Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 57 minutes ago
Having trouble with Flickr? Read this first
Latest: 26 hours ago
[Official Thread] Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 5 days ago

Current Discussion

How to change my primary email address? Currently, I'm unable to access the email to use the link to change it. Kindly, let me know the possible other way to change the primary email address.
Latest: 12 minutes ago
[STAFF FIXING BUG AGAIN]Can't see images on flickr... only a white square with icon in top left corner...
Latest: 30 minutes ago
[staff response] Can't Open Photos in Photostream
Latest: 76 minutes ago
photos wont load?
Latest: 77 minutes ago
Show photos not in groups
Latest: 3 hours ago
Bug Safari unable to make a secure connection
Latest: 4 hours ago
How can I edit my cover photo?
Latest: 4 hours ago
Zip download doesn't work
Latest: 9 hours ago
How many collections and albums do you get with a free account?
Latest: 10 hours ago
This photo is no longer available - still no solution found
Latest: 12 hours ago
Reinstalled Windows, no adult content shown for me anymore (Safe Search Filters)
Latest: 14 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Slideshow /show no longer working

adaptiveglobalization says:

I have my tv cycle through a series of pages including an album on flickr using the /show option in the url. I uploaded 15 new pictures to the album today and now it just loads a massive black screen instead of working. Options are shown initially for a few seconds but are unclickable.

Tested it on multiple computers and browsers and yes I have flash updated to the latest version.

Can anyone assist me?
Posted at 10:57AM, 14 September 2016 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

adaptiveglobalization:

That version of the slideshow has been deprecated for quite some time now. Maybe staff finally killed it off for good. It's not working for me either.

Well, it's sort of half-working. The page loads, and I can see the title of the album in the browser window title, but the window itself is blank.
Posted 22 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

kmacgray:

Interestingly enough it was working just fine until I uploaded new photos to the album. Is it too optimistic to expect a response from a Flickr rep in these forums?

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

adaptiveglobalization:

No, but don't expect them to respond to every single topic, especially one regarding a feature that's been deprecated (but who knows). The mighty Zee is pretty active here though (responding in another thread 15 minutes ago) and staff do keep an eye on this forum.

view photos

Stig Nygaard PRO says:

It looks a little strange, because it looks like the old flash app is still there but just not working correctly. If Flickr completely kills the flash-slideshows (which kind of would make sense even though I miss some feature in it's replacement), they should at least forward users to the new slideshow. A lot of external links are pointing to the old slideshow addresses.

view photos

Stig Nygaard:
kmacgray:

I just tested it by creating a new album. Same result. Something must have changed on the back end.

Do either of you know a method where the slideshow starts streaming photos as soon as the browser lands on it (similar to the /show version)?

view photos

loupiote (Old Skool) pro PRO says:

i can confirm: the old flash slideshow loads, but does not display anything.

I really like the old flash slide show better than the new html5 with the annoying pan-and-zoom Ken Burns effect :(

view photos

mcnod PRO says:

A new version of Flash was automatically installed on my machine today, I believe this is the explanation for the failure, more than anything that flickr may have done. Could explain some other issues that seem to have surfaced for some people today.

view photos

kellyvilleflowerspot says:

I am also having the issue but no Flash update was needed, it was working yesterday and now all of a sudden isn't so I doubt it's my browser as also another person who uses a different browser and doesn't do updates could see the gallery yesterday and now can't.

view photos

mcnod PRO says:

nm
mcnod edited this topic 22 months ago.

view photos

flash was not updated on my computer, and it stopped working. so I think it is due to a flickr issue, not a flash issue.

view photos

eagle1effi PRO says:

it stopped working. so I think it is due to a flickr issue, not a flash issue.

loupiote (Old Skool) pro:

Germany
i see
black Screen

www.flickr.com/photos/eagle1effi/show/

flash works on my PC
test:
www.adobe.com/de/software/flash/about/

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito PRO says:

Cannot call up the old slide show, using the "/show" method, not on any one of my browsers. Flash not updated.

In Album view the white text at the top lights up for a second, then dies out and what is left is a black screen with no clues anywhere.

view photos

thekirbster PRO says:

Ditto here, all embedded slide shares in blogspot have turned to black in the last few hours. No recent Flash upgrade. Confirmed in FireFox & Chrome, Mac OSX.

view photos

thekirbster PRO says:

kmacgray:

embedding with iframe tag was deprecated but what's stopped working is object tag embedding, for which Flickr provides conveniently customizable HTML and no warnings about deprecation. Everything about album/show worked until a few hours ago. Strange. I bet they'll get it fixed soon. Great Architecture album BTW.

view photos

Cambridge Faculty of Law says:

Same problem. All the slideshows on our site are now non-functional.

So the question is - is this a final deprecation, or just a technical fault?

Can anyone suggest any other options for delivering Flickr albums via an embedded gallery - preferably non-flash HTML5?

view photos

College of Europe says:

Cambridge Faculty of Law:

same here, we're also missing an alternative to the no longer working slideshow in the new embed feature...

view photos

Katrin Ray PRO says:

MabelAmber ***Pluto5339***: The same for me!

I noticed this today too - the slideshow of my Flickr stream I had on my site is not working.
The black screen in any of my browsers too.
This "/show" method was such a nice feature...

FLICKR folks, could you, please, look into it?

view photos

kbisson@tmiclimatesolutions.com says:

Same here it worked for over 4 week straight and 3 days ago i come back and just see a black screen. I hope they didn't kill it off... If they did anyone know a way to have a url that when entered starts directly a slideshow? With no actions needed?

view photos

In spite of my suspicion that this particular flash based slide show has been abandoned, I shall still pass this one on to staff, see if we can get a formal confirmation whether indeed that is the case.
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito edited this topic 22 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric Willis PRO says:

Flash!!!!!!!!!

We made some security updates to the way Flash applets run yesterday. Flash is a pain in the ass.

If you go to an albums page and at the top-right, there is a little TV icon with a play arrow in it – press that and you'll get an HTML slideshow that will work anywhere.

Will that solve the issue ^ ?

view photos

stevemichaels1 says:

But how do we get captions to show in the current slideshow? They worked in the older Flash slideshow but there is no way to toggle them on in the HTML slideshow!!

view photos

Bellinzona Channel says:

adaptiveglobalization:

I have a same problem! also with www.flickrslideshow.com/

view photos

mcnod PRO says:

Eric Willis:

you'll get an HTML slideshow that will work anywhere

How can I change the speed that the images load in the HTML slideshow without stopping it and manually advancing?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric Willis PRO says:

Bellinzona Channel:

A better solution than using Flash would be to go to the /albums page of for the user (in your case, www.flickr.com/photos/bellinzonachannel/albums) and then use the share arrow to generate HTML for embedding a albums as a slideshow.

I did one here from one of my albums: jsfiddle.net/35uprkk9/

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric Willis PRO says:

mcnod:

How can I change the speed that the images load in the HTML slideshow?

That's not a feature of the HTML version.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric Willis PRO says:

I'm going to try something to help Flash out but no promises. Flash is a dying thing. Flickr isn't killing Flash – Adobe and Apple killed Flash! You can't blame us for this one :)

view photos

mcnod PRO says:

Eric Willis:

How can I start the HTML slideshow from a photo in the middle of an album?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric Willis PRO says:

mcnod:

How can I start the HTML slideshow from a photo in the middle of an album?

That's not a feature as far as I know. Is it possible with the Flash version?

view photos

mcnod PRO says:

Eric Willis:

Is it possible with the Flash version

Well, the flash version has the thumbnail filmstrip at the bottom so I can choose where to start or easily skip ahead as long as I am sitting in front of it (I'm not talking about embedded shows). If I could only get one wish, speed control would be more desirable than this.

Maybe this is the question I should be asking - Are there any controls at all right now for the HTML show and is it possible to add any in the future?

view photos

mcnod PRO says:

Eric Willis:

Is it possible with the Flash version

Actually yes (won't work right now of course but from my notes):

www.flickr.com/photos/mcnod/show/with/13411750134/

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric Willis PRO says:

mcnod:

Maybe this is the question I should be asking - Are there any controls at all right now for the HTML show and is it possible to add any in the future?

Clicking the arrows are the only controls. Maybe we'll add more in the future if they're wanted badly enough... and/or we get a couple of interns to work on it :)

mcnod:
Actually yes (won't work right now of course but from my notes):

www.flickr.com/photos/mcnod/show/with/13411750134/

Huh well, I did not see that coming. Flickr's a 13 year old site, lots of surprise features!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric Willis PRO says:

Okay so the Flash slideshow is fixed, at least temporarily. We will only revert this change if it is a security concern.

Like I said before, Flash is dying. Adobe and Apple's fault! (And honestly, I'm not sad ;)

view photos

mcnod PRO says:

Eric Willis:

Okay so the Flash slideshow is fixed, at least temporarily

Umm, not yet . . .

view photos

Cary Greisch PRO says:

Thanks a lot, Eric Willis!!
It works from here at least ;-)
www.flickr.com/photos/carygreisch/albums/7215767061514437...

view photos

mcnod PRO says:

mcnod:

Umm, not yet . . .

Sorry Eric, just had to close my browser and reopen it. And yes, there will come a day when that Flash show will be removed for good but be ready for all of the dissatisfaction (even though you have not officially provided a link to the old show for over a year). For me, I'll roll with increased security over features that can no longer be supported safety.

Now about the Archives page . . . (hehehe)

view photos

Eric Willis:

Flash!!!!!!!!!

Greased lightnin' --- thanks for popping in and taking care of this ;)

EDIT :

Eric Willis:

Okay so the Flash slideshow is fixed, at least temporarily. We will only revert this change if it is a security concern.

I can now once again call up the "unloved" Flash based slide slow, in the old way, by adding /show to both photostream URL and Album URL. Using Chrome and Vivaldi browser on Windows 10 (Vivaldi is sort of Chrome's twin).

view photos

susie sunshine2012 says:

my screen is black to The slideshow isnt working. The person I got the player from sent me this

the TV is throwing a 2048 error which as defined to the AS3 Virtual Machine, a 2048 error means that something has been done that would break security

When is Flickr gonna resolve this issue?

view photos

susie sunshine2012 says:

im using a player to view my albums in a virtual world called Utherverse

view photos

Eric Willis:

is there a way to send someone a URL that will start playing the HTML5 slideshow automatically?

when i add "/show" at the end of an album, it always triggers the old flash slideshow.

view photos

susie sunshine2012 says:

all the player is asking for is the list of images, that is in my album and all im getting is a black screen. The player does the slideshow.

The person I got the player from sent me this

the TV is throwing a 2048 error which as defined to the AS3 Virtual Machine, a 2048 error means that something has been done that would break security

When is Flickr gonna resolve this issue?

view photos

thekirbster PRO says:

It's now working for me again, like before. Yay!

view photos

susie sunshine2012 says:

mines not in utherverse. I still have a black screen on the player in my layout, heavy sigh

view photos

susie sunshine2012 says:

grrr if this isnt resolved soon I may look for another place for my pics. Hope its fixed soon cause I like Flickr well until now

view photos

someone reported on the yws-flickr developer's mailing list that the issue is related to a change in the crossdomain.xml file.

excerpt from this mailing list:

when the

<allow-access-from domain="*.*"/>

is no longer in the crossdomain.xml file, flash has been effectively shut down from using the api.

view photos

College of Europe says:

Eric Willis:

Thank you for bringing back the slideshow feature to our website. This brought some relief but immediately raises the next question.

What does flickr suggest it's customers should do to garuantee continuity when using these slideshows?

We have about 300 slideshows (using the /show) on our website. what would be your advice for the future to people who used this /show because of it's features? And does this mean we will need to replace the embedded codes for over 300 slideshows?

Thanks!

view photos

Katrin Ray PRO says:

Eric Willis:

Thanks for fixing it!!
Hope Flash will be around for a little while longer.

Will try your suggestion on the HTML version too.
Thank you :-)

view photos

theonlyone00120001 says:

More than likely, this issue is being caused by the Change to the crossdomain.xml file, that controls security for the Flickr API domain. Prior to the afternoon of Sept 14th, it was fine, and had the requirements needed for Flash (AS3 virtual machine) to be able to access the api. At approximately 5pm EST, the crossdomain.xml file was changed, and effectively shut out all Flash applications from having access to the data from the Flickr API.

The only thing that needs to be done, is to put back in 1 line in the crossdomain.xml file toj allow a flash application to access the data coming back from the api request.

view photos

Katrin Ray PRO says:

Eric Willis:

Just tried the HTML version.
Actually it's pretty neat! ...even if it will not play on its own, you have to click for each next image.
The minor not-so-good thing is that it not works well with images in portrait mode. The tall images just got cropped.

Another thing... This HTML version of slideshow works only for albums, while Flash version worked for photostreams too.
I wonder if you plan to have it for photostreams also?

Thanks!

view photos

mcnod PRO says:

Eric Willis:

Happy National Guacamole Day!

view photos

looks like flickr fixed their crossdomain.xml file, and now the flash slideshow is working again!

if you still have problems, it is probably because your browser or your flash is using the cached version of crossdomain.xml. try clearing your cash or maybe rebooting your system....

view photos

theonlyone00120001 says:

I don't see any change in the crossdomain.xml file at the following domain

api.flickr.com/services/crossdomain.xml

Nor is my app functioning, perhaps the sllideshow is using a different api set. Although I thought it had all been switched over to HTTPS from HTTP.

I cleared the one cache that should have been holding the crossdomain file, will run CC cleaner to make sure.

view photos

susie sunshine2012 says:

my player in the virtual world (Utherverse) is still black. It pulls the folder in Flickr and does the slideshow or did until Tuesday. This is very frustrating.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Any iodeas on how I can get a sliceshow working in Utherverse?

view photos

theonlyone00120001:

the URL you indicate is incorrect.

the correct URL for the crossdomain.xml file is:

www.flickr.com/crossdomain.xml

and the file should contain something like:

<cross-domain-policy>
<allow-access-from domain="*.yahoo.com"/>
<allow-access-from domain="l.yimg.com"/>
<allow-access-from domain="d.yimg.com"/>
<allow-access-from domain="s.yimg.com"/>
<allow-access-from domain="*.flickr.com"/>
<site-control permitted-cross-domain-policies="master-only"/>
</cross-domain-policy>

view photos

pachecorottweilers says:

Eric Willis:

Hey Eric since you are actual Flickr Staff could you address this post please. Thank you!

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157672994865581/

view photos

Espirito de Aventura PRO says:

I see a lot of blá-blá-blá but...

Do Flickr have better solutions for making interesting photo galleries than some flash applications?

Do Flickr galleries are aceptable to be embebed in webpages?

My answer is "NO"

So, I do not understand why do you prevent your customers to show their hosted pictures in Flickr, with flash applications on their own pages.

In my particular case I've my photos in flickr because that allows me to use several flash applications to create different types of galleries on my web pages. Without that functionality all my galleries are affected and the reason to maintain the photos em several Flickr PRO accounts is ended.

With your posture I'm forced to think that perhaps you will kill Flickr before Adobe Kill Flash "(And honestly, I'ts really sad) "

An not satisfied customer...

view photos

Espirito de Aventura PRO says:

I see a lot of blá-blá-blá but...

Do Flickr have better solutions for making interesting photo galleries than some flash applications?

Do Flickr galleries are aceptable to be embebed in webpages?

My answer is "NO"

So, I do not understand why do you prevent your customers to show their hosted pictures in Flickr, with flash applications on their own pages.

In my particular case I've my photos in flickr because that allows me to use several flash applications to create different types of galleries on my web pages. Without that functionality all my galleries are affected and the reason to maintain the photos em several Flickr PRO accounts is ended.

With your posture I'm forced to think that perhaps you will kill Flickr before Adobe Kill Flash "(And honestly, I'ts really sad) "

An not satisfied customer...

view photos

FairTradeConnection PRO says:

I am experiencing exactly the same problem.
The simpleviewer galleries work fine on mobile devises but "Flickr user not found" message on PC.

All my website is build around my photo galleries fetching from my pro Flickr account.

Flickr please solve this issue ASAP otherwise as someone else mentioned earlier...there's not much use in continuing paying for a Pro account on with Flickr.

a link to my website's photo galleries:
fairtradeconnection.org/e-m-a-giving-work-opportunities-i...

view photos

bennetthall PRO says:

Does anyone have a favorite alternative tool for embedding slideshows? Paid or free.

I found these so far:
- flickrit.com
- flickrembed.com

This sudden discovery has kaboloxed a whole lot of blogs and websites for us - I would like to "future proof" this problem as best as possible.

I realize Flash is likely core to this, perhaps combined with the Yahoo-security hack and changes in that code.

-Pictobrowsers own demo site no longer function either. www.db798.com/pictobrowser/samples.html

view photos

bennetthall PRO says:

We have been trying flickrembed.com

So far it seems to be the best alternative as it enables you have a bar with the metadata toggled on or off by the viewer

view photos

Zetton Nara says:

Eric Willis:

(I support and appreciate Flickr's transition to HTML5 )

now, Flickr seems to use Galleria technology to implement a slideshow, that's good.

so I want one more thing (sorry):
I want to have photostream slide show to embed.

I don't limit my slideshow to a specific album, but show my visitors the latest photos.

Once before in Flash era, Flickr provided photostream slideshow,too.
but current design change in these days, it disappeared and there exits only album-specific slideshow.

(I don't think I need "all my photos to slideshow", so it's OK to limit the number of photos to the latest 10, 50, 100, or something like that, because I just want to show these latest uploaded photos in the side column area of my blog sites in this use-case.)
Posted 21 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Zetton Nara says:

bennetthall:

How about FlickrEmbed.com?

no pop-up ad?

because this site is much similar with FlickrIt... as if copied.

I don't recommend Flickrit ( flickrit.com) because:

www.flickr.com/services/apps/72157643524679095/#comment72...
(see the later comments of the thread)
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157667629483096/
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157673604738782/

I also experienced this, as you see my comment on it.

now, Flickrit changed its name to Pickljar (still the site url is the same)

I forgot to mention this:

auto start the slideshow is important for me.
Posted 21 months ago. ( permalink )
Zetton Nara edited this topic 21 months ago.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads