Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Flickr grandfathered Pro subscriptions
Latest: 36 minutes ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 13 hours ago
[Official Thread] All new Flickr galleries
Latest: 6 days ago

Current Discussion

Fall off in total views
Latest: 12 minutes ago
Slow Upload 9-24-18
Latest: 4 hours ago
Cannot see the most fav pix
Latest: 5 hours ago
Real name privacy settings
Latest: 5 hours ago
My Flickr got deleted AFTER i commented. WHY??
Latest: 6 hours ago
Photo can't be deleted or added to group
Latest: 7 hours ago
Does making a previously uploaded private photo enter your stream at the time it is made public?
Latest: 14 hours ago
Unable to Log In to Account on PC "Ghost Account"???
Latest: 20 hours ago
Missing Email Notifications (Again)
Latest: 21 hours ago
One Gif works, the other doesn't
Continually having to refresh screen
Missing followers
Latest: 24 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Details on the new Flickr About page (formerly Profile page)

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth PRO says:

As we just announced on the Flickr Blog, we’ve started to roll out a redesigned Flickr Profile page on desktop.

With the updated Profile page, which we’re now calling the About page, you have new options for how you display your content, including an editable Showcase section where you can post up to 25 photos and edit the words in the section header.

We’re also displaying your most popular photos, which you can sort by Most Faves, Most Views, Most Comments, and Most Interesting (based on a Flickr algorithm). If you don’t want people to see your most popular work, you can set it to be visible only to you.

Additionally, you have new sections for adding bio info, including additional websites where you might share your work, such as Tumblr, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.

Finally, we’ve simplified the navigation menus and completely removed the More/Three Dot menu that appeared on the old Profile page.

Some details on the new About page

Description
Just like the old profile, you have space to describe yourself and your interests. In the Description section, you can still use the supported HTML tags that exist elsewhere on Flickr, and we should handle any 3rd-party widgets you have linked previously. With the new design, we’re hoping to strike a balance between the new look and any of the non-Flickr tools you might like to use, such as Scout and FlickrRiver.

Alex Semenov Profile Showcase

Showcase
Over the years, Flickr members have told us that they want to have more ways to display photos aside from the chronological view of Photostream. The Showcase is a first step in that direction, allowing you to select up to 25 photos to display on your About page. You can update the photos and you can change the title of the Showcase as many times as you like, whenever you like.

When you click to add photos, you will get a photo selector that lets you look through your complete photostream or through albums. It also offers search. The ability to reorder photos in your selection is not currently available, but we will be bringing it soon. For now you will need to add/remove to change the order of the photos. There is a Selected tab that shows you your current selection and gives you a good view of how the photos will lay out when you save the changes. You can remove photos from the Showcase at any point by clicking on the “X” in the upper right corner of the photo.

Bio
The bio section carries over all the data from the former Profile page, but now we’ve added additional fields for popular social media sites where you might display your work. The fields should render the link correctly if you input a URL or if you just enter the format that is expected on those sites (e.g. @twitteruser1 for your Twitter handle, etc).

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 11.24.56 AM

Stats overview
The stats bar on the About page gives you an overview of several salient stats for your account, such as total views, total tags, total groups, etc. The primary new stat here is total views for your account, which we display regardless of whether you have a Pro account or not. We had seen a long tradition on Flickr where members alter their screen name to include “Thanks for 3 million views” or similar, so the overall stats view is meant to cut down on the need to alter screen names, which will get truncated in various displays throughout the site and the app.

Though we’ve removed the filmstrip of images for your Faves and your Groups, our alpha testers have noted that it was useful to see the cumulative Faves and Groups on the Profile, so we’ve included that total here. The other links take you to your photos on the Map and to your Tags page, both of which were links on the old Profile page.

Popular photos
We now display your most popular photos on your new About page, with filters to let you order by Most Faves, Most Views, Most Comments and Most Interesting (as scored by Flickr’s Interestingness algorithm). On the old Profile page, there was a menu item so you could see your own Popular photos, but it wasn’t visible to everyone else. For those who really don’t want this section to show to everyone on your new About page, we’ve provided a setting that allows you to make it visible only to you as the owner of the photos (see below example)

Alexandra-Sophie-Profile-Links

Your private photos will not show up on the Popular section, but we do display photos of any safety level, provided those images are in your top-25. As with anywhere else on Flickr, if you have your Safe Search setting on, you won’t see Moderate or Restricted content unless the owner of the photo has not properly moderated it. If you see examples of mis-moderated content, please flag the photo from the photo page, as you would do with any other improperly labeled content.

Photos of you
Just as you had on the old Profile page, you can see the photos you’re tagged in on the new About page. If you don’t want this section to have images in it, you will need to go to the photo pages where you are tagged and remove yourself from the images, which will remove them from the About page. If you don’t want anyone to be able to tag you, there is a Setting to prevent this that you can change here: www.flickr.com/account/prefs/photospeople/?from=privacy

Testimonials
As in the old Profile page, your Testimonials appear at the bottom. Rather than having separate Settings pages for writing, approving, editing, and deleting Testimonials, this is all done in-line now.

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 10.23.46 AM

Specific changes to the Navigation menus
As we developed the new About page, we cleaned up the navigation menus and brought order to the main Header and the secondary Header. We also eliminated the tertiary “More/Three dots” menu. The new navigation is a lot cleaner, but we wanted to list out all the changes to the tertiary menu so you can reference this if you are wondering where an item went that you might have used with some frequency.

Edit
This page no longer has navigation to it. Camera Roll and Organizer both have this functionality. If this is how you’re used to editing your photos in batches, you’ll want to bookmark the page (it will still be there, just not in a menu).

To get to this page now, you will want to append ?details=1 to the end of your base Flickr URL (www.flickr.com/photos/[YourUserName]/?details=1). If you are not already on your base Flickr URL, click the You menu in the main Header or go to your Photostream, then append the string.

For example, for my account, I would add ?details=1
to www.flickr.com/photos/matthewalmonroth/ so that I would get: www.flickr.com/photos/matthewalmonroth/?details=1. This will then redirect to the old Edit page, which we will leave in place for the few folks who find this to be their preferred method for batch edits.

Map
You can see your geotagged photos on the Map by clicking the link from the stats bar on the new About page where you see “xxxx geotags”

Galleries
We want Flickr Galleries to be more visible, so we’ve moved them to the secondary Header next to Faves. Galleries are a great tool for highlighting your favorite images from other Flickr members and we hope to get more people using them.

Collections
We’ve already moved the link for Collections to the Albums list page above your list of albums. When visiting another Flickr member’s Albums list page, you can see a link to their Collections.

Archives
To access your own archives, you should go to Camera Roll (this was the default when clicking the old Archive link while looking at your own Profile before we did the redesign). When looking at another Flickr member, their Joined date will be clickable and that will take you to their old Archive page.

Tags
This is now a clickable stat on the About page that takes you to your Tags list page.

Photos of
This is on the About page, just as it was on the old Profile. If you want to remove photos of you, you will need to go to the individual photo page and remove yourself from the “People in photo” section on the right next to Tags. If you don’t want anyone to be able to tag you, there is a Setting to prevent this that you can change here: www.flickr.com/account/prefs/photospeople/?from=privacy

Moved to secondary Header, renamed to About.

Popular
Your Popular photos are now visible on your About page by default. If you don’t want everyone to see your popular photos, you can make them visible only to you.

Recent Activity
This is a duplicate item that is in the main Header under the You menu.

Stats
For Pro members, this was a duplicate of items in the secondary Header and main Header.

Organize
This is accessed through main Header under the You menu.

Sharing History
This will be moved to account settings.

Send FlickrMail
We’ve added a FlickrMail icon to the header next to the Follow/Following buttons in everyone’s header.

Block user
This is on the right of the Stats bar when looking at another Flickr member.

Big update, yo!
We understand this is a very significant update and that any change is jarring. We hope that the logic of the changes will make sense to you and that the new features will be a welcome addition to how you use Flickr and present yourself to the world.

We look forward to your feedback and questions.

Thanks,
Matthew Roth
Flickr team

(Edited to update the Archive section, given design change)
Posted at 2:47PM, 6 June 2017 PDT ( permalink )
Matthew Almon Roth (staff) edited this topic 16 months ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20
(1 to 100 of 1,948 replies in [Official Thread] Details on the new Flickr About page (formerly Profile page))
view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito PRO says:

I miss the courage to go to my profile. Somebody hold my hand.

A moment later: I go there, nothing has changed.

?

0h, I suppose this new look reaches some before others.

Matthew Almon Roth

Next: the link to the Flickr blog is dead for me.
Posted 17 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Thomas Hawk PRO says:

My review on the new profile page here: thomashawk.com/2017/06/flickrs-redesigned-profile-page.html

:)

view photos

Thomas Hawk PRO says:

MabelAmber***Pluto5339***As yet incognito....:

it is rolling out to users in waves. It will probably show up for you soon. Keep checking.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Next: the link to the Flickr blog is dead for me

Just fixed. Thanks!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric Willis PRO says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Matthew, come on, attention to detail. GET IT TOGETHER MAN.

view photos

Crisp-13 PRO says:

Thanks for this. Looks like a great way to freshen up the profile page and make it more interesting.

One small thing - I tried clicking on the pictures in your post above to get a better view and it gives you a 404 page

Chris

view photos

ColetteSimonds PRO says:

Oh....fancy!! Hmm, most popular section is not needed as it may not reflect the best pics.. So I guess I will have to hide all this..Old explore images don't count for me!

view photos

Matthew Almon Roth:

This will then redirect to the old Edit page, which we will leave in place for the few folks who find this to be their preferred method for batch edits.

THAT is *much* appreciated!

view photos

ColetteSimonds PRO says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

How do we remove the most popular section? I don't want the most popular criterion to play here as it is meaningless. Of course some old pics were explored and got faves. But I got out of the reach of Explore exactly because I didn't want an image to have a false popularity attribute. It actually drives me crazy. At some point I turned all my explored to private, but I don't want to turn those listed as "most popular" private. They are part of my portfolio, not for people to decide they are my most popular. I don't want any popularity label. My best pictures, the most elaborate are recent and not as popular because am hidden from searches. So can this be fixed???

view photos

justingreen19 says:

Haven't got it yet, but it does look good. Thanks Flickr.

view photos

mcnod PRO says:

ColetteSimonds:

How do we remove the most popular section?

Use the drop down menu upper left of the section on that page. Set it to "only me".

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero PRO says:

ColetteSimonds:

You can choose to have this section visible only to you so nobody else sees it on your About page.
Leticia Roncero (staff) edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

MabelAmber®Pluto5339 says:

Congrats, we made it to Beta.

view photos

Carol (Nona) PRO says:

Fabulous!! I love it. Great work, Flickr team!!
Carol (Nona) edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

Carol (Nona) PRO says:

ColetteSimonds:

Colette, I am so curious as to why you post on Flickr when you don't want anyone to see your photos?? Am I missing something here?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Crisp-13:

I tried clicking on the pictures in your post above to get a better view and it gives you a 404 page

Fixed! Sorry about that. I need helps with the internets, clearly

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric Willis PRO says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Matthew, come on, attention to detail. GET IT TOGETHER MAN.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Eric Willis:

LOL

view photos

ColetteSimonds PRO says:

Leticia Roncero:

Thanks. What if I select to hide my profile. Would I need to select that section only visible to me too?

view photos

ColetteSimonds PRO says:

mcnod:

OK, thanks Mcnod. I had not seen your comment because I left for several hours.

view photos

Jan.Timmons PRO says:

Very nice; very professional looking. Thank you, Flickr staff.
Can't wait to have it to fiddle with it ;) Rainy days ahead.
Jan.Timmons edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

Cédric Thual PRO says:

Not having it yet. A bit disappointed... Being a Pro member for 11 years...

view photos

ashwani2310 says:

Eric Willis:

attention to detail. GET IT TOGETHER MAN

I did try to find out if this page will be reached in the same old way as the profile page, but missed seeing any specific instructions.

view photos

MurderWithMirrors PRO says:

Is there a way to stop my email address from being visible to everyone?

view photos

ernstkers PRO says:

MurderWithMirrors:

Is there a way to stop my email address from being visible to everyone?

Nothing changed with that. Here are the settings: www.flickr.com/account/prefs/privacy/?from=privacy
I don't see your email address, so apparently you have that setting already like you want it.

view photos

abstractartangel77 PRO says:

I've not got it yet, but from the screenshots and Matthew's spiel at the top of the page, it looks pretty good.

view photos

MurderWithMirrors PRO says:

ernstkers:

Thanks, I couldn't tell how it was set, & I was worried it was visible.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Cédric Thual:

Being Pro has nothing to do with feature rollout. There's no priority.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi PRO says:

Good work, Flickr! Here's something.....

Issue to be Fixed:

Under "Photos of [Darren LoPrinzi]" where people tag you in photos, someone who tagged me (wrongfully so by the way, as I was not in the photo - I guess they are just trying to boost their view-counts] must have deleted or made their photo private, and now I have a permanent "This photo is no longer available" place-holder in that section that I cannot delete on their photo page because the photo page is a 404 error.

www.flickr.com/people/dtloprinzi/

Suggested Solution:

Please just give me an "X" in the upper right corner of mages in this section so I can delete them from my profile WITHOUT having to visit the spammer's photo page. Additionally, the "X" should prompt a dialog box that allows me to either JUST delete this from my profile....OR also untag me from the photo.

Thanks!

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi:

wrongfully so by the way, as I was not in the photo - I guess they are just trying to boost their view-counts]

I can remember tagging people not actually in the image, to boost your views was considered "abuse"- one of my then contacts was set to NIPSA after being reported (not by me btw).
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

C-Aida PRO says:

I am going to use it for a while first, to find out how I feel about it, so for now just one thing:

I have a photo on my profile and now, when you click "about" only half of the photo shows and it doesn't look good.
Wnen I click on "read more", the whole photo shows but it has become shorter and taller and therefore distorted, so it looks bad.

view photos

C-Aida:

I have a photo on my profile and now, when you click "about" only half of the photo shows and it doesn't look good.
Wnen I click on "read more", the whole photo shows but it has become shorter and taller and therefore distorted,

Yes, that is what happens if you post the Embed HTML in the space for "Tell a little about yourself" - we always could post images using HTML on our profile, so now that appears butchered.

See below, okay with 500 size

www.flickr.com/people/robertsimonout/

ED. It appears that the 500 pix size will display correctly - the distorted version above is the 640 size.

(Only those opted in to the Profile-Beta group can see this, the others will see the image displayed normally on the profile page.
MabelAmber®Pluto5339 edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Cédric Thual:

Not having it yet. A bit disappointed... Being a Pro member for 11 years...

Rollout is completely random % of people on Flickr. We're gradually increase it and hope to have everyone in the new experience this week.

view photos

Flickr Staff

ashwani2310:

I did try to find out if this page will be reached in the same old way as the profile page, but missed seeing any specific instructions.

Without visuals/actual experience live for you, it can be hard to see. When you are opted into the new experience, the first menu item under the You menu at the top will be About, which takes you to your About page. The first tab in the secondary menu on most pages will also be About.

view photos

I object to the unbalanced layout, with a huge stretch of white space to the right, in the section where you can add information.

Only the show cased images below, take up all the available width.

On the old profile everything is nicely centered.

view photos

Flickr Staff

C-Aida:

Yeah, this is going to happen for a number of people who have existing photos or embeddable widgets (like Scout Explore or FlickrRiver interesting photos) in the Description section of their old Profile page.

On the new About page, if the photo is at the top of the description and it is large, it will fade out slowly to the "Read more" link, as it does on yours. In the new design, we tried to give you the ability to add more visual content (the Showcase) separate from the text content (the Description) above it. From a design perspective, we wanted to have a more uniform look to the page with separate sections for each. From an engineering perspective, we wanted to make it more appealing to use Flickr layout rather than 3rd-party html embeds. There are so many ways those lay out, and many of them break when the developer of the widget doesn't keep it up to date. When we audited all the existing 3rd-party embeds, a lot of them were a mess of broken image links, etc.

view photos

Ger Bosma PRO says:

I Matthew Almon Roth:

I don't mind changes per se, but I used some - now lost - functionality on my own and other people's profile pages, so I'd like to be able to access the former layout too, if possible.

Is it still there? (adding /?details=1) to the old profile page surely doesn't work.

view photos

Flickr Staff

MabelAmber®Pluto5339:

Only the show cased images below, take up all the available width.

Yeah, it's a balancing act between readability and screen size and all the different ways that people access Flickr. Based on the majority of viewports accessing the site, we optimized balance for the rough equivalent of a 13" screen. If you look at the About page on a wider screen (like I'm doing now), it is left justified and there is increasing white space to the right the wider I expand my browser window. This is for better readability.

Though not a universal maxim, readability for text is usually recommended to be less wide than the current About page width (by a few hundred pixels), but we again were trying to balance it with the variety of screen sizes. If it's much wider, it's understood to be more taxing on the eyes to read and come back to the next line without losing your place. We have talked about possibly breaking it into a two-column section, but then you have issues with reading one column down and then coming up to the next, especially with the Read more break points. Not to mention all the ways that people have added images to the section.

Either way, we'll keep looking at feedback like yours and weigh it with the other complexities of presentation for a variety of use cases.

thanks!
Matthew

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ger Bosma:

I don't mind changes per se, but I used some - now lost - functionality on my own and other people's profile pages, so I'd like to be able to access the former layout too, if possible.

Which functionality Ger? We tried to account for as many use cases as possible. If I'm not wrong, the only section that we didn't make an allowance for was a navigation to that old Edit page, but I put the workaround above to access that page for folks who still want to use it.

view photos

Matthew Almon Roth:

I was thinking of keeping the description area centered, so that bit would coincide with the "old" profile layout. That way the symmetry would be restored - with the show cased photos section neatly supporting the centered description. Like a pyramid, so to speak.

view photos

C-Aida PRO says:

MabelAmber®Pluto5339:

Indeed. The 500 size was no longer distorted, but clicking the "about" still showed only half of the photo.

Matthew Almon Roth:

Thanks for the clarification. It looks like my photos need to be in the showcase only or they get slimmed down some 50 % even if they are size 500.

The showcase design is fine by me. I would prefer one bigger picture there, but it's not bad.

view photos

Ger Bosma PRO says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Mainly total number of faves, and thumbs of the most recent ones - monitoring fave collectors, you know what I mean :-D

And the listing of (50-odd) groups someone is a member of, helpful to at a glance get an idea of where someone's from, photo interests etc.

As said, I like to be able to decide when to use what.

If I never feel a need to revisit the old profile page again at some point, that's then fine too, but is it still accessible? (I won't tell anyone else LOL)

view photos

Bebopgirl1969 PRO says:

Just got it! I like it. Nice job!

view photos

John Oram PRO says:

I need help.

I was a very keen and needy user of You/Photostream/Edit - in order to view my pictures in rows with some/all of the text underneath. Has this feature gone altogether or is it possible to do it another way?

view photos

KW Nature Photography says:

Update -- never mind, I found it.

Where is the Tags page under Stats for NON-PRO users? Is it only available to PRO users now? It's a feature I really value (being able to see a list of photos with a specific tag).

My Stats page just says "Introducing all new stats for Pro" and there isn't a link to the Tags page which was available to non-Pros.

Other than that, I like the new look! Thanks.
KW Nature Photography edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

Ainm Eile PRO says:

Don't like it - too much unnecessary clutter. Prefer the old layout, everything available at a glance.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero PRO says:

John Oram:

Quoting the announcement above:

Edit:
This page no longer has navigation to it. Camera Roll and Organizer both have this functionality. If this is how you’re used to editing your photos in batches, you’ll want to bookmark the page (it will still be there, just not in a menu).

To get to this page now, you will want to append ?details=1 to the end of your base Flickr URL (www.flickr.com/photos/[YourUserName]/?details=1). If you are not already on your base Flickr URL, click the You menu in the main Header or go to your Photostream, then append the string.

For example, for my account, I would add ?details=1
to www.flickr.com/photos/matthewalmonroth/ so that I would get: www.flickr.com/photos/matthewalmonroth/?details=1. This will then redirect to the old Edit page, which we will leave in place for the few folks who find this to be their preferred method for batch edits.

view photos

John Oram PRO says:

Leticia Roncero:

Thank you for the prompt response - I have managed to find Matthew's text and bookmark the appropriate URL. Directly related to that, however, is my only comment for now. I don't want to join in any chorus of approval or disapproval until I have got used to the changes which Matthew himself admits can be 'jarring'. However the removal of the easily accessed 'Edit' button which provided a page [?details=1] in a specific layout underlines the trend to concentrate solely on the image without simultaneous access to all the information so many of us put with it. (It is not exactly correct to say that Organise and Camera Roll do the same thing because, latterly, that Edit button has been about getting to the 'old-fashioned' layout, not about batch editing.

One of the joys of Flickr has been sharing information and explanations with other users. Now the fashion seems to be staring at pictures with no context - already many newer users provide little or no information with their pictures.

Nevertheless I take it as a good sign that you have made such broad changes at the same time as Verizonisation which should certainly calm fears that 34bn pictures are going to disappear overnight.

view photos

John Oram PRO says:

"Send FlickrMail
We’ve added a FlickrMail icon to the header next to the Follow/Following buttons in everyone’s header."

I don't see any icon - I seem to have the rest of the changes.

view photos

John Oram:

I don't see any icon - I seem to have the rest of the changes

You will only see it on others' accounts, compare mine:

www.flickr.com/people/robertsimonout/

view photos

Jim Johnston (OKC) PRO says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Mathew,

Where did the profile page about the user go? Like where they are from and other information like status, date they joined flickr?

I get friend requests, and I use this to see if I want to friend them. Any help would be appreciated.

view photos

Jim Johnston (OKC) PRO says:

Jim Johnston (OKC):

Mathew, I now see that most of the information is there. looks like the one person I started looking at didn't have any information.

Jim

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ger Bosma:

Mainly total number of faves, and thumbs of the most recent ones - monitoring fave collectors, you know what I mean :-D

And the listing of (50-odd) groups someone is a member of, helpful to at a glance get an idea of where someone's from, photo interests etc.

Ah yeah, both these issues came up with alpha testing. We didn't have the total groups and total faves numbers visible in an earlier version of the page, but we added them to the stats bar near total views, geotags, etc. Given that the filmstrips are bigger/responsive in the new tech supporting this page, we felt it would be too many photos to display (in addition to a full Showcase of 25 and Popular with 25). Because Faves and Groups stats are clickable and because both are in the top nav and subnav, we felt that provided enough clickable links to see those. For now, we don't intend to make a change to add the filmstrips.

To your question about the old page, no we will not have a backdoor to access it. We will deprecate it when we get everyone to 100% on the new About page. It's too much tech debt to maintain significant old portions of the site across browsers, devices, etc.

thanks,
Matthew

view photos

Flickr Staff

John Oram:

Nevertheless I take it as a good sign that you have made such broad changes at the same time as Verizonisation which should certainly calm fears that 34bn pictures are going to disappear overnight.

This. We are all still working hard to try to improve the performance, design, and functionality of the site. I was really hoping this would show up in the launch, especially given the concern that is being voiced in other Help Forum threads about the Verizon acquisition. I'm hoping one of the ways to allay the fears of folks for their beloved Flickr is by having us show that we're working hard to improve it.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

I was looking forward to seeing the views count when I saw this thread this morning. It says 0 views though now I got the About.

view photos

Flickr Staff

John Oram:

One of the joys of Flickr has been sharing information and explanations with other users. Now the fashion seems to be staring at pictures with no context - already many newer users provide little or no information with their pictures.

Yes, this is a very fair critique. The new layouts don't show nearly as much information as the previous ones at a glance like this layout did. That said, this old layout is not something we can continue to support technically, except in rare cases like this one where so few people use it that it's not a lot of trouble leaving it there. Were anything to break from a functional perspective on that page, however, we would be unlikely to fix it, given that we've been actively deprecating the old-stack technology that this page is build on.

For us to replicate views like this one on the new Flickr technology, we will need to design it from scratch and build it from the ground up, which in this case wasn't something the usage numbers justified. This is especially true given that two other organizing tools have all the organizing capabilities this old page did. They don't show it the same way, but they have the functionality.

Still, I do understand your concerns. We talked about this a bunch in our development meetings for this page in particular.

thanks,
Matthew

view photos

Matthew Almon Roth:

It seems the bugs have not been ironed out yet.

Looking at my About page from my opted in account it says "0 tags", but look at all the tags on my tags page:

www.flickr.com/photos/mabelia/tags

Next: for views it says "525.9K views" = incorrect, my total views number higher than a million (wow she said), from my Stats page : "Total 1,239,703 views"

Speculation: can the discrepancy concerning the stats count have something to do with private (only you or Flickr f&F) not being included in the public stats count?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Scarlet Pimpernel:

It says 0 views though now I got the About.

That is odd. I've escalated to engineering.

view photos

Flickr Staff

It seems the bugs have not been ironed out yet.

Yep, I'm able to replicate both of those. Chatting with the stats engineer now.

view photos

Matthew Almon Roth:

Thanks - appreciated.

view photos

Marezia57 says:

I already have that new About!! Great! I'll take a look, thanks
I'm not sure if I want to "present myself to the world" ;)) , but it looks promising!
And yes, I'm sure you're so trilled to hear from us :0))))

view photos

Patrick Mayon PRO says:

I'm happy to be part of the beta testers. Thanks.

I managed to select 25 interesting photos. It would be nice to be able to move them to organize them more easily.

I also tried to update the "about me" section but the pen icon isn't working, not little hand when I roll over with my mouse.

PC windows 10 user, google chrome.

view photos

sps1955 PRO says:

KW Nature Photography:

Where is the Tags page under Stats for NON-PRO users? Is it only available to PRO users now? It's a feature I really value (being able to see a list of photos with a specific tag)

If you have the new "About" page, there's a small "stats" section that appears on the "About" page irrespective of whether you are PRO or not - I can see it on your "About" page. This includes the number of tags that you have used, and this number forms a link to the tags page.

Update - I've just seen that you have edited your post to begin with "Update - Never mind I found it", which probably explains why nobody else has answered your question!

view photos

Flickr Staff

flrent PRO says:

Patrick Mayon:

I also tried to update the "about me" section but the pen icon isn't working, not little hand when I roll over with my mouse.

Sorry about that, this should be fixed in about ~1h. thanks for the report!

view photos

Thomas Hawk PRO says:

My tags page times out 100% of the time. :(

www.flickr.com/photos/thomashawk/tags

view photos

Matthew Almon Roth:

Testimonials
As in the old Profile page, your Testimonials appear at the bottom. Rather than having separate Settings pages for writing, approving, editing, and deleting Testimonials, this is all done in-line now.

What about the content of this page:

www.flickr.com/testimonials_manage.gne

Will we still be able to see for whom we have written our own testimonials?
Is there any kind of "management" still possible?

EDIT: I just wrote a testimonial for my alternative account and reciprocated. It seems to be as I suspected: the new About page does not offer us a neat page where we can see at a glance for whom we wrote a testimonial. So how are we supposed to archive this now? I find this absence (unless I overlooked the location) rather worrisome.

Advice to self: better make a screenshot of that page on the double.
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

the new About page does not offer us a neat page where we can see at a glance for whom we wrote a testimonial.

Doesn't yet offer this. It's in scope for the project and is something we're working on now.

We plan to replace all the functionality of the different .gne pages before deprecating them. Stay tuned.

view photos

Suziecd/tv PRO says:

looks rubbish to me, give me the old one back

view photos

Matthew Almon Roth:

Doesn't yet offer this. It's in scope for the project and is something we're working on now.

We plan to replace all the functionality of the different .gne pages before deprecating them. Stay tuned.

Ah okay, that sounds reassuring.

view photos

outstanding stretch says:

I can't understand why " popular " has been removed and there is no possibility to display all the photos by: interesting, Views, Favorites and Comments. No stats at all, if you have not a PRO account.

view photos

Lemon~art PRO says:

I really like the new profile page. But at the moment I have a problem - I cannot change the description section at the top, neither clicking in the box nor on the 'pencil' works.

UPDATE: Closed and reopened Firefox and all working now.
Lemon~art edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

Matthew Almon Roth:

As Goldendrake2 above mentions, the new "popular' feature only displays a tiny fraction of our stream, for interestingness, views, favorites and comments. In the "old" profile "200 bits" were listed for each category, and you could/can even go beyond by editing the page number in the URL.

Soooo regrettable this feature has been reduced to a symbolic presence of a mere 25 images.
This feature is not just for proudly showing *others* how things stand with the popularity of our images, we ourselves might like to check up way back to compare.
I am conjecturing that the feature garnered too few clicks by "Flickr's Click Tracker" to stand the test ?

ETA: those pages can still be accessed through Stats, but then of course only for the PRO account holders. See this staff response:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157681711158094/page2/#...
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito edited this topic 16 months ago.

view photos

Lensjoy PRO says:

Please, show the entire "About" description by default. Don't force us to click "Read more".

I have a relatively short text about me, so clicking "Read more" doesn't even reveal any new text, just eliminates the useless semi-transparency in the bottom half of the description. Silly, inelegant and annoying.

view photos

Lensjoy PRO says:

And one more thing. When there are just a few images in the showcase, their sizes suddenly shrink dramatically.

I would really like to keep in that place just one photo of me, but not the size of a postage stamp :-(
Lensjoy edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

The Bear Den Photography says:

Interesting this comes out prior to the Verizon takeover. Anyhow, I am one of the Betas now.

Took a quick look, and it's not bad.

One small suggestion... In the What's new section where one can add user names for Facebook etc., could we have maybe two or three spots to add other Flickr photostreams or a favourite group as well?

Personally,I don't see the need for listing my occupation, hometown, or current city. And when looking at other users profiles, very rarely do I see them listed. That could be part of the actual profile text if one wanted to post it publicly. Maybe we could free up those spots for my suggestion.

My two cents input for what it's worth.

Edit: Just discovered the Flickr Idea page and posted this there as well.
The Bear Den Photography edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Lensjoy:

The "read more" link is there for those who write novels in their profile.

The Bear Den Photography:

interesting this comes out prior to the Verizon takeover.

How so?

view photos

kmacgray:

interesting this comes out prior to the Verizon takeover.

How so?

Just an observation is all...

view photos

Jan.Timmons PRO says:

Pleased to be able to fiddle with the Showcase section. Thanks!
Jan.Timmons edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

Another point... when these changes are announced, they are posted on the Flickr Blog and here and the Help Forum.

Personally, I never use the Flickr Blog and only come to the Help Forum if looking for help.

If I hadn't noticed a change on my photostream today and come here, I wouldn't have known about the changes to the Profile page. I see other users here are wondering what's happened to their profile page as well.

Any chance that Flickr could send out a FlickrMail to users making the announcement and directing us either here or the Flickr Blog?

Again, my two cents worth, for what it's worth.

view photos

kathynails6969 says:

What do you click on to find my contacts ? I could see all of them on the old profile page.

view photos

Bas1953 PRO says:

I miss my Edit page !!!!!

view photos

Alan.Rust PRO says:

May I suggest something like " and Profile Page " is added to the title of the thread ?

Anyone coming to the Help Forum because of a problem with their "Profile" may not (I wouldn't) connect the two. It may save on redirecting folks here?

view photos

❦Petra fluffy girl says:

Interesting to note the new total stats feature only shows total for public photos, at present most of my shots are hidden
with this feature you can get an idea just how many total views any set has
as long as you are unconcerned with the amount of faves

view photos

rvdbreevaart says:

I am very sorry to learn that the Popular section has been removed and replaced by a meaningless representation of only 25 pics. Now there is no possibility to display all the photos by: Interesting, Views, Favorites and Comments. As this is of a big value to me I would like to havet this section back on my profile.Or the possibility to show more than 25 pics.

view photos

Jelltex PRO says:

Two questions:

1. How do I get to Flickr Mail

2. Where is the edit button for the photostream?

Making it harder to do basic functions.

Thanks

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

I'm not sure why About rather than Profile ?

Personally i only ever want to see very basic information about the member at a very quick glance, without too much clutter getting in the way..

I would rather see all the basic information at the top of the page. And the clutter if it must be there, at the bottom more like this..

Untitledsp#
Untitledspo

view photos

The BOF says:

All I wanted was a working Flickr Editor, to replace the old Aviary.

What do I get ? An entire Flickr makeover that I don't understand, pandering to stuff I either never use, or don't want.
Why does Flickr seem to have a down on editing of any kind ?
And who says that what's been done here is 'logical' ?

GIVE ME BACK MY DIRECT ACTING 'EDIT BUTTON' !

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

I'm having trouble finding the Guest Pass list so that I can counsel Guest Passes ?

Also I can not find the List of Tags so that I can edit Tags ?

Edit..... I found the Tags List. It wasn't obvious to me where I found it

The guest pass list though I still can not find. I had to Google the list to find it, but Google didn't let me know where to find it on flickr though ..
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 17 months ago.

view photos

Cédric Thual PRO says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Thanks for your reply. No change on my profile page for the moment. I keep waiting !

view photos

SomePhotosTakenByMe PRO says:

Great that you will offer a possiblity to rearrange the showcase photos soon. That's the only thing that does not fit my demands.

All other changes are very nice. I like it a lot that way.

Thumbs up!

view photos

Cédric Thual PRO says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

The Guest pass : on the search bar at the top of the screen, type guest, you should be able to select "Guest Pass History".
Or go that way : www.flickr.com/invite/history/guests/
I agree that it's hard to find when you need it.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Cédric Thual:

There was a link for it , but that has now gone. Is flickr aware that we can not find the Guest Pass list link now ?

view photos

Bogger3. says:

I dont like at all, please put it back to what it was, I just want basic information to be able read easy without all this clutter and half a photo and faded out photos when I go on to About ?
Posted 16 months ago. ( permalink )
Bogger3. edited this topic 16 months ago.

view photos

davidezartz PRO says:

Miss my Edit Page !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

view photos

Suziecd/tv PRO says:

Thanks for giving my email address to everyone.....not., this is an invasion of privacy, mine is for friends only or was until you interfered. Changes are ok but why dont you spend your time putting right all the other mess beforehand.
Spend your time giving us a better pic uploader, takes me over an hour to put one piucture in 300 plus groups, the upload page on photos is always crashing and no one takes any notice
It grates on me, your giving each other pats all round for foisting stuff on people they dont want

view photos

Alan.Rust PRO says:

Suziecd/tv:

I have checked and cannot see your email address, your privacy seems to be intact.

view photos

ernstkers PRO says:

Suziecd/tv:

Thanks for giving my email address to everyone.

That's not true. Your email address is not visible for others. The about page respects these settings, just as the old profile page: www.flickr.com/account/prefs/privacy/?from=privacy

view photos

asheshr PRO says:

I cant see my edit page. How do i delete a image when i cant see my edit page?

adding ?details=1 not working. Its saying "Oops! Looks like you followed a bad link"

view photos

asheshr PRO says:

Why is my profile picture showing on my Photostream? Its not supposed to be shown on my photostream.

view photos

srkirad PRO says:

I agree with some of Flickr users here - option "popular" used to show 200 most viewed photos, 200 most liked photos, etc.. and now not only there is just 25 of them, but also we cannot see anymore how many views each photo has! If you want to know at least some basic "statistics" of your account, you must have PRO account, as this statistics is not anymore available in new about section.

It would be nice to see this "top list" like it was before - many small thumbnails listed one below other, as it is more pleasing to the eye than this new one with big thumbnails... and also it would be nice to see number of views and favs for each photo, BOTH in "about" section AND in Camera Roll section. Now, that most of us have big monitors, I think it is not such a big problem to see both of these numbers in corner of a photo?

Please consider bringing back number of views for more than 25 photos, and being in some more readable format...

I am really annoyed with this change as I like to see my photo statistics, in order to improve my photo skills - numver of views shows me what people in groups really like of my photos, and now it is very hard to check this data :(

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20
(1 to 100 of 1,948 replies in [Official Thread] Details on the new Flickr About page (formerly Profile page))
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads