Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Bug - staff response] View Count in Stats
Latest: 44 minutes ago
Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 3 hours ago
[replacing | staff response] Aviary editing functions disabled
Latest: 4 hours ago
[BUG] Photostream: Count Incorrect, Missing Images, Album Issues
[BUG] Can't verify/delete Flickr account
Latest: 2 days ago

Current Discussion

Can't see my photostream or anybody else's, just the frames where the graphics should be
Latest: 63 minutes ago
Photostream unavailable: "Yahoo will be right back!"
Latest: 2 hours ago
SOLVED - Share photo is not working
Can't view my photostream in Firefox on Mac
Latest: 5 hours ago
Trying to set up a reusable flickr search using the API
Latest: 5 hours ago
How Can I back up my images and videos
Latest: 10 hours ago
Refunding Flickr Pro membership
Latest: 12 hours ago
contacts photos won't open/contact "icon's show as broken icon
Latest: 14 hours ago
Public Private Albums
Latest: 17 hours ago
private groups
Latest: 19 hours ago
images missing when others view
Latest: 21 hours ago
Private photos in search?
Latest: 21 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Standalone Uploadr Stalls does not Time Out and Loses user Descriptions

timtak PRO says:

I have been caught out again with the standalone flickr uploadr
www.flickr.com/tools/uploadr/
stalling (which is no fault of the flickr uploadr, is very possibly my fault, and even if it were the fault of the uploadr software, which I doubt, I would understand).

What I can't understand and what upsets me enormously is that I am going to lose my descriptions.

Worse still, till recently the flickr uploadr would time out after a while and I would not loose my descriptions, but recently, perhaps because uploading has become so slow, flickr uploadr does not time out and when eventually I press cancel or shut down my computer my descriptions are gone like the wind.

Sure I should remember to copy my descriptions but sometime I forget. I have never known another piece of software to fail in this destructive way. Failing is fine, but not allowing the user to quit without losing user data is very upsetting.

Is there any way I can force uploadr to time out? In the past I have tried removing the media containing the image (nope), stopping the internet connection (no dice) and attempting to inject code via the console "code" "evaluate" button. I have tried installing a memory reading program that allowed me to access the thousands of memory blocks that uploadr has ever accessed but none of them appeared to contain my descriptions. I have looked inside all the files in the uploadr folder but still can not find my descriptions.

For the future, please please allow us to cancel an upload and return to the edit tags and descriptions window without emptying all of them.

Sincerely

Timothy Takemoto

By the way, the console says
Error: Fri, 25 May 2012 10:43:08 GMT UPLOAD ERROR:
Source File: chrome://uploadr/content/upload.js
Line: 144
Posted at 4:06AM, 25 May 2012 PDT ( permalink )
timtak edited this topic 60 months ago.

view photos

Patrick Costello PRO says:

The development of the Flickr standalone uploadr ceased in 2009. It's basically sold as seen these days. You can find other options in the app garden.

(ps it is "loses" not "looses")
Posted 60 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

timtak PRO says:

Thank you for that information.

I will switch to another uploader.

And thank you for the spelling correction:-)

Too bad about my description.

Tim

view photos

Patrick Costello PRO says:

Have you tried the new web uploader? Some people think it's a real step forward.

view photos

timtak PRO says:

I have but I find I have quite a lot of problems with it stalling and the boxes for descriptions are even tinier than on the uploadr.

view photos

kiwirat PRO says:

the description box does expand as you type.....

view photos

-RobW- PRO says:

New Web Uploader would be perfect if it resized my originals as it went, I'd love to ditch the clunky (although working for me) desktop Uploadr.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads