Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 76 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Ongoing improvements & updates to Free & Pro plans
Latest: 80 minutes ago
Has the Gift Option been re-instated?
Latest: 27 hours ago
Mobile app update: stats on the go.
Latest: 2 days ago
Supporting international currencies and taxes
Latest: 2 days ago
[Official Thread] CEO Don MacAskill responses to Free and Pro account threads
Latest: 5 weeks ago

Current Discussion

Response to Flickr Nov. 1 Claims
Latest: 18 minutes ago
Comments not posting
Latest: 50 minutes ago
To Watermark or Not to watermark
Latest: 2 hours ago
Paying
Latest: 3 hours ago
Recent Activity
Slow Loading
the compressed (zipped) folder '[folder location]' is invalid
Latest: 6 hours ago
Any reward/promo plan for old users
Latest: 8 hours ago
Awarding hangin up ?
Latest: 8 hours ago
Flickr Alternatives/Replacements
Latest: 9 hours ago
Organising Favourites
Latest: 10 hours ago
How can I dload my thousands of pictures before deletion
Latest: 11 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

WHY ALL THE Recent CHANGES??

*Mindteaser* says:

OMG !!! What a disaster!!! Hoping you guys will get the act together and go back to previous version as IT WAS BETTER THEN COMPETITION!!!!
Posted at 4:45PM, 7 May 2015 PST ( permalink )

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

They won't be going back.
Posted 44 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

zany crown says:

How many times does Yahoo! have to cram some obnoxious "new and improved" format down members' throats without warning before people finally realize that Yahoo! and their butt-kissing toadie "Flickrinos" don't give the furry crack of a rat's ass what the members like or want?

view photos

The Searcher says:

Seventeen times. It's going to take seventeen times, according to my calculations.

view photos

zstan says:

Agreed. Every other year they would make changes which only makes life difficult. Really regretted paying for pro subscription now.

view photos

patmaxecuter says:

WTF is flickr doing? The changes recently totally screwed up my site. Why can't they leave things alone

view photos

Vidterry says:

*Mindteaser*:

Much of this would not be happening if we were still in a 'desktop computer' paradigm. Sadly, people now want to access Flickr from their laptops, netbooks, tablets, smart phones, and soon enough, their (for gawd's sake) wristwatches. In order to make Flickr work on a seemingly endlessly increasing number of smaller and smaller devices, and across an ever-growing number of incompatible operating systems, as they say...something's gotta give.

If you always just think LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR, and the coding required to accommodate all of the mobile device newbies, you begin to understand the problem.

Don't expect it to ever go back to what it was when everyone was using Flickr on their home computers.

view photos

peteshep says:

Yet more frustrating flickr failures.
1: "Error We couldn't change the (Title) and Description"
2: Why is a Copy from Description no longer a Copy but re-formatted wrongly by flickr again and again?
Impossible.

(No unhelpful IT justifications please.)

Oh. "Yahoo will be right back".

view photos

r.watsgraves says:

What is this the 4th or 5th time in two years where they have changed everything drastically with no notice??? As soon as I make my peace with the shitty new design you go and make it even shittier.

view photos

zstan says:

Flickr is now trying really hard to become facebook & instagram all at once.

view photos

eagle1effi says:

zstan:

seems so!

view photos

ausfi says:

zstan:

Flickr is now trying really hard to become facebook & instagram all at once

??

712_:
no notice

What kind of notice? That it is coming, before it is rolled out? If you cannot try to experiment with a change, what is the use to announce it?

view photos

if.photons.were.grey says:

Right, so we used to have a tab "Groups" and we could hit "recent discussions" from there to quickly get to active groups that we are in. Now I need two hands and a torch, not mention a handful of clicks to find anything. Why is one fourth of the banner space taken up by "Create" SALE?

view photos

ausfi says:

if.photons.were.grey:

Why is one fourth of the banner space taken up by "Create" SALE?

Right, and no Edit any more.

Its not a great problem: You >Groups>Recent discussions, just one more click.

view photos

txmx 2 says:

flickr is to blame for my rapidly growing stomach ulcer.

view photos

The Searcher says:

txmx 2: Really? I would have guessed cocaine and alcoholism.

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito says:

ausfi:

no Edit any more.

The "Edit" link is under the "more" menu, above the photostream, far right (in the white band under the cover).

If you then replace the "1" by "2" (in the details=1 thingy in the URL bar) you go back to the old format.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

*Mindteaser*:

go back to previous version as IT WAS BETTER

For anyone who wants to revert to the former justified page-wide layout, there is - as yet - still a simple workaround.

Just as the smaller thumbnail version (adding /?details=1 to the url) is still available from the > More > Edit menu on the right, you can change back to the old layout.

On your own stream, after clicking edit, you do so by removing the 1 at the end of the newly created url. (or replace it by any other character than 1)

Hopes this workaround helps people out.

For someone else's account, e.g. the Official flickr account

www.flickr.com/photos/flickr

first add

/?details=1

the url will then change into

www.flickr.com/photos_user.gne?rb=1&path=flickr&n...

Remove the 1 at the end and reload the page (-;
Ger Bosma edited this topic 44 months ago.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots:

Great tip! LOL

view photos

txmx 2 says:

@The Searcher:

I wish it was. But it's the permanent layout tinkering that makes me sick.
(especially when there's still some flaws they should care about instead. e.g. cropped images in the photostream, heavy pixellated (wide format) photos in groups..
www.flickr.com/groups/panoramas

view photos

kev thomas21 says:

Each year more people are getting more fed up with the changes,it makes you wonder in a few years if many will still use Flickr?
Its a lot quieter then it was a few years ago,great shame really because it was the best photo site.

view photos

JKeddiltyPhotography says:

kev thomas21:

I for one am really considering leaving flickr. I hate the camera roll idea, hate the new default upload 'service', hate the whole change forced on the users. The only refuge I have is I disabled flickr updates on my phone, I'll manage to keep the old system for a while at least.

view photos

lairdascott says:

I have something positive to say: The ugly purple Yahoo! toolbar is gone! Yahoo!

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

txmx 2:

(especially when there's still some flaws they should care about instead. e.g. cropped images in the photostream, heavy pixellated (wide format) photos in groups..
www.flickr.com/groups/panoramas

I assume you have the new layout, since you're commenting about it - did you notice that the new layout (including groups beta) actually fixes all those things you mention?

view photos

jschumacher says:

JKeddiltyPhotography:

Is it the web "camera roll" or the mobile app "camera roll" that you dislike?

The former you don't ever have to look at, let alone use. You have to view the camera roll in the app, but it looks like one could easily get away with never using the camera roll there as well.

view photos

lairdascott:

The ugly purple Yahoo! toolbar is gone! Yahoo!

So it is.

(But it was gone before and then it came back...)

view photos

r.watsgraves says:

ausfi:

Why should my photostream be subject to Flickr's "experimentation"? These are my photos, my work, not flickr's. I pay this company money for a very specific service, and when that fundamentally changes completely out of nowhere or without the option to keep it as it is, then what exactly am I paying for? The privilege to be jerked around like this every six months?

view photos

mcnod says:

712_:

I pay this company money for a very specific service

Correct! You pay for unlimited space for your uploads. You pay for no adverts for you and your viewers. You pay for the stats page. You pay for the ability to retrieve your videos as a download in their original format and length. Are you not receiving one of these services?

view photos

Zoom Lens says:

What is every developer's rabid fascination with striving to go more and more minimal with their icons??? Explanatory text, or any kind of instructions, disappeared long ago, and now every developer, flickr et al, seems to try and come up with icons that no one on the planet can figure out what on Earth they represent or do. If you can find them at all...people also have a fetish for hiding things and you have to look and look and look to find them. I miss the old days when instructions were written clearly, you didn't have to hunt and hunt and hunt for things to find them, and icons made sense.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

So many familiar faces (icons) complaining about change. Embrace it, and get over it. So they moved the furniture and polished the UI. It aint the end of the world.

view photos

Kevin says:

Just you wait Яick Harris, we'll all be moved to ipernity in no time!!!! Mark my words!!!!!!!!!1111111

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Kevin:

Just you wait Яick Harris, we'll all be moved to ipernity in no time!!!

Not likely -- I'm happy here on flickr. I've survived 11 years, countless changes, numerous circle / slash groups and many uprisings. I'm grabbing some popcorn. This too will pass.

view photos

Яick Harris:

This too will pass.

And headed for the next one!

Chuckle ;-)

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Wait 'til the Germans get wind of these changes (that's a joke -- I love my German friends). But who can forget the uproar over censorship. Uproar? More like a siege!

:)

view photos

Kevin says:

That was parody, Rick. (If you recall in the dark ages of Flickr, I was once on the receiving end of this kind of freak-out. :)

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Kevin:

Sorry -- all of those exclamations threw me for a loop. Next time use the parody font, please. Thx

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Kevin:

Rick. (If you recall in the dark ages of Flickr, I was once on the receiving end of this kind of freak-out. :)

Remind me, which uproar was that?

view photos

Kevin says:

Яick Harris: Starting with the Gamma Campaign of 2006, a/k/a "columns to the right" for the next five years ending with OH MY GOD IT'S COMING BACK THE TRAUMA OF THE GNASHING OF TEETH...

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Kevin's post made me go check out ipernity for a minute out of curiosity....but I didn't last the whole minute - I had to get the hell outta there after only 30 seconds.

Now I really appreciate Flickr's new design ;-)

view photos

Lú_ says:

Kevin:

You know you're looking at a good change when there is less outcry than there was at the Great Moving From Left to Right Or Was It the Other Way Around.

view photos

Kevin:

Starting with the Gamma Campaign of 2006

But only good for a mere 384 replies.... is that an uproar to write home about?

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/22728/page4/

And the last responder is still waiting for their answer...

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Obviously he's having problems because he's using an outdated browser - his 2nd to last post was "I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.4."

view photos

Яick Harris says:

The mother of all uproars...

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/42597/

Every other protest has to live up to that behemoth! Fifty pages of unending protests.
At the other of the scale, the uproar over rounded buttons .

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Kevin:

Sorry -- I didn't make the connection. You're not wearing your staff icon. You have my sympathy ;)

view photos

Paul. (mp13 nhnc) says:

Like it? Love it!!

One suggestion. When logging in it would be very nice to see views, comments and faves relating to one's own photos rather than a bunch of people I hardly (if even) know. That would take this whole experience to the top floor!! Like the ability to segregate views as other people see it. Thanks!
Posted 3 minutes ago. ( permalink | reply | edit )

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi:

I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.4."

Yes, he should have been using 1.5.0.12

view photos

Giant_Schnauzer says:

Ger Bosma:

Many thanks for that. Unbelievable how ugly the latest layout is. Such a relief to avoid it. It's not just the function that has been degraded.

view photos

Kevin says:

Яick Harris: I think there were longer ones since that one, but nothing before or since comes close to the issues surrounding it. That was the Mutter of all forum topics and probably always will be. That was not a fun time.

view photos

Let there be light (Andy) says:

I would like to see the tag autocomplete function return to the photo page (not just in the uploader). It would also be nice to not have to go to the organizer to map. These were both functions of the pre-2013 system.

view photos

Let there be light (Andy):

Feel free to vote on User Voice:

yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/211185-us-flickr/suggestions/5...

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

Kevin:

Hey Kevin - did you miss out on the great button furore?

www.flickr.com/help/forum/100218/

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Patrick Costello:

Nothing compares to the censorship Führer

*thank-you, thank-you. Try the pork chops.

view photos

Phil's 1stPix says:

well, I for one think it's fun to change things that worked perfectly fine into things that don't, for no apparent good reason... it keeps it interesting.

if you don't like it the way it is now, just wait a little while, and they'll be sure to change it all over again. maybe they'll try a black background next, and then maybe see what white would look like, or instead of a circle, or back to a square for your little icon thingy, maybe a hexagon?

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Phil's 1stPix:

or instead of a circle, or back to a square for your little icon thingy, maybe a hexagon?

...bring it ON

view photos

polyneutron says:

Ger Bosma:

My God, THANK YOU a ton! It works for me, yaaaaay!

view photos

River Wanderer says:

THANK YOU! Now to see how long that will last.

view photos

cavok42 says:

Why change what isn't broken - someone justifying their exustence?

view photos

River Wanderer:

Now to see how long that will last.

Presumably the "Edit" link under the menu will last out at least this change, however, the replacement by 2 in the URL.... might be suspended soon.

view photos

Dita von Delft says:

*Mindteaser*:

It is horrible. Nothing works. I cannor u derstand all this negative changes. So unseless. Neither I can manage my pictures via my smartphone nor from my PC. Neither with google chrome, nor Firefox nor Opera.

It is idiotically. You never know what horrible thing will follow next. Bad Bad Panda.

view photos

meijsvo says:

Why, oh, why again???
Everything is different, smartphone doesn't cooperate, I cannot find anything...
Can we stop this experiment now, please?
It is enough!!!

view photos

Landru the Great says:

Just when you thought that they couldn't make things worse, they come out with this crap.

view photos

ausfi says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

I had to get the hell outta there after only 30 seconds

+1!
Posted 43 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

ausfi says:

Яick Harris:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/42597/

And it continued 43 pages in another thread:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/43626/page43/

view photos

Hurricane Greg says:

I love the claim by staff/shills that Yahoo designed this site to be viewed on PCs rather than cell phones.

Newsflash to Yahoo: The flat unintuitive navigation icons, oversized header graphics, excessively large font and lack of details on the photo page, and annoying floating toolbars that waste 2 inches of viewing space are NOT ideal for PC viewing. If this new design isn't intended for mobile devices, then what is its purpose?

It seems Yahoo is simply chasing overrated design trends in a misguided attempt to be "cool", like they're trying to win over the ADHD crowd from Instagram, Facebook et al.
Hurricane Greg edited this topic 43 months ago.

view photos

tourist41 says:

This new format is awful. I've yet to be happy with any of the changes I've encountered. It's just one let-down after another. One of the big problems is that everything I did in the past few years to adapt to the format here fails to work correctly in the new format. Nothing looks right, nothing feels right. There is no translation.

The latest let-down is my discovery that pics can no longer be viewed in full screen in lightbox. This imposed limit becomes really evident on very large screens. One of the things I really liked about Flickr until now was the ability to see high resolution photos in the highest resolution possible. Flickr is depressing.

view photos

Okinawa Soba (Rob) says:

Democ­racy is the worst form of gov­ern­ment, except for all the oth­ers ” -- Winston Churchill.

"Flickr is the worst photo-sharing site, except for all the others. " -- Okinawa Soba

view photos

tourist41:

The latest let-down is my discovery that pics can no longer be viewed in full screen in lightbox

I get your photos fullscreen when I click on the two opposing arrows, top right hand corner.
"Fullscreen" depends upon the preferred display size. I have set my preferred display size at 1024, so no, that will not fill the screen. The other options are "best display size", "1600" and "2048".

Are you aware of the magnifying zoom feature? Hover over the photo on the photo page and click.

in the highest resolution possible

For that matter: Flickr has never displayed your original, if that is what you are referring to - for displaying it selects any one of the above mentioned four display sizes.

If you want your viewers to see the high res original (assuming you have disabled casual downloading) you can post the link to the static photo in the description area on the photo page

Ed. anyone = any one.
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito edited this topic 43 months ago.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads