Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Group Settings Update to Ignore Photo Posting Limits
Latest: 25 minutes ago
[Official Thread] New Wallet + Flickr Pro Partners
Latest: 14 hours ago
[fixing - staff response] "this photo is no longer available"
Latest: 23 hours ago
[Fixing - staff response] Very slow and many pandas today
Latest: 30 hours ago
[Official Thread] Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 3 days ago
Change to Limit of "Groups a Photo Can Be Submitted To"
Latest: 2 weeks ago

Current Discussion

Flickr app
Latest: 9 minutes ago
[answer provided] iOS11's HEIF and Flickr auto uploadr in iOS
Latest: 13 minutes ago
can I quickly remove groups without going into each one of them?
Latest: 17 minutes ago
[answer provided] Just bought a Pro account and my views dropped by millions
Latest: 21 minutes ago
View an album
Latest: 44 minutes ago
[staff response - fixing] mentioned you in a photo
Latest: 3 hours ago
Unable to upload video's on FlickR from iPhone
Latest: 6 hours ago
[resolved] explore
Latest: 7 hours ago
[fixing] Album downloads are failing
Latest: 8 hours ago
[won't fix] Attempting Facebook contact import results in 'username or password is incorrect' error
Latest: 9 hours ago
"recent activity" missing
Latest: 9 hours ago
[investigating] sharing from flickr to facebook - images now cropped
Latest: 10 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] New Aviary Photo Edit tool -- Feedback and Bugs

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Howdy,

We are going to gradually roll out the shiny new edit tool to our members starting today. If you have any feedback or encounter bugs with Aviary, this help forum topic is for you!

And remember, if you don't see the new edit tool just yet, give it a couple days!

Staff Update April 18:: "We have now added straighten and resize tools in response to your feedback. Straighten is live for everyone. To use straighten just click 'Orientation' and then drag the toggle at the top of the page. Resize is currently only available in English but will be added to the other languages very soon."

Staff Update: April 17:"Having an HTML5 editing solution was one of the things that was important to us. HTML5 has better compatibility with a variety of today's devices and it will have a better compatibility in the future as the web moves away from Flash. If we have to move on to a different editor now (as we did since Picnik was closing) it's better to invest in the best long term solution and Aviary is the best choice for all of these reasons. "

Staff Update: April 4 12:54pm PST: "We're looking at your suggestions and already working with Aviary on additional features.

The new editor isn't trying to be a Photoshop, Picnik, or a tool that has everything and the kitchen sink. After looking at use of Picnik, there were lots of tools but speed was a limiting factor for a lot of people. (And i say that as someone who loved Picnik.) With the new editor we want to provide a very fast on site editing experience that focuses on the tools people need to quickly edit their photos. The new editor has less tools but is much faster and we believe more people will get use out of it as a result.

In addition to the onsite editor, one of the benefits of Flickr are all the other sites that let you edit, print, and more with your photos because of our open API. The ecosystem of options and tools is part of the reason that we think the Aviary editor is a good fit on the page. The more research that comes out the more we see how important loading speed is. With the Aviary editor here we can give people a fast editing experience on site (that will continue to improve) and you still have other options available when you need them.
"
Posted at 9:16AM, 5 April 2012 PST ( permalink )
pkingDesign (staff) edited this topic 69 months ago.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16
(601 to 700 of 1,571 replies in [Official Topic] New Aviary Photo Edit tool -- Feedback and Bugs)
view photos

kfm9211 PRO says:

Avi,
I appreciate you are working on these PROBLEMS .... but why weren't they sorted BEFORE you went live. And Flickr, out of respect for your clients, why didn't YOU ensure that the editing software was up to scratch. Please explain!
Posted 69 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Lunamia ♥ says:

Try PicMonkey it has lots of picnik features.

view photos

Fintano PRO says:

Avi Muchnick: I feel a little better to know that you are addressing our concerns.

To the Flickr team: I see there is an all-employee meeting with Scott Thompson on Tuesday. I hope that the view is voiced that Yahoo should ensure that they don't kill off their existing successful products like Flickr. Just leaving them the same is acceptable, reducing capability is not.

view photos

kfm9211 PRO says:

Tks, Lunamia. Check it out. Not bad.

view photos

Medium Don says:

Picnic was functional and easy to use. Aviary isn´t. I was under the impression that Picnic was part of what I´m paying for at flickr. Why can´t we keep Picnic as an option in addition to Aviary?
I don´t think I will renew my pro account. I don´t like surprises, and who knows what flickr will change next?

view photos

SF Lіghts says:

That group is just a bad idea waiting to happen.

I would also suggest not telling people specifically that their feedback is useful, you'll just piss others off.

But what do I know...

view photos

camera_obscura [busy] PRO says:

I'll just echo the general that Aviary is not Picnik for many important reasons. Some important ones for me:

- lack of straightener and grid
- lack of fine-tuned exposure correcting (shadows, highlight, etc.)
- lack of visual feedback of adjusting the image while you fiddle with the controls - in Aviary you only see the results when you stop using the controls.
- lack of undo

If you want suggestions for improvements of Aviary: Picnik is/was very useful, PicMonkey is a good clone for me (thanks for tips, folks!). Make Aviary like this! I don't want anything creative and innovative (as defined by those in Yahoo's designers and dev meetings) - I just want a copy of what already works.

Also - where the heck did you get the idea that Picnik is slow? I always thought it was VERY slick for a web experience. One of the best Web experiences for me, really. What is this 'research' that you cite that 'shows' that speed is an issue here? - One or two references to this research would be useful, assuming that it is credible and has been published.

Regarding the claims that it is only a small number of people 'complaining' (and we are not complaining - if you see users as 'complainers' you have completely the wrong approach to designing and marketing your product) - In absolute terms yes, but in terms of participation, they represent the most active and creative core of Flickr users, who are an important constituency in any online community.

Finally: so why can't Flickr do a deal with PicMonkey and integrate their tool?

view photos

FernShade PRO says:

The fine-tuning features that Picnik offered are non-existent in Aviary, it's user-UNfriendly, and primitive, and much of the time it doesn't work!

Better get back to the drawing board!

view photos

PaulO Classic. © PRO says:

Is the message getting through yet?

we DO NOT LIKE AVIARY AS IT IS!! If it is modified to be something like Picnik or PicMonkey or iPiccy, perhaps we will accept it.

Is Yahoo TRYING to chase thousands of people away from Flickr? If not, then they had better do some major damage control, and do it fast!

view photos

seeks2dream PRO says:

Go here folks to state what Flickr users most want from an editing tool:-

Avi Muchnick says:
"I made a FAQ that answers some of the questions that came up about the Aviary editor.

Instead of maintaining it in two separate places, I'm posting it in Aviary's official group on Flickr:

www.flickr.com/groups/aviaryonflickr/discuss/721576297734...

If you see anyone posting comments in this thread that were answered in this FAQ, please do share the link with them."

I guess you need to go there now to say what you prioritise as your 'basic' editing needs.
seeks2dream edited this topic 69 months ago.

view photos

kitty b wonderful PRO says:

I've been getting this since last night: "There was a problem connecting to Aviary. We should try this again a little later.". Fab.

view photos

Mike (waiting patiently) says:

I think the truth of the matter is that the people who are unhappy with Aviary (including myself) are a small minority of Flickr Users.

We don't really know the reasons behind the decision to replace Picnik with Aviary and I'm inclined to the view that we should now make our own arrangements.

It seems unlikely that bit by bit Aviary will be changed into a new Picnik. For my part, PicMonkey seems to fit the bill (with no disrespect to Aviary who have I imagine, delivered what they were asked to deliver).
Mike (waiting patiently) edited this topic 69 months ago.

view photos

personne.de.chandigarh PRO says:

"...If you do want to see the Aviary editor improve..."
Personally, I wouldn't like to take the rather arrogant view that a new photo editor must improve to meet my "discriminating standards". That would hardly be an appropriate response to the hardwork the Aviary team must have put in to create the product.

But, certainly, some of the features listed in this thread could be considered for incorporation. The last time I visited, there was no means by which one could 'fade' the text written with the software. That is one feature that could be useful.

{Edit} The options to replace/save-as under the 'SAVE' command may please be considered as well.
personne.de.chandigarh edited this topic 69 months ago.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

January 13, 2012 Flickr blog says,

"moving away from Picnik. We know that you love editing your photos on Flickr and this transition doesn’t, in any way, mean that there will no longer be editing capabilities. It’s actually quite the opposite: we are working on making the editing experience even better on the site ".

Flickr Blog
blog.flickr.net/en/2012/01/13/start-the-new-year-fresh/

Not much sign of "actually quite the opposite" "even better" as the flickr blog says..
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 69 months ago.

view photos

a girl from a storybook PRO says:

Thanks, Lunamia!
WAY better than Aviary...

view photos

chadwickcat PRO says:

Doesn't work in Opera at all. Your references to the need for speed are misplaced.

view photos

ttelyob says:

OK! So as far as I am concerned Aviary is a waste of time. so, I have tested Picmonkey and find that most of the features that were in Picnik are there and work very much in the same way, not surprising as it was created by people who were with Picnic.

It will be a bit more time consuming, but I will now put my pictures through Picmonkey before I upload to Flickr. It was obviously easier to do it in Flickr, but that cannot be, so will just have to change the way I upload.

If Aviary gets the features I used all the time then maybe I will use it but not until.

It is a pity Flickr could not have negotiated a deal with Picmonkey instead of Aviary.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

"WHY DOESN'T AVIARY INCLUDE UNDO / REDO?"

"We actually had it in an earlier version of the editor but found that it was not used too often. We turned it off to streamline the interface. We found that the Apply/Cancel paradigm worked perfectly well. The capability still exists however, and if it truly is needed, it can be returned quite easily. "

I guess then that the kinder garden stickers were more used than UNDO / REDO ?

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Doesn't work in Opera at all.

Opera is not an officially supported browser on Flickr, so you take your chances with it.

Flickr FAQ: What are the system requirements and supported browsers?

view photos

Preston Digital Archive PRO says:

My takeaway on this whole Aviary issue is that in spite of having a wonderful product (Flickr) the people who run Flickr are so out of touch with the needs and wants of its members.

It must be an embarrasment to the group that made the decision to support Aviary as a replacment for Picnik. In most other corporate enterprises their would be resignations and firings over such a decision.

When this years list of worst business decisions is published this one will surely make the top ten. It's right up there with Netflix' dual pricing model.

view photos

seeks2dream PRO says:

Go here folks to state what Flickr users most want from an editing tool:-

Avi Muchnick (from Aviary )says :

"I made a FAQ that answers some of the questions that came up about the Aviary editor.

Instead of maintaining it in two separate places, I'm posting it in Aviary's official group on Flickr:

If you see anyone posting comments in this thread that were answered in this FAQ, please do share the link with them."

I guess you need to go there now to say what you prioritise as your 'basic' editing needs.

view photos

the silver brick says:

Aviary is just plain awful.
It's fast and simple, but too simple.
I absolutely hate the lack of options.

integrate with ipiccy and/or picmonkey, please!

view photos

brancolina says:

Aviary is far away from good !!!
what's the point of changing editing tool on Flickr if the new version does not improve the previous one?

view photos

babyruthinmd says:

picmonkey is SO much better than Aviary...

view photos

ttelyob says:

A scenario for you;

My nice colour TV has broken down, the repair man says "Dont' worry, i have a fantastic replacement for you, you will really love this black and white set!"

Sound familiar?

view photos

You say, 'My takeaway on this whole Aviary issue is that in spite of having a wonderful product (Flickr) the people who run Flickr are so out of touch with the needs and wants of its members.'

But are we who are disappointed with Aviary just a very small minority of Flickr members? It is possible, probable(?), that the vast majority of Flickrites are totally indifferent to the demise of Picnik and the introduction of Aviary? Or prefer Aviary?

view photos

~Mike & Mary's Photography~ says:

I have gone to picmonkey from picnik. Its as good as Picnik or even better I am finding. I tried Aviary, what a load of rubbish.

PS.... And picmonkey is free.

view photos

^..^ Katie says:

Really unhappy with the new photo editing tool!! It does not even come close to picnik!

view photos

*~MacBern~* aka Argyll Images PRO says:

Picmonkey for me and all! Really liking it. Flickr staff, picmonkey sugesstion for use?

view photos

personne.de.chandigarh PRO says:

"..what's the point.."
How can Flickr provide access to Picnik when Picnik has been closed down by Google?

view photos

carphoto PRO says:

The lack of control for colour temperature is a major omission. The tags also get altered when you run a picture through Aviary? Why change the tags. It just makes more work for us. A functional tool is better than a "slick" tool. PicMonkey is a better tool.

view photos

carphoto PRO says:

Picnic runs until April 19.

view photos

For my part, if I could upload from PicMonkey to Flickr that would be ideal ...

view photos

Fan Majie 範瑪姐 PRO says:

I've been getting this since this morning: "There was a problem connecting to Aviary. We should try this again a little later.". Hardly a chance of evaluating Aviary and make comparisons with Picnic, I suppose. Any idea when I may get access?

view photos

andyscamera says:

You should ask the PicMonkey people about that. They have a Flickr group.

view photos

chadwickcat PRO says:

Been using Flicker with Opera since I started using Flicker in 2008. Flicker and Picnic both have worked fine using Opera. Incidentally, MS-Explorer won't open the enhance features for me either.

The Aviary software reminds me of picture editors that come with cheap digital cameras or those trimmed down for use on smart phones.

Most all the tools effect the whole picture, and the "blemish" substitute for a healing brush lacks any control other than brush size.

view photos

Thanks ~ the question has been asked. Picmonkey is still being developed so we shall really have to wait and see but I shall keep my fingers crossed. Thanks ...

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Been using Flicker with Opera since I started using Flicker in 2008. Flicker and Picnic both have worked fine using Opera.

My point is that while Opera may work just fine, it's not supported should something break with it.

view photos

Maureen Sullivan. PRO says:

I was able to open Aviary, but wasn't impressed with what I found. The interface seems childish and the options are limited.

While I was not a huge Picnik user, it was always fun to see what was there. I think everyone has basic editing services on their computer, or even their phone, so why repeat that?

If Aviary starts to offer the same functions as Picnik, it might be worth a second look, but not as it stands.

Who decided Picnik was too slow? There were times when it bogged down, but not often.

view photos

Pleasant Valley Animal Hospital says:

I simply need to be able to crop the photo to specific (186x186 px) dimensions. I want all of the photos to be the same size. I was working with Picknik last week and it was great. I was under the impression we could use it until April 20 -- what gives?

view photos

Paul Ryan Sketchbooks etc PRO says:

Why would I need to grant Aviary access to all private photos, in order to edit one public one?

Not good practice.
Paul Ryan Sketchbooks etc edited this topic 69 months ago.

view photos

oh_merci PRO says:

I do not see "Pro " account on my flickr page
I do NOT care for this at all
Photo Looks horrid *not that i am a great photographer at all
I loved Picnic and it's choices even though i was not a "premier " account
Time was NOT a factor for me at all with PICNIC

And I also ask, as Paul ryan Sketchbooks etc., why do i need to grant them access to private photos in order to edit?

Sadly, for the first time in Flickr, Not happy

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Why would I need to grant Aviary access to all private photos, in order to edit one public one?

The exact same thing was true of Picnik, according to an earlier comment on this question.

view photos

chloe & ivan PRO says:

good grief.
Just took a long look at advanced.aviary.com/ and looked around their site, read in the blog, and fooled around.

There are smart people on the team, and fun and useful products.

What launched over here at Flickr is not representative of all the possibilities of Aviary in general.
What we got was like a $1 hot dog when we were used to feasting on Italian on the hill.
So we all are freaking out.

I wonder if the target audience for this program was not even those of us who have complained so loudly here.

After seeing some of the possibilities that already exist (in Aviary), I feel kinda cheated, like why didn't we get more?

I have other editing software, but it was convenient to be able to work right off Flickr when I needed to.

I appreciate Avi's responses early on Monday morning,
and hope that helps the agitated mob of Flickrenos have some hope that Aviary is listening.
I need undo/redo.

takes a break from playing angry birds...

view photos

Photo's By Jerry PRO says:

Someone needs to be FIRED!!!!!

view photos

https://www.facebook.com/ArrrrtDesignPhotography says:

How sad to replace picnik with something as limited as this tool. Has flickr gone down the path of snapshots only? I have always seen flickr as the defacto photo sharing site, but this is just ludicrous. If Flickr is hoping that more children will get into photography then I cross my fingers for you.
The effects that Aviary offers are terrible.

How sad. Probably a reason for me to stop being a pro user on Flicrk. I had such high hopes when it was announced that a new editor would replace picnik (even though I was so happy with picnik) and now this...

what a degradation this is...

view photos

Avi Muchnick from Aviary says:

Paul Ryan Sketchbooks etc

Please see the Aviary on Flickr FAQ here:

Here's the relevant portion of the FAQ

* WHY DOES AVIARY NEED PERMISSION TO ACCESS MY PHOTOS?

I promise that we aren’t capturing your data for marketing purposes (or ever personally looking at your photos without your knowledge). That’s just how Flickr’s integration with third parties is required to work. This is the case with *all* third party services that interact with Flickr.

* HOW DO I DELETE AVIARY FROM ACCESSING MY PHOTOS?

Go here to manage which apps have access to your photos and click Remove Permission? next to Aviary:

www.flickr.com/services/auth/list.gne?from=extend

view photos

BlueRidgeKitties PRO says:

I'm not sure I understand all the comments from people saying they will stop using Flickr Pro unless there is a better editor. As far as I understand, editing is available on free accounts as well and not exclusively a feature of Flickr Pro. So what difference would it make? I pay for Pro to have unlimited uploads, more than 200 pics showing, and access to all sizes. Not for the ability to edit, which I don't really care about. Am I missing something?

As far as I know, "Pro" level editing with Picnik required a separate account with them, but was not something included automatically in Flickr Pro. Maybe the solution is to offer some sort of extra "Pro" editing feature again for those who want all the bells and whistles.

view photos

Pam UK says:

Tried Aviary - don't like it at all. Erasing a blemish left a big smudge ! Will have to find an alternative and edit before uploading. Shame......I used to edit most of my pics in Picnik.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

I'm not sure I understand all the comments from people saying they will stop using Flickr Pro unless there is a better editor.

It's because they are incorrectly saying that they are paying for the editing feature, which is false. I guess if they figure if they don't pay for a Pro account, they are sticking it Flickr, and their decision to go with Aviary.

view photos

Joanne Hamblin 2 says:

I can't even open it...very discouraging.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

>Someone needs to be FIRED!!!!!

Someone needs a hug.

view photos

mikek666 PRO says:

Flickr Pro is advertised as having a free editing feature, people that have paid for Flickr Pro when Picnik free version was available have now had a very good editor replaced with what appears to be a fake. To give an analogy, if I purchase house insurance that comes with 12 months "free" holiday insurance cover of a certain quality then that is what I would expect to receive.

view photos

BlueRidgeKitties PRO says:

The free editing feature seems to be available on free Flickr accounts. Purchasing a Flickr Pro account does not appear to give you anything extra over what free accounts have in terms of access to free editing features. I can't find anywhere on Flickr where Pro accounts are advertized as having a free editing feature that is not available to non-Pro users. Like in the list of things you get with Pro from the FAQ - no mention of editing. Am I missing something? The only difference seems to be that if you have a free account, you cannot replace a photo, so your edited versions appear as new uploads and eat into your monthly upload limit. But that doesn't have anything to do with the editing feature itself.

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

Agreed, Flickr has no obligation to provide built-in editing as good as or better than Picnik. There are a million billion other reasons why Flickr should offer editing better than what they had.

view photos

charlie colmer says:

If it ain't broke.......it wasn't, you have, it is now!

view photos

johnb/Derbys/UK says:

Aviary is rubbish end of

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

If it ain't broke.......it wasn't

*sigh*

Even if Flickr announced NO new editing app. Picnik was still going away anyway.

view photos

Pedestrian Photographer PRO says:

This is a disaster of New Coke proportions. It's not too late to go back to the old formula, Flickr. These days they call it PicMonkey. Check it out.

view photos

Erin *~*~* PRO says:

Photo editing feature is useless if you CAN'T SAVE YOUR EDITS. Which I can't. Which sucks. Why bother?

view photos

Mikaela B says:

Ive been trying all day to get Aviary to work....sadly no luck yet. I cant get it to load at all.

view photos

steady2007 says:

Even after clearing cache- a blank white box and nothing else. boo.

view photos

mikek666 PRO says:

Maybe all this is a complex marketing ploy. We will wake up on the 19th April and find a mind blowingly brilliant version of Aviary, available with dozens of functions, better than anything anywhere in the known universe.
On the other hand, over the next few weeks we could see all the whinging about Flickr/Aviary on this forum being given publicity all over the media. Flickr won't have done anything to improve the situation and Facebook or Google suddenly anounce a brand new photo sharing service. Several million non paid up members of Flickr that have never heard of Picnik then get the feeling that somethings wrong with Flickr and move on....

view photos

Mikaela, Erin, steady2007:

Can you please let us know what browser and operating system you are using? Thanks!

view photos

Patrick Costello PRO says:

Don't Facebook have a similar partnership with Aviary?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard PRO says:

Hi all,

I'm catching up on the thread from the weekend and will reply more later toady.

First off unnecessary nastiness and personal attacks won't be tolerated. Thrash Merchant™ I'm giving you a timeout from the forum.

view photos

JohnCumisky says:

Dunno about that, but they just bought Instagram.

view photos

TheGreenHeron says:

If Flickr discontinued allowing us to tag our photos, that would lead me to seek out another photo site, even though tagging is not something specific to my paying pro membership. Being able to label and tag my photos is very important to me and is integral to how I use my Flickr account.

Both free AND paid "perks" and "features" are factors that go into the choice of what photo site you choose to go with. Why did you choose Flickr over SmugMug? Or Phanfare? Or DPhoto? You choose a particular site based on the best combination of features for your typical use. If you're a pro member and an integrated photo editor is something *you* consider important and they drop that feature, then yes, that can be a factor in choosing to go elsewhere.

view photos

steady2007 says:

google chrome windows xp

view photos

Thanks steady. Do you know what version of chrome? It should say it under Help > About Google Chrome (I believe).

view photos

Vince Lam PRO says:

Tried to use both Picnik and Aviary on the same image to compare. The conclusion is that I find Picnik suits my needs more. The straighten and clarity tools are the two I miss badly.

Also, the lack of instant preview and undo make it harder and SLOWER to use as you have to constantly abandon what you have changed and start again.

What is also disappointing is that after seeing what Aviary's Phoenix editor can do as a stand alone service, I can't understand why Flickr could not work out a more complete set of tools at launch. Flickr told us they were working on a replacement of Picnik and they know what tools were available. What came out a few days ago didnt even represent half of the capability of picnik.

If the editing tools doesn't improve back to a similar level as before quickly, I might have to upload my images to Google+ and use the "creative kit" there. That seems to be the closest workflow experience as flickr+picnik.

I have been a pro member for 7 years with 60000+ images uploaded, once I get used to Google+ and their tools, I might rethink whether I renew this pro account. I am sure I am not alone...

Such migration is probably the outcome Google wants by shutting down Picnik, and without giving their users a comparable replacement, Flickr seems to just let this happen.
Vince Lam edited this topic 69 months ago.

view photos

entitee PRO says:

Neutral picker/Color temp!
Some kind of levels histogram based editor

flickr pls

view photos

Jay Black says:

I would like to see two additional features:

I would like an airbrushing tool with an adjustable fade.

I would like to be able to edit my photos in as big as size as I like.

Thank you.

PS: I am not at all pleased with the loss of Picnik and the advent of Aviary which is pretty Mickey Mouse in comparison. Flickr shouldn't have built our hopes up as they did, saying they'd think we'd be impressed. I'm not at all impressed.

view photos

Jay Black says:

May we have a list of other online editing sites that use the Flickr API but are not accessible directly through Flickr?

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

I just need to be able to clone out dust from scanned negatives and to have a handy straightening tool. Don't have much use for the crayons and stickers but that doesn't mean others wouldn't enjoy them. The arty filters? well, now that instagram is in bed with facebook I'll probably ditch instagram so *might* upload some of that sort of thing to flickr.

I never used picnik much. I like that Aviery is faster and can be used on the ipad. Filterstorm is what I use on the ipad right now. Its much better than Aviery but of course I have to use it offline.

view photos

spacemonkey92 says:

Terrible replacement for Picnik. The effects are awful. Huge downgrade.. plus:
No straighten
No side by side
No undo
No exposure
and on and on.

This makes me really sad.

view photos

Mikaela B says:

Im using a Mac with Google Chrome. Still no joy here Im afraid....it tells me there was an error connecting

view photos

Thanks Mikaela, we are looking into this now.

view photos

Pam UK says:

Thanks folks for the PicMonkey tip. Just tried it and find it has all I need for editing pics. It is free and quick and easy to use.

view photos

Pam UK says:

While you are online Avi Muchnick, are there any plans to improve Aviary for the use of Flickr members to bring it more into line with their requirements ?

view photos

Pam UK, please see this helpful FAQ we threw together. :)

view photos

Pam UK says:

Thankyou Avi. I looked at the FAQ and tried the full version of Aviary. Sorry to say I still don't like it.

view photos

Mikaela B says:

Thanks for your prompt responses to my posts.

Still nothing happening here...but Ive got fingers crossed!

view photos

♥DonnazMagicalPix♥ PRO says:

We like to enhance our images the way want to. You cannot do that on Aviary. You get to have the colors that they pick. You have to use the edges that they pick. It is not your art. It is theirs. You cannot use textures. You cannot just slightly enhance your colors. You cannot frame your images. There are no real choices that we need. It must have been made for children.

I am so unhappy that we were betrayed by Picnik when they said we had until April 19 and then all of a sudden without any warning, we inherited Aviary. They also promised us downloads of our Picnik work. Where is that feature?

I use Safari on a Mac. The last couple of days I get this note: "There was a problem connecting to Aviary We should try this again a little later."

Well, I don't care. I will never use Aviary no matter what they do. Many of us love Flickr and want to stay there. Someone should make some good decisions on photo editing tools so that we can stay. Thanks for you help, Avi...! I know you guys are doing the best that you can. We can only hope that someone cares about our concerns and helps us.

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

said "They also promised us downloads of our Picnik work. Where is that feature?

That sounds like you're referring to the Picnik Takeout tool that lets you get a zip file of your saved photos on Picnik. You need to go to Picnik to get that: picnik.com/go/takeout

Brenda
(formerly of Picnik team)

view photos

Mikaela, a member of the Aviary technical support team will contact you directly through FlickrMail to help troubleshoot.

view photos

RIPizzo PRO says:

Find the Aviary okay for now, but would like to see improvements like zoom for better detail work.

view photos

Thank you, Brenda...! I will do that!

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

I am so unhappy that we were betrayed by Picnik when they said we had until April 19

Neither Picnik nor Flickr staff ever said that.

view photos

neuro PRO says:

I have the same problem as has.
Use Safari on a Mac and have NOT been able to get Aviary to work since it was made available.
Keep getting the "There was a problem connecting to Aviary We should try this again a little later."

Can someone from the Aviary staff advise??

view photos

neuro, we're looking into the problem. If we need additional information, a member of Aviary's technical team will contact you through FlickrMail to troubleshoot. Otherwise we'll post here when the problem has been resolved and apologize for the inconvenience!

view photos

Brenda, I am having trouble. I did go to the link that you provided. It took me to the "Order Takeout" and there was a note there that said, "You don't have any files waiting to go...!" Do you suppose this does not work for us now that Picnik is gone? Or, do you have another solution for me? I do appreciate any help that you can give me. Thank you...

view photos

neuro PRO says:

Avi Muchnick from Aviary
Thank you.

view photos

Paris-Roubaix PRO says:

In my opinion the quality of Aviary is rotten. Not a patch on picnic. The application is clumsy and poor with no close control. Why change a decent system to this tosh? Is it cheaper maybe?
Paris-Roubaix edited this topic 69 months ago.

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

There should be a button that says "New Order" or something like that.

Are you signed in to the account you usually use? If you go to the History tab, do you see photos there?

Are you a Premium member? if so, your best bet is to go to the Help menu on Picnik and click the "contact us" to contact Picnik staff. I don't work there any longer so I can't really help past this stage.

view photos

Thank you again, Brenda, for your kind help...! I will try all of your suggestions.

view photos

The Ewan PRO says:

Of course, anything that you've created in Picnik and then saved to Flickr will be on Flickr, and it won't be going away even when Picnik closes.

view photos

Byron Barrett PRO says:

I have two words for Aviary- P U

view photos

Byron Barrett PRO says:

Man I feel as if I've let Aviary off too easy.

Aviary is at best 4th rate. The men and women at Picnik should be proud of what they did for basic photo editing and Flickr should look into employing whatever is left over.

It looks to me that I'm going to have to mess about with photoshop or lightroom once again for even the smallest of edits, and that my friends is a proper bummer.

RIP Picnik

view photos

Meredith M! PRO says:

I experienced a bug in Aviary. I was using Aviary to crop some photos I uploaded this evening. For at least 2 of the photos, when I opened the photo in Aviary it showed me a photo that I had uploaded and edited yesterday. Each time, I closed the photo and opened the one I wanted a second time in order to edit it. The 'wrong' photo each time was the same one from yesterday (and not even the most recent photo I had edited in Aviary).

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16
(601 to 700 of 1,571 replies in [Official Topic] New Aviary Photo Edit tool -- Feedback and Bugs)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads