Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] (UPDATED MAY 21) More information about Flickr's scheduled downtime on May 22
Latest: 78 minutes ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Official Thread] Scheduled downtime on May 22, plus more updates on speed & stability
Latest: 9 hours ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 27 hours ago
[Official Thread] A new way to stay informed about site performance issues.
Latest: 31 hours ago

Current Discussion

why did my yearly fee double . Was $24.99, jumped up to $49.99
Latest: 40 minutes ago
When I post a photo it is sent to another account with my name??
Latest: 46 minutes ago
After the "Improvements" (?)
Latest: 54 minutes ago
Apple TV app - is it goting to get fixed?
Latest: 62 minutes ago
Anyone else see part of a moving face with a mustache under "Global" on the Test Page?
Latest: 2 hours ago
Flickr joke (in Flickr User contact page)
Latest: 2 hours ago
Photos not showing in album
FLICKR APP on ios
What are the alternatives to Flickr?
Latest: 5 hours ago
BUG: Cannot mouse-drag Flickr map in Firefox on laptops with touch screen
Latest: 5 hours ago
serious performance issues, timeouts, errors over past several days
Latest: 7 hours ago
Photographer credit on group banner improperly positioned
Latest: 9 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

How to Put Paragraph Breaks in Photo Descriptions?

Capt. Aero says:

I've recently started posting new photos here after a year's absence. I can find no way to skip a space and start a new paragraph in the description of a photo. With some of my older photos, I've written long descriptions with several paragraphs and they are still viewable.
Posted at 10:46PM, 24 April 2014 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

joshua_putnam says:

hold down SHIFT while clicking ENTER, like comments on Facebook.

There are illegible instructions for that hidden in the text box until you start typing in it; they're gone by the time you need them.

Definitely not a popular change in the new photo page, one of the top-voted user requests is to restore standard carriage-return functionality, but staff hasn't been receptive so far.
Posted 62 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Capt. Aero says:

joshua_putnam:

Thanks. That was simple enough. I suppose someone would have to spend 5 minutes to re-program it to normal keyboard functions.

view photos

loupiote (Old Skool) pro says:

Capt. Aero:

well, ENTER validates the photo description, since there is no more "Save" button, unfortunately...

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Ever since Flickr made this change, I find myself pausing in every other app or website or text editor, just before I tap "enter", making sure it's a place where I don't need to also press 'shift'... It just doesn't make sense to me to have one site (and only one place on this site) where I have to press shift+enter for a line break, while every other place I type does it the standard way.

(I just did it again, right there, paused to think if I needed to press shift first...)

This has really slowed down my typing.

view photos

Capt. Aero says:

Wil C. Fry:

It's Flicker's way of making you think about them, no matter where you are online.

view photos

i really think this is a stupid idea (not to have a "Save" button, and to require SHIFT-ENTER for line-breaks) in case of large text fields like a photo description.

this may be fine for comments, since many of them are one-liners. but i bet a lot of photo descriptions are multi-lines. mines are.

and even on facebook, when you write a status update or a note or an event etc, there is a "Save" or "Post" button, and ENTER creates a line-break.

flickr made a stupid design choice here IMHO. i hate it.

hopefully they won't extend this idea to this forum and to group discussions!!!!

view photos

i think that the flickr design would be a bit different if the people in charge of designing the site's features were ALSO spending half their time uploading, documenting, tagging, and organizing photos on the site.

but apparently very few of flickr's TPTB actually use the site for something else than just browsing their friend's photos.

view photos

The Searcher says:

I guess I got used to it on the other sites that use the same approach. When I'm typing my left pinky is already on the shift key almost all the time for capitalizing letters. So creating new paragraphs is exactly as difficult as capitalizing for me. It's actually faster for me with this method because hitting enter to post keeps me from having to move my hand to the mouse, then move mouse to post button.

It's certainly not nearly the detriment to long multi paragraph descriptions or comments that the too-narrow sidebar is.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

The Searcher:

I guess I got used to it on the other sites that use the same approach.

So you keep saying. Which sites, please?
I have only come across the forced requirement to Shift-Enter for a line break in one online service that I use, and I very soon stopped using it for text for this very reason.
So, which other sites do you use where you have to type this way? Or, if you don't want to name them (though I can't imagine why that could be), exactly how many?

The Searcher:
It's certainly not nearly the detriment to long multi paragraph descriptions or comments that the too-narrow sidebar is.

That is irrelevant - and also a matter of opinion.
The point is that it is non-standard, slow and massively irritating to many people, however warm and snuggly you might personally be with it.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Nionyn_:

How is it slow again?

Unfortunately other than Facebook the other forums I use that have it are private. But I could take it or leave it, frankly. I'm just surprised at how some people were unable to adapt to simple changes, I guess. Especially when in some cases those changes actually make things more efficient.

But I will completely understand if you have to quit Flickr over this shift/button thing. You should always stand by your principles.
The Searcher edited this topic 62 months ago.

view photos

if it was an easy thing to do, i would make a GM script to fix that one. but i am not sure 1) how to capture the ENTER key upfront (before flickr captures it to validate the text) and 2) how to simulate the injection of an ENTER key if people press a "Save" button.

If i knew how to do that, a simple GM script would make everyone's life much better!

view photos

The Searcher says:

Nionyn_:

Some apps that use this function include MS Word (soft break, no extra space), WordPress, Google Docs, Hipchat, Evernote, LinkedIn, and Twitter.

In fact most chat tools/apps that I've seen work this way.

view photos

joshua_putnam says:

MS Word is one reason Flickr's choice of nonstandard carriage returns is so irritating.

I spend much more time in Word and other MS Office products than I do on flickr, and flickr's use of shift+enter is incompatible with MS Office use of shift+enter.

In Word, shift+enter explicitly does not create a carriage return, just a line break.

After an evening on flickr, I find myself misusing shift+enter in other software, having to go back and put in proper carriage returns after using shift+enter by mistake.

Not using shift+enter is one of the few things think flickr got right on the new mobile apps. Like Facebook, MS Office, or Google docs, they use enter to create a carriage return.

view photos

mag3737 says:

The Searcher:

hitting enter to post keeps me from having to move my hand to the mouse, then move mouse to post button.

Usually when there's a post button (such as the box in which I'm typing this message), there's no need to use the mouse. Just TAB and then ENTER.

However, I have to admit would not be too surprised if Flickr found a reason to break that convention, too, if they were to bring back a post button for comments/descriptions.

view photos

The Searcher says:

mag3737:

Tab enter is about as complicated as shift enter, or enter. It's a convention that once learned, is just learned. It may be alien at first, but once learned it becomes second nature.

Or else the alternative is huddling in the old ways of whatever we first learned and never trying to learn anything new.

view photos

Marlis1 says:

The Searcher:

Some apps that use this function include MS Word (soft break, no extra space), WordPress, Google Docs, Hipchat, Evernote, LinkedIn, and Twitter.

and which one of these is actually a photosite? If I want to write a book I am certainly not going to use Flickr. Which other photosite is using it?

I am sure most people are eventually going to get used to it- but why should they have to? The Black Horror is the only page on Flickr where it is used- so why there, why not on all of them, why at all?

view photos

Marlis1 says:

The Searcher:

It's a convention that once learned, is just learned. It may be alien at first, but once learned it becomes second nature.

Sure, but why here? Does it make any more sense than having a button? Change for changes sake? Seems there has been a lot of it in the past year.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Marlis1: It is true, I can't think of another photo site that uses this method of text entry. But how many photo sites actually showcase descriptions and comments in the first place? I guess I can only say, with any new thing, why not get used to it? What's the alternative? When new things are presented to me, I absorb them and learn them and then use them. If I can't absorb them or learn them then I cut my losses and give up and go someplace else that I understand. So far that has happened not very often.

view photos

Marlis1 says:

The Searcher:

I guess I can only say, with any new thing, why not get used to it? What's the alternative? When new things are presented to me, I absorb them and learn them and then use them. If I can't absorb them or learn them then I cut my losses and give up and go someplace else that I understand. So far that has happened not very often.

I am feeling the same way- up to a point. I am quite willing to learn and adjust- and this is a relatively small thing- I am ok with it- it does not mean I think it is a grand idea. I know for a fact however that many of my former contacts , some older, some younger have left because there was so much change- little guidance, too many bugs and little response. Flickr might still be one of the better photo sites- but for how much longer? I just wonder.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Marlis1: Change without guidance is definitely a bad thing, and a continuing issue here. So much new stuff, but nothing in the way of instruction, or FAQ, or instructional tour. Even for a new user coming in fresh, where do they go to learn how the site works?

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

Well, as they say in Dutch: zwemmen of verzuipen.

Translation: sink or swim.

Staff: you really really really SHOULD put The Tour back up!

With added links to FAQ's and Community Guidelines.

Oh, and the new FAQ needs to be updated - and frankly: WHAT was wrong with the old FAQ???

view photos

Marlis1 says:

The Searcher:

So much new stuff, but nothing in the way of instruction, or FAQ, or instructional tour. Even for a new user coming in fresh, where do they go to learn how the site works?

I have probably spent more time overall trying to figure out things- on my own, in the HF, and helping contacts solve problems- than I have spent on my own photos- and that's a bad thing-.
edit: typo
Marlis1 edited this topic 62 months ago.

view photos

Marlis1 says:

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots:

Oh, and the new FAQ needs to be updated - and frankly: WHAT was wrong with the old FAQ???

I'll second that-

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

The overall painful-to-read, scrunched up mish-mash clutter-page notwithstanding, the shift-enter thing is the least of my concerns on the new photo page.

Yes, in the beginning I pressed enter without shift 2 or 3 times and inadvertently posted when I meant to do a new paragraph. I quickly edited the comments and now I remember...and I'm used to it.

I'll even go as far as to say I prefer it this way. I'd rather not pick up the mouse to click a "post" button. In fact, I could argue that for a photo website, it makes more sense this way, as many photographers who use photo editing software are already conditioned to using keyboard shortcuts rather than mouse clicks. Removing mouse-clicks and replacing with keyboard strokes is universally understood to be better/faster/easier. That is why they are generally called "shortcuts."

To me this is a good shortcut.

view photos

Marlis1 says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

To me this is a good shortcut.

I suppose if one looks at it this way- it is.
What happened to the other shortcuts?
I am using a few, but
t- to add a tag- I have problems with it now.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Marlis1:

I was only addressing the topic of this thread regarding *shift-enter.*

Of course, the nature of trying to jam everything into the narrow sidebar has created a mountain of hidden info that requires mouse clicks and mouse scrolls. But that is the nature of this beast, and a different topic that has been beaten to death at this point.

view photos

mcnod says:

Using your own words from another recent thread:
"Your request won't do much here, best to look for the request on User Voice."

view photos

It's wonderful to know I have such a loyal fan who actually uses his valuable time to trace my comments, check them out, verify them, criticize them, correct them and even refers to them, as well as quoting them, wow.

And of course his continuing efforts in my direction are very very helpful indeed.

Keep up the good work mate!
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 62 months ago.

view photos

Marlis1:

I'll second that-

Meanwhile I put up the request on User voice - the system would not let me post for some reason, but finally got it done, here it is:

yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/211185-us-flickr/suggestions/5...

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

"Some apps that use this function include MS Word (soft break, no extra space), WordPress, Google Docs, Hipchat, Evernote, LinkedIn, and Twitter."

Okay, I use a few of these...

I use Twitter almost every day. 'Enter' makes a line-break, not post my Tweet.

I use MS Word at least once a week. 'Enter' makes a line-break, not post a comment or save document.

I occasionally use Google Dos. 'Enter' makes a line-break, not publish document or save document.

I use WordPress for my blog, posting at least twice a day. 'Enter' makes a line-break, not publish my entry.

(Unless there are widely varying versions of these apps... They all use the standard function of the 'Enter' key, which is move the cursor to the next line of the text field.)

" I'm just surprised at how some people were unable to adapt to simple changes"

Making my experience known isn't the same as not adapting. Flickr's made many changes over the years that I didn't like, but each time I adapted after airing my reasons for not liking it.

(Only because I still haven't found a photo-sharing service that's comparable, regarding the features I use and the price I pay.)

Sometimes I "adapt" by installing a userscript; other times I just get used to the new way of doing things.

But I firmly believe that companies want to know what people think of their changes, whether they're willing to adapt or not.

view photos

Marlis1 says:

Thank you for the link, I voted for it. I am almost out of votes- .

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Darren LoPrinzi

"I'll even go as far as to say I prefer it this way. I'd rather not pick up the mouse to click a "post" button. In fact, I could argue that for a photo website, it makes more sense this way, as many photographers who use photo editing software are already conditioned to using keyboard shortcuts rather than mouse clicks."

To clarify, you never had to reach for the mouse to post a comment or save a description, at least I never did.

The Searcher
"Tab enter is about as complicated as shift enter, or enter."

Yes. But one difference, at least for me, is that I only had to do it (tab+enter) once for each comment, no matter how many line breaks I wanted.

For example, I usually reply to several comments at once (assuming more than one person comments on my photo). Line breaks separate my multiple paragraphs. So I've pressed 'enter' (assuming an average) of six times, and tab+enter only once.

In today's model, that's shift+enter six times and enter once. On the increasingly rare days when my images are somewhat popular, that's a lot of clicks that I'd rather be spending elsewhere. ;-)

view photos

Marlis1:

I am almost out of votes

Yeah, so am I, something better happen soon! :)))

view photos

Marlis1 says:

Darren LoPrinzi:

Of course, the nature of trying to jam everything into the narrow sidebar has created a mountain of hidden info that requires mouse clicks and mouse scrolls.

Yes, it is unfortunate that the sidebar is so puny, hard to manage, harder to read- I guess it is meant for people who haven't made it much past a grunt or ok, - not for people anymore who can actually talk and write.
I always make sure I get all the info down pat in the Uploadr, editing later has become a pain in the backside.
edit: sentence structure...
Marlis1 edited this topic 62 months ago.

view photos

Marlis1 says:

Wil C. Fry:

In today's model, that's shift+enter six times and enter once. On the increasingly rare days when my images are somewhat popular, that's a lot of clicks that I'd rather be spending elsewhere. ;-)

Flickr- Clickr

view photos

ceila♪♫♪ says:

Marlis1:

Tired of Flickr-Clickr -:)

I began to use Google Translaite and then I copy and past -;)

view photos

Okinawa Soba (Rob) says:

When writing comments here, "Enter" makes a line break, and does not post my comment. On the photo page "Enter" does post my caption. On the Uploadr, "enter makes a line break, but does not upload my captioned image.

This lack of uniformity as I go back and forth is odd, to say the least.

Like others have mentioned, while jumping between various pages, I too have found myself having to hesitate and think about where I am every time I make a move on the "Enter" key.

I would imagine that a lack of procedural uniformity across any Website can only serve to frustrate regular users, by forcing them to adapt to what appears to be an amateur mistake in the procedural design.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

Wil C. Fry:

To clarify, you never had to reach for the mouse to post a comment or save a description, at least I never did.

Yes, I guess you're right.....you could tab over to the post button in the previous photo page.

So whether it's tab or shift....either way, it doesn't affect me, other than the first few times before I was used to it and I forgot. Both hands are on the keyboard when I type anyway, so comparing tab vs. shift is splitting hairs, even if I'm pressing shift more times on multiple paragraph posts.

view photos

mag3737 says:

The Searcher:

Tab enter is about as complicated as shift enter, or enter. It's a convention that once learned, is just learned. It may be alien at first, but once learned it becomes second nature.

My point was just that it's easier than moving your hands to the mouse.

view photos

Marlis1 says:

I think both side here have valid points,
however:
for me, and others by the sounds of it, it is an annoyance factor if on the Black Page I need to use shift+enter,and in groups, the Uploadr etc. I use a button for posting.
This has nothing to do with complicated or not- it is inconsistent and annoying.
The same lack of uniformity as the design of the different pages: One page is black- others are white.. and one never knows from day to day what's coming next.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

I have just spent ages on the new beta page trying to make a long comment that has a number of paragraph spaces, 2 GSV maps links, and with 2 HTML photos attached too..

I've tried and tried with the shift enter thing.. The comment that I have just done, I entered it by accident 3 times. I deleted it once because I had entered by accident in it in a jumbled mess..

I hate the fact that I have enter comments with a number member icons + HTML photos before I can cheque to see if it's all ok first.. It makes no sense to have no PREVIEW button ...

Another thing, if I leave adding members icons until the end by clicking where i want them, then clicking reply, they always go to the bottom of the comment instead of where I want to place them. I then have to copy and paste them into where I want them..

view photos

Marlis1 says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

Another thing, if I leave adding members icons until the end by clicking where i want them, then clicking reply, they always go to the bottom of the comment instead of where I want to place them. I then have to copy and paste them into where I want them..

I have noticed that too- it also happens on this page - makes commenting with quotes (copy and paste) a real nuisance. The cursor seems to have a life of its own....
I mentioned it on the jumping pages thread, but no response-
another one for the annoyance bucket?

view photos

The Searcher says:

Wil C. Fry: I guess I'd ask how many times you have to type capital letters in your comments. I don't understand why typing capital letters is normal typing flow, but doing the same keyboard function for a new paragraph is somehow a new considerable burden.

view photos

joshua_putnam says:

The Searcher:

I don't understand why typing capital letters is normal typing flow, but doing the same keyboard function for a new paragraph is somehow a new considerable burden.

What if half the pages on flickr suddenly made you use the Control key for capitals instead of the Shift key. But didn't announce it, and didn't label it consistently from page to page.

It's the same number of keystrokes, what would your complaint be?

view photos

The Searcher says:

joshua_putnam: I suppose the first time I used this new function I'd remember it forever, whether they announced it or not. And of course they'd likely still put the instructions in the comment box, like they did with this shift-enter change.

I'm all for better documentation and communication with users over changes, and that's something that Flickr needs tons of improvement with. But I'm not intrinsically against changes. Ctrl is right below Shift, my pinky wouldn't have to move much to use this new method. It might be weird, it might be non-standard, but I'd be able to use it fluidly within a minute or two. I have to use a ton of different tools and software, and none of them tend to adhere to consistent standards across the board. If I don't keep up with the changes, I can't use the tools.

So for your ridiculous hypothetical, I would have no complaint. Other than maybe asking them to make the new function consistent across the entire site, to avoid confusion.

view photos

joshua_putnam says:

The Searcher:

I suppose the first time I used this new function I'd remember it forever, whether they announced it or not

Then you're truly exceptional. Most people who learn to touch-type have significnat difficulty with nonstandard keybindings, especially when they're applied inconsistently within a program or site.

One of the reasons Microsoft Office swept so many technically-superior competitors off the market was the use of consistent key-bindings across the suite. Control-C means copy whether you're in Word, Excel, Powerpoint. Shift+Return means make a line break without creating a carriage return, regardless of which program you're in, etc.

view photos

The Searcher says:

joshua_putnam: Well again it's a hypothetical that would never take place, so it's difficult to know how exceptional I would be with the change or not. However a simple UI change, like hitting enter to post instead of clicking a button, is not the same muscle memory issue as a decade of touch typing.

However your assumption that most people still use physical keyboards with qwerty layout is amusing. Technically your hypothetical is already in play, as most smartphone keyboards already no longer use the key word "shift" to capitalize, they use the "up arrow" icon to signify upper case. And there are dozens of different phone keyboard layouts, schemes, shortcuts already in the wild, and most people seem to adapt to them pretty quickly. Personally I find myself trying to "Swype" on my home pc keyboard and screen from time to time, speaking of muscle memory.

That's the thing about standards and paradigms. There's always something new around the corner that's ready to be the new standard, until the next new thing comes along. And I think you underestimate the average person's ability to quickly adapt to any new thing.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Though that's a great point, noting how MS Office products and many others have actually used shift-enter for line breaks for decades. Maybe that's why I barely noticed a difference using that method here.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

The Searcher

"I guess I'd ask how many times you have to type capital letters in your comments. I don't understand why typing capital letters is normal typing flow, but doing the same keyboard function for a new paragraph is somehow a new considerable burden."

Again, the difference is that I press and hold 'shift' for capital letters in every program I use, on every site, and have been doing so since learning to type in the mid-1980s on my Dad's old Underwood typewriter, whereas 'enter' has always (since I began using computers anyway) made a line break.

For uppercase letters: don't have to retrain my brain/fingers
For line breaks on Flickr: DO have to retrain my brain/fingers, but only for this site, and then have to un-retrain them when I go to any other site or app.

"However a simple UI change, like hitting enter to post instead of clicking a button, is not the same muscle memory issue as a decade of touch typing."

It's exactly the same thing, actually, though only eight years for Flickr rather than a decade, but more than a decade overall.

I know you type a lot here, as I do, and I'm glad for you that it hasn't caused you any issues, but I hope you can accept that it IS causing issues for some of us who also type a lot here and elsewhere.

It would be one thing if this was indeed standard behavior across this site, and across the internet, but (at least for me) it's not, and is only found on (1) Flickr's new photopage and (2) some -- not all -- places on Facebook.

"...as most smartphone keyboards already no longer use the key word "shift" to capitalize, they use the "up arrow" icon to signify upper case"

I realize I'm very far behind in the smartphone category; just got my first one three months ago. But its keyboard indeed uses the shift key to capitalize. (Though I can't use it for Flickr since the app won't accept input from my phone's keyboard and no web page from Flickr will load in my browser.)

"MS Office products and many others have actually used shift-enter for line breaks for decades. Maybe that's why I barely noticed a difference using that method here."

I guess I've never attempted to use shift+enter in Microsoft products, since a simple 'enter' press is enough to create a line break. (Yes, I'm behind there too; I still use Office 2003.)

If it's true that newer versions of Office require a shift-enter for a line break, then I'm really glad I never updated to the next version, and probably never will.

(Edited to correct grammar/punctuation.)

view photos

joshua_putnam says:

The Searcher:

However your assumption that most people still use physical keyboards with qwerty layout is amusing.

I'm focusing on that because this is a desktop issue -- flickr wisely decided *not* to impose shift+enter on app users, they still use enter=carriage return and a "POST" button to post.

view photos

joshua_putnam says:

Wil C. Fry:

I guess I've never attempted to use shift+enter in Microsoft products, since a simple 'enter' press is enough to create a line break. (Yes, I'm behind there too; I still use Office 2003.)

If it's true that newer versions of Office require a shift-enter for a line break, then I'm really glad I never updated to the next version, and probably never will.

There's nothing new about shift+enter in MS Office as a way of creating a line break without a carriage return, that's been around for a long time.

But don't worry, even in the latest versions of Word, ENTER does not throw you out of your document, it creates a new paragraph.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

joshua_putnam

"...a line break without a carriage return..."

I'll admit I had to research this; I didn't realize there was a difference. Perhaps this difference was the source of my misunderstanding The Searcher above, when he kept referring to shift+enter in Microsoft Office products.

The Searcher, if this is so, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

However, I still maintain that 'enter' should not remove the cursor from the text field and post a comment. In Word, that would be like saving/printing the document (and mailing it to the recipient). If pressing enter in WordPress published my blog entry, I'd probably stop blogging or pay someone to reprogram my keyboard.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

"reprogram my keyboard"

Speaking of which, I am confident that some knowledgeable soul will come along with a userscript to return 'enter' to its former capacity on the photopage. When that happens, I'll forget all about this episode until the script breaks someday. :-)

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

I use MS Outlook, and have been doing so for years ... I have never had to Shift & Enter to start a new paragraph. Flickr is the only place that i've come across this.. It certainly handicaps the ability to make comments well. And it certainly puts me off making comments on members photos that I don't know too well. A Fave is about all they get now..

view photos

ceila♪♫♪ says:

Wil C. Fry:

Speaking of which, I am confident that some knowledgeable soul will come along with a userscript to return 'enter' to its former capacity on the photopage. When that happens, I'll forget all about this episode until the script breaks someday. :-)

+1 !!!

view photos

joshua_putnam says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

I use MS Outlook, and have been doing so for years ... I have never had to Shift & Enter to start a new paragraph. Flickr is the only place that i've come across this..

It's also used on a few parts of Facebook, I suspect that's where flickr got the idea to copy it, though Facebook does not use it any place where multi-paragraph text is common.

In photo descriptions, status updates, etc., Facebook still uses standard ENTER = carriage return key binding.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

joshua_putnam:

It's also used on a few parts of Facebook, I suspect that's where flickr got the idea

I think flickr thinks everyone uses Facebook. I have never joined there myself like a lot of others I know. It's not a place I will ever join.

view photos

carterelizabeth says:

joshua_putnam:

Thanks Joshua...problem solved!

view photos

joshua_putnam:

In photo descriptions, status updates, etc., Facebook still uses standard ENTER = carriage return key binding.

Facebook uses Shift + Enter to get to a new line in *messages* - hitting Enter when writing a message will instantly send the message, which is pretty unfortuante as well, if you are not aware.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

There is also a problem with the expandable comment box .. It keeps returning to it's smaller size when making comments, when using the spacebar, hiding what i'm doing..
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 62 months ago.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi says:

joshua_putnam:

It's also used on a few parts of Facebook, I suspect that's where flickr got the idea to copy it, though Facebook does not use it any place where multi-paragraph text is common.

I barely visit Facebook anymore...and frankly don't even feel like going on to check....but I recall they had a check box somewhere (either for private messages or for status updates) where you could enable or disable the use of the enter key to send/post the message.

I guess that would be a decent solution here?

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

I haven't done this myself, but it seems that many have from what I read around flickr..

"How to Suppress the March 2014 Photo Page Redesign in Chrome & Firefox Browsers to Make Text Readable Once Again"

www.elmofoto.com/Hacks/FlickrHackr

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads