Gateway errors on this forum today, so it definitely is possible that something is going on with Flickr's infrastructure and it's also possible that some regions are affected more than others. Hopefully, it will get better as the weekend traffic clams down a bit.

view photos

kiwirat says:

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito:

What's your secret Dave :) ?

Stand on one foot when using Flickr, I have no clue, I use the latest FF with no add ons or any kind of virus software. MacBook Air 13" Mojave... shrugs

view photos

ernstkers says:

kiwirat:

I have no clue, I use the latest FF with no add ons or any kind of virus software. MacBook Air 13" Mojave.

Perhaps a clean machine without 3rd-party software that interacts with the already a bit unstable data stream is the clue.
I use Safari (latest, no extensions, no 3rd party anti malware) on an iMac with Mojave. In recent weeks I see some more bad pandas or 502 bad gateways, but still not many and a page refresh almost always solves it. Page loading is always fast. So to me Flickr gives no real performance issues.

view photos

~andre says:

ernstkers:

Perhaps a clean machine without 3rd-party software that interacts with the already a bit unstable data stream is the clue.
Yesterday I saw a few Bad Gateway errors and one or two Bad Panda screens. In the last couple of days we have seen messages on this forum about display sizes being messed up, about incorrect links being used in the mobile app, messed up ZIP files with images, bad logins, etc., which are all either infrastructure or coding related While a clean machine helps, it would be a mistake to chalk all or even most Flickr problems to users running bad browser plug-ins and software on their machines.

view photos

EHBusman1958 says:

Bad panda's are back yet again, that when it doesn't send you to a Yahoo engineers are a where page when you are trying to access pages on your photo stream lol

view photos

kmacgray says:

I also just saw a rogue troupe of bad pandas but I hurled some bamboo at them and they went away.

view photos

Bear Dale says:

~andre:

Flickr is moving their infrastructure from Yahoo services to AWS and most likely are doing it a few services at a time. The differences between how the old and new services behave will trigger all sorts of issues and will cause a lot of headache for Flickr and us, users.We have to brace ourselves for a few months of things going up and down.

Is this supposition on your part? Has Flickr published this detailed information themselves? If they have, could you link me to it? Thanks.

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

kiwirat:

Stand on one foot when using Flickr, I have no clue, I use the latest FF with no add ons or any kind of virus software. MacBook Air 13" Mojave... shrugs

I use Vivaldi browser (some sort of Chrome clone) on Windows 10, no add ons, Windows 10 with Windows Defender, and I get to see the "502 Bad Gateway" now and then, an odd Panda here and there plus the persistent and hugely annoying hanging page when clicking on links in the HF - on occasion comments will not load on photo pages, then I get the "retry" error.
The dreaded slowness has gone for me.

All in all I guess I can't complain compared to what others report in the way of performance.

view photos

~andre says:

Bear Dale:

If you are asking about the move to AWS in general, Flickr staff mentioned this a bunch of times in passing. Here's a couple I could find right away:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157666107391117/#reply7...

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157677164525038/#reply7...

If you are asking whether I know if they are going to rework their services to take advantage of standalone AWS services or just move computer images of their current infrastructure into AWS and run them as they were before to the extent possible, I don't know this and just guessing that moving computer images would be much more expensive and much less extensible, compared to reworking their storage, databases, etc, to use AWS services, such as switching to the S3 storage for images, may be to Node.js lambdas for views and favorites, etc., and that Flickr will rework a lot of their infrastructure to use AWS services directly.

May be they will follow their past tradition and mentioned something on their code blog. Until then it's guessing or leaks from their development.

view photos

kiwirat says:

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito:

I use Vivaldi browser (some sort of Chrome clone) on Windows 10, no add ons,

And here lies the issue, I troubleshoot Flickr issues at work, 99% of the problems are all the add ons, virus software, and all the other little 'goodies' they install, once I disable all of those the problem goes away... shrugs.
I noticed several times you mentioned Vivaldi, I down loaded last night and I'm reasonably impressed with it. Will add this to my list of testing tools.

view photos

David Brooker says:

Also been having problems last few weeks. Flickr itself sometimes wont even load on my imac .i have to reset safari then it will. stats and uploading or even opening images can lead me onto the panda etc.
What is happening to Flickr??

view photos

DaveGray says:

I'm seeing that Panda way too often. Search results do not always load. Page loads take forever, zooming images now has a delay. This has become worse in the last few weeks. First time I've felt I need to consider my options about hosting elsewhere.

view photos

Aamir Bilal says:

Too many Pandas. Just too many.

view photos

M.E. Sanseverino says:

Retronaut:
Wow - what a boondoggle -- it is never easy moving such a big and integrated service like Flickr to a different management platform - I wonder if I should drop over to Google for a few months until this settles? The web interface has been so spotty over the past few weeks I'm afraid to send people to look at my photos. Not that I'm being braggy - I use Flickr with my research group (historic mountain rephotography ) and often send research colleagues to Flickr to look at albums.

I'm pretty committed to Flickr - have always liked the service, especially annotating the images - but would love to hear from Flickr employees about how things are going with the changeover and when to expect the web pages to be "flaky" (comments not loading, images uploading slowly, "links" not working, comments not being shown, etc.) and when to expect normal service.

view photos

East Texan the original says:

On a droid or laptop,using chrome and FF respectively only a few problems..I actually can overcome some navigation problems by using by using the old edit/ details page on a droid .The "You" tab is at best iffy from most pages when navigating on a droid..

view photos

East Texan the original says:

Just got an email from YAYHOO..they have a phone line for problems now...ROFLMAO

view photos

krafty_x says:

I have a pro account and I can't see my photo stream (all just white boxes) and none of my images are viewable on my blog (placeholder icon only).

What's going on? I need to download some images of my deceased grandfather for my aunt.

view photos

skagitrenee-In and Out says:

Many areas are unworkable.
PLEASE fix the jumbling of photos.
And now many black windows instead of pictures. I can't access my contacts uploads to comment. Also can't sew pending pictures in groups I admin in.
skagitrenee-In and Out edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Ruth and Dave says:

krafty_x:

Same here. The only images I can see are ones that my browser has cached from previous visits.

view photos

Where are we now? says:

WTF?

view photos

losy says:

since days.... it is almost impossible to work in groups or even see friends pics.... hope you fix this mess soon.....
I am tired of reloading every single page....
I don't want to spend so much on a non-working-Flickr program
:-(((((((((((((((((((((

view photos

EHBusman1958 says:

Flickr very slow and so many problems over the whole site, never seen so many threads in the help forum, Since smugmug took over things have gone rapidly down hill, I know it takes time to get the transfer over to smugmugs servers plus other pending work that has to be done, BUT come on we should of started to see improvements by now, its getting beyond a joke now!

view photos

marcellociappi says:

Unfortunately Flickr is gone !!!!!
A site that aims only to make Pro subscribers and that every day is getting worse.
Tonight to make a comment I had to wait three minutes, it is a real disgust, then I got annoyed and I moved on to another.
For me it is in the hands of incapable !!!!!!!!!

view photos

krafty_x says:

My stream is back and I can see my pics on my blog again.

view photos

my.travels says:

Flickr might lose customers for the next year. I have started to reconsider my subscription for next renewal. If performance keeps continue this way, I will not renew.

view photos

kmacgray says:

FYI, official update on the transition / stability issues:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157707090281734/

view photos

ladyinpurple says:

Flickr is really awful since SmugMug took over. There's a lot of bug now. Nothing works reliably! And paying double for this mess makes me sick!

view photos

jschumacher says:

ladyinpurple:

See the status update given in the link in the comment directly above yours.

view photos

kmacgray says:

ladyinpurple:

I literally posted a link to the official response regarding site stability issues right above your comment.

It's odd that people don't read the threads they are replying in.

view photos

pauluk1234 says:

my.travels:

Yes very true is is getting worse it is a constant battle millions will jump ship if they do not address these issues properly.
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

kennethkonica says:

Indianapolis here and I'm having the same issues too and it's getting worse and taking so long. I'm currently a Pro and have been since 2007 and this is the worst I have seen it. I hope they fix the issues soon!
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

downstreamer says:

Today I can't see my feed. Somebody faved 99 + individual photos of mine and I have a feeling there are entanglements that Flickr can't resolve. This is on Chrome. When I go over to Safari and view my feed as a guest, I can see everything of mine. Or .. is it just a coincidence and is this the latest Flickr logjam? Very frustrating .. do they care?
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

gswetsky says:

Today one of the photo servers is down and has been for over two hours. Photos won't render.

Remember folks - You're paying for this service! OTOH, you're NOT paying for Facebook and you're NOT paying for YouTube either of which seldom if ever go down.

Gerry

view photos

BigCam2013 says:

gswetsky:

Remember to read through previous threads first as there is a link to why these issues maybe happening
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157707090281734/

view photos

kmacgray says:

gswetsky:

You're right.

I am paying for this service and I'm perfectly ok with the hiccups because I understand why they are happening. If they were just happening for no reason, then that would be one thing, but the reasons why have been fully explained.

By the CEO of the company no less.
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

diana_rajchel says:

I am still having trouble doing basic downloads on a regular basis. Given that I paid for the service, you would think maintaining the bare minimum of what was paid for would be worth pursuing.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Bear Dale says:

diana_rajchel:

One would think so. Its a poor service that we are receiving.
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

This Lighthouse Says says:

‘It’s all circling down the drain...had to end sometime’ (Riddick, 2004)
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

HaarFager (Pro) says:

This Lighthouse Says:

‘It’s all circling down the drain...had to end sometime’ (Riddick, 2004)

Where do you get all those great quotes?
Posted 5 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

This Lighthouse Says says:

HaarFager (Pro):

The benefit of a liberal arts education perhaps. Perhaps the only benefit, just quietly...

view photos

licornenoir says:

shaky shade:

Are you crazy or something? That is nature in action. In anycase what does it have to do with this thread?

(Pretty cool his or her account has already been deleted.)

view photos

the foreign photographer - ฝรั่งถ่ says:

I am having a lot of trouble posting to groups right now.

view photos

Pabras Pictures says:

On the positive site:

no explore sinds 16 april.

It's getting ridiculous
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )
Pabras Pictures edited this topic 4 days ago.

view photos

Images George Rex says:

Has all the signs of a software system that, through its age and several generations of programmers, has reached the stage of being almost impossible to maintain, let alone develop. Hopefully the powers that be have a separate group re-writing from scratch.
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads