Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Detailed explanation of new features in Flickr 3.0 apps
Latest: 28 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Using a Yahoo username and password to sign in to Flickr
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Official Thread] Update on the new photo experience
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Official Thread] Take a survey to help us improve Flickr groups
Latest: 13 hours ago
[Official Thread] Providing feedback on Flickr 3.0 for iOS and Android
Latest: 7 days ago

Current Discussion

Anyone else having issues with Farm 8?
Latest: 3 minutes ago
I cannot access my flickr account (google log-in)
Latest: 5 minutes ago
How the hell do you access Groups in mobile app?
Latest: 18 minutes ago
Why are views down 80% today (Thursday) ???
Latest: 22 minutes ago
Why does Flickr want 3rd party site (presumably) to have access my private photos?
Latest: 45 minutes ago
Recommendation for low-budget, high quality 1" close up P&S or DSLR
Latest: 60 minutes ago
maps
Latest: 82 minutes ago
Help me set up my 93 year old Grandma to effortlessly see shared family photos on her Ipad
Latest: 89 minutes ago
Oops! An issue occured (SIC) while loading. Please refresh the page.
Latest: 89 minutes ago
What happened to Sets ?
Latest: 2 hours ago
share with a Link to someone, without making it PUBLIC possible?
Uploads to the group pool have been disabled.
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] Feedback on New Web Uploadr

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

[Official Topic] Feedback on the New Web Uploadr

We've just start rolling out the new web uploadr, if you have questions or feedback about it, this is the right forum topic for you.

If you need to report a bug, please use this topic here:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157629534530022/

Staff update:

05/24: We just added the Add to Groups option to the new Uploadr. If you have any feedback, this thread is still for you.

04/30 1:30pm(pst): We turned off the new web uploadr temporarily in order to work on some bugs. We will bring it back up as soon as possible. Please use the Flash uploadr in the mean time. Thanks!

04/30 4:15pm(pst): The new web uplodar is up and running again. Thank you for your patience!
Posted at 11:05AM, 25 April 2012 PDT ( permalink )
eMiLy @_@ (staff) edited this topic 24 months ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(1 to 100 of 660 replies in [Official Topic] Feedback on New Web Uploadr)
view photos

Hairlover says:

And I love it! It's a vast improvement over the older version.
Posted 24 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Sarah @ TM2TS says:

Totally and completely agree. I love it too.
Just ADORE IT! Simple, easy, and works.

view photos

Pacdog says:

I'm soo happy!!! *smiles*

view photos

Ian Humes says:

The new uploader works well, fast and easy to use.

I download and manage my photos in Adobe Bridge and use the labelling facility to sort these for processing etc. - what I don't like is the way the new uploader picks up the label description and treats this as a tag or tags.

What I would really like is a facility to set the upload date so that I could shuttle some pictures further down my stream - or at least the facility in "organise and create" to change the "uploaded to flickr" date for a group of photos at the same time.

view photos

Flickr Staff

christopher.berry says:

Hi !

Thanks for the heads up on Adobe Bridge, people use different tools different ways, so I am trying to cover all cases as best as I can as far as putting xmp data in the right fields. I'll look into it.

As far as changing the uploaded date, you can do that from the Edit Title, Tags and Date option in the Actions menu on a photos page or in the Organize & Create page if you double click on a photo it will bring up a dialog that will let you edit the date uploaded for each photo.

Hope that helps!

--Chris

view photos

DaveLPG says:

Very nice. Thanks for this new Uploadr.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

I can't see it yet. :-(

(But I've been told it works only on the absolute latest versions of browsers, such as FF11. Is this still true, or will I be able to use the new uploading interface in Firefox 7?)

view photos

RubyMae says:

Got it . Very slick. Quite intuitive and easy to use. Only played around with a single photo so far (as I'm at work and don't really have access to anything to upload).

Only suggestion - perhaps a cancel button if you ultimately decide you don't want to upload anything? I did see the link in the upper left hand area to go back to my photostream (which if you moved that to the right hand side would be consistent with the layout in Organizr) and wound up using that in lieu of a cancel button.

A further thought - given that all of flickr has a white background (with the exception of light box view and the slideshow) the choice of black for the uploadr background is a little odd. Afterall, the photos in the photostream are are not displayed on a black background.
RubyMae edited this topic 24 months ago.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

RubyMae

Afterall, the photos in the photostream are should be displayed on a black background.

;-)

view photos

RubyMae says:

Yes, but at this time they aren't, so it's odd that the uploadr background is black.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

RubyMae

Oh! You meant "aren't". I was taking issue with the "are" in your sentence. ;-)

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

But I've been told it works only on the absolute latest versions of browsers, such as FF11. Is this still true, or will I be able to use the new uploading interface in Firefox 7?

My Chrome version is 18.x and I'm not seeing it there either.

view photos

gsol says:

Hasn't rolled out to me yet, but looking forward to it!

view photos

RubyMae says:

Whoops, I will go correct that.

view photos

dreamhorseranch says:

HATE HATE the black/ dark grey choice for background. WHY?!

I also HATE that t;he new versions of Photoshop Elements and the iPhoto editing have default black/dark grey backgrounds.

Flickr, why not stick to the white background the uploader screen had before?! Why mess with a good thing?

view photos

Tom Andres says:

I am still hoping it will be possible to upload animated gifs to flickr.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Okay, I'm seeing it now, but only in Chrome 18. I guess that answers my question above -- it's not going to show up in a slightly dated browser.

(By "slightly dated", I mean a couple of months old. Firefox 7 is still pretty darn new by my standards.)

view photos

Ian Humes says:

Thanks Chis, just uploaded again - this time its not picking up the label description. Regarding upload dates - I wanted to do this as a batch rather than one at a time.

view photos

Flickr Staff

christopher.berry says:

'Ian Humes,

You're welcome! Okay, good to know.

Yeah for the upload dates, unfortunately you can only change them one at a time as of right now.

view photos

RubyMae says:

Looking forward to testing this at home. I've been using the desktop uploadr (which is no longer officially supported) for quite some time because I found the web uploadr to be a royal PITA. The new uploadr seems to have a lot of the functionality of the desk top uploadr, such as the ability to drop and drag into order, and create a new set upon upload.

view photos

Flickr Staff

morozgrafix says:

- Currently, we are supporting versions of Chrome 6, Safari 5, Firefox 8 and up.

Sorry didn't reply earlier.

view photos

vidterry says:

My FireFox has recently upgraded to 12.0. I have the new uploader showing...but am filled with trepidation. I'll find out later tonight if it operates in a way consistent with the work flow I've developed.

view photos

judemat says:

This makes me feel all Scott Schillery inside.

view photos

Flickr Staff

phil dokas says:

Y’know what, you’re right. Firefox 7 can totally support this so we’ve adjusted accordingly and you’ll be able to use it there as well. Thanks for the report!

view photos

kmacgray says:

I am still hoping it will be possible to upload animated gifs to flickr.

You could always upload animated GIFs to Flickr. JPGs are generated for use around the site, but the original file remains a GIF.

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

Where's the Official feedback topic for the new "New" flags? ;) (Which I like btw.)

view photos

Doug Barry-Martin says:

Where do I download the new uploader? Can't find it. Would have been helpful to put link in the Flickr Blog.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Where do I download the new uploader? Can't find it. Would have been helpful to put link in the Flickr Blog.

You don't download it, it's the new version of the web uploader. The link is in the main navigation of the site.

view photos

Doug Barry-Martin says:

PS: A really helpful feature to introduce is to be able to rearrange the order in which your images appear on Flickr . Sometimes I load them in a backwards date order and it looks a bit mad.

view photos

kmacgray says:

A really helpful feature to introduce is to be able to rearrange the order in which your images appear on Flickr . Sometimes I load them in a backwards date order and it looks a bit mad

From today's announcement in the Flickr Blog:

We also show preview thumbnails, where supported, so you can use the intuitive drag and drop interface to manage and reorder photos before they hit your photostream.

blog.flickr.net/en/2012/04/25/say-hello-to-the-new-flickr...

If you mean rearrange AFTER they are uploaded, that's not the subject of this thread, and there are existing discussions in Flickr Ideas for that.

view photos

Azchael says:

thanks for the new upload file size limit of 50 mb

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matt Jennings says:

Hi !

As mentioned, the new Uploadr is a web-based upload tool. To use it, click the "Upload" link in the main navigation bar at the top of each page, or use this direct link: www.flickr.com/photos/upload/

Please keep in mind that we are gradually rolling out the Uploadr and you may not see it yet. It will be available for all users soon.

view photos

Bravo Six Niner Delta says:

I am happy with it so far, except that I dislike the dark grey background. I would prefer lighter gray, like the organizer. I would also prefer a visible progress meter.

I love being able to easily alter the upload order — that's a feature I've craved for years!

On my system it runs very fast, and it seems intuitive. Very nice for the most part. Good job!

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

morozgrafix
phil dokas

Thank you both for responding.

I'm very glad to see this in Firefox 7 now. :-)

view photos

personne.de.chandigarh says:

"Say hello to.."
Will, definitely, as soon as I am able to see it.

view photos

PaulFruitcy says:

Im very happy so far no issues to report :)

view photos

Engineer J says:

I would love to upload a few pics but still i see the old (and the really old) option !
Looks like a blessing.

view photos

THATS RIGHT says:

Very happy with new Uploadr, does exactly as advertised. I use Google Chrome. Thanks.

view photos

I am very very bad says:

I can not do buddy icon please help

view photos

braveheart.billy says:

help pls im looking to change my account from safe to restricted. Every time i try i get an untrusted message interupting me. Can anyone help

view photos

kmacgray says:

braveheart.billy
Wife2001

Your issues are unrelated to the subject of this thread, which is the new web uploader. Please start your own topics if you would like assistance.

www.flickr.com/help/

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

* There's not an 'Add to Group' function here. I wonder if that's something still being considered, or if the decision has been made to not include that feature (something that many third-party uploaders have)?

* After uploading two images using the new uploading interface, the browser title bar says "Ready to Publish", so I looked for a "publish" button and didn't find one. There's a big blue button that says "Upload 2 Photos", which was odd, since I'd already uploaded them.

Shouldn't the blue button say "Publish 2 Photos"?

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Better feedback:

The interface of this uploading tool is amazingly better than the previous web upload page. The dark background is much easier on the eyes, for one thing.

The addition of drag-and-drop sorting might possibly be the most-requested feature for uploading to Flickr, so thanks for that.

Showing the IPTC title, tags and description from the beginning is a huge addition too. While my files are uploading, I can proofread those fields, saving time.

view photos

Jean Knowles says:

Using Firefox 12 and don't see it. I'd love to be able to try it out. I don't see it in the latest version of Chrome, either. Sigh.

view photos

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots says:

Absolutely fabulous

view photos

ukoboe says:

I do not have the new uploader yet--I use the basic uploader option for my photos which are from scans of older prints which works very well for my needs. I hope this basic uploader option will always remain in the future as a choice after the new uploader is available.

view photos

: Nils says:

This thread is boring. Bring back the Aviary Outrage thread!

view photos

kmacgray says:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157629746817479/

view photos

Flickr Staff

Schill says:

Wil C. Fry: Groups functionality is something we know people will be looking for, it's on our list. :)

Good catch on the "publish" in the title bar, which is old language from earlier beta versions - I missed scrubbing that one string. It should say "upload", instead, to be consistent with the rest of the language in the UI.

For others who haven't seen the new uploadr yet, hang tight; we'll be rolling it out to a larger percentage of users soon. Once it's on for your account, provided you're in a supported browser, you'll start seeing a "new" flag next to the upload link in the Flickr navigation.

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

Schill There seems to be a language related buglet over in the bugs thread.

view photos

rlg says:

Great. There's a new flickr uploader. But nowhere can I find a button that says CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD. Does anybody here know the secret location for doing so?

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

?
The upload link is at the top of the page.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Good catch on the "publish" in the title bar, which is old language from earlier beta versions - I missed scrubbing that one string. It should say "upload", instead, to be consistent with the rest of the language in the UI.

So, it's correct to click "upload" after the images have uploaded?

The 'publish' part actually seemed correct to me, while the 'upload' part was throwing me off... But if I'm the only one bugged by this, I'll get over it. ;-)

view photos

Flickr Staff

Schill says:

rlg: When in the new uploader UI, you'll find the "upload" button near the top right of the interface.

Wil C. Fry: Technically speaking, we "background upload" photos while you're editing and adding metadata, etc., but they do not hit your photostream until you actually push the "upload" button.

This is a significant departure from the traditional way of uploading on Flickr, and it allows us to do things like reordering before photos actually go into your account.

Also, any photos you remove from the uploader UI are deleted from our servers, in the event they completed "background uploading" before you remove them. The same logic applies if you leave the uploader UI without pushing "upload", and so on.

We went back and forth a bit on the language, initially separating "upload" from "publish", but ultimately users understand that "upload" means "in my photostream" - so we're trying to reinforce that logic, even if it really means we are "sending bytes" in the background and then merely "saving" later.

view photos

teh resa says:

I haven't got it yet but I'm wondering if it will this work with the new ipad? I've been using flickr stackr app to upload from ipad.

view photos

RubyMae says:

It's HTML5 based, not flash, so in theory, it should. See staff's answer just below.
RubyMae edited this topic 24 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Schill says:

iOS devices don't provide any sort of "browse for files" support within mobile Safari, so uploads are not possible from within the browser.

view photos

Seb & AC says:

Cannot comment on it... Still waiting for it
Hope it will work better than the desktop uploader.

view photos

Eyesplash - feels like spring says:

why can't I get an upload for it?

view photos

kmacgray says:

why can't I get an upload for it?

I don't understand your question. "Get an upload for it"?

view photos

RubyMae says:

It's being rolled out amongst the users gradually. There's nothing to "upload" (other than your photos) as it's web-based (meaning you access it from within flickr). You find it by clicking on the "upload" option on the menu bar at the top of the page.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Schill

but ultimately users understand that "upload" means "in my photostream" - so we're trying to reinforce that logic, even if it really means we are "sending bytes" in the background and then merely "saving" later.

Thank you for this explanation.

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

when will the desktop uploadr be updated been waiting since 2009
never use the web based uploadr as I prefer adding info offline in readiness to upload in case of hiccups

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

The desktop uploader was effectively retired. There are several alternatives in the app garden.

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

Patrick Costello
thanks, i am still using it so not quite retired but maybe time to look at the alternatives

view photos

kmacgray says:

i am still using it so not quite retired

You can still use it, but it's not being actively developed.

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

One of my customers still uses OS/2 servers, but I can assure you that o/s is well and truly retired!
Retired is not the same as dead :-)

view photos

artissoft says:

Really love the new uploader! Good work.

Second great new addition this year. I am really happy that flickr took up advancing the platform again. Keep it coming!

view photos

Flickr Staff

phil dokas says:

artissoft:

Thanks for the kind words! You can definitely expect more too. 2012 isn’t even half over yet :)

And! Thank you for your role in the new Uploadr. xScope is a very popular tool around FlickrHQ. 3.0 is a fantastic update!

view photos

@ Reta @ Happiness comes from U... says:

Love the new uploader...sleek & classy !!!

view photos

Creepella Gruesome says:

I just got it now and tried it out. I love it!! What I like the most is the dark gray background. It's much more easier on the eyes. With that said, any chance of having a dark gray background as an option that we can set as a default for how we (and others) view our pages? I know this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't resist because I really love that dark gray background.

Excellent job everyone!! :)
Creepella Gruesome edited this topic 24 months ago.

view photos

G'Hopper says:

Love the new uploader.
Love the dark background. Would like to see it everywhere.
Well done.

view photos

HolyCommunionPhotography says:

Can't wait to get the new Uploader.
HolyCommunionPhotography edited this topic 24 months ago.

view photos

retrogemkitty7 says:

I really dislike the new uploader - just added 15 pics that I'd already rotated & had to rotate them *again*! Wish you'd go back to the old uploader.

view photos

vivagirlco says:

So far? very good!
vivagirlco edited this topic 24 months ago.

view photos

kmacgray says:

retrogemkitty7

Wish you'd go back to the old uploader

From the staff announcement in the uploader bugs topic:

If you prefer to use the Flash uploadr, just use the link on the top right of the new uploadr anytime

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157629534530022/

view photos

flips99 says:

I wish I knew there was no option to add tags, place in sets etc. after the upload button had been pushed. I'm used to do all that after the upload is done. Will get used to it eventually I suppose.

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

You can still do all those operations as a batch in Organizer.

view photos

flips99 says:

I'm aware of that, it's just a matter of habit. No big deal.

view photos

ukoboe says:

Will the older basic uploader option on the page still be available when I get the new uploader?

view photos

kmacgray says:

Will the older basic uploader option on the page still be available when I get the new uploader?

See my reply to this question, asked earlier, four replies above yours.

view photos

Calsidyrose says:

Just tried the new uploader. I'm likin' it so far!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matt Jennings says:

Hi retrogemkitty7,

Thank you for your report! We've identified an issue with photos having incorrect orientation under some circumstances and we're working on a fix. I've added it to the Known Issues list at the top of the official Bugs and Issues forum topic, and I'll update the list when the problem is resolved.

As kmacgray mentioned, you can access the old Flash uploader in the meantime by clicking the link in the upper right-hand corner of the new Uploadr.

view photos

David Cronin says:

I have just tried the new uploader for the first time and I am generally pleased with it. However can I ask for consideration for the inclusion of batch options as in the old uploader. For example I often want to add the same tags to all the photographs in a batch and it does not appear on first examination that this is possible in the new uploader. As it stands I would give the new uploader 8.5 out of 10, with batch options it would be approaching 10 out of 10.

view photos

RubyMae says:

I'm pretty sure you can do batch operations - you just need to select all the photos to do so.

eta: I just tested this - you can definitely add and edit tags as a batch in the new uploadr. Either shift click to select all, or ctrl click to select a few.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matt Jennings says:

Hi David,

You'll be happy to hear that batch options are available!

The uploader lets you select multiple photos and change the settings on all of them at one time. Selected photos will have a pink border. Here's a few tips:

* To select all photos: Click 'All' at the top of the page.
* To select multiple photos: Command+Click on a Mac or Control+Click on a PC. You can also draw a square with your mouse over the photos you want to work with.

view photos

David Cronin says:

Thanks, Cortisol, for the prompt response, I have a number of pictures to upload so I will follow your advice. If I can succede with the batch function I should be able to increase my award for the new uploader and add five stars for customer support.

view photos

trinity091319 says:

I like the new uploader but do NOT like having to add tags for each picture when the tag is the same for all the pictures. How can you duplicate the tags for a whole entire set. Liked the old way actually a bit better but add the black screen!

view photos

David Cronin says:

I have now used the batch functions and have found that they really help. Revised score of 9.5 out of 10 and 5 stars for customer service. Well no program/application is totally perfect but this one comes close!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matt Jennings says:

Hi trinity091319,

The new uploader supports adding tags (among other tasks) on multiple photos at the same time. To select a group of photos, follow the instructions here. Once one or more photos are selected (with the pink border around each photo), any tags you add will apply to all photos in the selection. I hope this helps!

view photos

ceila♪♫♪ says:

I love it with its black background, absolutely famous and it works fine.

view photos

flondo™ says:

re: we are supporting versions of Chrome 6, Safari 5, Firefox 8 and up.

does this mean only or as well as?

not everyone can or wishes to use these systems

view photos

TheDamnMushroom says:

What flondo said... kinda prefer the simple low-octane uploaders. Just because current browsers have shiny new bells and whistles doesn't mean you have to use them at every turn.

view photos

Grifos says:

When do I get a go?

view photos

HaarFager says:

I think what ukoboe meant was not will the old flash uploader still be available, but will the old "basic uploader" still be available. That's what I've always used because it's simple and sweet and always worked. Plus, it uploaded the pictures in the order I wanted them uploaded as. And don't anybody just answer with, "see my reply "x" comments above. Just say yes the old basic uploader will still be available or no the old basic uploader will not be available.

view photos

Azchael says:

still waiting to try it out... craving for it!

view photos

Flickr Staff

phil dokas says:

HaarFager

Yep. The basic uploader will remain available at www.flickr.com/photos/upload/basic/.

view photos

HaarFager says:

Great! Thank you.

view photos

nuno.marques.cruz says:

Why don't I have it?

view photos

jane_sanders says:

"Why don't I have it?"

As stated in the OP, Flickr started to roll out the new web uploader on 25 April - so we'll all get it eventually :-)

(I don't have it yet either.)

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(1 to 100 of 660 replies in [Official Topic] Feedback on New Web Uploadr)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads