Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans
Latest: 14 minutes ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 8 hours ago
Mobile app update: stats on the go.
Latest: 2 days ago
[Official Thread] Uploads locked for free members with 1,000+ photos or videos.
Latest: 2 weeks ago
Supporting international currencies and taxes
Latest: 5 weeks ago
[Official Thread] CEO Don MacAskill responses to Free and Pro account threads
Latest: 2 months ago

Current Discussion

Explore - Similar Multiple Images From Same Photographer
Latest: 2 minutes ago
Flickr Pro Support (14 days no response) / VIP Queue / Why no assigned case numbers?
Latest: 67 minutes ago
Group admin
Latest: 76 minutes ago
Auto Uploadr started working today
Latest: 2 hours ago
I can't access my galleries
Farewell Flickr
BUG: Getting Duplicate Email Notifications
Latest: 3 hours ago
New User (Pro) Cannot Upload Anything
Latest: 3 hours ago
galaxy S9 issues no download or upload of foto's
Latest: 5 hours ago
Updates on the move and log-in.. Hello Staff.
Albums not showing on iPad
Cannot upload photographs
Latest: 6 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Q&A] what does it mean my photos and data are transferring to SmugMug?

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

SHORT ANSWER: Flickr will stay Flickr. SmugMug (the company) will own Flickr, but you will continue to use the Flickr product, as it is today. Nothing changes with your account. Your use of Flickr will be governed by these new Terms of Service. Read on for more detail.

One of the more common misconceptions we're seeing in the forums and on social media is the concern that with the transition from Yahoo/Oath ownership to SmugMug ownership, you are giving your photos to SmugMug. Or that you have to stop having a Flickr account and download your photos and create a SmugMug account. Let me try to clarify:

1. If you stay with Flickr, you're simply agreeing to transfer your data to SmugMug [the company], not SmugMug [the product]. This is necessary for SmugMug to be able to host and run your Flickr account, just as Yahoo/Oath is currently hosting and running your Flickr account.

2. If you are ok with the change of ownership of Flickr from Yahoo/Oath to SmugMug, you don't need to do anything with your photos and nothing changes with your Flickr account. Just the owner of Flickr changes and the Terms governing your Flickr account change. You can (and IMO should) read SmugMug's Terms for Flickr here: www.smugmug.com/about/terms-flickr

I'll post a few more hot topics with other questions, but I'll keep this short so hopefully you don't get overwhelmed by a wall of text :)

-Matthew
Posted at 11:14AM, 23 April 2018 PST ( permalink )
adstads (staff) edited this topic 9 months ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 147 replies in [Q&A] what does it mean my photos and data are transferring to SmugMug?)
view photos

Paul's World Tour says:

Hi Matthew
Thanks for the info.
Will my Flickr collections, albums and photos display and operate the same with SmugMug hosting?
If not, what are the changes?
I'm now teaching a class to seniors about using Flickr, therefore this class and my 5000 photos are very important.
Thanks,
Paul H.
Posted 9 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

simonov says:

Another thread? You are a glutton for punishment.

view photos

jschumacher says:

Paul's World Tour:

There will be no functional changes. Collections, albums, groups etc. will continue to work just as they are now.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

simonov:

You are a glutton for punishment.

I think you are correct.

view photos

~Muriel~ says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Thanks Matthew:)

view photos

Omygodtom says:

Me and about 5,000,000+ other Flickr members,know that the Question being Avoided.Is>>>Will Smugmug fix Explorer.Its a unavoidable topic,that will keep Popping up. ...............Tom

view photos

spuddie7 says:

Omygodtom:

Far more importantly is will someone fix Recent Activity for those of us who found that Yahoo engineers obviously went on strike!

view photos

curly houses says:

Its just more smoke and mirrors as the change policies, Flickr might as well close they continue to restrict use to , its pointless to even use Flickrt, not to mention last time I was ripped off my paid account I suspect they will do it again to others like last time.

view photos

striped color says:

Doesn’t Smugmug charge a monthly fee?!

view photos

scsv1 says:

I spoke to this Smugmug.... we will have to pay to have our photos there (even if we use the site to "storage" the photos and keep them "private" like I do here).
I´ve been on Flickr since 2004, for a while I paid and now it´s free.... after it changes to the new site it won´t be free anymore and God knows how many photos we will be able to have in our albuns if we decide to use their services(I know have over 45thousand here).

view photos

scsv1 says:

Sue McDonald2013:

They do.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

scsv1:

we will have to pay to have our photos there

So don't create a smugmug account. Just keep your free flickr one.

view photos

scsv1 says:

Brenda Anderson:

Seems like Flickr won´t exist anymore.

view photos

The Searcher says:

scsv1: That is incorrect and the complete opposite of what Matthew (staff) said above and what the CEO of SmugMug has publicly said.

SmugMug the COMPANY will own Flickr. SmugMug the COMPANY will operate two distinct and SEPARATE products, one is called "SmugMug" and the other is called "Flickr".

You do not have to use the "SmugMug" product if you don't want to. You can continue to use the Flickr product as you always have.

view photos

Kitster2 says:

If I choose not transfer my images to SmugMug and to delete my current FlickrPro account, will I be refunded a prorated portion of my yearly fee? My annual renewal date is in Feb, so that is a sustantial portion of the fee.

view photos

JBAdams says:

Seems people are still misunderstanding the difference between Smugmug the company and Smugmug the product.

Smugmug the company is acquiring Flickr the product, which means Smugmug the company will have Smugmug the product and Flickr the product as separate entities serving their distinct purposes.

Just carry on using Flickr and stop worrying.

view photos

scsv1 says:

The Searcher:

I receive this in an e-mail:

"...We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy..."

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

scsv1:

And Matthew posted above:
If you stay with @Flickr, you're simply agreeing to transfer your data to @SmugMug [the company], not @SmugMug [the product]. This is necessary for SmugMug to be able to host and run your Flickr account, just as Yahoo/Oath is currently hosting and running your Flickr account. We are obligated by law to give you a notice that this is happening so that you are aware and can choose not to let this happen if you don't want.

view photos

guidowerner says:

Paul's World Tour:

Will my Flickr collections, albums and photos display and operate the same with SmugMug hosting?

Did You read the original posting? It states:

If you are ok with the change of ownership of Flickr from Yahoo/Oath to SmugMug, you don't need to do anything with your photos and nothing changes with your Flickr account.

Why do You think that "nothing changes" means that collections, albums and photos display changes?

view photos

guidowerner says:

Kitster2:

May I ask why You want to delete Your FlickrPro account? There seem to be a lot of misconceptions about what "transfer of images to SmugMug" means. I does NOT mean that the ownership of Your photos is transfered to SmugMug. It simply means that Flickr will be owned by SmugMug instead of Yahoo/Oath in the future. Nothing will change with regard to Your ownership of Your photos. It seems that many users haven't understood this and download their photos only because a massive misunderstanding of what is happening.

view photos

scsv1 says:

Brenda Anderson:

Yes, and if we don´t want Smugmug to run our account we will have to save the files we want then delete our Flickr account (Flickr won´t exist anymore).

Anyway, good luck to you all.
I´ll start saving my 45k+ photos.

view photos

guidowerner says:

scsv1:

and if we don´t want Smugmug to run our account

And what is worse with SmugMug running Your account compared to Yahoo/Oath running You account?

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

scsv1:

(Flickr won´t exist anymore).

Flickr will continue to exist after you delete your account. Good luck!

view photos

theronb says:

I have a free Flickr account and I understand that nothing will change with the new owners but I have a different question: Can I migrate my free Flickr account to a paid SmugMug account without having to upload the photos again?

There are some feature advantages to SmugMug and the Basic account is pretty reasonable but if I have to go through the process of uploading tens of thousands of photos and organizing them all again, then I'm not likely to make the switch.

view photos

ebamismoi says:

How will this affect my flickr pro account? Is there a fee for smugmug?

view photos

guidowerner says:

ebamismoi:

Nothing will change with Your Flickr account for the forseeable future as stated numerious times in the help forum.

What is so difficult with the word NOTHING?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Norby says:

theronb:

I believe there is a tool/app to upload your Flickr photos into a SmugMug account, yes.

-/\/

view photos

shadowshador says:

Norby:

I hope we all get to keep the sets and collections as they are?

Im a taxonomist of marine malacology of the class: gastropoda, mostly working with the order: neogastropoda. I use Flickr as a database to list the scientific classifications which are hyperlinked to each set and collection of there taxon ranking.

view photos

adayoutdoorstouring says:

guidowerner:

Well, 'nothing' in this sense seems to be 'something'. I presently have a free account with 'Flickr'. I have received the email, about the 'joinder' of the two operations and the transfer of 'Flickr' accounts to 'SmugMug' on May 25. No problem. But the email to me goes on to say (after that date) "....your account and data will transfer to SmugMug and be governed by Smugmug's Terms and Privacy Policy....' Now looking at their terms, it seems account holders have fourteen days of access after which an account holder - to maintain their account - must select a level of account and pay something to stay 'alive'. So this is my ultimate question. Does my reading of these arrangements conform to they way things will work? That is, fourteen days or so after 25 May, I must sign up to a paid account?

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

adayoutdoorstouring:

No.

Flickr and SmugMug will remain separate products, each as it is now.
Flickr will simply be owned by the same company that owns SmugMug.

view photos

simonov says:

Matthew started a new thread to answer many of the questions that have been asked again and again in the main thread and once again people skip his post and jump straight in and ask the same questions he has already answered, in most cases in both threads.

I don't think multiple threads will do the trick here.

view photos

kmacgray says:

simonov:

The help forum continues to be an interesting experiment in human behavior.

view photos

jurgen_2 says:

I must say I was confused as well by what I read with the message I got fro Flickr, but the explanations offered about how nothing will change is clear enough for me now, so thanks for this clarification and the good humor and patience of all of you! After May 25th and after 14 more days, I will know what will happen with my photos and albums now on Flickr! :)

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

kmacgray:

The help forum continues to be an interesting experiment in human behavior.

Yep.
It's almost as though half of an entire generation learned to read but not to understand what they read, to look but not to see, and to be entitled but to have no more than rudimentary social skills.
At different times I've found this funny, maddening or baffling (sometimes all of these at once).
These days I usually just find it intensely saddening. :-(

view photos

teh resa says:

Kitster2:

I can't see anywhere where your question has been answered. Somebody deflected your question with another question and assumptions about your motives, but that is not the same thing and just repeats other comments in the thread.

I'm guessing the answer to your question is "no", but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

I'd agree that the question of refunds for folks hasn't been addressed.

view photos

K Conkling says:

I got an email from Smugmug saying that, for now, the two platforms will continue to operate separately on their own platforms. Not sure how long "for now" is.
My question is why are they transferring our photos if its going to continue to be Flickr? And why do we have to delete our flickr accounts if the Flickr is going to continue to run? I understand its being taken over by Smugmug, but if we are going to keep our same url, why move our pixs?

view photos

The Searcher says:

K Conkling: You do not have to delete anything. They tried to explain in the email that if you don't WANT to be part of Flickr anymore, now owned by SmugMug, then your only option is to delete your Flickr account. If you don't want to delete your Flickr account, then you just have to accept that SmugMug is now the owner. That's it.

As for why the data has to move, that's because data has to be stored somewhere. Right now it's stored at Yahoo/Verizon, like physically in their building on their rows and rows of computer servers. When you buy something, it's usually part of the sale that you have to take it with you.

So think of Flickr, of all of our photos and content, like a used car in someone's garage. You go and buy that car from the owner. It would be weird if now that you own it, you kept it in their garage, right?

You gotta drive the car away. SmugMug bought the Flickrmobile, intends to keep it and fix it up (as opposed to stripping it for parts). And now has to drive it away from Yahoo/Verizon.

view photos

mcnod says:

The Searcher:

intends to keep it and fix it up (as opposed to stripping it for parts)

SmugMug and Flickr accounts will remain separate and independent for the "foreseeable future".

view photos

guidowerner says:

adayoutdoorstouring:

Now looking at their terms, it seems account holders have fourteen days of access after which an account holder - to maintain their account - must select a level of account and pay something to stay 'alive'.

No, no, no. Why repeat people this nonsense again and again? SmugMugs Terms for service for Flickr do NOT say that. Period.

Read SmugMugs Terms of service for the Flickr service again. Look here:

www.smugmug.com/about/terms-flickr

The only part telling You that You have to pay something is the part about Flickr pro. As You don't have a pro-Account this is completely irrelevant for You. It stated in other threads - even by Flickr staff - that free accounts will stay free for the foreseeable future.

There may be changes at some point in the future as can happen with each service in the internet. But for now NOTHING changes.

view photos

K Conkling says:

The Searcher:

got it! Thank you....

view photos

K Conkling says:

The Searcher:

Thanks

view photos

Tomasz Tuszko says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

In the e-mail I received you write:

If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018. .

So in order to keep my Flickr account I have to delete it, am I right?

Weren't it better to enable a simple choice - do I stay or do I leave (check the box), period?

view photos

Kombizz says:

What will happen to the membership fee for 2 years for Pro account? Does it increase or not?

view photos

ernstkers says:

Tomasz Tuszko:

So in order to keep my Flickr account I have to delete it, am I right?

No, you are wrong. Perhaps you are confused because likely English isn't your mother language.
If you do nothing, then your Flickr account with all the content will be transferred.
If you don't want (= keep from being) your account transferred, then you have to delete your account.

view photos

kwjensenphoto says:

:: Will i keep the same security and copyright settings?

:: Do i still need a yahoo mail account? – If not what about my flickr login settings?

view photos

stagedoor says:

I think this may be one of those "two nations divided by a common language" thing. Matthew used the work "keep" where he might have been better served by using "stop" - as in:-

"If you want to stop your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018. . "

If you want to KEEP your flickr account you do nothing and OWNERSHIP of the company (but not ownership of your content) will pass to SmugMug who have clearly stated that, for the foreseeable future, flickr will remain, under the flickr name, with no immediate change planned to how we use the site.

view photos

jenniferbeinhacker.com says:

hello kwjensenphoto-i think this is the answer to your question about how to log in after 25 may.

matthew said: Eventually we will move off of the Yahoo login system, but that will take many months, so nothing will change for log in on May 25th. When we finally do have the new login, we'll give Flickr members the option to log in with whatever email they want. When that's ready, we'll announce that to you in the product, on the Help Forum, etc.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

I'll post a few more hot topics with other questions, but I'll keep this short so hopefully you don't get overwhelmed by a wall of text :)

Is it any wonder reading comments here that people never read what they are signing up for as the small print is often wayover most people's heads to comprehend. And along with that there is confusion between Yahoo, Oath, Verizon, Flickr, and now SmugMug that has been coming at us all from all directions with no clear order.
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 9 months ago.

view photos

lyh1 ~ On & Off says:

Hi Mathew,

If I origiinally marked some of my photos as private, after the change over, will they still remained as private or I have to mark them as private all over again?

Because I read with some concern the privacy policy of smugmug as "In your “Privacy & Permissions” setting, you can choose to make your photos default to public for anyone to access, restrict access to a limited number of other Flickr users, or keep those photos private so only you can access them. If you do not change your settings, your photos will be public by default."

It is not very clear to me what it mean.

view photos

Tomasz Tuszko says:

ernstkers:

Thanks for the answer. You are perfectly right - English isn't my mother language.

Sorry for bothering you - the information I received is:
If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

My option is to leave all my pictures (albums) right here, where they are - at the Flickr page. I do not want open SmugMug account and transfer my pictures there.

Can you help me and explain what is the use of downloading pictures and deleting the account? Why am I encouraged to do so?

BTW - it seems from the posts above that the native speakers are confused too..

view photos

ernstkers says:

kwjensenphoto:

Will i keep the same security and copyright settings?

Yes.

kwjensenphoto:
Do i still need a yahoo mail account?

Yes. For the moment nothing changes with the login method. See staff's posting:

Matthew Almon Roth:
You will continue to log in with your current credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience you are used to. If things do change in the future, we’ll be as transparent as possible about the process and give you as much notice as we can about the issues that will matter to you.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Tomasz Tuszko:

Sorry for bothering you - the information I received is:
If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred

I'm afraid you still don't understand this sentence correctly.
If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred
means
If you do NOT want your Flickr account and data being transferred.
It's the opposite meaning from what you appear to understand.

Tomasz Tuszko:
I do not want open SmugMug account and transfer my pictures there.

There is no reason to do that.

Tomasz Tuszko:
Can you help me and explain what is the use of downloading pictures and deleting the account?

That's only in case you do NOT want to keep your Flickr account. If you want to keep your Flickr account, then just do nothing.

view photos

jschumacher says:

Tomasz Tuszko:

Matthew's language is imprecise and I can see how it is confusing. What he should have written is "If you want to prevent your Flickr account and data from being transferred...".

With the sale of Flickr to SmugMug Flickr has to legally tell all its users that they have a choice: Continue using Flickr on SmugMug or delete our accounts before ownership of Flickr gets transferred to SmugMug on May 25th.

If we choose to continue using Flickr after the sale to SmugMug we do not have to do anything. Doing nothing means our accounts, photos, albums, privacy settings, groups etc. continue unchanged under SmugMug's ownership of Flickr.

On the other hand, if we do not want our Flickr accounts to be associated with SmugMug we need to delete our accounts by May 25th.

view photos

EP Dave says:

mcnod:

SmugMug and Flickr accounts will remain separate and independent for the "foreseeable future".

It's the weasel word 'foreseeable' that concerns me. It could mean anything. I fear that SmugMug's assurances can not be taken at face value.

view photos

Stefano Rugolo says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Thank you. Very clear.... but seem no so much for some people... Maybe you should post another topic explaining this one. Haha....
Stefano

view photos

kmacgray says:

EP Dave:

Well of course they are going to say foreseeable, what else would they say? No one knows what will happen down the line.

What do you think would happen if they said "this is definitely how it's going to be", and then that doesn't happen?

Again, I think people are having some really unrealistic expectations around all this, where they want every detail spelled out NOW.

That's not how these things work in reality. If you don't trust SmugMug, that's something you need to work out for yourself.

view photos

EP Dave says:

kmacgray:

This is why I am wary of their promises. Seems they have past form for breaking them.

www.flickr.com/groups/smugmugusers/discuss/72157694124951...

view photos

kmacgray says:

EP Dave:

That thread is talking about a feature on SmugMug itself. Groups are a feature of Flickr. SmugMug and Flickr are going to exist as two separate sites. You are comparing apples and oranges here.

view photos

EP Dave says:

kmacgray:

It demonstrates that they said one thing and then did another. When someone does that, you can no longer automatically take them at their word again.

SmugMug and Flickr are going to exist as two separate entities, for now. That's all we know. For the foreseeable future. That's the sort of language politicians use just before they screw you.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

kmacgray:

You are comparing apples and oranges here.

if you put a rotten apple next to an orange, the orange will become rotten too.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

EP Dave:

It's completely unreasonable to ask any company to promise not to change anything EVER, let alone one that was already in the midst of a downward spiral.

But in this case, they have been extremely transparent with their current thoughts about the future vision - and the main takeaways are:

- They envision Flickr and SmugMug to remain 2 separate products

- They envision maintaining a free version of Flickr

- The Flickr Community is the MAIN REASON SM bought Flickr. That's the entire value, in their eyes. They whole-heartedly cherish the community.

Having said that, make no mistake - Flickr WILL change eventually. The SmugMug CEO promised that Flickr WILL change. But for the better, as he explains in this thread:

twitter.com/DonMacAskill/status/988468073244979200

view photos

mariah... says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

ok- Will we be charged for a " free " account?
two- will you delete most of our photos if we do not pay?
three, when?

We need a straight answer ! Here, not a link that makes us read for twenty minutes again and again.
Thank you.

view photos

kmacgray says:

EP Dave:

It demonstrates that they said one thing and then did another. When someone does that, you can no longer automatically take them at their word again.

Scarlet Pimpernel:

if you put a rotten apple next to an orange, the orange will become rotten too.

All of this inherent distrust and negativity is on you. I honestly don't know how some people get through life, or even their daily routine, thinking disaster is around every corner. You both can stick with the doom and gloom for now, I'm going to go with the facts and information presented thus far. When something changes, then I'll figure out what to do. Until then, living in a perpetual state of worry and panic doesn't seem healthy.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

yogini jen at GG bridge by whoisjason

view photos

jschumacher says:

mariah...:

1. No. Free accounts will remain free.
2. No. Your photos won't be deleted.

Note that there is no guarantee, under SmugMug's ownership or if Flickr had remained an Oath property, that free accounts will remain free forever.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

If I don't accept this walk's terms of service, will my yoga pants be deleted?

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

kmacgray:

God I hope not. For all of our sake!

view photos

kmacgray says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

😂😂😂😂😂

view photos

BWltrz says:

JBAdams:

Are you saying that SmugMug will NOT charge for me to keep my free Flickr account as it is now?

view photos

kmacgray says:

BWltrz:

Correct.

view photos

Casa-Steve says:

If I object to my data being moved, and want to delete my Pro account because of this buy-out by Smug Mug, can I get a refund on my subscription fee?

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Stefano Rugolo:

Thank you. Very clear.... but seem no so much for some people... Maybe you should post another topic explaining this one. Haha....
Stefano

Ha!

I'm beginning Matt should make a "bare essentials" thread that just says:

SMUGMUG BOUGHT FLICKR. NOTHING WILL CHANGE FOR FLICKR USERS FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. ZILCH. ZERO. NADA.

The only action you need to do at this time is this:

Step 1: Read SmugMug's Terms of Service.

Step 2: Ask yourself: "Do I agree to these new Terms of Service?

*If your answer is "YES," then nothing more is required. Keep enjoying Flickr as you have been!

*If your answer is "NO," then you can delete your account through your account settings (because you must agree to these terms in order to use Flickr).

YOU MUST DO THESE STEPS BY MAY 25, 2018

Note: the above is the stripped down, essential information. If you'd like additional details, please see this FAQ section:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157692729336502/

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

Nice one.

Unfortunately you'd still get people who don't do joined-up thinking who would respond with "But you didn't specifically mention groups/explore/links/free accounts/pandas/guacamole etc." and who would get very demanding and angry.

That said, it might very well be a good thing. :-)

view photos

Tomasz Tuszko says:

jschumacher:

Tomasz

Oh, thank you very much! Now it is clear, at last.

view photos

louise.woodstock says:

louise.woodstock edited this topic 9 months ago.

view photos

Viejito says:

louise.woodstock:

How then, can I agree so that my Flickr account still works beyond that date

You agree by not closing your account.

view photos

louise.woodstock says:

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

louise.woodstock:

So it's been 4 or 5 days now since the acquisition

No, it has not.
SmugMug will not be taking over until the 25th of May - just over a month from now.

view photos

guidowerner says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

SMUGMUG BOUGHT FLICKR. NOTHING WILL CHANGE FOR FLICKR USERS FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. ZILCH. ZERO. NADA.

The only action you need to do at this time is this:

Step 1: Read SmugMug's Terms of Service.

Step 2: Ask yourself: "Do I agree to these new Terms of Service?

*If your answer is "YES," then nothing more is required. Keep enjoying Flickr as you have been!

*If your answer is "NO," then you can delete your account through your account settings (because you must agree to these terms in order to use Flickr).

YOU MUST DO THESE STEPS BY MAY 25, 2018

Note: the above is the stripped down, essential information. If you'd like additional details, please see this FAQ section:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157692729336502/

Good try. But I'm not sure if that is clear enough. :-) At least that text should be translated in all existing languages.

Recently I have read a story about a deadly bungee jump. A woman who wanted to jump was told "no jump" by a staff member who didn't speak English very well. The woman understood "now jump". And that is what she did. This story shows that even simple words like "no" can be misinterpreted.

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

guidowerner:

A woman who wanted to jump was told "no jump" by a staff member who didn't speak English very well. The woman understood "now jump"

I understand the point you were making, but you have to admit spoken words can be more easily misheard. ;)

view photos

simonov says:

EP Dave:

This is why I am wary of their promises. Seems they have past form for breaking them.

www.flickr.com/groups/smugmugusers/discuss/72157694124951...

All that thread suggests is that SmugMug occasionally makes changes that might be unpopular with some of its users.

Hey, guess what? Flickr has been known to do that as well.

view photos

EP Dave says:

simonov:

They make a big point of purporting to listen to customers but then they just do whatever they want anyway. So their sales pitch rings hollow.

when you’ve told us what you needed, we’ve listened.

You told us you needed somewhere safe for your priceless photos. We built systems to keep billions of them securely in the cloud so they’d be safe forever—safe in every sense of the word: their pixels and bytes, access, controls, and rights.

You told us your photos needed to look amazing. We built a service that any photographer, anywhere in the world, could use to showcase their photos beautifully with ease. Your stories look better here—bigger and sharper with no distractions—exactly the way you, the photographer, intended.

You told us you want to keep communities... and we ignored you.

That was just the beginning. We’re still listening. But we reserve the right to ignore you when we feel like it.

www.smugmug.com/about

(bold parts mine, but that boils down what they're actually saying.)

view photos

JBAdams says:

BWltrz:

Are you saying that SmugMug will NOT charge for me to keep my free Flickr account as it is now?

Both Smugmug & Flickr have made a point of stating that Flickr will not be changed for the foreseeable future. Every one of the many statements about the acquisition has made this clear, and yet there seems to be some confusion about it.

Just to clarify further, Flickr offers free accounts and also Pro accounts, for which users pay a reasonable sum for significantly more features. So there is already a paid option. The free accounts are a big part of Flickr's success as a photo-sharing site. Smugmug would have too many disincentives to change that.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

EP Dave:

But we reserve the right to ignore you when we feel like it.

So you are saying that a company is bad because they don't make business decisions for themselves instead of just implement every single change that every single customer requests? And what happens when 2 customers ask for 2 opposite things. Which customer do they listen to?

Every company in the world takes customer feedback into consideration, and then makes their own decisions based on what they feel is best for the company. It's simply outrageous to expect anything else.

view photos

EP Dave says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

So how many customers were demanding the removal of that feature?

I assume none, because any customers who didn't use it, or like it, could just refrain from using it and be no worse off.

Look, I don't expect businesses to act in any way other than self interest. I'm not entirely naive. It's just that you can't simultaneously recognise this fact, but then act surprised when someone is sceptical of their promises, and weasel words like 'foreseeable future'. Scepticism is healthy. It's based on experience of the real world and how real people and businesses behave.

view photos

mcnod says:

EP Dave:

bold parts mine

The fact that you admit it is inconsequential. How can you possibly expect anyone to take you seriously when you create your own sentences and insert them into the body of their actual words, as if it were still their words, lol.

view photos

EP Dave says:

mcnod:

It isn't complicated... the bold parts are my commentary on what I consider to be the meaning of what they are actually saying.

view photos

jschumacher says:

EP Dave:

The way you did that is really confusing. By convention, when someone bolds text within a block quote like that they are highlighting what was written in the block quote, not adding information that did not exist.

view photos

EP Dave says:

Hence why I explained at the end of my post. I didn't realise it would cause such confusion and consternation...

view photos

mcnod says:

EP Dave:

I didn't realise it would cause such confusion and consternation...

It's "foreseeable future" turned up to 11.

view photos

Skip Hunt says:

My legacy Pro account is $24.95/yr. It's due again in June. Will the cost to continue my Pro account on Flickr stay the same? Or, will the new smugmug ownership change that?

I've got my account set up to basically autopay. If the new smugmug owners are not going to continue the same services for the same cost, I need to remove that autopay and find an alternative for storage.

It's been said that nothing was going to change other than ownership for the foreseeable future. Does that mean that all current and legacy accounts will continue unchanged after the handover to smugmug?

view photos

kmacgray says:

EP Dave:

They make a big point of purporting to listen to customers but then they just do whatever they want anyway. So their sales pitch rings hollow.

Well, everything is terrible then and I'm not sure what to tell you because something might change at some point.
kmacgray edited this topic 9 months ago.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Skip Hunt:

It's been said that nothing was going to change other than ownership for the foreseeable future. Does that mean that all current and legacy accounts will continue unchanged after the handover to smugmug?

Nothing means exactly that: nothing.

So if nothing is going to change that would obviously have to include the accounts.
Otherwise it would not be "nothing".

view photos

guidowerner says:

Skip Hunt:

My legacy Pro account is $24.95/yr. It's due again in June. Will the cost to continue my Pro account on Flickr stay the same? Or, will the new smugmug ownership change that?

As long as SmugMug doesn't announce a change the price will stay the same. Given that it will probably take several months for SmugMug to figure out how they want to operate Flickr in the future I would say that Your chances are quite good that Your account will be renewed in June for the same price. Off course I can't say for sure.

view photos

bulldog1 says:

My pro account is due May 1, 2018 for one year. My email is yahoo ....
so do I do the Oath agreement? I'm still not sure about many things and been a pro member since 2004. Do the many photos I have just transfer over when it's time??

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

scsv1:

I spoke to this Smugmug.... we will have to pay to have our photos there (even if we use the site to "storage" the photos and keep them "private" like I do here).
I´ve been on Flickr since 2004, for a while I paid and now it´s free.... after it changes to the new site it won´t be free anymore and God knows how many photos we will be able to have in our albuns if we decide to use their services(I know have over 45thousand here).

SmugMug charges for their accounts. Flickr has both free and paid subscriptions.

When Flickr moves over to SmugMug ownership, we will still offer a free Flickr account level.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

scsv1:

Yes, and if we don´t want Smugmug to run our account we will have to save the files we want then delete our Flickr account (Flickr won´t exist anymore).

This is pure misinformation. This is not going to happen.

view photos

touchka1 says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

HELLO ,
i am sorry my english is probably not so good ;) ..
i just want to know if i'll still keep my galery and my friends or family agreements to navigate on my account as it is .. or if i ill have something to do.

and i never paid anything for my account .... i that going to change?
thanks for answering
have a good day

view photos

jschumacher says:

touchka1:

You do not need to do anything. Your Flickr pages will stay the same and your friends and family can navigate on your account just as they do now.

The free account will remain free.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 147 replies in [Q&A] what does it mean my photos and data are transferring to SmugMug?)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads