Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 9 hours ago
[Official Thread] Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 22 hours ago
[Official Thread] Flickr Site Issue - 120 groups + PHOTOS RESTORED UP TO 2018-05-10
Latest: 23 hours ago
New Flickr Help is setting up
Latest: 27 hours ago
[Official Thread] Spam Issues - June 5th 2018
Latest: 33 hours ago
[Investigating] Constant invalid file or timed out messages
Latest: 2 days ago
[Q&A] Will Flickr continue to have free accounts?
Latest: 4 days ago
[staff response] This photo is no longer avaialable
Latest: 8 days ago
[Q&A] Will I still be able to upload/view Moderate and Restricted content on Flickr?
Latest: 2 weeks ago
[Official Thread] Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug - Discussion Post
Latest: 2 weeks ago

Current Discussion

Auto uploader quit working
Latest: 7 minutes ago
Sending my Flickr album to my children
Latest: 9 minutes ago
Change EXIF to reflect the camera I used and not the lab that developed my film...
Latest: 11 minutes ago
request to stop using random [adjective] [noun] combinations as names for deleted accounts'
Latest: 13 minutes ago
Latest: 56 minutes ago
Recent Activity
Latest: 88 minutes ago
Lots of things not working – is this just me? Some views blank. No metadata. Can't download pics.
Latest: 2 hours ago
'Follow' notification preview images and genitalia
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Fixed] Stats are broken again
Latest: 7 hours ago
Anyone else notice the rainbow progress bar?
Latest: 8 hours ago
Where's my albums????
Latest: 13 hours ago
[bug] Flickr 4.5.0 Auto Upload has stopped working
Latest: 13 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Bug] Privacy Settings Bug -- Private Images Becoming Public - Public Images Set To Private, Breaking Website Links

ColleenM says:

There have been a number of posts in the past couple days where people's blogs and websites are now showing broken links due to their public images being set to "private -- you only".

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632695563862/
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632717596526/
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632713240061/
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632712946022/
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632715078498/

Others are reporting that private images have been set to public
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632691601802/
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632695563862/
Posted at 2:43AM, 8 February 2013 PDT ( permalink )
ColleenM edited this topic 65 months ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 115 replies in [Bug] Privacy Settings Bug -- Private Images Becoming Public - Public Images Set To Private, Breaking Website Links)
view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

ColleenM

And, for many of us, we'd never know if our images changed from public to private or vice versa, unless we regularly checked our statistics pages (the part at the bottom which says how many images are public/private), or skimmed through our photostreams, checking the green/red/yellow icons.
Posted 65 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

And, for many of us, it would take weeks of work to do that ... :(

view photos

kari maxwell PRO says:

This has happened to me too. Anyway to change them all back to public? I got to page 19 and had to stop (changing privacy settings one by one).

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

kari maxwell:

Start at You > Organize. You can select private images in the bottom ribbon, drag them to the workspace, and then make them public again.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Another report
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632714686447/

view photos

HarmonyArtMom PRO says:

Seriously? We have to go and change all the links to every "unavailable" photo on our websites? I have hundreds of them....is there an official Flickr message on this bug? I would love to read how they can explain this bug and the fix for those of us who pay them for their services.

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

An unfortunate side effect of these photos being privatized is that they lose whatever faves they had. Here's another thread where that got mentioned (although it's unclear at this writing whether this particular user had his photos privatized by this bug):

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632712007731/

view photos

IrenicRhonda says:

I too have had 20 photos changed from public to private. I only looked because of this continuing problem being posted by others.

I'm lucky in that they are not posted elsewhere and I don't get a lot of favs to lose. But it is still aggravating as I do cherish the few favs I get

And very very worrying that images can change their privacy settings spontaneously. The consequences of the change the other way, private to public, really don't bear thinking about.

view photos

Marchewkowa.pl says:

Same problem here! :(
I've set my images public and replaced the HTML codes to no avail.
I can only see the message that reads "This image or video is currently unavailable".

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

J. na Leśno-Marchewkowej:

Making a photo private changes the image jpg URL, so the HTML code needs updating :(

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Another report:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632722312293/

view photos

discount thief says:

Lú_:

thanks for the heads-up on that...at least i can now email my web designer to let her know. this is such an inconvenience.

view photos

Marchewkowa.pl says:

Lú_:

Updating the HTML code did not help.
Take a look at www.marchewkowa.pl/2012/11/otwieraj-ostroznie-ktos-moze-b... (the photos are still missing).

view photos

discount thief says:

that's exactly what my images look like. hoping this gets resolved...SOON.

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Go back to each original image on Flickr. Use the Share menu to grab the new HTML code. Use *that* HTML code on the website.

view photos

Veterok. has moved to Ipernity says:

What a mess. I have always with great precision sorted all my upload to private, friends only or public and now it's all screwed up. First I was annoyed about around 10 of my friends only pictures (many with my contact details) turn public, but now I'm much more pissed off about Flickr's decision to randomly turn my public pictures private so that I must comb though EVERY picture to see whether they are private, public or friends only and what to do about them.

I'm losing all the faves and everything that I have ever linked anywhere. Also, this then means that I have lost some of the things that I have favourited myself? Sheesh. Quite upsetting. I'm not paying for this kinds of stuff.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Veterok.:

must comb though EVERY picture t

That, at least can be done within Organize.

You can have the Findr ribbon at the bottom display only the images that have a particular privacy setting.

view photos

purplesloth7 says:

I had to read the email a couple of times to make sense of it.....I particularly liked the passage about only relating to photos downloaded between April and December 2012. Potentially that could be a lot. As if Flickr cares. Do they read these forum posts at all....I doubt it. COuld not even reply to the email as it is non-reply. Seriously considering closing my account....as if they care.

view photos

Jim Frazier PRO says:

They also appear to have nuked the descriptions for the ones I need to fix. At least they left the tags in place. But I put a lot of effort into these descriptions.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

Some are reporting (on Facebook and elsewhere) that they've received an message from Flickr, as follows:

"Dear [name],

I’m writing to let you know about a recent issue with Flickr’s privacy settings that impacted some of the photos in your account.

While performing routine site maintenance, we identified a software bug that may have changed the view setting on some of your photos from non-public (i.e., private or viewable only by family and friends) to public. Affected photos were visible on Flickr between January 18th and February 7th, 2013. The affected photos were barred from appearing in any search results and they were limited to photos you've uploaded between April and December of 2012. Overall, this issue impacted only a small percentage of photos.

Protecting your privacy is one of our highest priorities so, when we discovered the bug, we took the added precaution of setting any potentially impacted photos in your account to "private.” When a photo is set to “private,” links and embeds on other websites will no longer work. This means you may have photos you intended to share with others that you may need to adjust the settings on.

We’re deeply sorry this happened. As an avid Flickr user, I’m personally committed to ensuring your memories are safe. Our team has worked hard to earn your trust, and we take it very seriously. We’ve put in place a number of additional measures to prevent this from happening again.

If you have any questions or need help with your photo privacy settings, we’re here for you. Feel free to reach out to our customer care team at www.flickr.com/help/with/priority.

Thank you for being part of the Flickr community.

Brett Wayn
Vice President, Flickr"

view photos

bawbwa PRO says:

An important message about your Flickr account

Dear barbara,

I’m writing to let you know about a recent issue with Flickr’s privacy settings that impacted some of the photos in your account.

While performing routine site maintenance, we identified a software bug that may have changed the view setting on some of your photos from non-public (i.e., private or viewable only by family and friends) to public. Affected photos were visible on Flickr between January 18th and February 7th, 2013. The affected photos were barred from appearing in any search results and they were limited to photos you've uploaded between April and December of 2012. Overall, this issue impacted only a small percentage of photos.

Protecting your privacy is one of our highest priorities so, when we discovered the bug, we took the added precaution of setting any potentially impacted photos in your account to "private.” When a photo is set to “private,” links and embeds on other websites will no longer work. This means you may have photos you intended to share with others that you may need to adjust the settings on.

We’re deeply sorry this happened. As an avid Flickr user, I’m personally committed to ensuring your memories are safe. Our team has worked hard to earn your trust, and we take it very seriously. We’ve put in place a number of additional measures to prevent this from happening again.

If you have any questions or need help with your photo privacy settings, we’re here for you. Feel free to reach out to our customer care team at www.flickr.com/help/with/priority.

Brett Wayn
Vice President, Flickr

view photos

bawbwa PRO says:

I did write to them via the email help feature...
If they don't do anything about it and offer huge compensation for what they call a "pro" account I consider leaving too...

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

They should have put up a banner announcement over our flickrstreams to alert people to this possibility.

Its not like a bug like this is going to be kept secret just because they aren't being more open about it.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

bawbwa:

you might consider something more serious than leaving.

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

bawbwa:

Well, what exactly do you mean by "huge?" It's not like you pay a "huge" amount to start with. Granted, this means a major headache for many people and a breach of trust, but I'm just curious what you think would be appropriate.

I will say this kind of thing *is* very alarming...

And I'm greatly disappointed at the lack of public acknowledgement by Flickr staff.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

Its not even listed under "hot topic".

The staff don't seem to have much interest in the site when they are not at the office. Wish they would hire somebody to run this ship (with millions of users) on the weekends

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

What would be "more serious"? There are numerous caveats in the TOS explaining that the service comes "as is" and Flickr Yahoo isn't responsible for any mess-ups that might occur. If "more serious" meant legal action, you'd just be throwing money away on a very appreciative but ultimately useless lawyer.

This definitely should be a higher priority help thread, however. Thanks to Flickr's constant promotion to allow us to share our content all over the internet, a bug like this can affect a wide variety of external links. Maybe it's time they found another way to flip private/public links without destroying the original URL, so these errors can be reversed in the future.

view photos

ColleenM says:

FlyButtafly:

lack of public acknowledgement by Flickr staff

I've never seen any other bug acknowledged by a personal email to everyone affected from a vice-president, or even any lesser level of staff.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

Lú_:

Lú_:

Start at You > Organize. You can select private images in the bottom ribbon, drag them to the workspace, and then make them public again.

That will work fine with people who have pro accounts (or accepted the gift pro offered in December) but how do those with free accounts who are not allowed access to their entire photostream going to find out if old uploads have been made public or private? Those photos may be in groups, private groups, etc. Do they need to check every group they belong to to see if the photos are suddenly available to everyone via tag search? Do they need to remember all the tags they *might* have used on those photos back in, say, 2006?

view photos

knowing pigs says:

Now is My zaccount in dnger.What do you want done on the pictures I 've in my photostream.?Richard..aka Virgil Earp.

view photos

ColleenM says:

teh resa:

Do they need to remember all the tags they *might* have used on those photos back in, say, 2006

No. All they need to do is deal with photos back to April 2012.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

Then they need to hope that they didn't upload much since then.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Virgil Earp3:

is My zaccount in dnger.

If you got an email from Flickr's vice president, then you were affected. If not, then nothing happened to your account.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

And I'm pretty sure that in a site with millions of users there are plenty of people (and no, I don't care if it is a "small percentage" when we are talking about milliions) who upload a lot of private pictures. People are a lot more choosy about what they upload as public (for obvious reasons).

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

ColleenM:

If you got an email from Flickr's vice president, then you were affected. If not, then nothing happened to your account.

How did you become the authority on this? You sound pretty sure of yourself.

The person who posted the email response said that they had contacted flickr via help by email.

view photos

i chase the light says:

I got an email and I'm confused because as far as I can see, none of my photos have been affected. Google brought me here. Is it possible they sent the email to everyone just in case?

view photos

ColleenM says:

teh resa:

People have been posting that letter on Facebook, too.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

My questions for staff:

when was the bug discovered? what are you going to do to prevent this in future? How can we be sure that it is fixed? How soon will the community be notified when these things happen in future?

view photos

ColleenM says:

i chase the light:

Is it possible they sent the email to everyone

quite a few people have not received any such email.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

I well remember the first time I came to the help forum www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/29912/#reply148519 when I became aware of a privacy bug that had been reported SIX MONTHS earlier but that staff ignored or blew off (yahoo isn't our department..). I have very often wanted to renew my pro account but when these things happen and more importantly - get largely ignored - it tells me that nothing much has changed since 2006.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

i chase the light:

Is it possible they sent the email to everyone just in case?

Only staff know the answer to that question.

view photos

spiky plants says:

I receieved a letter also and changed the settings on my photos myself. I only left some of my more moderate photos that could be seen by everyone. I had a few naughty photos and they are for friends only. The reason I did that was because I was getting too many contacts. I was starting to get overwhellmed with letters, so Ithought this was the proper thing to do. I dont want to be deleted again and should I leave everything as is ?

view photos

i chase the light says:

teh resa:

Hmm. I literally can't find anything that's changed on my photostream.
It's just the slightest bit annoying that we're all here trying to work out what's going on without any more input from the staff. Hope people get a fix soon.

view photos

ColleenM says:

kathynails1:

I had a few naughty photos and they are for friends only.

Even if you made them private, you are required to have them flagged correctly for the safety filters. If the pictures show boobs or bums, they must be marked 'moderate'. If they show the pubic area, they must be marked 'restricted'.

Making them private isn't enough.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

I recall another bug: www.flickr.com/help/forum/23158/ that screwed with private photos that got dismissed by whoever was in charge then. Apparently they've deleted the help topic discussion, but it was from May of 2006 and was discussed in several other places in flickr. Uploads between users were being mixed up, the site was acting very strange, uploads from other people (both private and public) were turning up in photostreams. It was total chaos and confusion and yet they never saw fit to shut the site down to fix the problem. They just let it continue until they fixed it. Didn't want the publicity, maybe.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

i chase the light:

Hope people get a fix soon.

and a proper explanation (from someone who knows what he/she is talking about and has the authority to say so) about what happened, how it happened and why we should believe it is fixed. Maybe it is not fixed. Maybe they don't know exactly what happened.

view photos

spiky plants says:

ColleenM:

Colleen, all my photos are marked restricted, but the naughty ones are for friends only. I only have a couple short videos that are moderate and a child could watch those.
Just to be on the safe side, once again, all my other photos are set as restricted. I think I will leave everything alone until the Flickr people answer me if this is the correct way.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

Maybe they really shouldn't bother with going out of their way to gain trust with statements like: Protecting your privacy is one of our highest priorities Maybe that gives people a false sense of security. Maybe they should emphasize that anything you upload to the internet has the potential to be public so you should treat every upload as if it is public? Or maybe they should say something like:

There are numerous caveats in the TOS explaining that the service comes "as is" and Flickr Yahoo isn't responsible for any mess-ups that might occur.

view photos

ColleenM says:

kathynails1:

all my photos are marked restricted, but the naughty ones are for friends only.

That works.

Flickr doesn't care whether your naughty photos are public or private, as long as you have them correctly flagged.

The privacy settings are for your own comfort as to who can see them. (yes, I recognize the irony of that statement in this thread).

view photos

i chase the light says:

teh resa:

Exactly. I got an apology for something that I didn't even know had happened and I'm still not really sure what, exactly, happened...

As I said, hope this gets fixed soon for those who need it, and that we get more info on this, asap.

view photos

spiky plants says:

ColleenM:

i chase the light:

I just looked at my photos again and now quite a few of them have been changed again to show only I can see them instead of my friends only. I have no idea what is going on here. Is someone getting into my account and doing this or is Flickr changing them ?

view photos

Flickr Staff

brettwayn says:

We are aware of the issue. Only a small number of Flickr users were impacted, and we are in the process of directly contacting those individuals. This is not a widespread nor an ongoing issue -- the software bug has been identified and fixed.

view photos

spiky plants says:

brettwayn:

Brett, if the issue is identified, will Fickr change my settings back to the way they were or is that my responsibility ?

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

If you were under the impression that anything you put on the internet is safe and protected from ever being seen, then you have simply misunderstood the nature of the internet.

These things happen all the time, data breaches, settings flipped, privacy policies changed, etc etc and on and on. You either accept the risks associate with putting content on a global network and deal with the consequences when things go wrong, or you don't put content on the internet.

view photos

spiky plants says:

kathynails1:

It looks like I will have to go through all my photos and change them back so all my friends can see them instead of only me.

view photos

MommyNamedApril PRO says:

Happened to me too - it has utterly decimated my food blogging site which is a huge source of revenue for me. Not only do I have to go back and change all the permissions, BUT changing the permissions changes the code, which means I have to go through each post and re-apply all my pictures. This is HUNDREDS of pictures. I am utterly disgusted and shaking I am so angry.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

MommyNamedApril:

well, I'm sorry you are angry, according to some people on this forum (not me)

These things happen all the time, data breaches, settings flipped, privacy policies changed, etc etc and on and on. You either accept the risks associate with putting content on a global network and deal with the consequences when things go wrong, or you don't put content on the internet.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

it has utterly decimated my food blogging site which is a huge source of revenue for me"

Flickr is not intended nor allowed to be used for commercial purposes. One of the reasons for that is precisely things like this happening. Flickr isn't a "mission criticial" storage system for commerce sites, and it isn't their responsibility that you ignored their terms of service and got burned in the process.

As correctly quoted a wise person who posted earlier, these things happen all the time. You either invest in a system designed for your needs, or you have to accept the consequences when using a site in a way it was not intended goes wrong.

And that's not to say this doesn't really suck for you. If I had to repair my art blog with hundreds of links I'd have to shave my head to keep from pulling all of my hair out. But that's why I host all that content with my site where it's completely under my control.
The Searcher edited this topic 65 months ago.

view photos

regtor says:

brettwayn:

All my links are now broken, and using the "share" link does not work either. Very frustrating, enough for me to go elsewhere. Yahoo continues to sink into irrelevance.

view photos

spiky plants says:

MommyNamedApril:

I feel bad for you April and it will be very time consuming , but I'm going to go through every single one of my photos and change them back so my friends only can see them. Right now, on most of them only I can see them.
Flickr has not corrected the problem so far, so I will do it myself. I have no other option at this time.

view photos

Cloudmaster J says:

I started a thread on this like five weeks ago and was told repeatedly by other users that I was either crazy or it had to be on my end. I was also told how irrelevant the views counts were and to forget about it. To these people...... :P

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

If you use the Organizr you can change them in big batches. I don't know how many photos you have, but you can usually do a few hundred at a time without choking the tool.

Your thread was about view counts going up when you viewed your own photos. That doesn't seem to have much to do with users' photos getting switched from public to private.

view photos

Cloudmaster J says:

The Searcher:

Oh, privacy issues. I had no issues there even though I got a message.
Why would anyone put something on the Internet and then expect privacy? A greater concern is all these hot air balloons and crafts and such floating all over the where and then landing whichever they please. Is ridiculous.

view photos

spiky plants says:

The Searcher:

I have 137 photos and just finished changing them from only me to friends that can see them. I'm not that familiar with organizer, so I did them individually. Only took about 15 minutes. I just hope tomorrow when I check them the photos remain the same, friends only.

view photos

Paul B Jones PRO says:

I got the email from Flickr but in reviewing my photos there appears to be no damage done - no broken links, no missing descriptions, no changed privacy settings.

Everything in my photostream was public to start with so maybe that innoculated me against any damage.

view photos

thomas lieser (thomas-lieser.smugmug.com) says:

Seems to me that the email in itself contains a slight glitch.
It's good to get information about a problem, but....
I tried to find out whether any of my pictures were affected.
Set to private? None
Missing descriptions? I did see nothing of this kind

Does that mean I really have to check all those pictures in that timeframe? Or was this just a "better safe than sorry" kind of information? Maybe my English is not good enough, but I didn't gather that from the email...

(btw. I've been working in software development for thirty years now. I know that bugs are something that we can not prevent from happening. But, the handling of the situation is important...)

view photos

hn. PRO says:

Thanks for alerting me to the problem that private photos might get public just so. I immediately deleted my private photos - but i wonder if they are really gone or if they turn up again at some point.

I consider deleting my whole account. There is a huge number of glitches and it always feels as if staff couldn't care less about problems that seem to be solvable with a bit of coding.

view photos

Pacdog PRO says:

I was the lucky one.. No issues this time and my email settings have not changed sense the last time.. Happy!

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

If you delete your photos, they're gone.
The Searcher edited this topic 65 months ago.

view photos

K-WIND says:

A relative very recently received this message from Flickr:

view photos

hn.:

remember: flickr does have a lot of users, a huge throughput, a giant database.

no software is bug free. with a lot of user you just will find them more often.

and one more thing: flickr is not mission critical software. otherwise you would have to pay a lot more money for it. (and even mission critical software is never bug free as that is impossible to achieve)
thomas lieser (thomas-lieser.smugmug.com) edited this topic 65 months ago.

view photos

lauraanderson4 says:

Looks like i'm going to have to go through every blog post and re enter the html for my images.... ARGH

view photos

ceila♪♫♪ PRO says:

I agree about what you are saying.
But, I think I'm one of the lucky one, no settings have changed.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

Spok4:

I started a thread on this like five weeks ago and was told repeatedly by other users that I was either crazy or it had to be on my end. I was also told how irrelevant the views counts were and to forget about it. To these people...... :P

do you have a link to that thread?

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

As I mentioned above, his thread was about something entirely different. You can find it by searching his user name in the help forum.

view photos

ther-esa says:

Spok4:

Spok4: do you have a link?

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

teh resa
ther-esa

His thread is here:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157632294177852/

As The Searcher said, it was entirely unrelated to this current privacy bug.

view photos

siljadevine says:

I changed all my privacy settings back to public, but still the images that were url linked on my blog shows the errorimage. Same thing on Ravelry where I have several images linked from Flickr.

I have a pro account, and this will mean alot of extra work for me getting all those pictures back since the privacy change does not seem to have any effect of the pictures showing up!
The only message I got was this confusing email from the flickr team, that did not solve the issue at all! I pay to use Flickr, and right now I feel like I am beeing ripped off since there is a lack of communications on what they are doing to correct what has happened and how to fix it without it beeing a hassle for everyone!

view photos

jane_sanders PRO says:

siljadevine:

I changed all my privacy settings back to public, but still the images that were url linked on my blog shows the errorimage.

Every switch from public to private and then private to public (and so on and so on) will generate a new URL. It's not toggling between two URLs, a public one and a private one.

view photos

siljadevine says:

jane_sanders:

Thank you! I just got a message from flickr team that will be helping me restore the URLs. Hopefully that solves the issue I am having, at least on my blog.

view photos

andyscamera says:

It seems this bug is getting some press: www.theverge.com/2013/2/11/3976152/flickr-accidentally-ma...

view photos

liseykina says:

Hi. I've set all my photos to "public", but some of them still doesn't show in my blog
liseykina.livejournal.com/119728.html

How can I fix it?
I don't want to reembed photos, because it is too much photos with this bug and it is irreal to do this manually.

view photos

kae71463 PRO says:

Is there any update on this at all? Manually correcting the broken links is going to take forever.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

It looks like from the post three up from yours Flickr is possibly helping to restore broken URLs. You would probably have to contact them directly if you were affected by this bug, as not everyone posts content outside of Flickr (thus Flickr probably isn't going to be contacting each person individually about that issue).

view photos

ColleenM says:

kae71463:

Use this link to get assistance from Flickr in getting your account fixed
www.flickr.com/help/with/priority.

view photos

june makes six (Tiffany) PRO says:

Pinning issue/private/public. Could not pin any pictures and that has been fixed, however, all of my private photos still marked private can be pinned....part of the same problem?

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Pretty sure you can always pin your own photos, since you can see them all. Are you seeing cases where people are able to view your private images without permission and pin them?

view photos

june makes six (Tiffany) PRO says:

The Searcher:

Thanks, usually there is a this photo can not be pinned on my private photos. Thanks.

view photos

siljadevine says:

siljadevine:

Still no message that they have restored the URLs... waiting impatiently for more information if that will make the linked website pictures show again or not!

view photos

ColleenM says:

Flickr FAQ: Can I pin all Flickr photos to Pinterest?

The FAQ say you should only be able to pin public, safe photos.

view photos

ColleenM says:

siljadevine:

Did you start a help case using the link above?

view photos

siljadevine says:

ColleenM:

yes, but I was contacted by a flickr employee before that. Hoping things gets fixed tomorrow.

view photos

kae71463 PRO says:

I sent a message to the priority help about my broken links yesterday and I still haven't received a response. When will I hear something?

view photos

ColleenM says:

kae71463:

When will I hear something?

When they are able to do something about the problem.

view photos

Thomas Hawk PRO says:

This is not a big deal. It apparently affected a very small number of accounts. This is one of those things that sounds a lot worse than it probably was. It is a good reminder though that almost anything you upload to the web is potentially at risk for public exposure regardless of any settings. Someone could hack into your account, a friend/family that you *did* give access to could reshare that image or download it -- lots of things could happen.

It is admirable and notable that Flickr VP and GM Brett Wayn personally issued a message under his own signature to the accounts affected. This sort of message could have easily been covered under a more generic "to whom it may concern" sort of response.

While this sort of thing makes salacious headline material, to me it's really not that big of deal. The bigger story is that Flickr is in the midst of an amazing renaissance rebuilding itself as a serious photo contender on the web. The recent iPhone app, the new justified mosaic layout, the staffing up and hiring of designers and engineers -- the future feels bright for Flickr for the first time in many years. Marissa Mayer may be the first Yahoo CEO ever to publicly have a Flickr account.

These are the things that I think are more important and what people should be focused on.

view photos

Thomas Hawk:

I second that!

view photos

siljadevine says:

The flickr team has now restored all URLs and everything is back to the way it was before.
I am just glad that I didnt have to go through post on my blog with over 1000 pictures in the affected period!

Hopes everyone has a wonderful day, and that things will get fixed on your part too!

view photos

Marlis1 PRO says:

"The flickr team has now restored all URLs and everything is back to the way it was before. "

WHAT????????????????
I got an email from Flickr telling me that over 60 pics were by accident set to private, nice email.
I changed them all back to public and now I find out Flickr did reset it- gosh Thanks- what a way to waste people's time.

view photos

siljadevine says:

Marlis1:

I dont know If they have done this for everyone, but at least they did it for me.

view photos

Marlis1 PRO says:

siljadevine LOL, if they did- I was ahead of the game. Wish they wouldn't always tinker - things happen too often.
Now I am finding many pics that have NO TAGS- and I distinclty remember adding tags to these pics- wonder what happened?

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 115 replies in [Bug] Privacy Settings Bug -- Private Images Becoming Public - Public Images Set To Private, Breaking Website Links)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads