Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Show off your photos in pixel-perfect glory with new 6K support for Pros
Latest: 2 hours ago
Updates to the Flickr Android App
Latest: 2 days ago
[Official Thread] An update on Flickr search
Latest: 2 days ago
[Official Thread] Print your photos with Flickr Prints
Latest: 3 days ago
[Official Thread] Flickr downtime on May 22 and site issues since then. [10 SEP UPDATE - MOBILE Camera Roll Is Back!]
Latest: 6 days ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 6 days ago

Current Discussion

Unexplained surge in total views
Latest: 40 minutes ago
Harassments
Latest: 52 minutes ago
ladda ned min gamla bilder
Latest: 81 minutes ago
Download Blocked
Latest: 2 hours ago
Flickr Explore limited to a small number of photos?
Latest: 3 hours ago
Is Stats still inaccurate?
Albums out of order
Disappointed with Flickr since SmugMug
Latest: 5 hours ago
A mysterious place with no name
Latest: 5 hours ago
Cover images for albums not displaying
Latest: 6 hours ago
Photo Blur
Latest: 13 hours ago
(Resolved: not a bug) Group invite tool doesn't check for existing membership
Latest: 14 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] All Sizes and EXIF Copyright Information

Flickr Staff

Xerxes2K says:

Hi all,

We know that many of you store a copyright note in the EXIF data of your photos, and today, we are happy to announce the release of a long-standing request from many of you:

Going forward, we will preserve the EXIF Copyright field from your original file in all resized versions of your image uploads.

Of course, we will continue to store the original size of your image untouched, but when generating the up to 11 additional sizes of the file – ranging from the 75x75 pixels square up to 2048px on the longest side – our change kicks in and we keep the information stored in the EXIF Copyright field intact in the resized versions of your image.

We're glad that we can launch this for all new uploads and are planning to soon go through all photos already on Flickr to give them the same treatment.

If you have any questions about this or notice any issues, please let us know.

===== FAQ =====

I added a © character to my exif:copyright field, why does it show as (c)?
According to the official EXIF specification, the copyright field only supports ASCII characters. Instead of dropping non-ASCII characters, we replace commonly used special characters (e.g. © > (c), ® > (r) and ™ > (tm)).
Posted at 5:19AM, 16 January 2014 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

Pianowerk says:

Well thats good to see and thank you for actioning the suggestion. But in the Flickr Photo page Beta, the item suggesting this is still shown as "Gathering feedback", when in fact its been agreed and completed.

As many seem to think the feedback pages are a sinkhole from which there is no escape, it would help if you could update/close the appropriate feedback threads so that wood can be seen for trees - there are 476 pages of feedback about lord knows what and many have no status. The Augean Stables need a clean up!
Posted 70 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito says:

Going forward, we will preserve the EXIF Copyright field from your original file in all resized versions of your image uploads.

That's good news. Much appreciated.

Thanks big.
MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339*** incognito edited this topic 70 months ago.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Xerxes2K

That's good news. And a long time coming. Thank you.

view photos

photographe-de-mariage.pro says:

thanks for this (future) update!

view photos

Mike Slade. says:

Excellent thank you ^_^

view photos

Flickr Staff

Xerxes2K says:

Pianowerk – We definitely have this on the radar, but still thanks for the note. We'll make sure to go through FlickrIdeas and the Photo page feedback forum and update the threads accordingly.

view photos

fantastical property says:

Excellent...

view photos

ceila♪♫♪ says:

Great! Thank you -:)

view photos

mcnod says:

Xerxes2K:

We're glad that we can launch this for all new uploads and are planning to soon go through all photos already on Flickr to give them the same treatment.

Is there a more specific time frame than "soon" on our older photos?

When this action is performed on older photos, will new large sizes (1600 and 2048) be generated for photos posted before March 1, 2012?

view photos

Lú_ says:

Cool!

view photos

topfklao says:

You have time for this, but for fixing upload-problems?

Incredible!

view photos

cybertect says:

Xerxes2K:

Blimey. I'd given up hope.

Thanks, though.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Marvelous!

view photos

justingreen19 says:

Thank you

view photos

The Searcher says:

topfklao: As with most software design, bugs aren't handled in a linear, "first come first served" order. Many bugs are triaged for priority, and then handled in parallel by many different people.

It's similar to how it works in the real world. Are you happy that giant pothole got filled on your street, or are you annoyed it got fixed but the new park across the street still isn't finished? When you see a picture frame crooked on your bedroom wall do you straighten it? Or do you wait until you've finished remodeling the bathroom?

Same thing here.

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

Xerxes2K:
about time too ;-)
nevertheless great stuff! and thank you Flickr team

view photos

ceila♪♫♪ says:

The Searcher:

You made me laugh out loud -:)

view photos

Duane from TN says:

Thank you. That's great news.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Some people are going to complain no matter what.

Xerxes2K:

Thank you!

view photos

Janey Kay says:

great!

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

Awesome news!

view photos

personne.de.chandigarh says:

Xerxes2K:

copyright note in the EXIF data

It may be of help to the uninitiated to learn how copyright information can be added to uploads to Flickr.

If ownership of photos is recorded on the hard disk of a computer before uploading these, it may reveal personal information in case EXIF is not kept "private" on Flickr, something a Flickr member may not wish to do.

view photos

Koeshke says:

Thank you.

view photos

excellent start says:

Well, I guess Flickr won't have to worry about lawsuits regarding the stripping of Copyright Management Information in the US anymore.

www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/1202

view photos

muffett68 ☺ heidi ☺ says:

how does someone disable downloading of a picture-- just one particular picture??

view photos

Azchael says:

Thanks a lot!

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

muffett68 ☺☺

Mark it 'private'.

The only way to keep someone from downloading an image is to not let them view it. (Flickr's anti-download setting is account-wide and can't be applied on a per-image basis.)

view photos

atp says:

Excellent - good to have this long-awaited bug fix.

view photos

Pacdog says:

Alsomeness!! =o)~

view photos

Glenn Adrian says:

Xerxes2K:

Does this imply that flickr strips out metadata?

Surely that's a something I should do in Lightroom, and Flickr can leave it well alone.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Glenn Adrian: no, they do not. Your original image is untouched by flickr. But all of the other sizes Flickr generates, they have not added whatever metadata may be on the original. This thread is about those images.

view photos

Robert Barone says:

Good. A welcomed change.

view photos

Celeste M (more off than on) says:

Good news!

view photos

~andre says:

Xerxes2K:

I added a © character to my exif:copyright field, why does it show as (c)?
According to the official EXIF specification, the copyright field only supports ASCII characters. Instead of dropping non-ASCII characters, we replace commonly used special characters (e.g. © > (c), ® > (r) and ™ > (tm)).
Once again when it comes to national languages support Flickr just comes up with another home-grown solution. If you want to stick with ASCII, you have to be consistent and transliterate other symbols as well and not just convert the copyright symbol. Instead, you just drop non-ASCII characters, so if my copyright text looks like this:

© André

, then my small size image will have this copyright string:

(c) Andr

You just created another copyright, which is a significant problem.

While you are correct and the EXIF spec does say that the copyright field is supposed to be ASCII only, it also says that it's an 8-bit container and a lot of tools allow people save UTF-8 characters, which includes exiftool, exiftool GUI, etc. Here's what the MWG (Metadata Working Group) recommends on page 26:

www.metadataworkinggroup.org/pdf/mwg_guidance.pdf

Exif string values SHOULD be written as UTF-8. However, clients MAY
write ASCII to allow broader interoperability 2

2 It is understood that writing UTF-8 in Exif is formally in violation of the Exif specification, which requires 7-bit ASCII in most cases. Some devices (cameras and printers) will not be able to display non-ASCII characters.

Just stick with UTF-8 and you will avoid a lot of headaches, as will many Flickr users whose non-English copyright strings will be mangled in most unexpected ways.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

~andre

"non-English""

For what it's worth, I know plenty of English-speaking people in the U.S. who have such characters in their names. My next-door neighbor, for example, is José. And my wife's good friend's last name is Peña. Both of them are natural-born U.S. citizens.

I agree with you that the copyright field shouldn't change someone's name (and thus create a new copyright).

EDIT: And I forgot my wife's maiden name: François.
Posted 69 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

~andre says:

Wil C. Fry:

Amazingly, nine days later Flickr still mangles copyright in all small images. These names come through now as

(c) Jos Pea Franois

Some copyright that is. Most people will not notice their copyright screwed up in small images immediately and will check it only after they hear from somebody at some point, but by that time there will be too many images to fix and Flickr will just sweep the issue under the rug.

view photos

xandram says:

I'm looking for info pertaining to *All Sizes*/ which I don't see here. I'm grabbing the HTML code for 3 different Medium sizes, but they are all posting in a thread as the same size! I don't get it.

view photos

ColleenM says:

xandram:

You need to start a thread with your question. It doesn't have anything to do with this topic.

view photos

www.toddklassy.com says:

What André said.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Xerxes2K says:

Thanks all. We'll look into this unfortunate common special character issue. Once we have discussed, we'll get back to you with an update.

view photos

jokerzaartist says:

Saffron Blaze:

right gd job jokeraartist@gmail.com

view photos

jokerzaartist says:

cant wait to learn more exciting , art

view photos

Alex Annis - Slowly Catching up. says:

Xerxes2K:

I'm sure you already know but in the beta new page the comment page is hard to read need to change it back from black letter and white background. Also Fix user icon it too small and the oval shape look terrible. Also unable add extra photos in the comment page. With all said it would be better set all the comment on the bottom photos rather on the right side.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Alex Annis - Slowly Catching up.:

That isn't related to the subject of this topic, which is preserving EXIF information in the Flickr-generated sizes of our photos. Instead of hijacking this topic, leave your feedback on the beta photo page here:

yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/211185-us-flickr/category/7173...

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads