Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

Thank you Flickr tech people!
Latest: 25 minutes ago
[investigating, staff reply] Stats, Statistics, Lost Views!
Latest: 28 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Scheduled downtime on May 22, plus more updates on speed & stability
Latest: 33 minutes ago
[FIXING – FIND PHIL!] Anyone else see part of a moving face with a mustache?
Latest: 40 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Flickr downtime on May 22 and site issues since then. (PLEASE REPLY HERE)
Latest: 46 minutes ago
[Official Thread] A new way to stay informed about site performance issues.
Latest: 84 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 6 hours ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 7 hours ago

Current Discussion

not same result in "recent activity" and the picture when opened
Latest: 12 minutes ago
[BUG] Search does not show my recent uploads
Latest: 20 minutes ago
Tags newly added to pictures don't work in searches
Latest: 63 minutes ago
Which parts of Flickr don't work properly... please add
Latest: 66 minutes ago
Unable to change group cover photo
Latest: 2 hours ago
stats
Download to phone issues
Fave/Comment buttons missing on home page
One fave missing in every photo
Latest: 3 hours ago
Uploaded photos not appearing in anywhere on my account
Latest: 3 hours ago
Private link not working and can't report it.
Latest: 4 hours ago
Now that we're up and running, can we lose the jokey stuff?
Latest: 4 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr

Kelly Cheng says:

Hi SmugMug

Your CEO Don McAskill said that he would like to collect feedback from users before making any decisions to Flickr. Flickr has been the platform to share and manage my photos since 2005 and I am still in touch with friends made through Flickr. So here are my wish list :)

1. Make the community engaging again

2. Keep the unlimited Pro storage (and price)

3. Let us to leverage on SmugMug platform to sell prints for selected photos or when someone shows interest, eg. allow the file for print order

4. Let us mark/flag selected photos to be showcased as a portfolio website of our own through templates, ie. we do not need to upload the photos again, with customised URL

5. Drop the Yahoo! log in credential

6. Fix the Explore

More later :)

Best,
Kelly
Posted at 3:05AM, 25 April 2018 PDT ( permalink )

(1401 to 1500 of 1536 replies in Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr)
view photos

simonov says:

I wonder if there is any way to get a consensus over which is preferred by most Flickr users: the old "photos with context" formats (where the photo titles, dates, captions, etc, were much more visible than they are now); or the post-2013 "Instagram Heavy" layout where you actually have to hunt around for the accompanying text.

I know I preferred the former, but then I realize I'm different. I don't even mind movie subtitles.
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

kmacgray says:

simonov:

I also prefer the former. I think seeing some information along with the image helps to provide more context, and is more engaging than a wall of photos. I don't have the usage data obviously, but in my opinion, I think just having an image with the title and such hidden creates less incentive to click through.

Also, the information that appears when hovering over an image in the photostream in a desktop browser doesn't happen on touch-based devices like tablets and phones. That's a UI deficiency if you ask me.

I think the current design of the photostream edit view is a good direction as far as starting to make some of that information visible again:

www.flickr.com/photos/me/edit

view photos

fulvue says:

Preferred the older format. I have mentioned in another thread how frustrating it is watching the revolving images, which take time to load, before being able to log in. It seems aimed at non-members instead of the Flickr community.

view photos

Paul's World Tour says:

Kelly Cheng:

1. Remove Flickr settings non working links like: "You can upload photos or video straight to your blog via email too?" this links go an OOPs page??? I'm sure there are more non-working links and meaningless text on the “settings section”. If uploading photos via email is not an option now remove any ann all text about this function.

2. These references about non-yahoo emails do not explain why this is important for your customers. Amazon does not care about my email "type", why should Flickr. I have helped friends setup Flickr accounts using Gmail accounts. Will Flickr’s existing customers have to switch login email address? This is very confusing.

3. When Flickr adds a new feature like 10 minute videos, EMAIL your customers of this enhanced feature, instead of having to watch your Q&A page.

4. The Flickr statement at www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157690254850423/ says that All public Creative Commons works on Flickr are now protected from deletion. Therefore why is Flickr deleting photos from non-Pro accounts with more than 1000 photo? Logic is missing.

5. In summary, communicate to your customer like customers.

view photos

Jan.Timmons says:

simonov:

I also prefer the former “photos with context”. The more information, the better, in my opinion.

view photos

RanaMuck says:

I want more options for permission groups than friends and family. I want to be able to make custom groups ... For example different family groups, different sets of work collegues, different sets of clubs, different school groups.

view photos

Bob Gundersen says:

Hey - how about this one? Get videos to play again on the platform.

view photos

Paul's World Tour says:

Kelly Cheng:

Hi
Provide a search of albums by name on the www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets page.
Sometimes I need to place the same album in different collections.
For example I have a home page collection of zoo photos from 7 zoos around the world. I would like to also have these zoo albums in the county or state collection.
It is not easy to search through 600 albums on the about page.

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

Paul's World Tour:

Kelly Cheng:

Hi
Provide a search of albums by name on the www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets page.

You are addressing Kelly Cheng, however, she is not staff but a Flickr member like you and I - she cannot "provide" anything for you or anyone else, on Flickr.

Staff just picked up her wish list and pinned it to the Hot Topic section.
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Seclusive Nature says:

simonov:

I also prefer the former.

view photos

micael18 says:

Bob Gundersen:

"Hey - how about this one? Get videos to play again on the platform."

Yours, other users, and my video are playing just fine online.

Google Chrome
Windows 7
Denmark

view photos

Bob Gundersen says:

micael18:
Really? How about flic.kr/p/2dJPGWD or flic.kr/p/2e2KYXS or flic.kr/p/2f42kuh or flic.kr/p/SZudEQ.....I could go on and on. Any video uploaded since about 3/6/2019 is not functioning, with no explanation since 3/10. See www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157707238843224/page6/ for the details. SmugMug needs to address the basics before these wishes get attention.

view photos

micael18 says:

Bob Gundersen:

Okay... So is it only older videos that works for me. Videos, that has been here for a long time. But these ha problems earlier, where it wasn't possible to play or download them.

view photos

Travis Estell says:

Is there any chance Flickr could update the sizes associated with the "small/medium/large" picker in the Advanced Search? Currently medium is 800px and large is 1024px. On a relatively modern display, 1024px wide is not that "large." (I'm currently looking at a five year old iMac with a 5120×2880 resolution.) I would suggest M = 1024px, L = 2048px, and maybe add an XL = 4096px option for when we want to see truly high resolution, screen-filling images.

view photos

Dick Shattuck says:

How about a way to share directly from flickr to SmugMug, same as we can to Facebook, Twitter and others? The present import to SmugMug is almost worthless (difficult to find photos more than a few deep into Photostream & can only import one at a time, not entire albums or portions thereof), although a good feature of that is at least it includes the title and description.

view photos

Tomas Ove Johansson says:

abstractartangel77:

I wish that Flickr would sort out these numerous problems once and for all.
Comments won't post, pages won't load, unable to see invites that have been given to me, pages constantly freeze. And I'm paying for this!

When my broadband goes down, if it's for more than a day by broadband provider takes money off my next Direct Debit and reduces the monthly fee. The same if my mobile phone isn't working due to the provider's problems. They, at least, don't expect us to be paying for a service when that service is absent or not fit for purpose.

I got that problem too when I was on a too slow connection. Same thing happens with Facebook. It takes forever to load. Fiber-optic 1200mb/s solves it all. But you have to be careful still.

view photos

nolehace says:

...make the uploadr work correctly & consistently...why is this so difficult when it's so important to using flickr?...

view photos

Denish C says:

STATS: As a Pro member I would like to see stats available for each of our albums separately.

view photos

micael18 says:

Make it easier to use the forum - it feels like we need to be programmers! For example if we want to insert a GIF-file or image.

And if we want to format the post. I don't think it's easy, as it is now.

I mean, a new editor could be something like this:

forum-editor by micael18

micael18 edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

♡Aijo♡ says:

Consistent layout for uploadr, collections, and batch processes that matches the design of the site. These still have the old designs from years ago. Maybe a cleaner layout for the albums. Thank you for all of your hard work. I know these fixes and updates take time to get just right.

view photos

archer1960 says:

I'd really like to create an album BEFORE uploading any pictures that will go into it. And then allow me to directly upload all 500 pics that will go into it, rather than needing to upload pics, and then move them into the album in a second step.

view photos

kmacgray says:

archer1960:

You can create an album at the same time you upload your photos using the web uploader. Then you can add the photos to it all in one step.

Since photos don't get uploaded to albums, and since albums don't contain actual photos, and since photos don't get moved or copied to albums, it's impossible for an empty album to exist.

view photos

Craig Knapp Photographer says:

March 24, 2019

Craig Knapp (a paid user since about 2009) wish list for FLICKR.

1. When the FLICKER website uploader (cloud with up-arrow icon) encounters an upload error, PLEASE LIST THE FILE NAMES which cannot be loaded, this would allow the user to make a wise choice about disregarding, then, perhaps re-saving files on the hard drive with a different file size or other changed attribute, in order to attempt to upload ONLY the affected files, rather than attempting to re-upload everything in order to avoid duplicate file uploads.

2. Enable some type of duplicate file name detection to prevent accidental re-upload of already uploaded images. This is usually related to #1 above, when files fail to upload and we attempt to re-upload everything because FLICKER fails to report the filenames which cannot be uploaded. If FLICKER could be set to ignore duplicate file names, then when the user attempts to re-upload images due to an upload error, only the non-uploaded files would be accepted. This is 2019...who has duplicate file names anywhere on their computer?

3. Intuitive design: When the account holder selects ALBUMS, there should be an option to "rearrange album order". Currently the user must select YOU, then "ORGANIZER"...organize what exactly?...not very intuitive.

Craig Knapp

view photos

kmacgray:

Seems it would make sense to create an album first, to help reduce upload errors.

The logic is sound, we have to create a sub-directory (this 57 year-old who learned Dbase II on DOS 4.0 does not acknowledge the term "folder") before placing images on a hard drive (and yes Virginia, if someone fails to create a sub-directory for photos or data, the C: drive is a sub-directory of the hard drive!!! I win again for being right). Also, the memory cards in our cameras use sub-directories to store images.

As you can see, NOT creating an ALBUM first is actually the opposite all other data is created and stored by users...create a destination, copy/paste/move data into the destination (a sub-directory for example.

Craig Knapp
Paid FLICKR user since 2009.

view photos

archer1960:

24MAR2019
We have to create sub-directories on hard drives before storing data, and yes, even the root of C:\ is a sub-directory of the hard drive. Even our camera memory cards use sub-directories. You cannot file a bill until you acquire a desk, drawers, and folders.

NOT creating an ALBUM in FLICKR as a storage destination before attempting to place data somewhere, is actually backwards compared to all other computer data storage methodologies.

Craig Knapp

view photos

kmacgray says:

Craig Knapp Photographer:

But Flickr isn't analagous to a desktop operating system with directories.

Albums also don't contain actual photos like a directory contains actual files.

view photos

Craig Knapp Photographer:

Er... you forgot to add that bit to conclude this post:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157666189625037/page15/...

;-)

view photos

Chung Chu says:

Some feature requests for Flickr:

1) Gigapixel images support allowing us to zoom all the way in on super large photos. Pick up where the Gigapan company has mostly "abandoned."

2) Google VR Photo support. Please support the VR.jpg format. Google photos is terrible for sharing and displaying photos. Flickr already has VR support via the Samsung VR? Make it available for other viewers. Might as well add short 360 video support too.

3) The Flickr app should incorporate VR support for everyone? Give us the 21st Century ViewMaster please for displaying 2D, 3D stereo and VR photos.

4) Audio annotations? I would love to see a way to add a quick audio clip. Or allow Soundcloud player box below the photo?

view photos

THE Holy Hand Grenade! says:

1) Keep things consistent within a specified area. For example, in the old version of the "groups" menu, some groups would disappear if you deleted the photo from them, while others would stay on the menu...

2) allow the main photo page behind the "Groups" menu to move again, like it did before the change...

3) If you decide to keep the older version (the "checkerboard"...) of the groups, make it a semi-permanent, instead of reverting every day (or worse...) to the newer version... (which this poster does not like or EVER use...

view photos

Lensjoy says:

Please, improve management of groups:
1) Allow us to organise groups to which we belong into subcategories. I'd love to be able to put my groups into "albums" related to "black and white", "portraits" and so on.
2) Make it possible to order (filtrate) groups to which we belong by the number of members, photos, and topics. Currently, we can only order them by "latest photo" and "latest post": www.flickr.com/groups/
3) Automatically mark photos as reject by a particular group-- this should only be visible to logged-in users when they manage their groups. Why? In the case of some groups, a newly submitted photo is waiting in a queue for several days before it is either approved or rejected by the admin.If it is rejected, I may unintentionally resubmit it some time later because I no longer remember my previous submission.

view photos

simonov says:

kmacgray:

I also prefer the former. I think seeing some information along with the image helps to provide more context, and is more engaging than a wall of photos.

But I wonder how widespread that feeling really is.

I've been seeing so many really interesting photos on Flickr in the least few years where I wanted to know what was going on. Where was the photo taken? What was the story behind the photo? But no context is given. A lot of these are posted to many groups, or they are in Explore, so they have lots of views and often have many comments. But the comments are usually variations of "Great capture!" instead of asking about the story behind the photo.

So not only are many Flickr photographers uninterested in providing more textual context with their photos, apparently a hell of a lot of users don't care, either.

But maybe that just reflects the "pretty pictures" subset of Flickr users.

view photos

Antony Matthews says:

Unlimited pictures is something that so many other services are capable of doing, and it seems like a massive step backwards for Flickr. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that having a limited number of uploads is heavily discouraging and has me wanting to just stop posting here and use those alternatives that do offer such a basic feature.

view photos

kmacgray says:

simonov:

I guess by context I mean a title that's actually visible, along with some info on how many views and likes it has. I'm not particularly interested in seeing a snippet of the description.

However, I do agree with your point, and think it's part of an overall downward trend of less and less engagement.

view photos

Ales.Ch says:

Free accounts have a Give Pro icon so everyone can make a Pro account gift to a free account member.
But if we want to make a gift to a Pro account member we can't see any icon.

Please add Give Pro icon to Pro accounts. Or better yet Give Pro Again icon.

p.s. for helpers: I need no help in wish list tread

view photos

ShortShot says:

+1 to the Google Maps request. The current map is useless due to its low resolution and bad usability.

Also +1 to the direct URL for slideshows request.

And please add a SSO option so we can use our Google or FB accounts to login optionally (not a mandatory requirement, just an additional option).

view photos

Paul's World Tour says:

On the new album & collections page at www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets
Now albums are in order of creation date.

I have 600+ albums and sometimes I add old albums to new collections in order to tell a complete photo story.

Please add a "alphabetic order sort" option in order to locate older albums.
Now find old albums is also impossible.

view photos

Pictures from the Ghost Garden says:

Ref: Gift of Pro

Please enable either or both of the following:

A) A complete opt out for those who do not want to be given such a gift

B) The ability to decline a gift

view photos

Ales.Ch says:

+ for

A) A complete opt out for those who do not want to be given such a gift

B) The ability to decline a gift

view photos

Doctor Casino says:

Coming up on the one-year anniversary of this thread. I still have high hopes....

view photos

kmacgray says:

Pictures from the Ghost Garden:
Ales.Ch:

A complete opt out for those who do not want to be given such a gift

"We have no plans to remove the Gift button any time soon."

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157677450035697/7215767...

view photos

Paul's World Tour says:

What is this GIFT that people are asking about???

To me Flickr is a GIFT from the Googles, Apples and Amazons of the world who think they own us and ask us to pay for storage.
No other online photo storage and display system has the features and functions like Flickr to create albums, organize albums into collections and organize collections into collection for a family tree; like display of photos.

Flickr's family tree like display system can be used to create a website like screens with a header photo and text and top level collections linked to other collection or album pages.
I organized this Flickr collection by years:
www.flickr.com/photos/muilr/collections

My personal Flickr collection is organized by places with 600 album pages. Ask a website designer the price for a website with 600 pages. I know the answer because I was in the web site design business.

In addition, Flickr has pledged to not remove photos licensed as Creative Commons and all my photos are licensed CC BY-NC-ND.
This is great gift.

view photos

Paul's World Tour:

+ a fair number of pluses.

view photos

Ales.Ch says:

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito:

What exactly are you asking for?

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

If members don't want to receive a gift of Pro thats been given..

(1) An opt out for those who do not want to be given such a gift from strangers. Some of us were brought up not to take sweets from strangers..

(2) The ability to decline a gift. This will save members time from having to complain to support for not being given the option to decline if they don't want to receive the given Pro gift..

This is common courtesy to provide such options..

view photos

Ales.Ch says:

What happens when we get so called gift? Do we receive a notification or we just wake up one day with Pro icon? Do we know who gives us Pro so we we could give them back?
Again... Why Pro users don't have that icon? Why can't we prolong their being Pro?

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel:

This is common courtesy to provide such options..

Staff Quote:

"We'll add more options in the future, but this is the most common by far, so we wanted to get it out to users as soon as possible."

view photos

Ales.Ch:

Do we receive a notification or we just wake up one day with Pro icon? Do we know who gives us Pro so we we could give them back?

Staff quote:

"The gift-giver receives an email receipt at the address they specify, and the receiver receives an email confirming the gift and including a note from the giver. You can choose to include your name or make the gift anonymous."

view photos

Ales.Ch says:

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito:

Thank You!

view photos

Ales.Ch:

What exactly are you asking for?

I am assuming you are genuinely interested in my opinion in regard to the issue of the Give Pro icon on the Free accounts. At least I hope so, and if not, then this would be a case of mislaid confidence on my part.

I could answer your question in detail but I fear that my response would trigger yet another unstoppable avalanche of reactions and would thus take this thread off the rails as well.
So I shall restrict myself to the following statement: I do not adhere to any of the mentioned objections, listed in two heated threads, against the Give Pro icon on the Free accounts, and neither do I have objections to an added option to decline, which I think is reasonable. I appreciate it greatly that Flickr listened to the many members who asked to re-instate the good old Gift of Pro. It shows that Flickr actually is mindful of its members. Then too the return of the Gift of Pro links us to the old Flickr which I joined back in 2007 and which has become such a huge part of my life.

I would like to leave it at this.

(Oh by the way, should you happen to see my picture wearing a hat on a wall in your hometown, with the notice: give this lady 50 dollars, then by all means leave the picture sitting there, the money will come in handy for an animal welfare organization which I support.)

edited for style and grammar
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

gshowman says:

Feature request: please give us the ability to set a default for how albums are sorted, and for this to persist/survive the uploading of new photos. So that, for instance, I can upload photos every few days to an album, and have the freshest content always be at the front without having to go into Organizr every single time.

It has always blown my mind that this was never an option in Flickr.

Also, in the flickr apps for iPhone and Android, please create an option for a streamlined upload process, that can skip the prompt for styling the photo, and just send the photo directly to a specific album and be done. Perhaps it's a question of being able to pre-set the options for all photos uploaded from the app (and give an option to change them also, of course). As it is, I have to hit three buttons to get my photo up to flickr, and that feels SUPER CLUNKY. I just want to put it in an album, make it private, and be done -- would love a pre-set. Also, putting the 'next' button on the top right of a modern phone screen is just nuts (Android app). Everything on the phone needs to be streamlined and made fast and simple, with deep options only for those who need them.

I use flickr out of love for the concept of a paid service that is devoted to photos. I hope Smugmug can finally implement some basic features like the pre-sorting I mention above, that users have been hoping for for about 8 years now...

view photos

Chester Bullock says:

I would like to see the Camera Finder fixed so I can find pictures by camera easier. I remember I used to be able to click on my camera type in the exif info and be taken to the top and most recent pics from that camera. Would make it huge for researching new models I am thinking of buying. I was hoping to do this before my last drone purchase, and came away horribly disappointed.

view photos

East Texan the original says:

simonov:

I wonder if there is any way to get a consensus over which is preferred by most Flickr users: the old "photos with context" formats (where the photo titles, dates, captions, etc, were much more visible than they are now); or the post-2013 "Instagram Heavy" layout where you actually have to hunt around for the accompanying text.

Former

view photos

simonov:

The old "photos with context" etc.

Don't really dig "wall-to-wall" photos. I want this back:

www.flickr.com/photos_user.gne?path=mabelia&nsid=&amp...

view photos

micael18 says:

Merging accounts isn't possible currently.......

But if it's going to be possible, it could be fine if free accounts then will have space for 2.000 pictures/videos instead of only 1.000. And without having to go through the CAPTCHA!

And as a limit, if having 3 or more accounts, these can't be merged.

But, get all the other problems solved first, so an eventually coming merging wil go unproblematic! :-)

view photos

Photos By Dlee says:

This may have been mentioned already but I think it would be good if Groups could recognize EXIF data.

I am Admin on a group and always have to remove photos that are taken with unrelated gear so it would be amazing if the groups could detect the EXIF and block images that aren't taken with the particular gear.

view photos

mlfot says:

I would really like a replacement for (or continuation of) the tag-based slideshows - specifically within group-pools. The option in the top-right corner of this page.:

www.flickr.com/groups/twchineserestaurantsdp/pool/tags/englandWME
In the URL you could just add /show/

I'm not the first one who asked for this, I noticed.
It's the old Flash-slideshow that is apparently dying, and I use it a lot.

view photos

Seclusive Nature says:

I would love to see a "Random" post option on everyone's profiles (you click on it and it shows you a random post from that person's photos). Similar to what you can use on Tumblr & Wordpress.

view photos

Barri Olson says:

I would like to see a reliable group pool slideshow. I know about the "show" command...but it stops, and is stopped right now on my computers (various browsers). It is working though 'the Inflickr' app on my mobile things.I;ve had nothing but troubles with this on my computers (the 'show' command for group pools) since, sometimes working great, sometimes not at all, dependent on a soon to be phased out Adobe flash, which is constantly updated for security flaws. It would be nice to have a slideshow that has a few features to see what people in the groups I belong to are doing, or what a group is all about. I find just watching a group slideshow much more enjoyable than watching sitcoms or most television shows. A slideshow that works with a not almost "secret" command.

view photos

Barri Olson says:

mlfot:

I most certainly agree, and didn't see your post when posting farther down. I also use the group slideshow a lot, finding it very interesting.

view photos

LisaM in NYC~ says:

Hey - it looks like those pesky auto tags are finally gone, woo hoo, thank you Flickr!! :)

view photos

Lucky Grandpa says:

I would really value the ability to re-upload videos so I can replace a video with faulty editing without loosing its viewer stats.

You can do this on Vimeo, which also uses AWS so hopefully we will be able to do the same on Flickr?

view photos

Kelson says:

In case it hasn't been mentioned before, I'd like to be able to search/sort my own photos by camera, including the Organizer. I've used a lot of different cameras over the years I've been on Flickr. (Camera Finder-style stats on my own photos would be nice too, but that's more a matter of curiosity).

view photos

CJ Madson says:

A modest request for:

1) More responsive pages : Flickr has been slow and inconsistent for several months, sometimes just having delays and other times saying the requested function couldn't be performed.

2) Uploadr handling quoted strings 100% of the time : Some of my saved tags are handled just fine when I copy & paste them into Uploader, even with quoted strings of multiple words, and other times they get added as individual words. Then I have to use the lame mouseover and "Delete" method for each incorrectly parsed word.

3) A clear definition of exactly what each Stats item means -- including all combinations of clicks and visits across the photostream, albums, images, and what a huge number in the Flickr :: Mobile :: ios bucket means.

4) Referrer links that I can use to figure out where visitors are coming from and the path they took through my photostream.

5) A way to use Organizr to remove (not just add) specific tags.

6) A way to use Organizr to search for the number of images without a particular tag.

7) Tag searching from the main page(s) instead of needing Organizr. (I modify the URL string but that's a workaround.)

(I've been here for a long time and Flickr is still easier to use than most other sites, so this is more of a wish list than a PITA -- Please Fix list.)

view photos

Linda DV (away) says:

My wish would be to actively look for abandoned groups and replace the admins who left their groups.
Abandoned groups are dump sites for all sorts of irrelevant content.
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

D20 ROC says:

I would like to be able to upload multiple images as one post, similar to Instagram, so for example, a mini series of related images that could be scrolled through, but wouldn't clog up my stream with lots of similar images.
D20 ROC edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

German Vogel says:

My wish, at least for paying users:

# Statistics of favorited photos, so users are aware of what equipment and camera settings capture the kind of photography they most enjoy and at which locations.

view photos

redstreaker says:

I would like to see a single click button so I can reset a photos upload date and time to the current date and time.

I have been using the auto-uploader to upload thousands of photos. At some later stage i search through my photos to decide which ones to make public, but if I don't reset the upload date/ time, the photos don't appear in the public feed so I have to manually change the month, date, hour, minute, click OK to get them to so. It would be so much easier if we had a button called "set to current date and time"
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Ales.Ch says:

Why are these weird requirements for a new password? Let us ouselves choose if we want special symbols, upper and lower keys etc.

view photos

Jan McG, I capture what I see says:

For the past few days my husband and I are both having problems mapping our images on our Pro Flickr sites - help required - thanks

view photos

Linda DV (away) says:

Give more access to group structure and features to moderators. Right now a lot of group admins have to promote their mods because they see no other way . Admins cannot be around 24/7. If group moderators were given more access this would not be necessary . And in that case if the mods abuse their privileges they can be demoted by the admin .

Give them an moderator inviter like the Admin inviter.
Possibility to edit the front-page if necessary

view photos

Ian Cundell says:

simonov:

With context, every time.

view photos

ashwani2310 says:

This has to do with the Flickr App for iOS.

The old facilitation of "Manage Accounts" has been removed.

Its reintroduction would be a great convenience.

This is a continuation of a discussion elsewhere www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157707983951054/7215770...

view photos

wiccked says:

I sadly (but thankfully!) downloaded all of my thousands of Flickr photos, and now only have the free 1000. I would love to be able to re-upload them. They are downloaded in a folder per album, and have the json files. I really miss being able to find my photos on Flickr!
Any chance of this happening

view photos

kmacgray says:

wiccked:

Your question isn't quite clear, but you will need to purchase a pro account if you wish to upload more than 1,000 photos.

view photos

Chung Chu says:

Another request: Higher Quality Full Screen Display of Equirectangular Spherical Panoramas. I'm happy Flickr supports spherical panos, but there is bad blending issue that currently exist at the zenith and nadir. Compared to a service like Roundme.com, the panos just look fuzzy and poor on Flickr. Please also add spherical pano display on the mobile app.
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

micael18 says:

wiccked:

You could go through all your pictures, and remove blurred and other bad pictures, and pictures that look like each other, so you ONLY has your best shots here.

This is what many users could do.

view photos

Bruce Adler says:

Please add back the ability to switch between accounts that had been previously available on the (android version) of the Flickr app.
The ability to do this seamlessly was an impot factor in my upgrading three additional accounts to "pro"
Having to sign in and out of an account each time is a major inconvenience which I hop staff will address..
Thanks

view photos

Ian Cundell says:

One item for me: give every page (photostream, albums, the lot) a check box like on Camera Roll to show views and likes without having to hover/ roll over the images AND do the same for mobile versions of the browser and in the apps, where hover doesn’t work anyway.

Do not force me to “interact” in the name of driving clicks, but let me see useful information at a glance.

view photos

micael18 says:

Ian Cundell:

Why? I only hover over pictures/ albums for clicking on them, for looking at them, and eventuakky download if possible, and wanting. That's only other users pictures I do that, because my own pictures, I don't look at on Flickr... Them, I only look at from my harddisk.

view photos

micael18 says:

Ales.Ch:

"Why Pro users don't have that icon? Why can't we prolong their being Pro?"

Why should it be possible to give a Pro-member a Pro-gift? If they go Free, it could be because they don't want to pay anymore, and then has downloaded all their pictures / videos.

Does going Free, mean, the pictures over 1.000 will be deleted immediately, from day one??

If the going Free was caused by a bug on Flickr, the Give Pro-gift will be there and then you can give Pro - we have sometimes seen that: Free accounts want to go Pro, but it don't work, and then it DOES work, but some days later, they are AGAIN only a Free account.
micael18 edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

kmacgray says:

micael18:

Why?

Because valuable context is lost with just a wall of photos approach. I believe that if you see some bits of the associated content that goes along with an image, like title, likes and such, that would increase user engagement.

Plus getting rid of the overlay slims down page size, making it load faster. Right now, Flickr pushes a lot of unnecessary code to the browser for nothing other than cosmetic reasons. There's no design reason to have that information hidden. It's not solving any problem. It's simply done for the sake of appearance.

Plus, as noted above, the overlay doesn't work on mobile.

Also, hover effects don't make for a great user experience:
adamsilver.io/articles/hover-menus-are-problematic/

It's time to kill off justified view. It was the result of a hail mary attempt by Yahoo to reboot things and we are well past that now.
kmacgray edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

Ales.Ch says:

micael18:

Why?

Because it is wish list. I may want to give Pro mr.kmacgray though he might not want it. And why not?

view photos

Ian Cundell says:

micael18:

Because things that require multiple avoidable actions in order to see them are a poor user experience.

view photos

Ian Cundell says:

Passing thought: Smart Albums (all my shots with particular camera or lens, say)

Say "Where camera contains 'iphone'" (or 400D or 5D etc etc)
or "lens contains 'Sigma'" (or 16-35mm or f2.8 etc etc)
or "Tag contains 'blossom'" etc etc

or whatever.

view photos

simonov says:

Ian Cundell:

Do not force me to “interact” in the name of driving clicks, but let me see useful information at a glance.

I don't think anyone was really trying to drive clicks when the site went all non-contextual in 2013. It was a matter of trying to be more like Instagram (and getting a piece of that sweet, sweet ADD Instagram demographic).

view photos

Ian Cundell says:

simonov:

I get that, but in the end it is all about driving clicks... and even Insta has the caption/ heart thingy visible at a glance....

view photos

simonov says:

Ian Cundell:

in the end it is all about driving clicks

Only on an advertising-supported site. And Flickr is not one of those.

view photos

Ian Cundell says:

simonov:

But the interface in place is a hangover from when "engagement" (read, clicks) was the thing - and it needs to go.

view photos

redstreaker says:

Bruce Adler:

I agree

view photos

Ian Cundell says:

Another:

Get the mobile web version and the app on iOS to work together more intelligently. If I want to use the app you can tell by the fact that I have opened the app, if I want to use the website (because it has access to things the app doesn't) you can tell by the fact that I am using Safari.

So stop assuming that if I have logged into Flickr in Safari I want to immediately get pushed to the app.

Just. Stop. It.

Also, get the mobile Safari version working as consistently as the desktop version.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Please can we have a tool to premanently block the increasing number of members with photo time frames that keep coming up in searches with 100s of 1000s of fixed security camera webcam images.
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

kmacgray says:

Ian Cundell:

So stop assuming that if I have logged into Flickr in Safari I want to immediately get pushed to the app.

You can control this.

While in Safari, long press on any link on the Flickr website and then tap "open in another tab". From that point forward, any links you click on the Flickr website will stay on the website and won't be kicked over to the app.

view photos

Ian Cundell says:

kmacgray:

The problem is it pushing me the app immediately and having to app switch back.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Ian Cundell:

Are you actually using the app for anything?

view photos

Ian Cundell says:

kmacgray:

Yes, I use it pretty well every day and it is better optimised for touch than the website. But it doesn't, for instance, have access to this place and a couple of other bits and piece that I might need when out and about.

And even notwithstanding that, the inconsistencies between the various platform browsers are things and half way decent UI person would want to fix. They are all from pre-Smugmug and should get the full and undivided attention of the designers to deliver as consistent an experience as possible.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Ian Cundell:

Hm, strange. On iOS, I use both the app and Safari together and one doesn't interfere with the other.

view photos

dollywings [ Pat ] says:

I would like the Magic View in the Camera roll to be more Stable
I used it often until the photos started to disappear from it .
The number of photos there gradually became less and less until
There are now only 99 images left out of 3,300 in my photostream .
I would like to see this function properly .

view photos

Ian Cundell says:

Oooh, on Magic view - any way to make it teachable (ie to tell it that this "bird" is in fact a bullrush)?

view photos

Chung Chu says:

Chung Chu:

Doing some investigating and www.fieldofview.com works really well with user's Flickr photos. (I thought it was redundant when Flickr offered support of equirectangular, but it seems like it is alive and well and the quality is amazing.)

Now *THAT* is a way to display interactive equirectangular panos. Any possibility to incorporate and bring this into Flickr's fold?

Example of photos tagged with SPi-V_pano:

fieldofview.com/flickr/?page=photos/chung123/&tags=SP...

view photos

kentkb says:

Flickr please make the Batch Organize easier to use. The photo thumbnail bar at the bottom of the window should be adjustable for image size. The tiny photos are so hard to see. Please get back to me if you want more about this idea. Cheers!

(1401 to 1500 of 1536 replies in Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads