Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[BUG - staff responding] Photostream Count Incorrect, needs to be rebuilt
Latest: 56 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 3 hours ago
[replacing | staff response] Aviary editing functions disabled
Latest: 15 hours ago
[Official Thread] Details on the new Flickr About page (formerly Profile page)
Latest: 17 hours ago

Current Discussion

[investigating] Photos not in any albums not showing up in "Your content not in a set"
Latest: 2 minutes ago
[resolved?] This Photo Is No Longer Available (Again)
Latest: 52 minutes ago
BUG Photo No Longer Available
Latest: 54 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Introducing the Flickr Camera Roll (Beta)
Latest: 5 hours ago
Notifications of recent activity on Samsung devices
Latest: 5 hours ago
[answer provided but not solved!] My photos still can not be found by tag search
Latest: 7 hours ago
Moderate review
Latest: 8 hours ago
Cannot Upload Images. "Timed Out" "Go Back And Fix Errors"
BUG or design? My date of joining is no longer a clickable link taking me to Camera Roll
No more Archive???
Latest: 9 hours ago
Edit section missing ?
Latest: 10 hours ago
Want to share different albums with different friends
Latest: 10 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] Camera Settings (EXIF) on the photo page

Flickr Staff

Schill PRO says:

Hello, glorious Flickr users,

We've made two changes to the photo page around the "photo story" and "additional info" area relating to EXIF information.

When available, we currently show the make and model of camera used to take the given photo along with the date, time and location.

In many cases, we would link the camera model (i.e., "using an Apple iPhone 4"), to the EXIF page for a photo. Now, it will link to the Camera Finder page - a much more logical destination.

In conjunction, we are now starting to show some EXIF information inline on the photo page, under the "Additional info" heading. At present, we show exposure time, aperture, film speed, and focal length as applicable on the photo page.

Here's an example of how it looks:

The EXIF details themselves are a link, which now points to the full EXIF page.

Note that your EXIF will only be displayed to others based on your account preferences; you can review your current setting on the EXIF Privacy page.

As a Canon 5D owner, one of my favourite things is seeing the camera settings that people use to take great photos; this little UI tweak helps to expose some of that info up-front.
Posted at 2:22PM, 9 November 2012 PDT ( permalink )
waferbaby (staff) edited this topic 56 months ago.

← prev 1 2 3
(1 to 100 of 208 replies in [Official Topic] Camera Settings (EXIF) on the photo page)
view photos

BlueisCoool says:

Why is there a [?] next to the camera model?
Posted 56 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

Ugh, I don't love this. I didn't mind sharing it (my exif) via click through but putting it right there on the page is just asking for someone to armchair quarterback your choices.

If I now choose to hide the EXIF on flickr, will this affect flickr being able to access the geo-info and place my images on the map automatically?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Schill PRO says:

BlueisCoool : Since we changed the camera link (which used to go to the EXIF page), the [?] link points to the new inline EXIF area below on the photo page. We expected a few people might wonder where the EXIF link went, etc. (It is also under the "Actions" menu, as well).

The [?] link will be temporary, and we'll take it down after the newness has worn off.

view photos

BlueisCoool says:

I see that now - thank you.

view photos

austenhaines says:

so you hover over the ? which says 'view exif info' click it, only to have to click again to get to all of the exif info?

can we just remove the ?

But i like the idea anyhow. i reckon a lot of people are only interested in the basic exif info.

EDIT
just seen that you are gonna remove it. :-)

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

So I changed my EXIF privacy settings to "hide." I presume that will only apply to future uploads? Is there a way to batch change this for already uploaded photos?

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

austenhaines:

so you hover over the ? which says 'view exif info' click it, only to have to click again to get to all of the exif info?

The click takes you down the page (in case you didn't already know to look there) to that particular subset of EXIF info. But you don't have to click to see that. Clicking on the subset takes you to the Big Long List of Ridiculous Amounts of EXIF info.

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

RubyMae:

So I changed my EXIF privacy settings to "hide." I presume that will only apply to future uploads? Is there a way to batch change this for already uploaded photos?

It's a full-account setting not an upload default. The EXIF data are still there (for mapping etc.), just not visible -- though I'm sure if I'm wrong I'll be corrected on that! (I used to turn the show EXIF option on and off all the time. Couldn't make up my mind.)

view photos

Flickr Staff

Schill PRO says:

RubyMae: The EXIF Privacy setting controls whether the EXIF details page is available, as well as the new UI introduced today. It is global and applies to all uploads.

Keep in mind that as the photo owner, you will always be able to see this info - but your settings will affect other users' ability to see it.

EXIF as it relates to geo and placing your photos on the map is a separate preference, which you can review here.

view photos

PDX503 PRO says:

I for one welcome our EXIF showing overlords.

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Oh yeah - thanks for this! It's appreciated :)

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

& Thanks.

view photos

p0239u5;aklfdjgpwo8e5udfjkniuewqthskdjfg[8q4tjh says:

I like it. Thanks.

view photos

Stuart Axe PRO says:

i don't want other users to know my secrets!

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Stuart Axe:

i don't want other users to know my secrets!

Nothing has changed in what information is available - just how many clicks it takes to see it. You can hide your EXIF data via your account settings.

view photos

That's your choice.

You can hide it here:
www.flickr.com/account/privacy/
under "Hide your EXIF data"

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

Very cool! Seems to be broken for some photos, though. This one of mine for example:
www.flickr.com/photos/mag3737/743695088/
Looks like a parsing problem, %s bits suggest something not getting properly replaced. I thought it might be related to the EXIF data for that particular camera, but some other photos by that camera have their settings displayed correctly.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Schill PRO says:

mag3737: Thanks, looks like a bug where the EXIF is not parsing correctly on (some) older photos. Will investigate.

view photos

andyscamera says:

Nicely done.

view photos

hans s says:

thanks, been wanting this for a long time (now dont have to open another page for it). flickr keeps getting better

view photos

Flickr Staff

Schill PRO says:

mag3737: I'm deploying a fallback for the case where EXIF parsing times out or fails (which shouldn't normally happen anyway). The underlying cause of the timeout in your case is known, and someone is looking into that.

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

Schill:
Cool, thanks! Fallback looks like it is working, if you're referring to the arrow-button that's there now.

view photos

mag3737 PRO says:

Could there be a (different?) bug that causes no "Settings" link to display on a photo at all? Obviously that would make sense if there's no EXIF data. But this one must have EXIF data, because Flickr is able to detect the camera type. But there's no "Settings" link:
www.flickr.com/photos/mag3737/195970083/

view photos

Spangles44 The cheerful photographer!!!!! PRO says:

It's cool, I like it

view photos

Flickr Staff

Schill PRO says:

mag3737: Good find, thanks. There's another case where some older photos have EXIF, but our code isn't picking this up and showing the new UI. We should have a fix out for this after the weekend.

view photos

Vox Sciurorum PRO says:

I like seeing settings in the main page. Having the camera link to the camera finder is mostly harmless. It makes more sense, but it isn't a very useful feature. As long as the new settings row links to metadata I suppose I'll get over it.

The faint text for the metadata, light gray on white in a light font, should be darkened or otherwise made easier to see.

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

Very cool... I wonder though, would it be possible to say, have the basic info but block the ability for the more detailed exif to be displayed? I keep my EXIF hidden by default - I know that some camera models' EXIF includes serial numbers and there are other concerns people have, wrt showing *all* metadata - but I might consider enabling the basic display if that's all that showed...

view photos

pointnshoot says:

I don't like it! This is stupid

view photos

Hockey.Lover PRO says:

Not really liking it. I frequently look at exif and now it seems to be an extra step to get there.

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

Hockey.Lover:

It's right on the page. You don't have to click anything.

view photos

meabbott PRO says:

I dig this.

view photos

personne.de.chandigarh PRO says:

Another improvement. Kudos. Makes the photopages that much more photography-centric as opposed to these being just a means for social swapping of snapshot views as on web-sites with a social networking orientation.

view photos

Nicole Bechaz says:

Excellent! I like it!

view photos

Nic (Luckypenguin) PRO says:

I think that this is a nice improvement, but does anyone else think that the exif data appears too far down the page?

view photos

z381 says:

Schill:

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

Schill:

In conjunction, we are now starting to show some EXIF information inline on the photo page, under the "Additional info" heading. At present, we show exposure time, aperture, film speed, and focal length as applicable on the photo page.

Nice

view photos

pongo 2007 PRO says:

I agree, Flickr is about photo sharing.

I really like this new feature. Well done Flickr.

view photos

...anna... says:

+1

I wonder though, would it be possible to say, have the basic info but block the ability for the more detailed exif to be displayed?

I don't like to have the exact date/time details accessible, but it would be a very nice option to have this basic facility on my photo page.

view photos

allesok says:

a:n:n:a:

+1

view photos

2-Dog-Farm PRO says:

Not like. Followed the instructions to hide it, and the EXIF data still shows up under the additional information.

view photos

Your EXIF data will always be available/visible to you. I can however not see it on your photos.

view photos

pamelaadam PRO says:

thank you for putting back exif on the page instead of clicking through I have missed this.

view photos

thomas lieser (thomas-lieser.smugmug.com) says:

I love it! Good idea. This is what flickr should be about: photography.
thanks!

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

If a photo is in lots of sets or groups or has masses of tags the new EXIF line gets pushed off screen so the camera make and model and new EXIF line don't show up on one screen.

Any chance of having the camera make and model included in a grey box with the new EXIF data line. The word Settings could probably be left out to make room

e.g.

Canon PowerShot SX210 IS 1/30 ƒ/3.5 ISO 80 5 mm
Leo Reynolds edited this topic 56 months ago.

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

Not sure if it's related to these changes but if I click on the photo location description on one of MY photos I'm being taken to the Organizr Map. The click used to bring up a small map window over the top of the photo page.

view photos

Still brings up the small map for me in Maps. Which browser are you using? And try to see if it does the same in another one.

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

Thanks for trying it out on your setup. Did you try it on one of your photos? This only happens on my photos. It's going to do the same in any browser as the link has "organize" and "batch" in it.

"www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?batch_geotag=1&ids=8171763213&from_geo_ids=8171763213"

EDIT: Since posting this I've played a bit more and found that the problem is related to photos that I've taken with the Hipstamatic 260. On those photo pages the links to the maps open in the full Organizr instead of the small floating window. The links on photo pages I've taken with other cameras open in a small window as expected.

view photos

Yes. I tried it on my own photos.
That link does not work for me.

view photos

Anyway, maybe you should post your query to the official Maps topic here:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157630333262094/?search=all+n...

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

No, it won't as it's designed to take me to my Organizr page.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

"It's right on the page. You don't have to click anything."

To be fair, many viewers are still going to have to click something. On my monitor, the EXIF is just barely visible at the lower right. Anyone viewing a slight smaller monitor or with the browser window not maximized won't see it without scrolling. :-)

Schill

"Now, it [the camera name] will link to the Camera Finder page - a much more logical destination."

That IS more logical. :-) Though some of us have just now gotten used to clicking the camera name to see EXIF.

"In conjunction, we are now starting to show some EXIF information inline on the photo page, under the "Additional info" heading. At present, we show exposure time, aperture, film speed, and focal length as applicable on the photo page."

I like it. As staff is aware, some of us have been asking for this for a LONG time. +1

"As a Canon 5D owner, one of my favourite things is seeing the camera settings that people use to take great photos; this little UI tweak helps to expose some of that info up-front."

If by "up front" you mean "hidden further down the page", then yes. :-)

As I noted above, the information will be "below the fold" for many viewers. For me, it's only barely visible, with my monitor maximized on a 1920x1080 monitor. If I had a few more tags or added my image to one more set/group, then it wouldn't be visible at all.

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

Ncedisa: I posted the query here as this has only come to light since the EXIF changes were made so I thought it may be related.

view photos

Well, it works for me in Opera, Firefox, and Explorer, but I feel seriously uncomfortable discussing this here.

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

There's a bug which is related to photos taken with Hipstamatic 260. The [?] does not appear after Hipstamatic 260 and the Map links are taking me to the full Organizr rather than opening a separate window. The map links on photos I have taken with other cameras are behaving as expected.

Ncedisa: I'm sure this bug has been introduced with the coding for the new EXIF display. I'll have to wait for staff on Monday to decide.

view photos

Sky Noir PRO says:

Great!! Nice work... a small but useful addition to the Flickr world.

Thanks Flickr Folks :)

view photos

Justin P Brown says:

I preferred all the information as it was before, accessible in one click. The exif data is relevant to the exposure shown, not what type of camera was used. If anything it ought to have been the other way around; that the exif data remained at the top of the page and the camera model info was re-located. Showing a picture of what camera was used is quite useless (I'm not going to go and buy a new camera every time I see which one has taken which photograph), where as the lens and, moreover, the photographer are more relevant (though I don't need to see a picture of the photographer either.)
My cynical side thinks that eventually there'll be a shopping link next to the camera picture.

view photos

Luciano Giandomenico says:

I'm still waiting for a positive innovation. They are always negative.

view photos

Hockey.Lover PRO says:

RubyMae:Ruby, I don't mean that part. I mean the page where you now have to click "ACTIONS" then have to click "exif". That is the page I want to look at. It isn't only about the exif for me, I like to see the time and other things. Thanks, though.

view photos

Hockey.Lover PRO says:

Justin P Brown:Well said, exactly what I was thinking!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Schill PRO says:

Thanks for the feedback, all. A few replies here as to why we did X, etc.:

Nic (Luckypenguin): We tried putting the new EXIF info higher up in the page - above the map, below the map and so on - but we found when we did that, it bumped other important information like sets and other contexts further down the page. We think the current location is a good start, but we're looking into ways to better the integration into the photo "story" area ("taken with", and so on).

Leo Reynolds, Wil C. Fry: As the EXIF is shown under "Additional Info", it will indeed be pushed further down the page if the photo is in numerous sets, groups and has a lot of tags.

The right column is a fine balance of "story", "context" and "other info", so we're being conservative with our introduction of a new item.

As I mentioned above, the current EXIF placement is our "Version 1.0" of the feature, and we'll be thinking about ways to show it in a more integrated fashion in the future.

Regarding "Hipstamatic 260" and other virtual cameras, we only show the [?] when the camera make/model itself is a link (which as mentioned, used to go to the EXIF page). The Hipstamatic 260 refers to the Hipstamatic software and not a real, physical camera model known by Flickr's Camera Finder, so that is why it is not linked.

Justin P Brown, Hockey.Lover: Keep in mind that the new EXIF data is also a link you can click, which takes you to the full EXIF page.

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

You can click on the part of the EXIF data that is shown on the photo page - that's one click to take you to the full EXIF data.

view photos

Justin P Brown says:

Schill:

Thank you, I was unaware of this link. Have you thought about making these features customisable to the user? I for one will almost never look at what camera was used for an image capture as I feel it is largely irrelevant, also I never use the map feature there, and so would swap these positionally in favour of the extended exif data. Thank you for your reply.

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

This is what I'd like to see:

The EXIF data is close to the Camera make and model, no need for a "sidecar" link and the link to the full EXIF data will be very close to where it used to be.

Customisable would be good too.

view photos

flips99 says:

I see what is reporting in this post: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157631969717783/7215763... on my images uploaded before January 9th 2009. Pictures uploaded after January 15th 2009 have the correct exif information showing. Same camera used on both sides of those dates.

view photos

riggshots PRO says:

Please excuse me I am not thick but a bit confused - if my EXIF is hidden do the exposure details still appear in additional info., also does my camera make/model show at top of page.

view photos

Justin P Brown says:

Leo Reynolds:

Perfect Leo, I agree with your mock up. There's no need for the large graphic representation of a map there, and the exif data shown doubles as a link to its extended version. In fact its all linkable. Ace.

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

riggshots: I've just looked at the first photo in your stream and cannot see any of the information you mentioned.

view photos

kellan says:

Looks good. (nice to see EXIF discoverable again)

Now if only we could search by exif!

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

Justin P Brown: The photo I used for the mockup was not added to the map so the map is not shown. If the photo was added to the map then the map would show up.

Mockup with map included

view photos

JohnCumisky says:

As I only shoot film, I have to add all exif manually to my scans before uploading.
It still shows the camera model, but it is no longer clickable so data such as lens and aperture isn't accessible.
Could this be fixed?

view photos

Hockey.Lover PRO says:

Schill:
Lú_:

Thanks for the info. Never thought to try and click on that link.

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

John©: You can see all the EXIF data by clicking the EXIF data under Additional Info.

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

Schill: Should I start in new thread about the map problem or is it in hand?

view photos

JohnCumisky says:

Leo Reynolds:

Where is "additional info" ?

view photos

pashl PRO says:

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

It's accessible still under Actions.

view photos

JohnCumisky says:

pashl:

I have no idea what that means.

view photos

JohnCumisky says:

Lú_:

Thanks, though I know many click the link next to the upload.
I hope they make it clickable again.

view photos

Jessica Kirste says:

Love it! Was wondering when this feature would come where the exif would be on the photo page! :) I do wish it was closer to the map tho. But its still nice its there.

view photos

Leo Reynolds PRO says:

John©: Underneath the Tags. If you can't see it then maybe you don't have any further EXIF data to look at or you are looking at a photo where displaying EXIF data has been turned off.

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

He explained that his EXIF data doesn't include those elements (he's manually adding it), so he doesn't see the data shown there.

view photos

ceila♪♫♪ PRO says:

I think it's well done. I like it!

view photos

Mukumbura PRO says:

So, two clicks, and a trip down the page, instead of one click to get to the full EXIF details now??? That doesn't make sense to me!

Why not just put the link to the EXIF data next to the camera name, i.e. where there puzzling [?] now appears?

view photos

JohnCumisky says:

Leo Reynolds:

As LU said, I have exif, but with the new changes it is now disabled.

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Two clicks (Actions -> Show EXIF data) *or* scroll a tiny bit and click on the selected EXIF data. Either gets you the *full* EXIF data. For just those key pieces, just scroll a bit if it's not already showing on your screen. The ? is temporary for people to find the EXIF data.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

I would like to able to show the Exif for some photos, but not for others without having to clear it before uploading .. This would be very useful for when many of us have to clear the Exif for when we post photos too the many Guess Where Groups...

www.flickr.com/search/groups/?w=all&q=Guess
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 56 months ago.

view photos

Patrick Costello PRO says:

John©:

No it's not:

www.flickr.com/photos/pulsebeat/8171788808/meta/in/photos...

view photos

JohnCumisky says:

Patrick Costello:

The ability to click the camera link is, that's what I"d like Flickr to look at.

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

The issue seems to be that if Flickr doesn't recognize the camera, then none of the exif is shown under the Additional Information.

view photos

Nadeem Karim PRO says:

Thanks that will save me some time :)

view photos

Vox Sciurorum PRO says:

I also want the information higher. It is more important than the list of groups to which the photo belongs. Since the list of people tags is usually unrelated to the contents of the photo, more important than that too.

view photos

CFein Photography PRO says:

I think the main EXIF on the front page is a great improvement. I wonder if the lens could be included, either with the EXIF info or together with the Camera type. I like Leo's set-up with the EXIF info further up the page. I don't geo-tag my photos so I'm happy for the large map to go someplace else. I find it rather large where it is.
CFein Photography edited this topic 56 months ago.

view photos

red rock photography says:

nice to have the basic exif visible, though higher up the page would be good. Perhaps the lens used to take the shot could be added along with the camera too?

Also, could clicking on the camera [and lens if it were there] show first the photos taken by the user using that equipment then with a link onto the camera finder page?

view photos

TPorter2006 PRO says:

Schill:

Still love that salutation,

Nice addition. I admin a group that has a Long Exposure challenge where we have to verify the EXIF data of challenge entries for exposure time. This makes that process easier, thanks!

Would like it further up the photopage as mentioned above...

view photos

debraturner PRO says:

Schill It would be great if the new abbreviated EXIF info could be placed right under the camera make and model instead of so far down the page? I like the change you made so it can be seen at a glance...now that I know what is going on. At first I thought Flickr was having technical problems! LOL :-)

view photos

trishanorton PRO says:

Schill:

I do not want the settings displayed on each image I post....that is why I keep the EXIF info private. How do I disable this private info of mine from all who look at my photo? I shoot in different ways and would rather people ask me about my settings and I will gladly talk to them but I DO NOT want that info available for all to see on each image. If we choose private it should not be shown....I don't understand. Thank you in advance for your response.

view photos

TPorter2006 PRO says:

trishanorton:

Your EXIF data will be visible to you, however, I can't see it on your pics at all.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

"I do not want the settings displayed on each image I post....that is why I keep the EXIF info private"

If you keep it private, then it isn't displayed.

" If we choose private it should not be shown"

Always been that way. Still is.

view photos

Old Fogey 1942 PRO says:

Generally in favour, but do get rid of that "(?)" which is pointless.

view photos

为什么? says:

Its a good set up. It's an easy and fast way to see basic EXIF and more if wanted.

As others mention maybe change the question mark to something else. Maybe an "Info" button, like the one found on a camera?

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3
(1 to 100 of 208 replies in [Official Topic] Camera Settings (EXIF) on the photo page)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads