Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 9 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 2 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

Underscore of pronouns in Flickr Mail
Latest: 30 minutes ago
Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 54 minutes ago
Flickr Support?
Latest: 3 hours ago
notifactions going crazy
Latest: 5 hours ago
Pictures not showing up today?
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 8 hours ago
upload error
Latest: 8 hours ago
Will there be any Pro offers for Black Friday?
Latest: 9 hours ago
Is notifications a complete mess or am I missinng something?
Latest: 11 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Notifications - not showing older than 2hrs
Latest: 11 hours ago
Flickr is broken
Latest: 14 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Android App: Missing notifications
Latest: 17 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Introducing the new Flickr Uploadr for Mac (Beta)

Flickr Staff

jeffbargmann says:

Hot off the heels of today's Camera Roll beta release, we're also launching into beta the new Flickr Uploadr for Mac! This beta is limited to users in the Camera Roll beta, and is meant to help you fill up your camera roll fast. Invited users will see the download link at the top of their camera roll.

Things to know:
- All photos are uploaded as PRIVATE!
- Uploads all photos from the folders you select, and keeps watching for new files.
- De-duplicates. Will only upload an identical file once.
- JPEG, TIFF, PNG and GIF images are supported. Video not yet supported.
- Supports iPhoto, and will recreate your albums and custom-named events on Flickr.
- Creates an album for each folder uploaded.
- Auto-updates.
- Requires MacOS 10.7 or better.

Known issues:
- De-duplication detects exactly identical files, but does not detect files that are visually identical. I.e. photos that have been resized down, slightly edited or auto-rotated may appear as duplicates in your camera roll if both are uploaded. This is normal, and our camera roll will be updated in the future to handle this case.
- You may have to wait a bit at the step "Preparing your account for upload". This is normal, as we're preparing de-duplication data for the photos already in your account on our server. Your uploads will begin automatically once complete.
- "View on web" takes you to your camera roll by date taken, not by date uploaded.

We'd like your feedback, so please sound off on what went well and what didn't. Thank you!
Posted at 2:40PM, 17 December 2014 PST ( permalink )

← prev 1 2 3 4 5
(1 to 100 of 438 replies in [Official Thread] Introducing the new Flickr Uploadr for Mac (Beta))
view photos

Seaserpent.se says:

Flickr has improved a lot and with Camera Roll it made a huge leap forward. I was glad to see a message regarding the new Flickr Uploadr for Mac, saved me lots of time uploading the last 2000 photos from iPhoto and other folders. The new uploadr works perfect.

A big thanks to all the brilliant Flickr Staff.
Posted 85 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

second-hand voice says:

I hope there are no plans to remove the Old Uploader. I'm being selfish because that's the one I always use. Thank you .....

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

Mike (waiting patiently):

Throughout the years Flickr has always supplied more than one uploader, I assume to resort to the other should the one raise issues.

view photos

second-hand voice says:

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots:

Thank you ....
Posted 84 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

peralta.family says:

works great with iPhoto, over 4000 photos uploaded, multiple events (albums) no problem, nice job; just waiting for video support

view photos

daruma* says:

A question, please.

'From the people you follow' (the page of my contacts most recent pictures) is organised by the date an image is uploaded and not by the date it is made public. I assume, therefore, that I will only see people's latest public pictures if (i) they're also, coincidentally, the latest they uploaded or (ii) I visit their photostream?

If my understanding is correct, is there a change you can make to rectify this?

Many thanks.

view photos

marcusveerman says:

so glad to see these features coming out.

Just wondering how long until video support comes out and i will give it a go.

or, If I upload photos only now, in the future when video support is available, will i be able to do another full upload of all my photos and then the videos will be added and the duplicate photos left out?

thanks.

view photos

Oliver Beattie says:

I dismissed the notification in the Camera Roll by accident, but I still want to download the Uploadr. Is there some way I can get it back?

view photos

glossy wall says:

I am very disappointed the I can no longer stream my Flickr photos to Wordpress and will most likely find another platform. Why was this done if I may ask?

view photos

kmacgray says:

Vastly curious:

Your question isn't related to the subject of this topic, which is discussing the new desktop uploader, but to answer it, here's staff's statement on the matter:

[Official Thread] Welcome back HTML Embeds! Goodbye to some sharing options
www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157642307716514/

"Secondly, we are announcing that we are deprecating the support for our built-in sharing options for Wordpress, Blogger and LiveJournal on 3/25. Deprecating features is never an easy decision, but we have seen that all of these services combined are now adding up to less than one percent of daily share volume from Flickr."

view photos

Prabhakar Kasi says:

The tools seems to be working really good. It will be nice if the upload with some tags about the source folder.

For e.g., If I have included dropbox folder, iphoto, my pictures and folder x. If I want to organize images uploaded from only dropbox. How can I do that?

view photos

lorenzoviolone says:

Awesome!

view photos

heer2015 says:

If you'd like to include a Flickr photo or video in your reply, simply copy and paste its URL between square brackets, like so:
Posted 83 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

martian cat says:

I am on a Mac. But, I will still prefer to use the "Old Uploader".

view photos

donathanalicia says:

"All photos are uploaded as PRIVATE!"

Is there a way to change this?

view photos

truthful rail says:

Any plans to support Collections ? i.e. when I select a folder to upload, allow me to select which Collection the Sets it creates will go into

view photos

lopsided wind says:

I am very happy with this new feature. It saved me hours of uploading. Now I am just waiting for videos to be supported!

view photos

johey24 says:

Why is it that I am currently able to upload only 4 photos per day? Is it a glitch / temporary fault or what?

This is what happened: When I tried to post 10 photos, only 4 showed on the Loader. I tried this several times, refreshed, re-opened, turned comp on and off, still, it'd take only 4. So I loaded 4.

When I then went back to load another four, Loader refused to take any more, not even one more. The Loader screen simply remained empty???

Glitch or new rule?
johey24 edited this topic 83 months ago.

view photos

johey24 says:

Seems to be sorted now, so probably only a short term issue.

Thanks

view photos

Bossjanie :- Living is Loving.. Loving is living.. says:

Why can't I upload even a single photo. Says it's timed out.. Very annoying

view photos

Bossjanie :- Living is Loving.. Loving is living.. says:

Why can't I upload even a single photo. Says it's timed out.. Very annoying

view photos

scorsoft says:

Flickr Uploadr tells me that my iPhoto library contains 49 directories and 0 photo.
Why ?
I have thousand pictures in iPhoto, and the whole library is about 4Go (yes, it's a small one, but even that is not detected by Flickr Uploadr)

For info, I'm with Yosemite on macbook pro (all software latest updated)

view photos

carlosbob13 says:

scorsoft:

I'm having the same issue. Please let me know if you hear of a solution? Everything else is working perfectly.

view photos

martian cat says:

The Mac iPhoto uploader was here for a long, long time. And, I tried it a long, long time ago. While I was using it, I stopped using the Mac iPhoto uploader because I have photos that I wanted to keep for my own and not share on flickr.

The one thing that I noticed years ago was if you upload a photo using the Mac iPhoto uploader and tried to edit it, it would automatically revert to the photo that was uploaded from my Mac iPhoto library.

After I disconnected the Mac iPhoto uploader from my Mac I was able to edit photos easier and I started to prefer using the Old Uploader.

Will this Mac iPhoto uploader feature stop this automatic revert to the unedited photo that was uploaded?

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

This Mac uploadr is one way (it uploads photos). It doesn't change anything on your computer. It doesn't sync and change photos already on flickr either.

view photos

martian cat says:

I disconnected my Mac from the upload feature because I could not keep my updated, edited photos on-line. This was back at the end of 2009. They kept reverting to the original photo which was on my Mac.

Periodically, I have been asked if I would like to connect my uploader on my Mac and I always answer with something like a no thanks.

view photos

ernstkers says:

martian cat:

The Mac iPhoto uploader was here for a long, long time.

No it was not. You are confusing Apple software with Flickr software.

martian cat:
Will this Mac iPhoto uploader feature stop this automatic revert to the unedited photo that was uploaded?

This new Flickr uploadr for the Mac (made by Flickr) is something complete different as the sync feature of iPhoto (made by Apple). There is no relation between both.

This topic is NOT about an iPhoto uploader. The new Flickr uploadr can upload all photos on the Mac, included but not only the ones in iPhoto libraries. The iPhoto sync feature can only upload from the iPhoto library and keep the content on Flickr and in the iPhoto library equal.

view photos

photodittmer says:

how do i know if i'm in Camera Roll? if I'm not, how do I get into it? What I'm most interested in is avoiding duplicate uploads.

view photos

mcnod says:

photodittmer:

how do i know if i'm in Camera Roll? if I'm not, how do I get into it? What I'm most interested in is avoiding duplicate uploads.

If you are in the camera roll beta test you will see "Camera Roll Beta" as the first option in the "You" drop down menu, upper left of this page. If you are in the Beta, remember the new uploader is only available for Mac OS 10.7 (or higher) users at this point in time.

view photos

Camilo Arias says:

I am afraid I do not like it! It takes a lot of time to locate the photos even though I created a special folder in which I put them. Actually, it looks for the photos everywhere else. Opens automatically every time I start my computer and there is no way to turn it off. I even struggled to uninstall it easily because it kept on telling me that it was open. Very annoying! Sorry! I prefer using the online uploader: fast, simple, effective!

view photos

smooth account says:

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work at all for me (OS X Yosemite) - if I add my iPhoto Library I just get told that it contains 4 albums and no photos, when in fact it contains about 16 smart albums and over 15,000 photos!

view photos

Will E Clickit - no emojis/graphics in comments says:

jeffbargmann:

Beta means user beware, which I forgot in a rash moment of thinking that the parameters I had set regarding which file formats I wanted to include appeared not to have been active. The software was busily uploading files when all supported formats had been unticked. I just wanted the software there for the moment while I decided what I wanted to include and from where to access that content. So I have now quit the account and deleted the software from my Mac. What has been uploaded I don't know, but fortunately it was only a small amount of the many gb that were going to be. Not good enough boys and girls of Flickr. So called for-your-convenience automated software is a red flag to hackers. Somebody is giving it a try as we type, that is a given, so functioning user control would be nice. The lesson for me is to stay away from this sort of programme while in Beta and wait some time for the bugs to appear and be dealt while. I wish the many happy users well.

view photos

Pearl888 says:

Well, I don't like where this is placed on the dropdown list above Photostream.
Too easy to click on it by mistake.
Also a bit confused as to the additional advantage of this 'Camera Roll', being an old girl with this new tech..
At first was horrified as my first impression was I thought it was accessing all my private iPhotos which haven't been uploaded to Flickr, none of which are lewd, I might add.
But on further investigation, this doesn't appear to be the case…or is it ?
To upload my pics anyway, have just been dragging them on.
Prefer this old method and want to stick with it.
WillI still be able to do this ?
Pearl888 edited this topic 83 months ago.

view photos

zoesch says:

It seems that the original file name is not used for the TITLE of the picture any longer. Can this be changed or configured? This is essential for me.

view photos

LOM Glamour2013 (Please read Profile!) says:

New uploader is shocking...from what I can see, I can now no longer tag at the time of uploading, or place into albums. I would then have to go into organiser and do that...even though it could just be done at the time of uploading in the past. Foolishly just updated my old uploader with this rubbish. Will see if I can delete it and add the old one back.

view photos

scorsoft says:

Phil Arundell:Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work at all for me (OS X Yosemite) - if I add my iPhoto Library I just get told that it contains 4 albums and no photos, when in fact it contains about 16 smart albums and over 15,000 photos!

Same pb. Anyone has an idea ? (for info i'm using french version of iPhoto, and yosemite of course)

view photos

Frank.Erazo says:

I just tried to upload from my Mac (running Yosemite).

1) I did NOT want this app to just upload EVERYTHING.
2) I tried adding a specific event, and it would not upload it.

I would like to be able to upload one or two rather than my entire iPhoto Library.

view photos

vdub_er says:

Have tried to use the new uploader for Mac but can't login as keep getting 'The request timed out.' message. Using on Yosemite.

view photos

vdub_er says:

Found out it does not work with Safari, tried login in to Flickr with Firefox first then worked.

view photos

Buckambool Model Trains says:

I find it inconvenient how the Flickr Uploadr means that you bypass the traditional way of uploading photos which lets you easily edit descriptions, tags, and albums you want to distribute photos to. Once Flickr Uploadr uploads the photos you can't edit these features easily. Plus my image names are lost when I upload with Flickr Uploadr. Disappointed and expect better from Flickr, I expect many others are experiencing these difficulties?
Buckambool Model Trains edited this topic 83 months ago.

view photos

tombilske says:

It reports that there are 4 albums and no photos in my iPhoto library. I have a few thousand photos in my iPhoto library, and many albums.

I am running Yosemite 10.10.2 with the latest iPhoto, and nothing I do seems to make Flickr uploader recognise the photos in my library

view photos

hinkensj says:

Edit 2/9/15: Uploadr was updated to 1.0.1268 and viola! It now sees about 11,000 photos and uploading has begun!

Phil Arundell: "Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work at all for me (OS X Yosemite) - if I add my iPhoto Library I just get told that it contains 4 albums and no photos, when in fact it contains about 16 smart albums and over 15,000 photos! "

Ditto for me. It reports 75 folders and 0 photos. In fact I have many fewer folders and 12,000 photos.
hinkensj edited this topic 83 months ago.

view photos

quixotic move says:

hinkensj:

Got the same issue...
Pitty, I hoped to have found a good alternative to Apple's iCloud & Photos.

view photos

HGButchWalker says:

hinkensj:

Not seeing my iPhoto pics either

view photos

Duncan Wallace says:

jeffbargmann:

Looks like my first upload was mid 2003! Thanks for more than 10 years of great photo sharing!

What I really really want is a way to photo-blog, online magazine style. There was a brilliant site called photopedia (which closed unfortunately), where you could create stories with your photos, but it was heavily focussed on images (ie they would fill up most of the screen). If Flickr could do that, it would be way ahead of the competition. Albums are great, but stories with photos are even better.

Cheers
Duncan

view photos

J0N6 says:

This is HIGHLY disappointing. Where is the functionality? It's literally missing EVERY SINGLE aspect I found useful:
• drag and drop
• specifying the album(s) to upload to
• specifying private, visible to family, or public
• adding tags

What if I want to upload one or two photos to a specific album??? Apparently, I'd have to cordon those photos off in a separate folder (not simply drag them to the uploader).

I'm nonplussed to even be writing this. What in the world is the thought behind this?

It appears designed as a way to quickly fill up member's storage space through shear ham-fisted mass. No thought that members would actually care about selectivity of their own photos, albums, privacy level or tags---just provide the folders and--bammo--mass upload!! Incredible.

view photos

J0N6 says:

Please please provide a download link for the old uploadr!

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

J0N6:

What in the world is the thought behind this?

Exactly what it says:

"is meant to help you fill up your camera roll fast."

The idea is that you use Flickr as your entire photo file backup, without any extra effort on your part. Then, once the photos are on Flickr, you use the Organizr (and eventually the new Camera Roll) to sort through, put into albums, change privacy, add titles/descriptions/tags, etc.

It's in Flickr's interest to have you on-site; so it's moving to a system where you do all your organizing once the photos have been uploaded.

Not everyone will want to use this type of system (I don't; seems you don't) but for many people, this is ideal.

view photos

hypnotic iron says:

Ok, I haven't found an answer on this thread to the problem with iPhoto uploads using "flickr uploadr" beta. I get a message that "No photos found" "The folder scanned contains no photos for us to upload" after I add iPhoto to the source for uploading. It sees 395 folders, but no photos.

view photos

trekok, enjoying says:

So far I like it, but I don't understand how to view the images it collected from my pictures library and other sections from my computer. Can you tell me how to do this? Thanks.

view photos

jazzy top says:

This is a great feature. Will it support the new Mac Photos app that Apple has announced to replace iPhoto?

view photos

kmacgray says:

trekok, enjoying:

I don't understand how to view the images it collected from my pictures library and other sections from my computer.

The photos will appear in your photostream, as with any other uploaded photo. You can then manage them through Camera Roll or the Organizr.

view photos

photosbyfrederickpolk says:

How do I download the Uploadr beta please?

view photos

scatteredbrain says:

Hey Flickr-

Thanks for the new uploadr and the Camera Roll! I'm excited to try both and have been able to use the CR and uploadr on a yosemite system...but my main photo collection is located on a Lion(10.7) system.

The new uploadr won't even start up on the Lion system.

I get a crash report and can send if you're interested, but just wondering if anyone else was running similar antiquated OSes and had it working?

Thanks,
SB

view photos

Peter Rea XIII says:

I wish there were some way to mass-edit my photo's.

From the new uploader, the file name isn't transferred to the title, the images are all set to Private, and I have to manually add tags to each one individually. I prefer to be able to tag a selection in one go, and to order the photo's as they will appear on my Photostream. I just uploaded 8 photo's from today and editing the info is taking me 10 times as long as with the normal uploader on the website.

Otherwise, I'd use it all the time.

view photos

Flickr Staff

jeffbargmann says:

James_1394:
Team is working on this as we speak :) Mac OS X 'Photos' will be supported yes.

scatteredbrain:
Hm - QA team just tested again on 10.7, checked it out myself. We support 10.7 and later. Is there any error dialog that appears? Can you see if there's a log ~/Library/Logs/FlickrDesktop to send?

scorsoft:
Phil Arundell:
tombilske:
HGButchWalker:
paulhek:
rightmacatcha:
Sorry about that, we experienced an issue with our iPhoto connection while adding support for Aperture. But good news, issue fixed and deployed :) Your client will self-update and should be working again shortly if it isn't already.

martian cat:
Our new Uploadr doesn't modify your iPhoto library but rather will just upload from it. Changes to your iPhoto library do not sync (i.e. renamed albums, deletions); edits to photos however will upload as additional photos, along with any photos you add later. If you have edited copies in iPhoto, Uploadr will upload both the original and edited copies.

africadunc:
Great to hear it! Welcome back! The new Camera Roll is just the beginning, I'm glad you like the direction.

iamfrederickpolk:
Uploadr is available to those with the new Flickr Camera Roll. We're gradually rolling it out, so watch flickr.com/cameraroll to see when it's ready for you :)
jeffbargmann (staff) edited this topic 83 months ago.

view photos

scatteredbrain says:

jeffbargmann:

Hey Jeff, thanks for the reply. Yes, there is a log, where shall I send it?

view photos

Josh Pao says:

The new Uploadr is great! I'm excited to try it...but the filename isn't transferred to the title...so sad!

Could you please add this function to the release version?
Thanks in advance.

view photos

jessamyn says:

This looks like a neat application, very fancy. However, I'd like to use the older Uploadr where I can select specific photos and add all the metadata. However when I downloaded the new Uploadr it overwrote my old one and I'm not sure where I can re-download the older Uploadr. Would someone mind offering a link?

I go to this page

www.flickr.com/photos/upload/

and it sends me here

www.flickr.com/photos/upload/basic

and the tools page doesn't have it.

www.flickr.com/tools/

I know it's not supported but it still works and I'd like to get a copy of it.

view photos

Simon.Davison.Photography says:

I agree with what Josh Pao says, It would save loads of time if the file name transferred as the title of the photo. I have already given the photo this title on my hard drive, to then have to do it again after it has uploaded is duplicating work.

Thanks

view photos

Ives Photography says:

Nope don't like it at all I'm content loading one image at a time, this uploader is terrible!

view photos

lorenzoviolone says:

Awesome app, it really is ... but that is what might be missing:

Drag & Drop of photos (not just folders)
Video upload

view photos

Andrea di Reggio says:

very good uploader, it would be great to have a downloader too, to download entire folders with a click

view photos

dasar says:

Brenda Anderson:

ok ok, but we would like to upload to a specific collection/set and do not see the uploaded pictures in the main photostream.
We must be able to create a different area that does not interfere with the photostream, otherwise using uploader creates a mess in the current workflow
dasar edited this topic 83 months ago.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

All photos you upload have always gone to the photostream. That hasn't changed.

view photos

kmacgray says:

dasar:

but we would like to upload to a specific collection/set and do not see the uploaded pictures in the main photostream

As Brenda notes, photos have always been and continue to be uploaded to the photostream. That's the only place on Flickr where your photos actually exist. Photos don't get uploaded to collections or albums.

view photos

dasar says:

Brenda Anderson:

now we are not talking about selective upload, the new uploader allows for bulk upload. In this case it is more useful to separate the uploaded (and presumably not edited) photos from those already edited.
Bulk uploading as private is not enough for the photographer to manage his photostream.
If I want to backup my photos online I would rather use dropbox or services like that. But if I want to show my portfolio online and at the same time backup my other photos, I need different functionalities.

view photos

Richard Dargan says:

I agree with Brenda Anderson - not too keen on the blanket upload of EVERYTHING. Some 'tries' of pics are garbage and are best left unseen. I'd rather edit/fiddle with the images before letting the world see what I was going to foist on it. Rather have selective upload. I think the old upload was OK for me and the way I work.

Camera Roll seems OK, and I kinda welcome it.

view photos

jessamyn says:

Photos don't get uploaded to collections or albums.

We with the old Uploadr you could do this, pick an album as you were uploading. With the new Uploadr you can't. Unless I am missing something.

I'm happy using Flickr for backup but I'd want to do that somewhere else and be able to use the same tool to also upload pre-selected and sorted photos for other people to see.

view photos

floydparag says:

jeffbargmann:

Great app!

view photos

RandomConnections says:

I'm one of those that accidentally replaced my old uploader, thinking this one would be "better." The new one may be a great app, but it doesn't fit my workflow. Unless Flickr adds the ability to add files rather than folders and restores some of the functionality of the old uploader, this thing is useless to me.

That being said, does anyone have the old uploader DMG file for Mac that they would be willing to share? If so, please PM me. Thanks!

view photos

dasar says:

RandomConnections:

no one knows whether anybody from flickr is listening ...

view photos

tgpotterfield says:

jeffbargmann:

I usually like to stay current with updates and improvements, but I backed out of installing the new Flickr Uploader. So far, I love the Camera Roll feature, although I'm not sure whether it adds real functionality as far as assigning images to albums and so forth. I'd like to be able to view images in their camera rolls as an alternative to the Photostream.

The new Uploader is another matter. I can't use an app that will only take the entire contents of a folder and seems to really really want every image on my Mac. The old Uploader lets me leave everything from a shoot (camera roll) in a folder and select what I want to post. Much simpler. There is no point in having every image online unless and until you're going to replace Photoshop/Lighroom. It don't want or need unedited or unfinished images or images prepped for printing on Flickr.

The other new functionality described might be great but I won't have a chance to try it out until I can use the app without redesigning my local filing system and further complicating my workflow.

Scanning through some of the other comments I'm left with questions and concerns about the new app's handling of metadata. I do all my metadata work locally before uploading. This is important and in fact essential to me--otherwise I would have to all this work twice, and it's burdensome enough as it is. Improved updatability of images posted to Flickr would be most welcome, especially the ability to sync metadata changes, even on a 1-by-1 basis.
tgpotterfield edited this topic 83 months ago.

view photos

AntyDiluvian says:

"All photos you upload have always gone to the photostream. That hasn't changed."

Well, yes, it has. Until last Sunday, when I willingly activated the new uploader, my photostream showed only what I personally uploaded, in the order and to the effect of my own choosing. It showed what I wanted it to show -- to me and everyone else.

With the new uploader, it still looks that way to everyone else. But not to me. For everyone else, my photostream is automatically filtered to public-only. For me, it's not. Shots in my (intended) uploads are surrounded by different versions of the same shots in the same or different order and separated from the previous or next (intended) upload by whatever shots I've taken in the interim. Since the number of these shots can range from the dozens to the hundreds, the effect of the public view (which is my intended view) is totally lost for me.

This could be rectified by giving the photostream a public filter. Flickr already provides one on its iPhone app. I use it to see my "real" photostream -- but I shouldn't have to go to another device to be able to do that.

view photos

kmacgray says:

AntyDiluvian:

With the new uploader, it still looks that way to everyone else. But not to me. For everyone else, my photostream is automatically filtered to public-only. For me, it's not.

Correct. The desktop uploader sends stuff up as private by default.

For me, it's not. Shots in my (intended) uploads are surrounded by different versions of the same shots in the same or different order and separated from the previous or next (intended) upload by whatever shots I've taken in the interim.

I'm afraid I'm not following. If you are logged into your account, you will always see all of your images, no matter the privacy. This has always been the case.

view photos

kmacgray says:

jessamyn:

We with the old Uploadr you could do this, pick an album as you were uploading. With the new Uploadr you can't. Unless I am missing something.

I think the intent of the desktop uploader is to send everything to your stream quickly and in bulk, sort of an image dump. Then you would use Camera Roll or Organizr to manage/organize them once they are on Flickr.

view photos

dasar says:

AntyDiluvian:

I think you are right. I wonder if the developer of this app has any kind of understanding of photography workflow ...

view photos

Mitymous says:

Suckered by Flickr again. Old uploadr here: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/87503/
Mitymous edited this topic 83 months ago.

view photos

ernstkers says:

dasar:

I wonder if the developer of this app has any kind of understanding of photography workflow

If it doesn't suit your workflow, then don't use it. It's just an extra above other upload methods.
What is a "photography workflow"? Your workflow and the erroneous idea that everybody has the same workflow?

view photos

kmacgray says:

dasar:

I wonder if the developer of this app has any kind of understanding of photography workflow

I don't think this tool is designed to be part of a workflow. It's to get images up on Flickr automatically. Personally, I don't have a use for it, but I imagine a lot of people will find it very convenient.

As staff have stated in the OP:

"This beta is limited to users in the Camera Roll beta, and is meant to help you fill up your camera roll fast."

view photos

dasar says:

kmacgray:

I give up. Too difficult to explain to you

view photos

dasar says:

ernstkers:

I give up. Too difficult to explain to you

view photos

concerned existence says:

I'm impressed with Camera Roll and the revised UploadR. Well done!

Will it still be compatible with Photos For OS X Yosemite when released ?

view photos

kmacgray says:

dasar:

As you wish.

view photos

AntyDiluvian says:

I'm not sure what you don't follow in my comment. The Flickr app for iPhone offers me a choice: I can select "all" to see everything in my photostream, the full warehouse of images it has recently become. Or I can select "public" to see the shots I've selected from that warehouse and put out there for you and others to browse through. To me, that display of public images is what Flickr is about. But it's a display I can't see on my Mac -- because I can't filter for it. If that filter is an option on the iPhone app, why can't it be one on the full app?

Last year Flickr was said to have 92 million users. Of those 92 million I'm the only one who can't see what my public photostream looks like. (Unless of course I go to my iPhone.) Does that make sense?

view photos

mcnod says:

AntyDiluvian:

I'm the only one who can't see what my public photostream looks like.

It's not the perfect answer - but yes you can, open a second browser on your Mac (don't sign in on that 2nd browser) and go to your photostream using the second browser. You could also use an incognito window in the main browser to view your photostream as others see it.

view photos

kmacgray says:

AntyDiluvian:

Of those 92 million I'm the only one who can't see what my public photostream looks like

Yes, you can, if you log out of your account.

If that filter is an option on the iPhone app, why can't it be one on the full app?

I don't know. If it's a feature you want to see on the desktop site, you'll need to request it in the feedback forum, where staff are seeking such requests.

view photos

AntyDiluvian says:

Right, log out of my account. Or use my wife's login. (I've done both.) Interesting situation -- I have to go outside of Flickr to see how the people inside see my photos.

Must be the Yahoo influence.

view photos

kmacgray says:

AntyDiluvian:

I have to go outside of Flickr to see how the people inside see my photos.

Or anyone who isn't a Flickr member.

view photos

UW Tacoma says:

Please make it so that file names are retained during the upload. We just uploaded over 1,000 photos that have all been stripped of their name...

view photos

mcnod says:

AntyDiluvian:

Must be the Yahoo influence.

flickr is eleven years old. Yahoo has own the company for almost all of that time. Never in the past have we been able to see our account the way others see it unless we go "outside of Flickr", to use your words. Now the mobile app (a Yahoo invention by the way) allows us to see our account as others see it. In time, it is likely that they (Yahoo) will incorporate the same ability to the non-mobile-app service. In the meanwhile, you have options, your mobile app, your wife's log-in, and if you sign out. Is there anything else the user to user help forum can do for you at this time?

view photos

dasar says:

mcnod:

this is not a user to user help forum.
This is the place to give feedback to flickr staff.

view photos

kmacgray says:

dasar:

That's not correct.

This is mainly a user to user forum, even though staff do drop in from time to time. There is a dedicated forum that staff have created for general site feedback, suggestions and feature requests:

yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/211185-us-flickr

view photos

ernstkers says:

dasar:

When was that changed? And where is the announcement that this is not anymore a user to user help forum, like it always was? Where is announced by staff that this is the place to give feedback to staff?

view photos

mcnod says:

dasar:

I agree that sometimes staff asks for feedback in the help forum, usually in threads in the "hot topic" section (this thread included). They also still want bug reports posted in the help forum. I do believe that some staff members monitor the help forum as much as they can and do offer assistance from time to time in any given thread. On the other hand, there are many, many HF threads where members hope for staff input and it does not happen, it's up to other flickr members to try to help. The days of Heather, and constant and consistent staff involvement in any larger percentage of day to day HF threads is long gone (at least for now).

view photos

Marcel Fu says:

Thank you so much for this!
Could you add support for auto-splitted events from iPhoto? Ie, my iPhoto splits events into days. Could you make it so that those daily splitted events are added as separate albums?

view photos

dasar says:

kmacgray:

if you go to the camera roll page, down right there is the "feedback" link to come exactly here

view photos

dasar says:

ernstkers:

if you go to the camera roll page, down right there is the "feedback" link to come exactly here

view photos

kmacgray says:

dasar:

Understood. It's a contradiction that I've queried staff about, and have not received a response. They set up a dedicated forum for feedback, but then solicit it here. They need to pick one or the other.

(However, it is also my understanding that even Flickr staff think that the feedback forum is a pile of mess.)

view photos

ernstkers says:

dasar:

I don't see answers on my other two questions:

dasar:

When was that changed? And where is the announcement that this is not anymore a user to user help forum, like it always was?
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157649816391975/#reply7...

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5
(1 to 100 of 438 replies in [Official Thread] Introducing the new Flickr Uploadr for Mac (Beta))
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads