[Official Thread] (Updated 2019.03.10) Temporary Video Downtime
Latest: 4 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 9 minutes ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Official Thread] Updates on speed & stability so far
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Official Thread] Timeline extension for free Flickr accounts over 1,000 photos + videos
[Official Thread] Update on Creative Commons licenses and “In Memoriam” accounts
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans
Latest: 3 days ago

Current Discussion

Not possible to download uploaded videos during migration
Latest: 2 minutes ago
Changing primary emailadress
Latest: 20 minutes ago
Administration problems
Latest: 54 minutes ago
Geo-tagging on an iPad
Remove This Thread - Sorry!
How do I highlight multiple photos in Organize in minimum steps?
[ATTN: STAFF, ISSUE NOT FIXED] Comments not posting, slowness, bad pandas, bad gateways.
My albums have disappeared
Counting to 1000: Lapsing Pro Account, Creative Commons and Photo Privacy
Latest: 5 hours ago
My early morning waking up
Latest: 6 hours ago
Lost new videos [BUG]
Latest: 8 hours ago
Bug - Tagging photo with a phrase
Latest: 8 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr

Kelly Cheng says:

Hi SmugMug

Your CEO Don McAskill said that he would like to collect feedback from users before making any decisions to Flickr. Flickr has been the platform to share and manage my photos since 2005 and I am still in touch with friends made through Flickr. So here are my wish list :)

1. Make the community engaging again

2. Keep the unlimited Pro storage (and price)

3. Let us to leverage on SmugMug platform to sell prints for selected photos or when someone shows interest, eg. allow the file for print order

4. Let us mark/flag selected photos to be showcased as a portfolio website of our own through templates, ie. we do not need to upload the photos again, with customised URL

5. Drop the Yahoo! log in credential

6. Fix the Explore

More later :)

Best,
Kelly
Posted at 3:05AM, 25 April 2018 PDT ( permalink )

(701 to 800 of 1,416 replies in Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr)
view photos

Alan.Rust says:

Please, do not make Flickr more like other sites, keep it unique. Let those who want it to be a clone of fb go to fb, those who want it to be more like Instagram go to Instagram, those who want it to be more like Smug Mug go to ……… well you get the idea.

By all mean improve the Flickr experience, but do not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Posted 8 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Seclusive Nature says:

Viejito:

I did mean Flickrmail. Just like being able to turn off comments on our photos, I’d rather not even give someone an option to message me. Too much hostility here and sure, you can ignore it but how is that better than not having an option?

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

Seclusive Nature:

If you block someone, they do not have the option to fmail you.

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

* braunpanther *:

flickr "admins" started to flag my images in a way wchich was incredible. People and actions that I really would not call fair. I agree with those saying flickr is a very poorly managed site. Too much unjust hostility experienced here.

I haven't looked at your images but if they were misflagged, then you were unfairly abusing the site by making images visible to people who have chosen not to see that kind of imagery. It is hostile of you to force your misflagged images upon people, when the rules clearly state you must properly moderate your own site or the staff will do it for you.

ETA: and now I have, and you have several misflagged even now. 🤦🏼‍♀️

view photos

Seclusive Nature says:

FlyButtafly:

I realize that and have done that a few times. We should still have the option to turn it off.

view photos

Viejito says:

Seclusive Nature:

you can ignore it but how is that better than not having an option?

Ignoring flickrmail is an option.

view photos

Seclusive Nature says:

Viejito:

Yes, but a DIFFERENT option than being able to turn it off completely. I’m getting the sense that you just want to argue, which I’m not going to be drawn into. I put my suggestions out there in case others might like them, as well,or for the new owners to consider. I didn’t post to have them picked apart or to argue about them or to have to defend them.

view photos

Viejito says:

Seclusive Nature:

argue, which I’m not going to be drawn into

Too late.

view photos

V.C. Wald says:

Kelly Cheng:

I would really like a way to make it impossible for anyone (other than me) to right-click-save my images or to link to them from another site without making them invisible to the public. Sure, I'm well aware it's easy to swipe an image using a screen shot, Windows' snip tool, etc., but right-clicking and downloading is what most people use to steal the highest resolution image.

Theft might be the highest form of flattery but it's illegal and beyond irritating.
Thank you!

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

V. C. Wald:

On the Smugmug site its much more difficult to copy photos. So maybe the same system will come flickr's way one day. I think it will be quite a few years though as the new login and moving all data to the new server's is taking up a year or so. I cannot see anything new until all that is done first.

view photos

Pacdog says:

I hope every member of the new Flickr staff take a hour to listen to this interview of Stewert who created Flickr..

www.npr.org/player/embed/633164558/633172089

Do it!

~Paccy

view photos

Zoom Lens says:

Valus stohlietniez!

view photos

Pictures from the Ghost Garden says:

Please get rid of pages that "automatically scroll/fetch more photos" and replace them with pages with a fixed and reasonable number of images and allow us to click "next page" for ourselves.
Posted 7 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Not something that large numbers will require I expect but for those accounts that actually hit the 1tb limit, please offer a paid for option to expand that capacity so that it is not necessary to post further images to a second and separate account.

view photos

markinho.fr says:

Hi !

Sorry if the question was already answered but...
Since you are working on getting rid of Yahoo for the login, could we please get the option for 2FA authentication with OTP Apps like Authy/OTP Auth for more security ?

Thank you.

view photos

Alan.Rust says:

markinho.fr:

2FA authentication with OTP Apps like Authy/OTP Auth for more security

Can someone work on a translator for us old folk please ? lol

view photos

Alan.Rust says:

Pictures from the Ghost Garden:

+1

view photos

Viejito says:

Alan.Rust:

translator for us old folk please ? lol

It is like when I was listening to American rock as a kid: I did enjoy the songs though I did not understand the words. Here the song is obviously about more security, so I say, Yea, yea, yea!...;-)

view photos

jschumacher says:

Alan.Rust:

2FA - two-factor authentication
OTP - one-time password

view photos

Alan.Rust says:

jschumacher:
markinho.fr:

Thanks, boy do I feel stupid, seems so obvious when explained, doh !

Viejito:
I've always been like that with most music :-)

view photos

sh@ron0 says:

Get rid of auto tagging! It's so wrong!!!

Re-institute the old Flickr feature of drop down invite and comment codes right above the comment box so we don't have to search for these codes in different places in every group. If I recall, only the groups you belonged to codes would appear in the drop down menu! That was such a handy feature!

view photos

Pacdog says:

laptop@Charger:

account reported.

view photos

cirkel der natuur says:

A lot of members
are losing their PRO-account
me too !
can't pay with PayPal
Please,
make it well !

view photos

markinho.fr says:

Alan.Rust:

Ha ha ha sorry for not explaining. Will do my best next time :)

jschumacher:

Thanks.

view photos

Alan.Rust says:

markinho.fr:

My bad, is that the right term youngsters use these days ? :-D

view photos

Chris Adams says:

Just wanted to repeat the request for a persist album sort order setting. That's the most common bit of tedium I have since a couple relatives always want to see the latest baby pictures and there's no way to do that using the iOS app.

view photos

markinho.fr says:

Alan.Rust:
I guess. Although I am not too young and not a native english speaker lol

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

sh@ron0:

Re-institute the old Flickr feature of drop down invite and comment codes right above the comment box so we don't have to search for these codes in different places in every group.

This was never a flickr feature. It sounds to me like an old GM script possibly, but Flickr never had a built-in comment code generator.

view photos

Viejito says:

FlyButtafly:

This was never a flickr feature.

And I hope it never becomes one. Writing a comment from the heart (or mind... or stomach...) should be faster and easier than plastering a flashy group logo with some bold text under our photos.

Alan.Rust:
My bad

That’s sóóó early 21st century!...;-)

view photos

amazingstoker says:

Two top things on my wish list:

get rid of 'infinite' scrolling pages, or at least allow an option to page them in to separate numbered pages.

Allow an opt out from auto tagging.

view photos

sh@ron0 says:

FlyButtafly:

Oh yes...you are right...it was a 3rd party add on.

view photos

sh@ron0 says:

Viejito:

those code generators never prevented personal comments, and you didn't have to use them, but for the many who enjoy and participate in groups who require the use of their codes, it was very fast and helpful.

view photos

Pacdog says:

sh@ron0:

The App garden is still alive. Sadly many devs who wrote codes there have not kept up with the newer site changes. I have always felt Flickr should keep all of them up to date with changes, but I'm not them nor Flickr..

Kinda sad really.

Hopefully the New owners will sort this issue also.

view photos

CDfolia says:

Login - I’m desperate to ditch yahoo and go back to the glory days of signing in to and account, or opening a new one, with any non yahoo email.

I know there are workarounds but they currently still all involve needing a yahoo account somewhere in the process and that means needing a phone number. Lots of my elderly relatives that want to join to see my private albums don’t have mobile phones or don’t want to share their numbers because then they sometimes get added to cold call lists after data mining or hacks.

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads says:

CDfolia:

Coming soon, and we can't wait!

And thank you all for the continuing feedback, which we're all continuing to read and consider as we plan Flickr's future!

view photos

jjadczak says:

I want to start off by saying that I have not read everyone's responses so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered. Flickr is an awesome platform and I hope that it will continue to evolve and become even more awesome. Here is my wish list:

1. The Flickr tags list need to be in the "You" drop down menu of your account. The tagging feature is really robust but it's always been hidden. Please make it easier to find your list of tags. Also incorporate it into the mobile app since we use an iPad or mobile device to project onto a TV. So let's say I have tagged uncle "John Doe" and we are attending a viewing at his funeral, we would have a slideshow of every picture he is tagged in running on a TV screen. It's a challenge to find all those photos when there is not an icon present.

2. Please bring back the Flickr Map feature. It's hidden even worse than the tagging feature. It's so cool to tag my photos by location but no one can access this map unless they are logged into my account and I don't want that.

view photos

Yardski says:

I haven't read all of the above, but I have a few general thoughts.

I suspect the obvious ones are already dealt with - I've been wanting to get rid of my Yahoo account for years now.

But there are a lot of small things that I'm always finding myself having to work around. For example, date formats. In my country, the date "04/10/2018" is obviously and entirely unambiguously in October. It never ever means April - except in the Flickr Organizr, which insists on US-format dates. Every time I try and change - or even look at - a date in Organizr I have to work around this.

Other platforms have allowed local-format dates for decades. This isn't a new idea. But not Flickr. In fact, Flickr's approach to internationalisation - even in the sense of allowing that not all English-speakers are in the USA - has been very poor for as long as I've been here.

Similarly, Flickr doesn't allow you to change the time by anything other than an integer number of hours. You forget to change your timezone on your camera, fine - unless your trip involves Newfoundland, South Australia, India or any of the other places with half- or quarter-hour offsets. And if it's just that your camera clock was wrong, by X minutes and Y seconds, tough luck - you've got to change it on every photo individually or download/delete from Flickr, change them offline, and re-upload.

This is one example, there are many others. As a general principle, if you can do it on the photo page, you should be able to do it to a customisable batch in the Organizr.

And there's also a whole heap of things you just can't search on in the Organizr. Why can't I get a list of my photos by camera, for example?

For me then, a starting point is to fix clunky interfaces and everyday irritations, and make incremental improvements. Hopefully, Smugmug is willing to invest the time and effort to sort these sorts of things.

One final thing though. Having seen the price rise, I was looking at Smugmug the product today to see if it fits what I want from Flickr better than Flickr does. For someone with a stream the size of mine (over 80k photos) there's a certain effort involved in any form of transfer between products. I would want to know it was worth it - that this is something I would want to do, that it could be done smoothly and with a minimum of hassle - before committing to anything. While I understand that they are separate products and should stay that way, I would hope that a certain amount of interoperability would be possible once Flickr is fully migrated to Smugmug's infrastructure that would help transferrers between the products.

view photos

pamelaadam says:

Please stop the auto tagging. It gets a lot of things wrong. Apparently a clothes peg is a bird.
The map for Scotland even in the cities is inaccurate. It may be other places too but I haven't experienced that too often.
Keep the unlimited for pro, now the price is over £40 it's the only thing which is worth the cost.
About the community being engaged. I feel that's down to the users. Admins can try different ways to engage but unless the members are willing ........

view photos

leftoverking says:

back in the pre-yahoo days every user was allowed to use flickr's bulk uploader. this tool was great and worked flawlely for me till flickr turned off my ability to use it just this year. my family has two other non-pro flickr accounts, and the bulk uploader still works for them, but not for me. seems unfair, and i was wondering if smugmug will be allowing this tool for general use again? it would be nice. i have not uploaded a single image for months due to the fact that this tool for me is disabled, and the sites upload page barely works for me. often it takes 5 or 6 tries for me to upload a singe image as of late. been a long time flickr user, but about to give it up.

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Maybe this was mentioned earlier, I don't know.

Please get rid of the recommended images on the home page. They drive me crazy because they are horrible, stupid and I don't want to see them, no more than I wanted to see Explore. At least I don't have to look at explore, but those images on my feed are smacked in my face.

view photos

stephencurtin says:

As a administrator of a challenge group (The Challenge Factory), having the old format as an option is vital. There are a few scripts that still work and make the tasks easier. Flickr Hacks and Challenge Group Syndicate were groups that encourage user scripts that made running groups easy and encourage community. With the Beta format almost all of those scripts became useless. As a result most of the community of contest groups closed or lost moderators and administrators. Those groups were a major source of community building within the Flickr universe. They were very different than the contest based systems that you see in Viewbug, Gurushots or other similar websites. No prizes, just recognition. A great example was the Pinnacle. Well thought out themes, members providing instruction on specific skill sets, and stepped levels of difficulty. Many members of that group continue to follow each other on Facebook now that the group is closed. I have no idea where Flickr is going or what the focus will be in the future, but those groups encourage new photographers to expand their skills, develop a perspective of valuing diverse photographic formats, and experience accomplishment in a safe community. These groups cultivated an expanding number of skilled photographers. I don't hope that scripts and these groups will be fostered by the new owners, but for those of us limping along the loss of the few scripts left will doom our groups if the choice to use the old format instead of the beta is removed.
stephencurtin edited this topic 7 months ago.

view photos

This Lighthouse Says says:

I like auto tags - even when it can’t tell a sunrise from a sunset - which is should if it has the GPS coordinates.

view photos

ultra jam says:

Please bring back our site like it was before Yahoo destroyed it in 2013. Thanks in advance.
ultra jam edited this topic 7 months ago.

view photos

aussiejeff says:

Would it be at all possible to increase the maximum Flickr viewer zoom size (using the one-click mouse magnify tool) from the current stultifying 2048 pixels width to *at least* 4096?

With so many HD images coming on stream now & so many panorama shots being taken & uploaded, the Flickr Photostream viewing experience in my opinion is pretty poor & falling way behind expectations.

it seems antiquated in the extreme to be stuck with such a low pixel width limit when many of today's TV's can display 4K (4096 pixels) - and most digital cameras can far exceed that.

I have plenty of large pixel .jpegs (ie > 3,000+ width such as panos) on the site that cannot be viewed as I would like others to see them - without being familiar with the convoluted current unsatisfactory workaround method of (a) View all image sizes, (b) select the size you want to view, then (c) having to use painfully inadequate scroll bars to navigate the resultant image - rather than intuitive mouse-move navigating that is at least possible with the limited mouse-click-zoom function atm!

So, if I really want the viewer to be easily able to navigate a large format image, I am forced to upload a copy to my backup Google Drive site & paste the link to that copy back into my Flickr page comments section to give viewers relatively easy access to a proper mouse scroll zoom function with decent view size.

However, this is 2018 - surely I shouldn't have to resort to this??! If nothing else, I would dearly love the new Flickr owners to seriously consider providing this upgrade ASAP.

view photos

aussiejeff says:

CDfolia:

Quote -"Login - I’m desperate to ditch yahoo and go back to the glory days of signing in to and account, or opening a new one, with any non yahoo email.

I know there are workarounds but they currently still all involve needing a yahoo account somewhere in the process and that means needing a phone number. Lots of my elderly relatives that want to join to see my private albums don’t have mobile phones or don’t want to share their numbers because then they sometimes get added to cold call lists after data mining or hacks." End Quote.

- Seconded completely..

view photos

Yardski says:

This Lighthouse Says:

I don't entirely disagree - except that far too often they're just so completely wrong that they're worse than useless. I've just checked my Magic View and on the first screen - 14 images - I have two lots of geese tagged as cats and a person tagged as an insect.

The idea of autotags was that robot needed some training and that we as users would train it - by removing incorrect autotags when we found them. As thousands of Flickr users did this, the autotags would become more and more accurate.

The problem with that was that removing the autotags was a laborious process as you had to do it on each photo individually. And once they were removed, new autotags could be added at any time and without warning. Which would be fine if each of us had no more than about a dozen photos that we lovingly curated. But I think I once worked out that fixing autotags on my stream would take all my free time for about nine months. It would be a huge amount of effort for very little gain.

If Flickr had been bought out by one of the Big Tech Companies, you might have seen them use their resources to make this better - though even the best systems make mistakes. With Smugmug, the most likely room for improvement (i.e. without ditching the feature entirely) may be some kind of batch editing system that at least makes the process of improving the robot easier.

view photos

Bebopgirl1969 says:

Yardski:

Agree with most of this but would add that for some of us who don't want auto-tags at all, even the ones that are correct get removed (not that I will ever be able to deal with the thousands of auto-tags that were added to my thousands of photos when they introduced the feature).
What we really need is an option to opt out completely for those who want it, and one to keep auto-tags for those who find them helpful. That way the robot would also get better training.

view photos

Bebopgirl1969 says:

As an addendum to the auto-tag comments, if we have hidden our tags from search, why do we still get results in our stats from public searches? Please fix this so that hidden means hidden (and also let us opt out of auto-tags so we don't have to hide anything in the first place).

I got so fed up with unwanted auto-tags--and the fact that they inadvertently made the searches for porn clog up my stats--(btw, I have no sexual photos in my account) that I hid all tags from searches, yet I still get weird search results for porn-ey type stuff quite often. These results are pretty much always being caused by auto-tags on old photos. Even innocent auto-tags like "face" get nasty results because of the way Flickr strings together stuff in search results--a search using face plus sexual stuff really shouldn't return simple photos of people's faces, ie portraits, simply because Flickr decided to auto-tag them face, but since they do I would really, really like the option to turn off auto-tags completely, and also to feel confident that if I've hidden everything from public searches that they are, indeed, not searchable.

I know, I know. The internet is never going to be free of people looking for porn. However, Flickr doesn't need to make it easier for people to harass people who don't post porn by forcing auto-tags and a weird search system on users. I understand that every so often something like this might happen, but when a single photo of someone's face starts getting hundreds of views for a string of words that have nothing to do with said photo (except for the auto-tag "face"), then that is more than simply annoying, because it should be easy to solve. The only solution at the moment seems to be to delete the photos when this happens, but should this be necessary? This is one of the reasons I want control over my tags, and especially over tags on the thousands of photos that Flickr tagged retroactively.

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

Bebopgirl1969:

+1

I do not like being subjected to the knowledge of all the different weird fetishes people have on this site due to their searches showing up in my stats. I learned long ago which tags not to add (gloves, bandana, mask, anything to do with washing *anything*, etc.) but there is no way to control what autotags are added. Just reading some of the search terms that my photos have come up in makes me feel violated.... And as long as autotags are still added to photos, I won't let my daughters sign up for Flickr either.

view photos

sashazur says:

Kelly Cheng:

My #1 wish for SmugMug's takeover is that they keep Flickr pretty much as-is, EXCEPT please get rid of the awkward Yahoo login, or at least make having a Yahoo account optional.

view photos

Alan.Rust says:

FlyButtafly:

which tags not to add

But it doesn't have to be tags to get that effect. I happened to mention that the subject of a photo I uploaded today was of an ornament that was a favourite of my wife.

I wondered why I was having so many views …………… then I found out that it was because I had mentioned my wife !! All those who viewed the photo must have been very disappointed lol.

So I guess if you don't want any of your photos to end up in certain searches, best not add tags, titles or descriptions.

Edited to remove duplicate word "because".
Alan.Rust edited this topic 7 months ago.

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

Alan.Rust:

:/

view photos

Bebopgirl1969:

FlyButtafly:

Alan.Rust:

Something that Flickr could consider is ring fencing searches for restricted content. They could block certain search terms unless “search restricted” is selected and then only search within restricted content when it is selected. There are bound to be complications though, such as words that have different meanings either in the same or in different languages.

view photos

Ben_Middleton says:

Kelly Cheng:

It would be nice to be able to download pictures in the order we have them on our camera roll. This means you would be able to display them in order on a digital photo display or on a computer.

view photos

Dorota.S - ! says:

My dream, let Recent Activity work on my profile after 6 months of non-action, finally !!!!!

view photos

heady ducks says:

i pursley belive these content are very help full to all who are facing these type problem.

love solution baba ji

view photos

ashwani2310 says:

V.C. Wald:

impossible for anyone (other than me) to right-click-save my images

I think that would depend on your own Account Settings under "Privacy and Permissions". I don't think right clicking saves someone's ARR Flickr photo.

view photos

twacar says:

V.C. Wald:

I would really like a way to make it impossible for anyone (other than me) to right-click-save my images or to link to them from another site without making them invisible to the public.

I have never been able to right-click to save someone's photos, at least not on Flickr, both before and after changing the settings in my account to prevent people from downloading my photos. And as you mentioned, there are other ways to copy other people's content, so how would preventing this one very specific way of doing it help you or anyone? Don't get me wrong, I'm with you, no one should download other people's content without their permission, but as you said, with screenshots and other technics, there's only so much Flickr can do. And I've been to other photo sharing websites, and from what I've experienced on other sites, Flickr is one of the better ones at protecting copyrighted material, it's not perfect, but better than even a major corporation like Facebook, which allows for every way to download other's content, including right-clicking.

view photos

BasketInside.com says:

Multi account login with different permission. Someone with only upload permission, other with edit permission, and only one that can delete all photos
Posted 6 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

twacar says:

Would like to add that I would like to see a greater investment of Flickr Code, I think it is vastly under utilized by Flickr and would be a great way to explain a lot of the behind the scene work it takes to operate a photo sharing website. It may also be a great place for members to share new ideas of what they would to see added, removed, or changed in some way to the website. Now granted it does demand some tech savviness by the ready, but I'm sure your capable staff could make some YouTube videos explaining the various concepts and link them at key points in the article/archives.

code.flickr.net/2017/01/

view photos

Joyce in the CactusPatch says:

Pictures from the Ghost Garden:My #1 wish for SmugMug's takeover is that they keep Flickr pretty much as-is, EXCEPT please get rid of the awkward Yahoo login, or at least make having a Yahoo account optional.

OMG yes I would love that too! And get rid of the scrolling pages loading. I hate having to wait for a bunch to load before it allows me to go to the last page in an album.

view photos

guidowerner says:

Now that Flickr has redesigned galleries I have on wish:

Make galleries searchable. E.g. Flickr could add a galleries-tab on result pages in addition to the existing Photos-, People-, and Groups-tabs. This would greatly improve the ability to find interesting galleries.

view photos

dajavous says:

Nowadays I interact mainly with and through flickr groups, 4 of which I admin, but have also created more than 150 galleries. About half of the galleries were colour and mood themed, the remainder were information-based, with large amounts of photo-related information and cross referencing. These represent lots of work and require the photo and my commentary to be visible simultaneously - they also work best with a thumbnail overview and a linear presentation of the photos.

My flickr photo work - uploading images, writing long descriptions, making comments on people's photos, creating group discussion threads etc is all done on a pc. Yes, I'm a detail person. I never use a mobile phone, but use a tablet heavily for viewing and monitoring pools, photostreams and threads at all times, but I seldom interact further than adding a fave on the tablet, because I find typing and copy/paste difficult on it.

The wall of images view is fine for a group or photostream overview, but detailed viewing and interaction for me requires viewing a single photo with accompanying description, and access to the larger images. I absolutely hate it when I go to flickr on the tablet and get stuck in the wall of images format of the app and I can't get to the detailed page. What I'm saying is please don't force tablet users into getting a superficial phone view of flickr - it is more akin to a small computer view.

view photos

East Texan the original says:

A way to make individual images available to Flickr members only.

view photos

kmacgray says:

dajavous:

I absolutely hate it when I go to flickr on the tablet and get stuck in the wall of images format of the app and I can't get to the detailed page. What I'm saying is please don't force tablet users into getting a superficial phone view of flickr - it is more akin to a small computer view.

There is no requirement to use the Flickr app on a tablet.

Visiting the Flickr website in a web browser on a tablet displays the exact same thing you see in a desktop web browser. I use an iPad Air 2 and the Safari browser almost exclusively at home.

view photos

dajavous says:

kmacgray

I realise that you aren't restricted to the app on a tablet - and I'm asking that access to the web browser remains for tablet. I also use an iPad Air 2 and browse with Chrome.

If you have the app installed, however, some browsers eg Safari takes me to the app in preference to the web browser. When that happens I get my tech-savvy husband to 'put it right' immediately.

view photos

blakley says:

One thing I'd really like is the ability to get an embeddable link to the slideshow view of an album.

I shoot music shows, and it's nice to be able to embed links to individual pictures and to the album itself, but it would be even better to embed a link to the slideshow.

view photos

blakley says:

While we're at it, it would also be awesome to modernize the Collections view. I think this is the only flickr feature that hasn't been updated from the old-style small photo thumbnails.

view photos

OK Gallery says:

Hi
Flickr Gallery Renewal Feedback
I think so far all the changes are good, but now I would like to reduce the old galleries in number from 266 to about 27.
In order for this to be carried out, as a reasonable operation, the galleries should have a tool for moving multiple files at the same time as
You have now made for the favorite photos. Can you make such a tool for gallery photos also it had been incredibly nice. Thank you very much for
the improvements you have already made.
Cheers
OK Gallery
OK Gallery edited this topic 6 months ago.

view photos

Bill Dahl 3 MILLION+ Views Club says:

Why can't you thank people who FAVE one of your photos by virtue of a reply feature - just like when someone comments on an image...This should be a common sense, easily implemented, development feature PRIORITY...PLEASE develop and implement this feature...it's a matter of common courtesy...

view photos

OK Gallery says:

Hi
Flickr Gallery Renewal Feedback II
Regarding the photo placement program.
After inserting 449 photos in the gallery, I would like to make an adjustment of their placement in the gallery.
However, this went so slowly that I failed to finish it.
Have previously had an album program where such an operation has gone much faster. It was then possible to move more photos at the same time.
So a personal point of view:
I think the galleries would have been much better to find out if they had been grouped alphabetically. Had not it been possible to get it?

view photos

kmacgray says:

OK Gallery:

This is the thread where staff are seeking feedback on galleries:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157670941074337/

view photos

KittyKat3756 says:

I would love it if Flickr offered Creative Commons 4 licenses instead of the very outdated v.2 licenses as there are so many benefits: wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/License%20Versions

view photos

The Kingwood Project says:

allow us to alphabetize all things: sets, albums, pictures etc.
Honestly this should been part of the interface a decade ago.
There have even been third party coders that have written stuff for flickr to do this. unfortunately their sites are no defunct. Flickr can pick up the ball and move it.

view photos

taxref (Read Profile) says:

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread already, but I would like to see limitations on the number of images one can fave within a certain time period.

The issue of "mass faving," has been discussed several times over the years. That is when some Flickr members use scripts to favorite hundreds, or even thousands, of photos at the rate of 1 every 3 or 4 seconds, I would hope SmugMug can do something to make mass faving much more difficult.

Edited for clarity.

view photos

Helena de Riquer says:

I would like to see (know) if a photographer follows me, on his Photostream page, without having to go to look at his profile (About).
That would be fantastic.

I hope I explained it well :)

view photos

Robert Barone says:

Please make it easier to find your photos that have been faved by someone else. If you hover over your photo, there is that X that allows you to remove the photo from their favorites page without blocking the person. Very good. But just finding the photo can sometimes be very difficult -- I know there are workarounds -- so I would appreciate a direct link, or a "show me my photos that are faved here" button. Thanks

view photos

mksfca says:

I would like to have the collections accessible to other viewers, as for example this one: www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/collections/72157624605730597/ (if it shows up in this message)

I also would like the old slide system created by attaching /view to an album's URL restored so that it can be sent to viewers as a slide show which would then allow for the titles and descriptions to appear within the slide show.

Example: www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/sets/72157623729292655/show

view photos

roadscum says:

Right, first up a confession; I haven't waded through all the previous posts here, so possibly this idea has already been mentioned. Just in case it hasn't, here is a thought i had while making a post on a group discussion page:

One thing i do wish they would reinstate is the 'New' page where we used to be able to view all the newly posted pictures from everyone. Admittedly with the amount of stuff being posted these days a continuously updated page would just be a blur of scrolling thumbnails but i doubt it would be impossible to provide a page that showed a frozen snapshot of what had been uploaded at that particular moment in time that could be updated by simply refreshing the page in your browser.

There you go, have a chew on that one...

view photos

ColetteSimonds says:

Robert Barone:

Please make it easier to find your photos that have been faved by someone else. If you hover over your photo, there is that X that allows you to remove the photo from their favorites page without blocking the person. Very good. But just finding the photo can sometimes be very difficult

I agree. I tried to remove my pics from people's favorite pages but it would take too long.

Also, we should have the option not to accept faves! We have the option to turn comments off, so why don't we have the option to turn off faves? Not everybody is excited by faves. I actually hate that concept. I would prefer to have control. Those who want their images to be faved can have them favorited. Those who don't should also have an option to turn faving off. It shouldn't be one way. Control should be left to the photographer.

view photos

Robert Barone says:

Would be very nice if in the changeover to Smugmug we got the chance to change our url addresses, or if that feature became possible with the new Flickr.
Posted 5 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

12bluros says:

I love flickr. I would like the basics on flickr to work correctly and consistently. I have a PRO account and recently renewed at the new higher PRO cost. However, Smugmug Flickr will lose me as a PRO Account member unless I can consistently see the views, favs, and the groups for an image. I am paying more now and now expect a better product and better support.

view photos

Yossef Steinberg says:

Hello all,
Well, there are about 800 replies here, so forgive me if the following topic has already been discussed. I would like very much, however, to hear your opinions about the following:

I frequently submit photos to administered groups. I know that while the photo is pending, I can see its status if I use the "Add to Group" key. The problem is that after all "pending" status flags disappear, I have no way to know whether a specific photo was rejected from a group (unless I take note of all the groups I tried to submit to, and then compare the lists. But this is very tedious). I would like to have this option, in order to avoid sending a photo again to a group from which it was already rejected. In most administered groups, there is a warning that group members who do so will be banned.

view photos

aussiejeff says:

Re: The annoying spam popup feature "Never Miss A Post.. etc"
(originally posted here - www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157702170942795/)

Do Flickr's new owners really wish to carry on annoying one of their most supportive user bases of this once-great service (ie: paying Pro Members who's main love is to share private family images with family or friends) by obstinately retaining this introduced obtrusive pop-up rubbish - something that now gets shoved in the faces of all my family & friends that I have invited by e-mail to view subjective private albums I had created for them & them alone to view - each & every page they open or scroll through?

No wonder my family & friends album viewing stats have plummeted over the past few years! Yesterday I posted an e-mail link to one of the private family album to my alternative e-mail account just to check the current status quo as a non-logged in invited guest viewer and *hey presto*.... every damn page I go to gets the pop-up. Every scroll down a page gets the pop-up. Jesus wept....

So, I am imploring you SmugMug as the new owners.... please, can you at least give the *option* for invited Family & Friends to NOT have to incessantly close THAT DAMNED POPUP over & over again, every time they wish to scroll down an invited album page or every time they open a new page in an invited private album that I share with them? Surely just ONCE whenever the link is opened is enough? With less annoyance to my guests, they are likely to access the album link more often (therefore still guaranteeing they see that popup each time..) but surely will be less annoying to them than at present? And no, they most certainly do NOT wish to have to create a Flickr account to get around this issue...

Feel free to retain the pop feature if you like for public freebie access, but this popup hell really must be toned right down for any Family & Friends album invites from Pro accounts - I can assure you, my significantly declining Family & Friends Albums view stats & negative feedback from said family & friends don't lie - this significant annoyance IS hurting your public image as a viable photo album sharing option!

Over to you...

JeffC

view photos

zeity121 says:

pamelaadam:

I had a tree autotagged as a giraffee!!

view photos

Jim Morefield says:

Please create an option to download one's photo and account data only (the .json files), without including the actual image files.

My images are backed up to the hilt, no need to ever download those. But a lot of cumulative time and effort has gone into organizing, tagging, and describing the images, and I like to periodically download all those "metadata" for safekeeping.

No need to burden servers with zipping up thousands of jpegs when all that is wanted is the relatively small amount of metadata.

Thank you for considering...

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads says:

aussiejeff:

So, I am imploring you SmugMug as the new owners.... please, can you at least give the *option* for invited Family & Friends to NOT have to incessantly close THAT DAMNED POPUP over & over again, every time they wish to scroll down an invited album page or every time they open a new page in an invited private album that I share with them?

Thanks, this was a great suggestion. We just killed this "feature." Signed-out visitors won't receive that nag anymore. In the future, if we encourage signed-out visitors to sign in, we'll be sure to do it in a gentler, more respectful manner that doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the photos they've come to view.

We appreciate and continue to review all the suggestions folks are posting here. This was one we were able to move quickly on, so we pounced. Please keep the feedback coming -- we are listening!

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

adstads:

Thank you. That move will be chearished..

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

adstads:

Thanks, this was a great suggestion. We just killed this "feature." Signed-out visitors won't receive that nag anymore.

Oh thanks a lot. That has been annoying visitors in a long time, even when visiting photostreams from Pro users.
Thanks!

PS. And I'm sure Flickr looks more attractive for potential new users without that "feature"...
Stig Nygaard edited this topic 5 months ago.

view photos

aussiejeff says:

adstads:

Great response time, I'm impressed! :o)

I'm sure a great many people will ultimately benefit from this small change to the viewing function, especially so for the larger albums with many images to scroll through & select from. Reducing the unnecessary multiple mouse clicks & time waste-age that was previously involved for guests in closing the nag popup over & over again after being invited to view large albums is surely a great way to improve Flickr's functional image!

I hope others will do as I am now going to do & notify their erstwhile frustrated guests that the viewing experience at Flickr has just improved out of sight ;-)

Thank you, Flickr Staff.

view photos

Doctor Casino says:

Oh, thank you so much for killing that one off! I have a lot of family-and-friend visitors who are never going to get an account at any photo-sharing website, so this really removes an obstacle to them (hopefully) enjoying my photos.

view photos

Mike Slade. says:

Wish list for Flickr? How about get the nonsensical stats sorted out they are nowhere near being correct, I might have been tempted to pay for pro again this year but the crap stats and the price hike makes it a no no.

view photos

twacar says:

I would like to add that when we click on the edit function on our Photostream, you could add tags too, it would be so much easier...

view photos

andyhutchcraft says:

aerozen:

Please bring back our site like it was before Yahoo destroyed it in 2013. Thanks in advance.

x 1,000,000

view photos

kmacgray says:

andyhutchcraft:

That's never going to happen and staff have said so. 😃

(I'm not opposed to a sensible redesign though.)

view photos

Pale Male says:

I would like to have a contact person in the german forum

view photos

Lensjoy says:

First of all, thanks again to the Flickr staff for killing the "never miss a post" nagging popup. Great move! I only learnt about this change today, quite by accident. So here's my suggestion--start two permanent forum threads where only Flickr staff members can post. In one, you would inform us about the latest developments on the site. In another one, the staff (Don MacAskill himself?) would comment on some of the suggestions made by us here, perhaps on a bi-weekly or monthly basis?

view photos

kmacgray says:

Lensjoy:

I would also like to see some sort of progress updates. Details are not required or expected, just a general "hey we are still working on things" type post.

I suspect this would be a tough one at the moment, as all hands continue to be on deck to free us from the shackles of Yahoo, and to move all of our stuff to new data centers, which is a monumental task.

Staff actually did do something like this a few years ago, where they provided weekly updates regarding member feedback and suggestions. Unfortunately, it only lasted a few weeks.

view photos

Jeff Lack Wildlife&Nature says:

How about having Staff work weekends to respond to issues that always occur on Weekends!!!!!!

view photos

Jeff Lack Wildlife&Nature says:

adstads:

(701 to 800 of 1,416 replies in Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads