Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 13 hours ago
Flickr grandfathered Pro subscriptions
Latest: 14 hours ago
[Official Thread] All new Flickr galleries
Latest: 6 days ago

Current Discussion

Continually having to refresh screen
Latest: 28 minutes ago
One Gif works, the other doesn't
Latest: 85 minutes ago
Missing followers
Latest: 3 hours ago
Mark favorite Photos and then run them as a Photostream
Latest: 3 hours ago
Why do number of photos displayed vary from day to day?
Latest: 4 hours ago
Tags - why are they not working??
Latest: 6 hours ago
My Flickr got deleted AFTER i commented. WHY??
Latest: 7 hours ago
Flickr Pro Cancellation
Latest: 7 hours ago
Uploader re-authorized; will it avoid re-uploading photos?
Latest: 11 hours ago
Missing Email Notifications (Again)
Latest: 12 hours ago
Fall off in total views
Latest: 12 hours ago
How to use flicker for websites
Latest: 13 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Closed] Weird Yahoo nav bar on Flickr site

FlyButtafly PRO says:

Earlier today, this showed up on the top of my flickr pages:

Screenshot

I'm still getting intermittent borked pages, which also contain the extra yahoo nav links:
Screenshot2

I've asked a few others if they've seen it, and apparently I'm the only one. How did it get there? How do I get it off? It stays visible when I scroll down (even though I'm on an iphone) and it's irritating and gets in my way. I've almost clicked one of the links several times by accident. iOS 6.0.1, iphone 4Gs

:(

eta: This is what it looks like on my desktop (the one on my phone has disappeared)

flickrscreenshot

ETA2: There is a temporary opt-out that removes the bar, but it also removes the Flickr nav bar too (and gives you the old-style navigation.) If you want to do that, click this link:
flickr.com/temporary_nav_opt_out/

If you decide you want the new nav back, click this:
flickr.com/temporary_nav_opt_in/
Posted at 6:54PM, 8 April 2013 PDT ( permalink )
Thea Lamkin (staff) edited this topic 66 months ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5
(1 to 100 of 425 replies in [Closed] Weird Yahoo nav bar on Flickr site)
view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

I should add when I'm zoomed out and at the top of the page, the full bar appears above the Flickr one.
Posted 67 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

joeysplanting says:

I see it on my Flickr page too and want to get rid of it!!!

view photos

scrapping61 PRO says:

I have it too on Chrome since Friday or Saturday, can't find any way to get rid of it... Hate it

view photos

Brock says:

I've been getting a lot of style sheet issues (when just the links show up) over the last few days.

view photos

Trapac PRO says:

Yesterday was terrible for style sheet issues all afternoon - shortly after clicking any number of links within flickr, the page would just hang up on the url of the page I was heading to, sometimes with the pages FlyButtafly has shown ^^^, sometimes with nothing at all - just blank pages. All other sites/non flickr tabs loading promptly. I'm on Firefox.

Seems better today.

So far.

view photos

Trapac PRO says:

Ach - that'll teach me - I'm guessing it all ties in with:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633188793322/...

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

FYI, there's also an existing topic for the stylesheet issue:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633176045995/

view photos

Trapac PRO says:

kmacgray Thanks, I missed that first time around. Ironically it just happened again, so I did a screencap and posted on that thread. :)

view photos

Andrew T's Archives says:

Is this an intentional change? Combined, the fixed navigation bars hog over 10% of my usable page space at 1024x768 resolution...and the new Yahoo bar doesn't even contain links to any tools I make use of, so it's worse than useless.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

Yeah, the only reason I included the borked page screenshot was to show it also has the Yahoo links. Part of me wondered whether they may be related. Either way, I don't use anything Yahoo except Flickr - and it almost feels like having an ad for Yahoo shoved in my face. Especially being on my phone - it doesn't go away when I scroll down, so I can't even get away from it. And I'm finding similar issues with it (that were initially reported with the Flickr nav bar) getting caught in the middle of the screen when scrolling, and occasionally covering the comment box.

And it's blue text. It completely stands out and says, "Look at me!"

It's just really irritating, and if Yahoo's going to start polluting our Flickr experience like this (they're already spamming our groups) then I'm rapidly approaching the threshold for what I will put up with. If Flickr's being assimilated, I don't want to come along for the ride.

view photos

tasteful cherries says:

it may seem like they will follow the Google approach (surprise!),
where you get the top bar for all the properties,
and there is one ID for all the properties.

Facebook now has that "silly" home screen.

we (those that use Flickr only) will find it inconvenient,
but it seems that it will be useful to them and holding on to users.

nothing has changed since people made IE the most popular browser,
just because it was integrated to the desktop.
now this is applied to the web.

view photos

Jim, the Photographer says:

I don't use Yahoo either, except to log into flickr. Why do we need this menu bar to take up space on our screen?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Xerxes2K says:

Hi all,

sorry for the confusion. We're currently running a bucket test and a small percentage of you will see the new Yahoo! navigation bar. It's a work in progress, so please keep the feedback coming to let us know what you like and how we can improve it.

Kay

view photos

ernstkers PRO says:

Xerxes2K:

a small percentage of you will see the new Yahoo! navigation bar. It's a work in progress, so please keep the feedback coming to let us know what you like and how we can improve it.

Easy: do NOT put an unwanted and complete useless Yahoo! navigation bar on Flickr.

view photos

jess_huddy says:

I understand what Yahoo is trying to do by adding this toolbar to Flickr, but I don't use any other Yahoo services. All it does is sit there and be useless. Please don't keep this change to the Flickr site.

view photos

Brock says:

We're currently running a bucket test and a small percentage of you will see the new Yahoo! navigation bar

That is getting close to critical mass for me to consider dropping Flickr. Please reconsider this. What a horrible, horrible idea.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

I do not like it.

I do not want it.

The only improvement would be to take it away, permanently.

Like I said above, I'm rapidly approaching the threshold for what I will put up with. If Flickr's being assimilated, I don't want to come along for the ride.

view photos

tasteful cherries says:

Brock said:

Please reconsider this. What a horrible, horrible idea.
— agreed, but I would think it is inevitable.
Yahoo is the last (?!?) company to aggregate properties.

I am not sure how Flickr would remain independent,
given the mining of users that can come from it.

there is no "old timers" variables in cost/benefit analysis.
is there?

maybe time to "reblog" this [ link ].

view photos

coordinated vest says:

There's always Zooomr!

view photos

Mawhrin Skel says:

Do what you like so long as there's a large 'GO AWAY' button.

-

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

Oh goodness, yes. This would kill flickr for me. Enough screen space is already taken up by flickr's fixed navigation bar.

view photos

austenhaines says:

This would definitely kill flickr for me. Yes of course you (the staff) are used to people saying i will quit flickr if, if, if etc. But please look at who is saying it this time.

The only yahoo product i use is flickr. this will definitely end it for me. Just saying. Im guessing that you dont mind about people leaving? And so my voice wont really be heard, but i have to at least add my voice BEFORE this change is implemented.

And as RubyMae says, i have lost enough screen space already with the fixed navigation bar.

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

Xerxes2K:

please keep the feedback coming to let us know what you like and how we can improve it.

Please, please, please, please, please NO. My screen real estate is supposed to be mine.

view photos

Pacdog PRO says:

Can't We just make another script to get rid of it?

I also don't like it taking up more space on my screen. I do use other yahoo sites, but I use bookmarks!!

Tell Us how this change will make Flickr better?

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

Please provide an option to make it permanently hidden if Yahoo! decides, in its infinite wisdom, to add another stuck to top toolbar on Flickr.

It works out for Google because no one really hangs out on Google, it's very transactional. No one cares because no one notice. Some of us spend hours a day on Flickr.

Then again, if you drop the "from Yahoo!" thing from the current toolbar, that's a plus.

view photos

ColleenM says:

jakerome:

Then again, if you drop the "from Yahoo!" thing from the current toolbar, that's a plus.

Personally, I'd rather have that Yahoo! logo there, and have it actually take me to the Yahoo! home page, where I can find all the other services.

But remove the toolbar, since I almost never want to navigate to any of those Yahoo! pages from Flickr.

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito PRO says:

DUMP IT IN THE BUCKET

view photos

MurderWithMirrors PRO says:

Xerxes2K:

I pay $25.00 a year for my account, I don't want Yahoo to put what is essentially an ad at the top of my account. Remove it.

view photos

Tim and Renda PRO says:

No, I don't think so. Very intrusive on the layout. If I want to navigate Yahoo then I will go straight to Yahoo by clicking on the Yahoo logo. That's more than enough. Having Yahoo links following you on Flickr pages can be confusing for new and older Flickr users. KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid

view photos

JohnCramerPhotography says:

This yahoo banner should not be on top of the flickr banner, especially in "Pro" accounts like mine. The addition of the Yahoo banner makes the navigation confusing to say the least. There are now two links for "flickr" and two links for "groups" which go to different places, and some other useless links which have no place in the flickr navigation. This is terrible. Get rid of it.

view photos

Pacdog PRO says:

I think I can say this new change is not coming from (nor endorsed by) the Flickr devs. Yahoo!!!

view photos

Viejito says:

There’s a hole in your bucket, dear Yahoo, dear Yahoo...

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

vidterry:

Thanks for that lesson, but I can bet those of us who are currently protesting and saying it will "kill Flickr for me" have actually been here a bit longer than you, and seen quite a few changes over the years where people have threatened to quit. We don't need a lecture, we don't need to be "put into our place" or anything like that.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

And my Yahoo bar is gone...?

view photos

Viejito says:

FlyButtafly:

Must be a temporary glitch...;-)

view photos

trite ray says:

Lets face it if it is good or bad we will have to put up with it, personally I dont want it and will never use it. Come on flickr please for once remove something we dont want. Thanks, T

view photos

Ed Gaillard says:

jakerome It works out for Google because no one really hangs out on Google, it's very transactional.

It's also not a photo-sharing site. On a photo-sharing site, anything that makes the photos display smaller is a bad idea. Basic human interface, known to everyone except the Yahoos.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

Viejito:

Oh I hope not!!!

I feel like I can breathe again! ;)

And not have to worry about going to some stupid Yahoo weather page when I'm trying to navigate on my touch screen.

view photos

tasteful cherries says:

FlyButtafly said:

if they served good drinks,
that is unfortunate.
if they served the poison which you spoke,
then... you are off the bucket?

view photos

tasteful cherries says:

Ed Gaillard said:

On a photo-sharing site, anything that makes the photos display smaller is a bad idea.
— you mean,
like the display of your photostream since forever?
the current Edsel of photo displays?
I agree... not sure the bar makes them any smaller.

view photos

Brock says:

All of your threats to quit Flickr are silly, and absurd.

Yeah, we should just bend over and take it, right? Shove it RIGHT UP THERE and smile? Oh, wait. That's just as absurd as telling people that expressing their displeasure at a change is dumb.

The people so far (including me) saying that this would be a deal breaker are not the usual hysterical types. None of them, if you read, are 'threatening to quit'. They are saying that it would make the site no longer a place they would want to be.

Most of them have sat through (and driven the Help Forum response through all kinds of drama among other things) for 9 years or more and been very vocal about changes good and bad. I've not seen any of them show such dismay before and we have all sat through more cries of "I'm QUITTING!!!!!1111`11" than certainly I can count.

But even us loyal old guard are starting to be disillusioned with the way flickr has gone. The automatic payment extension was something that almost tipped the barrel for me with respect to the site and its philosophies. People that have a much better insight than me into Yahoo and Flickr (Ex employees: one Community Manager and one major Help staff member/Community guy that I know of personally) have shut up shop and left/expressed severe unhappiness with the direction of the site and Yahoo itself. The rot is starting. I don't like where it is going and I will damn well say so and when I have had enough I will go.

I don't mind telling people that. I think it is valuable customer feedback. For every person displaying genuine dismay, there will be 5 people (soon to arrive no doubt) that will wave meaningless hysterical claims of quitting with no intent to follow up and there will always be someone pointing out to us as if we're stupid that we 'don't matter to The Man'.

Trust me, we know. But I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt and (in a perfect world) the ammunition for anyone left at Flickr with any clout and any concept of what it used to be to use against the people trying to force these dumb decisions.

view photos

squacco says:

well i for one can't WAIT till i can switch between Flickr and Yahoo! Finance in one easy click (?)

view photos

jenniferbeinhacker.com PRO says:

and here i thought it was just me....

if i just click on flickr/yahoo it takes me back to my home page.

i hope once this "test" is done this doesn't appear all the time.
if i want o find the things that are on the new nav bar i know how and don't like this loooooong list appearing.

but.i also know every time flickr runs a test..the change will be here to stay...whether folks write they like it or not.

i'm sure once there is a change i'll get use to it like i did all the other changes and i will continue to enjoy flickr....

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

So I'm curious... Why is mine gone?

I never did test it on the desktop, given my home internet has been seriously skitzoid lately - but I find it interesting that it disappeared from my phone's display...

Is there any chance this is being rolled back... or am I just being put on ice? ;)

view photos

ausfi says:

I have used Yahoo mail for some things as I must have it anyway to get an account, but I can perfectly easily get there using the address bar.
Please do not uglify my pages having to see this. I have never yet complained of changes but this is not necessary by any stretch of imagination. What does it have to do with photos?
Anyway, as an inhabitant of the Nordic countries for whom it is unfamiliar I need to be explained: is AT&T the same as Yahoo, I would not have known the bar had anything to do with Yahoo.
I have never said this about anything here yet, but "I hate it, I hate it!"
ausfi edited this topic 67 months ago.

view photos

Jim, the Photographer says:

Mine is still here. What genius came up with this stupid idea? Why must we have a Yahoo bar when all we want is to use our paid for flickr accounts in peace. Employees who come up with useless ideas like this that alienate customers should be fired immediately!

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

ausfi:

The black bar at the very top of the screenshot is the mobile phone's own information. The topic of discussion here is what's just underneath that, the bar that says [home] Mail Flickr News Sports Finance Weather ...

view photos

ausfi says:

mag3737:

ausfi:

Thanks, I had started to think it was a cell phone thing.

view photos

ausfi says:

vidterry:

Very eloquent!
Yes, unfortunately I would not be able to leave, as I cannot find anything that suits me better than Flickr. I'm quite active even if I do not answer on Help Forum that often as there are people here who know more than I.
ausfi edited this topic 67 months ago.

view photos

ausfi says:

vidterry:

And -- noteworthy -- virtually none of the help forum 'regulars' have piped in here, at least not yet. Those ladies and gentlemen who respond to EVERY thread, aren't showing here, so far

So?

view photos

Viejito says:

vidterry:

Those ladies and gentlemen who respond to EVERY thread, aren't showing here, so far.
Maybe they are talking about it elsewhere?

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

Viejito:

Well, that doesn't count, because he couldn't see that by looking at our photostreams.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

vidterry:

All I have to say to you is... well, nothing really.

view photos

ColleenM says:

error
ColleenM edited this topic 67 months ago.

view photos

ColleenM says:

vidterry:

And -- noteworthy -- virtually none of the help forum 'regulars' have piped in here, at least not yet.

Let's see:

The OP of the thread is one of the longest-participating help forum regulars.

And I see at least 12 more.

That's out of 30 total responders. Pretty high percentage for a "microscopic" thread.

And really, I DO more on Flickr than you do, . I see several people that FLICKR staff have made Admins of major groups when staff couldn't manage them any more.

You haven't got a clue how much those people do on Flickr.

view photos

The Ewan PRO says:

Vidterry is wrong in at least a few ways - if Yahoo are conducting this sort of bucket testing it's because the idea isn't set on stone - you just don't do that for something you're absolutely decided on. Secondly, and while I'm not quite sure why this matters, there certainly are Help Forum regulars in this thread, objecting to the change.

Personally, I can't see this being the one thing that pushes me over the edge, but there is a lot of crappy behaviour coming from Flickr at the moment, and it's getting ever harder to feel any enthusiasm for the place any more. Flickr is still a big site, but once upon a time so was Yahoo, so was Altavista. It's very easy for sites to reach a critical tipping point where everyone gets sufficiently pissed off enough to leave at more or less the same time.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

ausfi:

I'm sorry for the confusion - I posted a screenshot of my whole iphone's screen. mag3737 is right. The Yahoo bar is the grey thing with blue text under the black bar. :)

view photos

tasteful cherries says:

The Ewan said:

you just don't do that for something you're absolutely decided on

hopefully, this is the case,
but I can note two things to the contrary:

« a small percentage of you will see the new Yahoo! navigation bar. » — [ staff ]

perhaps they were words of haste in a reply,
but there is no cautionary adjective,
like the "alleged" in news reports,
or "potential"...

then, there is also the meme of other sites,
most notably Google. it is true that it works for Google,
because "nobody hangs out there."
yet, does Yahoo really care?

the request was for improvement, as well,
not for "hey, how does this work for you guys."

maybe it is a bucket test because it is coming,
and all the properties get it.

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

For the record, I haven't seen this new yahoo toolbar on my account but I will be very annoyed if it shows up.

view photos

Pacdog PRO says:

Brenda Anderson:

me neither, but I was having the style issues for about a week or so...

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

:(

It's there on my desktop version of Flickr.

Did I say :( yet? Cuz :(

It is so distracting!!!

It's ugly!

It's BLUE and darker grey-blue than any of the rest of the page.

It's extraneous.

It's potentially confusing (like someone above mentioned that there are identically-named links on the Yahoo! bar and Flickr bar that go to different places) to newer members.

I don't know what else to say, but I'm sure I could come up with some more.

The Yahooification is really seriously turning me off. If I have to browse from my phone just so I can enjoy Flickr without this bar... I'm going to be more than put out.

view photos

fanatical approval PRO says:

Wow, that kinda sucks. I don't mind that Flickr gets further integrated into Yahoo's properties, but two navigation bars that can't be hidden is a huge waste of vertical space. Instead, why not create a Yahoo menu instead of adding a second bar? Ideally, mousing over "from Yahoo" will open a menu to take you to any of Yahoo's other properties. But if that's not obvious enough, I would still rather have a Yahoo menu added to the Flickr nav bar than the current test layout.

view photos

ausfi says:

FlyButtafly:

Thanks for the clarification, and I agree with everything you said.
It's not on my Flickr pages.

view photos

(mjh) says:

I'm seeing it, too. It's an ugly, distracting nav bar with a different color scheme and takes up valuable vertical space. Plus it really serves no function if you don't use Yahoo.

Also pretty goofy that it has a Flickr link...

How can I make it go away?

view photos

Pacdog PRO says:

Style issues still happening.

view photos

a:n:n:a PRO says:

FlyButtafly:

I would be very grateful if you (or anyone else who can see it) could put a screenshot of what this looks like on a full computer screen? It looks awful... and the more images of how it will effect everyone the better. I can't imagine anyone liking it. :(

view photos

Brock says:

Clearly Yahoo want to drive traffic from Flickr (a good part of the web) to the pointless wasteland that is the rest of the Yahoo network (seriously, I never, ever go to yahoo pages unless I am somehow logged out).

Data point - I don't go to Yahoo sites because there are better options out there. Immeasurably better options. That is the issue, not difficulty of finding it. Just sayin'

ANYHOO. I get that Yahoo would like to further integrate flickr and/or drive traffic to their own part of the web. Understood, seems logical from their perspective. But this is the wrong way to do it. Something that may well do the same thing is the dropdown that people mention above: If the "flickr from yahoo" button was able to produce a drop down on hover-over (if that's not a clumsy way to say it) that produced the same thing, then that'd be fine.

Maybe just the Yahoo?

Maybe the drop down was a horizontal bar that appeared over the page under the main nav bar? Click the logo = Flickr home, hover over = Yahoo bar appears below the normal nav bar. It could work the same as the current style (vertical) or be the corporate look yahoo bar the whole width.

But a permanent bar? Ugly, stupid and terrible UI (as noted with the duplication of link names).

view photos

painting in light PRO says:

Staff [Xerxes2K] said ~

"It's a work in progress, so please keep the feedback coming to let us know what you like and how we can improve it."

That sounds like we are getting it like it or not - why not just ask if we want it or not. OK, so it's their site but it's our money.

view photos

tasteful cherries says:

mouse over drop-down + horizontal whatevers can be a clicking nightmare, if I recall about a discussion with someone mentioning this and certain physical disabilities. but that the "home" Flickr on the upper left toggles between menu is also feasible. the toggle need not be a hard toggle, but a short duration one, if no clicking occurs.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Xerxes2K:

It's a work in progress, so please keep the feedback coming to let us know what you like and how we can improve it.

I am not seeing this toolbar dingus (yet), but past experience has shown that any feedback provided by users, especially negative, will be ignored. At the same time, we will be placated by the assurance that such feedback will be taken into consideration.

vidterry:

And -- noteworthy -- virtually none of the help forum 'regulars' have piped in here, at least not yet. Those ladies and gentlemen who respond to EVERY thread, aren't showing here, so far

Hm. I've seen quite a few.
kmacgray edited this topic 67 months ago.

view photos

pongo 2007 PRO says:

I haven't see this yet! And hopefully I will never see it.

I already have far too much white space horizontally, that bar would produce even more.

Please don't add it. Or if you must, give us an opt out button to hide it.

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

Brock:

Ugly, stupid and terrible UI

The same has been said about the Flickr nav bar, but there it has sat.

view photos

ColleenM says:

A bucket test is not about how people feel. It's about how they act.

If adding the Yahoo! tool bar doesn't change the number of clicks you make while using Flickr, then it's a success.

The only thing that would stop the adoption of the Yahoo! toolbar is if Flickr engineers could demonstrate that the test group
a) visited Flickr less frequently
b) uploaded fewer images to Flickr
c) posted and commented on fewer images.

As long as none of the engagement metrics are harmed, the toolbar will stay.

view photos

Mαciomhαir says:

I can hear the wheels at work already at userscripts.org; shouldn't be too hard to hide this.

view photos

Pacdog PRO says:

In web development and marketing, as well as in more traditional forms of advertising, A/B testing or split testing is an experimental approach to web design (especially user experience design), which aims to identify changes to web pages that increase or maximize an outcome of interest (e.g., click-through rate for a banner advertisement). As the name implies, two versions (A and B) are compared, which are identical except for one variation that might impact a user's behavior. Version A might be the currently used version, while Version B is modified in some respect. For instance, on an e-commerce website the purchase funnel is typically a good candidate for A/B testing, as even marginal improvements in drop-off rates can represent a significant gain in sales. Significant improvements can be seen through testing elements like copy text, layouts, images and colors.[1] Multivariate testing or bucket testing is similar to A/B testing, but tests more than two different versions at the same time.

And to think I thought it was where you throw a bucket of water (or pee or acid, ect) on somebody and see what they do.. =o)~

view photos

Brock says:

The same has been said about the Flickr nav bar, but there it has sat.

Including by me in the Beta test group for it.... They changed a lot of the things that people complained about though.

Except the STUPID flickrmail location and alert 'secret notification button you may not see for weeks' thing.

view photos

Brassica says:

Xerxes2K:

you can improve it by removing it please - it's useless to me and takes up space

view photos

Michael Smith PRO says:

It's very nasty-looking. Please don't spoil Flickr by introducing it.

view photos

vigorous cub says:

Brock:
Same for me.
There are now almost every day new boring problems ....byebye Flickr pro .. no more money for this...
I'm fed up of:
...white Flickr-pages
..silly link lists instead of images
... hell of waisted time because of slow pages....
..totally blocked Flickr site
...this endless messages "comment not saved"

Flickr, once a wonderful photosharing site runs down to poor annoying gimmik trash...
.. no, it's neither my browser(s) nor my computer(s) nor my high-speed connection(s). It's Flickr.

view photos

Viejito says:

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuntbear/] Light❖:

...white Flickr-pages ..silly link lists instead of images... hell of waisted time because of slow pages......totally blocked Flickr site...this endless messages "comment not saved"
Four of those five I, too, have recently experienced.

view photos

flickr, why is this Yahoo bar above the flickr bar?

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

was the person responsible for the yahoo nav bar idea wearing the bucket ?

if i wanted the yahoo links i would have them on my browsers home page where they belong not interfering with flickr

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

I've already got a Yahoo New Zealand toolbar (I guess because I've got one of the "free pro from your ISP" accounts). Will Yahoo put another one above it? That'll be a yahoo sandwich! :)

toolbar

view photos

♥ shhexy corin ♥ PRO says:

I don't mind at all

A few more links never killed anyone and it might point me in the direction of something new

view photos

mrclean says:

Please remove the Yahoo bar from my Flickr account. I do not want to see it or need it.

view photos

delirious zephyr says:

I do not want this.

view photos

Maneesh Foto PRO says:

Read my lips - no new yahoo bars !!

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

I guess we will get this unwanted bar whether we like it or not. It's not a bar that I would want, because I don't use Yahoo, and it would look very ugly ... I can only count on one hand the number of times I've ever used Yahoo.. Though I can see you are trying to get me and others to use Yahoo more often so you can try and compete with Google ...

Personally If I wanted to go straight from flickr too Yahoo, the present Yahoo logo at the top of the page turned into a link there would be much better and far less messy ...

I think dealing with the many other bigger issues flickr Yahoo has would be better time spent ..I might then one day pay to use flickr. And I might even start recommending it to others again ...
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 67 months ago.

view photos

Denish C PRO says:

I agree, for me this new Yahoo toolbar is unwanted and only serves to reduce the size of my screen for viewing photographs. It also has a "Groups" and a "Flickr" which is confusing because they both on the normal Flickr toolbar. PLEASE make it optional, Yahoo.

view photos

Old Fogey 1942 PRO says:

I only use Yahoo to get to Flickr and I do not need or want any other Yahoo services. So this toolbar is not wanted and is a distraction. Cheeky, almost offensive. Stop this development NOW! There are more important Flickr issues to get on with.

view photos

joeysplanting says:

Xerxes2K:

Please, please, please, please remove the Yahoo nav bar!!! Especially, since we are paying for a Flickr Pro account.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

I don't think it's going to be up to Flickr staff whether this nav bar gets installed or not. It sounds like the decision is being made higher up.

view photos

Gertrud K. PRO says:

I do not use or want to use anything from yahoo but Flickr. I do not want any bars in my browser, not on the laptop and not on the smartphone!

I'm pretty sure there will be a greasemonkey script to turn this off in Firefox on the Laptop and on the smartphone I use a different app because I don't like the one from Flickr.
Gertrud K. edited this topic 67 months ago.

view photos

Pacdog PRO says:

kmacgray:

That was my point exactly..

view photos

Old Fogey 1942 PRO says:

kmacgray:

You are probably right. It is bound to be a Yahoo diktat to entice more customers to join other services and we are a captive audience!
However I hope they have the decency to build in a switch to turn it off.
And where else can we moan, scream, swear...............

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

adblockplus element remover should get rid of the yahoo irritation
not had the bar appear yet , might well be blocked already

view photos

Яick Harris PRO says:

adblockplus runs in iPhones?

view photos

Cornelius Snake says:

I haven't seen this toolbar, and hopefully never will. Clearly, many people do not want it, and a few wouldn't mind having it. However, my thoughts, for whatever they are worth for Flickr staff:

1. Make the toolbar optional - eg in your settings, so you can turn it on or off.

2. (Inspired by a comment from ColleenM) Consider instead making the "from Yahoo!" logo on the existing toolbar into another drop-down menu, alongside "You", "Contacts" etc. This drop-down menu can give access to Yahoo sites and features.

And my suggestion to my fellow Flickr-ites: do as I do and pay your subscription on a quarterly basis. Admittedly it's slightly more expensive in the long run, but it gives you the option to react quickly to developments such as this by voting with your wallets.

view photos

Xerxes2K:

Please remove this Yahoo! nav bar from my flickr account. It's annoying, distracting, useless, confusing and unwanted.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

I'm getting increasingly annoyed.

Yahoo is getting increasingly intrusive.

They facelessly post in our groups asking for content (in bold and ALL CAPS no less) and spam the bigger ones every week with their ridiculous AWESOME INCREDIBLE UNBELIEVABLE hyperbolic crap - then they slap an unnecessary, differently-colored, Yahoo toolbar across the top of our Flickr pages.

Yes we get it - you own Flickr. Do you have to be so heavy-handed and in our faces about it??

The only thing still keeping me here is the few friendships I have left. But I can connect with several of them on facebook; and the others... well I may just resort to old-fashioned (hah) email to keep in touch. Whomever is making these decisions is completely out of touch with what made Flickr what it is, and whether my presence here makes a difference to Yahoo or not... it breaks my heart to see what they're doing to Flickr. No concept of the rich history or community that *was* Flickr.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5
(1 to 100 of 425 replies in [Closed] Weird Yahoo nav bar on Flickr site)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads