Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[BUG] Photostream: Count Incorrect, Missing Images, Album Issues
Latest: 11 minutes ago
[Fixing] Aviary broken again
Latest: 4 hours ago
Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 15 hours ago

Current Discussion

"All Activity" not working properly
Latest: 7 minutes ago
My Flickr mail Icon has disappeared!!!!!!!!
Latest: 12 minutes ago
Can not set my Flickr account and my photos public
Latest: 82 minutes ago
New uploaded photos to go first in my albums.
Latest: 85 minutes ago
Privacy Settings and Sharing
Latest: 89 minutes ago
Failure to edit reply
Latest: 2 hours ago
My photos were set to Moderate!
Latest: 2 hours ago
Photos will not upload starting 3/29/2017
Latest: 3 hours ago
my view count hasn't changed in hours?
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Bug] Seriously inflated stats
Latest: 8 hours ago
How to recover images
Latest: 10 hours ago
Trouble with changing lincenses
Latest: 14 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] New photo sizes & New display setting for Pro

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard PRO says:

Today, we added two new photo sizes 1600 & 2048 pixels and a new Image size display setting for Pro members.

The two new photo sizes are available for photos uploaded since March 1st and we do not currently have plans to backfill to photos uploaded before that.

For more information, check out our blog post and FAQ.

If you encounter any issues or have any feedback, please let us know in this topic.
Posted at 11:10AM, 3 May 2012 PDT ( permalink )

← prev 1 2 3
(1 to 100 of 292 replies in [Official Topic] New photo sizes & New display setting for Pro)
view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Cool!

I probably won't use it much on my main monitor - it's just *too* big for that, and I might end up minimizing my window first. But on the iPad it should rock.
Posted 60 months ago. ( permalink )
Lú_ edited this topic 60 months ago.

view photos

BlueisCoool says:

Very Nice new features!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Schill PRO says:

For the record, the new sizes look fantastic when full-screen on 24" widescreen LCDs.

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

The two new photo sizes are available for photos uploaded since March 1st and we do not currently have plans to backfill to photos uploaded before that.

That's a bit of a bummer. I know it's got a lot to do with computing resources firepower, but having a "generate BIG photos" option for each member either for the entire account or on a pic-by-pic basis would be fab. Lots of old faves won't get the awesome new sizes.

Also, congrats on implementing this (assuming March 1 is when it happened) even BEFORE I requested this feature. You are truly mind readers.

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

They do! I just have mine close enough to me for multiple-document work (that and a side monitor = lots of things full of words). It's less conducive to seeing the whole photo.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Nice!

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

I changed the settings in my account preferences but I'm not seeing anything different (I chose "best display" as the option). Is that because I'm viewing flickr on a very small, old, outdated Dell monitor (because my office is too cheap to pony up for something built within the last decade)?

view photos

loupiote (Old Skool) pro PRO says:

do the new sizes use the same "secret" as the smaller sizes? or do they have their own secrets?

also, why doesn't flickr lightbox and slideshow have an uption to zoom-up smaller images (using client-side high-quality bicubic interpolation) so that smaller images (e.g. 800 or 1000 pixels) could be displayed full-screen on a slightly larger screen?

most good image viewers (e.g. IrfanView on Windows) have this option in their slideshow, and it works really well, since most modern computers have fast processors allowing real-time bi-ubic zooming of large images.

view photos

visp PRO says:

They appear to have a new, separate secret

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

Also, is the "full screen" option in Lightbox view, new? That's cool.

view photos

They appear to have a new, separate secret

so there are new secrets returned by the Flickr API "flickr.photos.getInfo"?

view photos

visp PRO says:

- I haven't checked yet, I was only comparing static JPG URLs used in the lightbox.

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

<technical jargon>
Hi loupiote and visp -

Each of the new sizes has its own secret that differs from the regular secret and the original secret.

</technical jargon>

view photos

visp PRO says:

Thanks, that makes sense. I suppose these new sizes/secrets will not be accessible via the API, since the setting refers to "lightbox use" only?

view photos

thanks.

so those new secrets are returned by flickr.photos.getInfo ?

view photos

Alexis Birkill Photography PRO says:

Finally! I was uploading photos to Facebook over Flickr because the Facebook lightbox simply displayed them more impressively. Great to finally have our photos fill the screen, although I still think that it's a shame that two clicks are required to go from thumbnail to lightbox view.

I would, however, say that it is a disappointing choice not to be re-processing photos uploaded prior to March 1st.

view photos

i would really like an option for client-side bi-cubic interpolation of smaller images into full-screen size (in the slideshow and light-box).

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

loupiote - not yet! Coming soon. For now the new sizes are only available in the Lightbox.

view photos

Flickr Staff

pkingDesign PRO says:

asked if the new "Fullscreen" button in the light box is new.

Why yes, it is! Glad you like it.

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

Now I can't wait to get home to my 27" monitor because these changes are really lost here on the work computer.

view photos

The good news is that if you use the 'replace photo' option to re-upload a photo originally uploaded prior to March 1st, you get the new sizes.

view photos

Flickr Staff

deerkoski says:

The old lightbox was 1024 - so in fullscreen if your browser is 1024 or less, you won't see a difference, even with your size pref set to best - that is until you upgrade your hardware. :)

view photos

one thing i wonder is why is Flickr storing so many different image sizes on their image farm servers.

being a knowledgable software engineer, this makes little sense to me, since most computer have way enough processing power to resize images in real-time on the client side if a slightly smaller size is needed for display (and most modern browsers can do bicubic resizing). today's graphic cards can do that in a few miliseconds.

so the only gain is in the bandwidth use when those images are accessed, and the gain is probably small for most images (since they are not accessed that often). on the other side, the storage cost for flickr is huge.

i'm talking about sizes like "Small 240" vs "Small 320", "small 320" vs "small 500", "small 500" vs "small 640" etc... and even "1200" vs "1600".

another solution would be for flickr to generate odd sizes in real-time upon demand (when they are needed), and cache them just for a little while.
loupiote (Old Skool) pro edited this topic 60 months ago.

view photos

so i suppose that those new sizes will be returned by the flickr.photos.getSizes API, right?

view photos

Fullscreen" button in the light box is new

actually no, it's not new. fullscreen has always been there. it's called the F11 key (on windows) :)

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

Thanks. That seems to be the case here at the office (where theoretically, I shouldn't be spending all my time browsing photos on flickr at any rate).

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

in my experience, in-browser resizing looks like ass. And if there are some computers with enough processing power to make it look like not ass, that hardly creates a consistent user experience for everyone.

view photos

of course, flickr members must be aware that is they allow display of those new sizes (1600 and 2048 pixels), and if they upload their original images is sizes larger than those, they are giving everyone access to those larger 1600 and 2048 pixels images, even if they do not allow download of their images and don't allow access to their original (and even if they don't have a pro account).

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ross PRO says:

In reference to why we generate and store so many sizes when you could downsample on the client-side:

It isn't a matter of processing power on the client-side, it's a question of bandwidth and load times. We want the photo that is shown on the page to be as close to the dimensions of the photo transferred as possible, to reduce the extra bytes the member has to download and to reduce the amount of time it takes to show up on the page.

The difference between 500 and 640, in terms of number of pixels, is 40%. That is not trivial. I've done a lot of coding work for gains less than that.

view photos

The difference between 500 and 640, in terms of number of pixels, is 40%

i am fully aware of that :)

but still, i wonder what the user-experience impact really is, given thet networks and internet connectivity becomes faster and faster, and browsers become smarter and they download only the images that they need to display (the images that are off-screen are downloaded and cached in the background, not making pages to appear slower to load).

i understand flickr's rational, but i'm not convinced it's the best compromize for price / cost (on yahoo side) vs performances / usability (on user's side)...

view photos

in my experience, in-browser resizing looks like ass. And if there are some computers with enough processing power to make it look like not ass, that hardly creates a consistent user experience for everyone.

it was true with old browsers that were not able to do bi-cubic resampling / interpolation. now all modern browsers can do that, and in general it's the default setting (if not the default, it can be set by the user).

all my browsers (Chrome, FF, IE9) will do resampling / interpolation in the same quality as photoshop. they probably use hardware acceleration when available from the graphi card, o(e.g. OpenGL or the like) or MMX instructions from the processor.

most computer nowadays have graphic cards made to play 3D games, and they support openGL. so really, the percentage of 10-year old computers with no graphic cards is very small and decreasing all the times (and they are not supported anymore by software makers like MSFT and Apple). even computers with no graphic accelerators, e.g. netbooks, have processors with multimedia instructions (e.g. MMX) to do fast graphic processing.

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro says:

It is an interesting question. The Justified view in fact makes extensive use of client side resizing. For us the disk space isn't that big of a deal, but for users the bandwidth is a big deal, especially on slow and metered connections. At least, that's how we feel about it at the moment.

view photos

The Justified view in fact makes extensive use of client side resizing

good. although i don't like the new justified view, because it heavily penalizes vertical (portrait) images.

For us the disk space isn't that big of a deal

glad you had a good deal to buy a few more data farms :)

that's probably why the farm numbers will go multi-digit soon (from what i read in a message on the API mailing list)

view photos

ovillan PRO says:

Flickr said:

With this new setting Pro members can upload their original full resolution image and still have control over what is shown to the world.

Well, only if you use ©. If you use Creative Commons (CC) you have no control over that.

With (CC), even if you choose this options:

Who can access your original image files?: Your contacts
Largest shared image size: 1024 px

Flickr overrides them and offers full resolution / back up images to the world, being or not your contacts. I know that there are many people thinking that a (CC) image should be offered all full resolution for... say, moral reasons. But, why not let each user, even CC users, choose what to do with his own pictures? Why the options mentioned above does not work as they should? Its a technical question, not a moral question. If there are a little "moral decision" this should be in the hands of each user...

Excuse my amateur english :-)

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro says:

We like to buy hard disks, I'm pretty sure the company that sells them to us likes us a lot.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard PRO says:

"The good news is that if you use the 'replace photo' option to re-upload a photo originally uploaded prior to March 1st, you get the new sizes. "

This isn't correct. For photos uploaded before March 1 replacing won't create the new sizes.

view photos

Vox Sciurorum PRO says:

I don't see anything different in the photos/me/12345/sizes/l URL. It has a list of many sizes but nothing in between 1024 and original. Is that view not updated yet? Will it ever be?

view photos

Interesting. Or, to put it another way, you've fixed the bug? ;)

(I tried replacing two photos originally uploaded prior to March 1st, and a friend tried it on another, and for all three we got the new, big lightbox after replacing the image. We don't any more!)

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro says:

The new sizes will eventually be added to the all sizes page and the api, but not right away.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

Upon reading this thread, I thought we were talking about new photo display sizes for the photopage. (The opening post here doesn't say which page the new sizes will display on.)

But when I read the FAQ, it appears the new sizes are just for the lightbox?

If so, this is disappointing.

Or am I completely missing something here?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ross PRO says:

Today we are launching the new sizes just in the Light Box. They will arrive on other parts of the site very soon.

view photos

ptrkhahn PRO says:

oh good gracious me, YES!!!

view photos

Fake Truth PRO says:

Seems to be "F" key (to mark the photo as favorite) doesn't work in fullscreen.

view photos

Creepella Gruesome PRO says:

The full screen size in Light Box is very cool. Excellent work guys!! :)

view photos

I have images uploaded on May 2, but they not have the large sizes visible in the "View All Sizes" page. is that normal?

I can see that they have a new size (the "h" size, in 1600 pixel), with a new secret.

what is the letter for the 2000-pixel size?

and does it have the same secret as the "h" size? or does it have its own secret?

The new sizes will eventually be added to the all sizes page and the api, but not right away.

the sooner the better.

Today we are launching the new sizes just in the Light Box. They will arrive on other parts of the site very soon.

hopefuly in the slideshow too?
loupiote (Old Skool) pro edited this topic 60 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ross PRO says:

I'm guessing that you're using Safari or Chrome. Those browsers actually disable keyboard events for the letter and number keys when in fullscreen mode, much to our frustration.

We're attempting to work around this, but without much luck for now. Sorry!

view photos

vulture labs PRO says:

yeah!! these look great, congrats guys!!!

view photos

I'm guessing that you're using Safari or Chrome. Those browsers actually disable keyboard events for the letter and number keys when in fullscreen mode, much to our frustration.

that sucks!

did you contact Google and Apple, and did you file a bug report or Chromium?

view photos

i'm sure staff is happy about the general reaction to this improvement (compared to the Aviary fiasco).

one question: if you upload large images and do not allow download of your "original size" images, will you have control on the maximum pixel-size that people can download using the "download" link?

currently i only see a selection for the size that you allow on display.

also, when you will give access to the new secrets with the Flickr API, you have to be careful, some pro members may not want any images larger than 1024-pix to be made publicly available.

view photos

Settings to the preference will also affect the api. If a user chooses not to allow big sizes they will be completely unavailable. That's the reason for the new secrets!

it that's the case, then that should be documented somewhere. I couldn't find any mention of it.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ross PRO says:

This isn't a bug, it is a conscious design decision made by these browsers. That being said, a quick Google search will turn up already filed bugs on this issue.

view photos

Michele*mp PRO says:

Like I first thought the new sizes were available for the photopage and I was disappointed not to see any change. Then, I tried in Lightbox, and it's just great!

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro says:

I guess its assumed that the api will respect the same preferences the site has. Anyway, rest assured, the api will respect those choices. (sorry for accidentally posting from a test account there)

view photos

BB Photoworks PRO says:

The new photo sizes are nice. The thing I don't like is the all or nothing aspect of it. One has to let everyone be able to view the new sizes in the lightbox, or no one. At the moment, I allow my friends access to the original size, but not other people. It would seem intuitive that if I allow someone to view the original, I probably don't mind them being able to view any other size that's smaller than the original. The new setting should only apply to people that are not already allowed to see the original (people who can see the original should always also be able to see 1600 and 2048).

view photos

Soubrause says:

Why can't we limit size by contact level? ie: let Family see 2048, friends 1600, everyone 1024? Will API access be limited by permission levels?

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

BB Photoworks <------ That

view photos

heathth PRO says:

I am very schepticle about uploading images in high res on flicker at the moment.Just recently had one of my images amongst other photographers images I have viewed , copied from flicker,uploaded to another site,re-edited and now are up for public viewing.This is the website I have seen the images on idoflythings.tumblr.com/tagged/idftp

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

People will do that with even 500-wide images. Tumblr is very quick on takedown notices, though.

view photos

Flickr Staff

pkingDesign PRO says:

and asked why we don't let members determine who can see which sizes of photos. For instance, why don't we let members limit 2048px images to Friends only?

We thought a lot about this. Ultimately, we feel that larger photos create a more beautiful viewing experience on Flickr. Further, we feel that having consistently large photos while someone is browsing through photos is much, much more pleasant than having photos of different sizes mixed across the site. Building on this perspective, we didn't want to engineer things to let members give their friends or family a better viewing experience than the general public.

So if you're looking at recent uploads from your contacts, submissions to a group pool, or other contexts that have photos from many photographers, we think that showing a mix of smaller and larger photos creates a relatively poorer viewing experience. You'll notice some of what I'm referencing in that wonderful group pool link. Adding in levels of contact-ness on top of the existing mix of photo sizes that members upload would just add more fragmentation into the viewing experience.

That's some of our logic around the decision to not allow members to specify who can see which image sizes. We are absolutely committed to providing controls around who can access your originals, but not interested in impacting the viewing / browsing experience on Flickr with similar controls.
pkingDesign (staff) edited this topic 60 months ago.

view photos

cinephobia PRO says:

It's extremely disappointing that my old photos don't get the benefit of this. I had always assumed a redesign would up the size of lightbox displays at some point, and have stuck with flickr on that expectation. But now I'm faced with re-uploading hundreds of photos to have them display at an optimal size - even though the original uploads were plenty big enough to take advantage of the new larger size!

pkingDesign's comments above about "consistently large" photos and the downisde of "photos of different sizes mixed across the site" seems ironic in the context of a lightbox experience where size will depend on the date of upload.

Can this be reviewed?

view photos

Flickr Staff

phil dokas PRO says:

Good news! You can now fave from the keyboard with the F key in fullscreen lightbox in Chrome!

loupiote (Old Skool)

did you contact Google and Apple, and did you file a bug report or Chromium?

It’s on their radar. Chrome supports keyboard access in fullscreen mode if you go through special hoops which we now do. Safari 5.1.5 does not, but it turns out you can use keyboard shortcuts in nightly versions from nightly.webkit.org. This indicates they'll likely make keyboard access available in an upcoming release.

Fake Truth:

Seems to be "F" key (to mark the photo as favorite) doesn't work in fullscreen.

Fixed now in Chrome! Sorry about that!

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

Ross

Thanks for the answer. I'm looking forward to it. :-)

view photos

personne.de.chandigarh PRO says:

A picture measuring 3888X2592 uploaded in April still doesn't appear in the size shown in the Flickr Blog when viewed in full screen mode. Here's a screenshot.
Is this also being unrolled-out gradually?
personne.de.chandigarh edited this topic 60 months ago.

view photos

BB Photoworks PRO says:

said "We are absolutely committed to providing controls around who can access your originals, but not interested in impacting the viewing / browsing experience on Flickr with similar controls."

Well, you have done that. You provided a control that allows people to limit the maximum size viewable in the lightbox (which is a good thing). However, you then have the inconsistency that if someone does that, but allows certain people to see their originals, those people who can see their originals would be unable to see the large 1600 or large 2048.

view photos

Flickr Staff

pkingDesign PRO says:

-- You've correctly described a very possible combination of settings, but I don't believe there's a conflict with the reasoning that I described. Original files are not really part of the viewing / browsing flow on Flickr. They are accessible from the right-click menu or All Sizes link on photo pages, but you cannot browse through multiple photos from the All Sizes / Original page. As a practical matter, the availability of an original image has no impact on a viewers ability to page through a photostream, group pool, set, etc. So only your Family may have access to your originals for sharing purposes (for instance), but every viewer will see the same size images when they are viewing your photos.

The key difference here is the Originals aren't really intended for viewing, but more for access to the file itself. Originals aren't viewable in a context that lets you go to the next photo, and many originals aren't even rotated properly.

Hope that clarifies a bit. I understand that you want us to reconsider, but the best I can do is describe why we've made this choice. Thanks!

view photos

Flickr Staff

phil dokas PRO says:

personne.de.chandigarh:

I can explain the discrepancy you’re seeing between the blog post’s screenshot and the one you posted.

The important thing is that we always make sure to show the entire photo at once in the lightbox. In the blog post screenshot, the photo and the screen are both almost the same aspect ratio (4x3). Because of this we the lightbox can fill almost the entire screen with the photo.

In your screenshot, the photo is (3x2) but your screen is 16x9. So because we never crop an image we have to have some deadspace around it.

I hope this makes sense! The idea is that we always strive to show the biggest photo possible without cropping or upscaling, and for very large screens the new 1600 and 2048 sizes will help us do that in more cases.

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro says:

Hi everyone, I can't address every issue at the moment, because I am at home.

First, - without being at work I can't look at the metadata for the photo to see if this is a bug or not, I'll check tomorrow. Thanks Phil!

However, I'd like to address the issue of older photos. Believe me, we would love nothing better than to be able to show old photos at bigger sizes, but there are technical limitations that currently prevent it. We are exploring all options, and if we figure out a solution we will let you know.

view photos

we would love nothing better than to be able to show old photos at bigger sizes, but there are technical limitations that currently prevent it.

are the technical limitations related to the fact that those old images are located on farms that don't have enough storage to accommodate the new sizes?

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

protohiro So, let's say an iPad magically appears on my doorstep (it could happen), and I'm browsing Flickr in landscape mode when suddenly, BOOM!, a 1536 wide x 2048 pixel tall image shows up. I'm *guessing* that when I view the pic initially, the 1600-pixel tall image will open. But lo, wise I am, I rotate the iPad to be oriented in portrait mode. Now, will Flickr magically supply the 2048-pixel tall image (somehow I doubt it), and what happens when I slide over to the next image... does Flickr/ Safari know the current screen orientation/ resolution.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

I know this is for pro members only.. As a non paying member I would like very much to be able to turn off the larger sizes ... I would want the same if I was a pro member...

Turn off - Large 1024 (799 x 1024)

Turn off - Medium 800 (624 x 800)
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 60 months ago.

view photos

"..have to have some deadspace.."
Thanks.
Nice to know I am not being discriminated against. :-)
I'll try and upload some 16:9s to get max benefit out of the cool new feature.
It's a great idea.

view photos

uncoolbob PRO says:

Even on my 1600px screen at work, I quite liked having a bit of a black border around full screen photos. Now I have to push my chair back! ;-)

(I'm sure I'll get used to it.)

view photos

MabelAmber***Pluto5339***As yet incognito.... PRO says:

Never mind -- figured it out meanwhile.

view photos

Frank Yates2010 PRO says:

I use the desktop uploader, which some might find old hat, but it has the very nice benefit that I can let it resize my pics for me. Does this new uploader do that, or do i still have to mess around doing a manual resize at my end before flickr will accept them? Obviously it's better for me if I can let flickr do the resizing.

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro says:

The magic iPad described actually works as you said. We do know the orientation and always fetch the best image size. However, there is a bug/feature in mobile safari that results in 2048 images being down sampled to have half resolution. To work around that the largest size image we support on the iPad is 1600.
protohiro (staff) edited this topic 60 months ago.

view photos

Fake Truth PRO says:

Yea, I use Chrome for Mac.

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro says:

Hey everyone looks like the high res was not working on the iPad yesterday. It is now. Sorry about that!

view photos

hereandnowphotos has moved to ipernity says:

How do I stop Flickr from embiggening my 800x600 (or less) photos?

Contrary to a lot of users I wish to have my photos displayed in the resolution I have already downsized (and sharpened) them to. I don't want users having them stretched to a size Flickr decides. Nor do I want the slideshow, or lightbox or anywhere else on Flickr showing them as anything larger than the size I've uploaded.

Which settings do I make to ensure than any visitor to my photos or slideshows automatically views them as the original size (and nothing bigger!)? Without them all having to go into hidden options every single time.

In other words, how can I ensure that my photos are always displayed as I intended?

view photos

Flickr Staff

phil dokas PRO says:

hereandnowphotos.com:

Which settings do I make to ensure than any visitor to my photos or slideshows automatically views them as the original size (and nothing bigger!)?

Flickr should never be enlarging your photos. If you upload a photo below any of our standard sizes we'll make versions smaller than it, but never larger. If you're seeing enlarging anywhere please post a URL to it!

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

phil dokas I just looked at hereandnowphotos.com: photos
in slideshow.. They are stretched to the full size of the screen....

view photos

www.flickr.com/photos/j_hunt/sets/72157629965317175/show/

All of those are 800 max. Yet slideshow embiggen's them to fullscreen by default. I know I can go into options to switch it off for one session at a time every time I come onto Flickr, but none of my visitors know that. Why isn't the default to show photos as their actual size?

I was misled in the lightbox view as it says there is a 1024 version of my 800 pixel photo, but in fact it has the correct dimensions in smaller font in parentheses after that.

But that slideshow bug still exists. Which makes slideshows even more useless than they should be. For instance, why not allow a slideshow of a collection? There's a reason people put sets into collections.

view photos

no3rdw says:

Hey Flickr! I totally understand why you implemented these new features and I agree that viewing a lightbox on an iPad3 or similar-resolution device is going to look sweet with these larger-sized images.

But, I know some people (myself included) upload full-resolution copies of their photos, and rely on Flickr and the API to limit access to those files to 1024x1024. I am very appreciative that you left in the option to limit the largest shared image size to 1024px! But I also think this is kind of a major change which should be communicated to paying users in some method besides a post to the Flickr Blog which has already rolled off the homepage, just a day after the changes were implemented.

Ideally, the higher resolution would be opt-in, not opt-out... or instead, a closable banner at the top of the page (similar to the announcements of the redesign, etc) could appear when Pro users first login to their account to alert them to this change.

I posted my thoughts about the change to my stream. But again, thanks for keeping the option to make things stay the same.

And one request for the future. If you decide to remove the option to limit the largest shared image size, or do away with the 1024x1024 size setting, please include some kind of one-time-use-no-turning-back button to remove all uploaded files above 'x' resolution. There is no way I could take the time to resize and individually replace the 3000+ images I have currently hosted on Flickr. If that were to happen, it would pretty much force me to close my account. Which I never want to do!

Thanks

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro says:

Hi, the reason we didn't launch this size in the api and all sizes page yet was for exactly that reason: we wanted to give pro users a chance to adjust their settings before the full launch. Thanks for the feedback.

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro says:

- hey sorry, we misunderstood. The slideshow (rather than the lightbox) does enbiggen photos. We are working on bringing the new sizes to the lightboxslideshow. Now that we have them we'll look into not embiggening anymore.

view photos

Appreciate that. The fact is that even without supporting new sizes or any other size changes you could fix the slideshow very easily.

Just uncheck the embiggen option by default! If anyone actually wanted their photos stretched to the point of lunacy they could manually select the ruin my photos (sorry, I meant 'embiggen') box under options in the slideshow page.

view photos

Now that we have them we'll look into not embiggening anymore.

oh no, please don't!

please keep the user option to embiggen smaller images (if larger images are not available).

most of my images are uploaded in 800-pixel lo limit scrapping and illegal use of my photos, but i still want them to be "embiggen" on my slideshow.

this should always be a setting in the slideshow (i.e. a slideshow option). i prefer my slideshow to always embiggen images if large images are not available.

view photos

" oh no, please don't!"
What if some user does not want his or her pictures embiggened in a slide show when viewed by others?

view photos

i was referring to the setting of my slideshow. i don't care whether people want to embiggen by photos or not when they view them. i consider that this is their choice, not mine.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

I don’t understand why those of us that Don’t want to show the public our images in large, or full size, why we have to downsize our images before uploading them first.. Why can’t we just choose for ourselves as to what size each photo is displayed in our photo streams with settings.. I often have to upload a large photo and a downsized one of the same photo. I make the small one public and make the larger one private. It would be so much easier if we ourselves could set what size our photos are displayed at, on flickr without having to play about with them first..

view photos

sebastien.barre PRO says:

+1 on the Creative Commons issue, now would be a great time to fix this. If your photos are Creative Commons (CC) this settings just doesn't apply, your photos are available to the world at full resolution. I think putting photos in CC is already being pretty "nice", allowing a lot of people to use the photos online, but I'd like to be able to control revenues I could make from *large* prints, by limiting the resolution at least to small prints.

Thanks

view photos

Яick Harris PRO says:

I don't think there is a CC license that limits usage to online viewing. You're out of luck.

view photos

If your photos are Creative Commons (CC) this settings just doesn't apply, your photos are available to the world at full resolution.

i disagree. i have one photo with CC license, and there is nothing in the CC license terms that "forces" me to provide this photo to the world in the highest resolution that i have for the image.

in fact, i have not given anyone access to my original hi-res file. the image that i licensed with CC is only in 800-pixel size. i have not attached a CC license to the higher-resolution version of my image.

now, the question really is: when you attach a CC license to a flickr image, does the CC license applies to the highest resolution (pixel-size) file that you have uploaded to flickr? or can you control whether the CC license only apply to a lower resolution (pixel-size) version of the image (e.g. 1024-pixel). as far as i know, flickr does not provide the option to indicate what pixel-size the CC license applies to, so yes, it would seem that it applies to the original that you uploaded.

in my case, the CC image that i uploaded was uploaded in 800-pixel, so the CC license applies to this image (and not to the original high-res that i have on my hard-drive). well, that's my understanding.

view photos

"..setting of my slideshow.."
I don't know if such a facilitation, of different settings for different users in a slideshow, is feasible. Maybe it's been taken up in Flickr Ideas at some point in time. Can't say for sure.

view photos

ovillan PRO says:

I upload my photos to flickr at full resolution, with back up purposes. In the option Who should be able to access your original image files...? of my preferences, I checked only my contacts. Thus, if you go to this © photo, you will not see the full size version link... because you are not in my contacts list.

Now go to this other creative commons image. The options of my photostream are still exactly the same. But now you can see the original size link (at the right), because flickr overrides the original size access setting (improperly, IMHO). What I say is that this setting should work as expected in ALL cases, not only with © images.

And sorry if this is a little off topic, but I think, as sebastian, that now would be a great time to fix this.

view photos

Patrick Costello PRO says:

Are you gradually rolling out this feature? Because it hasn't made it to my account yet! Viewing my recent uploads in Lightbox I don't have any extra size options. My computer is set to 1980x1080.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Patrick, do you see anything at this link?
www.flickr.com/account/prefs/res
kmacgray edited this topic 60 months ago.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

This is how I would like to see the settings for each photo that the public see, so that some photos can be shown smaller than others. Whatever size for each photo we want to choose to display them at ...

Maximum Size:
Best display size (recommended)
Large 2048
Large 1600
Large 1024
Medium 800
Medium 640 * I choose to set this size for this photo.. 1
Medium 500
Small 320
--------------------------------------------------
Maximum Size:
Large 2048
Large 1600
Large 1024 * I choose to set this size for this photo.. 2
Medium 800
Medium 640
Medium 500
Small 320
----------------------------------------------------
Maximum Size:
Best display size (recommended) * I choose to set this size for this photo.. 3
Large 2048
Large 1600
Large 1024
Medium 800
Medium 640
Medium 500
Small 320
--------------------------------------------------------
Maximum Size:
Large 2048
Large 1600
Large 1024
Medium 800
Medium 640
Medium 500
Small 320 * I choose to set this size for this photo.. 4

view photos

Tom Finegan says:

Why is it taking forever to download 1 photo?

view photos

Tom Finegan says:

still waiting...

view photos

Tom Finegan says:

still waiting...

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3
(1 to 100 of 292 replies in [Official Topic] New photo sizes & New display setting for Pro)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads