Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Amazon Appstore Flickr App End of Life
Latest: 11 minutes ago
[staff response] Unable to post comments
Latest: 2 days ago
[fixing- staff response] spam comment / mentioned you in a photo
[Official Thread] Login issues? Try this.

Current Discussion

What is happening please - locked out of account now back in but all changed
Latest: 4 minutes ago
Why No Share?
Latest: 56 minutes ago
Flickr to Instagram issues 12/25/17
Latest: 58 minutes ago
Group Settings Update to Ignore Photo Posting Limits
Latest: 69 minutes ago
Guest pass
Latest: 74 minutes ago
How to check roku wireless signal strength?
Latest: 4 hours ago
[won't fix] Attempting Facebook contact import results in 'username or password is incorrect' error
Latest: 7 hours ago
Is Organizer Flash dependent and if so what are the implications please?
Latest: 7 hours ago
Unable to join certain groups after "I agree" to their rules
Latest: 8 hours ago
iOS Notifications
Latest: 12 hours ago
Cancel Flickr Account
Latest: 13 hours ago
Using donated images.
Latest: 13 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Closed] How do I get the old interface back!!!

Fair Oaks Dave says:

The new UI is obnoxious and oversized!!!

How do I either get the old UI back or can I get a refund on my Pro account and go with a better photo sharing site?

I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE this new interface.
Posted at 6:18PM, 21 May 2013 PST ( permalink )
Thea Lamkin (staff) edited this topic 56 months ago.

view photos

Jerry2000_be (@ hotmail.com) says:

I also want it back, this goes much slower and I don,'t see clearly the titles ..
Posted 57 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

It's not coming back.

view photos

clickykbd PRO says:

www.flickr.com/help/limits/#150487675

view photos

berangberang says:

Get a lot of money. Find some competent web designers who actually know what design is. Bingo. You'll have a useable interface again.

view photos

Hoff ² says:

kmacgray:

You deleted the photos in your stream that linked you to Flickr/Yahoo? Since you obviously have some affiliation with Flickr, could you please tell Thea if there is a staff update coming soon?

view photos

Willowpoppy PRO says:

It's awful - I used to love flickr - it's now taking up sooooo much time to just view it let alone do basic stuff like editing. It's really frustrating.
Posted 56 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

StefanoLuciani67 says:

Agree. The new interface sucks. Any suggestion for other photo sharing sites?

view photos

Lovin Hubby (Read my Profile before Adding) says:

I used to log in just about everyday, as it was an enjoyable and easy place to look around. I haven't the patience or inclination to look around anymore, as I don't seem to be able to find what I want easily.

The home page and your own photostream used to be up in seconds and displayed everything I wanted, i.e stats, number of views, comments, total number of views. This new interface takes so long to load it is almost a disincentive to upload photos.

The landing page shows large photos whereas simple thumbnails are more helpful. Comments received are buried in a menu, why do I have to load large images on my photostream before getting a more useful page by clicking edit. I still haven't found out how to find out my total views.

This type of page used to come up when accessing peoples large favourite lists, and was very much of an annoyance then. So much so that I stopped looking at peoples favourites.

I will check in again in July and if it hasn't changed back then I shall just delete the account.

Thank you flickr for providing me with some fun over the past years.

And thank you flickr for turning what used to be a pleasurable part of the day into such a nightmare

view photos

Michael Smith PRO says:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633771838324/

view photos

grimset PRO says:

It's beyond terrible. It's downright disgusting. Flickr has FAILED. Big giant failure Flickr. What a disappointment. Who on earth designed this load of garbage?

view photos

Hanglebads / Jo Allen says:

I agree that the new format is utter rubbish. It's not just the fact that it's harder to navigate the site - the 'wall of photos' is slow to load and far, far worse, it turns sparkling individual photos into a random and messy wallpaper. Not what I want from Flickr.

view photos

pars.pro.toto says:

the new flickr really sux!
it was one of best (programmed) websites on the net ... clear, complex and user-friendly. and now? complicated, full of bugs, bad looking etc.
WANT THE OLD BACK! (Start an Avaaz petition...)

view photos

Geoff Oldfield says:

My customers were used to a simple, click on a link to see a slide show. Now.......utter confusion! Simply horrible GUI now!

view photos

Old Fogey 1942 PRO says:

Flickr has said they will not go back to the previous version.
Whether other sites suit you better depends on your requirements. For mine, there is no other that will do, despite the unholy mess that Flickr has created. The best option is to report bugs, state requirements/improvements, fight the more idiosyncratic changes.
We definitely need more flexibility and customization facilities.
There are separate "official" threads at the top, but I don't know how useful they are.

view photos

bladepdx5 PRO says:

I continue to beg of you - give us back the old interface. I hate everything about the new nonsense. I spend minutes at a time just trying to scroll to the bottom of the flickr homepage - new material keeps popping up, and it feels like I never get to the bottom! The main pages of any given section are far too noisy. I have had to quit following people because I can't sort it out without a headache, and I've had to quit sharing my material with other people because they get headaches too. Please, please, please. Enough.

view photos

Patrick Costello PRO says:

bladepdx5:

What's at the bottom of your home page that you want to get to?

view photos

ausfi says:

bladepdx5:

Don't try to scroll down with the justified, just click on a page, and from the photopage it is no problem, no justified! But if it's not the help forum you want , well...

view photos

ausfi:

That's why I asked, because there may be other ways to arrive at the same point. For example, you can get to help from the icon menu top right.

view photos

brynmeillion - JAN says:

Patrick Costello:

Take care with trying to get where you want with the menu on the top right as it pop's up and out when you put your cursor on it and you can often find yourself on your email etc, same with the other icon's. They have a mind of their own.

view photos

brynmeillion - JAN:

Thanks, but it behaves consistently / as expected for me. Firefox ESR 17.0.6 on Windows 7.

view photos

gregc8080 says:

What an awful mess. I haven't been on flickr in a few months, I signed on tonight and was aghast at what I saw. Somebody needs to tell the programming dept that not everybody on the planet has the latest and greatest 10ghz 32core hyperthreaded Intel gofast overdrive processor in their machines. Like a lot of people I have a machine that's 5+ years old and it's plenty fast for everything I need it to do, except a few websites like this one.
Flickr is obnoxious now. It takes *forever* to navigate to pages that used to come up almost instantly for me.
Great job flickr, You took something great and "improved" it into the ground.

view photos

Fantasyfan. says:

gregc8080:

yes, it was a shock to all of us. The new interface is just not usable. They just wanted something flashy to sell and forgot us users. I too would give a lot to get back that old classic view. Is that too much to ask to have such option?

There has been hundreds of similar requests, but no reply from Flickr staff except that they've closed the feedback topics. No wonder people are starting to get angry, disappointed and paranoid. It's been long time since last communication

But for your needs, I recommend Ipernity. There is lots of us already. And the small staff there is really nice and responsive. And pretty fast making needed changes too.

view photos

Michael Smith PRO says:

gregc8080:

Flickr works fine on my cheap six year old Dell.

view photos

elegantrockart says:

Count me in as a HATER of this new In-Your-Face Flickr format!!!!

view photos

amazingstoker PRO says:

Michael Smith:

Flickr works fine on my cheap six year old Dell.

I've a 2.8GHz quad core i7 6GB RAM FF21 Win7/64 and have real problems, particularly with image search.
What screen res do you use?
Are you doing searches that returning many hundreds or thousand of images?

view photos

Doug R. Matheson says:

I agree the changes make the site far FAR worse. To add insult to injury the response from flickr staff was awful. "Hate it? We really appreciate your feedback *giant toothy grin*. Please report bugs. Want an option to go back? Nope. You're going to like the new too much. Here is a 1 TB jar of Vaseline"

view photos

poppaJ says:

from the staff in the closed thread:

To put an end to speculation, and to hopefully give some people closure, the old site is not coming back. However, we will continue to improve upon the new pages, from their usability to their overall performance. These changes will be made according to a balance of qualitative feedback and data, both of which we are monitoring closely.

the bottom line is the staff and people that actually run flickr don't give a rats ass about people that loved flickr and came here every day to share and look at photos, make friends and interact on groups. it's all about $$$ the people that made flickr what is was are no more use to them.

It's been just a little over a month and every group I go to has a new or continuing "new flickr sucks" thread . . . that's sad!

view photos

kh1234567890 PRO says:

poppaJ:

it's all about $$$ the people that made flickr what is was are no more use to them.
screen.yahoo.com/yahoo-2013-annual-meeting-shareholders-1...

view photos

Double Reed PRO says:

Go the old way on Flickr. Does not bring everything up. Of course I am well aware that this probably be done away! I bring all of my sets up. Open up a set. At the very top as shown in the illustration the word detail is put at the very end. Then hit enter on your keyboard. This brings your set up the old way. To the right side is slideshow. Have no problem also with slideshow on Google Chrome. I save each set this way and put all of them in a folder on my desktop. They are all shortcuts. Click one time on a shortcut and it comes up. Hopefully when all of the bugs are fixed on the new Flickr everything will be ok? Example of detail put at the end
www.flickr.com/photos/52402611@N00/sets/72157594284048985...

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

You want to be careful there. The help forum isn't the place to call out individuals, in fact it's expressly forbidden. Keep your arguments to your own issues, and avoid getting personal. If someone doesn't have a grey box around their comments in the help forum, they are not staff. Period.

And just because people don't like the changes, that doesn't automatically mean they work for Ipernity. So the reverse of that I would think should also be true.

view photos

domie_cat says:

Is there somewhere an official flickr text telling what they will do about requests from users to get back the old layout or at least to get the choice ?

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

domie_cat:

To put an end to speculation, and to hopefully give some people closure, the old site is not coming back
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633771838324/

view photos

fsu666ftw says:

honestly, why dont we just keep making threads about how terrible it is?

someone over there will eventually get off their high horse and see what we're talking about. im sure theve already lost enough users from this..

give the people what they want flickr and stop ignoring them, or your destined for the way of the dodo bird

view photos

ColleenM says:

domie_cat:

what they will do about requests from users to get back the old layout

Nothing. It will not happen.

view photos

ColleenM says:

fsu666ftw:

im sure theve already lost enough users from this..

Here's some interesting information from Marissa's speech to stockholders today
Flickr, Yahoo's photo-sharing website, saw a 50 percent jump in mobile uploads since the relaunch, Mayer said. The site in general saw four times the number of uploads.

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

.repeat.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

The people who repeatedly ignore Flickr's rules and post topics not intended for the help forum, just get banned from the help forum. So that won't work here.

But you are totally free to post endless angry topics anywhere in the groups (as long as it abides each group's rules), or on your own photostream, or on any external blog or site of your choosing.

view photos

harefoot1066 PRO says:

My major peeve with the new format is the home page. I really do not want to be confronted with a screen cluttered with old comment stuff. If I want to revisit the comments, I can go to the images. And much as I'm interested in what photos my contacts take - why on earth do they have to take up so much room? And be there permanently as part of MY homepage? Surely thumbnails would suffice, even if they have to be a fixture.

The images certainly look better against a black background, but that could have been achieved without completely destroying everything else. But then - how would the design teams have justified their likely very high salaries, if they weren't tinkering with a product that worked well as it was?

view photos

kh1234567890 PRO says:

ColleenM:

The site in general saw four times the number of uploads.
'... but this has since dropped back to only about twice the pre 20th May rate.'

view photos

Michael Smith PRO says:

kh1234567890:

Wow. Only double the previous level. A catastrophe!

view photos

kh1234567890 PRO says:

kh1234567890:

'... but this has since dropped back to only about twice the pre 20th May rate.'
... much of which is sustained by Chinese dumpers such as youtv (currently with 463,552 images in their photostream and rising)

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads