Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Staff: working on a fix] "Flickr Pro account – payment problem"
Latest: 12 hours ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 3 days ago

Current Discussion

malfunction selection window
Latest: 41 minutes ago
posting limits
Latest: 60 minutes ago
Recent Activity
Latest: 86 minutes ago
Flickr Pro Subscription charged twice
Latest: 2 hours ago
FlickrIdeas offline?
Latest: 3 hours ago
Bad Panda constantly
Abrupt "Your Flickr Pro account has been cancelled – account past due"
Galleries: Can you reorganize the order of galleries?
Latest: 12 hours ago
[solved: fb setting change] sharing latest upload to facebook is not working
Latest: 19 hours ago
[FIXED] Weird disply/editing problems [Shard 51 DB lag]
Latest: 20 hours ago
Oops! There was a problem replacing this photo...
Latest: 20 hours ago
Flickr vs. SmugMug
Latest: 22 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Acknowledged] Cannot Upload Any Photos!

Siobhan S says:

This is driving me insane.

Every time I try an upload a new batch of photos (currently 12) i get a plethora of errors after a minute or so of the pink 'bar', ranging from 1 image timed out, to disconnected.

My internet is working fine and I can browse the rest of flickr without issue.

What is going on?!
Posted at 12:34PM, 10 May 2015 PDT ( permalink )
Matthew Almon Roth (staff) edited this topic 40 months ago.

(301 to 400 of 446 replies in [Acknowledged] Cannot Upload Any Photos!)
view photos

adameros PRO says:

12hrs since I first had this problem and I posted to this thread. I still can't upload.

Flickr, new features are great.... As long as you don't break the site in some major way. Please improve your roll out planning, and include a potential impact analysis to avoid things like this in the future.
Posted 40 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

steve-jack says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

I see!! This problem now sniffs a little fishy!!
You know what, with all these users not able to upload photos must mean they would have photos eligible to play the game. You know photos shot in April through May. It would be cool if we could turn this little problem into a plus.

If there are any good photographers out there with good photos please go to www.flickr.com/groups/flickr64challenge/ and sign up

view photos

Flickr Staff

Wilson Lam {WLQ} PRO says:

Hey everyone,

Really apologize for the problems with uploading and disconnections.

We are actively looking at it and will have a fix shortly.

~Wilson

view photos

Màrtainn says:

ktr-photo:

True. The longer it goes on and the longer they say nothing the worse it gets.

view photos

kkchome PRO says:

How can I get a refund, Wilson? I can't believe how you treat your paying customers.

view photos

Cazinus PRO says:

Same thing. I was trying to upload 900 pictures : No joy.
I lowered the amount to 400 pictures : No joy.
I tried 150 pictures : working but very very slow. It will take around 4 hours for 150 pictures !!

I'm using the latest firefox version, with a 100Mb connection.
I've tried to share my picture via WeTransfer : 30mn for 7.5GB, top speed at 75Mbps. No problem with my connection or browser then..

The issue must be with Flickr. I'm quite disappointed by the upload module performance for a historical paying member (unlimited storage space).

regards,

view photos

jdathebowler Thanks for 2.6 Million + views. PRO says:

What the hell is going on?Flickr is a site for uploading photos or it is supposed to be.It's not working and no Flickr staff member is offering a reason why.If their idea is finally to piss everybody off they are succeeding.If you can't upload then what's the point of being a member.Come on Flickr pull your finger out,tell us whats wrong and fix it

view photos

thomas lieser (thomas-lieser.smugmug.com) says:

Wilson Lam {WLQ}:

I hope you fix it soon. It's really annoying

view photos

gusset PRO says:

Same problem here. Manual uploads are very slow. Auto-sync from phone is currently 4 days behind! Normally it only takes minutes.

view photos

Davor Desancic PRO says:

Cant upload either!

view photos

Scott Holcomb PRO says:

I hear a stampede of people. Frustrated people wanting answers. What the #@&%% !! I can't upload photos to a photo sharing site??!!??
This photo sharing site is now just another cloud storage site, an nonfunctional one, at that??
That stampede that I hear, it seems to be people walking away from the disaster that Yahoo/Flickr has created.
Different from a horror movie, they can't even exclaim, "It's Alive!!!"

view photos

ЯAFIK ♋ BERLIN says:

Can't upload with the Flickr upload tool. Even my external "Flickr Uploadr" is very slow.

view photos

nicole boxberger says:

Impossible de télécharger les images!j'espère que ça va s'arranger!sinon,c'est la mort de flickr

view photos

Scott Holcomb PRO says:

Wilson Lam {WLQ}:

Nice job of testing your new 'fabulous' layout. If I did such a great job as this - well, I would have no job . . .

view photos

neilalderney123 says:

Wilson Lam {WLQ}:
OMG you scared me by actually making a noise!
i was sure there was no life in there at all! :)

view photos

adameros PRO says:

Eric Cazinus:

I'm just trying to upload 7, and even that is failing.

view photos

neilalderney123:

:-)

view photos

steve-jack says:

Wilson Lam {WLQ}:

Nice one Wilson! keep us all posted

view photos

neilalderney123 says:

*** work around for the desperate***
Just for the record.. You CAN still upload photos by email (it worked for the one image I had spent hours trying to post earlier..)

Look in your profile for the special "upload" email address and simply email the images to that..
:)

view photos

Azchael PRO says:

Wilson Lam {WLQ}:

Am certain you guys will figure it out. Too bad it took so long to hear from staff.

view photos

favmark1 PRO says:

I am so frustrated. I can no longer upload any photos onto Flickr. I have used 3 computers with 3 different browsers. Taken fresh photos and degraded the image quality to a smaller matrix size and still I can not upload a single image........why.........tried to contact Flickr and all I get is automated advice and "are you happy with the response" no I want to upload some images but can't..........why........has anybody an answer?

view photos

natures-pencil says:

Scott Holcomb:

Nice job of testing your new 'fabulous' layout. If I did such a great job as this - well, I would have no job . . .

Hey ... I am a good software engineer, with more years experience than I care to say ... yet despite looking for over a year I don't have a job. It is annoying to see that incompetents like these, with no idea how to ensure smooth roll-outs, are employed!

view photos

Panoramix999 PRO says:

same here in Holland, perfect working internet high speed, but every 5 minutes disconnected message ....

very unhappy ...

view photos

The Crow2 PRO says:

Same problem here. I'm very disappointed.... :(

view photos

Ruroni Poru PRO says:

Note to Flickr (via Wilson), you may want to post something about being aware of the problem on the Flickr main page so that people know what's going on. It's bad enough to get frustrated because we are unable to upload. That gets compounded when we can't figure out why. So we come here looking for answers and (as others have pointed out) get no reply for hours.... Makes normally peaceable folk / customers a mite unfriendly...

view photos

Ferdinand 'Ferre' Feys says:

And I join the topic:
- old or basic online upload: nothing
- new flickr upload programm: doesn't work at all. So... what to do?

Damn....

view photos

adameros PRO says:

neilalderney123:

That only works for images that are small enough. A lot of MTA's (Mail Transfer Agents) have message size limits ranging from 10Mb to 20Mb. One of the images I'm trying to upload, by itself, is 47Mb.

view photos

doublepower PRO says:

Just now found this thread after posting my own issue on this same topic (looks like Search could also use some work). Agreed, some kind of alert, maybe on the Upload page, would be in order. At least let folks know that there's an issue, you're aware of it, and give them any options that exist for getting things uploaded (I had limited success with the old Uploader.)

view photos

neilalderney123 says:

adameros:
I did say for the _desperate_ LOL!
I post 2 images a day and they are normally no bigger than 5-10 meg.

view photos

Surrealplaces says:

I have been having the upload issue for a few days now, and it's on multiple machines using three different browsers.

view photos

Thomas Hawk PRO says:

Wilson Lam {WLQ}:

Why didn't anyone from flickr acknowledge this problem all weekend long? Is someone responsible for monitoring for problems in the help forum on the weekends at flickr?

view photos

Silvia Campus Bellamy says:

No way ! I have been trying to upload photos since yesterday, with no result ! Unbelievable

view photos

matt-36000 says:

Siobhan S:

are "we" supposed to download the "app" to upload?
is that the flickr update no one was told about?

view photos

stevewilliams7 PRO says:

This is getting beyond a bloody joke. Four times I have waited an eternity watching those blasted blue and pink balls, only to eventually get a disconnect error. for God's sake get this sorted.

view photos

phi303 PRO says:

regardless of which method I use to upload, whether it be the old uploadr, the new uploadr or erroring out on the web interface i'm stuck uploading below 50kb/s on all three! being a paid user this is very frustrating and unacceptable that the yahoo hasn't even acknowledged the issue in the last 24 hours.

view photos

firoze shakir photographerno1 PRO says:

Think Flickr Think.. Uploads  Are Causing A Stink by firoze shakir photographerno1

Think Flickr Think.. Uploads Are Causing A Stink

@Flickr thank you for acknowledging after almost 3 days

view photos

adameros PRO says:

phi303:

They acknowledged it about an hour ago. Look at the thread subject.

view photos

johela1 says:

I have the same problem too!!!

view photos

kitchener.lord says:

At least the domain is UP and reachable:
www.isitdownrightnow.com/flickr.com.html
One more try...

view photos

jamica1 PRO says:

Siobhan S:

Wow the problem has been acknowledged; we can all breathe a sigh of relief [ } <----insert own sarcasm here.

view photos

kahmac PRO says:

I've managed to upload the grand total of ONE photo after hours of trying...

view photos

Crewcastrian PRO says:

Possible workround. Go into settings, select "EMails & Notifications" and look for the "Your Flickr Upload Email". Use that address, attach photos you want to upload and send the email. Don't be greedy - it only seems to accept one or two at a time. It's cumbersome and slow but (touch wood and keeping all fingers crossed) it has worked for the small number I've uploaded this afternoon.

view photos

Nettie'sPhotos says:

I have given up....no luck at all recently. So the problem is with Flickr. Not a good welcome back having had to wait weeks to get back in. Wouldn't it be great if we had been in formed instead of wasting hours...

view photos

kahmac:

lucky you...

I managed to upload NONE all day...

view photos

macdigger says:

Uploads seem to be completely sedated. Timeouts all over the place. However, images do manage to get uploaded somehow. It just takes them up to 10-20 minutes to appear

view photos

Aubr3y says:

Wilson Lam {WLQ}:

I have the same problem for 2 days now.. I can't upload not even 1 photo.
O_0

view photos

Rose Atkinson PRO says:

Was uploading some photos OK early yesterday afternoon - but then the uploader suddenly shut down and since then... nothing ! It's been over 24 hours now... Just glad I didn't turn on the auto uploader. Why on earth would I want to upload every single photo on my device to Flickr ??

view photos

Bokeh & Travel says:

Same here!!!

view photos

kitchener.lord says:

A minor success - ONE photo via OLD Uploadr, about 5 min.

view photos

Martin Gerard McCaul (thanks to all) says:

Same problem here. Ever since the change in Layout I have struggled to Upload photos. The same photos upload ok elsewhere.

Flickr help suggest I look at my Firewalls,Browser and Virus setup. None of this has changed.

If this is the best suggestion then we all must have had the same failures of these things. Going by the number of comments above.

Flickr Please just sort this problem out.

view photos

MojaveMeg PRO says:

Managed to get 137 photos uploaded last night - after a number of errors and restarts. No luck this morning with two videos that I wanted to include with the album. Frustrating!

view photos

knightbefore_99 PRO says:

Can't upload at all

view photos

Si 558 PRO says:

Glad it's not just me then.

view photos

And.Sm says:

Use www.flickr.com/account/uploadbyemail/, maybe it is a slow solution, but it works.

view photos

Rose Atkinson PRO says:

Just managed to upload two using uploadbyemail...

view photos

adameros PRO says:

MojaveMeg:

What kind of internet grease did you lube them up with to get them in to Flickr? Inquiring camera geeks want to know! :-)

view photos

ron_penrose says:

This worked for me. I tried last night and today using Firefox and all it delivered were timeout errors, failed to upload, bonk errors!!. I tried to uploading photos using Explorer (which I never use anymore) and had no problems. Firefox is the problem for me.

view photos

kelvintkn PRO says:

Wilson Lam {WLQ}:

I am surprised that you just notice the problem. No stress test before rollout a new version? What a great service!!

view photos

dichulya says:

Same problem already second day.
With every "improvement" of this site there is less and less motivation to stuggle with this. It was so fast and lovely 3 years ago. I'm nostalgic.

view photos

Derek@Charnwood says:

I had problems over the past couple of days with photos "timing out" instead of uploading. Now I can't upload any. Is there any evidence that Flickr is even trying to correct this? I tried tweeting on twitter to @FlickrHelp but there was no reply there either!

view photos

divewizard PRO says:

StourheadRector:

The evidence is they have acknowledged this thread as being in issue

view photos

geofft19441 says:

Seems pointless to say the same thing but I suppose the more people that complain, the more seriously they may take it.
No joy since yesterday (UK) - uploading was very slow but has now stopped completely.
Shame.

view photos

Oleh Khavroniuk (Khavronyuk) PRO says:

One more great upgrade by Flickr....we are sinking... to 500px...

view photos

johnwporter PRO says:

StourheadRector:

I've tweeted to @FlickHelp and @Flikr as well, still nothing.

view photos

natures-pencil says:

I am not planning to terminate my Flickr account. I am just not planning on uploading any more images when this fiasco is over.

Fortunately I only have 300 or so photos on Flickr, so the effort of re-titling and re-keywording them for whatever site I go to from here will not be too onerous.

I have played with SmugMug for a few hours today. it is very good. There is a monthly fee, but it is modest, and I would rather pay for something solid, reliable and trustworthy than have a free service that can go AWOL for 3 days without anyone that runs it noticing, or being bothered to communicate to its users.

view photos

paulnixon215 says:

Same issue whether using lightroom to publish or using photos on the mac or even vastly reducing the size and going through the app. only an issue since new update and layout. time out messages or check internet connection- nothing wrong with that!

come on yahoo get it sorted - do you not beta test these things adequately.

file backup to their serves is something I would never do - if sony can't maintain security or even the pentagon then ......

keep to for whats its intended sharing photos !!

view photos

miu x 3 says:

Same here... I can not upload any pic.... :(

view photos

hannes.baertschi says:

auch bei mir keine Uploads möglich, weder übers Lightroom-Plugin, Web-uploader noch über den OsX-Uploadr. Sehr nervig.
Well done, flickr...

view photos

Rob .S. says:

Siobhan S:

I'm now having the same problems, never had any uploading problems with photo's in the last 3 years, nothing is different on my PC, doing everything the same as always, now just getting error messages and timed out crap. My connection is fine, checked it, my ISP says it's running ok.
It worked fine upto now, last time I uploaded was Saturday. with no probs

view photos

material shock says:

I've now tried it on Windows, Mac, good internet, bad internet, old uploadr, new uploadr, still nothing.

view photos

Jonathan Fletcher Photography PRO says:

Same problem! Cannot upload via saved jpegs in folder on desktop, edited from LR5......tried safari and chrome....keeps saying connection problem......annoying! Time to leave Flickr??

view photos

Jonathan Fletcher Photography PRO says:

Tom Rayfield:

Same.....very annoying! I hope this is being addressed swiftly! I'm losing patience....

view photos

adameros PRO says:

Wilson Lam {WLQ}:

Have you identified the problem? And is there an ETA on the fix?

view photos

jamica1 PRO says:

ron_penrose:

Yes I've just managed to load up a few via Explorer using the old uploader. Slow but it works.

view photos

d_silva1 PRO says:

I've been trying for hours. Everytime Flickr 'upgrades' their services work worse. do these people not listen to their customers? I've had a pro account for years, but still get no service. Everytime I 'threaten' to leave, but w/ thousands of photos on flickr, they have me over a barrel.

view photos

Johnson Qin PRO says:

I cannot upload any single photo since last evening. It would be great if someone could help to resove this asap. Thanks.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth PRO says:

Just posted this here:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157652568890216/

view photos

stevewilliams7 PRO says:

Why on Earth has it taken so long to get a response from flickr. Customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

view photos

annoyed ink says:

I've been having this problem with the android app since the update when live and today on my pc.

Come-on flickr get it sorted

view photos

Platform-ONE says:

Same here INCLUDING the basic uploader.

Going by other posts, it sounds like this may have been going on for a few days.

If people have a pro-account, I would ask Flickr to give a partial refund.

view photos

Leticia Tootington PRO says:

Same here, can't upload ANYTHING from my desktop. Using Chrome. Also a problem on Firefox. I have rebooted my computer and cleared all cache. This looks like it's an issue on Flickr's end. Server issue?

This is the message I get:
Bonk! Errors must be fixed before you can continue.
Looks like there are connection problems. Reconnect

When I try to reconnect it fails again

view photos

Platform-ONE says:

Something else I've just noticed. I'm not sure if it's related, but I can only replyn to posts that are on the same page.

view photos

adameros PRO says:

One other symptom.

I use the web uploader (www.flickr.com/photos/upload/) and When I drag the images to the window, only the first image ever shows the processing meter. It finishes, and never appears on the next image.

The meter on the browser tab (Firefox) continues to move, though.

Then after a couple minutes it says I lost connection to the server, and there is a "retry" button on the first image.

This is all before I click the "Upload" button.

view photos

ro-photo-nikon says:

I also got this problem. I'm using Chrome on Windows 8.1.
Looks like a lot got the same. It was driving me insane. I've uploaded 1 image 20 times and made a wired connection for internet too.

view photos

neilalderney123 says:

adameros:
we, the users, identified the problem ages ago, and if Flickr haven't worked it out, then there is NO hope!
The new uploadr that they wanted everyone to download is, by default set to upload EVERY image on your device to flickr (even if it is there already) ... Millions of downloads, each with thousands of photos and BOOM! Instant self made DDOS that will NOT go away easily..

The perfect "shoot yourself in the foot" senario :)

If they pull the uploadr (so no newbies join the DDOS) and TELL (you know communicate with the users!)everyone to wait it will go away.. probably in a few days.

The alternative is that they need to pull a HUGE amount of extra capacity (bandwidth & processing power) from somewhere instantly ...

(The above is my opinion only, and does not constitute real-world advice.. your mileage may vary ... etc.) .. )

view photos

adameros PRO says:

Platform-ONE:

$25/year...

365.24 days/year...

2 days downtime....

2*(25/365.24) = $0.13

I don't think it's worth the time to process the check from Flickr.

view photos

Platform-ONE says:

adameros:

I meant to add (just a slight issue posting here as well), if it continues for a considerably long time.

view photos

adameros PRO says:

neilalderney123:

When I said "Identify the problem", I meant in their code base. Once they have that, and have some idea of the underlying problem, they should be able to provide an ETA on a fix.

The assumption is it is traffic, but we do not know all the code changes with the new features, so it could be bad process scheduling, poorly written SQL connecting to the back end, etc.

Do we know the address the images are actually uploaded to, so we can do a tcptraceroute and other means of connecting to see if it is load/traffic or a problem in the code?

The claim that it is definitively a DDOS situation , without that info or a confirmation from Flickr, seems a bit presumptuous.

view photos

|| UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL || says:

I hope a solution is found soon, at the moment I can't upload any images to Flickr. Cheers.

view photos

natures-pencil says:

neilalderney123:

You could well be right. It depends how the new software is written, what ports it listens on, etc.

I wonder how many millions of $$ this will lose Yahoo. And they could have avoided the whole problem for a sum they would not even notice. They could have monitored the site 24/7 or, better still, performed more thorough tests, including stress tests.

It really looks like the new uploader was rolled out with no proper testing, and no plans in place to monitor the new software in its first few days of operation. Whatever the cause, the overall impression is one of the worst kind of amateurishness.

This level of contempt for customers is hard to credit. In fact it is unforgivable.

Goodbye Flickr, it was nice knowing you (some of the time).

view photos

fitzrovialitter PRO says:

ktr-photo:

I am in the same situation as you and have the exact same thought.

Flickr developers cobble together some half-baked software, their managers deem it be released for the weekend; then they all clear off home. And Yahoo pay them.

view photos

saxman1597 PRO says:

People seem to be complaining about not being able to upload 900 photos at a time. I can't even upload one photo at a time!

view photos

neilalderney123 says:

adameros:

Ahem
"but they have to do with a massive increase in uploads with the new Mac and Windows Uploadrs and Auto-upload in the mobile apps. We’ve seen consecutive days of new upload records for Flickr, smashing previous maximum upload days, and we’ve been working around the clock to make sure our infrastructure keeps up with demand"
That is from www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157652568890216
I rest my case :)
(edit) and by the way I did do my homework prior to making that claim.. I do have a reasonable idea of how the interwebs works and what makes it stop working :)

view photos

adameros PRO says:

Leaving Flickr, eh? Like all the people leaving the U.S. every election cycle? I look forward to your uploads on Flickr next week.

view photos

adameros PRO says:

neilalderney123:

It would be great if they would update the thread specifically about this problem, so we don't have to go back and filter through the Help Forum over, and over.

view photos

natures-pencil says:

adameros:

Leaving Flickr, eh? Like all the people leaving the U.S. every election cycle? I look forward to your uploads on Flickr next week.

You will look in vain. I am not terminating my account, but I will not be uploading any new photos. You can find me on SmugMug now.

view photos

fitzrovialitter PRO says:

adameros:

Flickr don't know the cause of the problem; there is no chance that random users can correctly discern it.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth PRO says:

I don't want to close this thread yet because there are so many replies, but we've put an official thread up here:

That is where we'll be updating when we have fixes, etc.

view photos

Steve Guess PRO says:

Couldn't upload using New or old Uploadr yesterday evening and all day today. Getting very annoyed.

view photos

natures-pencil says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

"I don't want to close this thread yet because there are so many replies, but we've put an official thread up here:

That is where we'll be updating when we have fixes, etc. "

Too late mate. This should have been done at least a full day ago. You now have a massive PR disaster on your hands, not to mention a stupid service that is uploading millions (billions) of rubbish photos that just happen to be lying around on PC and Mac hard drives.

Someone in higher management there does not know how to do their job. I suggest sacking them and offering their job to me.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

(301 to 400 of 446 replies in [Acknowledged] Cannot Upload Any Photos!)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads