Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] A new way to stay informed about site performance issues.
Latest: 13 minutes ago
[investigating, staff reply] Stats, Statistics, Lost Views!
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
[Official Thread] Flickr downtime on May 22 and site issues since then. (PLEASE REPLY HERE)
Latest: 8 hours ago
Thank you Flickr tech people!
Latest: 9 hours ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 3 days ago
[Official Thread] Scheduled downtime on May 22, plus more updates on speed & stability
Latest: 4 days ago
[FIXING – FIND PHIL!] Anyone else see part of a moving face with a mustache?
Latest: 3 weeks ago

Current Discussion

websense causing havoc
Latest: 5 minutes ago
Auto Tags: Gone or just hidden?
Latest: 35 minutes ago
Searching and Indexing new photos not working again. (Starting new thread since old issue was resolved)
Latest: 42 minutes ago
Suddenly Flickr disowned me!
Latest: 47 minutes ago
Cannot Add Images to Groups
Latest: 3 hours ago
How to Rotate Photos
Explore
Uploadr not working on the app
Latest: 5 hours ago
A mysterious place with no name
Uploader hanging when loading images
Photos upload extremely unstable
Groups slow to load
More...

Search the Help Forum

NOT FIXED So called "You seem to be using an unsupported browser"

See more at bogaert.uk says:

Staff responses:

Suddenly Safari is have issues with Flickr.
I get "You seem to be using an unsupported browser. To get the most out of Flickr please upgrade to the latest version of...."
My Safari is up to date.
Anyone else have this issue and can anyone help????
Posted at 4:18AM, 22 April 2015 PDT ( permalink )
Matthew Almon Roth (staff) edited this topic 51 months ago.

(401 to 500 of 878 replies in NOT FIXED So called "You seem to be using an unsupported browser")
view photos

LibraSpirit Images says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

no...let us use it instead. (opera12.14) which worked at least a week ago.
Posted 51 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Hurricane Greg says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

"There's really not much we can do but encourage you to try a newer, safer, supported browser."

Well okay then. Enjoy the loss of page views and ad revenue. Did it ever occur to you that a very large percentage of the world's population lives in poverty (China and India alone have nearly 3 billion people). Do you think all of them can afford to just go out and buy a new computer every year to keep up with pretentious sites like yours who feel the need to constantly overhaul what was never broken? Not to mention all the billions of computers that end up in landfills because of such nonsense. The throwaway mentality of modern society is already at crisis levels, and Yahoo just made it worse.

Exactly what functionality was gained by making these changes? On the only computer I have that can even load your "new and improved photo page", all I see is functionality REMOVED, and lots more bloated javascript added.

Remember Yahoo, when this site tanks, it's all your doing, and it was completely avoidable, if you could only see beyond the numbers churned out by your sales & marketing department (or as I like to call it, the BS department, because in most companies that's what it is) and look at it from the perspective of the real world.
Hurricane Greg edited this topic 51 months ago.

view photos

LibraSpirit Images says:

"Clear cookies" is supposed to rid one of the unsupported browser pop-up...been there/ tried that/ still get that message.

smartest idea of the day...shut off flickr and hope that somehow it gets better tomorrow....ain't worth my time trying to deal with it...old age has its wisdom.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Hurricane Greg: If you look at that link Matthew posted above about browser usage stats:

code.flickr.net/2015/03/04/browsers-in-2014/

You would find that one of the main reasons for this change is to focus on what is apparently a vast majority of site users that are using current browsers. There are many security features in later browsers missing in older browsers, features that can not only put you at risk but also the site that still allows insecure browsers to view the site.

Unfortunately, when a change only affects one or two percent of total site users, the site "tanking" is not something they have to worry about. Apparently all of those people in India and China you're concerned about are using current versions of Chrome and Firefox.

view photos

Stephen Satherley says:

We need a definative statement from Flickr on this ! Are they going to fix it or not ?

view photos

jdyf333 says:

I think it is time for this fruitless discussion to end. Here is my final comment:

Obviously, Flickr could support my browser if they wished to. They have been doing so for years. Flickr is a for-profit business. The job of the employees of Flickr is to make more money for Flickr. Flickr has chosen to not support my browser because they make more money by not supporting my browser. We all need to understand that it is nothing personal. If Flickr can make one cent by not supporting my browser, they will definitely not support my browser, and they definitely will not feel any remorse for not supporting my browser because they are just doing their job, which is to make more money for Flickr. Am I sad because Flickr has chosen not to support my browser? Yes! Very! But I realize that to businesses, making more money is extremely important. The happiness of little people such as myself is utterly unimportant to Flickr unless my lack of happiness interferes with Flickr's ability to make more money. (It has been said that extremely wealthy capitalists are frequently what might be described as sociopaths. They do not care about people. They only care about money.)

view photos

Shein Die says:

Stephen Satherley:

yes thank you that is the answer yes or no

view photos

A30yoyo says:

Never was a' green grass' problem on my old Windows XP laptop running Chrome but on my six-month old Samsung Galaxy tablet the 'green grass' has gone but the photopage only loads a blurry image on the LH side of the screen with no share/download etc. symbols on right....so IT AIN'T FIXED

view photos

Pete Rowbottom, Wigan, UK says:

Superb.... Yes guys 'disable' your hacks..... why are we using hacks would surely be a better question?

Because, as at the time we stated the new format was poor, and the hacks enabled us to use the new interface as if nothing had happened, the user interface was perfect once again, and any viewers could use the site with all the new fancy stuff without any issue, the issue is clear here guys, give us the USERS the choice to pick between new and old versions (ie FAR better OLD versions) and then display as new to any viewers, no issues with progress but it seems viewers are getting a far better deal than paying customers - ie the folks that put a lot of effort into displaying, ie the content of your entire website.

view photos

Lorencz Photography says:

Well it's been more than 24 hours. Fix or no fix?

view photos

eagle1effi says:

why i can´t click away

the white box

"You seem to be using an unsupported browser.
Please update to get the most out of Flickr."

??

view photos

eagle1effi says:

jdyf333:

Obviously, Flickr could support my browser if they wished to. They have been doing so for years.

:

Profit?

This is an new aspect!

of the new Flickr Beta 2015!

Flickr supports the browser market!

May be!

view photos

The Searcher says:

Pete Rowbottom, Wigan, UK: I think the issue is, soon there will BE no "old version". So those older browsers, and the hacks used to make newer browsers pretend to be older browsers, will soon display nothing but an error page. Flickr is likely finally, after over a year (two?), removing the old deprecated pages from their servers. Since these old browsers can't display the current site, there's no point to "allow" them to access the site. The site they could view is going to cease to exist. It may actually already BE gone, and this warning page went live when the old pages were deleted from the servers.

And while there were a very small minority of people still viewing the site with old browsers (according to Matthew's link on usage statistics for the site), it apparently isn't enough to justify maintaining an entirely separate shadow site just for them.

view photos

Pete Rowbottom, Wigan, UK says:

The Searcher:

Well, if that's the case perhaps it's the push I finally needed to set up my own website, i can mail my contacts off here and set up elsewhere, I've had loads of paid work off Flickr, even ignoring the irrelevant 'explore' thanks guys, it's been fun.

view photos

eagle1effi says:

minions & myrmidons:

sorry, sorry staff!

this is not fine -

but i understand his feelings!

effi

view photos

kmacgray says:

Pete Rowbottom, Wigan, UK:

That's really the only way to do it if you want total control over your photos online. Flickr's TOS dictate they can pretty much do what they want with their website (since it is indeed theirs, not ours), and we agree they can do that when we create our accounts. You won't have that problem if you build your own site.

view photos

coupe1942 says:

Why was the other thread closed by staff if the problem has not been fixed? I was able to load one photo earlier today and not get the greenie message. I rebooted the firefox and downloaded it as my new browser. However, that apparently has not worked and I now get the same greenie message that my browser is not supported. How can I get my flickr photos working correctly again. I can't link them at any other site, as all that shows is that irritating message again. How long before the flickr folk fix this problem so paying customers get what they paid for? It is frustrating, as I can view my photos, but I can't edit them or link them to anyone without getting that frustrating message instead. I have no idea as to how to update any browser, as I have tried that and nothing seems to correct the problem. Are the staff actually working on a fix and how long do they figure it will take to resolve this issue?

Again, why did they close the other thread on this subject? It would seem that they would want to know of customer problems as well as customer dissatisfaction.

view photos

kmacgray says:

coupe1942:

They closed it to consolidate discussion in one place. There's no point in having multiple topics on the same subject. This way, it's easier for both members and staff to follow along.

view photos

BeesPollinate says:

Flickr Matthew Almon Roth....please help. I loaded Chrome.....my computer came back saying it loaded, etc.....I still cannot use Flickr.

view photos

decembre says:

Before this radical change i invite without problem.

Now after i am forced to use this "new design",
I can't invite a shot to my pool:
"You're not an admin of any groups! Why not create one?"

i have pool that i admin since a long time...

I noticed this bug since a long time when i tested the new design in 2014.
But like i used the old design i don't take care on it.
Now that's different.
;-)

Ps:
The photo page is very slow :
The shot appear blurry a long time
Pools infos take a long time to be visible too

view photos

flyfishermike says:

Somewhere in this 400+ message mess is probably an answer to my question but I don't have time to read it all. I have a MAC. What browser level for MAC does Flickr support? If I upgrade or get a computer with that level, will I be able to use Flickr as I have or will I be using the Beta version? Money doesn't grow on trees and I sure don't want to waste any if the result will be something I don't want in the first place. Can someone on the Flickr staff please give me straight, honest answers? I want to use Flickr like I did two days ago!

view photos

The Searcher says:

coupe1942: You need to make sure to turn off or remove any browser "add-ons" that you may have been using. The add-on that allowed people to use the "old" version of Flickr works by tricking Flickr into thinking you're using an old browser. Which would make that "you need a new browser" message still appear.

Add-ons that affect display or layout could also make your new browser or Flickr not work properly. So I'd check that first.

view photos

jdyf333 says:

coupe1942:

coupe1942:

"so paying customers get what they paid for"

As kmacgray noted, all us Flickr users have agreed to Flickr's TOS, which means that Flickr "can pretty much do what they want with their website".

Each year I have paid Flickr for a Pro account. Flickr DEFINITELY has the legal right to do what they have just done, which is to accept my payment and then refuse to allow me to upload, refuse to allow me to view my high-quality uploads, refuse to allow me to download my pictures, and refuse to allow me to comment or communicate via Flickrmail.

(Oh well. I could not resist one more comment, even though I said I was through...)
jdyf333 edited this topic 51 months ago.

view photos

The Searcher says:

flyfishermike: There is no "beta" version. There is just the main site. it is no longer being tested, and hasn't been for over a year ("beta" is a label for software when it's being tested). The main site is the only version anyone can see or use anymore. So if you upgrade to a new browser (you shouldn't need a new computer, just a new browser) you will only ever see the main site. You will never see the old deleted site version ever again. It's gone.

view photos

BeesPollinate says:

In case this might help someone out there.....I have 2007 Vista and updated with Chrome....I am able to use Flickr again. Heading to bed...it is late by my standards...LOL. Will get back online tomorrow to verify that I can do everything I use to be able to do....

view photos

Hurricane Greg says:

The Searcher:

Even if only 1-2% of users are affected, that's still likely millions of users that Yahoo has decided to throw out the window. And I don't see any other popular sites arbitrarily blocking browsers in such an elitist, authoritarian manner. They may display notices, but they at least have the courtesy to allow you to continue browsing. Not to mention the "redesigned" photo page which started this whole fiasco was completely unnecessary and is a step backwards in usability. Just another example of change for the sake of change. Gotta keep those busy-bodied web developers employed.

view photos

eagle1effi says:

Hurricane Greg:

fine statement!

off for today!

effi

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Hurricane Greg:

And I don't see any other popular sites arbitrarily blocking browsers in such an elitist, authoritarian manner.

It's not arbitrary.

Here's Google's statement regarding their Gmail browser support policy: support.google.com/mail/answer/6557?hl=fil&ref_topic=...

*They only support the current and prior major release version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari. Anything else and they redirect you to basic HTML (i.e. missing features, etc).

Here's 500px's browser requirements....again, they recommend modern browsers because they use "state of the art web technologies:"
support.500px.com/hc/en-us/articles/204700387-Supported-B...

Hell, recently I was not able to upgrade to the latest Comcast (cable TV) innovation for my home entertainment center because my receiver was too old, and Comcast simply did not support it because if it had to run on the outdated system, then they could not deliver the new innovation to the masses. Simply put, my only two choices were to either not have the service or buy a new receiver.

view photos

Rainman1943 says:

Why do you hate you subscribers?

We pay for this service.

Rainman

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

my receiver was too old

YouTube began (on 20 April) displaying a "your device is too old" message on every video that I tried to view through my AppleTV. Turns out that my AppleTV is now too old for the new version of the YouTube app and my only option is to buy a new AppleTV.

Oh, and our TV itself is now too old (it had a built in youtube app that we never used because we had the appletv).

C'est la vie. Times move on.

view photos

Rainman1943 says:

Or, to put it another way imagine if Ford or General Motors just said "screw you guys"...if you don't want to buy our product go pound sand!"

Half or your customer base is on Mac and Android and we can't use Flikr (I'm just guessing on the statistics, but I hope you'll get my point).

That makes no sense at all!

Are you insane!!!!

Rainman

view photos

Blythe Quake says:

I agree that this hideous screw-up is unconscionable. Plus, the 'you are using an unsupported browser' announcement remaining STRUCK FROZEN on the screen. I think FLICKR is giving horrible service. Truly awful, indifferent, technologically backwards crap.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

Rainman1943:

Half or your customer base is on Mac and Android and we can't use Flikr (I'm just guessing on the statistics, but I hope you'll get my point).

Staff posted above the browser stats from last year if you don't want to guess. code.flickr.net/2015/03/04/browsers-in-2014/ You'll find that only a small percentage of users are using unsupported browsers. Nowhere near half.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Rainman1943: Actually it would be more like if you drove a Ford or GM that still used regular gas, and the last gas station stopped selling it, forcing everyone to use unleaded. You know, like they did.

Or like when they shut off analog broadcast television in the U.S., moving exclusively to digital broadcast. People either had to buy a new tv ("new" circa 2007 or so) or get a digital antenna. Anyone who felt like clinging to their old analog televisions could still use them, they just couldn't see anything broadcast over the air anymore.

"Half or your customer base is on Mac and Android and we can't use Flikr (I'm just guessing on the statistics, but I hope you'll get my point)."

And you're completely wrong, like couldn't be MORE wrong, so maybe "just guessing" hurts your point instead of helps. If you read this link Matthew (staff) put out hours ago, it enumerates in detail, actual facts, no guessing required, exactly what computer systems and browsers Flickr's users use.

code.flickr.net/2015/03/04/browsers-in-2014/

There is a very very small minority of users, those with browsers so old they can't functionally use the current site, who will have to get a newer browser if they want to use the site. VERY small percentage of users. it's not "half". It's not even 5%.

So no, I don't think they're insane, and it kind of actually makes sense.

view photos

MJI Photos (Mary J. I.) says:

Bit by bit my Safari is becoming less usable for anything. It already can't do youtube or anything related to flash. I personally liked it because it seemed to disable a lot of ads and annoying javascript that otherwise made certain pages less readable or completely blocked off.

Looks like major companies are trying to phase it out. Is there any option to update beyond version 5.1 on os snow leopard?

If I were to try to update my OS I'm worried about compatibility to my other programs like Photoshop CS5 (one of the last full versions available before I'd have to subscribe to their CC service which I cannot afford.
---

That said I do have the latest version of chrome. I guess I'll have to use flickr exclusively on it instead. But it functions too slow for me to really do much. I get impatient trying to load anything and am onto the next tab long before it ever finishes loading.

I am still annoyed about the crippleware they did to the images on my other browser. (purposefully damaging image resolution and providing no buttons to click, having to use the browser's back button to navigate...)

view photos

grannie annie taggs says:

Matthew Almon Roth:- on my laptop I have updated firefox but still have error- why?

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

grannie annie taggs:

Are you running any add-ons or scripts? There's one (popular among some flickr users) that tries to fool websites into thinking you have an older browser. That will cause your latest version to still be seen as an incompatible one. Check that.

view photos

Hurricane Greg says:

Get this: 30 javascripts and counting on the "new and improved" photo page. Pretty soon Yahoo will have this website so bogged down with fluff, the computers at Berkley won't be able to load it. 30 javascripts, to display a freaking photo. This is not "progress", this is bad design, plain and simple.

www.flickr.com/photos/hurricane_greg/17044677617/sizes/o/

Let's just hope Yahoo never starts making automobiles, or this will be our future:

cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/photo-car-1...

view photos

LibraSpirit Images says:

Hmmmm...same Stuff....different day....nothing new.

Older versions, so reliable, easy and fun to use that allowed the members to quickly view so many images is now gone.

The age old adage..."Who cares over there?" rings loud and clear....no changes that support all levels of users.

Besides, wouldn't the flickr folks in charge have better days if members didn't need to ride their backsides about all the above?

view photos

spuddie7 says:

My Opera browser is working fine today and was yesterday.

I'm running Vista and Opera is about the only one that works as I want it to on my computer. Like many other Flickr users I can't go out and buy a new computer tomorrow and wouldn't do anyway, there's nothing wrong with this one.

Couldn't you just stop all this rubbish and let us enjoy using Flickr again on whatever browser suits us and our machines. It would make life a lot better for loads of people.

I choose my browser not you.

You seem to have mended something that wasn't broken again.

view photos

kmacgray says:

spuddie7 (I choose my browser not you).:

I choose my browser not you.

But since it's their site, Flickr gets to say which browsers work best with it, and for the majority of users/members who visit/use it. Yes, this means some people are cut out, but this is the reality of the situation.

view photos

spuddie7 says:

kmacgray
But since it's their site, Flickr gets to say which browsers work best with it, and for the majority of users/members who visit/use it. Yes, this means some people are cut out, but this is the reality of the situation.

It was working fine before so why now?

What do the people, like me do who can't use another browser for one reason or another do? None of the other sites or other photo sharing ones I use tell me that I suddenly can't access them, because I'm running Opera.

I'm OK at the moment I can access Flickr without the "grass being greener" elsewhere. Obviously others can't and not all of them are running Opera. I enjoy sharing my photos on here and the interaction and communication I have with family, friends and my contacts. I wouldn't want to move elsewhere and don't want anyone telling me I should just because of the browser I choose to use.
spuddie7 edited this topic 51 months ago.

view photos

kmacgray says:

If people cannot or are unwilling (this is often the case) to use a modern, updated browser, then they will be stuck.

view photos

LibraSpirit Images says:

When you can become "comfortable" in one way or another with what is going on....as we must, I guess, then being here is less troublesome. By being "comfortable" means that one is aware the the decision makers do not really care about the flood of comments and concerns...for they know that, like the storm tide, it will fade and they can go back to their peaceful and secluded space where they once again will change something and it all begins anew.

Been here, seen that....and we viewers never win.

view photos

spuddie7 says:

kmacgray

If people cannot or are unwilling (this is often the case) to use a modern, updated browser, then they will be stuck.

It's not that I wouldn't change, if I had to, it's that I had dreadful problems with both Firefox and Chrome and there isn't much else that Vista will work with.

view photos

Linda DV says:

FIXED ???? no way, I still get the grass is greener message

What's all this shit about getting a newer safer browser.
When i click the link I get a message: congratulations you're using the latest version.

So, if there's no greener grass available, don't give me the message.
Linda DV edited this topic 51 months ago.

view photos

Manfred 960 says:

To Mr Roth:
Your text:
"!We support the latest Chrome, latest Firefox, Safari 6+, IE 10+, and Opera 15+. Older versions (such as Opera 12) are often not supported by the companies that originally wrote them. It's standard and good practice to use a modern, secure version of a browser. We have to optimize for the majority of users and can't support all cases"

Let me recap:
1. You want us to use Firefox; my friend downloaded Ver. 37.0.1, 4 days ago (no add-ons). It does not work!!! You cannot see your Photostream, cannot get into any Album, cannot open any photo; all you get is those silly red and blue balls, ad infinitum. You do not even get your silly browser banner. Did you actually test it with Firefox?

2. "..use a modern and secure browser secure": IE is full of holes (Swiss cheese comes to mind) and is regarded as the worst browser for security. Do YOU use it for shopping on the Internet?

3. Opera (up to 12.17) is the most secure browser and the most standard one; the others all contain non-standard code.

4. You are deliberately shutting Opera-12 users (and many others if you read the messages) out by introducing non-standard code. Why??? Are you down-sizing Flickr? If you cut out all these other browsers, you will half your business, according to your own stats.

It looks to me as if somebody is forcing your hand to make us move to Chrome. Who and Why? CIA, NSA, Home Security, FBI, Marissa etc.??? How much input did the security agencies have in the creation of Chrome? It is well-known that Chrome makes snooping much easier, and increasing the amount of Java script makes everything less secure for us, the people who provide the photos (the basis of your business), and for your customers.

Professional users are not going to change from XP or 2000, and I cannot blame them. Vista is slow and forever rattling your hard disk, while Win 7 does not clear its memory and can come to virtual standstill. Don't even mention Win 8; it is pathetic and a byword for utter rubbish.

The first step is to get rid of that silly "browser banner". If you do not, I will make my photos only visibile to Friends and Family.

view photos

Beautification Syndrome says:

Pretty much explains Yahoo's need to upgrade browsers (and it's not an issue of users having to do it):

www.maxthon.com/blog/the-browser-war-in-2015-part-1-big-t...

view photos

BeesPollinate says:

Okay....so my ole' computer browser is updated and Flickr is available....however, it is no longer easy to use.....Yikes! Feel like I have to take a class just to view images/download now....Flickr asks for feedback with their new look....hope they will listen. Yeppers, Chrome was the only browser that my computer would accept....I am concerned about that, but will only use it when I go into Flickr...nothing else.

view photos

spuddie7 says:

Beautification Syndrome

Pretty much explains Yahoo's need to upgrade browsers (and it's not an issue of users having to do it):

Thank for the link most interesting. :)

view photos

Blythe Quake says:

The idea that there is only a problem for "5%" of users "with browsers so old they can't functionally use the site" is a crock. I was 'using the site' fine until a few days ago. FLICKR was then MADE by techno-dummies who don't really seem to know or care what they have done to be minimally usable to many users. And many people comment that they only got their use back to what it was by trying out a computer with an OLDER browser. This whole mess is really so sadistic, inept, and insane-frustrating to put it mildly!

view photos

Niko S90 says:

I suddenly can't access them, because I'm running Opera.

It looks as if Opera 12.17 still works better than FF 37.01.
FF 37.01 does not load my photo stream or any of my albums.
(No add-ons.)
I definitely recognize Google influence here.
Why does flickr insist on this stupid browser message?
Many of us know that older browsers might not display the website correctly, buts this is no reason to block them.
Opera 12.xx is the safest, fastest browser I could find.
It is still sticking to the standards set by IE designed to kill-off Netscape.
The "rogue" browsers like FF, Safari, Chrome and the new Opera 15 +++ do not abide by the IE standards which have been accepted.
Everyone who knows a bit of CSS, knows that the programmer has to add extra lines for these non-compliant browsers:
-moz- for FF (-moz-transition: width 2s;)
-webkit- for Safari and Chrome (-webkit-transition: width 2s;)

There are only a few exceptions for Opera 12.xx
e.g. "-o-transition: width 2s;"
(standard would be "transition: width 2s;")

There are only few CSS properties Opera 12.xx cannot handle.
e.g. 3D properties.

But, it is work and people are lazy.
(Sometimes just unwilling or incompetent.)

It is not that difficult, even I could probably do it, and I am not even a web programmer.

I found this on "http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_transition.asp", and they will not block any browser even if they might not like it.
Niko S90 edited this topic 51 months ago.

view photos

spuddie7 says:

Niko S90
It looks as if Opera 12.17 still works better than FF 37.01.

I'm sticking with what's working for me at the moment and that's Opera...28 or 2.8 not sure which the tecky term is.

view photos

Thanks this also might explain Yahoo's push to only allow the most up to date browsers on Flickr:

www.ibtimes.com/search-wars-are-back-how-yahoo-microsoft-...

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Beautification Syndrome:

???

Flickr supports Chrome (made by Google) just as much as Firefox. And they DON'T support old Chrome or Firefox browsers either.

What does that article have to do with not supporting old browsers?

Sorry if it's in there and I missed it, I started skimming after a while....

view photos

Niko S90 says:

All my photos are now invisible to the public.
(visible to friends only)

No support for old browsers, no photos.

view photos

Niko S90 says:

Opera...28

The new Opera versions, 15 and above, use the the Google Chrome engine "Blink" (based on WebKit).
Just making sure that you know.
I will not use the new Opera because of it.
Just ask yourself, "Do I trust Google?"

I am using Opera 12.17 (no longer available) and it seems to work better than Firefox 37.01.
FF 37.01 does not even display my photostream or the album list.
FF 37.02 has only just come out. (the last 4 or 5 days)
Niko S90 edited this topic 51 months ago.

view photos

spuddie7 says:

Niko S90

The new Opera versions, 15 and above, use the the Google Chrome engine "Blink" (based on WebKit).
Just making sure that you know.
I will not use the new Opera because of it.
Just ask yourself, "Do I trust Google?"

Not sure who to trust these days, but if my computer works, I can search the Web and maybe access Flickr, I'll put up with Google. ;)

As an after thought if I'm running Google Chrome under the disguise of Opera why am I being asked to change my browser, please?!!
spuddie7 edited this topic 51 months ago.

view photos

LibraSpirit Images says:

Looks like we need to make do...

I read somewhere here recently that some viewers "abused" those on flickr who are part of these changes, including volunteers.

It wasn't the viewers who started all of this, thus putting volunteers in an unhappy place; it was the establishment and their changes who did and inadvertently placed volunteers who try to help in the line of fire. Place the "blame" at the feet of those who earned it and it is not at the viewers/members.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Niko S90:

Many of us know that older browsers might not display the website correctly, buts this is no reason to block them.

They need to provide support and allocate resources to provide help for those older browsers. It's a business decision -- why pay someone to support an old, insecure browser used by a small fraction of people using the site. It's makes more business sense to simply stop supporting those browsers and allocate resources towards supporting browsers used by the majority of users.
You can choose to continue to use those browsers, they chose to allocate resources elsewhere.

view photos

crescentsi says:

Such a shame Flickr have done this, There is a similar (small) message on Deviant Art, but it doesn't stop me from using the site as I usually do. So I have to buy a new computer to access flickr! I would have hoped that they could have managed to provide a better solution than that! Pathetic!

view photos

coupe1942 says:

Ok, I have downloaded each of the suggested browsers that flickr green screen seems to suggest. None of them have done anything toward allowing me to download or link my photos in my albums as I was previously able to do. What is the fix for this so that I can indeed get my service back again? None of the various browsers have done anything to correct the problem, except firefox worked for about a half day and then I got the same greenie messaging again that the system seems to see I have a non-supported browser. Does the staff here also work for the government Obama Care agency or do they actually have a plan in the works to fix the problem they themselves have created?

I don't mind going to a different browser, but I'd sure like to know just which one I am supposed to go to, since none of the ones they suggest seem to work properly to resume service as it used to be. As a paying conusmer, I would have thought that they would have notified customers as to this change prior to instituting it out of the blue and it failing miserably for many.

When will a fix be available?

view photos

coupe1942 says:

kmacgray:

That is really silly, as not all the same comments are included into one thread and many are lost because of it. Frustration and dissatisfaction by those using flickr is something the company should take to heart. Problems this big give the place a real bad feeling by many. It is a shame when they jump the gun and make changes without notification to those who pay for their service. The browsers they suggest do not work for everyone who tries them. That is a real problem.

I hope they get this worked out to where everyone can indeed get back to posting photos and linking them as they use to do and not yammering about this problem instead.

view photos

Studio Erotique says:

Great opportunity for Google or MSN to have a picture sharing site where all are working and welcome, flickr is fast becoming unusable by the masses, I'm sure worldwide people cant pay the price to get new computers so Flickr shortsightedness will work

view photos

The Searcher says:

coupe1942: It sounds like you were using the remnants of the old Flickr site, and now are kind of thrust into this "new" Flickr, which for most people is over a year old now. So yeah there will likely be a bit of a lonely learning curve, since most folks went through the learning process together last year.

All of the features you used before are still here (with a few exceptions, like "notes"), they are likely just in a different place or under a different link or icon. Just start clicking on stuff and see what it does. The "Share" menu is now an icon with an arrow coming out of a box, usually to the right of the page. To download images there's an icon at the far right that has an arrow pointing down.

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

Studio Erotique:

Google have a very similar set of supported browsers.

view photos

John Frattura says:

Beautification Syndrome:

Thank you for providing the link:
www.maxthon.com/blog/the-browser-war-in-2015-part-1-big-t...

view photos

kmacgray says:

coupe1942:

As a paying conusmer, I would have thought that they would have notified customers as to this change

Not sure why you thought that. That's never been a feature of any paid account.

Which browser and what version are you still having trouble with?

view photos

bad_juju2 says:

Mac 10.6.8 here. Everything I do on the internet has to be within the limit of 300MB a day.

Using Chrome, I can look at "photos from" and open the images I want to see closer or comment on in a new tab. (I actually like to READ what people take the time to write in their captions.)

How do I then get to a contact's photostream (the little thumbnails) to see more of their photos without opening their photostream which uses too much data?

Thanks in advance.

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

bad_juju2:

(the little thumbnails)

You mean this page?

www.flickr.com/photos/63753222@N03/?details=1

For yourself you can click on "Edit" above your photostream, for other photostreams you can add ?details=1 to the photostream URL.

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 51 months ago.

view photos

bad_juju2 says:

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots:

SHHHH! Don't remind them of that suffix, in Opera I have several hundred links on my speedial with that suffix. Somewhat unusable now.

No, I'm talking about the photopage in Chrome. If I enter it by opening a contact's photo in a new tab from the "photos from" link, the thumbnails under the photo are all from my various contacts. If I want to get to more thumbnails from that particular contact on the photopage I just opened in the new tab, without going to their photostream, I don't know how. I think it's a shortcut?

Thanks!
bad_juju2 edited this topic 51 months ago.

view photos

marshalljn23 says:

Andre Bogaert....ishootpeople.uk:

I have the same problem with IE9. So have just upgraded to IE11 but it's still the same!

view photos

bad_juju2:

The only thing I can think of is the "X per person" link, on the "Photos from" page, top left, where you can choose how many photos per contact you wish to have displayed on that page.

If you mean something else then I may be too dense to pick up on it, which is not unthinkable...

view photos

bad_juju2 says:

No, I'm late for an errand so I'm trying to rush and I'm not putting it plainly.
I'll ask again later with illustrations.

But in my mind it's a missing feature in the newest photopage.

Thanks!

view photos

The title of this says "fixed" .....Nothing's fixed on my end?

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

Lorencz Photography:

It says fixed because the bug was that the latest version of some browsers was displaying the 'old browser' message. That is no longer the case, so the bug has been fixed.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Lorencz Photography: Are you using a current browser? And have you made sure to turn off any add-ons or extensions that you may have been using to alter Flickr's display? Those are the first two things to check.

Any older browsers, or browsers made to appear old (like to view the "old" version of Flickr) will now display this message permanently.

view photos

eagle1effi says:

Lol
fix - ed
Click here.

view photos

softfurn Susan says:

Firefox worked for me yesterday. Now it keeps telling me to get rid of cookies and won't let me get onto the site. I am using Vista. If I look at Flickr via IE I can't leave comments or see who made a pic a favorite, or see comments. This has been going on for weeks.

view photos

eagle1effi says:

True
1981 Internet functions like this, too.
By editing the URL! !

view photos

LibraSpirit Images says:

Firefox works well with Windows 7 and flickr. It's the loss of efficient commenting/awarding through an old app that I miss. That's all, if one were asked to speak of one thing that is important not to lose.

view photos

The Searcher:

I'm using Safari 5.1.10 I'm a little lost what to do as to what I have to change to get my Flickr working like it did before this week?

view photos

crescentsi says:

Not fixed for me either!! Vista using IE 9.

view photos

crescentsi says:

I get the impression Flickr staff are not very keen to help.....

view photos

crescentsi:

Vista using IE 9.

Vista is compatible with the latest Chrome and Firefox, try downloading them to your machine.

view photos

The Searcher says:

crescentsi: IE 9 is not a supported browser. You need a current version of IE or Chrome or FIrefox. IE 9 will never again work properly with Flickr.

Lorencz Photography: Safari 5 I'm pretty sure is not a supported browser. If your machine can't get a newer version of Safari, it should be able to get a current version of Chrome or Firefox. You'll probably have to install one of those to access Flickr properly again.

view photos

The Searcher:

You need a current version of IE

Vista is not compatible with IE10.

view photos

Lorencz Photography:

I'm using Safari 5.1.10 I'm a little lost what to do as to what I have to change to get my Flickr working like it did before this week?

You need Safari starting from version 6, see this staff comment:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157652121510265/page4/#...

view photos

The Searcher says:

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots: That's why I also suggested Chrome or Firefox. With the myriad systems and versions whirling around in here I think the owner is best suited to figure out what their system can or can't support. In most cases the older systems that (ironically) no longer allow upgrades to their own browsers, will still allow at least one other current browser to be installed.

view photos

bad_juju2:

But in my mind it's a missing feature in the newest photopage.

I think I get it: you may be meaning the contextual filmstrip, of groups and Albums which used to be on the far right on the photo page, like so. where it says "Your photostream" and below "This photo also appears in" (then below that are the filmstrips for Groups and Albums) --

REPLACE

view photos

Thank you. Sadly I guess this is the end for my Flickr experience. I'm not gonna spend another $1500 for another computer that will be deemed "unsafe" or useless in 2 years. Sad the way things are going now days. It is sad because I do/did like Flickr very much, it was my 'comfort' site and my way of expressing the artistic side of me.

view photos

The Searcher:

That's why I also suggested Chrome or Firefox

User had already said they ran Vista, so then anything higher than IE9 would be moot.

view photos

The Searcher says:

If you say so. I think I'll continue with my more generalized yet consistent methodology, if for no other reason than to give you something to do.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Lorencz Photography: have you tried seeing if a current version of Chrome or Firefox will work on your computer? Even a decade-old computer should still run the latest Chrome or Firefox in most cases.

view photos

Not everyone is so in love with Chrome or Firefox.

view photos

Shein Die says:

coupe1942:

I feel as you do ... since I was told my Safari browser 5.1 was 'unsupported' I could no longer use it to log into my flickr .. I was told to use Chrome (downloaded it) ... but Chrome won't let me log in either

view photos

Shein Die says:

yes, I read that and although Safari for my Windows 7 was newly upgraded I was told there IS NO version 6 for my computer ... so, I then installed Chrome as 'supported' (indicated by you) and still cannot log in to my EXISTING flicker www.flickr.com/photos/75184456@N04/

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

Shein Die:

Not being able to log in is a totally separate problem. What happens when you try?

view photos

Shein Die says:

softfurn Susan:

yes, agreed.

view photos

The Searcher:

I gotta agree with Beautification Syndrome, I've been using Safari flawlessly since Nov 2010. I have no desire to use Chrome or Firefox. My computer is late 2010, hardly a decade old. I don't like the precedent this is setting. YouTube tried this, but clicking "No Thanks" there means no thanks! And your experience on the site isn't changed. I'll give this fiasco a week, no result =total deletion permanently even in the future when I ultimately have to get a new comp. Sorry for the negativity

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

(401 to 500 of 878 replies in NOT FIXED So called "You seem to be using an unsupported browser")
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads