Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

Updates to the Flickr Android App
Latest: 29 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Print your photos with Flickr Prints
Latest: 12 hours ago
[Official Thread] Flickr downtime on May 22 and site issues since then. [10 SEP UPDATE - MOBILE Camera Roll Is Back!]
Latest: 3 days ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 4 days ago
[Official Thread] An update on Flickr search
Latest: 9 days ago

Current Discussion

Photo uploads fail but photos still posted
Latest: 5 minutes ago
Images uplaoded - again putting 1 year old Date taken info 2018 instead of 2019
Latest: 2 hours ago
A Feast For My Eyes Group
Latest: 2 hours ago
Unexplained surge in total views
Latest: 5 hours ago
Flickr photos used for AI facial recognition research such as MegaFace
Latest: 6 hours ago
Disappointed with Flickr since SmugMug
Latest: 7 hours ago
Getting logged out ?
Latest: 9 hours ago
Pixsy Pro e-mail
Latest: 11 hours ago
No Email Notifications
Latest: 12 hours ago
Kudos and Bouquets and Brickbats ,,,, just minus the Brickbats
Latest: 13 hours ago
Closing Group - Invisible Member
"Tag" function is not work
More...

Search the Help Forum

Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr

Kelly Cheng says:

Hi SmugMug

Your CEO Don McAskill said that he would like to collect feedback from users before making any decisions to Flickr. Flickr has been the platform to share and manage my photos since 2005 and I am still in touch with friends made through Flickr. So here are my wish list :)

1. Make the community engaging again

2. Keep the unlimited Pro storage (and price)

3. Let us to leverage on SmugMug platform to sell prints for selected photos or when someone shows interest, eg. allow the file for print order

4. Let us mark/flag selected photos to be showcased as a portfolio website of our own through templates, ie. we do not need to upload the photos again, with customised URL

5. Drop the Yahoo! log in credential

6. Fix the Explore

More later :)

Best,
Kelly
Posted at 3:05AM, 25 April 2018 PDT ( permalink )

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 17
(1 to 100 of 1697 replies in Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr)
view photos

twacar says:

Kelly Cheng:

Hi, I am no staff of Flickr and I am only giving you my personal, feel free to disagree with me if you like.

1. How is the community not engaging? I find members participate regularly and are more than willing to help, chat, hang out and the like. Does this mean things haven't changed over the years? No of course not, I think eveyone can admit that some "audience participation" has dropped due to a myriade of different reasons, but I also don't think it is soly Flickr's duty to resolve this issue. For example, what if someone no longer participates because they aren't as passionate about photography as they used to be, what should Flickr do? Yes, Flickr should do it's best to offer a top quality service, but behond that, if members don't want to participate, the quality of the service or what is offered wouldn't change that.

2. They have said the price and services wouldn't change in the near futur.

3. Good idea, in the mean time, although they are no longer associated, you can still go to Snapfish and access your Flickr account and print whatever is available at decent prices.

4. I am not very tech savy, but can't you just copy/paste the URL?

5. You're right, it does seem weird that "Yahoo" does still appear since they are no longer owners, but I suspect there may be legal/copyright reasons for this, again, I am no expert on the matter, but I know in movies, if a movie was created by MGM, it still has to be shown as such even though MGM was bought out and no longer exists.

6. What is wrong with Explore? I know that a staff member had addressed this on another help forum post, giving a link to a group explaining how photos are selected. If memory serves me correctly, getting one or more photos into Explore depends mostly on the fav/comments ratio on your photos. It essentially comes down to this: The more favs and comments you have, the better your chances, but be mindful, the favs should always outnumber the comments. So it all depends on how you network with other members, perhaps this is a good opportunity for you to expand on that community participation, start fav/commenting on other people's content. Of course no spamming, but you already knew that!
Posted 18 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

kmacgray says:

twacar:

it does seem weird that "Yahoo" does still appear since they are no longer owners

That's not accurate. SmugMug doesn't take ownership until May 25.

view photos

Seven_Wishes says:

More transparency along with a stable and working platform where fixes take hours instead of days, weeks, months or years to be addressed and fixed.

view photos

twacar says:

kmacgray:

Yahoo sold to Verizon/Oath last year, so yeah, Yahoo is no longer the owner. Verizon then sold to Smugmug, which, I agree, will officially take over by the end of May.

view photos

Kelly Cheng says:

twacar:

4. Our Flickr account is a huge database with our photos, let us flag our photos and these are to be linked to a template to create a portfolio page. The flagging part is like how we create a smart collection on Lightroom. The flagged photos could showcase our own photos like those via Adobe Portfolio, without the need to upload separately. This is related to how SmugMug allows the photographers to create their own portfolio page. It is allowing Flickrites to enjoy similar functions of SmugMug. Maybe you would ask why do we need a separate portfolio page instead of just our Flickr page. Because I think a portfolio page (generally a customised URL instead of one with Flickr or SmugMug in it) is a tightly curated set of images meant to showcase our range/style to specific audience.

5. I meant to remove the need to use Yahoo account in order to log in to Flickr.

6.Don't get me wrong, I don't really care if any of my photos make it to Explore. A long time ago, it used to be quite exciting if that happened but it has lost the 'wow' factor already.

view photos

twacar says:

Kelly Cheng:

First of all, thanks for replying with the clarifications, now to the point:

4. As someone with over 132k photos (not trying to show off or claim that I have the biggest account, just trying to empathize), I realise the need to organize your photos not only for your own needs but the needs of your audience. What you're describing to me sounds a lot like albums/collections feature on Flickr, but I admit maybe I'm not understanding your point and I havent used Lightroom nor Smugmug, so maybe it's something completly different.

5. I believe you can change your primary email account to something else, I know I changed mine to gmail, but I could be wrong, I changed mine since I was having login issues that needed to get customer service to resolve and this was part of the problem resolution. But try going into your settings to see.

6. I don't agree, but let's just call it a difference of opinion. We all can appreciate or not appreciate when looking at the same thing.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

twacar:

Yahoo sold to Verizon/Oath last year, so yeah, Yahoo is no longer the owner.

No.
Verizon/Oath bought Yahoo, including Flickr and various other companies owned by Yahoo.
Yahoo still exists, and it still owns Flickr.
In turn, Yahoo is owned by Verizon/Oath (who obviously own Flickr because they own Yahoo).

view photos

twacar says:

Nionyn_:

Thank you for proving my point, Yahoo does not exist as an independant company, "Yahoo" only exist to "humor" (for a lack of a better term) members and not because it is necessary. The best examples I can give are these:

Apple and Microsoft have seperate names and maintain those seperate names because they are two different seperte from each other companies. Thus, they have to identify themself differently, not only for customers, but because they are two different entities.

When McDonald's bought out Subways, Subways stopped existing, when you see the word "Subway", you don't see it because it is a legally seperate entity from McDonad's but simply because it isa marketing tool.

In other words, Verizon could do away with the word "Yahoo" whenever it feels like it, it is not used to identify a legally seperate company, but simply as a marketing tool.

(I admit my McDonald/Subway example isnt the best since they sell different kinds of food, but it was the only example I could think of in the moment)

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

twacar:

Thank you for proving my point, Yahoo does not exist as an independant company,

That was not the point you were making.

"Yahoo" only exist to "humor" (for a lack of a better term) members and not because it is necessary.
...Subways stopped existing...
Nonsense.
I think there are aspects of legal ownership by companies that you do not fully understand.

view photos

twacar says:

Nionyn_:

You are correct, I am by no means a legal expert, nor do I claim to be, but are you? Maybe you are, mybe you're not, I have no idea one way or another.

But either way, my understanding not withstanding, the OP did clarify in an above post that it was not the term she was addressing, but the ability to change her Yahoo email to something else for login purposes. I consequently will say no more on the matter.

view photos

simonov says:

This is an under-the-hood issue, but I am pretty sure a lot of the changes introduced in 2013 also made Flickr a less stable platform. Before 2013 this forum was mostly people asking other Flickr members how to use the site's many features. Since 2013 it's been people griping about bugs and performance issues. Before 2013 Flickr was a solid, robust platform (though always a little slow). If the stability issues aren't fixed, it's going to be a nightmare to support moving forward.

But I gather Flickr and SmugMug know all that already.

The only other concern I have about Flickr is the Organizr. I love the Organizr. But I believe it is Flash-based (is that true?), and if so then it clearly doesn't have much of a future. Flash is insecure and increasingly unsupported by new browser versions. In the past Flickr have said Camera Roll will replace Organizr, but I don't see how that's going to happen. Camera Roll does not come close to the capabilities of Organizr.

My fear is that producing a non-Flash utility with all the capabilities of the Organizr would be a major investment SmugMug would be unable or unwilling to make. I don't know how to solve this one, but I hope it is high on SmugMug's Flickr integration to-do list.

view photos

Tommy Bass says:

I hope Smug Mug changes the photo viewer aspect of Flickr to something more like 500px. Flickr has been horrible for viewing photos on computers for years and years without tons of clicking. The center justified on black look is so blah. No wonder so many people don't bother with Flickr anymore. The mobile app was a little better but not much.

view photos

Mike Slade. says:

simonov:

An interesting post I wasn't aware the organizr was flash based, I do hope that somthing with equal capabilitys replaces it. I would be lost without it

view photos

simonov says:

Tommy Bass:

Flickr has been horrible for viewing photos on computers for years and years without tons of clicking. The center justified on black look is so blah. No wonder so many people don't bother with Flickr anymore.

Photos are not displayed on Flickr with a black background. You are thinking of some other photo sharing service that people aren't bothering with.

view photos

twacar says:

simonov:

I agree with you about the Organize feature for essentially the same reasons, there's nothing else on the site that can do everything it does. Now, if Flickr/Smugmug confirmed that they were improve the Camera Roll feature to include the features of Organize, then I'd be ok with them junking the feature, but since they haven't I too am a bit concerned.

view photos

stagedoor says:

Have a skeleton staff on at weekends, and do not introduce major changes or make huge announcements on a Friday afternoon.

If you retain the scrolling pages, make the menu at the bottom of the page (Report Abuse / Help Forum etc) accessible without having to get to the end of the page.

Make flickrmail more accessible.

view photos

kmacgray says:

simonov:

Photos are not displayed on Flickr with a black background.

On the photo page they are.

view photos

kmacgray says:

stagedoor:

Make flickrmail more accessible.

FlickrMail is currently two clicks away.

view photos

simonov says:

kmacgray:

On the photo page they are.

Well, hell.

view photos

kmacgray says:

simonov:

You were technically correct, because it's more of a dark gray. ;)

view photos

guidowerner says:

simonov:

But I believe it is Flash-based (is that true?)

No, that is NOT true. Organizer was Flash-based some years ago but that changed at some point of time.

view photos

guidowerner says:

Mike Slade.:

An interesting post I wasn't aware the organizr was flash based,

Organizer is NOT flash based.

Edit: Read this thread:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-en/72157662899664757/

User posting to that thread initially believed that organizer is flash based but then found that this isn't true.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Organizr still cannot be fully utilized on touch-based devices however.

view photos

guidowerner says:

kmacgray:

Organizer indeed appears outdated in some aspects. But in my view it is still the most powerfull feature of Flickr. Really hope that they don't do away with it. Off course I wouldn't mind a careful modernization where no features are lost.

view photos

kmacgray says:

guidowerner:

Agreed.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

I've made this thread a hot topic so that more folks can post their thoughts on what they would like for Flickr. Don and much of the SmugMug team are actively reading the Help Forum right now, so they will see this.

Please post your thoughts and let's try to keep it civil and gentle with each other.

view photos

gigi4791 says:

I have a few wishes:
1. Please give us an option to see the slideshows full screen WITH each picture title and description. The old Flash-based slideshow used to have this option and it was great. Please include this option in all your apps (iOS/tvOS/Android).
2.Fix the Apple TV app. It is broken now. It is a shame for Flickr to keep this app in the store.
3.Find a way to help us create stories with pictures/maps/videos
4.Update/replace the maps. They have outdated, low resolution satellite imagery now. Google maps will be great, but they may not be cheap.
Thank you and good luck!

view photos

gigi4791 says:

I love Organizr. I would like to have an option to create SETS based on tags, geolocation, face recognition etc. Smartsetr used to have some of these features but it is offline now.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Here's my top 10 list in no particular order:

1. @mentions in groups

2. @mentions in groups

3. @mentions in groups

4. @mentions in groups

5. @mentions in groups

6. @mentions in groups

7. @mentions in groups

8. @mentions in groups

9. @mentions in groups

10. @mentions in groups

view photos

kmacgray says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

You've never brought up this idea before. 😉

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

kmacgray:

I just thought of it spontaneously a few minutes ago! The fact that every other social media/communication platform in existence gave me the idea ;-)

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

*duplicate*

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

1. Dump Auto Tags and Magic view, or give a Batch Editor.

2. Stop resticting how many groups members can add each photo to. Give members a sensible limit say 100, but not 5000

3. Find a way to promote new Admins of groups when Admins become absent for long periods of time.

4. Stop hideing text on Profile Page. Don't want to have to click more buttons. And stop hiding text anywhere.

5. Make the map work so that when you click on the map we can see where the photo was added to the map. And use Google Maps or Bing or something.

6. Make it so we can Embed Maps in Discription and Comments.

7. Stop Recommending Photos where i have to block members so those members connected to those never appear again in the feed.

8. Make it so that we can Flag immoral photos that get seen in Safe mode without having to open the photo page of the photo to do so.

9. On the photo page make it so we can Preview comments before posting. Make it like it is here in the forum where it works well.

I have a load more but i will give it a rest for now.

view photos

Bebopgirl1969 says:

Let us completely opt out of auto tags if we want to. Or give us an easy way to batch delete them at the very least.

view photos

kmacgray says:

1. Have a greater public-facing staff presence in the help forum (or whatever it ends up being). So much frustration is caused by lack of communication when issues arise (I understand why). Utilize this increased staff presence to better moderate the help forum, ban trolls, close duplicates, wipe out spam, etc. Also have weekend coverage because issues don't take weekends off.

2. Finish projects that are started. :) The years-long groups beta being an example. The also years-long Camera Roll being another. Organizr is a critical function of Flickr, and all of its features should be present in Camera Roll.

3. Have a complete and cohesive UI throughout the site. If I had to bet, I would wager we are going to see another site redesign down the line once the dust settles. When we do it this time, make sure all parts of the site are consistent. We are most of the way there with the 2013 design, but the site still remains a bit of a Frankenstein.

4. Resurface collections. I know they don't get much action right now but they might if people could find them. They've been getting buried further and further ever since 2013. They should be accessible via the main navigation just like albums are.

view photos

twacar says:

kmacgray:

Excuseeeeee me?! My problems soooo take the week-end off! All kidding aside, I would suggest these ideas to Flickr/Smugmug:

1. Please keep Organize, but if you to get rid of it, merge the features with Camera roll, as many people have mentioned, Camera Roll is sorely lacking and perhaps merging the two features may be the opportunity to improve on both. I know I utilise the drag/drop capacity when re-ordering my albums through Organize, it also allows me to do batch edits, access to Map, all things missing in Camera Roll.

2. If you don't want to eliminate auto-tags, I would think suggested tags may be a good idea. This way, each member can decide for themselves what tags they deem appropriate. Or at least have an opt out completely from auto-tags, not just the whole "if I can't see them, they don't exist" situation we currently have.

3. Being able to go through Explore by date is something I personally miss, I am not always able to view Explore on a daily basis and feel like I miss things.

4. Bring back the accessibility of the list of our tags, I get that Camera Roll is meant to replace this, but I find that with the list of tags, I can see not only what I use, but mistakes I've made or changes I want to do.

5. Speaking of Camera Roll and tags, why use auto-tags for Camera Roll? Why not just use the tags members place, I want to see how I organize my photos, not how Flickr's algorithm does!

view photos

Kelly Cheng says:

guidowerner:

I like Organizr too. I would like to be able to remove photos from an album more efficiently as we could only drag and drop one photo each time. For example, let us Ctrl click several photos to remove it from the album please.

view photos

LisaM in NYC~ says:

No auto tags please -- only the photographer should have the option to tag or not, thank you.

view photos

Pacdog says:

I'm calling in sick tomorrow.

Has nothing to do with Flickr, but I love you all and had to share!

Edit!! Today!

view photos

austenhaines says:

FWIW
Again please remove the autotags, or at least give an option to turn off for all future uploads (so, not on a photo per photo basis - this would NOT be a good choice....)
:-)

view photos

dbrothier says:

Hi everyone

There's something called "flick ideas" that was supposed to collect this kind of whish list - but I realize that it's hosted under a "yaho" url - so maybe it's the time to include this also under the flickr domain.

From my end I would like to see a "Comments" tab on the User's homepage, in the same way there is a "Faves" tab.
So that we could have have an idea of how a specific user behaves on Flickr, what are his picture preferences, and so on.

Also having a way to filter the comments (and this would be also the case for faves) to select only ones for a specific target user would be great

And about tags, being able to easily recall previously used ones would be good (that was the case several years ago)

view photos

John Lloyd Lovell says:

I've had a number of pictures stolen from Flickr over the years, to turn up on Tumblr, blogs etc.

Every time this topic comes up in the Help Forum we are told that if it's on the Internet it can be copied and that therefore nothing can be done to prevent that on Flickr.

And yet a quick visit to SmugMug seems to tell a different story. I can't figure out how to get at the SmugMug page html. And of course there's no download button right there to make it easy- as on Flickr. If there's a way to steal a pic from SmugMug I can't figure it out.

Is it possible Flickr photos could have the same protection from theft that SmuMug apparently provides its members? Even if the Flickr account is free?

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

dbrothier:

From my end I would like to see a "Comments" tab on the User's homepage, in the same way there is a "Faves" tab.
So that we could have have an idea of how a specific user behaves on Flickr, what are his picture preferences, and so on.

IMO this would be creepy and privacy-invading, and invite stalkerish behavior.

view photos

twacar says:

John Lloyd Lovell:

copy/paste and screen shots (I know they don't always work, but still) are the two simplest ways to get pictures off the net with little effort, but a much more tech savvy person will, I'm sure, have other ways to download other's material.

view photos

vip223 says:

dear smugmug, please remove explore !!

view photos

Mike Slade. says:

I would like to get rid of the photostream justified views and return to somthing like it used to be.

And lose the nonsense known as explore!

view photos

stagedoor says:

FlickrMail is currently two clicks away.

Only from certain pages - mostly clicking on your flickr icon top right, flickrmail is missing

view photos

mcnod says:

stagedoor:

mostly clicking on your flickr icon top right, flickrmail is missing

On "new stack" pages, your mail is found under the notification bell, not your buddy icon.

Alternate approach, type "mail" into the main search box, upper right of most pages, and click FlickrMail in the drop-down.

view photos

kmacgray says:

stagedoor:

It's still two clicks away no matter which page you are on.

Old stack pages = buddy icon > FlickrMail
New stack pages = notification bell icon > FlickrMail

view photos

dbrothier says:

FlyButtafly:

This is already the case with faves, as anyone can see what kind of pictures I fave.
About the comments my idea was to check against "bots" behaviour, such as comments like "wonderful shot" everytime I post a new pic. Also we already see comments from other people on one particular picture, it would just be a way to see all comments from one people

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Continuation of further up the thread page.

10. Have visibly active Staff managing the Help Forum 24/7 so wars don't break out as they often do. Staff need to listen and answer members questions instead of leaving it all to self appointed members that often don't know the answers.. Members often don't come to the forum for help for fear of been berated. Make the Help Forum a friendly place to come for help.

11. Where do I begin with Explore. If I ever do look there all I see are birds and lego, often from the same members on the same day. I like birds but not all the time. Make it work properly so it might visit Explore more often.

12. Camera Roll I can Select a good number of photos with one click. Thing is I cannot Deselect the same number of photos with one click. It has to be done one by one. And it gives no number of how many photos are selected while selecting. For this reason I've never bothered to use Camera Roll. And it only allows 500 photos max to be edited.. The thing is if I sectlect say groups of photos 50 +100+11 +20+8+300 and then want to deselect the group of 100 photos. The only option "clear" deselects the entire lot. So I have to start over again. That's why I don't use it.. Make it work properly so it can be used.
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 18 months ago.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

Camera Roll I can Select a good number of photos with one click. Thing is I cannot Deselect the same number of photos with one click.

This feature currently exists. After you click a selection of photos, click the "clear selection" link to deselect them all at once.

view photos

ernstkers says:

John Lloyd Lovell:

Is it possible Flickr photos could have the same protection from theft that SmuMug apparently provides its members?

Perhaps start with changing this setting: www.flickr.com/account/prefs/downloads/?from=privacy
You complain others download your photos, but you allow anybody to download your photos.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

kmacgray:

This feature currently exists. After you click a selection of photos, click the "clear selection" link to deselect them all at once.

I no. The thing is if I sectlect say 50 +100+11 +20+8 +300 and then want to deselect the 100,. that option "clear" deselects the entire lot. So I have start over again. That's why I don't use it..

view photos

kmacgray says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

That is what is expected by "clear selection". To reset everything. What you are asking for sounds like a really limited use case. I'm not sure how your scenario would be accomplished code-wise. All of your various selections would need to be tracked in the order in which you clicked them, then there would need to be some way to say, hey, see this selection of images in the middle, just deselect those. It seems that would be a tough nut to crack.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

kmacgray:

On each group of photos there is the word "select" .. If i click that word and change my mind I would expect that the word "select" would then have changed to "deselect" so that i can click to deselect that group of photos only ..Its not possible so I don't use Camera Roll..

view photos

Emmadukew says:

I've only skim read this - so I may have missed some things, but I guess it's useful to have repetition of some points.
For me, personally.

1: I agree with the points that others have made about the organiser; it may be a bit clunky, but it works. I tend to use the PC for organising things, rather than the mobile website.

2: I miss the calendar view - would love to see *that* reappear (and, if it could be applied to an album that would be even better - as I like others, do the photo a day - and like to have a visual memory of the month / year at the end).

3: Less bothered than some by ability to add to multiple groups, as I don't, but I know that for some it's important.

4: Less bothered by the link to the ability to sell photos - they're up there for me & my friends primarily - if any one else sees them, great. But, it's a hobby for me, not a job.

5: I like explore, would miss the opportunity to see random photos from others.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

On each group of photos there is the word "select"

But say you select 20 photos, and then select another 20 photos. So you then have 40 photos selected. Which of those photos would be affected by a "deselect" link?

Is your idea that there would be a "deselect" link for the first 20, and then another "deselect" link for the second 20?

That sounds like it would make for a very confusing UI if there were multiple links saying the same thing for the same function. If anything, Flickr's UI needs to be simpler, not more complicated.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

dbrothier:

FlyButtafly:
IMO this would be creepy and privacy-invading, and invite stalkerish behavior.

FlyButtafly: +1,000!

This would be an internet troll/stalker's paradise. Any bad actor could literally use this to follow you everywhere you go on Flickr to "listen in" on your conversations with people in order to chastise you or worse.

SmugMug, if you're listening - PLEASE do not add a "stalking" feature ;-)

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

kmacgray:

That sounds like it would make for a very confusing UI if there were multiple links saying the same thing for the same function. If anything, Flickr's UI needs to be simpler, not more complicated.

It seems total logical to me . If you painstakingly can deselect photos one by one. Why not be able to deselect whole groups of photos instead of click clear and having to start all over again.

view photos

faj2323 says:

I'd like to have the ability to easily re-order photos in my Photostream, without the hassle of having to fiddle with upload dates and times. Some sort of drag and drop function in Organizr or Camera Roll would be great.
On another Flickr page, I'm currently scanning and uploading a slide collection, and from time to time a stray box of slides will surface which has been taken earlier in time than that of the most recent upload. This feature would make things a lot easier.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Albums
Let the sort order of albums be sticky. Now new added photos are always at the end, even when the album is sorted with alphabetic, last added first, last-taken first or any other order.

Groups
Give more power to mods. Most important the ability to invite photos. Now the tendency is to promote others to admin, which increases the risk of an admin going roque and destroying a group. It doesn't happen often, but every-time it pops up, people are asking for more admin levels by taking away absolute power from admins and appoint super admins. Giving more power to mods (but not absolute) would make it more attractive for an existing admin to promote others to mod instead of admin with absolute power.

Autotags
Give people the ability to opt out complete.

Magic view
Let it also be based on peoples own tags. Now this feature is useless because photos with user tags are not in it. It suggests that the designers of the Magic view have more confidence in the reliability of their algorithms than in the people who took the photos.

Camera roll
This was intended to once replace the Organizr as soon as all functionality of the latter was also covered by the Camera roll. But after rolling out the Camera roll several years ago, no new features were added to it, which make the Organizr still necessary. The result is that there are now two systems for batch organising, which both have their flaws.

Notification bell
Make it possible to customise it. E.g. no notifications at all about getting faves but getting notifications about getting comments.

Maps. Or better the lame database and algorithm that add location names
If wanted Flickr automatically adds a location name based on the geo-tags. But the database used for getting the location name is lame. Names in the wrong language, misspelled names, wrong referrers for the child-parent links, missing locations, locations existing multiple times and even non-existing locations. The algorithms used to "select" a location name are lame too. Many times they select a wrong one that's in fact several kilometers away. Sometimes the iOS app shows another name than the browser for the same photo.
No improvement has happened for over eight years. The only significant change was that several years ago the easy method to select another name from the database and with that correct the name, was taken away. Now location names can only be changed in a tedious way with the API explorer. A method that few people know and even less people want to use. As a result many people don't show their photos on the map anymore.
Solutions:
- Improve the database and algorithms. This might be very tedious, so perhaps better:
- Implement a complete new and better database. Or even more easy:
- Limit the name from the database to a proposal and give the users the ability to add their own location names.
At least return the ability to change the location names in an easy way.

Maps (2)
Make it possible for the user to select an area and have all location names in that area be the same. An easy way would be to use a method to select an area similar to the geo-privacy fences.

view photos

dbrothier says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

Ok , but I think it would be useful , maybe not being able to see comments on everything, but at least all comments from a particular user on my own photostream , like "recent activity", but with the ability to filter on a specific user

view photos

Giant_Schnauzer says:

SEARCHING

There are several major problems; a few mentioned here to begin.

1. Random images at random times (from user's perspective) are not properly presented in search returns. There is a work around to remedy the problem with ones own images only, by hiding and unhiding from public searches, but it is not a permanent fix. Long lost unique decade old images from others' streams are as a result only rediscovered with great effort.

2. Entirely different results presented a times depending on whether logged in or out and whether using web browser or App on tablet. At present for me, logged in on iPad gives proper results but other three options do not. That changes frequently. (Not a cache problem.)

Others to follow.

view photos

twacar says:

Giant_Schnauzer:

To add to your issues with searches:

Wasn't there a time when we could do "advanced searches"? I mean above and beyond what we have now. I remember having to go a couple clicks into the simple search and being able to select whether I wanted to search for videos/pictures/screenshots, two of these or just one, being able to put in multiple search terms to narrow down my search results, and other things. I just don't see that with the search capacity we have now. Personally, I have multiple photos of butterflies for example, that I am looking to identify, having the ability to narrow my search before I even start I believe will eliminate at least some of the unnecessary results. I could type in things like "butterfly" and "papilio" for the times when I have some idea of what group of butterflies the unidentified one is in, but I don't know its particular name.

I don't know how good of an idea this is seeing as Flickr has made it clear that it cannot be used for commercial purposes, ie selling of one's own content on or with the aid of Flickr, but have you considered using some kind of crypto currency or points system? For me it wouldn't be so much about selling your content to interested parties, but more as a reward system to the "high performers" members. You get so many points after so many favs, after you've obtained so many views, etc. There wouldn't be much practical use for it, but as I said, it may be a good way to praise those who've earned them. There could even be a system put into place where we members can give each other these points, such as "I faved your photo AND 5 points".

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

ernstkers:

As a result many people don't show their photos on the map anymore.

I stopped adding photos to the map a few years ago because its never clear where the photo was added to the map. The jerky hover map is of no use to see where the photo was added. And if you click to open the map there are usually loads of pink dots that I never click. But no sign of the photo added anywhere. Many websites these days have zoom in and out on the small map. And also Street View that i use all the time.. Flickr is very dated with some things. I would love to be able to Embed Google maps onto photo pages.

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

twacar:

Flickr has made it clear that it cannot be used for commercial purposes, ie selling of one's own content on or with the aid of Flickr

Actually, that has changed for pro members. They can now use Flickr for advertising their wares and/or services.

You get so many points after so many favs, after you've obtained so many views, etc. There wouldn't be much practical use for it, but as I said, it may be a good way to praise those who've earned them. There could even be a system put into place where we members can give each other these points, such as "I faved your photo AND 5 points"

Oh my gosh no no no. This would be horrible. Flickr has never ever (as a site) been about competition, who has the most popular photos, etc. That’s what groups are for, if people want to foster that kind of environment. Many on flickr hate that kind of thing and it spoils the sense of community. I get so much crap as it is, follow-spam and such - it has gotten better (because I’ve been far less active these last couple years, for one) but on Instagram it’s rampant and I’d hate to see it happen here again. No points-system, no rewards for faves, just engage the community and interact like real people.

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

My suggestion to Smugmug would be to go look up the old FlickrIdeas group and peruse those threads which were full of good suggestions for improving Flickr. www.flickr.com/groups/flickrideas/ That is where Flickr originally set up (after they closed the Ideas forum) a way for people to communicate desires for new features or improvements on existing ones. There is still a whole lot of useful info there, IMO. :)

view photos

ernstkers says:

twacar:

There could even be a system put into place where we members can give each other these points, such as "I faved your photo AND 5 points".

Horrible idea. Really a VERY HORRIBLE idea.

FlyButtafly:
No points-system, no rewards for faves, just engage the community and interact like real people.

I fully agree with FlyButtafly.

view photos

kmacgray says:

twacar:

What practical benefit could possibly be derived from a points system?

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

The Best Thing About Flickr!

I will soon post a biiig loong wish-list, but first my thought on what Flickr has done absolutely right. It's how you can ORGANIZE your photos on Flickr:...

The "photostream"
You have a stream of photos ordered like a (b)log. This shows your photos with your latest additions/uploads first. Just like a blog (There's a stupid option to override the order in the photostream, I choose to overlook it. It's just adding clutter and confusion).

The Albums (and Collections)
You can add a photo to any number of albums you want to, and you can put the photos in any order you like in your albums. These are the theme-galleries.

The photos
There is only ONE of each photo even though it can be present in multiple albums (or none). Each photo has it's assigned "attributes", which follows the photo no matter if you see it in the photostream or in one of the albums it has been added to. By "attributes" I mean things like title, description, faves, comments, privacy & safety level, tags, etc.

So the smart thing is?
Well, you can organize, and re-organize, and re-organize even more. Remove a photo from two albums and add it to three other albums. Comments, faves privacy-level and everything else follows the individual photos no matter how you organize and reorganize your albums. You can have an album mixed of public and friends-only photos. The friends can see all the photos in the album, while others only see the public ones.

It's simple, it's smart. It is implemented soo right that it hurts!

I have had a major crisis with Flickr in many years following a move Flickr did in 2012, and for years I have been looking for another competent photo-community offering similar flexibility in organizing my photos. But I have never found it, so I'm still here. It's Flickr's biggest asset competing with other photo-communities, and Flickr should be aware of it and take advantage of it (They don't do it fully in current design, but I will get back to that in my wish-list following later...).

view photos

Alaskan Dude says:

I've been with Smugmug for several years and like it. It's a well run, easy to use site. It's geared to serious photographers and high quality photography. I've been with Flickr for ages and have seen it go downhill over the last few years. I'd like to see Smugmug crack down on all the accounts that are no more than spam and/or porn. I think I've blocked close to 5,000 Flickr users so far - people that have no photos of their own but have favorited thousands or hundreds of thousands of mostly porn photos.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Stig Nygaard:

It's simple, it's smart. It is implemented soo right that it hurts!

Yep. That reminds me to another smart feature sadly taken away: the Context strips.

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

ernstkers:

By "context strips", do you think about those "sneak previews" of next or previous photos in albums and groups a photo was posted in, directly on the photopage?
If so, yes, I totally agree. That was one of Flickr's great exploration-features that sometimes inspired you to go exploring themes, photos and photographers you probably wouldn't have found or done else. And also a feature easy to ignore when not in mood for exploration.
Stig Nygaard edited this topic 18 months ago.

view photos

angie_1964 says:

I am hoping Smugmug will push out a survey to their Flickr Members in order to get a better idea of what the members would like for their Flickr experience. That way everyone could be honest without fear of criticism from others that may have different ideas.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Stig Nygaard:

By "context strips", do you think about those "sneak previews" of next or previous photos in albums and groups a photo was posted in, directly on the photopage?

Yes, those. When I joined Flickr eight years ago, that was one of the features I liked most. Just for the reasons you say.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

angie_1964:

I would love that but would Smugmug be able to read them all. Though saying that most im sure will never fill it in, so it would be more manageable for them.

view photos

phil anker says:

There is an option in Organiser to arrange photos, in fact seven different options of arrangement. But once an option is picked for example Arrange by date taken (newest first) that option does not become the default. The next photo added then goes to the back of the album.

Please make the option picked the default from that point for that album.

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

ernstkers:

Yes! Context strips!!! Those wonderful, expandable/collapsible thumbnails that showed which groups/albums/photostreams they were in, were easily-scrollable, and provided a quick way to go to hop-skip-jumping around the flickrverse, exploring to your heart's content! You could even open up an album or photostream in the exact spot where that photo resided, instead of having to do a url hack or go digging to find it.

view photos

Stefano Rugolo says:

My only point (otherwise I'm very satisfied):

- Making flickr mobile app operative 100% like desktop version. For example allowing user to add pictures in galleries, and geotag pictures at desired location. Some more features which I can't reckon now.

That's it. Hope smug-mug staff will be enlightened reading the threads on help-forum. Good luck guys!

Cheers,
Stefano

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

FlyButtafly:

You could even open up an album or photostream in the exact spot where that photo resided, instead of having to do a url hack or go digging to find it.

Ah yes. suddenly remember that very important extra advantage of how it was implemented. For a long time after feature was removed, I was fidling doing those "url hacks" to navigate. But in the end I guess I gave up exploring in that way...

view photos

twacar says:

kmacgray:

I fully admitted in my comment that it didn't have any practical purpose.

ernstkers:

At this point, these are just ideas, Flickr/Smugmug never said any of what we were proposing was going to be picked up, unless it was a very popular and viable idea, but even then they didn't say they would do it. Thank you though for making it VERY clear you didn't like my idea.

view photos

Bingee says:

............ if it isnt broken , dont fix it .... too many times , too many error messages when FLICKR tried to stop SPAM , I think that was the reason
we had to hit RELOAD after every photo ,,

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

I have a terrible long wishlist in my head and in small keywords in a note. But I'm too tired to describe everything now. So I start with the 2-3 most important for me...

Photostream design!

Current photostream design doesn't work at all for me. The messy flow of photos does not give the photos the presentation I want. It is impossible for me to look at current layout and call it my photo-gallery or anything else flattering. One photo per line in my photo-column should be the normal. At least for 1st page with latest additions. I might accept a compromise on page 2 and forward :-)

Also with one photo per line in the photo-column, there should be room for at least the first couple of lines of each photo's description . Now I would actually be able to point to my photostream and call it "my photo-blog"!

I intentionally wrote one photo per line in the photo-column. Because I would like a smaller second column teasing some of my albums. With the album column I would really be able to point at my photostream and name it "my photo gallery" ! And Flickr should really give albums the visibility they deserves, because I think it's flickr's biggest asset as I also wrote in an earlier comment. Currently albums are hidden in a top-menu no casual visitor ever opens, and it is sadly visible in view statics on albums. Nobody ever opens them anymore! :-(

Conceptually, what I want was available earlier, when Flickr offered you to choose between several photostream designs. The photostream concept I liked, and a popular option in general as I remember, is the selected one here (sets=albums):

Make all my photos available in the big display sizes

Up until 2012 Flickr had always updated the full database of photos when new browsing-sizes was introduced on the site. However in May 2012 only photos uploaded after March 2012 was updated when Flickr introduced 1600px and 2048px wide browsing-sizes, leaving the majority of photos to be displayed only 1024px wide, even on 24+ inch monitors. Please SmugMug, make my pre-2012 uploads available in 1600px and 2048px display versions like the rest of my photos. It could eventually be a Pro-only service?. Hell, it could even be a pay-once service to update your collection? I'll pretty much pay anything to get the first 7 years of my photo collection updated to the display sizes you need on today's desktop monitors.

Make Flickr more "exploration"-friendly

This one is more a "theme" than a single feature. Flickr have lost a lot its "exploarability" during the years, and it's really sad for the "dynamic" and diversity of the site. Flickr introduced Explore-page, but when that's where everybody goes for inspiration, then it doesn't help much that Flickr tries to make the algorithm behind more "explorable", everybody still sees the same photos and photographers. Flickr looses it's "dynamic" and diversity this way.

I'm too tired to write more now, but hope to return to this subject in a later comment [EDIT: I have now my posted my thoughts about EXPLORATION]. And maybe I also return with my 20 other wishes, ideas and comments :-)

PS, and oh, I have partly fixed some of my annoyances of Flickr with my Flickr Fixr (But that's no help for the casual random visitor to my photos who ain't using Flickr Fixr).
Stig Nygaard edited this topic 18 months ago.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Stig Nygaard:

And maybe I also return with my 20 other wishes and ideas :-)

Only 20? I'm disappointed. I expected more from you ;-)

view photos

G_E_R_D says:

My wish for this list is:

Please unify the name used across Flickr.

It is confusing that some views show real names, and other views show screen names (or display names).

view photos

kmacgray says:

G_E_R_D:

It is confusing that some views show real names, and other views show screen names (or display names).

Yes, this is a good one. It's another unfinished bit of the site. I would prefer screen names, but make it one or the other consistently.

view photos

Photo Nut 2011 says:

There Are Two Things I would like to see.

1. Better Security. I have gotten a lot of solicitation from people who are not even members of flickr. I been invited to groups that don't exist on flickr, got questionable flickr Mail from people I don't know and one time many of us got bombarded with porn which caused the site to temporarily not work right for a couple of days.

The poor staff were overwhelmed with the last example for a time but they triumphed in the end. Thanks for the hard work you did.

2. Get rid of the need for the Yahoo Email address.

view photos

Pacdog says:

Photo Nut 2011:

bombarded with porn which caused the site to temporarily not work right for a couple of days.

That has happened a few times over the years. Really gets my goat when a site cannot stop attacks.

view photos

Pacdog says:

Photo Nut 2011:

2. Get rid of the need for the Yahoo Email address.

That is coming soon. I have been a Yahoo sense 1993 email wise so I'm old school, but yes this needs to happen soon!

view photos

Ladybird Lodge says:

A more robust blocking system. During my earlier days on flickr, a particularly nasty user stalked and harrassed me and several others, and continued to do so after being blocked, because she could still get to us through other mutual contact's photostreams and groups, etc.
Thankfully said user eventually left, but not before she'd driven several people (and heaven knows how many others) away from flickr.
Although I'm no fan of facebook, I do prefer their blocking system, which of course isn't foolproof, but better than what we have now, which in many cases may suffice, but sometimes you just get that one really toxic individual who can still invade our comfort zone.

view photos

Pacdog says:

ChinchillaVilla:

I also had a few members harass me back in the days of 2006 ish. Yeah it sucked as they would not let up, but end of the day I just had to report abuse on the attacks and soon they all were either deleted or a few sorted out to let me be.

I never held any grudges. Life is too short.

view photos

twacar says:

FlyButtafly:

lickr has never ever (as a site) been about competition, who has the most popular photos, etc.

Just a correction, I wasn't suggesting that my idea foster competition, quite the contrary, I view it more as a reward, but I am sorry you viewed my comment as such though. I guess I should have explained it differently, I view all Flickr members essentially as curators, we all work hard to post our very best work, we might edit, make sure the lighting is correct during the shot, some of us make elaborate costumes or décor, etc, I just think it would be great for that work to be recognised above and beyond the typical "hey nice shot" type of comments we usually get.

And side note, since when does competitions stop anyone from interacting with others like real people? I've played a couple of sports growing up, ie competed with others, and I still managed to treat and interact with people as people. In fact, being in competition with others made me realise even more how people should behave, treat each other, interact with each other. If someone did an "illegal move", I knew right away there were negative consequences, I knew I didn't like how it made me feel so I didn't do it to others, etc... I guess we just have a different experience/perspective on competition.

Like I said though, at this point, these are just ideas, Flickr never said that what we're posting here would materialise into a feature on the site, maybe I just need to find another photo sharing website that has this feature.

Best of luck to you and everyone else!
twacar edited this topic 18 months ago.

view photos

janetfo747 ~ Dreaming of Africa says:

I agree on fix explore. All members photos should be considered. thank You!!

view photos

Kelly Cheng says:

Stig Nygaard:

Thank you so much for suggesting to bring back the select layout function! It makes me feels so nostalgic about the Flickr then. People used to create an album of their best works and put it as the top album, so at one glance you could explore it. Now it is showcase in our profile page which is so cumbersome to add images and clutter the page. I miss viewing pictures at larger size instead of having to go to the photo page. The albums list on the right could feature what we wish to highlight, the best works, the subject, the country, the style, newer or older ones, whichever we want to have more exposure. Yes, please let us choose how we want to present our photostream.

view photos

Photo Nut 2011 says:

I just thought of something else. They need to create a way to remove group Admins that are no longer active on flickr.

For example I run 3 groups and if I were to suddenly pass away no one would be available at my end to remove me as the admin or even think to notify flickr of my passing.

I'm sure there are other reasons for missing admins but I just choose this one as the most extreme example.
Photo Nut 2011 edited this topic 18 months ago.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

twacar:

I view all Flickr members essentially as curators, we all work hard to post our very best work

All Flickr members do this?
Many of us do, of course, but...
I fear that you have a narrow and unrealistic view of how a great many members use Flickr.
Millions use it purely for storage.
A great many use it purely to share family snapshots with people they know in real life.
And many millions would not have a clue how to "edit, make sure the lighting is correct during the shot, ...make elaborate costumes or décor, etc." And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
All of those many millions make perfectly appropriate and good use of Flickr, without ever even thinking of curation or posting only their "very best work" - it's simply not something in which they are interested

I just think it would be great for that work to be recognised above and beyond the typical "hey nice shot" type of comments we usually get.
I'm very sorry if those are the comments you usually get on your photos.
Again, that is not everyone's experience.
Maybe you need to change the Flickr communities to which you post your photos, I don't know.
And I've no idea what you mean by "recognised".
Some people are thrilled by Flickr's vastly and unrealistically over-inflated view numbers, getting "faved" by members who never even looked at their photo, vacuous "nice shot" comments or having a photo in Explore.
Speaking personally, only a considered comment on a photo, when obviously expressed solely in response to that particular photo, is worth anything at all. Or money, of course - I am always happy that someone who pays me for prints genuinely appreciates my work. ;-)

Flickr is already awash with view-whores, Explore-gamers and others desperate for attention. "Points", "awards", "rewards" or other meaningless dopamine hits would only make this situation worse - a terrible idea.
The world is, sadly, full of crappy social media sites and apps that pander to the dopamine-addicted. I really hope that Flickr goes no further on this desperately sad path.
Nionyn_ edited this topic 18 months ago.

view photos

Jasperdo says:

Personally, I would like to see the interface return to how it was pre May 20, 2013. But I know that will never happen. So the main thing I would like to see fixed is Maps. I love how is it shown as a small map on the photo page, and it zooms in when you hover over it. However, if you click on the map it just shows you a collection of photos taken in the general location of your photo. And more times than not, the photo you clicked on isn't even on the map. That is beyond stupid. The whole point of clicking on the map is to see where THAT photo was taken. This is very important to me since the vast majority of my photos are taken during my travels. I like to map them to help others know where exactly to find that location when they go to the same place.

The other problem with Maps is in the Organizr. There should be a little blue dot show up when you place a photo on the map. Nine times out of ten that blue dot does not show up. And if it does, when you go back the next day to add a few more photos from the same location, the blue dot is missing again. It's very annoying.

Thank you for listening.

view photos

guidowerner says:

Jasperdo:

I support Your request to fix the maps feature. Some more thoughts:

When You click on the small map on a photopage indeed the photo itself usually is not shown on the resulting map page. What annoys me even more that the search function on that page simply doesn't work. There is a menue that allows to choose whether photos of all users, of Your friends or of Your photostream are shown. But this doesn't work for years now. Regardless what I choose nothing changes.

When going to "Explore - > World Map" the same functionality works. Thus it shouldn't be to diffidult to fix that problem.

Another problem is that Flickr often chooses the wrong location name. Back some years we could at least manually correct the location name. But this feature was removed with one of the last redesigns.

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

Nionyn_:

+1 million to everything you said

•••••

Another feature request: bring back the desktop version for mobile devices, or make the "mobile responsive" version truly mobile-friendly and usable. Right now, it is so stripped down of features, it's useless. You can't share, can't edit comments, can't zoom on the photos (and half the time the photos show up distorted right from the get-go), can't edit the photos (on your own photostream - no ability to change privacy, download, or delete) and you can't even add tags. Not everyone wants to install an app to access a website, and while I know that touch screens make things more difficult, it was available for years before suddenly getting pulled. Regardless of that, please - make it easy for people to use Flickr on their phones without having to install an app to do basic things (besides just commenting in discussion threads).

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 17
(1 to 100 of 1697 replies in Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads