Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

Flickr grandfathered Pro subscriptions
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Official Thread] All new Flickr galleries
Latest: 4 days ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 4 days ago

Current Discussion

Will deleting my account at Yahoo delete my photos on Flickr?
Latest: 14 minutes ago
Search results - viewing options
Latest: 2 hours ago
Problem uploading photos
Latest: 2 hours ago
Does flickr iphone app upload videos?
Latest: 5 hours ago
Changing Email Address
Latest: 9 hours ago
Adobe discount
Latest: 9 hours ago
Changing payment method to PayPal from credit card, will I lose my grandfathered Pro benefits
Latest: 11 hours ago
Uploadr stalls after few photos
Latest: 12 hours ago
SSL error when trying to login to App on iPhone
Latest: 13 hours ago
[Bug] Stats pages still missing
Latest: 17 hours ago
unable to view images beyond the one page
Latest: 19 hours ago
sharing and printing photos
Latest: 19 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Closed] Settings for New Yahoo Universal Header

www.toddklassy.com PRO says:

There must be something broken with Flickr. When I go into settings I don't see where Flickr allows me to turn off Yahoo's new universal header at the top of every Flickr page, because I think Flickr said that my Flickr pages would remain advertising free if I paid a premium for a Pro account, correct? So it must be broken, right?
Posted at 5:51PM, 9 May 2013 PDT ( permalink )
Thea Lamkin (staff) edited this topic 64 months ago.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Good luck with that
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633201655378/
Posted 65 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

It would seem they want no more discussion complaints on the matter. : /

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

I think they want discussion about it in the group dedicated to it. Since most of us can't see it, it's kind of weird to try talking about that thing we can't see. Apparently if you're on the test group you should have an alert or something sending you to the appropriate group.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

The Searcher:

I didn't have *any* link to a test group when the banner was at the top of my page, honestly. Perhaps they've created one now...?

view photos

erica_vagans says:

I get the yahoo toolbar, but can see no link to a test group in the link provided on the closed thread.

view photos

Greenery says:

Ditto, no requests to comment on the test. In fact, it's not very easy to communicate directly to Flickr about it. I sent them a message using their contact form. Yahoo responded with advice on how to scan my computer for viruses!

So, I've let my flickr pro account expire. Even if there is an opt out, I don't want to make friends and family who visit my pictures have to endure advertisements.

Thus ends almost ten years of flickr pro.

view photos

ceila♪♫♪ PRO says:

The Searcher:

FlyButtafly:

There are three private groups about the bucket test:
www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=flickr+bucket+test

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

ceila♪♫♪:

Yes, i know. None if them are related to the Yahoo toolbar last I checked.

view photos

Low Res PRO says:

^^^ +1 - doesn't seem to be a bucket test. And that link to remove it doesn't work any more. And Flickr doesn't seem to want to discuss it.

I don't intend on renewing my Pro account either if this isn't turned optional. Removing adds was almost the entire reason I turned "pro".

view photos

Flickr Staff

Thea Lamkin says:

Hey guys,

Feel free to further discuss the Universal Header in this thread -- it has no dedicated group, so this would be the right place for further feedback.

However, there are other bucket tests going on at the moment, and those do indeed have their own groups, accessible via a link on included users' Help Pages. ETA: Since these are being used for bug testing and specific feedback, please make sure you are actually in the related bucket before contributing. This makes it easier for us to pinpoint issues and act on them more quickly.

I closed the previous thread because the posts were no longer about the Universal Header. So let's keep this one on topic. Thanks!
Thea Lamkin (staff) edited this topic 65 months ago.

view photos

www.toddklassy.com PRO says:

On topic?

The Universal Header sucks to high heaven. Feel free to use it on the pages seen by users who don't pay for Flickr's service, but for those who pay a premium not to see adds and immerse themselves in the minimalist Flickr experience, please do away with it. It is utter nonsense.

That or remove the fee to go Pro. Your choice.

view photos

Zoom Lens says:

I can't wait to NOT have it!

view photos

ausfi says:

Yes, the Universal Header is an ad. It should not appear on pro pages that we pay for.

What is the use of discussion and giving one's opinion, if our opinions do not seem to matter in the least? It should be clear by now that people dislike the header. You cannot get all the millions of users to express their opinion in the Forum, so a sample should be enough. I do not remember that anyone would have welcomed it.
ausfi edited this topic 65 months ago.

view photos

aaardvaark PRO says:

Oh for f f ...for crying out loud. Just give me the means to extract my flickr files in one lot and I'm out of here. I don't like (understatement) the way flickr imposes 'tests' on us with no real means of communication, no discussion, no explanatoin, no opt-out. I don't know what a bucket test is but I seem to be in one and it's full of s---. I don't know why photo pages have gone bad on me so I only get the slideshow view. I don't know what the point of these changes are or what the ridiculous special pages/discussion groups are that allow me to comment on ...on ... on what? What exactly has been changed and what is just one of flickr's increasingly frequent 'hiccups'?

The whole experience is just going bad.

I'm an old fashioned kind of guy with a working attention span who doesn't want to spend his life wedded to following the increasingly frequent and increasingly gratuitous machinations of this ADHD-childlike service provider -- I just want a nice, predictable, functional, aesthetically pleasing place to put some photos and talk with a few like minded people.

Does anyone else think the marketeers have taken over the asylum? What happened to the folk who believe that what is best is what attracts the greatest number of subscribers and provides the best user experience? Gone, apparently. They seem to have been eaten by the value-adders and the monetisers .... the bright young things who see all the angles but not the big picture nor the long term. God help flickr.

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

aaardvaark:

Just give me the means to extract my flickr files in one lot and I'm out of here.

There are third-party tools that will do that for you.

view photos

ausfi says:

aaardvaark:

Good!

view photos

Trish Hamme PRO says:

aaardvaark:

+ 1

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

"what is best is what attracts the greatest number of subscribers and provides the best user experience"

What if that's the new thing, and not the old thing? Then will the changes be ok?

view photos

erica_vagans says:

"Feel free to further discuss the Universal Header in this thread". OK. I hate it.

view photos

aaardvaark PRO says:

The Searcher: Yes, but deciding what works is not so easy, and if in doubt, don't.

Lú_: Great! Can you point me to one, or how I might find one please? And do they enable you to take your whole history including comments and contacts with you?

view photos

Brousseau says:

As a long time Flickr user I hate seeing this detract form the clean flickr experience for myself but it also has a significant negative impact on new user. Teaching new users where to find things is more complicated than ever and now yahoo is highlight all their other sites over the one and only site i give any value to and pay for.

This won't help yahoo regain anything lost to google or facebook, only drive more people away, i have harder and harder time trying to convince people to view picture here and yahoo is only making that harder.

Nobody comes to flickr for weather, games and news, we come for pictures.

view photos

ceila♪♫♪ PRO says:

Brousseau:

+1

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

So we now have a second thread about the same topic here ... Did flickr staff close the other topic hoping for better feedback I wonder here ... I still definitely think the yahoo bar is a very bad idea....

The first thread about the same topic .. ( Weird Yahoo nav bar on Flickr site)
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633201655378/

There are also 3 test groups that give no explanation about what is being bucket tested, or why...

Flickr Bucket Testing
www.flickr.com/groups/2189760@N20/

Flickr Bucket Testing - Bugs & Feedback
www.flickr.com/groups/2244289@N22/

www.flickr.com/groups/2168715@N25/
Flickr Bucket Testing - Bugs and Feedback
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 65 months ago.

view photos

Kotomi_ says:

Since around 2 weeks ago, my Flickr pages show, so called, Universal Header (now I know the word... I called it "Yahoo bar"...).
Simply I hate it.
Even Flickr bar was annoy, universal bar takes more space in addition of Flickr bar.
I fixed Flickr bar on the top of the screen, by following this flic.kr/p/egvEh8, but this method doesn't work for Universal Header.
Flickr is for visual / photographs, I just want to see photographs themselves in clear/clean/large format.
It should be able to opt-out or scrollable at least.

view photos

ceila♪♫♪ PRO says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

I'm still wondering...

view photos

ColleenM says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

There are also 3 test groups that give no explanation about what is being bucket tested, or why...

The first group is a test of a new search feature.

The second group is a test of a new photopage.

The third group is a test of a new home page. That test has been turned off while staff work on some changes.

This thread is for feedback about the new Yahoo! tool bar. Since the last thread was closed by staff because it got too far off topic, it's probably not a good idea to start discussing those other tests here.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

"but deciding what works is not so easy, and if in doubt, don't."

If that were the attitude of designers and inventors, we wouldn't have touch-screen smartphones, or LCD televisions, or cars. It absolutely is not easy to figure out what works, but to stay stagnant while everyone else evolves and advances, is a sure death.

view photos

ColleenM says:

aaardvaark:

deciding what works is not so easy, and if in doubt, don't.

Here's why "don't" is not an option:

Disrupt or Die. Steven Sinofsky was a Microsoft employee who was seen as a potential successor to Steve Ballmer

view photos

allanshookphoto says:

flickr,
I want out of the test group for the Yahoo! navigation bar.
The test is over, the verdict is in, it sucks. Yahoo! sucks. Get the Yahoo! nav bar off the top of my flickr page, NOW!

I honestly don't know how I can make it any more clear.

view photos

Patrick Costello PRO says:

allanshookphoto:

You are assuming the test is whether you want it. Much more likely they are testing the functionality before rolling it out to everyone.

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

ColleenM:

Here's why "don't" is not an option:

that link informs me the iphone sucks at making calls but that turned out ok as its good at other things

so does that mean the visual experience here on flickr no longer matters
and it going to be better for doing other things?

what are we going to do here? start playing games instead ?

view photos

allanshookphoto says:

Does anyone here actually work for flickr/Yahoo!? Or are there just a bunch of moderators who, for some reason stick up for Yahoo and defend their bad decisions for free?

Yahoo!/flickr, we are your customers, we are telling you to get rid of the Yahoo navigation bar. I don't care if it is a test. I don't care if I am in a test group. You are not understanding me when I tell you that I don't want to see a Yahoo navigation bar on my flickr page. It takes up too much room!

I would hate to have to delete my flickr account, but I am "this" close!

view photos

Яick Harris PRO says:

allanshookphoto:

you have high expectations for a free account. Really how much are you paying for this service? And you're expecting a personalized response. Get real

view photos

ColleenM says:

Dorsetdunk:

The point of the article is that companies are caught in a "damned if they do/damned if they don't" dilemma.

So instead of only listening to their loyal customers who want them to make perfect buggy whips, they take the risk by innovating and making stuff for automobiles.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

You can tell staff in the help forum because they have grey boxes around their responses, and it says "staff" under their icons.

It must be a bit awkward to think "Yahoo sucks" yet be here using one of their services. I would think you could just vote your opinion of their service with your feet.

Good thing it's free!
The Searcher edited this topic 65 months ago.

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

ColleenM:
when all the feedback from loyal customers and otherwise is negative from the unmentionable in the unmentionable groups (removed by staff)
now you know flickr inside out and privy to a lot of info can you kindly direct us to some positive feedback ?

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Generally people use the help forum to complain. Thus an absence of actual positive feedback isn't necessarily an indictment of a thing. In fact you could infer (similarly incorrectly) that the non-feedback of 20+ million users is essentially approval.

While I personally dislike the toolbar, I have no way to measure whether or not I'm in the minority or not. And as others have said, the testing is very likely not about gauging our interest, it's about bug and usability testing. Since it's Yahoo, and Flickr is part of Yahoo, Flickr itself probably has very little say in whether the toolbar stays or not. If they're embarking on a universal service corralling, then it's just going to happen.

It's no different than Google's toolbar, other than the fact that I actually use several Google services. I figure the sooner it's implemented then the sooner someone can make me a browser plugin to remove it.
The Searcher edited this topic 65 months ago.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Dorsetdunk:

direct us to some positive feedback ?

That's the point of the article.

There don't have to be ANY positive comments from current customers to make it a good business decision.

All Yahoo! has to do is count the number of clicks and page views by the people who aren't posting comments and compare them to the clicks and page views by the people who are.

If the not-unhappy customers keep using the site then there's no downside for Yahoo! They reach out to new customers, keep most of the current customers happy, and (perhaps) lose the small number of unhappy customers. If past experience is any guide, 90% of the people who say they are leaving will still be here complaining the next time a site change is made.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

allanshookphoto:

Does anyone here actually work for flickr/Yahoo!?

Yes.

Staff have posted in this topic.

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

the toolbar is a minor inconvenience and hopefully easily removed yourself if it disrupts the viewing experience

:
I do hope your right Colleen , screenshots and the feedback so far do not amount to much yet ,but still would like to see more buzz and enthusiasm from flickr and others about the upcoming changes

view photos

allanshookphoto says:

So, the message from the flickr staff is:

We don't care, you don't matter, shut up or go away, we will do whatever we like.

Why do I have to do all this detective work? I don't care about the inner workings Yahoo! inc. or what flickr employee is responsible for what function, or even what discussion forum is for what topic. I have this piece of crap navigation bar on the top on my flickr account, and I just want it gone.

So, tell me once again, does flickr just want me, and the rest of their customers to just shut up and f*ck off already!

flickr is really starting to suck more and more every day.

Attn: flickr employees. You should be embarrassed and ashamed of the company you work for and your accomplishments, slowly ruining what was once a perfectly good concept for a photo sharing website. Boo.

view photos

Nionyn_ PRO says:

allanshookphoto:

No matter how annoyed you might be, please pay attention to the replies people have given you.

You are paying not a single bean for the service you get from Flickr. Therefore neither Flickr nor, more relevantly, Yahoo are likely to give two hoots how you as an individual feel. They don't make a penny from you so why would they?

As to your admonishments aimed at Flickr's employees... Flickr is owned by Yahoo. Flickr's staff might well all think that this new crapbar is as dreadful and hateful as everyone else here evidently does, but they are unlikely to be in a position to do anything at all about it. And agreeing publicly here with everyone else who hates it would be most unlikely to do them any good - in fact precisely the opposite. It's even quite possible that they have been ordered (in no uncertain terms) to offer no opinion on the matter but instead to stick to a corporate script on the matter.

Complain away, but please consider who you're complaining to, and who you're complaining about - and try to complain about the people who actually are responsible for the crappiness. :-)

view photos

allanshookphoto says:

Nionyn_:

I have several flickr accounts, some paid pro account, and some free, some for work, and some for personal use. So, flickr and Yahoo Inc. are making money from me, I am a paying customer, and my opinion about the "crapbar", which is the same opinion as everyone else here, does matter.

flickr employees,
Don't take this personally, but please tell your boss, and your bosses boss, that I said that the Yahoo Nav Bar sucks and I want it gone. You can quote me. Get them to email me back if they want to discuss it.
allanshookphoto edited this topic 65 months ago.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

allanshookphoto:

Honestly I find it incredibly interesting that you have been here not even a year and a half (according to your current profile; I was typing that and had to do something halfway through and neglected to hit preview before posting) and you're already claiming Yahoo is ruining Flickr.

This site has always been in (somewhat) a state of flux and change; those years where it's been minimal, people have complained that there isn't *enough* change. Just look through existing topics in the Ideas group to see how much people want change.

Granted, no one requested a Yahoo bar (and I hate it, personally) but the point is - there will always be changes that we like, and that we don't like. We complain when we don't, and if that doesn't do any good we either put up with it or leave. But throwing a virtual temper tantrum doesn't really help anyone.

view photos

ColleenM says:

allanshookphoto:

the message from the flickr Yahoo! staff is:
.... we will do whatever we like makes the most money.

Flickr has been owned by Yahoo! for 8 years. The original developers, for the most part, are long gone.

You're complaining because the supermarket acquired your favorite neighborhood bakery, and now you have to walk through the supermarket to get to the fresh bread and rolls, which aren't even being baked by the baker and her apprentices any more.

Yahoo! is going to do whatever gets them the most clicks and the most money. They can measure that very accurately without any inputs from users. The illusion that Flickr is still some cozy little independent site, run by a small group of devoted staff who have personal relationships with their customers should have worn off sometime in the last 8 years.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

allanshookphoto:

I am a paying customer, and my opinion about the "crapbar", which is the same opinion as everyone else here, does matter

This seems to be the refrain of most of those complaining about the crapbar (I had it and hated it, it's gone now for some reason). Having a paid account is irrelevant, and it does not entitle anyone to any special rights.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Your opinion does matter. It just may not matter as much as you would like. If there's a net-positive for Flickr/Yahoo to have the toolbar, and that is greater than the net-negative of some users' unhappy feelings about it, then the toolbar wins.

So it's not futile, registering the feedback. But it's also not as important a metric as we might wish.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

A lot of companies these days, both on the web as well as brick and mortar, have gotten themselves into a remodeling cycle and are convinced it's a good thing, regardless of whether there's any proof of it. It's kind of a fad to rebrand and retool every so often, even at the expense of existing loyal customers.

Walmart, McDonald's, and other national chains change their "look and feel" every few years hoping to draw in the few remaining potential customers, even if it means dropping product lines or features that existing customers stayed for.

The hope is that existing customers will be in enough of a habit to keep coming, while the fallen-away customers will return and new customers will be attracted.

In most cases, it would have been enough to give the store a good cleaning and fix the stuff that customers had been complaining about -- slow cashiers, pricing errors, messed-up orders, etc. (or in Flickr's case: slow help-by-email, regularly occurring farm bugs, uploading quirks, search bugs, map errors, incorrect location names, and so on.) And it probably would have saved them a lot of money too.

[I realize it doesn't help to use Walmart and McDonald's as examples, since they're relatively successful. But the point isn't whether they're successful or profitable, but whether they could have done just as well with a general housecleaning.]

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

Wil C. Fry:

+1

view photos

ColleenM says:

I worked at one large retail establishment that had as one of its promises, "fresh". They used the word 'fresh' in a lot of their promotional activity.

The kicker was when they reset the clothing department with a "fresh" layout. That involved a mirror-image flip. Did nothing to actually change the layout. Irritated the hell out of old customers who couldn't find things. And I have my serious doubts about it being more attractive to new customers if the old one wasn't.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Some users want to Flickr to change and evolve to keep up with the competition. Other users don't want a single thing to change, because their life will be destroyed (sounds dramatic, but it isn't that far off from some of the comments that have been made over site changes).

Who wins?

Websites are never "done". If they were, they'd be dead in an instant.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

ColleenM

I worked at several large supermarkets. All of them completely changed the aisle layout every 2-3 years. They all relied on a study done in the '80s that said it actually increased impulse buying. But none took into account (as far as I can tell) the increased frustration on the part of regular customers, not to mention the decrease in efficiency on the part of stockers and price-checkers, and man-hours devoted to moving all the product and shelving.

Perhaps it should be noted that none of those stores are currently open today.

kmacgray

"Some users want to Flickr to change and evolve to keep up with the competition. Other users don't want a single thing to change"

I'm one of those users who'd like to see changes to Flickr (see my posts in the Ideas group where relatively few of Flickr's new changes ever come from). From my perusals in that group, it looks like most of the feature requests and ideas for change assume that most of the site would remain as-is, with minor additions or tweaks.

Almost all of these suggestions/requests are proposed with the goal of making the site more functional, easier to use, easier to understand, or better looking. This is why I've suggested that Flickr get more of their ideas from that group instead of inventing them from thin air or copying them from other increasingly popular sites.

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

haythamh:

Feel free to use it on the pages seen by users who don't pay for Flickr's service,

You do realize that you're posting from a free account?

view photos

ColleenM says:

RubyMae:

That one is a subtle spam post.

He's quoting from two different prior posts in two different spam posts. Here's the original "sucks" post
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633459717740/#reply7...

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

ColleenM:

Yes, I suspected as much.

view photos

ColleenM says:

marwa1978:

There is no group for feedback about the toolbar. The place for feedback is this thread.

view photos

Zoom Lens says:

Amen!

Plus, as far as toolbars/nav bars go it should be noted that IE is so ego-free that if you press F11 their whole damn thing disappears, leaving your entire screen free to peruse content, visual or otherwise.

view photos

Dooquie PRO says:

I am so sick of seeing this lame toolbar and have complained multiple times to Flickr / Yahoo to no avail. They sent me a link saying to just hit the x in the right hand corner to turn it off, but there is no x in the right hand corner! Amazing that we are paying for Yahoo advertising. TO top it all off Flickr has not really changed a thing in the seven years that I have been paying for Pro. Think it is time to move everything over to 500px. Just wish I could get my money back from Flickr.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Dooquie:

lickr has not really changed a thing in the seven years that I have been paying for Pro.

You must have missed:
HD Video
new Uploader
Tweeting from Flickr
Redesigned search function
Galleries
The App Garden
New shopping cart
New photopage
Getty licensing
Open ID with Google
Sticky threads in groups
Account restorations
Geo fences
Justified image display
New web uploader
New exif displays

And a few other events that caused people to rant in the Help Forum, declare their abhorrence of the new features and promise to leave forever.

view photos

Zoom Lens says:

Wow...so you joined in May of this year and have no photostream but you've got this gig all figured out huh?

view photos

ColleenM says:

Zoom Lens:

He's an inept spammer. He managed to copy my entire post but was unable to insert his own link

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

ColleenM:

Also:

Broken Facebook sharing integration
"from Yahoo" added to the Flickr logo
Non-square buttons

: )

view photos

Zoom Lens says:

-- :)

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

"To top it all off Flickr has not really changed a thing in the seven years that I have been paying for Pro"

Well then good news! Head on over to the "bucket test group" and check out some of the careful-what-you-wish-for goodness!

view photos

Dooquie PRO says:

Wow just got beat up by a bunch of internet peoples.

view photos

Яick Harris PRO says:

kmacgray:

Let's not forget Santa Hats -- yes the good people of flickr, complained about Santa Hats.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Яick Harris:

Thank you. It was so traumatic, I must have blocked it out.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

Яick Harris:

And TLAP day!

view photos

Яick Harris PRO says:

FlyButtafly:

TLAP day? Must've blocked that out too, what is it?

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Яick Harris:

Arrrrr, matey, how could ye forget?!

view photos

Яick Harris PRO says:

Lú_:

haven't had me rum yet, arrrrrrrr!!!

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

Яick Harris:

Aye, it were a tumultuous day fer the lubbers it were!

Aye, Even Flickr Talks Like the Brethren...

view photos

Яick Harris PRO says:

FlyButtafly:

Arrrr, it brings a tear to me eye. What an ugly home page, good thing they changed it :)

view photos

Pacdog PRO says:

That made me lol..

I really liked that pirate and the ho ho ho!!!

Memories..

view photos

Pacdog PRO says:

FlyButtafly:

52 messages? No wounder why you never replied to my message!!

=o/~

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

Arrrrganize, that is so awesome. I can't believe I never saw this before. Looking at my own archives, it appears I was travelling that day, so I guess I never got on Flickr. Now I'm all sad.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

Pacdog:

Awww - did I miss one? :O

Sorry. :(

Яick Harris:

Amazing to look back and see how *much* they changed it!

mag3737:

You really missed out. :/ They even had a pirate help forum. It seems to have been deleted, as I had a particular thread bookmarked and can't access it any more - but it was arrrrrsome. :D

And of course there were the usual party poopers who decried any sort of change on their Flickr pages/thought Flickr had been hacked/complained that it was SO unprofessional... ;)

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

(heeee - I didn't realize I had linked the thread from the screenshot's description... it's still there!)

view photos

ausfi says:

FlyButtafly:

Aaargghh! I missed that, I was on flickr the day before and the day after.

view photos

STCsport PRO says:

Have just wasted 2+hrs rummaging around in an attempt to get rid of this poxy yucs-top-bar (Yahoo bar) without any success. Other than some GreaseMonkey extension, there must be, must be, must be a way to get rid of it.
Have two accounts and one has it and the other doesn't. If we are in some sort of test group, then surely we can opt out it.
Beyond unimpressed!!

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

STCsport:

not got the bar yet but have used this on flickr and other sites

for firefox ,chrome opera etc
adblockplus.org/en/firefox
there is also an additional element remover for firefox that makes it easy just to right click and remove elements

view photos

heet_myser says:

I, too, consider this an ad. I've been paying for Flickr since 2004, so I suppose I have as much "right" as anyone to complain about this. I'm not using a third-party script or code or some other ridiculous voodoo to kill what should be dismissable via a simple user setting.

view photos

heet_myser says:

I mean, did Flickr *really* ever need to put this out there even semi-publicly to figure out it's a terrible idea?

flickr

view photos

heet_myser says:

Thea Lamkin:

Thea, I've been looking at the difference between the Universal Header used here and the one used on Google. I see two main issues:

1. If I go to Yahoo! Sports from the Universal Header in Flickr, there's no Universal Header on the Yahoo! Sports page. This is the same for every other Yahoo! property listed in the Universal Header. Is this because the Universal Header is merely a test on Flickr only, or is it because you're trying to push valuable Flickr customers to other Yahoo! properties? Either way, you need to bring Flickr up to parity, design-wise, with your other properties.

2. Having two menu bars stacked right on top of each other is an absolutely *terrible* design choice, aesthetically and from a usability standpoint.

As a member of the Universal Header bucket test and paying Flickr member since 2004, I now respectfully request to be removed from the bucket test for this feature.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

h_m
Posted 64 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

heet_myser says:

Thea Lamkin:

Hey, it's me again, and I still haven't forgotten about the Universal Header, seeing as how it's still displayed on my Flickr account.

OK, I've tested it. Here's my feedback: It blows. There is no way in which it does *not* blow, particularly seeing as how it has *nothing* to do with my Flickr experience (but EVERYTHING to do with my Yahoo! "experience.")

Let's you and I decide -- right now, together -- that Yahoo! doesn't need to provide me another excuse to feel alienated from and by Flickr. I'm patient, and I'm understanding, and I'm cooperative, but every man has his breaking point, amiright? Thanks.

view photos

ßlϋeωãvε PRO says:

The Yahoo! header has returned to my Flickr pages with no changes from before, e.g. the Flickr link is still on it! :-(

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Yep, looks like I've been dropped into the bucket test again. The toolbar just showed up.

view photos

mimbrava PRO says:

Dammit, Yahoo. I do not want that header! Dump it! As far as I'm concerned, it's advertising, and I'm supposed to have an ad-free Pro account.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

It's not advertising. Advertising is paid placement by a third party. This is just Yahoo pushing their own stuff.

view photos

tasteful cherries says:

can it be made that the inevitable Y!-Barney bar take some real estate from the Flickr bar, rather than the browser's page view?
is there another website so invasive with tool bars than this one?
not sure if this is worse than MS Office's toolbar monster,
but it is up there. (eta: pun really not intended.)

view photos

mimbrava PRO says:

A company pushing its own stuff IS advertising (or promotion), and I consider that something I should not be subjected to as a Pro member.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Thea Lamkin says:

Redirecting to this more recent thread: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157634438561292/

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

mimbrava:

Promotion, yes. Marketing, yes. Advertising, no.

It still stinks, though.

view photos

plaisanter~ PRO says:

Rats! I sure won't be using that toolbar.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Thea Lamkin:

Thea, this isn't closed...

view photos

DFChurch PRO says:

At least the google toolbar is attractive. This purple on gray is just ugly.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads