Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Yahoo sells to Verizon
Latest: 11 minutes ago
[Kapersky/Antivirus Issues] I cannot upload photos today...
Latest: 76 minutes ago
[Spam] I WILL END YOU (Staff post!)
Latest: 3 hours ago
Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 4 hours ago
[investigating] Email notifications failing (BT Internet Users especially)
Latest: 13 hours ago
[Official Thread] Mobile Uploads back on for users in Germany
Latest: 13 hours ago

Current Discussion

Searching The Help Forum Yields Severely Limited Returns
Latest: 2 hours ago
Photographers name on photos
[Official Thread] Introducing the Flickr Camera Roll (Beta)
Quote 'This photo is no longer available' .... but it is there!
Latest: 5 hours ago
Stats - many views on an old photo each day
Latest: 6 hours ago
Rules and definitions for stats
Latest: 7 hours ago
Sharing albums - back to basics!
Latest: 7 hours ago
To staff: Bug or design? "Edit your Yahoo preferences" missing from Settings
Latest: 8 hours ago
rotate video
Photos not appearing in new group
Banned messages from unknown groups
Latest: 9 hours ago
How Do You Find One Of Your Own Images In A Group You've Posted It To?
Latest: 10 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[should be resolved] new web uploader stuck with message "Publishing..."

loupiote (Old Skool) pro PRO says:

i initiated the upload 8 large (private) images yesterday night. it should have taken less than an hour.

this morning, after more than 9h, i can see the upload page stuck with the message "Publishing..." and the progress-bar not completely to the right.

the images appear to have been uploaded to my photostream, with the tag(s) that i specified and the correct privacy level. so i don't know why the uploader is stuck / frozen.

i'm on Chrome on Windows XP SP3

i have seen this issue reported before. if flickr statt has tracing capability, they can look at my latest update with the web uploader.

Staff Update, Jan 23, 2013, 8am
We're temporarily disabling the new web uploadr UI while troubleshooting the issue. However, you should be able to hit the old uploadr for the time being, as needed. Uploads via email, the API and other sources should be unaffected at this time.

Staff Update, Jan 23, 2013, 10:37am
We turned new web uploadr back on.
Posted at 1:27PM, 19 December 2012 PDT ( permalink )
Xerxes2K (staff) edited this topic 43 months ago.

view photos

here is the screen capture:

uploader stuck by loupiote (Old Skool) pro

Posted 44 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

loupiote (Old Skool):

I assume that you already tried clear cache, close and re-open the browser and the message still there, am I correct?

view photos

if i close this window (or rather, tab), it tells me that the "changes will not be saved".

when i re-open a and go to the web uploader URL, it starts a brand new (empty) upload cession. this is normal.

and this issue does not seem to have anything to do with cookies, but rather it looks like the uploader web client was waiting (forever) for some communication from the server than never arrived (or got lost).

i have seen this issue previously reported by others. since it cannot be systematically reproduced, the only way to track it would be for flickr to instrument the uploader and trace its progress in a log file...

view photos

jamielbadawi PRO says:

I just ran into this issue earlier this evening. Uploaded 101 images, took the time to add various tags and all the images to a set. When "Ready for Upload" displayed, I clicked Upload, the progress bar showed it was "Publishing" but the bar never reached the end. I let it run for maybe about 2 hours and still no apparent progress.

I bit the bullet and closed the Uploader, refreshed my photostream, and there were the images I was trying to upload! Thankfully, the tags were still there but the photos were never placed into the set. Luckily, all of these pictures were going into the same set so that wasn't so bad.

Please look into this issue as I may not be so lucky next time the Uploader gets stuck!
Posted 43 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

kiwirat PRO says:

For the first time since I have been here, 2005, I had my first problem uploading. I had the same problem, it was stuck on publishing, I ended up using the basic uploader.

view photos

yeah. i really don't trust the new uploader, because if it runs into any issue like that, none of the photos are uploaded, and possible all the time sprnt tagging them is lost.

at least, with the standalone desktop uploader, it there is a failure, all the photos already uploaded are actually uploaded and pushed in my stream, so i don't have that much work to re-do.

i totally dislike the "all or none" philosophy of the new web uploader. i think it's a very bad design idea. it looks cool on paper, but practically speaking it's terrible, because failures always have a chance to happen.

it also makes it really hard to re-order images in the photostream by later editing the upload time, since all the images in the batch will have the same upload time.

view photos

makisa says:

I also encountered this same issue tonight, as reported by @loupiote. The web uploader got stuck around the 90% mark with the message showing 'Publishing'. I cancelled the upload by closing the browser tab in Chrome 23.

56/57 images were in my photostream but not placed into the new set that I had tried to create as part of the upload process.

view photos

Fantasyfan. says:

I also have trouble with uploader, but for me it gets stuck in Verifying. Third try going, even that failing. But ctrl+F5 helped
Fantasyfan. edited this topic 43 months ago.

view photos

etoile_decartier PRO says:

Started having this same problem about 3 days ago. My photos upload to the 90% mark and then it says Verifying and hangs for hours, Have let it sit overnight and it never resolves. If I have added all my descriptions and have to close the browser and re=open I lose all that work. HATED this new Uploader from the moment it was released. At least the old one might bonk out ONE picture, but upload the rest of the batch.

view photos

PhotoJunket says:

I've been getting that problem recently as well.
There's no way to cancel or stop it once you get to this stage, you have to close the tab/refresh the page and start over again. Sometimes the images will have been uploaded to my photostream other times they will not have been.

view photos

IdleHandsBlog PRO says:

same problem...nearly every time. Takes 3 to 4 tries to push them through. HUGE ISSUE. If I can't upload my images from conventions with speed to get through hundreds of folders, this site is useless.

view photos

AsaziAsazi says:

I've been having this problem today. No matter how many times I try, I can't get the bar to go past "Publishing" and of course nothing is ever uploaded.

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

Maybe the issues reported in the following thread (and now possibly fixed) were the cause of this problem.

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632590251034/

How are things now?

view photos

SReed99342 PRO says:

Same problem here -- just hanging on the "publishing" screen. I don't want to close and lose all my tags, captions, etc! Ugh.

I'm using Safari on a Mac.

view photos

JamesPicture PRO says:

ah not happy!!! just took me 45 mins to add 18 pictures with descriptions, groups and tags and then it gets stuck on the Publishing... screen.

You cant even close the popup so you can try again, the only option I had was to refresh the screen, and in the process losing the 45 minutes typing....

Now im going to have to re-add

Please fix this

view photos

Flickr Staff

mutsubu PRO says:

Hello Everyone, we are aware of this problem and are actively working on fixing it now. We apologize for the inconvenience.

view photos

JamesPicture PRO says:

Just tried again after clearing my cache with 5 images and it failed again.

I then tried the old up-loader with 1 image and it worked

view photos

JamesPicture PRO says:

mutsubu:

thanks for the update

view photos

Pankaj Oudhia PRO says:

Same problem here also. Will try after three hours again.

view photos

Ayalem says:

Same problem.

view photos

eyrieowl PRO says:

Flickr: stop making so many terrible decisions. You keep changing things to "improve" them, and end up making my experience worse. The new uploader is by far and away the most egregious though. The fact that uploads don't stream into your photostream is terrible, it means that when it fails, AND IT WILL, you are stuck having to reload a batch. Left my computer uploading 165 photos last night, come in to "Publishing" this morning. Saw another thread (in looking to see if there was any recourse) by someone who felt the "hold on tiger" message was patronizing. I'd be inclined to disagree, to think it's a harmless bit of fun. BUT...it's utterly infuriating to have some breezy message staring back at you when things are BROKEN. I don't want some trite cheer, I want an error message saying, "Hey, sorry, we SCREWED UP, and you have to start over again." If you want to make the new uploader succeed, if you want to batch uploads into our photostream instead of stream them in, then For God's Sake, actually keep track of the batch when we create it, so that if it fails, or if our computer crashes, or whatever ills happen, we can come back, publish the photos that *did* actually upload, and then upload the ones that didn't. The current status quo where batches just disappear if anything bad happens is completely mickey mouse, it's unworthy of a site which wants to have and maintain any significant user base, and, frankly, it shows you to be piss-poor stewards of the good money we pay you. Fix it. Not the current issue, but the upload process. Fix it, and make it actually work for the users instead of for you.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Xerxes2K PRO says:

For those of you affected by the issue, if you would like to help us investigate, could you try the following:

1) Upload a batch of 4 photos. See if it works.
2) Then upload a batch of 5 photos and see if it works.

Tell us if one, none or both of the batches fail.

Thanks!

view photos

The Cwmbran Creature. PRO says:

Have to go to work now, but a batch of 29 photos has stuck on 'Publishing'. These were all marked as 'Only visible to you', which is very unusual for my uploads. 99% are uploaded as 'Visible to everyone' Using Mozilla Firefox on Windows XP.

view photos

ernstkers PRO says:

Xerxes2K:

I first tried five, which failed. Than four, which succeeded.

view photos

Jijun He PRO says:

Xerxes2K:

I tested in the past 10 minutes. 4 photos a batch worked but 5 photos a batch failed.

view photos

ernstkers PRO says:

I'm uploading five on this moment, but it seems to fail again.
Edit: failure. After 12 minutes still busy with publishing.
ernstkers edited this topic 43 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Xerxes2K PRO says:

Thanks, we appreciate your help.

view photos

Kiekert PRO says:

I upload first 4 photo's and oeps there they goes on publishing. Hoera!! Than i tryed 5 photo's - it goes more slow, but after some time there they goes also. Now i hope that the whole problem will be over....

view photos

richelecole says:

Mine had been stuck. I gave up closed the window and figured I'd try again later. Just pulled up my photo stream et voila they're all there! (20 photos)

view photos

miz_booshay PRO says:

Mine too. Just five small pictures. I'm going to try old uploader to see if that is working better.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Schill PRO says:

Update
We're temporarily disabling the new web uploadr UI while troubleshooting the issue. However, you should be able to hit the old uploadr for the time being, as needed. Uploads via email, the API and other sources should be unaffected at this time.

view photos

The Moog Image Dump PRO says:

Problems are mainly with batch uploads . . . when i tried single uploads it worked OK. Now it is saying it cant upload anything.

Flickr is obviously on a server that cant handle the load. If this was a free service i wouldn't mind but for something a lot of us pay for it just isn't good enough!

Previously it was regular logging-in issues . . . now you cant upload properly. Perhaps if they stopped messing about with the way Flickr works they wouldn't have so many problems.

I've never had this much trouble with other hosting sites on the internet. This rubbish is not acceptable is it?

view photos

Kiekert PRO says:

They are working at the publishing problem, hoera. But i upload just 4 photo's after an other 4 and so on and that was good. But 5 was to much. Now still waiting that i can upload the last one's.
Thanks fot all the replies, and help. A nice Flickr-family ;-)

view photos

tiny red warrior PRO says:

Same problem today; tried three times with the advanced uploader, and it always gets stuck while publishing.

view photos

kmw1018 says:

Haven't tried uploading photos, but am not receiving Flickrmail

view photos

Martin Gillet PRO says:

Hi Team,

Same here since early this morning. Tried 4 times via Google Chrome & IE. Fed up with it, why can't we get warning message system is down ?
What is the estimate for issue resolution ?

Please advise,
Thank you for your support,
Martin

view photos

rosy outlook photography PRO says:

I've been using the Old Uploader for the past week because of these issues. No big deal. :)

view photos

pamelaadam PRO says:

I thought it was just my old computer being grumpy. For the last month or so the new uploader been flaky it will do one batch and not the next. More often than not I've gone back to the basic uploader

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hello all,

We just turn the new web uploadr back on. Please let us know if you still have problem with batch upload.

view photos

ernstkers PRO says:

eMiLy @_@:

Seems to work. Uploading five in one batch successful now.

view photos

drum118 PRO says:

I just had my ISP in and they see no issues on my end.

Try the 46 batch as in the past with the same results, yet except one got loaded.

The photos over 6m fail to load

Just try the 5 as suggested in the uploader at a time and loads like it should until I hit the ones over 6m.

The first one said "File fail to upload"

Then the popup window said retry or remove. Hit retry a number of time with the same results.

Had no problems in the past on photos over 6m.

The last short video fail to be found or load about a week ago that was only 20 seconds long. Not an issue to me since I already upload videos elsewhere.

At this point in time, I am dead in the water for uploading as I will be out of order in my posting of photos to the site.

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

drum118:

Can you try upload that 6MB photo via upload by E-mail:

www.flickr.com/account/uploadbyemail/

If it still fail to upload, please let us know.

Thanks!

view photos

drum118 PRO says:

eMiLy @_@:

Anything over 8m is not loading now, with everything under it being uploaded.

The photos are uploaded using the email, but time to load and tagging them in order along with the others.

view photos

eMiLy @_@:

Cannot upload 3 photos in either the newest batch uploader (drag and drop) - gets stuck on VERIFYING and I have even left it over night on prior attempts and it had not resolved in the morning. Next I tried the old batch uploader. It hung with just 3 pictures and I guit waiting after 3 minutes.

I was finally able to use the basic uploader to add those 3 pix to my photostream with only a brief wait.

Now I am trying to upload 1 photo on the drag and drop. It is stuck on VERIFYING. Again.

This all started sometime after January 5th. I uploaded Christmas pictures with no problem and vacation pictures before that. But starting with the pictures I took the night of January 5th, I have had difficulty off and on with getting stuck on VERIFY. Not always - just some of the time.
Posted 42 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Anthony "Tony G" Gliozzo (Web Site is ocbirds.com) PRO says:

Same problem as of 1-29-13. This has been going on for quite sometime. How I resolve the issue is to hit F5, this refreshes the page. I then go back and rename the file by changing one letter then re-upload and it works every time albeit a pain in the arse or just use the Old Uploader.

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

Spam by shellypp reported.

view photos

canuck4everr says:

Cant upload , upload stalls after a few pictures .
Help im slowly getting miffed here !

I dont need waste time restarting uploads , then same problem happens.

Xp with flickr uploader and flickr website uploader .

view photos

Neel I says:

Not being able to upload any pictures since almost a week now.

Getting this one :
Looks like there are connection problems.

or this one :
Bonk! Errors must be fixed before you can continue.
(with 'x' files timed out in the background)

view photos

ernstkers PRO says:

Neel I:

Did you restart your modem / computer?
Did you do a pathping to see where its failing?

How to run a pathping using Windows

Click the Start button
Click Run
Type cmd
Press the Enter key
Type pathping up.flickr.com
Press the Enter key
Wait about 5 minutes for the program to finish running. When it is done you will have results that include a lot of percentages.
Post those here so that we can see where your access is being blocked.
On a Mac go to the /Applications/Utilities folder and start the Terminal application.
Type traceroute -S -q 30 up.flickr.com > ~/Desktop/pathping.txt
Press Return. A file will be created on your Desktop called "pathping.txt" that contains your trace route information.

view photos

I have done all of the above repeatedly. The uploader worked for over a week now with no problem and suddenly tonight it is hanging on VERIFYING again. I am beginning to wonder if it is something as stupid as the length of the file name.... /sigh Really annoys me since I am paying for this lack of service.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

etoile_decartier

"I am beginning to wonder if it is something as stupid as the length of the file name"

That's a good question, but is something you could troubleshoot from your end... When the uploads fail, is it consistently when you've uploaded images with long file names? If so, try one of those files alone. If it still doesn't work, try it with a shorter file name.

For what it's worth, I think it's been a couple of years since I uploaded a file with more than 15 characters in the file name, and I haven't had any* issues uploading.

(* At least none like what's being described in this thread.)

view photos

thepatrick PRO says:

I just hit this.

None of my files had long names (all similar to DSC00588.jpg)

I see from my browser's inspector that it is hitting some URL to check status which just keeps saying outstanding_tokens: 8 (the number of photos I was uploading), so I think it's server side not client side.
Posted 41 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

LaurenofSF says:

Me too, uploader is stuck in "publishing status" for a few hours now. Only uploading 8 pictures.

view photos

djbach2011 PRO says:

I've been trying all evening to upload pictures and it gets stuck before the upload finishes. I even tried using Chrome rather than IE. That didn't work either.

view photos

Hoojung says:

it happend again to me. (hung while 'Publishing')

view photos

Martin Ystenes - on Iceland PRO says:

6 failed attempts for me to night, one success with 2 photos. Obviously nothing I have to blame myself for.

view photos

KellyLA PRO says:

Same problem for me tonight, twice - stuck "Publishing". Very aggravating after spending ample time tagging, labeling & organizing twice to have it fail again... only to hope that it's fixed in the near future & re-do the whole thing. I've opened my photo stream in a new tab hoping some would have uploaded, but no such luck.

view photos

IVPics says:

I have had this same exact problem. This is very frustrating.

view photos

TramBus says:

Still happening. Rather annoying.

view photos

jojit_ay PRO says:

I have a similar problem. Stuck with verifying. Then it said "this file fail to upload" for all pictures in the batch.

I've tried clearing the cache, different browsers on my iMac. Still the same. But old uploadr works.

view photos

Jeans and Smoking says:

I've also tried to upload 5 pictures now. 4 is ok, but with 5 or more the uploader fails. I don't see any progress with this issue. I'm very unhappy with that. Since 23:00 the issue occured, now it is 12:38 - so about 14 hours!

view photos

Jeans and Smoking says:

loupiote (Old Skool):

still not working!

view photos

sadandbeautiful (Sarah) PRO says:

It regularly takes me more than one attempt to upload one photo using the new uploader. I refresh page, say 'ok' to losing info, the try again and it usually works. I've just gotten used to it, but it is annoying to be sure.

view photos

NOR-CON PRO says:

Same here, trying to upload 50 photos and Publishing message just hangs there with nothing happening. HELLLPPP!!!

view photos

stinkenroboter says:

I've noticed the same publish-hanging issue for the past 2 days. Never had a problem with the new uploader before.
stinkenroboter edited this topic 41 months ago.

view photos

Robby Virus PRO says:

Me too! I tried TWICE to upload a batch of 10 photos last night and then again this morning and it got hung up on "publishing". Is the uploader down? It's a lot of work to tag, add descriptions, and then have it all lost.

view photos

HCA pics PRO says:

Yesterday I uploaded 200 photos with no problems at all. No problem with publishing them. Since then I have been trying and trying over and over again to upload a couple of other groups of pictures -- one with 60 photos and one with 100 photos. Everytime it gets stuck on publishing. Wish this problem would be resolved soon.

view photos

tpw101 PRO says:

I am also having this problem tonight. It was fine two days ago. Seriously, if this was a problem two months ago, why is it still unresolved?

I've tried:
- using chrome not safari
- renaming all files to be unique and short
- restarting router

None work. I'm not keen to upload all my files in batches of four for ever more (which reading up seems to be a solution). Come on Flickr - I'd expect this from a free site but this is a paid service and I'm going to want my money back if this isn't fixed.
tpw101 edited this topic 41 months ago.

view photos

MustangMarkF PRO says:

Ive been trying to upload via web for 2 hours now- page keeps getting stuck on "publishing" :(( (am in the UK)

view photos

IndiaEcho Photography PRO says:

I have been having this problem (also from the UK) for the last 24 hours now....

view photos

luminousmidnight PRO says:

Hooray! It's not just me! We should not have to be using an old uploaded to get our photos up. I used an "unsupported browser" (camino) and got my photos uploaded with the old uploader, since the new one isn't supported with camino.

view photos

KellyLA PRO says:

KellyLA:

UPDATE - I'm not sure what Flickr has done but I've checked my photostream tonight & all the pictures I tried to upload last night but were stuck "Publishing" have now appeared. Hopefully this means they are fixing things!

view photos

Fotoriff says:

Xerxes2K:

Hi, I just tried 2 days ago 03-09-13 with 16 photos and like everyone else it was stuck on the publishing window. A time out feature would really be beneficial until this problem is fixed. I run FireFox and a Mac computer. All of my captions and tags were lost and that's aggravating especially when there is no way of escaping a frozen Publishing window. It sounds like the old up-loader is the way to go. I liked the new up-loader, but I really hate to re-type everything out when it fails!! Like I said before, a "time out" window should be installed and the photos and captions should be able to be saved in a queue somewhere.
Fotoriff edited this topic 41 months ago.

view photos

Fotoriff says:

eyrieowl:

Very well put!! I couldn't agree more!

view photos

tpw101 PRO says:

I've had the same as KellyLA, although most I'd given up and tried to reload using the old uploader. That normally gets though about half way through the upload before inexplicably stopping. But at least photos it has already uploaded when that happens actually appear on the photostream...

view photos

geognerd PRO says:

I just want to chime in and say I am experiencing this problem right now. Two nights ago I put in a lot of time writing descriptions and tags for 27 photos and I got stuck at the publishing screen. Now I am having the same problem with an upload of 9 photos. Some are actually part of that batch of 27 that failed. I am on a Win 7 x64 machine running Firefox ESR 17.0.4.

Interestingly, I uploaded 9 photos without a problem earlier today from my Mac running whatever the most current versions of Mac OS and Firefox ESR are.

I was able to successfully upload some photos last night from the Windows machine with the Flickr Uploadr v3.2.1 program.

It really stinks to put in the work of writing descriptions and tags for a bunch of photos just to have the upload fail. I like looking at my photos, but I'm rather irritated that I am now writing descriptions and tags for a *third* time.

view photos

sandelion says:

I've been having this problem for the last two days, though sometimes it spends hours uploading and never makes it to publishing. I have to decided whether or not to renew my gift account next week, and if I can't upload, not sure why I'd renew....

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

geognerd:

It really stinks to put in the work of writing descriptions and tags for a bunch of photos just to have the upload fail. I like looking at my photos, but I'm rather irritated that I am now writing descriptions and tags for a *third* time.

It's probably a good idea not to put in tags and descriptions via the uploadr. Wait until the photos have successfully uploaded, and use the Organizr instead. Perhaps you don't like that interface as well, but at least it's more reliable.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

mag3737

"It's probably a good idea not to put in tags and descriptions via the uploadr. Wait until the photos have successfully uploaded, and use the Organizr instead. Perhaps you don't like that interface as well, but at least it's more reliable."

+1

Especially when the Uploadr is having these issues.

Even more reliable: add the titles, tags, and descriptions before uploading. You probably already have software that will edit metadata of image files; if not, there are small and easy freeware apps that will do it. Then Flickr automatically reads that info and populates the appropriate fields on Flickr for each image. The huge advantages: (1) don't have to rely on Flickr's interface, (2) the information is stored IN the image file forever, and (3) the text is searchable on your computer.

view photos

Caroline H2007 PRO says:

mutsubu:

2 months on from this reply and I have the same problem. Spent hours yesterday uploading, it got sticuk and I finally closed it and started again today. Am tryng to upload 120 photos and it's haning with 'publishing' and about 90% on the bar. What a USELESS SYSTEM. Will have to find another photo sharing site. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME....

view photos

Threadweavle says:

Basic uploader not working at all what's going on

view photos

jojit_ay PRO says:

It is not working for me again. Stuck in "verifying" even just for uploading 1 photo.

view photos

opalpeterliu PRO says:

Fantasyfan:
Same thing is still happening to me. Three months passed.

So frustrating!
Posted 40 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

opalpeterliu PRO says:

Wil C. Fry:

Believe me I tried everything. Reboot, refresh, three different browsers, one photo at a time, resize to 100K, webbar uploader, old uploadr, tag, without tag, ....

Three months and is still there. What are the staffs doing?

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

opalpeterliu

I'm not sure why you addressed your comment to me? I've only responded twice in this thread: First, to help a user who suspected file name length was the cause of their issue, and second, to agree with mag3737 when he suggested not wasting time adding descriptions in the new upload interface.

I'm sorry you're still having issues with uploading, but I'm afraid I have no ability to help with that.

view photos

opalpeterliu PRO says:

Xerxes2K:

tell me what was the conclusion from the experiment? I tried everything. And this is two months after your initiation.

Sorry I was trying to address to a Flickr staff

view photos

mjenks PRO says:

I just wanted to add my two cents--I'm a loyal Flickr and Uploadr user--been using Flickr and the Uploadr for years now, when I was living on a boat, and constant internet access for using the web interface wasn't an option. I could just set it all up while aboard, and then click Upload when I found an internet cafe or whatever. Now I live in northern Maine and I thought my wonky satellite internet was causing problems but instead it looks like everyone's having them. I can't ever get a big batch of photos to upload, which means I've stopped using Flickr... So frustrating.

Today I tried just one photo, had to reset the metadata twice, and I still can't get it to work. If I quit, I lose all of my metadata, which isn't that bad, but I want to solve this problem over the long-term. I don't know if anyone more savvy than I am has checked out the Console feature, under Tools, but the error message I'm getting is: Error: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 17:13:53 GMT[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x804b0014 (NS_ERROR_NET_RESET) [nsIOutputStream.writeFrom]" nsresult: "0x804b0014 (NS_ERROR_NET_RESET)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://uploadr/content/upload.js :: anonymous :: line 863" data: no]
Source File: chrome://uploadr/content/upload.js
Line: 946

I'm on a 2011 MacBook Pro, Apple OSX 10.7.5 Lion, Mozilla Firefox 16.0.2, and Flickr Uploadr 3.2.1. Just renewed Pro, too, for two years. Argh. I love the community here, but really frustrated by the support. Yahoo, pay attention to the users you have!!!

Especially thanks to Wil C. Fry's advice, and wondering if anyone has a recommendation for one of these "easy freeware" apps? I'd love to be able to update my metadata offline.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

mjenks

"I'm on a 2011 MacBook Pro, Apple OSX 10.7.5 Lion, Mozilla Firefox 16.0.2, and Flickr Uploadr 3.2.1"

You're using the downloadable "Uploadr", which isn't what this thread is discussing. This thread is about Flickr's new web upload interface here:
www.flickr.com/upload

The Uploadr (software you installed on your computer) hasn't been officially supported since 2009, but some of my acquaintances on the site still use it.

Is the web upload interface not working for you?

"Especially thanks to Wil C. Fry's advice, and wondering if anyone has a recommendation for one of these "easy freeware" apps? I'd love to be able to update my metadata offline."

You're welcome.

I edit my metadata (titles, tags, descriptions, location [geodata], copyright info, etc.) using a freeware app called GeoSetter (here). However, I believe it's only available for Windows computers at this time.

For Mac users like yourself, there are plenty of options as well, though I can't recommend any since I don't have a Mac to test it on.

You could try some for yourself:
www.google.com/search?q=edit+photo+metadata+mac

I hope that helps.

(And I agree with you that editing the metadata offline is the best possible option, even for people like me who aren't having issues with uploading to Flickr. The metadata is then searchable on your computer and backup drives, and most any photo-sharing site can read it from the photo file.)

view photos

Niko S90 PRO says:

Hello all,

I have worked it out but wish I hadn't.

My uploads used to get stuck at verifying.
At the verifying stage, the uploader wants put some more cookies on your computer.

How it used to be:
Flickr uses cookies to check if you have logged in.
It used to put in a cookie under the "login.yahoo.com" entry of your cookies.
You also had to allow cookies for:
flickr.com
www.flickr.com
yahoo.com

Actually, I did make it work with just three of them.

I used to stay logged in for many month at the time.
No problem until now, when flicker just logged me out.

Flicker did delete the login cookie under the "login.yahoo.com" entry.

Now it all changed. To log in, the following is needed.
Now I need extra cookies.

The new way:
scorecardresearch.com
www.scorecardresearch.com
analytics.yahoo.com
web.analytics.yahoo.com
privacyscore.com
(the last one might not be needed, but it pops up just the same)

After flickr cleared my login cookie, all the above are needed.

This is not problem for those who have their cookies on all the time.
I, for one, only allow what is needed.
This is all over now. I am using Opera. Opera allows me to select certain cookies only, but flickr will not work until I allow all cookies and I mean ALL. (Open as a barn door.)
I hope flickr will correct this issue, even if Opera is no longer supported. This is not a browser problem, rather a security one.

The setup in Opera used to be easy before all this.
I have no experience with Firefox, so I cannot help you there, but would like to know if someone manages to block unwanted cookies.
I will never use Chrome because I do not trust Google, yes, my choice. I have just read too much about Goggle. (e.g. Google Earth and WIFI)

Hello flickr staff, what is this with all the new cookies you suddenly need? I, for one, do not want to be tracked. I know that there is money to be made selling this sort of information, but, we do pay $25 each year.

I would like to be able to determine which cookies I allow on my PC.

It is not the question of trusting Yahoo (I have so far), rather not trusting all the other sites dumping cookies on my PC.

Other posts about uploading problems:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632985635717/
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632968199484/
Niko S90 edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

Niko S90 PRO says:

Just to let you know.
I can log in again without the extra cookies.
Thank you flickr staff for fixing it.

The new uploader still refuses to verify.
I still have to open the browser to all cookies if I want to upload.

I hate this uploader more and more every day.
Still waiting for the old uploader to be fixed.
Still haven't renewed my pro.
Niko S90 edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

Niko S90 PRO says:

No, still not working.

view photos

Niko S90 PRO says:

It's working now.
I can renew my pro again.

It started working once I reduced the the number of domain entries that are allowed to place cookies.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads