Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Flickr grandfathered Pro subscriptions
Latest: 11 minutes ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 4 hours ago

Current Discussion

Bad Panda constantly
Latest: 17 minutes ago
Pro Renewal after updating expired card
Latest: 2 hours ago
Recent Activity
Flickr grandfathered Pro subscription price
Copyright
Latest: 5 hours ago
Apple Photo doesn't connect to Flickr, I'm ready to move on.
Latest: 6 hours ago
Reinstalled Windows, no adult content shown for me anymore (Safe Search Filters)
Cannot access my account
Limit on photo upload??
Latest: 8 hours ago
[solved: fb setting change] sharing latest upload to facebook is not working
Latest: 10 hours ago
Keep Getting Billed for Pro despite Cancellation
Latest: 11 hours ago
3 profiles
Latest: 14 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[BUG] Upload speed

John W. Davies says:

Lots of people are suffering from a slow upload.

I'm in the UK and having 42kb/s upload speed which is 5% of what is should be, and what it has been.

OTHER sites are uploading around 1500kb/s. So it's not my end.

This is the last response from Flickr :-

Hello John,

Thank you for contacting Yahoo.

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having uploading speed problems, but I am going to do everything I can to fix it.

Without a URL to that specific thread on the help forum, I am unable to provide anything more then basic troubleshooting.

I've tried to replicate the issue you have described and I was unable to do so from my browser. I uploaded 100 photos in under 5 seconds from my browser,

I am going to include a broad range of steps to try, for the sake of being thorough, I may include some things that you may have already tried. If so, I apologize for that.
You may be able to fix the issue by using any of the following steps:

Set your browser to accept cookies.
Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
Disable browser add-ons.
Try using a different supported web browser.
Unplug the power from your modem and router for 30 seconds to refresh the connection.
Connect your computer directly to the modem.
Temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus software.
Disable any proxy settings on your browser.
Try accessing from another network (if you are at work, try from home or vice versa).
- If the issue is isolated to one network, contact your network administrator or ISP.
As a last resort, restore your browser to its factory settings.
If you're still having trouble after trying the steps above, let us know and we'll be happy to help. In your reply, please include the following information:

A screenshot of the behavior you're seeing.
A clear explanation of what you're experiencing.
A detailed description of the exact steps taken that led to the problem you're seeing.
The full and exact text of any error messages you received.
The Web address(es) of the page(s) you are seeing the error/issue on.
Your Flickr Web address and/or Flickr screen name.
Please let us know if this helps with the problem, as your satisfaction is our goal.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo.

Cheers,

Alex

It's a ridiculous response and I have told them as much. I hope someone without a script can look into the problem
Posted at 12:58PM, 10 May 2015 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

m_stockley says:

Uploaded a 100 photos in 5 seconds? Ok then...
Posted 40 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

John W. Davies says:

As I pointed out to the Mr Flickr - he's sat at Flickr HQ?

I have followed it up, again.

view photos

wuwong says:

I live in the UK and I'm having the same problems as well!

Mine starts uploading really slow then there's a Bonk! message saying there's an error uploading.

Yes I have:
1. Speed tested my line and I have a 19mb upload speed
2. Restarted the modem and computer
3. Cleaned all temporary files and cache etc etc
4. Disabled Avast
5. Used Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome
6. Uploaded to Photobucket fine so nothing wrong with my connection

Judging from the previous topics, I'm not alone.

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito PRO says:

Have you guys tried the old uploader?

view photos

John W. Davies says:

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots:

Hi Mabel - that's what i'm using.

Still going on 256 photos @ 15Mb size.

average 42kB/s - driving me nuts! Normal side would be 1500kb/s

view photos

John W. Davies:

I mean this one, with a capacity for just six at a time,

www.flickr.com/photos/upload/basic

Sometimes people for whom the Web Uploadr will not work at all can still use that to tide them over till the trouble with the Web uploader are fixed or blown over.

view photos

Màrtainn says:

I've been having trouble uploading since yesterday. If I upload photos one by one sometimes it works but a batch is impossible.

I think when they rolled out the new uploader program it totally overloaded their bandwidth and servers.

The new program isn't an uploader program it's a backup program. It uploads entire folders to Flickr and defaults to upload every picture on your PC including Dropbox folders. I started it and backed away as soon as I saw what it really was. I want to choose my pictures not use Flickr as a backup service.

That's what the auto-tag service is about. It's to auto-tag the pictures that users backup onto Flickr because they don't have the time or inclination to tag all their backups. Flickr has been redesigned as a backup service not a picture site.

I think their systems have just been overwhelmed with the volume of traffic the new backup program uploader has generated.

view photos

fitzrovialitter PRO says:

John W. Davies:

Alex of Flickr claimed: "I uploaded 100 photos in under 5 seconds from my browser"

Did you? I don't think so. Do the maths. It's an embarrassment that Yahoo employs such incompetents.

view photos

fitzrovialitter:

I uploaded 100 photos in under 5 seconds from my browser"

That seems unlikely. Assuming the "seconds" was a slip of the pen so to speak, and should have read "minutes", then still it is unlikely that 100 photos were uploaded in just five minutes, unless they were thumbnails.

I just transferred 53 photos (5 to 10 MB each) to the Web Uploadr and clicked "upload" and noticed that after three minutes the progress bar was only filled for some four millimeter leaving another five meters to go. And I have a fast, stable Internet connection and no upload issues.
Go figure.

view photos

robby.denys says:

From Belgium i'm also having this problem, i hope they find a solution real quick, because i tought flickr was a great service until last week...

view photos

Thomas Hawk PRO says:

I don't believe uploading 100 photos in 5 seconds is possible. This is a serious issue that Flickr should acknowledge.

view photos

fitzrovialitter PRO says:

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots:

A typical jpeg of mine is around ten megabytes in size. So, is this goon claiming he can upload one gigabyte in five seconds from his "browser" ... and expecting the rest of us to believe it?

view photos

Les Bailey says:

Upload, replace, and most else not working, and staff too busy to say anything.
Sadly typical

view photos

simonov PRO says:

If this post is accurate, it would explain the upload performance issues.

view photos

michaelday_bath PRO says:

My attempts to bulk upload multiple (100+) photographs earlier failed, so I tried uploading a single photograph, again without success. Flickr suggested that there may be "connection problems," which wasn't very helpful. Subsequently, I did manage, however, to upload successfully a screenshot of the "Bonk" message:

Upload screen by michaelday_bath

I presume that the screenshot worked because the file was 140 KB (rather than the 2.2 MB of my photograph).

Until this upload problem is fixed, Flickr is pretty much unusable. I wish that Flickr staff would comment here, if only to show that they are reading this and thus are aware of the problem.

view photos

Martin Hardman says:

I'm in the same situation here in the US - a photo that would usually take 10 or so seconds to upload is so slow the connection eventually times out and fails. Impossible to upload irrespective of the upload method.
Martin Hardman edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

Europa and JDM PRO says:

Can't upload a photo to Flickr.

Problem was intermittent yesterday (took several tries) but today won't work at all.

Tried Chrome, Firefox, Mac, Windows. Not working.

view photos

Europa and JDM PRO says:

Europa and JDM:

Uploading the same image to Creative Cloud works fine, so it's not my connection.

Come on, who's got the "pager" over the weekend? Wake up, fix the site for us!!!

view photos

phunnyfotos PRO says:

Having the same uploading issues here in Australia :-(
Also getting the "Bonk . . . Re-try" message or the upload is still going after several hours and I end up disconnecting. The old uploadr has worked [slowly] for me a couple of times, but today I can't seem to upload via any means. Let's hope Flickr sorts this issue promptly.

view photos

Mark McLeod 80 says:

phunnyfotos:

Same here in Aus. Very annoying.

view photos

ARTFXSTUDIOS says:

Same here in the Netherlands. Been trying to upload photos of last weekends trip and it just keeps failing... The lack of help from the Flickr staff is also ridiculous.

view photos

Karen Riddle PRO says:

Same here. Worked perfectly a week ago. I don't want to upload all my photos to Flickr. I only want to upload a few at a time. Today am desperately trying to load 49. NOT ONE WILL GO. Even the old-fashioned way of 6 a time it still doesn't work.
I've tweeted Flickr, I've posted here. Just an answer from Flickr would be lovely. Thank you.

view photos

Giorgio Ghezzi PRO says:

A ridiculous answer!!

www.isitdownrightnow.com/flickr.com.html

view photos

S.P.hotography PRO says:

Same here in Germany nearly no speed during upload. A single pic took several minutes, But only on flickr on all other known photo services there is no problem with upload

view photos

262989 says:

Using Flickr uploadr with the constant upload speed 26,4 kB per second. Something has to give...I like the new camera roll and magic view layout though..

view photos

flagrant snails PRO says:

Same here, and Flickr service keep on getter worse

view photos

magaroonie PRO says:

I'm trying to upload only one photo at a time and uploadr apparently can't cope. I'm now being told I'm offline but I'm not!

view photos

John W. Davies says:

Flickr have escalated my support ticket to there engineers.

So I live in hope

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads