Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[replacing | staff response] Aviary editing functions disabled
Latest: 3 hours ago
[BUG] Photostream: Count Incorrect, Missing Images, Album Issues
Latest: 4 hours ago
Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 12 hours ago

Current Discussion

[tag search lag?] recently added tags are no found in tag search (until more than 1h)
Latest: 21 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Instagram no longer supports sharing to Flickr
Latest: 2 hours ago
Flickr killing my data - bring back m.flickr.com !
Delete a photo
I'm invited to add photos to groups but they don't show up in group pool.
Can't open a flickr account
new flickr login method
[closed - duplicate] Old Photos "Disappearing"
[answer provided] question about not good comments
View counts incorrect.Running total less than daily total
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Official Thread] Introducing the Flickr Camera Roll (Beta)
Latest: 6 hours ago
downloading pictures
Latest: 7 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Acknowledged] Yahoo Navigation Bar

Swifty PRO says:

Hi, I've noticed a new purple Yahoo navigation bar at the top of all of my Flickr pages:

"Y! | Mail | News | Sports..."

This takes up valuable real estate when I'm trying to view my Flickr account and photos. There's no obvious way to remove it. Is it possible? I've searched the FAQ with no results, and some previous forum topics have me possibly in a "bucket test" - but all of the subsequent links to forum topics are closed or private.

Thanks in advance.
Posted at 6:09PM, 1 July 2013 PDT ( permalink )
Thea Lamkin (staff) edited this topic 47 months ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 30
(1 to 100 of 3,000 replies in [Acknowledged] Yahoo Navigation Bar)
view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Yes, you're in a bucket test for this, as am I (I was also in the first round). This will be coming no matter what, methinks, so we might as well get used to it (even though it's ugly as sin).
Posted 47 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

mimbrava PRO says:

Agreed. It's distracting and another great annoyance from Yahoo.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Existing topic:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633459717740/

view photos

emesmendo PRO says:

horrible horrible. I stood by all the changes. Even increased my usage of the site but this bar is awful. Remove ASAP

view photos

Swifty PRO says:

Thanks for the pointer kmacgray, hopefully they'll listen to the userbase.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Thea Lamkin says:

Hey guys, this is not a bucket test, this is a universal roll out. The idea is to make it easier to access other places in the Yahoo! network and make visiting Yahoo! pages a more seamless experience. This also lets your photos benefit from a wider audience.

Please let us know if you have any feedback, and lets keep it to this one thread -- I'll redirect others here if they pop up.

view photos

kodiak xyza says:

can it be made that the inevitable Y!-Barney bar take some real estate from the Flickr bar, rather than the browser's page view?
is there another website so invasive with tool bars than this one?
not sure if this is worse than MS Office's toolbar monster,
but it is up there. (eta: pun really not intended.)

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Thea Lamkin:

Is this going to be the one thread? If so, can it be made sticky and the title changed to reflect that?

view photos

i_am_subverted PRO says:

Now even more wasted space on the screen, looks close to 3/4" now. Yahoo offers second rate versions of most things on the toolbar - it gives me access to nothing that I do not already have access to via bookmarks.

Options to turn it off or opt out are greatly needed.

Swifty:

Dont get your hopes up, just look how they handled the dislike of the new look/advertising scheme.

view photos

victorvonsalza PRO says:

Is there an option or way to remove it?

view photos

Orbmiser says:

I Hate it and want it gone.
What if we don't want to access other Yahoo places from within our flickr?

I've been here over 6 years and getting tired of having things crammed down my throat without asking or announcing it except buried in some thread somewhere. And Want where I can opt out or disable or turn off features that I don't want like this Ugly Redundant now 2 Nav bars at the top of the page.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Thea Lamkin says:

kmacgray:

Yup, will do.

view photos

marc von martial says:

Gosh, what a design desaster.... if that annoying bar would at least fit the site design wise at little. Yahoo has learned nothing in the last decade as it seems.
Dropping pro account now. Sorry guys, this is just too much.

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

Purple?

PURPLE?

PURPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole site has been redesigned so the chrome gets out of the way of the photos, and now Yahoo! has imposed an ugly purple bar across every photopage, discussion page, search page and so on which draws the eye from the Awesome photos to the Yahoo! toolbar.

If you're not going to nuke it, for the love of Pete, change it to white text on a gray background.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Thea Lamkin says:

victorvonsalza:

There is currently no option to opt-out or remove the tool bar.

view photos

MNGS717 PRO says:

I just got it now. It looks tacky and I'll never use it in a million years. To get rid of it I took a strip of black electrical tape and used it to cover the top part of my monitor, now the toolbar is gone for good!

view photos

arrangement PRO says:

Please give us the option to turn it off, I don't want it.
Thanks,

view photos

Orbmiser says:

Yep why I stopped using Yahoo mail also as I detest Purple in web pages. And on white is Eye Jarring and induces Nausea .

view photos

snowy4052002 says:

This is very distracting--I don't like it at all--shame flickr keeps adding things that we do not like--almost like your trying to drive us all away!

view photos

mimbrava PRO says:

Thea Lamkin:
I am a Pro member, and I'm not supposed to be getting advertising, which is what the Yahoo toolbar is, or at least it's promotion, which amounts to the same thing. I certainly did not ask for it to be "easier to access other places in the Yahoo! network and make visiting Yahoo! pages a more seamless experience." Yahoo certainly has a penchant for ramming things down our throats. #YahooFailAgain.

Why the heck do you not give us options to turn offensive or undesirable things off?

view photos

kodiak xyza says:

jakerome:

someone had a OD of Barney The Dinosaur episodes with their kids.
the Y!-Barney bar is yet another design "mishap."

view photos

plaisanter~ PRO says:

What a turn off! I know I'll never be using it.

view photos

DFChurch PRO says:

Thea Lamkin:

Why do you bother with threads asking for feedback when no one ever replies to the feedback we give?

Just the color scheme of it alone is horrible. Plus we don't pay to come here to play games or read the news. We are here for pictures. And lastly, it's just a poor copy of google. Where's the originality?

Any replies coming?

view photos

falconn67 PRO says:

I'd wonder what the Yahoo CEO thinks, but it's not like she uses Flickr.

This crap is getting old.

view photos

plaisanter~ PRO says:

jakerome:

If you're not going to nuke it, for the love of Pete, change it to white text on a gray background.

+1

view photos

Linus Wärn says:

Honestly, Flickr is the only Yahoo site I use and would never EVER use this nav bar!

Why is Yahoo so user unfriendly?

view photos

L33Fly PRO says:

I liked the new Flickr until this. Why not just add another drop down menu next to Upload.

view photos

Nothing Signified PRO says:

Thea Lamkin:

The idea is to make it easier to access other places in the Yahoo! network and make visiting Yahoo! pages a more seamless experience.

I think I speak for many of us when I say that I have absolutely no interest in accessing much of anything in the Yahoo! network, and this obtrusive, ugly pop-up doesn't exactly increase my interest in Yahoo! It smacks of desperation on Yahoo's part. Successful companies don't rely on permaspam. (Also, it looks like it was taken from someone's Angelfire page from 1997.)

Furthermore, those of us with modern web browsers (surely the vast majority of Flickr users!) have deliberately eschewed unnecessary add-on bars for the precise reason that they make the internet experience less seamless. I enjoy my fast, uncluttered, efficient Chrome browser just the way it is, thank you. (For all of the reasons that Yahoo! would never have come up with a product like Chrome.)
Nothing Signified edited this topic 47 months ago.

view photos

victorvonsalza PRO says:

Thea Lamkin:

Thanks Thea, but that is the WRONG answer, in that there needs to be at least an option to remove it... it shouldn't be there at all, especially for paying members.

view photos

Vox Sciurorum PRO says:

With the welcome to new Flickr bar, Y! bar, and regular Flickr toolbar I'm reminded of a screenshot I saw of somebody who installed hundreds of browser toolbar addons and had no space left for browsing.

These bars seem to mess up scrolling because the real photo page scrolls a full screen height, not a full screen height less toolbars. That behavior may depend on browser and browser settings.

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

Regardless, I'm sure there will be a Firefox extension out by the end of the week that hides the thing. Hopefully Yahoo! realizes the stupidity of forcing a distracting purple bar onto their photo sharing site which they just finished reorienting to focus on the images. Then I won't have to install it.

The Purple reign must end.

Anyways, since you asked, that's my feedback. Cheers, and don't let us bastards get you down.

view photos

clickykbd PRO says:

I'll attempt to throw out some constructives, as I predict this will be fairly universally despised by old-schoolers and many new schoolers too.

1) Don't consume so much screen real estate. Put it all under the yahoo logo somewhere less obtrusive?

2) Allow us to customize it down to just the ones we are members of and use regularly?

3) Allow us to add to it. Yahoo Pipes is not there for example. Nor is Tumblr.

I realize flickr staff may have their hands tied on this one, but no harm in asking?

view photos

Seeking signs of enLightenment PRO says:

A ha - ok, I had posted on another thread.

Please - if I want to see Yahoo news, finance, sports, etc., (I don't typically), I will go directly to Yahoo.

This is now getting a bit ridiculous, please - I am borderline ready to bolt - I already have an acct on Ipernity.

view photos

Swifty PRO says:

Thea Lamkin:

I understand change is hard and usually met with opposition, but unfortunately, the only feedback I have at the moment is "no thanks" and a request for an opt-out option.

I've managed to (un-elegantly) block the bar using AdBlock on Chrome, but it's not an ideal solution for anyone.

view photos

DFChurch PRO says:

All these years and people have never needed help getting to the various parts of yahoo. Nowadays when everyone is computer literate why do feel we need help?

view photos

mimbrava PRO says:

jakerome
If you come across that Firefox extension, please share it on this thread. Thank you.

view photos

wackybadger PRO says:

Shouldn't this bar be a bit more conscious of what page it's on? Why is there a link to Flickr when I'm on Flickr and there's already a Flickr link there?

view photos

Jim Frazier PRO says:

I'm starting think Google+

As mentioned:

1. I have a pro account. That means no advertising. This is nothing but advertising. Call it something else if you want, but since I don't use ANY other yahoo services, it's advertising. And a waste of space.

2. You're already taking up real estate, now you're taking more.

3. The bar is ugly. Geez. And having a "groups" link on a page where we have Flickr groups is just totally stupid design.

Do you guys even think?

view photos

Shelly Sometimes says:

mimbrava:

+1

view photos

ColleenM says:

I'd also like to be able to customize the toolbar by moving Yahoo! services that I use frequently into the toolbar area, and hiding the less-frequently used services under the drop-down More menu.

While I'd prefer no toolbar at all (eats real estate, links to things I don't use, no links to things I do use) I realize that it's not going to go away. Could we make it more useful?

view photos

marcopperman says:

Thea Lamkin:

I quite frankly would have no idea Yahoo still existed if not for Flickr, and certainly wouldn't use it as its become redundant. So this is an ad, plain and simply, and I don't pay for Pro to see ads.

Happily, AdBlock easily removes this spam.

view photos

Nionyn_ PRO says:

Thea Lamkin:

The idea is to make it easier to access other places in the Yahoo! network and make visiting Yahoo! pages a more seamless experience.

No it's not. It's designed to make Yahoo more money.
Nobody wants it (apart from Yahoo, obviously) and you already know this from the previous bucket test feedback and the various threads here.
I know that you have to follow the company line but please don't act as though we're all idiots.
This also lets your photos benefit from a wider audience.

Yeah, sure. How exactly does that work, then? Just because more Yahoo sites now (presumably) also have been stuck with the new crapbar does not mean that any of those sites' users will have even the remotest interest in the millions of terrabytes of photos from smartphones that Flickr is now geared up to garner.

view photos

Nrbelex PRO says:

I understand this is not in the hands of the flickr developers, but perhaps you can pass this message up the totem pole:

I do not want Yahoo! peddling its junk above my images.

Additionally, I pay to have ads removed from flickr. As far as I'm concerned, these are ads, and paid subscribers should not see them. They don't belong on any pages, but I would start with paid subscribers'.

flickr will continue to lose its most loyal users over tone-deaf moves like this.

As long as we're stuck with this, my suggestions would be:

1. Place it on a side of the screen, not the top, where real estate is already limited. (But please, keep it as inconspicuous as possible.)

2. If it must be on the top, make it blend with the black bar that already exists.

3. No matter where it is placed, make it minimally invasive (i.e. a drop down from a single logo or link).

4. Allow users to close or at least collapse the bar (see 3).

Very disappointed.

Brett

P.S. - Note that tumblr doesn't have this insult added above it. Apparently flickr doesn't merit the independence tumblr has.
Nrbelex edited this topic 47 months ago.

view photos

Engine Shed PRO says:

"There is currently no option to opt-out or remove the tool bar. "

You have got to be kidding! I'm going to be polite and just suggest it really is dumb not to have an option to minimize it.

I suppose I should ask for my pro money back too...

view photos

marcopperman says:

mimbrava:

AdBlock easily removes it. And AdBlock is available for nearly all browsers.

view photos

Hairlover PRO says:

Understand that only you will see these changes on your Chrome or Firefox browser. Visitors to your account will see things as they were originally.

I have tried several different ways of removing that damnable Yahoo toobar from Flickr. This is the best and simplest method I've found for Chrome and Firefox.

► First, install Stylish for Chrome. Or, Stylish for FireFox. To simplify matters, ignore the big green Download button; click instead on "Stylish for Chrome install page." On the next page, click "Add to Chrome." Then "Add".

► Close and restart your browser and then add "Flickr: Remove Yahoo Nav Bar". Again, ignore the big green Download button -- it's an advertisement. Click "Install with Stylish".
This will remove that hideous Yahoo crapbar, with no side effects that I've encountered.
► In addition, I like this short script, "Flickr Static New Navigation Bar." It unpins the big black Flickr menu from the browser window and pins it to the browser page, so that it scrolls up out of sight, thus freeing up even more screen space.

Hairlover edited this topic 47 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Thea Lamkin says:

clickykbd:

Thanks for this feedback. I'll make sure to pass these and other points being brought up in the thread along.

view photos

marcopperman says:

AdBlock
AdBlock
AdBlock

view photos

mimbrava PRO says:

Shelly Sometimes
Thanks.

sparechangemedia
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to configure AdBlock to block it. Can you kindly tell me how?

view photos

Fort Photo PRO says:

I strongly urge Yahoo to ditch the navigation bar, it's imposing and creates a tacky double toolbar with the existing flickr one. It really looks cheesy and even appears for folks like me who pay to be a member. Please make it stop. ;-)

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

If we're going to have it, can it display correctly on Mobile Safari? The text is not centered vertically in the bar, it's tucked down closer to the bottom.

And before anyone rails against staff for this one, I suspect this decision came down from on high, out of their control.

view photos

Katy Noelle says:

emesmendo:

Completely agree!! I'm patient and roll with the changes but, for once, this is beyond annoying, superfluous, ugly, distracting and useless! Please, please take this off, yahoo! It makes me not like you!!!

view photos

Nothing Signified PRO says:

Jim Frazier:

a pro account [...] means no advertising. This is nothing but advertising. Call it something else if you want, but since I don't use ANY other yahoo services, it's advertising.

Ditto.

How desperately pathetic must Yahoo! be to break the terms of its contract with us, its customers, in hopes of a few more clicks? This is just a step or two away from email spam. Good thing Yahoo! doesn't know any email address I actually use.

view photos

striatic PRO says:

oh FFS flickr this is terrible.

view photos

rockymountainroz PRO says:

PLEASE, we have endured enough changes...remove the Yahoo bar from the top of my Flickr screen...I do not use even ONE of those things...you promised no ads for pro accounts...I hate that Yahoo bar.

view photos

DFChurch PRO says:

sparechangemedia:

What is the filter for it in AdBlock

view photos

Flickr Staff

Thea Lamkin says:

Vox Sciurorum:

These bars seem to mess up scrolling because the real photo page scrolls a full screen height, not a full screen height less toolbars. That behavior may depend on browser and browser settings.

Can you tell me more about what you're describing here?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Thea Lamkin says:

kmacgray:

If we're going to have it, can it display correctly on Mobile Safari? The text is not centered vertically in the bar, it's tucked down closer to the bottom.

Thanks for letting us know, I'll look into this.

And for anyone else seeing weird behavior with the toolbar on Flickr pages, please do describe what you're seeing.

view photos

Alec Hartman Photography: Concert Photography PRO says:

There is absolutely nothing positive about this toolbar.

Honestly, are you PURPOSELY trying to ruin this site? Every single change in the past month and a half has made this site significantly harder to use and navigate and has taken it further away from a professional photographic community. I've spent countless hours uploading all of my work to this site on two paid Pro accounts and to see it all go steadily down the drain with these irreversible changes is infuriating.

I can't see Flickr being around too much longer, at least not as a reputable site for photographers, if these kind of changes aren't undone or if further changes like this are made.

view photos

kevinspencer PRO says:

I'm ok with displaying this navbar on free accounts. By all means try to get revenue by steering those users towards other Yahoo properties. But surely paying customers shouldn't see it. Right? Or at the very least, have an option to disable it.

view photos

camcleat says:

Thea Lamkin:

Please let us know if you have any feedback,

Okay. I HATE IT. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

My quick and dirty Ad Blocker Plus fix:

(1) Create a custom filter...call it "DUMB A$$ YAHOO" or whatever suits you.

(2) Add the rule: ###yucs

Not perfect...but, it gets rid of the links at least.

view photos

Nature's Poetry says:

I have a Yahoo toolbar and I do not need or want another one on Flickr.It sticks out like a sore thumb and is so distracting! Please stop making things worse!

view photos

mimbrava PRO says:

lanimilbus II
"Honestly, are you PURPOSELY trying to ruin this site? Every single change in the past month and a half has made this site significantly harder to use and navigate and has taken it further away from a professional photographic community."

Yup. Pretty sad, isn't it?

view photos

Fort Photo PRO says:

I mean, if Yahoo is going to lord over flcikr couldn't they at least integrate the two toolbars into one unit (flickr toolbar + Yahoo toolbar)? I feel like a technophobe relative with multiple inadvertently installed toolbars dribbling down the page. Not only ugly, but highly annoying for someone who hacks the browser for more screen space. You can bet I will install an extension to block it or configure Adblock to do so, ick.

view photos

DFChurch PRO says:

The monetary loss from people who stop paying is something I'm sure they don't care about. With advertising dollars coming in they are good. But they are forcing more people to install AdBlock which in turn affects their revenue on all the Yahoo branded sites. They are forcing their audience to not be the type of audience they need.

view photos

clickykbd PRO says:

it's interesting to note that it is not "universal" to all yahoo properties... what does flickr have to do to get such a "pass" from corporate?

view photos

mimbrava PRO says:

Michael, if you configure AdBlock to block it, would you please tell me how to do that, too? Thanks.

view photos

Scott.L PRO says:

I too was finally getting used to the new page layout... and then this. It's awful. The color and space it takes is absolutely annoying. What makes it worse, is that I really do not use yahoo for any of the services they are offering in the links on the toolbar....so it's a complete waste of space for many of us who are only here for FLICKR.

Please remove the toolbar !

view photos

etherflyer PRO says:

I've got AdBlock (and a Pro account). How do I remove the bar?

----------

Thea, other than Flickr I don't use any Yahoo services — and I've been having lots of second thoughts about Flickr since 5/20. Leaving aside all my (apparently ignored) feedback about the Flickr redesign, here's a summary of why the bar is useless:

Mail: already got email accounts. Don't need more — especially not from a company that's demonstrated that it ignored its users' wishes.

News: already read several dozen news sources. Don't need another source of shallow headlines.

Sports: not interested.

Finance: if I want real finance news, Yahoo isn't where I'll go to get it.

Weather: Environment Canada is more accurate, so why would I look at Yahoo?

Games: got enough, don't need more.

Groups: got a few Flickr groups, don't need more virtual circles.

Answers: if I want answers, I'd rather look somewhere reliable, thanks.

Flickr: I'm already here, so why do I need a toolbar for it?

More: oh joy, yet more things I'm not interested in, or if I am I'd rather access a different way.

view photos

marcopperman says:

mimbrava:

I was able to right-click on the Y! toolbar and select an option that said "Block This Ad". It ran me through a simple try-before-you-block dialog, and then had a "Block" button at the bottom. It does not anchor the black Flickr to the top, though. It still floats.

view photos

marcopperman says:

etherflyer:

Well said.

Though I'd add that they don't know the first thing about spam filtering in their mail app.

view photos

st8ofmindz79 PRO says:

I just used the following plugin/addon to use css to hide the bar. Probably not the easiest and may need some tweaking in the future if html class/id names change, but it works for now.

Firefox
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-style-manager/

Chrome
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylebot/oiaejidbmkiecg...

body.with-eyebrow {
background-position: left top !important;
}
body.with-eyebrow #global-nav {
top: 0 !important;
}
#eyebrow {
display: none;
}

view photos

saint magenta PRO says:

wht? i'm a paying customer. what's this yahoo thing that i will NEVER use doing on my photostream?

view photos

Eimi1003 says:

If this is absolutely necessary, then I'm willing to compromise only on the condition that I can see it on my login page when I first login. But I don't want it above my photostream.

Is there any way to minimize it at the very least? It's so ugly and distracting.

Flickr is the only Yahoo related service I'm willing to use. I have no interest in other Yahoo products and services. I come to Flickr to enjoy pics. Not to browse Yahoo things, as I don't use other Yahoo services. Even if I did, I wouldn't be doing that when I'm using Flickr!

view photos

m. t. sullivan says:

Yes, please get rid of the yahoo navigation bar... you're assuming flickr users are yahoo users too and want this... I DON'T!!!

view photos

Carrie McGann PRO says:

I love it! It's very convenient. I just wish it would open up in a new window instead of having to use the back button to get back to Flickr.

And jakerome: I agree!

view photos

mimbrava PRO says:

sparechangemedia
Thanks, but if I right click it, I get a dropdown menu option that says AdBlock Plus: Block image, but then the next screen is too scary for me to act on. I don't want to mess anything up, and I don't think there's an Undo button.
:-(

EDIT: I was able to do what you suggested, but only on AdBlock Plus in Safari. It's not the same in Firefox.
mimbrava edited this topic 47 months ago.

view photos

Just Basic says:

Ugly. Distracting. Unseful (despite what Yahoo! thinks)
Flickr Staff, you can now go tell Yahoo "I told you they wouldn't like it"

view photos

michele in la PRO says:

I now only have about 6 inches of scrollable space on the flickr site - counter-productive when wanting to view photos as large as possible.

I can maybe understand that you want people to use your other products and want to show them at the top

However

Please let it and the whole top flickr menu bar scroll off the top of the web browser.....don't make it stay at the top - if I want the menus, it's too easy to scroll back up as compared to losing all that real estate.

Flickr is about viewing photos, not using menus to jump around all over the web.

view photos

marcopperman says:

etherflyer:

I was able to right-click on the Y! toolbar and select an option that said "Block This Ad". It ran me through a simple try-before-you-block dialog, and then had a "Block" button at the bottom. It does not anchor the black Flickr to the top, though. It still floats.

view photos

SMR Labs PRO says:

I think this is the one that drives me off.

It is amazingly ugly.

view photos

Hairlover PRO says:

Understand that only you will see these changes on your Chrome or Firefox browser. Visitors to your account will see things as they were originally.

I have tried several different ways of removing that damnable Yahoo toobar from Flickr. This is the best and simplest method I've found for Chrome and Firefox.

► First, install Stylish for Chrome. Or, Stylish for FireFox. To simplify matters, ignore the big green Download button; click instead on "Stylish for Chrome install page." On the next page, click "Add to Chrome." Then "Add".

► Close and restart your browser and then add "Flickr: Remove Yahoo Nav Bar". Again, ignore the big green Download button -- it's an advertisement. Click "Install with Stylish".
This will remove that hideous Yahoo crapbar, with no side effects that I've encountered.
► In addition, I like this short script, "Flickr Static New Navigation Bar." It unpins the big black Flickr menu from the browser window and pins it to the browser page, so that it scrolls up out of sight, thus freeing up even more screen space.

Hairlover edited this topic 47 months ago.

view photos

clickykbd PRO says:

Other idea would be toolbar that is aware of itself? Might behave like...

- If you arrived to flickr via the toolbar link... the toolbar stays.

- If you went to flickr directly (bookmark or typed the url)... no toolbar (until it follows you from some other yahoo property).

- If you arrive via a referring URL off flickr... toolbar for you too?

- If you arrive via a guest pass url, no toolbar (those visitors are already lost enough when they arrive).

- I also like the previous idea of paying users being able to hide it (just for their own view of flickr).

view photos

DeForestRanger says:

I did not sign up to be a bucket-test member, and I do not want the stupid toolbar on my pages. I am already sick to death of having to scroll, scroll, scroll to see if Flickr has "fetched" any photos in five minutes. I certainly don't need to be staring at an obnoxious toolbar I will never use.

view photos

Photocatvan says:

The folks at Yahoo and Marissa Mayer just don't know when to stop. I opened an account on Ipernity and have been trying to get used to the new Flickr. But really this is the last straw. Sorry folks. massive fail!

view photos

mimbrava PRO says:

Hairlover
Would you please advise exactly what you did on AdBlock Plus to remove the purple Yahoo navigation bar? (I'm on Firefox.)

view photos

DFChurch PRO says:

st8ofmindz79:

Worked great. Thanks!

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Here's a dumb question. According to Flickr staff:

"The idea is to make it easier to access other places in the Yahoo! network and make visiting Yahoo! pages a more seamless experience. This also lets your photos benefit from a wider audience."

Yet after I click on every item on that toolbar, NONE of those Yahoo pages actually has the toolbar. Why is Flickr the only Yahoo property with the toolbar?

And a follow-up question: how does me having to see this toolbar (for things I'll never use ever) let my "photos benefit from a wider audience"? Couldn't I turn it off and still gain that benefit? And since it's currently only visible on Flickr, how does that wider audience thing work again?

view photos

Ultimate Boudoir - Thanks for Five Million Views PRO says:

Thea Lamkin:

I think it's terrible. I don't use toolbars...hate them in fact, as I want to see what it is that I am looking at and not look at what is basically a bunch of links. I have a pro account that I pay for and if you think that forcing me to accept a toolbar is acceptable, I may be forced to cancel my multiple pro accounts!

When are you ever going to get the idea of giving people an option instead of forcing it down our throats.

FYI...Flickr is the only Yahoo function that I use, and that may not be for much longer if things like this keep occurring.

view photos

striatic PRO says:

Hairlover:

AdBlock Plus and Flickr Static Navigation Bar removes all of that ugly crap for me.

but it doesn't remove it for all the ad-blockless people visiting are supposedly beautiful photo pages.

here's the deal flickr ..

i am paying for "ad-free"

this top bar is an ad for yahoo properties.

i want it gone.

view photos

THE Halloween Queen PRO says:

DON'T "LIKE" THE NEW TOOL BAR!!!

DON'T WANT IT!!!

WON'T USE IT!!!

*** GIVE US THE OPTION TO REMOVE IT!!!!

ANOTHER PRIME EXAMPLE OF FLICKR MUCKING THINGS UP AND NOT ASKING FIRST!!!

I COME TO FLICKR TO POST AND SEE PHOTOS, I KNOW WHERE TO FIND ALL THAT OTHER CRAP, NAMELY IN MY FREAKING EMAIL THRU YAHOO, SO I DON'T NEED OR WANT THIS STUPID TOOL BAR.

IT TAKES UP MORE SPACE.

ANOTHER F'D UP CHANGE IN FLICKR THAT I AM PAYING FOR.

NOT LIKELY THEY WILL CHANGE ANYTHING ANYWAY. DID THEY FIX FLICKR BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS... AFTER EVERYBODY COMPLAINED... NO!!!

SO, I'M SURE WE ARE WASTING OUR TIME HERE.

view photos

clickykbd PRO says:

Be careful using adblock folks... You are liable to mess up everyone using adblock... because ad meta data is shared back to central indexes of such things.

Better would be to wait a few days for the well written userscript or usercss fix, with no repercussions for the wider internet.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

I love Flickr and all you guys there - but I made it clear during the initial bucket test that I absolutely hated this thing, and that was before the jarring contrast with the Flickr navbar. I love the dark grey Flickr one - this so hideously clashes it literally draws my eye to it constantly and it literally annoys the heck out of me. I already went over my phone's bandwidth limit from Flickring too much on it last month ;) but if I have to use my phone just to avoid this... I'm going to be seriously unhappy.

I want my black/grey Flickr one, but this Yahoo one is completely atrocious looking and detracts from the page. I don't want to click on it, I want to get away from it as. fast. as. possible.

I don't think I'm overstating that...

view photos

etherflyer PRO says:

:

Thanks. Blocked. I didn't know how to do that, because AdBlock has never shown me an ad until now.

Sucks that we've lost a bit more screen-space, but then I'm mostly using Flickr to (a) store pictures, and (b) read messages in groups. It's now too slow to make browsing pleasant, so I rarely look at actual pictures anymore.

view photos

Eimi1003 says:

Thea Lamkin:

The thing is, not all Flickr users use other Yahoo services. Even if they did, they come to Flickr to enjoy pics, not to browse Yahoo related services. Even if I were an avid Yahoo user, it's pointless. Those people would already have a Yahoo toolbar or something on their browser. Why increase the clutter?

As the only Yahoo related service I use and I'm interested in is Flickr, it's useless and distracting. I got my account via Facebook, not by Yahoo. Please allow those users like me to get rid of the toolbar, or at least the ability to minimize it.

view photos

ColleenM says:

The Searcher:

r, NONE of those Yahoo pages actually has the toolbar.

For me, they all have some kind of Yahoo! toolbar. News is the only one that has this purple one with these specific links.

view photos

stlnsk says:

I'm very sorry.
You guys clearly have a neverending determination in aesthetically and functionally ruining what used to be the best photo site on the internet.
I was optimistic and I gave feedback in these threads believing and hoping that you are working to improve what worked incorrectly. And now this ridiculous bar! It strikes me how flickr decided to lose as many users as possible. It doesn't take a professional to know this is not a sensible policy.

view photos

kevinspencer PRO says:

st8ofmindz79:

Thank you. Works like a charm. Navbar now gone.

view photos

mimbrava PRO says:

striatic
+1

view photos

GSEC PRO says:

This is corporate Yahoo hoping to pimp out and divert traffic from the gem that is Flickr to the rest of their failing network. I don't use the Yahoo network, and don't want to see even one line of pixels taking up space in the browser window to advertise the Yahoo network, especially at the top of every page. I pay to use Flicker to view, share, and focus on everyone's photos. These links belong on a startpage/portal, not a high quality photo site like Flickr.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 30
(1 to 100 of 3,000 replies in [Acknowledged] Yahoo Navigation Bar)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads