Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Staff: working on a fix] "Flickr Pro account – payment problem"
Latest: 20 hours ago

Current Discussion

Bad Panda constantly
Latest: 45 minutes ago
Need for a new account
Latest: 2 hours ago
My 3 first photos disappeared from my stream some 15 minutes ago!!
Latest: 3 hours ago
Abrupt "Your Flickr Pro account has been cancelled – account past due"
Latest: 5 hours ago
Missing group admins
Latest: 5 hours ago
malfunction selection window
Latest: 7 hours ago
Recent Activity
Latest: 8 hours ago
Double Billed on Pro Subscription
Latest: 8 hours ago
posting limits
Latest: 9 hours ago
Flickr Pro Subscription charged twice
Latest: 11 hours ago
FlickrIdeas offline?
Latest: 11 hours ago
Galleries: Can you reorganize the order of galleries?
Latest: 21 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Introducing the new Flickr Search

Flickr Staff

adstads PRO says:

Search is probably a key aspect of your experience no matter how you use Flickr. Today, we are thrilled to bring you a new and powerful unified interface to search for images, people, and groups.

We designed the new search to address much of the feedback you’ve shared with us, including dramatic loading and scrolling performance improvements and a new thumbnail view so that you can more easily scan results. The unified view now includes different sections for your albums, your photostream, people you follow, and the Flickr community. Our new advanced search options give you the ability to filter images by color, size, and orientation as well as more easily find active groups on any topic. Further, search results for people and groups are just one click away.

We have also been working on countless improvements to our search algorithms so that you see higher quality results for every search. Some of these enhancements are already live on the site, and many more will be coming out in the next few weeks. Perhaps more than any other feature, search is never finished -- with this new platform in place, we’ll continue our work to serve you the best results on Flickr for every search you can imagine.

You may access the new search as you have in the past: simply type a query in the search bar at the top of every page. As this is a Beta feature, we’ll be rolling it out slowly -- if you don’t see the new experience yet, search again soon! And if you have issues or feedback, we want to hear about them. Please share on this thread.

Additional features that will be added:
- You will have the ability to specify a custom image size when searching.
- Groups discussion searches will be updated to match the new design.
- The autosuggest panel that pops up to help you search on some pages today will be updated to work consistently across the site.

Known issues that will be fixed:
- You cannot right-click to open people and groups results in a new tab. [fixed!]
- The people and groups tabs are not as responsive to browser size as we’d like.
- You’re unable to comment directly on images.

(edit to add links to screenshots)
Posted at 11:26AM, 9 March 2015 PDT ( permalink )
adstads (staff) edited this topic 42 months ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20
(1 to 100 of 1,934 replies in [Official Thread] Introducing the new Flickr Search)
view photos

colonelvolestrangler says:

So the rumors were right, then. Search WAS being revamped.
Posted 42 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

ColleenM says:

Sticky please adstads?

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Neat! Is there a way to hide results from a specific user yet?

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

The new pages look great. I don't think I do "random" searching enough to know how well I like the improved algorithms.

We used to be able to sort the "People" results by order of Date Joined. Will that capability be returning?

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

mag3737:

We used to be able to sort the "People" results by order of Date Joined. Will that capability be returning?

And with the date listed, please?

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

The Searcher:

Neat! Is there a way to hide results from a specific user yet?

This. I really like everything else, but I desperately want to be able to hide not even only one but multiple users. And without it loading my search from the beginning, either. Without this feature, full-site search is painful to use.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

adstads:

I look forward very much to seeing this for real. I can't wait to search with thumbnails instead of the giant beasts that clog up the system..

I do hope it allows me to filter out the gazillions of "Internet Archive Book Images" that show up on nearly every search that I do.. I like to see photos, not gazillions of scans from uninteresting books that were printed yonks ago..

Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

Zeeyolq Photography PRO says:

adstads: The new improvements of algorithm seems to be not efficiency on the cities and country.
For example, if you search Paris, New Yor, Australia... many of the first many pictures match less than with the old version.

Otherwise, the new look is great. ;)

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

Lú_:

I desperately want to be able to hide not even only one but multiple users. And without it loading my search from the beginning, either.

+eleventymillion

This is the single biggest reason why I never search Everyone's Photos anymore.

view photos

Emmadukew PRO says:

Looks like it's going to be good :) haven't got it yet :(

Scarlet Pimpernel:
I've never "internet Archive Book images" (or not that I'm aware of!) - is it related to one of your friends or your search terms, or what??
From your description, I'm glad I don't get them, mind, I'm not complaining!

view photos

Lynn English PRO says:

Get me out of this horrid Beta version, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

view photos

Lynn English PRO says:

HELP! Out of Beta!!

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads PRO says:

Lynn English-catching up:

So sorry to hear you're having a bad experience, but I checked and you're not in the Search Beta test group, so I'm not sure how to help you. What is the problem you're having so we can try to assist? Perhaps you're asking about a different Beta?

view photos

www.toddklassy.com PRO says:

Significant new feature announced 9 hours ago and only 13 comments? I would say that's a resounding success.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

www.toddklassy.com:

Without knowing how many are in the beta, I'd say it's a little early to call.

view photos

FlyButtafly:

I would beg to differ. I've never seen a significant new feature roll out every having this few comments. Under any circumstance I would expect more comments.

view photos

Nionyn_ PRO says:

www.toddklassy.com:

Significant new feature announced 9 hours ago and only 13 comments? I would say that's a resounding success.

Maybe. Maybe not. Plenty of other possibilities spring readily to mind, such as:
It's nowhere near as significant to most people as it is to you...
There are few people who yet have access to the Beta...
Most people have given up on Flickr's search because it was so poor, and therefore haven't noticed any changes...
Hardly anyone uses the Help Forum any more...
Nobody cares...
;-)
Nionyn_ edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

That said, I do have one beef. I have come to dislike Flickr's definition of Interesting, especially when applied to system wide search results. It has essentially come to mean nothing at all, especially when it is offered without explanation.

It would be INFINITELY more useful, I think, if Flickr added the ability to also sort by Favorites. Or Views. Or Comments. Or Popular (some sort of algorithm combining Favorites AND Comments AND Views). But when there are 5000 search results and Flickr's definition of the most Interesting photo has only 16 Favorites, the enhanced search functionality loses some (ahem, a lot) of its luster for me.

view photos

Miami Good Life says:

I cannot wait to try this out. Been waiting for so long for this to start happening.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

www.toddklassy.com: Perhaps Flickr's Interestingness algorithm relies on more than just the counting of favorites or other such simple popularity measurements.

I for one, prefer to find images interesting on my own, based on the intrinsic pull of the composition and imagery on my soul, as opposed to deciding because some other people liked them that they must be interesting somehow. I mean, look at the stuff that often gets into Explore these days. Some of it is awesome, but a lot of it seems based more on people chasing some archaic instruction manual for how to win some internal recipe of favs, comments and waiting periods, and has little to do with the quality of the images themselves. 200+ favorites doesn't make something interesting, it often just means the photographer is an adept social manager.
The Searcher edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

necessary machine says:

You may access the new search as you have in the past: simply type a query in the search bar at the top of every page. As this is a Beta feature, we’ll be rolling it out slowly -- if you don’t see the new experience yet, search again soon! And if you have issues or feedback, we want to hear about them. Please share on this thread.

I still get the same search results as before no thumbnails etc.

view photos

The Searcher:

I for one, prefer to find images interesting on my own, based on the intrinsic pull of the composition and imagery on my soul, as opposed to deciding because some other people liked them that they must be interesting somehow.

I don't disagree with you, but Favorites, Views, and Comments are still a measure, especially in the absence of knowing what Flickr's own definition of Interesting means.

Also, I should remind you (and Flickr) that every stock photography website and many other photo sites allow users to search for images based on Popularity. The ability to sort by Favorites, Views, Comments, and/or Popularity would at least tell the user something. Interesting, I would argue, tells the user nothing...especially in its current format. All I am asking for is Flickr to give users the ability to search by those other measures.

And I'm not sure there's an accurate algorithm yet that would allow you or anyone else for that matter to instantly search by "soul."
www.toddklassy.com edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

John_Harrison:

You might not have the beta rolled out to you.

view photos

Mockduck PRO says:

adstads:

Am I being stupid? I don't see any obvious way to search for Creative Commons images. The search boxes from pages like www.flickr.com/creativecommons/by-2.0/ just take you directly to the main search page.

view photos

necessary machine says:

Lú_:

Could be right, hope it won't be long.

view photos

Sky Noir PRO says:

Brilliant! A clean efficient interface - a real time saver.

view photos

GeekShadow PRO says:

+1 Scarlet Pimpernel

it would be nice to be able to filter out some user....

view photos

ColleenM says:

Mockduck:

After you search for a term, in the upper right corner, click 'Advanced'

On the advanced page, look for 'any license' at the lower left.
Click the drop down menu to select a Creative Commons license

view photos

GeekShadow PRO says:

Is this also possible to be able to continue a search just like deviantART does ?
Eg :
www.deviantart.com/browse/all/?order=9&q=lego&off...

Because you can lose your search progress when the browser crash or when you close it :(

view photos

.anderson PRO says:

Really liking this new search so far...Thanks

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

www.toddklassy.com: I totally agree having a more robust/comprehensive list of search criteria would be great. I think the color picker advanced option is a good start. "Popular" would be a fine option too, either straight views or as you say a simple combination of views/favs/etc. There is a risk there however of self-fulfilling, basically if you can search by "popular" you end up making images artificially more popular because they're at the top of that search type.

But any options that expose more variety of the content on the site would be fine by me.

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads PRO says:

Mockduck:

Am I being stupid? I don't see any obvious way to search for Creative Commons images. The search boxes from pages like www.flickr.com/creativecommons/by-2.0/ just take you directly to the main search page.

Nope, you're definitely not being stupid!

If you look closely at your search results, you'll notice that they actually are respecting the CC license type you selected. However, the UI should reflect this, and it doesn't. Thanks for catching that; we'll fix it.

view photos

A30yoyo says:

I don't know if I'm in the beta group but can someone tell me
1) how many images per page are presented in the new search results?
2) are they justified or is there an 'md size' alternative?
3) does the display state at the top how many search results?

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

A30yoyo: Yes there are results counts for each result type (it puts your images at the top, then full site results). You can toggle between justified view and square thumbnail view, so results-per-page would vary widely (also more thumbnails per row depending on your browser window size). In the square thumbnail view I appear to have around 400 results before it ends with a "load more results" button.

view photos

amazingstoker PRO says:

adstads:

thumbnail view

thank $deity for that.

amazingstoker edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

amazingstoker PRO says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

I do hope it allows me to filter out the gazillions of "Internet Archive Book Images" that show up on nearly every search that I do.

you can do that fairly easily now, you just need to add
&eui=126377022@N07
to the end of the search URL

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi PRO says:

A30yoyo:

I don't know if I'm in the beta group but can someone tell me

You would definitely know if you are in the beta test - it's completely different. The OP did not include a screen shot of the "advanced" search query screen, but that specifically is unlike anything that has been seen on Flickr thus far.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

BUG/Error: I was on the group recent activity page, and typed "dinosaur" (without quotes) in the search box, chose "Your contacts" and got this message:

Description: Could not connect to the server "pprd1-node308-lh1.manhattan.bf1.yahoo.com".

ETA: NVM. I just realized I had opted out of the beta search the last time I used it, so it doesn't apply to this thread. Still, annoying. ;) I'll try in the beta and see if it works.

ETA2: it worked in beta search. No idea why it didn't when opted out. Anyway, carry on. ;)
FlyButtafly edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

G.M Photography says:

I like the over design, but I feel the search page of the groups is a bit overcrowded now when compared to the old on. Too much stuff on one page and I feel a bit lost among all the different choices presented at once.

Also I would suggest removing "Your groups: on the top of the page. They are already presented on the /groups page and here they only add to to the whole mess.

Cheers.

view photos

decembre says:

should be possible to search inside our own favorites (shots fav by me) from a particular user ?

view photos

avtost PRO says:

clicking on a thumbnail in the search gives a 404 page, but right clicking and open on new tab works ok

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads PRO says:

avtost:

clicking on a thumbnail in the search gives a 404 page, but right clicking and open on new tab works ok

I can't reproduce this -- I suspect this was a momentary network glitch. Can you please try again and let us know if this persists?

Does anyone else see this behavior?

view photos

Jamie Kitson PRO says:

Love it! Fantastic work!

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

amazingstoker:

you can do that fairly easily now, you just need to add
&eui=126377022@N07
to the end of the search URL

Thanks for that workaround ..It does look very cumbersome though...

adstads:

I would also like to be able to filter out "A - Bristol Street Directory" too.. They also come up on nearly every search ..
www.flickr.com/search/?sort=relevance&text=Bristol%20...

Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

Jamie Kitson PRO says:

Not being able to see the full group name is annoying. How about adding a tool tip style hover hint?

view photos

Jamie Kitson PRO says:

In fact I would like to search groups just on title. I don't know why most of the results are being returned.

view photos

neilalderney123 says:

I don't "hate" it but I hate this "make it work like a phone" trend.. But anyway, I know it won't go away...
Anyway the issue I DO have is that I often do a search in my OWN images to take a link to post in social media, .. NOW the links are HUGE
Like this
www.flickr.com/search/?sort=relevance&user_id=1755997...
(edit The post truncates the text of the link , but it looks like this https //www.flickr.com/search/?sort=relevance&user_id=17559979%40N00&view_all=1&text=samyang&view_type=justified )

As opposed to the OLD link like this
www.flickr.com/search/?w=17559979@N00&q=alfred

The OLD link still works ( thank god! but for how long?
Why put all that in the URL? It will certainly lend itself to people "fiddling" with the options ( I know I will!)
neilalderney123 edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

Maneesh Foto PRO says:

adstads:

Additional features that will be added:
- You will have the ability to specify a custom image size when searching.
- Groups discussion searches will be updated to match the new design.
- The autosuggest panel that pops up to help you search on some pages today will be updated to work consistently across the site.

Are you going to do anything regarding Place related search?

www.flickr.com/places/India/Meghalaya/Dawki
Hmmm...
"Dawki" in "Meghalaya, India" doesn't appear to exist on this planet.

www.flickr.com/search/?text=meghalaya%2Bdawki

view photos

lhl PRO says:

I was trying to find one of my photos today and it looks like there's no way to filter photos by a person anymore. I have thousands of photos in Flickr, and one of my big use cases for search is to find one of my own photos.

I'm ok w/ it being deprecated to an Advanced Search option (in the old search, as a pulldown option, I'd use it for at least half of my searching), but it'd be nice if the functionality existed.

In the meantime, is there a Vespa syntax, like "user:me" or something like that I can add in the search box?

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

lhl: The new search should put results for your photos first at the top, separated from the global search results. Are you not seeing that? Every search should include results for yourself first.

You can also still use the Organizr to perform searches on just your own content.

view photos

Flickr Staff

ericsoco PRO says:

neilalderney123:

URLs are contracts. We don't plan to ever make it stop working. If you prefer the old URLs, you can stick with em!

view photos

Flickr Staff

ericsoco PRO says:

lhl:

Vespa syntax...you're outing yourself, Leonard!
You can definitely filter by person if you know their username or ID.

e.g.
flickr.com/search/?sort=relevance&user_id=erics...

or
flickr.com/search/?sort=relevance&user_id=34427...

If you search for a search term that has some of your photos in the result, and you click the "View all N" link on the right, you'll see that user_id param added to the URL. Same thing.

We have plans to improve searching within a particular scope or context, but existing UI and URLs should all still function properly. (If they don't, let us know!)
ericsoco (staff) edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

neilalderney123 says:

ericsoco:
Thanks for the reply.
I just would prefer to copy the URL rather than write a custom one each time to keep it small..
I think that fact that the discussion here is all civil and not filling up like a rocket means that THIS is a pretty successful rollout of a heavily used feature, so congrats for that!
Nothing like the (ahem) ...issues... we have seen in the past LOL!

view photos

Vagabond Jack says:

My group search is not working

view photos

Vagabond Jack says:

My group search is not working

view photos

ColleenM says:

Vagabond Jack:

What happens when you try?

Are you starting from this page, or from a different page?

view photos

necessary machine says:

If a member of the Flickr staff is reading this could you please tell me when the new beta search will be fully available as I'm still on the old system search.

view photos

Flickr Staff

ericsoco PRO says:

neilalderney123:

Your point is well taken. We'll see what we can do to shorten up the URLs a bit.

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads PRO says:

Jamie Kitson:

In fact I would like to search groups just on title. I don't know why most of the results are being returned.

You can do that! We look at lots of information about the group, including its content, to help you find a relevant one based on your search. But if you want to match only on the group's name, just choose "Name" from the dropdown in the top right corner (instead of "Relevant").

view photos

Cardiff Boy 2 says:

Disaster. No way to search for photos in my own collection, which is what I am trying to do 95% of the time. I thought that if perhaps I clicked on the 'Your Photos' heading it would open in another page, but no. Nor do the additional filters allow me to search my photostream.

I need to be able to design a search term that will select one or more pictures form my collection only, and then be able to share the URL with a blog, tweet or email.....

If I share the Beta search results, under my photos of a friend named Sheila, there may be porn images of another Sheila (NOT a hypothetical example).

Luckily I found how to revert to the old search which wasn't great, but did have this essential feature. But for how long will it be available?

I don't want to have to move thousands of images elsewhere, but thisi really is a deal breaker for me.

view photos

Rob Swystun says:

I don't like the fact that you have to go to the advanced search options to search for CC licenced photos. Beyond that, it works fine. My only suggestion is to put the licence options on the results page like the old one. Otherwise, this doesn't save any more time for me and doesn't make things any easier, it just looks pretty, which is not what an update should be about.

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads PRO says:

Cardiff Boy 2:

Disaster. No way to search for photos in my own collection, which is what I am trying to do 95% of the time. I thought that if perhaps I clicked on the 'Your Photos' heading it would open in another page, but no. Nor do the additional filters allow me to search my photostream.

I need to be able to design a search term that will select one or more pictures form my collection only, and then be able to share the URL with a blog, tweet or email.....

If I share the Beta search results, under my photos of a friend named Sheila, there may be porn images of another Sheila (NOT a hypothetical example).

Luckily I found how to revert to the old search which wasn't great, but did have this essential feature. But for how long will it be available?

I don't want to have to move thousands of images elsewhere, but thisi really is a deal breaker for me.

If I'm understanding correctly, everything you're trying to do should be possible. From the unified search results view, just click the "View all NN" link on the right side of the page (it sounds like you're instead clicking on the "Your photos" heading on the left side of the page). That gives you a URL you can share, and it only searches your own photos.

Please check it out and let us know if you have any troubles. What you're trying to do is definitely possible!

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Cardiff Boy 2: I just confirmed adstad's instructions and they seem to do what you want. Example URL of a search result of only my images:

www.flickr.com/search/?sort=relevance&user_id=5851591...

view photos

Jaedde & Sis PRO says:

It would be nice to have a thumbs version on search. Since you introduced the "justified" view only, way wide crops have infected flickr. It is hard to find the good photos sometimes. Squeezed in...

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Jaedde & Sis: have you tried clicking the little icon in the upper right that looks like little boxes? That switches to a thumbnail version for me.

Oh, sorry, unless you're opining it will be nice if you get to see the new beta. I forget they're trickling this thing out pretty slowly to users.

view photos

tdong77 says:

adstads:

I want to get the new Flickr search. Should I just wait until this new function come to me in near future? How do I get this? Does anyone help me out?

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads PRO says:

Jamie Kitson:

Not being able to see the full group name is annoying. How about adding a tool tip style hover hint?

Great suggestion. We added it. Thanks!

view photos

Flickr Staff

adstads PRO says:

John_Harrison:

If a member of the Flickr staff is reading this could you please tell me when the new beta search will be fully available as I'm still on the old system search.

tdong77:
I want to get the new Flickr search. Should I just wait until this new function come to me in near future? How do I get this? Does anyone help me out?

Please be patient! We want everyone to have the new search, too -- we'll get it to all users as soon as possible.

view photos

n_sazonov says:

add a min size 1920 px of the photos, PLEASE !!!

view photos

ctaklis says:

It's missing the "illustrations" search.

view photos

Steve-h PRO says:

Whatever about the beta version, my search attemt for Landscape produced no results....and that is nonsense. So do I assume the pre-beta search is not working at all.

view photos

sps1955 PRO says:

I don't have access to the Beta search yet. However:

1) I wonder if it will provide an explicit option to exclude results generated by the "hidden tags" that are added (apparently) as a result of pattern matching. See the discussion at www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157646354888629 . At the very least will we see an end to the tendency to treat results generated from the often inaccurate "hidden tags" as more relevant than results with matching titles or tags explicitly added by the user?

2) I wonder if there will be any other improvements to Flickr's concept of relevance. At the moment, if I search everyone's photos for "Paris", sorted by relevance, the seventh and eighth results are photos of Manhattan which happen to mention Paris in their long descriptions. One of them has over 100,000 views. Is this why it is thought to be so relevant to a search for Paris? I think Flickr's "relevance" algorithm should be less sensitive to the popularity of a photo, and give more weight to where a match occurs - a match in the title should have more "relevance" than one half-way through a very long description. Tags are more difficult to assess - some users tag carefully but in other cases users obviously tag whole batches of photos with all the tags that apply to any of them (so, if there's a photo of a church and a photo of a castle, every photo in the batch is tagged with "church" and with "castle").

view photos

Stewie1980 PRO says:

I'm not in the test group, but I would like to point out something (that is probable pointed out before) about the tags on the photopages and the link to the search pages.
When I click on a tag on someone's photopage I get to see a Flickr search page with everyone's photos, instead of only the photos of the member who's photo I was viewing. Like before the last big layout change.
Can this function be changed back?

view photos

Giant_Schnauzer PRO says:

sps1955:

In 100% agreement with this.

And why does putting " " around the search term(s) usually improve the quality of the results?

view photos

aalbertcharlss says:

compare to previous this one is fast and simple for me .... great and nice experience

Thank you ..

view photos

Mockduck PRO says:

ColleenM:

I think you're telling me about the old-style search?

view photos

ColleenM says:

Mockduck:

No, I'm describing the results screen for the new search feature.

There is a banner across the top of the search results. At th e right are two icons, to toggle between justified and matrix display of search results.

Then comes the drop down menu for the sort: relevant, recent, or interesting.

Then you have an icon and the word 'Advanced'. When you click that, you see some additional ways to search.

At the lower left corner of that newly displayed area, it will say "any license". Click the dropdown menu to select the kind of license you want to limit the search to.

view photos

Flickr Staff

ericsoco PRO says:

Steve-h:

my search attemt for Landscape produced no results....and that is nonsense

You're right! That is nonsense. We're only seeing this problem with searches specifically for 'landscape', and we're looking into it now. Please let us know if you find any other search terms that return no results.

view photos

jinxmcc PRO says:

never mind.
jinxmcc edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

ericsoco PRO says:

The 'landscape' bug should be fixed. Sorry about that.

Stewie1980:

We're looking into a good way to restore the functionality you described. Thanks for pointing that out!

view photos

Moyan Brenn says:

Moyan Brenn edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Moyan_Brenn:

Since many of us are paying for a PRO subscription (me too), i would have liked to read a more comprehensive response from the staff

Since search is available to all users, having a paid account is irrelevant and does not entitle pro members (I'm one too) to any extra level of service.

view photos

Moyan Brenn says:

thanks for clarifying it....
Moyan Brenn edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

J.T.R. PRO says:

I just tried it, was baffled that it had changed, and have found it to be so slow and clunky to use that I searched google for an explanation-and found this thread. As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke..."

view photos

Rob Swystun says:

It would also be helpful if the toolbar stayed pinned at the top of the page while scrolling instead of scrolling up with the photos and disappearing, if that's possible.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Moyan_Brenn: Do you have an example of an image that comes up in a "Paris" search that you believe should not? I ask because when I search "Paris" I do find photos of Manhattan in it, and one of Frankfurt as well. However all of them had "Paris" in the description text on the page. Before you blame the automated system, make sure your results aren't an effect of the actual text people are placing on their images first.

view photos

m.midnight says:

Love it! I've only tried the clicking on a tag from one of my photos, and presto, all the search results I need in a organized, neat and clean format. Thank you!

+1 to being able to negate multi-users in search. (And not have to restart back to the first page of that search item?)

:)

view photos

m.midnight says:

+1 to being able to read whole name of person or group which is now partially hidden by the follow or join button.

Edit: Or maybe not, I just discovered you can hover over them too to get the whole name.

view photos

Will Crovo PRO says:

When I am looking at photos the title will not appear in full at times, even when I hold my mouse over the photo. If the photo is small, you can not see the title at all without opening the photo.
In the old format I could glance through photos and see the entire title by just hovering my mouse.
Other than that, I really like the new format.

view photos

tdong77 says:

Hello.

Would you put me in Flickr Search (Beta)?

I've been actually working at Getty Images in Korea and using adobe Lightroom, google Picasa, flickr and dropbox Carousel for several years. I'm very glad to see Flickr's recent innovation work and would like ask you to put me in this beta tester for Flickr search. I'm dying to be in. I'll give Flickr team multiple feedback!!! Thanks for your help.
tdong77 edited this topic 41 months ago.

view photos

gparet PRO says:

Some (narrow portrait) justified search results don't display title or author. Truncated (...) titles no longer seem to have a tool tip style hover pop-up of the complete title. (It would be nice if the "by ..." did, too, but I don't think they did before either.)

Thumbnail view seems to have no titles, which are nice to see before selecting to display the image page, especially as the sides/tops can be clipped in thumbnails. Edit: On review, I see that some thumbnails do pop up a title, but some don't, and hovering over a truncated popped-up title does not display the whole title.

Though I've come to live with infinite scrolling in justified view, (but still wish all results were paginated,) I didn't expect it at all in thumbnail view.
gparet edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

Powell Gardens, Kansas City's botanical garden says:

Just accessed this today and at first glance is a HUGE improvement for our purposes. Thank you!

view photos

Panoramix999 PRO says:

i absolutely DISLIKE the new design BETA version i will delete ALL my pictures if this is the future of flickr !!!

Richard

view photos

Panoramix999 PRO says:

The Search is very slow ... results come up with completely different results than asked for .. and the main page for search damn i need specs all these little pictures .. bring back the big pictures ... i will not pay for this ..

sorry for the negative reply ..

richard

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Panoramix999: There is a toggle at the top right to choose between small square thumbnails and the larger justified images.

What was an example search that gave you unexpected results?

view photos

Tom Simpson PRO says:

The endless loading is painful... if I go to a photo and back, I have to wait a while when the browser figures out where I was at on my virtual page of results.

If my browser crashes, and I'm on what would have been page 10 of results, I have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll to find where I was at. If I had pages, I could go to page 3 of search results, page 7, etc, and jump back to where I was.

view photos

Panoramix999 PRO says:

Hi searcher yes i noticed the toggle but stil a lot of small thumbs .. i want to see it a lot bigger like it is now, when i searched for "bangkok" and recent ... i got a lot of flower and animal pictures ..

and after i take i close up of a random liked picture .. then sometimes i have to re-load the webbrowser ..

Richard
Posted 41 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Panoramix999: Re-loading of the search results after leaving the page to look at a photo page isn't new to this new design, that's how it worked before. With a lot of web browsing these days that load heavy image/dense pages, it's easier to open new pages in new tabs or windows (via right-clicking). That way your search result page stays right where you left it when you want to go back to it.

The results images definitely got smaller. But that was one of the primary complaints by users when the search page went to the new justified layout; images too big, takes too long to load, not enough results visible at once, etc. Unfortunately when Flickr listens to some users, it's often at the expense of others. I liked the bigger images too.

As far as your example search, "bangkok", I didn't get a lot of flower or animals. There were some flowers but they all had "bangkok" in the page text or tags. Generally single word searches are going to result in very random results no matter what. It's best to add more specific terms, like "city" or "streets" or "people", or whatever you're specifically interested in. That can eliminate the outliers very effectively.

view photos

ELDANS PRO says:

Well now, nobody can find me. For years searching for ELDANS under "people" showed only two in the search. Now neither me nor my pictures show up and I haven't changed anything in years! Not happy, This problem started this last week! Things found seem to only contain "ELDAN" without the "S" Of course I check all settings and they have not changed and are not the issue apparently! Not sure what to do now as I have published that searching for ELDANS under the people search will bring up my pictures, but now it doesn't anymore. I've also scanned pages for hours trying to find pictures by searching for eldans. No luck..

view photos

Panoramix999:

i absolutely DISLIKE the new design BETA version i will delete ALL my pictures if this is the future of flickr !!!

Rational.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20
(1 to 100 of 1,934 replies in [Official Thread] Introducing the new Flickr Search)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads