Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 9 minutes ago
[Official Thread] (Updated 2019.03.20) Temporary Video Downtime
Latest: 59 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Update on Creative Commons licenses and “In Memoriam” accounts
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Official Thread] Timeline extension for free Flickr accounts over 1,000 photos + videos
Latest: 11 hours ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 35 hours ago
[Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans
Latest: 36 hours ago
[Official Thread] Updates on speed & stability so far
Latest: 2 days ago

Current Discussion

How many photos do I really have here?
Latest: 19 minutes ago
y
Latest: 2 hours ago
Rescuing pictures
Latest: 3 hours ago
[ FLICKR STAFF PLEASE HELP! ] A Photo sharing web site have my works for free download which I never gave permission
Latest: 5 hours ago
Flickr Uploader
Latest: 5 hours ago
Buddy Icon How to find or create
Latest: 7 hours ago
How long does requested Staff review take?
Latest: 9 hours ago
Password
Latest: 9 hours ago
Flickr discussion groups not working
Latest: 10 hours ago
uploaded a video but it is appearing as just a picture
Latest: 11 hours ago
Very slow!?
Latest: 12 hours ago
Problem with geolocation in a group
Latest: 12 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Timeline extension for free Flickr accounts over 1,000 photos + videos

Flickr Staff

adstads says:

Hi all,

We’ve heard from many of you with free Flickr accounts that you’d like more time to decide where to keep your photos and videos exceeding 1,000. We care about your photos, so we’re extending the timeline to March 12, 2019. That gives you another month to make a decision on a home for your photos. Upgrading to Flickr Pro gives you unlimited storage and benefits like ad-free browsing, advanced photo stats, and more. Or if you choose, you can download all of your photos and videos to a computer.

On March 12, 2019, photos and videos over the 1,000 limit on free accounts will be at risk for deletion. Photos and videos will be deleted from oldest to newest by upload date. Items that had Creative Commons or other free-license types prior to November 1, 2018, will not be deleted, as we explained here.

I love Flickr and this community and I hope you'll all choose to remain a part of it. But the choice is yours and you now have an extra month to decide.

-----------------------------------

To check how many photos and videos you have, visit the Help Center: (help.flickr.com/en_us/how-to-find-your-photo-count-H12jm1qpX).

If you need help with your account, please contact support here: help.flickr.com/.

If you have a suggestion or wishlist item for Flickr, please share it here: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157666189625037/.

Charitable non-profit organizations are eligible for free Pro accounts. If you qualify, please apply here: help.flickr.com/en_us/discounts-for-non-profit-organizati....
Posted at 3:55PM, 6 February 2019 PDT ( permalink )

(201 to 300 of 375 replies in [Official Thread] Timeline extension for free Flickr accounts over 1,000 photos + videos)
view photos

Jakelong1991 says:

adstads:

Will the extension of the deadline be extended once again.? Cause of the video down time can't even download or play any of video's that are in my stream.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

ddey65 says:

Well, the good news for me, is that I got it down to the 1,000 pic limit just in time. Actually, there was one that I almost had the chance to save, but they locked my gallery and screwed up my effort to remove the picture in tact, so I had to delete the thing without saving it. Thankfully, that picture is available elsewhere, but nobody better delete what I've already got!

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

Spam by Majid.11 reported

view photos

Jakelong1991 says:

kmacgray:

Seems odd that Internet Explorer used to be a popular browser. And also flickr said i needed to upgrade to IE 11 back when it come out while i was on IE 9. But now chrome or firefox don't used Edge browser. Cause i don't seem to get on with it much. Even though there's no remove or uninstall option on it.

view photos

TornadoLightning-MunjenaPijavica says:

I'm ready for the biggest photocide in the history of the new era. Go, SmagMag, go!

M.
TornadoLightning-MunjenaPijavica edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

JoséDay says:

It is not expensive to become a PRO
and all problems will be solved. Mladen "999 Photos":

It is about photos! Not people! Let's not exaggerate!

view photos

NDLineGeek says:

JoséDay:

Ah, ignore Mladen. Rather than proactively work out a solution for his stream (finding a new home for his pictures, considering a Pro subscription, or even just sitting down to trim down his photos to the limit), he chose to get his knickers in a wad.

(As for me, I still have 400+ photos to clear out, but I opted to pay for a few months' Pro subscription to buy the needed time to finish pruning my stream down from the ~4800 pics I began with!)

view photos

Crazydaaani says:

This is BS! I can't delete any photo, I can't download anything, I can't even subscribe to pro!!! This reminds me of why I stopped using Flickr. It was so good and then was not. How am I supposed to save my photos in this condition??? I was Pro for many many years, and now this.

I am getting a lot of errors and there is absolutely NOTHING I can do.
Posted 1 week ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Pacdog says:

Crazydaaani:

You need to focus. A member sense 2007 you need to stop the hate. You would not be here that long if you were active here. Your one of the issues here with folks coming back from long breaks and not even notice what has been going on. Figure it out and read up.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Brian ai Taiwan:

Dogboy...

that's Pacdog. Show some respect.

view photos

Crazydaaani:

I am getting a lot of errors and there is absolutely NOTHING I can do.

Can you give some details?

What Operating System are you using and which browser? There must be some clues, please give them to us, so we can offer you suggestions.

view photos

micael18 says:

adstads:

What about extending the deadline once more? Or if it HAS been done, then please give some information about it.
Posted 10 days ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Captain Bark says:

"Protect these photos.
Right now 2,457 of your photos are at risk of deletion.
Please take a moment to protect the photos in your account."

Hah! Pay for Pad Panda.

view photos

helena.peavyhouse says:

From the link in the OP:
"Please note: Requesting your Flickr account data can take some time. Depending on how much content you have in your account, this process can take anywhere from several hours, upwards to a week, as the system consolidates all of the information."

I repeat **UPWARDS TO A WEEK**!

The Flickr servers have been pretty much unusable for the past few days.

Please extend this deadline until **AFTER** you get your performance problems resolved!

view photos

madeline.peavyhouse says:

From the link in the OP:
"Please note: Requesting your Flickr account data can take some time. Depending on how much content you have in your account, this process can take anywhere from several hours, upwards to a week, as the system consolidates all of the information."

I repeat **UPWARDS TO A WEEK**!

The Flickr servers have been pretty much unusable for the past few days.

Please extend this deadline until **AFTER** you get your performance problems resolved!

view photos

cherryannette  says:

I have 1676 photos on my flickr site but you say you will delete 832. This will only leave me 844.... Why not leave me the 1000 you said would be the limit??????

Has the 1000 limit been reduced AGAIN???

view photos

mag3737 says:

cherryannette :

The 1000 limit has not changed. Is it possible that you have photos that are marked private/friends/family so you did not notice them in the count before? At the top of your photostream page (below the banner, above the photos) there's a little menu that says "Public view" "Family view" etc. Be sure you have selected "View all".

view photos

SmugMug continue photocide:

I just choose "2" when SmugMug blackmail me:

"
1. go PRO
2. No. mark 2.904 for deletion
Choose an option above to continue to your photos.
"

M.

view photos

cherryannette  says:

mag3737:

Thank you. I don't seem to have this. ALL my photos have been "whited" out" and instead all I have is a notice telling me I am at risk of having 832 of my photos deleted. At the top it says I have 1676 uploads.

view photos

kmacgray says:

TornadoLightning-MunjenaPijavica:

Please stop spamming various threads with this.

view photos

kmacgray:

Its not spam, its valuable information for NON PRO accounts.

We are not PRO, but we are not FREE!

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Its not spam, its valuable information for NON PRO accounts.

I agree that it's not spam.
It's trolling.

It's also of absolutely no value to anyone, paying or not.

And that is simply ridiculous.

view photos

adstads:

"...On March 12, 2019, photos and videos over the 1,000 limit on free accounts will be at risk for deletion. Photos and videos will be deleted from oldest to newest by upload date...."

Today is March 13, 2019, photos and videos over the 1,000 limit on free accounts are not deleted. What are you waiting for? Is this another unfulfilled promise?

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Today is March 13, 2019, photos and videos over the 1,000 limit on free accounts are not deleted. What are you waiting for? Is this another unfulfilled promise?

If photos were now being deleted you would be first in the queue to damn Flickr for doing so.
Yet here you are criticising them for not doing so.

You're clearly here just to troll, complain and stir up trouble.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Your trolling has been reported.

view photos

jschumacher says:

The key qualifier you seem to have missed is “at risk for deletion“. Flickr never said all photos over 1000 on free accounts would be immediately deleted following the deadline. Quite the opposite, as they have said that they would gradually start deleting photos beginning with accounts that have been dormant the longest.
Posted 9 days ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Isn't it the "SmagMag" guy?

view photos

jschumacher:

Where they have said:

"... that they would gradually start deleting photos beginning with accounts that have been dormant the longest."

Link?

view photos

kmacgray says:

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito:

Yep.

view photos

Link?

Free members with more than 1,000 photos and/or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over that limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, Free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos and/or videos will have content actively deleted—starting from oldest to newest date uploaded—to meet the new limit.

Misread.

Yet I too, clearly recall a post where staff mentioned the thing about starting with longest standing dormant accounts.
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 9 days ago.

view photos

As I said: Nothing about "... that they would gradually start deleting photos beginning with accounts that have been dormant the longest."

view photos

As I said: Nothing about "... that they would gradually start deleting photos beginning with accounts that have been dormant the longest."

Can't retrieve that staff post, but I found this:

mashable.com/article/flickr-photo-purge/?europe=true#_n.v...

Quote:

UPDATE: Feb. 5, 2019, 11:54 a.m. EST A Flickr representative gave Mashable more details on how and when photos may be deleted. The first photos to go will come from inactive accounts.

"While current free users with over 1,000 photos and videos will become eligible for deletion starting tomorrow, users may not see any of their content deleted immediately. The first accounts to be impacted will be abandoned accounts that bear large volumes of private photos".

edited to underline
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 9 days ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

SmagMag

That name gets under my skin for some reason.

view photos

The Searcher says:

TornadoLightning-MunjenaPijavica: It's a lot like the warning that IE11 is an unsupported browser and people need to switch to a newer one. People saw the warning popup for months, but ignored it, and then one day they couldn't use IE11 anymore.

You have been warned. Starting today free accounts with more than 1000 photos are "at risk of deletion" (the photos exceeding 1000). Maybe that risk will last a week. Maybe it will last three months. But the bell has been rung.

view photos

jschumacher says:

I'm pretty sure that's the quote I was remembering. Thanks for finding it!

view photos

mag3737:

That name gets under my skin for some reason.

Makes me break out in hives...

view photos

jschumacher:

I'm pretty sure that's the quote I was remembering. Thanks for finding it!

I still think I spotted it on here somewhere (perhaps even in a quoted link from Twitter) but hey, we've got it ;-)

view photos

Jakelong1991 says:

That's what i'm wounding about. I've been exploring photostreams on flickr and come a cross on some streams that have over 1.000s photos still on some free users. And it's way passed the deletion date...

view photos

kmacgray says:

Jakelong1991:

Again, March 12 is when they START the deletion process. That date doesn't mean that all of a sudden that all those photos would disappear at once. That would completely grind the site to a halt. This is a gradual process.

And it's way passed the deletion date

It's one day past the deletion date.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Jakelong1991: Maybe re-read the staff post at top of thread. Where do you see that they said deletions would happen immediately on the deadline? Maybe quote it if you find it.

view photos

Captain Bark says:

It would be nice to know the statistic how many pictures will be lost altogether.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Captain Bark:

It would be nice to know the statistic how many pictures will be lost altogether.

Sure. Interesting, maybe, but of no actual importance or value to anyone except those working at Flickr who are making the decisions and dealing with the budgets and costs of this stuff.
Don't hold your breath.

view photos

FinnCamera says:

Jakelong1991:

They begin deletion on March 12, not delete these pictures once. It probably would be too difficult. They are eleting but we hardly yet notice much in some weeks.

view photos

Erased post, inaccurate link.
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 3 days ago.

view photos

Jakelong1991 says:

Still No sign of the deletion progress. And still seeing flickr users still have over the amount of photos. Has flickr decided to just keep the photos up instead of deleting them.? till people decide to ether to go pro or download.?
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Jakelong1991:

Still No sign of the deletion progress. And still seeing flickr users still have over the amount of photos. Has flickr decided to just keep the photos up instead of deleting them.? till people decide to ether to go pro or download.?

How would you know? Have you read the bit about Flickr beginning the deletion process at long time abandoned accounts storing loads of private photos?

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157676293604137/page3/#...

view photos

jschumacher says:

Jakelong1991:

As was explained to you above the deletion process will be gradual and begin with long-abandoned accounts. Why are you thinking all free accounts with over a thousand photos will see immediate deletions? This process will take weeks, if not months.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Jakelong1991:

Flickr is deleting private photos first. How would you know if photos you can't see aren't being deleted?

view photos

FinnCamera says:

Jakelong1991:

Flickr is not going delete all at once. It goes account by account starting from thes<e which users haven't been active several years. This is going last many weeks, perhaps few months. Flickr hasn't anywhere said that it is going delete all photos over 1000 at once. And take in notice that staff are not on place whole time so I assume that process is stopped at least on nights.

view photos

Walwyn says:

kmacgray:

Flickr is deleting private photos first.

Ah so users' most precious photos those of their kids first. Sort of makes sense.

FinnCamera:
And take in notice that staff are not on place whole time so I assume that process is stopped at least on nights.

I would assume that it would be an SQL command which could run without any input or supervision. You certainly wouldn't want your $50 per year being spent on some doing this manually.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Walwyn:

Ah so users' most precious photos those of their kids first

Erm, no.

Private photos from abandoned accounts are being deleted first. If someone has posted photos of their kids and then abandoned their account, well, that's their problem and they obviously don't care about their images.

view photos

FinnCamera says:

And it would be very foolish if you store photos about your children, pets and other family members only to one place speciality when yiou can't be guaranteed that these would be there several decades.

view photos

kmacgray says:

FinnCamera:

Unfortunately, we have seen many reports here of people doing exactly that over the years. I don't get it.

view photos

mag3737 says:

kmacgray:

Walwyn:

There is grey area here. We don't really know Flickr's criteria for "abandoned". It's really not possible to know which of you is "right", and the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Frankly, I'm inclined to believe that all of this is primarily for targeting scrapers and massive hoarders, and that they will be doing so with human decision-making, in which case people with long-unused accounts of pictures of their kids are likely (but still not guaranteed) to be untouched for a longer time.

view photos

mag3737:

Frankly, I'm inclined to believe that all of this is primarily for targeting scrapers and massive hoarders,

I have this same idea, folks who let the Flickr Auto Uploadr suck up literally everything on their hard drive, then I am thinking of massive numbers of photos, then turn around and leave it all to sit there, basically using Flickr as a back up and nothing else.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Whenever, or what order flickr delete accounts down to 1000 it doesn't really matter. They said that free accounts will be deleted down to 1000. Im sure flickr has to many other things on though at the moment and have no time to think about deletions for a while. A lot members have done it for them already without flickr having to do anything. A lot of pro members that had other free accounts just to store privately likely most of those have likely been deleted already. I know some might have payed now for more than one account.
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 8 days ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

A lot members have done it for them already without flickr having to do anything.

The sad thing is, if my optimistic hope is correct, all of these deletions were done by people who had the LEAST to worry about. By definition if they are here and involved-enough to be deleting their photos, they would have been last farther down on the "auto"-deletion list.

view photos

kmacgray says:

I have this same idea, folks who let the Flickr Auto Uploadr suck up literally everything on their hard drive, then I am thinking of massive numbers of photos, then turn around and leave it all to sit there, basically using Flickr as a back up and nothing else.

This. ^^^^ I am OK with all this stuff going first. It's not adding any value.

view photos

kmacgray:

Then I am also totally okay with the Flickr Auto Uploadr itself being ditched together with the stuff it hoovered up.

view photos

mag3737 says:

It would be hard to distinguish hooverers from idle accounts in all cases. I really think SIZE is going to carry a heavy weight.

view photos

simonov says:

Flickr is going to delete photos.

OUTRAGE!

Flickr has not yet deleted any photos.

OUTRAGE!

The sun will rise in the morning.

OUTRAGE!

view photos

gary.hadden says:

Just to say, I'm really sad at your decision to reduce the free account to just 1000 images - I have just over 6000 images that I uploaded in good faith (and a fraction of the terrabyte that was available). Many of my images link to a free to the world blog (country walks in the UK) which drives viewers not just to my flickr photostream but to flickr in general. I can't afford the price you've put on a pro account. At first I was angry at your decision, now I'm just dismayed and very sad. The minimal extension into March is really neither here nor there really. I would have thought a more community friendly approach would have been to freeze the free account at the number of uploads already stored and say no more uploads until upgraded to pro. Still I've resigned mysellf to feeling "screwed over". I will now be considering what to do with the final 1000 images you are allowing me to keep on flickr. Yours disappointedly.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Then I am also totally okay with the Flickr Auto Uploadr itself being ditched together with the stuff it hoovered up.

I completely agree.

view photos

gary.hadden:

I would have thought a more community friendly approach would have been to freeze the free account at the number of uploads already stored and say no more uploads until upgraded to pro.

And how many pictures would that "number" amount to ?
A fixed or a random number?

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

kmacgray:

I completely agree

Then that would go against flickr being advertised as an unlimited storage site for those that want to pay for that as advertised. Flickr from my observations is now a place to upload 1000s of sports events. Weddings of 1000s of photos, and business shows and events where 1000s of photos are taken then uploaded here. Catwalks is another.
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 8 days ago.

view photos

Nikki Gloom says:

adstads:

i cant change the privacy viewing settings on videos i uploaded and cant play... any ideas? says Error.

view photos

Walwyn says:

kmacgray:

Private photos from abandoned accounts are being deleted first. If someone has posted photos of their kids and then abandoned their account, well, that's their problem and they obviously don't care about their images.

Yet we know from the closure of Y! Photos, that people do indeed leave photos in accounts and not return to them for years. How many years after Y! Photos shut were people still coming here to find out what happened? I recall it was at least 4 years. Oh and they did have backups, but their hard drive died, computer got stolen, had a fire.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel:

Then that would go against flickr being advertised as an unlimited storage site for those that want to pay for that as advertised.

Where is that advertised?
I do notice that the word "store" has gone from this page, I have a clear memory of the option to 'store' content being used on there:

www.flickr.com/about

And where is the bit where Flickr said "upload every picture you have ever taken" ?

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Nikki Gloom:

i cant change the privacy viewing settings on videos i uploaded and cant play... any ideas? says Error.

Wrong thread.
Read the OP from staff, and updates, in this one:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157707238843224/

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Annual Plan
Get unlimited storage,

It has been like this since the changes and has been talked about in other threads.

view photos

micael18 says:

Walwyn:

It's allways a good idea to have more than just ONE external harddisk and/or USB-sticks, and perhaps also more than one online-drive

And if free online-drives, or other free online-services, remember to log on/off now and then, to keep them alive.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Walwyn:

How many years after Y! Photos shut were people still coming here to find out what happened? I recall it was at least 4 years.

I think I saw the last one here about 2 years ago. So say at least 9 years after closure of Y! Photos.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

micael18:

I have two 1TB external drives. I'm about to buy another 2TB one. They are very cheap to buy.

view photos

Ah found what I was looking for, this blog post:

blog.flickr.net/en/2015/05/07/flickr-camera-roll/

Heading, quote:

It’s finally easy to upload, access, organize, edit, and share any photo you’ve ever taken
MAY 7, 2015

And, quote:

The Flickr Uploadr for Mac and Windows lets you effortlessly upload hundreds of thousands of images from wherever you’re storing them on your computer, including your hard drive, iPhoto, and any external drives. That means you can add about half a million or more photos (depending on their size).

So that might account for the 3 percent of free accounts storing massive numbers of photos during that one year before it became a PRO only feature.

[my emphasis]

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

"Unlimited Storage". The only limit is your imagination. All Pros may now upload as many photos as you can take, always at full resolution."

help.flickr.com/en_us/reasons-to-upgrade-to-flickr-pro-Sy...

view photos

I thought you meant some external advertisement.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

In or out it makes no difference if its by flickr.

view photos

Walwyn says:

micael18:

It's allways a good idea to have more than just ONE external harddisk and/or USB-sticks, and perhaps also more than one online-drive

Indeed, but the fact is that very few people actually do that, even computer programmers, and tech specialists, don't do that with their personal stuff. I often hear colleagues saying oh I must get around to doing backups.

Then as discussed earlier many people these days don't have the ability to connect up external HDs to the tablets/phones. In may places in the world a phone is the only digital device people have. They near as hell won't be able to afford $50 a year, but hey what do we care about that?

view photos

kmacgray says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

Then that would go against flickr being advertised as an unlimited storage site

Not at all.

You'd still have "unlimited" storage, you just wouldn't be able to fill it up by sucking everything off your hard drive or phone using an app.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel:

Then that would go against flickr being advertised as an unlimited storage site for those that want to pay for that as advertised

No. You could still upload as many as you want, however, the thoughtlessness of automated uploading just because you can, will be curbed - since obviously the Web based uploadr cannot handle ginormous numbers in one go.

You would be required to do some actual sorting prior to uploading, like trash the bungled shots and keep the good ones. Actually 'caring' for your photos as individual works, instead of thinking of them as simply 'batches" to dump into the cloud

view photos

Captain Bark says:

gary.hadden:
Just to say, I'm really sad at your decision to reduce the free account to just 1000 images - I have just over 6000 images that I uploaded in good faith (and a fraction of the terrabyte that was available). Many of my images link to a free to the world blog (country walks in the UK) which drives viewers not just to my flickr photostream but to flickr in general. I can't afford the price you've put on a pro account. At first I was angry at your decision, now I'm just dismayed and very sad. The minimal extension into March is really neither here nor there really. I would have thought a more community friendly approach would have been to freeze the free account at the number of uploads already stored and say no more uploads until upgraded to pro. Still I've resigned mysellf to feeling "screwed over". I will now be considering what to do with the final 1000 images you are allowing me to keep on flickr. Yours disappointedly.

Exactly same feeling

view photos

GothPhil says:

And where is the bit where Flickr said "upload every picture you have ever taken" ?

I'm sorry to say, words to that effect are still on the 'ugrade to Pro' page...

Unlimited uploads and worry-free photo backup

Upload as many photos as you can take, always at true full resolution. With Auto-Uploadr, quickly and easily backup your entire photo collection from your phone, computer, hard drives, iPhoto, Dropbox, and more.

I'm hoping this is just a throwback to the bad old days, and when they've fixed everything else, they'll get ride of auto-uploading, and change this text.

(Edit: looks like a few others beat me to it. Sorry!)
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink )
GothPhil edited this topic 7 days ago.

view photos

GothPhil:

I'm sorry to say, words to that effect are still on the 'ugrade to Pro' page

Yeah, meanwhile It passed through my mind that text would be there, but was too lazy to look.

Shouldn't be allowed!

GothPhil:
(Edit: looks like a few others beat me to it. Sorry!)

No, Scarlet Pimpelnel linked to the "inside" help article.

You got a scoop, lol

view photos

GothPhil says:

kmacgray:

You'd still have "unlimited" storage, you just wouldn't be able to fill it up by sucking everything off your hard drive or phone using an app.

Not to mention anecdotal evidence here in the forum that people have even forgotten they activated synch/upload at some point past, resulting in being 'surprised' by how many photos they've now got online, and are under threat of deletion.

Clogging the servers up with photos that people are not even pro-actively uploading is plain barking. If SM don't get rid of the cursed function, they should at least force it to deactivate at regular intervals, so that the user has to choose to re-activate it again...

view photos

GothPhil:

If SM don't get rid of the cursed function, they should at least force it to deactivate at regular intervals, so that the user has to choose to re-activate it again...

No compromises! Total remove! Booommm!

view photos

GothPhil says:

No compromises! Total remove! Booommm!

I'll sign your petition... :-)

view photos

GothPhil:

I'll sign your petition... :-)

"Petition" ?

Man, this is an order!

view photos

Nomadic Mark says:

GothPhil:

Clogging up servers on a service that advertises itself a Unlimited? Hahaha!

Just because you don't want to upload thousands of photos doesn't mean that other's don't have this need.

Why exactly is that a cursed feature? Why is that barking?

On Flickrs homepage:

"Unlimited uploads and worry-free photo backup
Upload as many photos as you can take, always at true full resolution."

So just because you don't like this function, why should it be disabled?

view photos

kmacgray says:

Nomadic Mark:

For the reasons mentioned above:

1. It fills Flickr's servers with junk, sucking every image off someone's hard drive or phone.

2. It causes confusion for many users as they don't realize that #1 is happening or has happened.

3. Manually uploading images encourages curation, potentially raising the "quality" of images on Flickr.

Regarding the language on the home page, IMO, Flickr should not still be promoting themselves as a storage solution, because they're not. That's what got us into the situation we are in now, where content that was sucked up automatically now has to be deleted in order to save money.

view photos

Nomadic Mark:

So just because you don't like this function, why should it be disabled?

I am one of those advocating removal of the auto upload function, precisely for the reasons mentioned in comments above.

And: I too believe that "manual curation" is a requirement for a photo site as opposed to a "storage" cloud. We are talking about "photography" here and not about (mindless) dumping, see my earlier comment, quoting myself:

"You would be required to do some actual sorting prior to uploading, like trash the bungled shots and keep the good ones. Actually 'caring' for your photos as individual works, instead of thinking of them as simply 'batches" to dump into the cloud "

Less is more.

view photos

Nomadic Mark says:

I am one of those advocating the continued development of the auto uploaded function. What qualifies as mindless dumping, vs life logging. Who are you to judge how much people should upload to a photo sharing site? I follow a few users with 200k+ images and don't consider these photo dumping.

The point is Flickr have positioned and marketed their service as unlimited. This may not be to your taste, and you may not like it, but that doesn't stop other people from using the service to upload ALL of their photos.

Flickr were quite happy to take my hard earned cash based on this.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Nomadic Mark:

The point is Flickr have positioned and marketed their service as unlimited. This may not be to your taste, and you may not like it, but that doesn't stop other people from using the service to upload ALL of their photos.

Then don't be surprised if we see another round of deletions in the future.

Storage ain't free.

The decision to allow members to upload all of their stuff was one of the worst decisions that Yahoo ever made. It was purely a marketing gimmick as part of their hail mary move to say "See? we did something with Flickr, we aren't ignoring it." Then they went on to completely ignore it.

That changes made as part of the 2013 site overhaul took a vibrant photo sharing community and steered it into the direction of a photo dumping graveyard. Even staff have admitted this was a bad decision.

"In 2013, Yahoo lost sight of what makes Flickr truly special and responded to a changing landscape in online photo sharing by giving every Flickr user a staggering terabyte of free storage. This, and numerous related changes to the Flickr product during that time, had strongly negative consequences. First, and most crucially, the free terabyte largely attracted members who were drawn by the free storage, not by engagement with other lovers of photography. This caused a significant tonal shift in our platform, away from the community interaction and exploration of shared interests that makes Flickr the best shared home for photographers in the world. We know those of you who value a vibrant community didn’t like this shift, and with this change we’re re-committing Flickr to focus on fostering this interaction."

blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accoun...

view photos

Nomadic Mark says:

kmacgray:

Storage ain't free, and funnily enough I'm paying Flickr for storage.

I also pay my web host £2.99 a month for unlimited storage. I notice GoPro also now offer unlimited storage for $4.99 a month. I tired piwigo.com for a while - again unlimited storage for a fee.

I get that I have to pay for ad-free storage, that's why I paid.

Would be pretty disappointing if Flickr charge for storage and then have further rounds of deletions.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Nomadic Mark:

Would be pretty disappointing if Flickr charge for storage and then have further rounds of deletions

Yes, it would.

But as long as they keep the auto-uploader around, there's a chance that the work they are doing now in regards to freeing up space might be undone later.

view photos

The point is Flickr have positioned and marketed their service as unlimited

I am not saying they should change that, but then WITHOUT the auto uploadr.

Introducing the auto uploadr was the first step to reduce Flickr to a dumping ground.

view photos

kmacgray says:

To be clear, I think Flickr is being a bit wishy-washy on this whole storage issue.

In the statement I quoted above, they admit that 2013's change in focus toward more, more, MORE storage has negatively impacted the site. Yet, they continue to produce the tools that allow members to achieve that goal.
kmacgray edited this topic 7 days ago.

view photos

mcnod says:

One problem with the auto-uploader is that it defaults to all photos on a system. Many people accept defaults without investigating the ramifications.

view photos

kmacgray says:

mcnod:

This. ^^^

Also, in the case of the auto-uploader in the Flickr app, its default setting is to be ON. If you don't want it to be on, you have to manually turn it off, and many people ignore the screen (for whatever reason) that is presented to them which states this when they run the app for the first time.

Then they post here asking why all their phone's photos are on Flickr.

view photos

simonov says:

mcnod:

One problem with the auto-uploader is that it defaults to all photos on a system. Many people accept defaults without investigating the ramifications.

Yeah, both kmacgray and Nomadic Mark make good points, and a decent compromise could be achieved simply by changing the default behavior.

view photos

kmacgray says:

simonov:

An excellent point. If the auto-upload functionality cannot or will not be ditched, at least make it opt-in.

(201 to 300 of 375 replies in [Official Thread] Timeline extension for free Flickr accounts over 1,000 photos + videos)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads